Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Clash: London calling for Corbyn? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited July 2022

I wonder if it’s okay to call black people the n word now since it’s okay to call the French frogs

I wonder if calling Pakistan people P***s is ok

No. We've already done this.

N word, P word (you probably shouldn't write it, I censored it in my reply) etc are offensive and racist.

Yank, Frog, Pom, Scouser, Geordie etc are not. Don't be ridiculous.

I won't hold my breath for you to react with this same mock outrage next time someone uses the term Scouse as an insult.
    Why is P**i different to Frog? Is it because you happen to use one and not the other?
    Because the P-word is racist and Frog is not.

Same as why the N-word is verboten.

Why are you so Ok using racist words uncensored? I censored it for you again.
    Because I am explaining what the words are.

Just like saying I don't get why the word c**t is not allowed but fuck is. I am not using the words merely using them as an example
    FFS c*** is forbidden too!

Using forbidden words can affect the websites advertising revenues. That's why they're forbidden!

You can use a censored version of the word if you want to ask a question I believe but using them uncensored harms the website so don't do it!
    It's not an advertising revenue issue.

Sites that use really abusive words and racial terms get blacklisted so they don't appear in search results and past some people's browser settings.

I did read about one or two football blogs that had this problem when they covered the John Terry/Anton Ferdinand story.
  • Options

You can use a censored version of the word if you want to ask a question I believe but using them uncensored harms the website so don't do it!

We really are such a bunch of do-gooding nannies in this country

This is OGH's website and he's requested certain words including the n and c words don't get used as it harms his revenue if we do use them.

I think respecting OGH's rules while on his site is showing some basic respect, not nannying.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

We really are such a bunch of do-gooding nannies in this country

Not in the UK; it's the US that is the problem, apparently.
  • Options
    Bart literally caught talking rubbish yet again lol
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

tlg86 said:

Why does the n word have an automatic ban hammer but the p word doesn’t?

The n word will cause problems with advertising revenue, from mainly American based software.

They probably don't object to the p word to the same extent but it still shouldn't be used.

The f word doesn't go ribbit.
    What is the W word??
  • Options

As an aside, my Amazon 'saved for later' basket is of such monstrous proportions I wonder if it's some sort of psychological symptom. I suspect sloth, as it's crammed full of stuff from ages ago.

A giant ground sloth, no doubt.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,747
    kamski said:

Tres said:

I wonder if we called Africans niggers, if that would be ok

N word is racist.

Scouse, Geordie, Frog, Rosbif, Yank etc isn't.

That's the difference. Don't be racist.
    "Frog" isn't racist. Its just stupid.
    Maybe. I don't cry whenever I get called a Scouser though.

It isn't racist. That's about the end of the conversation surely?
    scouser isn't a slur, frog is.
    Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*
    Tries to stop himself joining in... fails.

Surely 'scouser' is akin to brummie, cockney or geordie? Does anyone at all take offence at these?

Frog, to my mind is a level above, akin to kraut, paddy, etc.

The latter group are noted as derogatory, offensive etc. in dictionaries, the former group are not.

It's not hard really.
    I don't think Frog is quite the same as Paddy. Paddy is offensive because it's traditionally used by British people who think they are better than Irish people. Frog tends to be used by British people who are angry because they are worried they are inferior to French people. So less offensive.
    Those of us who won the lottery of life should treat with utmost civility those who came second.
  • Options

I wonder if it’s okay to call black people the n word now since it’s okay to call the French frogs

N word, P word (you probably shouldn't write it, I censored it in my reply) etc are offensive and racist.

I won't hold my breath for you to react with this same mock outrage next time someone uses the term Scouse as an insult.
    Why is P**i different to Frog? Is it because you happen to use one and not the other?

Just like saying I don't get why the word c**t is not allowed but fuck is. I am not using the words merely using them as an example

Using forbidden words can affect the websites advertising revenues. That's why they're forbidden!

Sites that use really abusive words and racial terms get blacklisted so they don't appear in search results and past some people's browser settings.

I did read about one or two football blogs that had this problem when they covered the John Terry/Anton Ferdinand story.
    Oh ok, RCS I believe said it was an advertising issue last time this came up so I was just repeating that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Carnyx, a svelte ground sloth, thank you very much.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Let the admin team here deal with it. They know, they don’t guess.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

The n word will cause problems with advertising revenue, from mainly American based software.

