Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB analysis suggests a double-digit bounce for PM Truss – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

If you want to save the Union you should vote Labour. The only party that will actually level up the country

What’s the point of “saving” an involuntary union? Even thickos must understand that a forced marriage is unsustainable.

If one party is holding a gun, it’s just rape.
    It's a voluntary Union. People voted for it. Much though it must pain you to admit it, the Union was endorsed by the voters in 2014. It's not an involuntary Union.
    The Union's inception wasn't voluntary in any modern sense, therefore presumably the only democratic mandate it has is the 2014 referendum. One democratic endorsement in 315 years and Unionists bleat on about the oppression of perpetual indy referendums, sheesh.
    Yes it was, the Scottish Parliament voted for the Union in 1707
    Which was not democratically elected.
    It wasn't legitimate?
    After the Darien scheme failed they were in an absolute bastard of a situation.
    Would have loved to have been around when the Darien scheme was being pitched. Just trying to imagine the sales brochure, was anyone around going "Hold on, this seems like the dumbest fucking idea since James II stood next to that cannon"?
    Hindsight, schmindsight. The English crown was making out like bandits via the Royal African Company (and the Scotland Company was established to trade with "Africa and the Indies") and making it look easy and who knows, but for opposition from RAC and EIC it might have worked? Also Scotland was so fucked at the time that OK it lost all its capital, but that was probably about 15s 6d in proper money.

mind You, if I set up a trading company I'd write down on a piece of paper What am I going to trade, and who with? at quite an early stage, and maybe not push things too hard till I had an answer
    England's earliest imperialist ventures were often complete disasters too, but they started earlier and so either learnt from previous mistakes, or just eventually got lucky.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

If you want to save the Union you should vote Labour. The only party that will actually level up the country

What’s the point of “saving” an involuntary union? Even thickos must understand that a forced marriage is unsustainable.

It's a voluntary Union. People voted for it. Much though it must pain you to admit it, the Union was endorsed by the voters in 2014. It's not an involuntary Union.
    The Union's inception wasn't voluntary in any modern sense, therefore presumably the only democratic mandate it has is the 2014 referendum. One democratic endorsement in 315 years and Unionists bleat on about the oppression of perpetual indy referendums, sheesh.
    It wasn't legitimate?
    Would have loved to have been around when the Darien scheme was being pitched. Just trying to imagine the sales brochure, was anyone around going "Hold on, this seems like the dumbest fucking idea since James II stood next to that cannon"?
    Hindsight, schmindsight. The English crown was making out like bandits via the Royal African Company (and the Scotland Company was established to trade with "Africa and the Indies") and making it look easy and who knows, but for opposition from RAC and EIC it might have worked? Also Scotland was so fucked at the time that OK it lost all its capital, but that was probably about 15s 6d in proper money.

mind You, if I set up a trading company I'd write down on a piece of paper What am I going to trade, and who with? at quite an early stage, and maybe not push things too hard till I had an answer
    "Anything"
    "Everyone"

Do pay attention!
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m
    In summary? There is no escaping the cost-of-living crisis. It will take many months, and much more living standards pain, before inflation starts to ease. The number one priority for the next PM is to offer significant support to help families through a brutal winter and beyond.

https://twitter.com/resfoundation/status/1561673277604597760

The government's first priority should be cheap, plentiful energy and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what Liz targets.

No doubt Truss will "target" it, although it doesn't seem to be a priority. But platitudes from her about supply-side won't get us cheap and plentiful energy. She would be a lot more useful if she helped people deal with energy being not at all cheap or plentiful.
  • 20% inflation fills me with mortal dread.
    What’s the quote? “I’m fucked, you’re fucked, we’re all fucked.”

Have you seen the price of prostitutes these days? Apparently.

All complaining about the rocketing price of hand-carved stone sex toys. So I hear.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It wasn't legitimate?

England's earliest imperialist ventures were often complete disasters too, but they started earlier and so either learnt from previous mistakes, or just eventually got lucky.
    And the posh Scots had got the hang of it by the time they started piling in to Dutch Guyana in the 1740s
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

It is not a forced marriage, Scots voted 55% to stay in the Union in the once in a generation 2014 referendum and even now polls are not vastly different.

Nationalists of course never accepted the result but Truss will just ignore them as long as she is PM and refuse indyref2
    Of course she will, young HY! Hmmm.... How well do you know Miss Trust? Do you really know her inner thoughts?
    Truss made clear she would never allow indyref2 on her watch as PM
    Don't you think that by disallowing SIndyRef2 Ms Truss not only pisses off rabid Scots Nats to save the Union, she makes matters worse in the end by pissing off the "don't knows" too, and thus guarantees she loses the Union?
    Yes, we're super concerned that the Don't Knows are going to vote Leave in the referendum we're not going to let them have.
    There is a certain inevitability about a Second Indy Ref. My point is when that time comes, those who might currently be minded towards the "Better Together" camp will be minded towards the f*** you English b******* camp if we keep deferring the vote.
    Rubbish. Giving in to Nats until they get the independence result they want with endless referendums is the problem.
  • FF43 said:

MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m
    In summary? There is no escaping the cost-of-living crisis. It will take many months, and much more living standards pain, before inflation starts to ease. The number one priority for the next PM is to offer significant support to help families through a brutal winter and beyond.

