Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Clash: London calling for Corbyn? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    HYUFD said:

Off topic, but should really be on topic, this is a classic of the genre of how the BBC reports and thus misreports politics: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62238068

How many Conservative Party members are on 'social media' or care who's winning the war on it?

The Times' support for Sunak and the Mail's and Express' support for Truss and the Telegraph's sympathies too with the latter are likely to be more significant for Tory members given more likely read a daily paper than actively use social media, especially the oldest ones
    The demographics on FB make quite surprising reading in terms of the number of people over 55. I would imagine there is quite a large number of Conservative members that have FB accounts and LinkedIn, and even a few on Instagram. I suspect close to none on TikTok, Snapchat and Discord.
  • Options
    From the other side

There's a metre of tomato plant between my pictures

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,197

From the other side

What variety? My craigella just coming in, gardeners delight starting too, and one other that I can’t remember the name of.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

IshmaelZ said:

Back to politics

The former Labour leadership contender Rebecca Long-Bailey has called for Labour to drop its cautious approach to the economy and fight the next election on a radical manifesto including state ownership and a living standards contract between government and public.

In her first significant economic policy intervention since the 2020 leadership contest won by Sir Keir Starmer, Long-Bailey said Labour would need transformative policies if it was to win the next election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/24/rebecca-long-bailey-calls-for-labour-to-drop-cautious-approach-to-economy

Mad obvs but who knows? - the financial crisis this winter with bonkers Liz at the helm is going to be soooo much worse than people realise, Labour could have their best chance since 1946 to come in with a really extensive New Deal set of proposals. Shame, or good thing, Sir Interesting is at the helm and not jezza or RLB.

It is not actually that mad an idea. A "Reduce the Cost of Living" manifesto might go down very well with the electorate
    Not if Conservative High Command can throw in some culture wars and a taxi drivers from the Indian Subcontinent narrative.

Nonetheless Rebecca Long- Bailey is just best ignored along with her mentor and thread header star billing anyway.
    "the financial crisis this winter with bonkers Liz at the helm is going to be soooo much worse than people realise"

I certainly agree with this.

• Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited July 2022

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

East Kent resident here who grew up in Canterbury, now lives a couple of miles from J10 M20. Brexit has turned these problems from something that happened one or twice a year (strikes in France, problems at sea, fires in the tunnel). to once or twice a month. I’m looking forward to the upsides of Brexit because it’s caused nothing but shite down here, Even the “French didn’t put up enough officers” doesn’t cut it - they have to do twice the checks. The traffic flow four officers could put through now needs eight. The whole thing is a British caused issue, no one else.

BTW the 1988 photo - the M20 hadn’t even been completed in 1988. Junction 8 for Maidstone to junction 9 for Ashford opened in 1991 and at the same time the extension to Dover, as part of the A20, was also constructed and opened in 1993 and a new junction, 11A was also built for the Channel Tunnel, which also wasn’t open in 1988. I don’t know where your photo is from, the A2 maybe, but it isn’t comparable with the current situation at all.
    If it takes eight staff to do the checks then hire 8 staff. Hire nine if need be.

Being in a political union for the sake of four border staff is beyond preposterous on the face of it.

There may be good reasons for Remain, or Leave, or Rejoin but that you need eight staff instead of four at the international border isn't one of them.
    Straw man. Wasn’t the point of my post and you know it, it was to point out that your photos were disingenuous bollocks designed to deliberately mislead from the fact that a political movement you espouse has caused huge problems. The need for the increased border staff is “because Brexit”. It’s our bed, you made it, now we’re lying in it. Thanks. Thanks a lot.
    They're not disingenuous bollocks, the point is that the border has had backlogs for decades whenever the French are short staffed at the border. Bugger all to do with Brexit.

If it takes 4 staff and they only have 2, or it takes 8 staff and they only have 4, is neither here nor there. Staffing levels should be at whatever is needed, if they're not then that has sod all to do with Brexit.