They probably don't object to the p word to the same extent but it still shouldn't be used.

What is the W word??
    Here's a clue

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
    ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
    ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
    ⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
    ⬜🟩🟨🟩🟩
    🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

What is the W word??
    Rhymes with hog.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

What is the W word??
    Whig?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

What is the W word??
    Rhymes with hog.
    Ahh. Ok thanks.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Yes I'm being told off for simply asking what I believed to be a reasonable question by somebody who has no powers here
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited July 2022

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Yes I'm being told off for simply asking what I believed to be a reasonable question by somebody who has no powers here
    I was trying to be helpful.

You've been asked before not to use the c word uncensored, I was trying to answer your question as to why.

If you don't want people answering questions, why ask the question? 🤷‍♂️

But I'll leave it there. Only reason I answered the Q was you asked it and I was trying to help.

Anyway considering you and others were lambasting me for using an entirely natural and normal word like Frog, it's a bit rich for you to complain when I answered your question. Frog is a more natural and acceptable word to use than the C word is it not?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

Surely 'scouser' is akin to brummie, cockney or geordie? Does anyone at all take offence at these?

The latter group are noted as derogatory, offensive etc. in dictionaries, the former group are not.

It's not hard really.
    I don't think Frog is quite the same as Paddy. Paddy is offensive because it's traditionally used by British people who think they are better than Irish people. Frog tends to be used by British people who are angry because they are worried they are inferior to French people. So less offensive.
    When I was in Spain I met a French guy and his son who lived out there. We got talking about rugby as he was a big fan. He told me his favourite game of the year was Le Crunch - the frogs against the rosbifs and then asked me if I wanted this frog to buy me a drink. I said ribbit 🐸 they prefer it when you make an effort to speak the language
  • Options

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Yeah, it is crazy and my someone who started this whole nonsense off in the first place.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Yeah, it is crazy and my someone who started this whole nonsense off in the first place.
    Thanks Taz, good people need to look out for each other here. Hope you are keeping well
  • Options

kamski said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.
    When I was in Spain I met a French guy and his son who lived out there. We got talking about rugby as he was a big fan. He told me his favourite game of the year was Le Crunch - the frogs against the rosbifs and then asked me if I wanted this frog to buy me a drink. I said ribbit 🐸 they prefer it when you make an effort to speak the language
    You should hear me order a Royale in le MacDonalds. I sound like fucking Depardieu.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Thanks Taz, good people need to look out for each other here. Hope you are keeping well
    All good thanks. Hope you are too.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    I grew up as a child calling the local newsagent 'the p**i shop'. But it had no meaning for me any more than being the name so you knew to differentiate it from the slightly further away 'the corner shop'.

Then got a bit older and realised 'ohhhhhh - I get it now. Urm...'. After a period of vague guilt and confusion saw a documentary about the use of words like that with a Pakistani shop owner saying he was a-ok with it. To him it was just a description of 'the shop run by the pakistani guy'.

Then read an article in (I suspect) The Guardian explaining in it's special way that the Pakistani guy was wrong. Which led to even more vague guilt and confusion.

It's worse than having sex.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

All good thanks. Hope you are too.
    Off on holiday soon so looking forward to that. What have you been up to
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited July 2022

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

You've been asked before not to use the c word uncensored, I was trying to answer your question as to why.

But I'll leave it there. Only reason I answered the Q was you asked it and I was trying to help.

Anyway considering you and others were lambasting me for using an entirely natural and normal word like Frog, it's a bit rich for you to complain when I answered your question. Frog is a more natural and acceptable word to use than the C word is it not?
    Arsenal fans at white hart lane a few years ago: “we can’t use the y word, we’ll just call them c****.”

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kamski said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.
    You should hear me order a Royale in le MacDonalds. I sound like fucking Depardieu.
    These days when I try and speak French I sound like Officer Crabtree from ‘Allo ‘Allo.

He was modelled on Ted Heath speaking French.
  • Options
    OK Jeez here's the official ranking:

Affectionate or mostly affectionate (note: without pre- or suffix): Scouse, Pom, Manc, Jock, Brit

Mildly insulting, put down: Frog, Sassenach, Tyke, Gammon.