The government's first priority should be cheap, plentiful energy and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what Liz targets.

No doubt Truss will "target" it, although it doesn't seem to be a priority. But platitudes from her about supply-side won't get us cheap and plentiful energy. She would be a lot more useful if she helped people deal with energy being not at all cheap or plentiful.
    Not for this winter, anyway.

And it doesn't matter if Liz Truss PM wants cheap, plentiful energy. As was pointed out in Yes, Minister, Neville Chamberlian wanted to avoid World War II. The evil genius of Take Back Control as a slogan was that it told us what we wanted to hear; that governments could give us what we wanted if they were capable enough and responsive enough.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    moonshine said:

20% inflation fills me with mortal dread.
    What’s the quote? “I’m fucked, you’re fucked, we’re all fucked.”

Indeed. But look at it another way. We are essentially now in a conflict with the Bear that is highly likely to prove existential for the Russian leadership. At any point in our lifetimes if you’d been told the worst we’d have from that is a short sharp period of 20% inflation, you’d never have believed it.

Roaring 20s just around the corner
    #dontstopbelieving
    Is that roaring inflation ?

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It wasn't legitimate?

Yes, but you needed relatively deep national pockets to sustain the effort through early failures.
    This was more of a one-off roll of the dice.
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It wasn't legitimate?

Yes, but you needed relatively deep national pockets to sustain the effort through early failures.
    I'm not sure that's true. Portugal is the obvious counter-example.
    Aside from the oddity of holding an international tank wrangling competition in the middle of a war you started, it hasn't been a great advert for its arms customers' facility with the kit:
    https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1561408446422999047

I can't help feeling @Dura_Ace should have been given a crack.
  • The absolute state of business banking in this country. It largely shut down during Covid - weight of workload issuing government loans under wfh conditions. You couldn't open an account with high street banks barely at all.

It hasn't recovered much either. Need to open an account for a client's new entity,. Would prefer HSBC - who I have personal accounts and good history with. Website says you have to call to open an account. Phone number says you have to use live chat to open an account. Live chat offers a virtual appointment to start the opening process. At the end of September...
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    FF43 said:

MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m

If the default position of the main parties is that cheap plentiful energy is essentially impossible from now until doomsday, I would suggest they will not be main parties for that long.

• Banking wise I switched to First Direct a few months ago. They've been excellent.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

It is not a forced marriage, Scots voted 55% to stay in the Union in the once in a generation 2014 referendum and even now polls are not vastly different.

Nationalists of course never accepted the result but Truss will just ignore them as long as she is PM and refuse indyref2
    Of course she will, young HY! Hmmm.... How well do you know Miss Trust? Do you really know her inner thoughts?
    Don't you think that by disallowing SIndyRef2 Ms Truss not only pisses off rabid Scots Nats to save the Union, she makes matters worse in the end by pissing off the "don't knows" too, and thus guarantees she loses the Union?
    No, she passes off Nats which is fine as they just want indyrefs forever until they get independence.

The Don't Knows would be Starmer's problem not Truss' if he allowed indyref2 as Truss has made clear she will not allow indyref2 as PM
    Are you comfortable with the dissolution of the Union so long as it doesn't happen on the Conservatives watch?
    Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It wasn't legitimate?

I'm not sure that's true. Portugal is the obvious counter-example.
    They rolled the dice much earlier, and were luckier.
    There was no low hanging fruit for Scotland.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    narrator: inflation is now expected to reach 18.6% by January https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1445364929905758212

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

No, she passes off Nats which is fine as they just want indyrefs forever until they get independence.

The Don't Knows would be Starmer's problem not Truss' if he allowed indyref2 as Truss has made clear she will not allow indyref2 as PM
    Are you comfortable with the dissolution of the Union so long as it doesn't happen on the Conservatives watch?
    No but as we Tories will never allow indyref2 it is not an issue for us.

If Starmer got in reliant on the SNP and allowed indyref2 it would be up to him to win it with devomax etc. If he won it great, if he lost it then the Tories would switch to hard English Nationalism to take as tough a line as possible with the SNP in Scexit talks
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,756
    This seems an absurd thing for Labour to claim. Is the point so that the can claim how awful it is that she only got 6% or whatever?
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It wasn't legitimate?
    The main drivers for the Act of Union for both England and Scotland were religion and kingship, and in Scotland's case the threat of an English invasion if they didn't go ahead. What was the point of being invaded to prevent a Stuart king of Scotland that most of them didn't want anyway?

Darien was a factor, but not the key one.

Banking wise I switched to First Direct a few months ago. They've been excellent.

Ah yes Mr Battery. You seem to own a horse, and otherwise everything is correct.