It's been six years since the vote. If 4 more staff were required and they haven't bothered to hire 4 people in six years that's not due to my or your vote.
    You moron, Brexit is the reason we need them in the first place!
    Bollocks the reason we need them in the first place is we aren't in Schengen!

We always needed border staff as we aren't in Schengen. Whether you need slightly more or not is neither here nor there, you hire to meet the demand. If there's extra demand then hire more, that's not a reason to be in a political union.
    We only needed a token border post as we waived our passports. Now details are taken because of the 90 day rule, so it is Brexit.
    "Details" aren't taken. The passport is scanned and checked (it was always scanned in the past) and now it is stamped as well and the in/out date checked as well.

That really is it.
    No, it wasn't *always* scanned at all. That is completely incorrect. I have been through the tunnel on numerous occasions prior to Brexit when it has been busy and I have just been waved through. Having to stamp and inspect all passports was not necessary going from UK to France prior to Brexit. Anyone with any knowledge of process will realise this makes a massive difference. This is the route of the problem. Brexit apologists need to stop arguing this, they are completely wrong. Fuck business, fuck travellers; this is the reality of Brexit, but hey, look at all the benefits eh?
    Was it news to you that checks would need to be done? Checks are done at international borders all over the world.

If checks are needed, hire however many staff are required to do the checks.

That's not a reason to be in a political union.
    If the two countries involved are in a Single Market and a Customs Union, then there's very little point in stopping people moving either way to carry out checks.
    The version of Brexit chosen by Boris's government means we are in neither.
    Indeed but that decision was made years ago. So there ought to be enough staff on hand to cope with that by now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,303

From the other side

Presumably you planted them when, you know, that was a thing?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,195
    I have crumbled like a Frenchman on the front line, and I am having a glass of wine

I wanted to do five days sober, I did four. Still: four

(You have to know how much I drink, and how relentlessly, to appreciate the endeavour)
  • Options

From the other side

What variety? My craigella just coming in, gardeners delight starting too, and one other that I can’t remember the name of.
    That one is a Tumbling Tom Yellow that I got for £2.49 from Waitrose
  • Options
    DavidL said:

From the other side

Presumably you planted them when, you know, that was a thing?
    I love to eat the sunshine
  • Options
    Leon said:

I have crumbled like a Frenchman on the front line, and I am having a glass of wine

(You have to know how much I drink, and how relentlessly, to appreciate the endeavour)

I think I can take a wild guess that four days is utterly heroic. Well done!!

• Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 782
    Leon said:

This is presumably meant to be reassuring

It actually sounds like Biden is on his deathbed

"President Joe Biden is improving from his Covid infection, with encouraging signs that he is overcoming the virus, his official doctor said"

https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1551267185393340417?s=20&t=pYnlwA7OR_qaPNRquC4InQ

If Biden dies while Trump lived, I will take it as proof that, if there is a God, God is not good.

That statement does seem oddly worded, but not sure if you can read much into it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Does anyone know the SNP policy on:

Whether they support FoM between an EU Scotland and a non EU England

and

How the border will work with relation to people and goods?
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Leon said:

"President Joe Biden is improving from his Covid infection, with encouraging signs that he is overcoming the virus, his official doctor said"

https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1551267185393340417?s=20&t=pYnlwA7OR_qaPNRquC4InQ

If Biden dies while Trump lived, I will take it as proof that, if there is a God, God is not good.

That statement does seem oddly worded, but not sure if you can read much into it.
    Was more proof really needed? If there is a God, then God is a bit of a freak.

Though President Kamala would be amusing.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,614

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Do Pakistanis have a word for Brits or English or white people that should be considered as offensive as the P word?

Kafir.
    Can I safely call myself that?
    I wouldn't personally. It means unbeliever (in Islam) and there's no knowing whether saying so implicitly insults The Prophet PBUH.
    So it doesn't actually cover white, English or British.

And acknowledging one is a kafir might insult non-kafirs?