Beyond the pale words: N, P, W (thanks Bart).

So on the basis that gammon was used in the header, frog is legitimate in a comment. Neither are the same as eg Scouse.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Arsenal fans at white hart lane a few years ago: “we can’t use the y word, we’ll just call them c****.”

Surely more Arsenal fans are jews than Tottenham fans?
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,227
    edited July 2022

IshmaelZ said:

kamski said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.
    These days when I try and speak French I sound like Officer Crabtree from ‘Allo ‘Allo.

When I speak French I remember Alan Partridge saying "all French people do is sit around in cafes all day chomping on onions going haw-he-haw-he-haw" and haw-he-haw my French accent a bit. This seems to impress the Frenchies until they realise how limited my vocab is
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032

Don't use the n word in any form.

The spam trap puts you automatically in the cooler and it does the same to the people who reply to it.

I’m re-reading an Arthur Hailey book (he’s always great for people who haven’t discovered him yet)

Written in the late 50s it uses the word “Negro” in a purely descriptive fashion. But it really jumps out as being very old fashioned and out of place.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Affectionate or mostly affectionate (note: without pre- or suffix): Scouse, Pom, Manc, Jock, Brit

So on the basis that gammon was used in the header, frog is legitimate in a comment. Neither are the same as eg Scouse.

I'd put Pom, Jock and Scouse in the same category as Frog etc but can live with that list. 🤷‍♂️

Either way it's perfectly acceptable and clearly not like N, P or W and the Snowflakes* objecting should stop moaning and would almost all use the term Gammon etc

* Snowflake surely itself being the same category as Frog, Gammon etc
  • Options
    Can we make Rish! the ‘R’ word?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

IshmaelZ said:

kamski said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.

Good moaning!

I brung you a massage:

The Scrumming Ogles claims he can't spook the French linguage praperly!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Hmm, gammon is political in essence. One chooses to be a gammon car driver with backless gloves and suede sheepskin jacket, for instance.

And *Sasunnaich* is context-dependent: in the Gàidhealtachd it would be simply descriptive, as someone from outside the linguistic boundary, a Lowlander (both Scots and English).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Peter Gammons.

https://www.ukip.org/gammonsforlondon_v0
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Arsenal fans at white hart lane a few years
    ago: “we can’t use the y word, we’ll just call them c****.”

Surely more Arsenal fans are jews than Tottenham fans?
    Why, because there are way more Arsenal fans? :lol:

It’s silly really because there are a lot of Jewish Arsenal fans. The difference is that Tottenham fans seem to make a big deal of their Jewish connections. And then they use the y word as a defence mechanism and so the whole thing is self perpetuating.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Peter Gammons.

Hmm.

"In negotiations, I have been called in by world leaders to resolve national crises and served as an adviser to several Prime Ministers, foreign Presidents and World Leaders."
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.
    I’d say “kraut” or “frog” are derogatory but not offensive. “Paddy” is a level above, like “polack” or “newfy” … but still a level below words used for Japanese, Italians or Pakistanis.

• Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Well done, we've gone from having tailbacks every time the French go on strike to having tailbacks every time English schools go on holiday.
    We've gone from having tailbacks every time the French screw things around, to having tailbacks every time the French screw things around.

The French aren't manning their border posts. What did you expect to happen when the French don't man their border posts? Has f**k all to do with Brexit.

If the French don't want tourists, the public should react accordingly.
    Brexit means every child in every coach for every school trip has to have their passport stamped.
    So what?

Have enough staff to do the stamps then.
    How long does it take to drive the coach off the ferry and go, vs drive it off. Park up. Line up all the kids, do biometrics, stamp their passports, then reload them and set off?

As there is nowhere to park lines of coaches at Dover, that means a big queue. Every single time. Not every time there is a strike or boats break down. You post photos of those saying "is this Brexit" which demonstrates to all of us that you are a daft sod. We know - and YOU know - what is going on. But are saying the sky is green because of some kind of political delusion.

Please stop. You have more intelligence than this.
    Bollocks. This happened because the border posts weren't staffed. That's no different to a strike.
    Erm, bollocks. Aside from the repeatedly posted with evidence fact that the posts did all get staffed (not at the start of this but during) we have the simple fact that checks take time which reduces throughout which creates queues.

