Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Clash: London calling for Corbyn? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2022 in General
imageThe Clash: London calling for Corbyn? – politicalbetting.com

Cracking scoop by @journoamrogers – Jeremy Corbyn is being urged by allies to run for London mayor in 2024.https://t.co/8dQMOh6e7b

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    Oh Jeremy Corbyn.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,560

Oh Jeremy Corbyn.

Your return would be about as welcome as that of Boris.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,010
    Oh please. Oh please. The Jeremy coming in behind Larry the Cat and Steve Bray would be top quality entertainment.
  • Why should I not be able to travel to France, I didn't vote for Brexit and was happy with it how it was before.

Why not even try to appeal to the 48%?
  • Is it even the case Sadiq will definitely run again?

IMHO I think he might stand as an MP again and get into KS's cabinet.
  • Why should I not be able to travel to France, I didn't vote for Brexit and was happy with it how it was before.

What are you talking about? You can travel to France if you want to, its up to the French to facilitate that.

Just as it was in 2015 when all this happened pre-Referendum.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited July 2022
    Corbyn is 73 years old, and as the header notes, will be 75. It's not going to happen.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

Why should I not be able to travel to France, I didn't vote for Brexit and was happy with it how it was before.

No one is stopping you travelling to France. There are many ways to get there. One of them has had some queues in recent days for a variety of reasons that both the U.K. government and the the french have lied about.
  • 2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Why should I not be able to travel to France, I didn't vote for Brexit and was happy with it how it was before.

What are you talking about? You can travel to France if you want to, its up to the French to facilitate that.

So you are in favour of a bilateral deal to remove the UK from the non-EEA requirement for passport stamps and biometrics checks?

You say "the French" but it isn't up to them. The EU require it.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Betfair next prime minister
    1.53 Liz Truss 65%
    2.92 Rishi Sunak 34%

Next Conservative leader
    1.52 Liz Truss 66%
    2.92 Rishi Sunak 34%

So you are in favour of a bilateral deal to remove the UK from the non-EEA requirement for passport stamps and biometrics checks?

No.

I'm in favour of the French having enough staff to man their border checks. Just as other nations manage all over the planet.
  • It feels like Rishi has given up. Nothing is going to change Truss winning now IMHO

It feels like Rishi has given up. Nothing is going to change Truss winning now IMHO

Why on earth do you say that? In what way haas he given up?
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Well done, we've gone from having tailbacks every time the French go on strike to having tailbacks every time English schools go on holiday.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    FPT Tory Members in Scotland.
    nova said:

What I'd find really helpful for my betting is a breakdown of Conservative Party membership demographics.

I'm assuming those still in work and paying off mortgages will go for Sunak, but will be outnumbered by those 55+ who do neither and rather fancy higher interest on their savings.

I’d love to see a breakdown of Con membership by country.

Guesstimate:
    England 90%
    Wales 5%
    Scotland 2%
    NI + overseas 3%
    There are plenty of figures here:

Scotland membership is a chart, so not sure exactly, although I think I remember 5-6% which does look to match.

https://www.ft.com/content/1454fe21-5b2e-459c-966c-65fd48d52f8f
    I question that. More like 10% of Conservative Members in Scotland. Tories have the largest % of Scottish members of any major UK-wide party - Greens are 4 parties and IMO don't count as major.

Guardian Aug 2019:

Commons Library 2019 reporting 2017

:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/21/more-than-half-of-tory-members-would-ruin-party-over-brexit
    https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05125/SN05125.pdf
    edited July 2022

It feels like Rishi has given up. Nothing is going to change Truss winning now IMHO

Why on earth do you say that? In what way haas he given up?
    Watching the current French pantomime makes me a little sympathetic to having Truss as PM, especially if she follows through this time with Macron rather than Boris talking a big game and sitting on his butt.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    edited July 2022
    Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Well done, we've gone from having tailbacks every time the French go on strike to having tailbacks every time English schools go on holiday.
    Feels to me that finally the advocates of Brexit might be called to account. There have been absolutely no benefits, and plenty of drawbacks. People are beginning to realise they’ve been had.

https://youtu.be/_8mduTEvnU0
  • Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

We've gone from having tailbacks every time the French screw things around, to having tailbacks every time the French screw things around.

The French aren't manning their border posts. What did you expect to happen when the French don't man their border posts? Has f**k all to do with Brexit.