Jesus fucking Christ I'm glad I was born into a religion where I can say this sentence
    I think you’ve been able to say that sentence for… maybe less than 4% of the history of Christianity?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Do Pakistanis have a word for Brits or English or white people that should be considered as offensive as the P word?

Kafir.
    I wouldn't personally. It means unbeliever (in Islam) and there's no knowing whether saying so implicitly insults The Prophet PBUH.

Jesus fucking Christ I'm glad I was born into a religion where I can say this sentence
    I think you’ve been able to say that sentence for… maybe less than 4% of the history of Christianity?
    Quite conveniently the part that I've been alive for
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Unpopular said:

Leon said:

Surely a question of whether God is more for Roman Catholics or Protestant evangelicals? 52% of Roman Catholics voted for Biden in 2020, 76% of white evangelicals voted for Trump. 53% of American voters fall into one of those 2 branches of Christianity
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022
    Elon Musk’s Friendship With Sergey Brin Ruptured by Alleged Affair

Elon Musk engaged in a brief affair last fall with the wife of Sergey Brin, prompting the Google co-founder to file for divorce earlier this year and ending the tech billionaires’ long friendship

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-affair-sergey-brin-wife-divorce-11658674840?mod=hp_lead_pos7

Elon makes Boris look like a faithful husband.
  • Options

Unpopular said:

Leon said:

True! I should have said further proof.

President Kamala is an interesting thought. It's looking already likely that there will be a Democratic primary in 2024 and hopefuls will be gearing up to run. I wonder if a President Kamala would stop that or would the Dems tear themselves apart?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Kafir.

Quite conveniently the part that I've been alive for
    And thank fuck that I can be an atheist, or could be an apostate, without it leading to my persecution
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Unpopular said:

Leon said:

President Kamala is an interesting thought. It's looking already likely that there will be a Democratic primary in 2024 and hopefuls will be gearing up to run. I wonder if a President Kamala would stop that or would the Dems tear themselves apart?
    Buttigieg would likely still run against her probably AOC too, they might do even if Biden runs for re election
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Off topic, but should really be on topic, this is a classic of the genre of how the BBC reports and thus misreports politics: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62238068

How many Conservative Party members are on 'social media' or care who's winning the war on it?

I agree it's probably not that many.

But.

If so, then why are the candidates (especially Sunak; I haven't noticed much from Truss*) bothering?

And, given that they are trying, can you really blame the BBC for reporting on it?

Anyway, I have a vote and I've been following Sunak on both LI and FB** since he became Chancellor. So, there's that.

**this may explain *this
  • Options

Elon Musk engaged in a brief affair last fall with the wife of Sergey Brin, prompting the Google co-founder to file for divorce earlier this year and ending the tech billionaires’ long friendship

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-affair-sergey-brin-wife-divorce-11658674840?mod=hp_lead_pos7

At least Boris is a shagger for normal, understandable reasons. Musk just seems weird about it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435

Monogamy is too cruel a rule.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,441

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Not wishing to pour petrol onto a perfectly good fire but it's been instructive to see how the delays at Dover and Folkestone have been reported and analysed.

There are two distinct and very different interpretations - one says the French were ill-prepared, didn't have enough staff and caused the delays. The other says the French may have been under-prepared but the additional processes required now we are no longer part of the EU and the SM have contributed to the delays.

One is, if you like, the Trussite approach and the other isn't.

The truth is of course one or other may be right, both may be right or neither is right.

One could argue after two quieter years we are seeing a return to pre-Covid volumes of British people going off on their holidays and wanting to access the Eurotunnel and the Kent ports. This was foreseeable and could and should have been anticipated and mitigated by both sides through either negotiation or help. It may well be the French are struggling to recruit border staff - we are as well - it may be additional checks imposed as part of the arrangements to leave the EU have slowed the whole process down.

It helps a British nationalist like Truss to strut round blaming "Johnny Foreigner" but it's equally absurd to assume "it's all down to Brexit". For those poor families stuck for hours in their cars, it's little consolation one way or the other.