I would say this is like Father Ted explaining perspective to Father Dougal. But you are demonstrating the same IQ as the plastic cow.

If lying to yourself by posting guff makes you feel better then OK. mental health is important. But wowsers, you aren't making friends and influencing people.
    Yes - the French *eventually* staffed the posts on the French border in Dover to do border checks for entry to France, hours later according to the Port of Dover.

And things are now back running smoothly, according to the French.

I wonder how that happened if the is problem of lack of port capacity?
    We know how long the current checks take. And can guess how long the biometric checks will take. Something like Eurotunnel was designed to roll vehicles straight on and straight off. Its a big problem that everyone will need to get out of their vehicles.

I do have to laugh though. To listen to some of you the lack of staff at the French border is unique and unheard of at the UK border.
    I love the rapid pivot to a different question and a supplementary, the French authorities having provided the answer to this one that the issue was a diversion of their staff. :smile:

My cat used to try and do that when it was embarrassed after failing to catch a sparrow. It would either wash itself or stare fixedly in the other direction.

Somehow I don't think the UK would be using border contr`ol staff to fix a 'technical ' problem in the channel tunnel.

According to my news sources, French border facilities at Dover are currently being expanded by 50%, which should do a lot to deal with the alleged extra one and a half minutes needed for the biometric check.

No idea how it will work on the Channel Tunnel, but the EU give France the autonomy to decide how to implement, so they have the option of being intelligence-led for once.
    What pivot? There are issues piled on top of issues
    1. The weekend at the start of the English school holidays are always the big week for passenger traffic
    2. Doubly so thanks to Covid
    3. First big weekend testing the new system of having stamp passports which is slow
    4. Dover asked for £33m to double the number of posts so it could cope. Didn't get funded.
    5. French managed to not staff every single booth at the start of the rush
    6. Our decrepit customs system also sat down immediately before so there was a big HGV backlog
    Its no wonder it didn't cope. Will it be as acute as that again? Only at big getaway weekends. But we know the new checks are slow and the newer ones with biometrics will be worse.

No single issue is the blame. All of them combined is the blame. Isn't that obvious to anyone who isn't a zealot on either side of this row?
    £33m seems an awful lot for a few more border posts
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Peter Gammons.

And we know you'd never engage in a double entendre on purpose, would you?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Peter Gammons.

I would never do that, who do you think I am? Penny Mordaunt?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Picture the stampede of lenders to SINDY:

The latest brilliant wheeze to emerge from @RideoutTim’s Scottish Currency Group - advised by “at least half a dozen senior bankers” - is for compound interest to be prohibited in an independent Scotland.

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1359130058225573891

Dafuq?

Wow.

That's some serious economic illiteracy there.
  • Options
    How funny would it be if Boris discovered that he had completed the training and thus inadvertently signed up for the Ukrainian army
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Oh ok, RCS I believe said it was an advertising issue last time this came up so I was just repeating that.
    I don't believe I said that. But I might have been drunk.

Anything's possible.
  • Options
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,747
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Hmm, gammon is political in essence. One chooses to be a gammon car driver with backless gloves and suede sheepskin jacket, for instance.

And *Sasunnaich* is context-dependent: in the Gàidhealtachd it would be simply descriptive, as someone from outside the linguistic boundary, a Lowlander (both Scots and English).
    The Welsh equivalent is Saeson (Saxon) and is invariably a term of endearment.
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    Nice Beaver
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217

Tres said:

it all makes sense when you realise barty grew up in australia.

Born on Merseyside and grew up down under so I've heard Pom and Scouse all my life and never once moaned about either. Frog is in the same league as those, it isn't racist like N, P or W words.

For those pretending to be offended at the term Frog, but think Scouse etc is OK, can I ask where the line is drawn? Is cheese eating surrender monkeys OK or is that out too?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDrZpuGp6aA

Love Scot Squad
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    Ahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAH

“Chess robot grabs and breaks finger of seven-year-old opponent”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/24/chess-robot-grabs-and-breaks-finger-of-seven-year-old-opponent-moscow

Hahahahah haaa ha

Oh
  • Options
    Pensfold said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Well done, we've gone from having tailbacks every time the French go on strike to having tailbacks every time English schools go on holiday.
    We've gone from having tailbacks every time the French screw things around, to having tailbacks every time the French screw things around.