If the French don't want tourists, the public should react accordingly.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,847

Betfair next prime minister
    1.53 Liz Truss 65%
    2.92 Rishi Sunak 34%

Next Conservative leader
    1.52 Liz Truss 66%
    2.92 Rishi Sunak 34%

Broken sleazy Liz on the slide?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Another QTWTAIN

No.

I'm in favour of the French having enough staff to man their border checks. Just as other nations manage all over the planet.
    After the initial "half the booths are empty" report there were plenty that all booths were full. Dover asked for £33m to double the posts and got £33k. And where would we put a vast number of border posts in Dover...?

Border queues are entirely normal all over the planet. As anyone trying to get into the US or Heathrow is well aware.

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

We've gone from having tailbacks every time the French screw things around, to having tailbacks every time the French screw things around.

The French aren't manning their border posts. What did you expect to happen when the French don't man their border posts? Has f**k all to do with Brexit.

Brexit means every child in every coach for every school trip has to have their passport stamped.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Feels to me that finally the advocates of Brexit might be called to account. There have been absolutely no benefits, and plenty of drawbacks. People are beginning to realise they’ve been had.
    If not for Brexit, we might not have the prospect of a reformer like Liz Truss becoming Prime Minister, and would instead be stuck with Osborne or Miliband.
  • Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Brexit means every child in every coach for every school trip has to have their passport stamped.
    So what?

Have enough staff to do the stamps then.

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

If not for Brexit, we might not have the prospect of a reformer like Liz Truss becoming Prime Minister, and would instead be stuck with Osborne or Miliband.
    “A reformer”. LOL

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

It's your policy and it's your queue. Stop crying about the French.
  • Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

The Frogs have always caused queues, nothing new. Let them deal with it, I couldn't care less.

Don't travel to France if you don't like it.

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

The Frogs have always caused queues, nothing new. Let them deal with it, I couldn't care less.

You go to a lot of trouble posting old photographs for someone who couldn't care less. :)

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

How long does it take to drive the coach off the ferry and go, vs drive it off. Park up. Line up all the kids, do biometrics, stamp their passports, then reload them and set off?

As there is nowhere to park lines of coaches at Dover, that means a big queue. Every single time. Not every time there is a strike or boats break down. You post photos of those saying "is this Brexit" which demonstrates to all of us that you are a daft sod. We know - and YOU know - what is going on. But are saying the sky is green because of some kind of political delusion.

Please stop. You have more intelligence than this.

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

When are the tickets going onsale for your opening gig, William?

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

How do "the French" deal with "queues" which are in Kent?
    Back on topic, I think this says more about the Jezbollah cult than it does Corbyn himself. He is an old man - are they really claiming there is nobody else in their hard left movement who can represent them?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054
    Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Is the EUs refusal to allow us group passports for school trips a result of us refusing to allow them group passports for school trips - i.e a deal was available but we declined - or did they never offer it to us?
  • Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

They provide the staff for their border posts, which are in Kent.

Just as we staff border checks in France and the Yanks staff border checks in Ireland.
  • Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

You go to a lot of trouble posting old photographs for someone who couldn't care less. :)
    A quick Google search only took a few seconds, no trouble at all.

This is so exceedingly common throughout the years that it isn't at all difficult to find images of this happening in the past. Which is why it happening today is nothing new or to fret over.
    carnforth said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Is the EUs refusal to allow us group passports for school trips a result of us refusing to allow them group passports for school trips - i.e a deal was available but we declined - or did they never offer it to us?
    don't care, let's just leave it at Johnson's brexit is a load of shite

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

They provide the staff for their border posts, which are in Kent.

Just as we staff border checks in France and the Yanks staff border checks in Ireland.
    But there is nowhere to put them. The port know this, they needed to invest to try and crush them in and the government said no.

And that is not the problem. The new checks take many many minutes. Which hugely reduces the throughput. Which creates huge queues. Which have nowhere to go.

We need to remove the need for these checks at all to fix the problem.
  • Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

How long does it take to drive the coach off the ferry and go, vs drive it off. Park up. Line up all the kids, do biometrics, stamp their passports, then reload them and set off?

As there is nowhere to park lines of coaches at Dover, that means a big queue. Every single time. Not every time there is a strike or boats break down. You post photos of those saying "is this Brexit" which demonstrates to all of us that you are a daft sod. We know - and YOU know - what is going on. But are saying the sky is green because of some kind of political delusion.

Bollocks. This happened because the border posts weren't staffed. That's no different to a strike.
    carnforth said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Its the biometric checks which become the problem. Even if there was a group passport they would all still need to decamp from the coach to get their retina scanned. Or we do a deal with the EU.