The unpalatable truth is this was all foreseeable, preventable and the level of risk could have been simply mitigated but instead national politics and pride have created an absurd situation and instead of two Governments co-operating and working together to mitigate the issue, we've had posturing which plays well to the domestic audience but doesn't actually solve the problem,

Whoever is responsible and whether it is British cock-up or French conspiracy the plain truth is this. Without Brexit this fiasco was LESS likely to have played out.
    The other question is- how short should the delays be?

A quick Google implies that waits of 1-2 hours at the US-Canada border, or entering Switzerland are par for the course at peak times.

OK, 2 is a lot less than six, but it's a lot to add to the Dover-Calais crossing. And it would be nice for those who celebrate the enhanced Control of British Borders to acknowledge that it comes at a cost of some inconvenience for British individuals.

It may be a price worth paying, but denying it or palming the blame off on others, just aren't on.
  • Options

Monogamy is too cruel a rule.
    You are becoming more and more French by the week....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Unpopular said:

Unpopular said:

Leon said:

Buttigieg would likely still run against her probably AOC too, they might do even if Biden runs for re election
    Is it time for Michelle Obama to save us from Trump?
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

At least Boris is a shagger for normal, understandable reasons. Musk just seems weird about it.
    Only seems.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Unpopular said:

Unpopular said:

Leon said:

AOC would have just turned 35 before the election, I can't see her going for it yet. My feeling is she'll try go for the senate (though vacancy might be an issue) and go for a run from there.

Big risk to primary so young imo.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

East Kent resident here who grew up in Canterbury, now lives a couple of miles from J10 M20. Brexit has turned these problems from something that happened one or twice a year (strikes in France, problems at sea, fires in the tunnel). to once or twice a month. I’m looking forward to the upsides of Brexit because it’s caused nothing but shite down here, Even the “French didn’t put up enough officers” doesn’t cut it - they have to do twice the checks. The traffic flow four officers could put through now needs eight. The whole thing is a British caused issue, no one else.

BTW the 1988 photo - the M20 hadn’t even been completed in 1988. Junction 8 for Maidstone to junction 9 for Ashford opened in 1991 and at the same time the extension to Dover, as part of the A20, was also constructed and opened in 1993 and a new junction, 11A was also built for the Channel Tunnel, which also wasn’t open in 1988. I don’t know where your photo is from, the A2 maybe, but it isn’t comparable with the current situation at all.
    If it takes eight staff to do the checks then hire 8 staff. Hire nine if need be.

Being in a political union for the sake of four border staff is beyond preposterous on the face of it.

There may be good reasons for Remain, or Leave, or Rejoin but that you need eight staff instead of four at the international border isn't one of them.
    Straw man. Wasn’t the point of my post and you know it, it was to point out that your photos were disingenuous bollocks designed to deliberately mislead from the fact that a political movement you espouse has caused huge problems. The need for the increased border staff is “because Brexit”. It’s our bed, you made it, now we’re lying in it. Thanks. Thanks a lot.
    They're not disingenuous bollocks, the point is that the border has had backlogs for decades whenever the French are short staffed at the border. Bugger all to do with Brexit.

If it takes 4 staff and they only have 2, or it takes 8 staff and they only have 4, is neither here nor there. Staffing levels should be at whatever is needed, if they're not then that has sod all to do with Brexit.

It's been six years since the vote. If 4 more staff were required and they haven't bothered to hire 4 people in six years that's not due to my or your vote.

We always needed border staff as we aren't in Schengen. Whether you need slightly more or not is neither here nor there, you hire to meet the demand. If there's extra demand then hire more, that's not a reason to be in a political union.
    We only needed a token border post as we waived our passports. Now details are taken because of the 90 day rule, so it is Brexit.
    "Details" aren't taken. The passport is scanned and checked (it was always scanned in the past) and now it is stamped as well and the in/out date checked as well.