The French aren't manning their border posts. What did you expect to happen when the French don't man their border posts? Has f**k all to do with Brexit.

Brexit means every child in every coach for every school trip has to have their passport stamped.
    So what?

How long does it take to drive the coach off the ferry and go, vs drive it off. Park up. Line up all the kids, do biometrics, stamp their passports, then reload them and set off?

As there is nowhere to park lines of coaches at Dover, that means a big queue. Every single time. Not every time there is a strike or boats break down. You post photos of those saying "is this Brexit" which demonstrates to all of us that you are a daft sod. We know - and YOU know - what is going on. But are saying the sky is green because of some kind of political delusion.

I know that you know the UK has offered this reciprocal deal on several occasions.

The EU has refused. I don’t know why, but they are making their citizens a little bit worse for some political reason

The EU thinks they are punishing us by stopping us going to France. It's over twenty years since I went. Prefer Greek islands and the Lake District.
    Nah - they think it’s a highly visible political issue for the UK government so think they can get something in return for stopping it
  • Options

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

I'm going up to the Lowlands next month, is Lowland whiskey as good as the rest? Anyone know?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    So cringe
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAH

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/24/chess-robot-grabs-and-breaks-finger-of-seven-year-old-opponent-moscow

Hahahahah haaa ha

Oh

This is of course bad
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    The following words are no longer to be used

https://youtu.be/CfU6bmKsoko?t=46
  • Options

So cringe
    She makes Starmer look normal, quite amazing
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Peter Gammons.

I hate that sort of thing.

To raise the tone of this afternoon's conversation I'd like to share with the site a photo, quite genuinely, of my sister's beaver.

Is that one of the Devon Ishmaels? (i.e. being released down Otter way.)
  • Options

Leon said:

Ahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAH

Hahahahah haaa ha

Oh

This is of course bad

This would be a brilliant beginning for a AI-takes-over dystopian movie

😮
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Peter Gammons.

To raise the tone of this afternoon's conversation I'd like to share with the site a photo, quite genuinely, of my sister's beaver.

Your sister has a huge, slightly grotesque beaver
  • Options

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

I'm going up to the Lowlands next month, is Lowland whiskey as good as the rest? Anyone know?
    Not spelt like that it isn't.

Could be fine, who knows? You can make whisky anywhere and out of anything (Scotch whisky can be and is made out of imported English barley). Try a tasting.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAH

Hahahahah haaa ha

Oh

One in the eye for the "not sentient" crowd.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Gammon is political indeed but it is like chav. Assigning a label to people because they in some way (appearance, accent, etc) conform to a derogatory stereotype.

If you saw an oldish overweight white bloke with tatts and a red face whether through blood pressure or the sun you might call him a gammon.

Regardless of his political views.
  • Options

As an aside, my Amazon 'saved for later' basket is of such monstrous proportions I wonder if it's some sort of psychological symptom. I suspect sloth, as it's crammed full of stuff from ages ago.

It’s postmodern hoarding behaviour. You can collect junk without actually needing to buy it and store it.
    My local library was doing a sale yesterday. A yard of good hardbacks cost me a fiver

• Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Peter Gammons.

Your sister has a huge, slightly grotesque beaver
    Actually it is just one of her many beavers, but I thought that would be TMI.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Easily answered. There is no "whiskey" Irish style, if that is what you want, which is fair enough. There is however blended grain and malt whisky made in the Lowlands.

Lowland single malts: there are some distilleries. Glenkinchie despite the name is in the East Lothian high farming grainbelt near Edinburgh. Open to the public, tour and all that.
  • Options
    <

Could be fine, who knows? You can make whisky anywhere and out of anything (Scotch whisky can be and is made out of imported English barley). Try a tasting.

Yes apologies I shouldn't have included the final vowel, incidentally if Jock is mildly affectionate then what about the Cockney colloquialism 'Sweaty?' Always seems offensive to me but by those rules must be ok?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432

Pensfold said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

I know that you know the UK has offered this reciprocal deal on several occasions.

The EU has refused. I don’t know why, but they are making their citizens a little bit worse for some political reason

The EU thinks they are punishing us by stopping us going to France. It's over twenty years since I went. Prefer Greek islands and the Lake District.
    Nah - they think it’s a highly visible political issue for the UK government so think they can get something in return for stopping it
    'ow you zay ...

we 'ave all ze cards, ne c'est pas?