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

Bollocks. This happened because the border posts weren't staffed. That's no different to a strike.
    Erm, bollocks. Aside from the repeatedly posted with evidence fact that the posts did all get staffed (not at the start of this but during) we have the simple fact that checks take time which reduces throughout which creates queues.

I would say this is like Father Ted explaining perspective to Father Dougal. But you are demonstrating the same IQ as the plastic cow.

If lying to yourself by posting guff makes you feel better then OK. mental health is important. But wowsers, you aren't making friends and influencing people.
  • Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

Erm, bollocks. Aside from the repeatedly posted with evidence fact that the posts did all get staffed (not at the start of this but during) we have the simple fact that checks take time which reduces throughout which creates queues.

I would say this is like Father Ted explaining perspective to Father Dougal. But you are demonstrating the same IQ as the plastic cow.

If lying to yourself by posting guff makes you feel better then OK. mental health is important. But wowsers, you aren't making friends and influencing people.
    Bollocks.

Staffing the posts for a bit once queues have already built up is too late. The posts weren't staffed, that's what caused the queues.

The French need to sort their shit out, if they CBA to do so then go elsewhere. No big deal.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Back on topic, I think this says more about the Jezbollah cult than it does Corbyn himself. He is an old man - are they really claiming there is nobody else in their hard left movement who can represent them?

Not one with the name recognition that makes running for London Mayor winnable.
    eek said:

The Jeremy can't win.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited July 2022

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

So it is as I said, a huge achievement and main benefit of Brexit to change the holiday habits of Brits and make those holidays less convenient and more expensive.

Job done.
  • TOPPING said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

So it is as I said, a huge achievement and main benefit of Brexit to change the holiday habits of Brits and make those holidays less convenient and more expensive.

Job done.
    It has nothing to do with Brexit. Border checks existed pre-Brexit.

If the French don't man their border then queues happen, nothing new or Brexit there.

TOPPING said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

Job done.

If the French don't man their border then queues happen, nothing new or Brexit there.
    So the situation we have at the moment you think is exactly the same as in years gone by.

Just by checking the passports of all those children, which you welcome, will make such trips more expensive and less convenient.

A price worth paying.
    A Steve Bray crowdfunding career for BR is possible here. Send him to Dover with "It's Not Brexit" sandwich boards shouting abuse at the french through a union jack megaphone
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

TOPPING said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

Job done.

But the border is manned.

The issue is that prior to 2020 it took 30 seconds to wave a car through. Now it takes x minutes which means you now need 2x the number of cabins in Dover to keep things flowing properly.

And the space doesn't exist in Dover to do that...
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

Job done.

The issue is that prior to 2020 it took 30 seconds to wave a car through. Now it takes x minutes which means you now need 2x the number of cabins in Dover to keep things flowing properly.

No no no no no. If the French hired 412 border officials and put them in the wide flatlands of Dover next to the ferry terminal, there would be no problems.

IT'S NOT BREXIT

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

Ooo the mask slips and out comes "Frogs" again.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,701
    kinabalu said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

Ooo the mask slips and out comes "Frogs" again.
    It always slips, eventually.

Don’t doubt the French are the ones with issues but ‘frogs’ !!

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,269
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

Job done.

If only the government could have foreseen Brexit coming and prepared for it.
    That roar from Charles Leclerc.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

But that isn't the reason for the queues. Sure, argue that that's a downside of leaving the EU (or not doing a deal or whatever), but the scenes at Dover aren't because of stamping passports.
    Can anyone clear up this possibly false memory for me?

About twenty years ago, I remember getting a coach from London to Paris. The coach went on a ferry, and we decamped upstairs, getting back on when it was time for the coach to get off the ferry. When we got to Paris, a guy came on the coach with a laptop, and checked our passports, one by one, as we got off the coach.

Now, surely that can't have been the only passport control - we must have been checked on the way onto the ferry? Or was it some sort of double check?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Ferrari's 2022 clown car not serving them well again.......

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

Job done.

If only the government could have foreseen Brexit coming and prepared for it.
    But we held all the cards. They would not implement border controls because the board of BMW wouldn't let them.
    eek said:

God help me I campaigned for Boris against Ken in the London Mayor elections. I can promise you London has more than enough anti-racists who want to keep anti-Semites out for Jezza to have no chance.