That really is it.
    What do you think the scanning device is doing if it isn't taking details? Admiring the colour? Commenting on the appalling photograph? It is using these details to confirm how many days in the EU.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,579
    Leon said:

I love the French, and their insouciance to us is probably my favourite thing about them

Agreed (again blimey!). It is their insouciance to everyone who are not French that I find amusing. In any other country it would be obnoxious (eg Americans), but the French do it with such style.
    I often find French men wearyingly effeminate
    Occasionally I find French women wearyingly effeminate. Shudder at how they must find me!
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

You are so dense I am going to start calling you Malcolm. The reason for the delay, Malc, is that the passports now have to be stamped and they didn't before. If you travelled a bit more, or did a job, rather than spending all your waking hours at a keyboard trotting out ill-informed opinions based on zero experience you would work this one out. Why don't you just accept that this is because of Brexit (which it is) instead of accepting the government propaganda ( basically anti-French xenophobia) and say, "Oh well, all these people are inconvenienced, but fuck them I got Brexit which I think it is worth it" . You are either completely stupid or more dishonest than Boris Johnson and Lightweight Lizzy put together.
    I travel a lot

The process of scanning the UK passports is exactly the same & takes the same length of time. They then need to flip through looking for an empty page and stamp which probably takes 15 seconds for me and less for people with less full passports.

The reason why there are queues is because there are usually more staff for the EU lanes than the non EU lanes
  • Options
    Leon said:

I love the French, and their insouciance to us is probably my favourite thing about them

Agreed (again blimey!). It is their insouciance to everyone who are not French that I find amusing. In any other country it would be obnoxious (eg Americans), but the French do it with such style.
    You fancy French men, a bit
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Unpopular said:

Leon said:

I think there's a wealth of evidence already in support of that proposition.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

Unpopular said:

Leon said:

I think there's a wealth of evidence already in support of that proposition.
    God is just a bit bored and like to stir it for the lulz.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I'm sure you can now appreciate the hellish existence for the perennially sober.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404

HYUFD said:

The Times' support for Sunak and the Mail's and Express' support for Truss and the Telegraph's sympathies too with the latter are likely to be more significant for Tory members given more likely read a daily paper than actively use social media, especially the oldest ones
    The demographics on FB make quite surprising reading in terms of the number of people over 55. I would imagine there is quite a large number of Conservative members that have FB accounts and LinkedIn, and even a few on Instagram. I suspect close to none on TikTok, Snapchat and Discord.
    My teenagers regard Facebook as for retired people, LinkedIn is for people pretending to work. Instagram is becoming too crowed with oldies….
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    edited July 2022

The Daily Mail were running the same story 'helpfully' illustrated with this photo of Musk

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

The Daily Mail were running the same story 'helpfully' illustrated with this photo of Musk

Like Boris, women must be attracted to that muscular build..... ;-)
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

HYUFD said:

Unpopular said:

Unpopular said:

Leon said:

AOC would have just turned 35 before the election, I can't see her going for it yet. My feeling is she'll try go for the senate (though vacancy might be an issue) and go for a run from there.

Big risk to primary so young imo.
    I think Sherrod Brown might run if it goes to primary, which it surely will now. He's not even on BF's list.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,385

Good question but since both candidates have social media teams, presumably they do.
  • Options

Leon said:

Occasionally I find French women wearyingly effeminate. Shudder at how they must find me!
    I’m trying to remember the line in an Banks novel where a woman soldier is trying to insult her captor’s* side of the war - “Our women are more manly than your men!”

*good thing she doesn’t know that he is actually The Chairmaker…
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    ohnotnow said:

Are you sure that isn't Ted Heath on a yachting trip?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

My teenagers regard Facebook as for retired people, LinkedIn is for people pretending to work. Instagram is becoming too crowed with oldies….
    Each iteration of social media seems a worse form of communication that is less featured incarnation than the last.
  • Options
    By the way, does Sir Keir still want freedom of movement with the EU? And if he does, does that still include EU immigrants being treated as UK nationals as far as benefits are concerned?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209

By the way, does Sir Keir still want freedom of movement with the EU? And if he does, does that still include EU immigrants being treated as UK nationals as far as benefits are concerned?