(Real answer is that most Brits wanting to take a car full of stuff on holiday will drive, and most will drive via Dover-Calais. The queues will be worse and more frequent than before, but mostly not so bad as to make it worth anyone's while to do everything about it. And life will go on, just a bit worse than before.)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Just to be helpful here and sorry to contradict CHB, but Frog is nothing like as offensive as any of the other words mentioned. Generally the Frogs don't mind being called French, or Frogs for that matter. They refer to us as Rosbifs as reference to this is the only food we ever eat (obviously). I believe in Paris there is a pub called the Frog and Rosbif which was originally owned by a British and French couple. The Frogs are unoffended. So are the Rosbifs.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think it’s grossly offensive to the Irish to use the term “beyond the pale” like that - suggesting they are uncouth barbarians or something

😂

• Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Peter Gammons.

Is that one of the Devon Ishmaels? (i.e. being released down Otter way.)
    Yes and no, my sister has a longstanding rewilding op going on Somewhere In Scotland (a bit unofficial, so specificity would be unwise). That's a beaver I picked up in Devon and delivered to Scotland. I think its life began in Berlin zoo - they get around.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943

life will go on, just a bit worse than before.)

The very essence of Brexit
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Gammon is political indeed but it is like chav. Assigning a label to people because they in some way (appearance, accent, etc) conform to a derogatory stereotype.

If you saw an oldish overweight white bloke with tatts and a red face whether through blood pressure or the sun you might call him a gammon.

I'd thought it was the other way round - the views being so often expressed by that gestalt on TV in the runup to you know what in 2016. But fair enough.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

Ahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAH

Hahahahah haaa ha

Oh

"Having fully realised and accepted its inability to kill John Connor, Skynet settled for malicious acts of harm on children who played chess."
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995
    This is a rather silly conversation, but one that amuses/annoys/intrigues me is something I have heard a couple of American podcasters say: "Britisher'.

Not British. Not Brit. But Britisher. "The Britishers finished their attack..."
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,662
    Not sure how “Hansard” counts as “a leak”

NEW: Some MPs who supported Penny Mordaunt have been discussing how they can get Penny to face off against Rishi and knock Liz out the contest (bear with me)..

A small number suspect Liz Truss was involved in the leak against Penny Mordaunt on gender self ID. They are are "watching carefully to see the result of the leak inquiry" being conducted by Simon Case. Truss & team obviously deny any involvement..

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1551238496374951936
  • Options

<

Yes apologies I shouldn't have included the final vowel, incidentally if Jock is mildly affectionate then what about the Cockney colloquialism 'Sweaty?' Always seems offensive to me but by those rules must be ok?
    You seem to struggle with the quoting system? If you click quote and just leave everything alone and type after the final rt angle bracket in the quoted text, all should be fine

Never heard Sweaty
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943

This is a rather silly conversation, but one that amuses/annoys/intrigues me is something I have heard a couple of American podcasters say: "Britisher'.

Bastardisation of Englander I think

Familiar perhaps from cliched war films in which Germans could be heard saying it
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Good point i think you have to look at the actual words. Sweaty Sock is not a nice concept so as you say could easily be offensive. And is a dialect which places the user above others so also offensive. Moreso than Jock.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    Scott_xP said:

Bastardisation of Englander I think

Familiar perhaps from cliched war films in which Germans could be heard saying it
    I've heard it used by a fair percentage of people in India.
  • Options

Pensfold said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

'ow you zay ...

we 'ave all ze cards, ne c'est pas?

(Real answer is that most Brits wanting to take a car full of stuff on holiday will drive, and most will drive via Dover-Calais. The queues will be worse and more frequent than before, but mostly not so bad as to make it worth anyone's while to do everything about it. And life will go on, just a bit worse than before.)
    Yes. A deal would be sensible and the UK has offered it. But they are refusing to give into blackmail so there will be no deal until the EU understands reciprocity
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

<
    You seem to struggle with the quoting system? If you click quote and just leave everything alone and type after the final rt angle bracket in the quoted text, all should be fine