Are you sure that horse insurance isn't needed?

And no insurance against exploding cows?

Have you considered our lifetime planner account where you'll get free insurance for elephant damage for all of your property in Iceland?
  • HYUFD said:

I don't doubt for a minute that you would approve of a parliamentary vote with a mandate from a fraction of 1% of the population.
    Under your logic then Scotland has only ever known democracy under the UK.

There are good reasons to seek independence. That your nation never had democracy before its independence was "lost" is not one of them.
    HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, we're super concerned that the Don't Knows are going to vote Leave in the referendum we're not going to let them have.
    There is a certain inevitability about a Second Indy Ref. My point is when that time comes, those who might currently be minded towards the "Better Together" camp will be minded towards the f*** you English b******* camp if we keep deferring the vote.
    Rubbish. Giving in to Nats until they get the independence result they want with endless referendums is the problem.
    I would wager if there was a Sindy2 Ref a year or two into a Labour Government (3 or 4 years from now) it will be nip and tuck. If the Conservatives win in 2024/5 and the PM reiterates no Sindyref2 for this Parliament, the demand for Independence becomes overwhelming more or less overnight. That being so the break up of the Union is at some point in the very near future inevitable.
    DavidL said:

This seems an absurd thing for Labour to claim. Is the point so that the can claim how awful it is that she only got 6% or whatever?

Has Morris hacked your account? Not a ScoobyDoo, I'm afraid.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926
    moonshine said:

I think it will double the capital cost of a circa 5kw system. But it means you a) have grid resilience (important in the sticks), b) can consume as much of your own power as possible rather than dumping summer kwh on the grid for little income, c) can make use of day/night tariff in winter to consume up to 13kwh of power in the daytime at night time prices.

I have heard that a) is not true of all battery+solar systems (the kit to handle it costs more, so there's a market for not having it), so if that criterion matters to you then check the specs on what you're getting, I guess.

(Disclaimer, I could be wrong, just relaying stuff second-hand from friends who've been looking into home solar.)
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

The absolute state of business banking in this country. It largely shut down during Covid - weight of workload issuing government loans under wfh conditions. You couldn't open an account with high street banks barely at all.

It hasn't recovered much either. Need to open an account for a client's new entity,. Would prefer HSBC - who I have personal accounts and good history with. Website says you have to call to open an account. Phone number says you have to use live chat to open an account. Live chat offers a virtual appointment to start the opening process. At the end of September...

You end up going to Starling or Tide and then moving things round later...

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

I would wager if there was a Sindy2 Ref a year or two into a Labour Government (3 or 4 years from now) it will be nip and tuck. If the Conservatives win in 2024/5 and the PM reiterates no Sindyref2 for this Parliament, the demand for Independence becomes overwhelming more or less overnight. That being so the break up of the Union is at some point in the very near future inevitable.
    So on your logic then you only ever want an indyref2 allowed under a Labour government. If the Tories allow an indyref2 either now or after an unlikely 6th general election victory they likely lose it
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It wasn't legitimate?

Probably worth reading the Anarchy to discover just how much the other trading companies were making it up as they went along....
  • Banking wise I switched to First Direct a few months ago. They've been excellent.

I used FD for a few years then upgraded to an HSBC Premier Account. They are excellent for personal banking. But business - with anyone - feels like banging my head against various walls.

I just rang my Premier account number to ask them if they had an internal number for business. They transferred me to a number which then hung up.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

If Starmer got in reliant on the SNP and allowed indyref2 it would be up to him to win it with devomax etc. If he won it great, if he lost it then the Tories would switch to hard English Nationalism to take as tough a line as possible with the SNP in Scexit talks
    Until Prime Minister HYUFD takes office no one will have done more to facilitate the break up of the Union than Boris Johnson. Given the chance, you will give him a run for his money.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited August 2022

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Possibly a month - until the first energy bills arrive in October.

Why is anyone switching on their heating in October? It's almost never cold enough to do so.
    Unrelated. The revised direct debits will hit in October as the energy companies factor in the latest price cap.
    There's a lesson there regarding direct debit agreements.
    MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m

If the default position of the main parties is that cheap plentiful energy is essentially impossible from now until doomsday, I would suggest they will not be main parties for that long.

I agree there is a medium to long term need for cheap non-carbon energy, which is wind and solar - that for bizarre reasons Truss and parts of the Conservative Party are adamantly opposed to. Maybe also tidal

In the meantime we have to learn how to get off Russian fossil fuels.
  • eek said:

The absolute state of business banking in this country. It largely shut down during Covid - weight of workload issuing government loans under wfh conditions. You couldn't open an account with high street banks barely at all.

No sir. Neither will open accounts for anything other than very simple businesses. Even my consultancy business was refused Starling - because I have clients in the EU despite all the work being done in the UK.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Starmer won't concede IndyRef2. It's why he's enlisted Gordon Brown to look at the constitution. If there's any movement it will be some sort of fudge that embraces the whole UK. In the event of a hung parliament he'll dare the SNP to vote him out and put in the Tories. I think he's said as much. Certainly, it's widely understood.