I wonder what would happen if a Labour leader offered all EU countries (or just the rich ones) bilateral deals on freedom of movement, but on reduced terms: no access to public funds, emergency brakes, etc. Would any be interested?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

So, have I got the story so far right?

The membership are appalled that Johnson has been ousted and would vote him back in again in preference to Sunak and Truss.

The MPs wanted Johnson out but most of them want Sunak and not Truss.

If the membership can't have Johnson they will vote in droves for Remainer Truss over Leaver Sunak because he helped oust Johnson.

So we will end up with PM Truss who only a third MPs want and a membership who never wanted Johnson to leave and view Truss as distant 2nd best.

Pass the popcorn Jeeves.

Not quite, 51% of Tory MPs voted for Johnson in the final MPs round in 2019, 59% of Tory MPs voted confidence in Johnson last month.

Yet only 38% of Tory MPs voted for Sunak and just 31% for Truss in the final round of MPs votes this month

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    Leon said:

While sober did you go and have a look at the posts you made while drunk?
  • Options

Over fifteen minutes and not one response from the usually zealous Starmerites

Do you not know his position on this?

Or you don't care?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,420
    ohnotnow said:

Barry Humphreys has let himself go a bit since he stopped having to squeeze into Dame Edna's frocks.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited July 2022
    Why on Earth would anyone listen to a poster who - you know - lives near Dover?
  • Options

Leon said:

I’m trying to remember the line in an Banks novel where a woman soldier is trying to insult her captor’s* side of the war - “Our women are more manly than your men!”

The power of google would provide this:

'I hope your children die! Slowly!'

'Hmm,' he said, 'I'm not sure I qualify, but if I do it'd be a long spit.' He collapsed back on the bed, then looked aghast, and levered himself back up again. 'Shit; they really must get to you people young; that's a terrible thing for anybody to say, let alone a woman.'

'Our women are more manly than your men,' the woman sneered.

'And still you breed. Choice must be limited, I suppose.'

'May your children suffer and die horribly!' the woman shrieked.

'Well, if that's really the way you feel,' he sighed, lying back again, 'then there's nothing worse I can wish on you than to be exactly the fuckhead you so obviously are.'

'Barbarian! Infidel!'

'You'll run out of expletives soon; I'd advise saving some for later. Not that keeping forces in reserve has ever been precisely you guys' strong point, has it?'

https://library.uniteddiversity.coop/More_Books_and_Reports/The_Culture_Novels-Iain_M_Bainks-Anarchist_Science_Fiction/iain m banks - 1990 - use of weapons/04 - Use of Weapons.html

Reads like a more tempestuous evening on PB.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So, have I got the story so far right?

The membership are appalled that Johnson has been ousted and would vote him back in again in preference to Sunak and Truss.

The MPs wanted Johnson out but most of them want Sunak and not Truss.

If the membership can't have Johnson they will vote in droves for Remainer Truss over Leaver Sunak because he helped oust Johnson.

So we will end up with PM Truss who only a third MPs want and a membership who never wanted Johnson to leave and view Truss as distant 2nd best.

Pass the popcorn Jeeves.

Not quite, 51% of Tory MPs voted for Johnson in the final MPs round in 2019, 59% of Tory MPs voted confidence in Johnson last month.

Yet only 38% of Tory MPs voted for Sunak and just 31% for Truss in the final round of MPs votes this month

The one potential flaw in the Tory system (the other potential issues are features not bugs) is that without reallocating the third place candidate's MPs, in a close contest for second and third (as here), it's unclear who the clear preference amongst MPs truly was.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209

Why on Earth world anyone listen to a poster who - you know - lives near Dover?