And on that note, if he wants a come back then London Mayor is or would be perfect for Boris. I don't suppose it satisfies his "Big Power" urge though.
  • eek said:

TOPPING said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

Job done.

The border wasn't manned.

Plenty of space exists in Dover. If you need more cabins then build more, but manning the existing ones would be a good start.
  • Jesus calling them frogs, what the fuck
  • God no Drakeford this is moronic
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Afternoon all :)

As an attempt to get back from another afternoon of arguing about Brexit, this thread seems as unsuccessful as all the others.

However, on topic, the key player here is Sadiq Khan and his intentions. That will depend on his evaluation of the political weather and the timing of the next election. IF the next election is in May 2024, he will have to decide whether to seek a Westminster constituency seat in London or continue as London's Mayor.

Assuming he stands down, the dynamic of the 2024 mayoral election could be quite different - if it looks as though Labour is going to do well nationally, it will probably if not certainly be doing well enough in London to provide a penalty kick for the Labour candidate but the ambitious are going to be looking to get into Government so wo would be left to be the Mayoral candidate? I wonder if John McDonnell or Diane Abbott would be more credible candidates from the Labour Left.

There is a group of younger Council leaders who might be seeking advancement (Rokhsana Fiaz in Newham for one) and one of them might see the Mayoralty as a route to a Westminster seat down the road especially if they are suitably loyal to a Westminster Labour Government.

As for the Conservatives, the possibility of defeat at Westminster will concentrate minds but the likelihood of winning the Mayoralty against such a backdrop seems improbable.

Could we see the emergence of other "Independent" candidates such as Rory Stewart who might achieve wider cross-London appeal?

Bailey did much better than expected in 2021 but he's had a few issues since but if the Conservatives see little prospect of winning in 2024 they may as well ask him to run again.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    The reality is, the only way to ensure no problems at the border with France is to be in Schengen.
    tlg86 said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

But that isn't the reason for the queues. Sure, argue that that's a downside of leaving the EU (or not doing a deal or whatever), but the scenes at Dover aren't because of stamping passports.
    Yes they are. The throughput time per vehicle has greatly increased. Passports need to be checked and stamps. Papers inspected. Goods checked. Which creates a bottleneck. That creates backpressure and a queue is formed. We have nowhere to put the queue hence the need for Operation Brock.

We could double the number of French border posts - the port asked for funding and didn't get it. That would reduce the size of the bottleneck but it would still be there. The queues would still be there albeit not as long. Until the autumn when the new biometric measures come in. At which point everyone needs to get out of their vehicles and get scanned. And we know how shitty that technology is every time we fly into a UK airport and get a big queue.
    tlg86 said:

The reality is, the only way to ensure no problems at the border with France is to be in Schengen.

No, invading France is a better solution.

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

Job done.

The border wasn't manned.

Plenty of space exists in Dover. If you need more cabins then build more, but manning the existing ones would be a good start.
    1. people at the border have demonstrated that it was manned
    2. The space doesn't exist for the number of border booths needed
    3. The funding for a modest doubling of border posts was denied.

So even if the French had provided swathes of border guards, the UK government refused to accommodate them.

But whatever. Keepo digging luv. Its funny.

tlg86 said:

All of it? If we reclaim Calais that creates the space to put as many checks as are needed.

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

Yes - the French *eventually* staffed the posts on the French border in Dover to do border checks for entry to France, hours later according to the Port of Dover.

And things are now back running smoothly, according to the French.

I wonder how that happened if the is problem of lack of port capacity?

tlg86 said:

All of it? If we reclaim Calais that creates the space to put as many checks as are needed.
    All of it, plus Monaco.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

tlg86 said:

If we did a deal to take the Pas-de-Calais, it would also abolish Le Pen's seat in the French parliament, so it must have some attraction for Macron.

Tres said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

No its not.

The Frogs have always caused queues, nothing new. Let them deal with it, I couldn't care less…..
    Which is Tory policy in recent years.
    Accounts for where they - and Brexit - stand in the polls.
    MattW said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

Yes - the French *eventually* staffed the posts on the French border in Dover to do border checks for entry to France, hours later according to the Port of Dover.

We know how long the current checks take. And can guess how long the biometric checks will take. Something like Eurotunnel was designed to roll vehicles straight on and straight off. Its a big problem that everyone will need to get out of their vehicles.

I do have to laugh though. To listen to some of you the lack of staff at the French border is unique and unheard of at the UK border.

Ferrari's 2022 clown car not serving them well again.......