Banking wise I switched to First Direct a few months ago. They've been excellent.

I used FD for a few years then upgraded to an HSBC Premier Account. They are excellent for personal banking. But business - with anyone - feels like banging my head against various walls.

I just rang my Premier account number to ask them if they had an internal number for business. They transferred me to a number which then hung up.
    Small business gets a raw deal from banks. They neither have the buying power of corporates nor is it a commodity service like retail.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2022
    eek said:

Yup. None of the 'high street' banks seem to want to run small business accounts and we have just had to close one, although strangely for an account type they are abolishing, the person at the counter didn't actually know how to close it. They'll get around to it eventually, no doubt.

Starling it is. They don't give me great vibes but any port in a storm.

eek said:

No sir. Neither will open accounts for anything other than very simple businesses. Even my consultancy business was refused Starling - because I have clients in the EU despite all the work being done in the UK.
    Oh in which case you've got a problem because no-one else is opening accounts at any sane speed...
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 885
    On Topic. If Truss is such a certainty then hasn't her coronation already been priced in by responders to the opinion polls - with the latest showing Conservatives on 28% - not far from Canada territory!
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Omnium said:

Ah yes Mr Battery. You seem to own a horse, and otherwise everything is correct.

Are you sure that horse insurance isn't needed?

And no insurance against exploding cows?

Have you considered our lifetime planner account where you'll get free insurance for elephant damage for all of your property in Iceland?
    I have been with FD since 1990 and not had anything like that conversation
    Icarus said:

On Topic. If Truss is such a certainty then hasn't her coronation already been priced in by responders to the opinion polls - with the latest showing Conservatives on 28% - not far from Canada territory!

Quite possibly but leaders usually get a bounce and I don't believe when things settle down again that the Tories would be much below 28 or so %..
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

So on your logic then you only ever want an indyref2 allowed under a Labour government. If the Tories allow an indyref2 either now or after an unlikely 6th general election victory they likely lose it
    The problem you face is the harder the Westminster Government plays, the stronger the demands for Independence in Scotland. The politics that lead to the Irish Free State and the Troubles in Northern Ireland are markers for you. So it's not the Conservatives held out but Labour lost the Union anyway. Your team are facilitating the loss of the Union as we speak.
  • eek said:

Yup. None of the 'high street' banks seem to want to run small business accounts and we have just had to close one, although strangely for an account type they are abolishing, the person at the counter didn't actually know how to close it. They'll get around to it eventually, no doubt.

We're ineligible for Starling...
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    eek said:

Or not moving later...
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    eek said:

Icarus said:

Quite possibly but leaders usually get a bounce and I don't believe when things settle down again that the Tories would be much below 28 or so %..
    I think that's right - most respondents will only vaguely know her, seen her on TV a couple of times, maybe. We vastly overestimate how far people follow political news. When she's got the job there will be constant coverage for days as she names the cabinet and they have an emergency budget. I expect the bounce to last till the Labour conference, when the usual successive party peaks will intervene.
  • eek said:

eek said:

Oh in which case you've got a problem because no-one else is opening accounts at any sane speed...
    Trying to find them a safer harbour than Wise (stop laughing). My business has Revolut (daily) and Tide (FSCS protected safe harbour accounts. Neither are suitable for the client - Revolut won't let you have 2 business accounts on the same contact phone number, and Tide don't allow corporate ownership.
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Until Prime Minister HYUFD takes office no one will have done more to facilitate the break up of the Union than Boris Johnson. Given the chance, you will give him a run for his money.
    Little or no effort has been made by the government or by any of the Unionist parties to strengthen the union. Seriously, who gives a toss about regional parliaments in England? What needs to happen is CULTURAL. And not some idiotic waving of the Union flag either. Subsidise cultural festivals in parts of Britain that feature artists, musicians, etc. from other parts. Learn from the Edinburgh Festival, the Eisteddfod, etc. Let young people have a good time. Make the SNP look like the misery gut, xenophobic, dishonest, politician moneyheads that they are.

If for example the SNP-run Scottish government doesn't want to handle subsidy money to Scottish arts and musical groups to travel to other parts of Britain, fine. Let the British government pay them directly. That would probably cost the public purse less too. How many will say "Ugh no thanks, we don't want your money, and we don't want to travel either - you're just trying to bribe us, you English b***ards". If you actually treat people on the assumption that they are open-minded and non-xenophobic, they're more likely to be.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Nigelb said:

Aside from the oddity of holding an international tank wrangling competition in the middle of a war you started, it hasn't been a great advert for its arms customers' facility with the kit:

Full send from Iran. 👍 🇮🇷

Their revolution is beautiful.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

eek said:

I moved my ISA to Cynergy on someone's recommendation, and have been caught by their handling of rising interest rates, in that they offer a much higher ISA rate to new customers. As you can't open two cash ISAs in a year, you're stuck with the old rate until 12 months have passed. All perfectly legal but hasn't endeared me to them. Good old Premium Bonds remain the best bargain for cash from higher-rate taxpayers.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

The problem you face is the harder the Westminster Government plays, the stronger the demands for Independence in Scotland. The politics that lead to the Irish Free State and the Troubles in Northern Ireland are markers for you. So it's not the Conservatives held out but Labour lost the Union anyway. Your team are facilitating the loss of the Union as we speak.
    No we aren't, for as you have just said am indyref2 is far more likely to be lost under a Conservative majority than Labour led government. So Unionists should welcome the Tory government refusing indyref2 until a Labour government gets in and maybe decides to allow it after all, perhaps with devomax.