I get all my commentary on the war in Ukraine from Sarah Palin, because she can see Russia from her house, innit.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Omnium said:

On topic, not sure what TSE means by "it would be a struggle for Corbyn to run against the Labour party’s official candidate" - that he'd be reluctant to split the party (yes, probably) or that he wouldn't win (more doubtful). A Livingstone-style result is certainly conceivable - the Mayoral job isn't very significant in policy terms, and Londoners have a history of liking controversial candidates who don't toe their party lines. But because it's now FPTP, it could let the Tory candidate win.

I don't think A.N. Other left-wing dissident candidate would stand a chance, though, so he might be tempted. It depends a bit on how roughly the forthcoming deselection issue is handled. Having canvassed actively there for a few years, I don't think a mainstream Labour candidate will beat him in Islington N if he does stand again - the personal vote was quite remarkable.

Your unswavering loyalty to Corbyn baffles me. I can't see that your views (as expressed here over the years) really align with his. I also think he's far below you in terms of intellect. Perhaps you should run?
    You're very kind. Emotionally we do align, but I'm a compromiser and a split-the-difference man and he's not. Mostly the loyalty is just personal - I like austere politicians who live modestly, concentrate on the issues and don't like attacking individuals. It's how I try to carry on myself. There are people who I don't agree with at all who I like in that way - the older I get, the most tired I am of people who see politics as being all about their egos.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282

Or you don't care?
    We’ve got better things to do on a Sunday evening than respond to bad faith posting from boggle eyed partisans. Especially when they know full well he ruled that out last month. Jog on.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,259
    algarkirk said:

Does anyone know the SNP policy on:

Whether they support FoM between an EU Scotland and a non EU England

and

How the border will work with relation to people and goods?

I believe the SNP policy is that the magical thinking adopted by the Westminster government for the Northern Ireland borders is good enough for Scotland. About the only time the SNP have agreed with anything from Westminster.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332

ohnotnow said:

Barry Humphreys has let himself go a bit since he stopped having to squeeze into Dame Edna's frocks.
    He looks like David Walliams doing a Little Britain sketch.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

The power of google would provide this:

'I hope your children die! Slowly!'

'Hmm,' he said, 'I'm not sure I qualify, but if I do it'd be a long spit.' He collapsed back on the bed, then looked aghast, and levered himself back up again. 'Shit; they really must get to you people young; that's a terrible thing for anybody to say, let alone a woman.'

'Our women are more manly than your men,' the woman sneered.

'And still you breed. Choice must be limited, I suppose.'

'May your children suffer and die horribly!' the woman shrieked.

'Well, if that's really the way you feel,' he sighed, lying back again, 'then there's nothing worse I can wish on you than to be exactly the fuckhead you so obviously are.'

'Barbarian! Infidel!'

'You'll run out of expletives soon; I'd advise saving some for later. Not that keeping forces in reserve has ever been precisely you guys' strong point, has it?'

https://library.uniteddiversity.coop/More_Books_and_Reports/The_Culture_Novels-Iain_M_Bainks-Anarchist_Science_Fiction/iain m banks - 1990 - use of weapons/04 - Use of Weapons.html

Reads like a more tempestuous evening on PB.
    For some reason I thought it was from one of the later ones where Elethomiel pops up again…
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,300
    edited July 2022

Why on Earth would anyone listen to a poster who - you know - lives near Dover?

You mean you live near Dover, Delaware?
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Or you don't care?
    We’ve got better things to do on a Sunday evening than respond to bad faith posting from boggle eyed partisans. Especially when they know full well he ruled that out last month. Jog on.
    He's ruled out another leadership election promise?

Boris/Liz/Rishi could learn a thing or two
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,102
    Leon said:

I am extremely happy to report that my older daughter's beloved dog, young Beagle-mongrel T. H. E. Bramble, Esq, A Dog, has returned home - apparently unharmed after 15 epileptic seizures and 2 days at the dog hospital

Daughter and Dog are reunited. Praise be

Deffo worth opening another bottle!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609

Imagine Boris with a few tens of billions in the bank.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

Good question but since both candidates have social media teams, presumably they do.
    Conservative members may not be on SM, but nearly all journalists and commentators are. The SM battle is for them, so indirectly to influence the members.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,195
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

I am extremely happy to report that my older daughter's beloved dog, young Beagle-mongrel T. H. E. Bramble, Esq, A Dog, has returned home - apparently unharmed after 15 epileptic seizures and 2 days at the dog hospital

Despite my best intentions, I have become attached to this ridiculous animal

When I was young I resolved never to love another animal - after my favourite kitten - "Smut" - got run over aged about 12 weeks, and after a tiny orphaned mammal - vole? - which I adopted, died in the airing cupboard, even tho I fed it warm milk with a pipette day after day. I was about nine?