Mercurial, isn't it.
  • LOL at all the cry babies reacting with horror at the word Frogs.

Nobody objected to Yanks, funny that. Scouse, Geordie etc gets used regularly too and I'm sure at a PB.co.fr website nobody would be objecting to Rosbif either.

Get over yourselves.

I wonder if we called Africans niggers, if that would be ok

N word is racist.

Scouse, Geordie, Frog, Rosbif, Yank etc isn't.

That's the difference. Don't be racist.
    "Frog" isn't racist. Its just stupid.
  • I wonder if we called Africans niggers, if that would be ok

N word is racist.

Maybe. I don't cry whenever I get called a Scouser though.

It isn't racist. That's about the end of the conversation surely?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,761

tlg86 said:

All of it, plus Monaco.
    I like the last part because surely there can only be 1 British GP so we could finally dump Monaco.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458
    Let's face it, it's really only metropolitan leftie elite sneering remainers who travel to, or through, France.
    Proper English patriots, who happen to be Brexiteers, wouldn't go near Macron's fiefdom, so they fly to the Costas or holiday in Skegness, or go wherever everybody speaks English.
    So basically, those stuck in queues in Dover or Folkestone had it coming to them. Serves them right for trying to give Macron some dosh.
  • MattW said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

Precisely.

Belatedly staffing the checkpoints doesn't miraculously eliminate the queues instantaneously. But they are gone now, funny that.

Had they been staffed properly in the first place, the queues would never have built up like they did.

N word is racist.

scouser isn't a slur, frog is.

LOL at all the cry babies reacting with horror at the word Frogs.

Nobody objected to Yanks, funny that. Scouse, Geordie etc gets used regularly too and I'm sure at a PB.co.fr website nobody would be objecting to Rosbif either.

Get over yourselves.

I think you're overheating due to posting reams of what you know to be nonsense about these Dover delays.

Brexit doesn't deserve you.
  • Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*
    Don't use the n word in any form.

The spam trap puts you automatically in the cooler and it does the same to the people who reply to it.

MattW said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

Precisely.

Belatedly staffing the checkpoints doesn't miraculously eliminate the queues instantaneously. But they are gone now, funny that.

Had they been staffed properly in the first place, the queues would never have built up like they did.
    Q- if what you say is true, why do the Port of Dover say they need they need double the number of border posts?
    edited July 2022
    Tres said:

N word is racist.

Indeed, so what do you think Les Rosbifs is?
    Apols if I crossed a line with the redacted slur - I see the post has been removed.

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Indeed, so what do you think Les Rosbif is?
    Naah. "Les Lagers" or "Les Saveloy and Chips" would be an insult.
    Tres said:

N word is racist.

What about ‘dingle’?
  • MattW said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

Precisely.

Q- if what you say is true, why do the Port of Dover say they need they need double the number of border posts?
    A- People always ask for money for "investment".

Let's wait and see when there's problems when the existing posts are fully staffed, which wasn't the case this time. After the existing posts got staffed, they managed to work through the queue and now it's back to normal.

Tres said:

N word is racist.

also a slur, but one I have never heard a french person use if I'm honest. vmmv
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    carnforth said:

About twenty years ago, I remember getting a coach from London to Paris. The coach went on a ferry, and we decamped upstairs, getting back on when it was time for the coach to get off the ferry. When we got to Paris, a guy came on the coach with a laptop, and checked our passports, one by one, as we got off the coach.

Now, surely that can't have been the only passport control - we must have been checked on the way onto the ferry? Or was it some sort of double check?

It sounds no different from what would happen, if i recall correctly, when I was travelling between european countries by train in my youth. As the train approached a border, passport officers would get on and start roaming the carriages checking passports. The train didn't stop at the border.

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,269
    Deep struggle for TSE.

Will his hatred of Brexit or of the French win out?
  • novanova Posts: 525

carnforth said:

It sounds no different from what would happen, if i recall correctly, when I was travelling between european countries by train in my youth. As the train approached a border, passport officers would get on and start roaming the carriages checking passports. The train didn't stop at the border.

Isn't the big difference that Paris is nowhere near the border?
    edited July 2022

carnforth said:

Indeed. It's just surprising that it wasn't done at Dover.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,699
    Tres said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

also a slur, but one I have never heard a french person use if I'm honest. vmmv
    As the thread header refers to "Gammons" all the subsequent slurs are, at the very least, 'on topic'.
This discussion has been closed.