It is also nothing like the creation of the Irish Free State as Ireland did not have Home Rule then as Scotland has Home Rule now via Holyrood. Nor does Scotland have the history of terrorism NI does
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    MISTY said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ukranian military admits that their casualties are “Nearly 9000” soldiers, over the past six months.

Their figure for Russian casualties is 45,400.

I think I would have phrased that 'Ukrainian military admits to casualties of nearly 9,000 soldiers.' The true figure might well be higher.

However, they have been fighting a mostly defensive war, which does generally have lower casualties than an aggressive war.
    Its very difficult to criticise the Ukrainian military at all because that's like being in league with Putin, and accords you 'Russian Troll' status.

A journalist acquaintance recently spent some time in Ukraine and said that serious issues with Western equipment and the black market do exist, but nobody wants to talk about these currently.
    It is perfectly possible to criticise the Ukrainian military. However, when doing so it is good not to jump into Russian troll language (*) or to start talking how your 'alternative' information sources are better - even when they've led you to being a stupid ass in the past. Or to blame the Ukrainians (or the west) for the conflict - as some on here shamefully have.

Most of all: it is important to criticise with the understanding that Ukraine are the victim in all of this. They did not expect this invasion (though perhaps they should), or deserve it. They are having to react. They are generally the innocents in this, not the aggressors.

Also, I'd disagree that 'no-one wants to talk about these currently'. Just the other day there were many comments on how some German equipment was proving rather prone to breakage. e.g.: https://militarywatchmagazine.com/article/german-weapons-poor-failing-ukraine-turkey
    https://gagadget.com/en/152233-der-spiegel-german-panzerhaubitze-2000-howitzers-are-failing-due-to-high-intensity-of-firing-by-the-ukrainian-armed-force/

(*) I'm not accusing you of this

eek said:

eek said:

Trying to find them a safer harbour than Wise (stop laughing). My business has Revolut (daily) and Tide (FSCS protected safe harbour accounts. Neither are suitable for the client - Revolut won't let you have 2 business accounts on the same contact phone number, and Tide don't allow corporate ownership.
    Surely that's trivial to get around?
    FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m

I agree there is a medium to long term need for cheap non-carbon energy, which is wind and solar - that for bizarre reasons Truss and parts of the Conservative Party are adamantly opposed to. Maybe also tidal

Well if you think that message is going to stand through this winter, best of British.

Truss is apparently looking at unwinding the mechanism whereby rising electricity prices must lift all boats, netting green producers big profits.

Let the green producers supply cheaply, if they can.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    Nigelb said:

Given he's currently absent, are we sure he's not driving the Iranian entry? The whole Arabic course thing could easily be a cover story.
    edited August 2022
    Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Little or no effort has been made by the government or by any of the Unionist parties to strengthen the union. Seriously, who gives a toss about regional parliaments in England? What needs to happen is CULTURAL. And not some idiotic waving of the Union flag either. Subsidise cultural festivals in parts of Britain that feature artists, musicians, etc. from other parts. Learn from the Edinburgh Festival, the Eisteddfod, etc. Let young people have a good time. Make the SNP look like the misery gut xenophobic politician moneyheads that they are.
    Yes I am sure a Union Jack festooned version of the Edinburgh Festival or Glastonbury featuring young Unionists will turn even the hardest of Nats to diehard Yoons

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Starmer won't concede IndyRef2. It's why he's enlisted Gordon Brown to look at the constitution. If there's any movement it will be some sort of fudge that embraces the whole UK. In the event of a hung parliament he'll dare the SNP to vote him out and put in the Tories. I think he's said as much. Certainly, it's widely understood.
    He can do that if Labour have most seats in a hung parliament. If the Tories have most seats though but Labour plus SNP have more seats than the Tories he would need to offer the SNP a big carrot to make him PM
  • Driver said:

eek said:

eek said:

Surely that's trivial to get around?
    If that was the only barrier, yes. But as they are not FSCS protected they don't want to use it to hold any balances...

eek said:

Icarus said:

I think that's right - most respondents will only vaguely know her, seen her on TV a couple of times, maybe. We vastly overestimate how far people follow political news. When she's got the job there will be constant coverage for days as she names the cabinet and they have an emergency budget. I expect the bounce to last till the Labour conference, when the usual successive party peaks will intervene.
    Voters will not thank you for the emergency budget -there will be losers who will be pissed off and the gainers (if any) wont thank the government. If they don't stop the KWh rate increasing then the loudest cries of foul will be from people in big houses - most of whom are expected to vote Tory.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    edited August 2022
    Dynamo said:

Andy_JS said:

eek said:

Possibly a month - until the first energy bills arrive in October.