Never heard Sweaty

Sweaty sock = jock, me old china.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Just to be helpful here and sorry to contradict CHB, but Frog is nothing like as offensive as any of the other words mentioned. Generally the Frogs don't mind being called French, or Frogs for that matter. They refer to us as Rosbifs as reference to this is the only food we ever eat (obviously). I believe in Paris there is a pub called the Frog and Rosbif which was originally owned by a British and French couple. The Frogs are unoffended. So are the Rosbifs.
    Agreed. Although not always. Joining the frogs and rosbifs in mutual piss taking is fine. Moaning about lazy fucking frogs at the border maybe not. But I suppose swapping frogs for French wouldn’t make it much better
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

You wouldn't. You'd first check by asking his views on something. Only if they were gammony would you proceed to award the epithet.
  • Options
    Back to politics

The former Labour leadership contender Rebecca Long-Bailey has called for Labour to drop its cautious approach to the economy and fight the next election on a radical manifesto including state ownership and a living standards contract between government and public.

In her first significant economic policy intervention since the 2020 leadership contest won by Sir Keir Starmer, Long-Bailey said Labour would need transformative policies if it was to win the next election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/24/rebecca-long-bailey-calls-for-labour-to-drop-cautious-approach-to-economy

Mad obvs but who knows? - the financial crisis this winter with bonkers Liz at the helm is going to be soooo much worse than people realise, Labour could have their best chance since 1946 to come in with a really extensive New Deal set of proposals. Shame, or good thing, Sir Interesting is at the helm and not jezza or RLB.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Things I have learned this week:

Do not go to or through France for your holidays.
    The Tories really can find a worse leader than Boris, possibly even 2 of them.
    It is getting warmer.

I am sure that there are more, but I have forgotten them again already.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

You wouldn't. You'd first check by asking his views on something. Only if they were gammony would you proceed to award the epithet.
    Quite. You and I would count as mutton (not lamb), or perhaps tofu or Quorn.
  • Options
    Do Pakistanis have a word for Brits or English or white people that should be considered as offensive as the P word?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is getting warmer.

5 days after record breaking temperatures in Britain a international cricket match in England was abandoned due to rain.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is getting warmer.

Charles Leclerc has anger management issues
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

<

Never heard Sweaty

Sweaty sock = jock, me old china.
    You're not Pete Tong about that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is getting warmer.

Did you see this? No need to go across La Manche to get fresh white truffles in the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jul/24/puzzle-of-prized-white-truffles-finally-yields-science-fungi
  • Options

Do Pakistanis have a word for Brits or English or white people that should be considered as offensive as the P word?

Kafir.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Who made you admin ?

‘I believe’ isn’t fact.

Agreed. Although not always. Joining the frogs and rosbifs in mutual piss taking is fine. Moaning about lazy fucking frogs at the border maybe not. But I suppose swapping frogs for French wouldn’t make it much better
    Spot on. As ever context is everything. Additionally it is interesting that plenty of black people use the n-word ironically, but that doesn't make it OK for non-black people to do so.

That said, I suspect there are plenty of Frogs having a good old laugh at the "Rosbifs and their Bregzite" right now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

DavidL said:

It is getting warmer.

5 days after record breaking temperatures in Britain a international cricket match in England was abandoned due to rain.
    That was really not news. It was bordering on inevitability.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is getting warmer.

Walking to France is no bother. Other than the Pyrenees.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Not sure how “Hansard” counts as “a leak”

NEW: Some MPs who supported Penny Mordaunt have been discussing how they can get Penny to face off against Rishi and knock Liz out the contest (bear with me)..

A small number suspect Liz Truss was involved in the leak against Penny Mordaunt on gender self ID. They are are "watching carefully to see the result of the leak inquiry" being conducted by Simon Case. Truss & team obviously deny any involvement..

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1551238496374951936

Christ between that and the Boris petition.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It is getting warmer.

You should pay attention to our Anointed Leaders rather than dissing them

The English summer is three fine days and a thunderstorm - George II
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Kafir.
    Can I safely call myself that?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is getting warmer.

Caveat to the first is...if you want to travel at the busiest time now all passports have to be stamped ("Thanks David et al" say all the travellers who didn't vote for the pile of shit known as Brexit)

Caveat to the second...oh actually no there isn't. It is just plain wrong. Even Lightweight Lizzy can't be worse than the fat liar.
This discussion has been closed.