Why is anyone switching on their heating in October? It's almost never cold enough to do so.
    Unrelated. The revised direct debits will hit in October as the energy companies factor in the latest price cap.
    There's a lesson there regarding direct debit agreements.
    Direct debits simply smooth the underlying bill. One piece of advice that needs to be very heavily pushed is for people to take and record meter readings on the dates the tariff changes if they're on standard.
    MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m

Well if you think that message is going to stand through this winter, best of British.

Truss is apparently looking at unwinding the mechanism whereby rising electricity prices must lift all boats, netting green producers big profits.

As I say there is a medium to long term need for cheap green energy, so no dispute there.

The immediate need is for energy. At any price.
    Icarus said:

eek said:

Icarus said:

Voters will not thank you for the emergency budget -there will be losers who will be pissed off and the gainers (if any) wont thank the government. If they don't stop the KWh rate increasing then the loudest cries of foul will be from people in big houses - most of whom are expected to vote Tory.
    I think that's true of any budget: the losers often know they're losers and don't like it, whilst the winners don't know, or are not particularly thankful.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Given he's currently absent, are we sure he's not driving the Iranian entry? The whole Arabic course thing could easily be a cover story.
    J'y suis. J'y reste.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Scott_xP said:

narrator: inflation is now expected to reach 18.6% by January https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1445364929905758212

The thing that worries me is the Truss camp potentially making this much worse.

edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Little or no effort has been made by the government or by any of the Unionist parties to strengthen the union. Seriously, who gives a toss about regional parliaments in England? What needs to happen is CULTURAL. And not some idiotic waving of the Union flag either. Subsidise cultural festivals in parts of Britain that feature artists, musicians, etc. from other parts. Learn from the Edinburgh Festival, the Eisteddfod, etc. Let young people have a good time. Make the SNP look like the misery gut xenophobic politician moneyheads that they are.
    Yes I am sure a Union Jack festooned version of the Edinburgh Festival or Glastonbury featuring young Unionists will turn even the hardest of Nats to diehard Yoons
    You should read what I wrote again.

I'm not talking about winning over diehard Nats, or politics, or waving the Union flag. I thought I'd made all of those points clear. I am talking about improving and strengthening the Union though. You do realise it is possible to hold for example a Scottish-themed cultural event outside of Scotland? And furthermore, that Scotland has voted numerous times in favour of the Union? The Union has to improve or die. And perhaps if you weren't so politically-minded you might realise that that's fundamentally a cultural issue. I am in favour of the Union improving, without the focus being on only doing the minimum necessary to win another referendum if one is held.

The main message of the SNP nasties is that "English people don't let you do stuff". Pull the damned rug from under the SNP's feet. Win even more of the middle ground.
    Icarus said:

eek said:

Icarus said:

I think Truss's choice of chancellor matters far more than her role. I see no good candidates. Gove is the only senior figure who might be vaguely ok.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

eek said:

I have a Starling current account. It works just fine.
    edited August 2022
    FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m

As I say there is a medium to long term need for cheap green energy, so no dispute there.

We can also ask ourselves why we arrived where we are. The West hasn't had energy crunches for decades, despite often seeing conflicts in or near major hydrocarbon producing areas. Why are we getting them now?

Obviously Russia is a big factor, but it is far from the only factor. The fact is, there are huge problems relying on solar and wind as they stand right now. They cannot bear the burden.
    Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

You should read what I wrote again.

I'm not talking about winning over diehard Nats, or politics, or waving the Union flag. I thought I'd made all of those points clear. I am talking about improving and strengthening the Union though. You do realise it is possible to hold for example a Scottish-themed cultural event outside of Scotland? And furthermore, that Scotland has voted numerous times in favour of the Union? The Union has to improve or die. And perhaps if you weren't so politically-minded you might realise that that's fundamentally a cultural issue.
    How is a Scottish themed cultural event in England going to suddenly strengthen the Union? It could be Scottish Nationalists doing it for example to push Scottish culture.

Devomax might win a handful of Unionist waverers over but nothing else will make the slightest difference to Yes or No voters
    edited August 2022

Scott_xP said:

Why not examine the policies that got us to where we are now, and why they got us there?
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Scott_xP said:

I am calling peak UK inflation panic.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    The blue book data looks a lot better than the initial GDP figure that we had pencilled in. I think the UK doesn't even register in the bottom half for COVID recessions with that 11% contraction figure.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2022

eek said:

We're ineligible for Starling...
    Oh dear. Starling are rather fussy, I hear, even for businesses that are supposedly eligible.

Is there some money laundering regulation that is causing this trouble, or is there some Covid loan related storm coming? I'd have thought that business accounts would be more profitable.

You have to think that all these bank-in-a-box companies are a bit here today, gone tomorrow.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

Why not examine the policies that got us to where we are now, and why they got us there?
    Gas was the convienient stop off between old fossil and fully green....
    Literally blowing up our prior capabilities to use oil & coal instead of mothballing for emergency high gas prices wasn't the best idea in hindsight.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited August 2022

HYUFD said:

I don't doubt for a minute that you would approve of a parliamentary vote with a mandate from a fraction of 1% of the population.
    Under your logic then Scotland has only ever known democracy under the UK.

There are good reasons to seek independence. That your nation never had democracy before its independence was "lost" is not one of them.
    What logic is that, chief? My irrefutable point was that the Union has had one democratic endorsement in 315 years, you types have had 2 swipes against the tyranny of low suck vacuum cleaners in 41.

Omnium said:

Icarus said:

eek said:

Icarus said:

I think Truss's choice of chancellor matters far more than her role. I see no good candidates. Gove is the only senior figure who might be vaguely ok.

But Zahawi is surely a certainty for Chancellor. There would be no chance of an emergency budget in September if they change CoE now. Of course the fact that Truss has promised at least 3 others that they are in line for the job may cause some problems.
    Icarus said:

Omnium said:

Icarus said:

eek said:

Icarus said:

But Zahawi is surely a certainty for Chancellor. There would be no chance of an emergency budget in September if they change CoE now. Of course the fact that Truss has promised at least 3 others that they are in line for the job may cause some problems.
    Interesting use of the word "fact" there.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited August 2022
    Icarus said:

Omnium said:

Icarus said:

eek said:

Icarus said:

Truss chancellor will be Kwasi Kwarteng

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/05/kwasi-kwarteng-low-tax-tory-frontrunner-for-next-chancellor?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

I’ve been with them for decades and that has (almost) invariably been the case. Good choice.
    Scott_xP said:

What we have here is Boris Johnson, World beating inflation. Be proud, be very proud!

Icarus said:

Omnium said:

Icarus said:

eek said:

Icarus said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/05/kwasi-kwarteng-low-tax-tory-frontrunner-for-next-chancellor?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    I don't think so, and the idea that the Guardian is well informed is laughable.
    Allegedly someone has been smoking on the Antonovsky bridge (a bridge into Kherson) again:
    https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1561666285041336324
  • Omnium said:

Icarus said:

Omnium said:

Icarus said:

eek said:

Icarus said:

It has long been muted Truss will appoint Kwarteng and from multiple sources

Indeed he is acting jointly with Zahawi at present

Anyway, not much longer to wait
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

No we aren't, for as you have just said am indyref2 is far more likely to be lost under a Conservative majority than Labour led government. So Unionists should welcome the Tory government refusing indyref2 until a Labour government gets in and maybe decides to allow it after all, perhaps with devomax.

It is also nothing like the creation of the Irish Free State as Ireland did not have Home Rule then as Scotland has Home Rule now via Holyrood. Nor does Scotland have the history of terrorism NI does
    Best put on your tin hat just in case.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Different day, same story…

“Ukraine war: Fiery explosion as Himars halt repairs to key supply bridge in occupied Kherson”
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/08/22/ukraine-russia-news-war-latest-live-updates-putin/

Who’d want to be in a Russian engineering brigade, trying desparately to get a bridge open across the river near Kherson?

Scott_xP said:

What we have here is Boris Johnson, World beating inflation. Be proud, be very proud!
    Not quite

It is already higher in some Baltic states
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    Ad majoram dei gloriam

Leon said:

Ad majoram dei gloriam

Could you not get a closer shot from space?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

Scott_xP said:

Except every month we keep getting told it's peaking, and it will be going down again soon.

Here's an 11% prediction from *checks notes* June

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1537900989172158465

And another one from *checks notes* two weeks ago predicting a peak of 13%

https://twitter.com/HousePriceMania/status/1555291236298366976

What makes you think it's going to peak any time soon?

Buy shares in wheelbarrows. And bitcoin. And gold.

Scott_xP said:

Not quite

If it were a positive badge of honour for Boris Johnson I think we could be expected to discard Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia as not in the same league.
  • Omnium said:

Icarus said:

Omnium said:

Icarus said:

eek said:

Icarus said:

It has long been muted Truss will appoint Kwarteng and from multiple sources

Indeed he is acting jointly with Zahawi at present

Anyway, not much longer to wait
    Kwasi Kwarteng is 1.3 to be Chancellor of the Exchequer with Smarkets. There is almost no liquidity on any of the other named candidates (and remember, it might be someone who is not on the list).
    https://smarkets.com/event/42828541/politics/uk/cabinet/2022/09/10/12-00/next-chancellor-of-the-exchequer
    MaxPB said:

The blue book data looks a lot better than the initial GDP figure that we had pencilled in. I think the UK doesn't even register in the bottom half for COVID recessions with that 11% contraction figure.

What period does -11% cover? I have a 21.5% decline in UK real GDP between Q4 19 and Q2 20 and a 9.3% decline if we look at 2020 as a whole vs 2019. For both measures that is the worst performance in the G7.
  • Elections watchdog ‘turned a blind eye to voter fraud for fear of offending woke sensibilities’
    Greg Clark tells regulator to do more to stop 'cultural practice of husbands being allowed to instruct their wives' in the voting booth

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/22/elections-watchdog-turned-blind-eye-voter-fraud-fear-offending/ (£££)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m

We can also ask ourselves why we arrived where we are. The West hasn't had energy crunches for decades, despite often seeing conflicts in or near major hydrocarbon producing areas. Why are we getting them now?

Obviously Russia is a big factor, but it is far from the only factor. The fact is, there are huge problems relying on solar and wind as they stand right now. They cannot bear the burden.
    How about you compare power prices in European countries that depend most on renewables with those that rely on fossil fuels?

It should only take you five minutes, as the data is all out there.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    edited August 2022
    FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m

Ultimately, the amount of gas available globally that is available to import has dropped about 15%. Part of this is because Russia has dramatically reduced flows to Europe, part is because most countries aren't buying Russian LNG. And part is because global LNG capacity has effectively dropped because distances have increased (and therefore so have transit times).

The world needs to reduce their usage of imported gas by 15%.

We in the West can afford to pay up (somewhat). But what of Pakistan or Turkey? Those countries were poor before.

Right now, the reduction in gas usage is falling predominantly on the very poorest countries. One of the reasons why Pakistan is really struggling is because we - and Germany and Spain etc. - are outbidding it for LNG cargoes.
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_xP said:

Except every month we keep getting told it's peaking, and it will be going down again soon.

Here's an 11% prediction from *checks notes* June

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1537900989172158465

And another one from *checks notes* two weeks ago predicting a peak of 13%

https://twitter.com/HousePriceMania/status/1555291236298366976

What makes you think it's going to peak any time soon?

Buy shares in wheelbarrows. And bitcoin. And gold.
    I just don't see where Citi get their 18.6% forecast from to be honest. I am not saying inflation has peaked already - I reckon it will probably be around 16% next January and that will be the peak - but I think this 18.6% forecast may be peak inflation panic. Apart from anything else, the higher the gas price spike, the more likely the government is to intervene and cap it. And if they institute general measures to cap the price rather than targeted transfers to poorer households - which is more likely the higher prices go and the more people can't afford the increase - then the ONS will record that in the CPI numbers.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited August 2022

Scott_xP said:

Not quite

And Greece, Hungary, Poland, Czechia, the Netherlands and Spain, etc.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate, https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate?continent=europe

How they must be regretting leaving the EU, just as Japan and Switzerland with their very low inflation rates are lucky they stayed in.
    Fishing said:

Scott_xP said:

Not quite

And the Netherlands and Spain.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/inflation-rate

How they must be regretting leaving the EU, just as Japan and Switzerland are lucky they stayed in.
    It's not 18% plus inflation in Netherlands and Spain is it? If it is and in France, Germany and Italy too, thank goodness we left. 10% doesn't seem so bad when all other EU states are worse. Sorry I dissed you Boris.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    Not sure if this has been noted, but Euro has dropped well below parity with dollar today. Gas, presumably.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

FF43 said:

MISTY said:

Resolution Foundation
    @resfoundation
    ·
    37m

Ultimately, the amount of gas available globally that is available to import has dropped about 15%. Part of this is because Russia has dramatically reduced flows to Europe, part is because most countries aren't buying Russian LNG. And part is because global LNG capacity has effectively dropped because distances have increased (and therefore so have transit times).

The world needs to reduce their usage of imported gas by 15%.

We in the West can afford to pay up (somewhat). But what of Pakistan or Turkey? Those countries were poor before.

Right now, the reduction in gas usage is falling predominantly on the very poorest countries. One of the reasons why Pakistan is really struggling is because we - and Germany and Spain etc. - are outbidding it for LNG cargoes.
    The only positive in all this is Putin has fecked his country for a generation. No one will trust their energy or commodities from RU for a very long time after this. As this is all they have they are screwed.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited August 2022

Fishing said:

Scott_xP said:

Not quite

How they must be regretting leaving the EU, just as Japan and Switzerland are lucky they stayed in.
    It's not 18% plus inflation in Netherlands and Spain is it? If it is and in France, Germany and Italy too, thank goodness we left. 10% doesn't seem so bad when all other EU states are worse. Sorry I dissed you Boris.
    Not yet in those countries though it is in the Baltic States but nor is it here either and there's no reason at all to think it will be any different in a few months when we're there.

Oh, yes and the French have only kept their rate down by dumping the loss into EdF's balance sheet.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

Fishing said:

Scott_xP said:

Not quite

It’s not January 2023 in the Netherlands either, is it?

Changing topic completely, was a conclusion arrived at on who among the G7 leaders Trump was briefed enjoyed bum sex?
This discussion has been closed.