Thereafter I hardened my hearts to animals. Honestly. I have never truly loved an animal since, and as a result I haven't felt sad when they die about three weeks after you meet them, which animals inevitably do

And yet, T. H. E. Bramble Esq, Dog, has got the better of me. Damn him

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,226
    I can't understand how Americans watch things like Indycar. Not only is absolutely everything in the race sponsored, but then they go for lengthy ad breaks every 10 minutes or so.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Despite my best intentions, I have become attached to this ridiculous animal

When I was young I resolved never to love another animal - after my favourite kitten - "Smut" - got run over aged about 12 weeks, and after a tiny orphaned mammal - vole? - which I adopted, died in the airing cupboard, even tho I fed it warm milk with a pipette day after day. I was about nine?

Thereafter I hardened my hearts to animals. Honestly. I have never truly loved an animal since, and as a result I haven't felt sad when they die about three weeks after you meet them, which animals inevitably do

And yet, T. H. E. Bramble Esq, Dog, has got the better of me. Damn him

Great to hear the doggie is back home and doing well.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,190
    edited July 2022
    Nigelb said:

He'd look like this:

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited July 2022
    Oh well was bound to happen sooner or later - after feeling a bit rough yesterday with flu-y symptoms tested positive for COVID. Only have had minor examples of two of the symptoms - none of the others - small increase in temperature now back to normal and occasional cough, not consistent. Feeling a bit better today - hoping this trajectory continues!
  • Options
    Best song/cover/sample combination

Bo Diddley - Hit Or Miss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSRDz2wm0Dk

Odetta - Hit Or Miss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkM4d2CoF0E

De La Soul Q Tip and the Jungle Brothers - Buddy
    https://www.whosampled.com/De-La-Soul/Buddy/

I've got other entries
  • Options

Nigelb said:

He'd look like this:

I don’t think the world is yet ready for such an image of the Johnson.
  • Options

Fine by me if I am allowed to own Europe again too.

Hasn't Starmer done the full Truss pro- Brexit u-turn?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

He'd look like this:

I don’t think the world is yet ready for such an image of the Johnson.
    He's let himself go since he resigned from office.
  • Options
    Is a much hyped field of quantum computing going to go the same way as the amyloid hypothesis ?

Major Quantum Computing Strategy Suffers Serious Setbacks

So-called topological quantum computing would avoid many of the problems that stand in the way of full-scale quantum computers. But high-profile missteps have led some experts to question whether the field is fooling itself.
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/major-quantum-computing-strategy-suffers-serious-setbacks-20210929/

Majorana was as enigmatic as his eponymous particles have remained for the best part of a century.
    In 1937, the Italian physicist Ettore Majorana proposed the existence of hypothetical fundamental particles that were their own antiparticles. No such particle has ever been seen. One year after his proposal, Majorana mysteriously disappeared.…
  • Options

Oh well was bound to happen sooner or later - after feeling a bit rough yesterday with flu-y symptoms tested positive for COVID. Only have had minor examples of two of the symptoms - none of the others - small increase in temperature now back to normal and occasional cough, not consistent. Feeling a bit better today - hoping this trajectory continues!

Sounds encouraging, but I wish you a full and prompt recovery nonetheless.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Nigelb said:

Is a much hyped field of quantum computing going to go the same way as the amyloid hypothesis ?

So-called topological quantum computing would avoid many of the problems that stand in the way of full-scale quantum computers. But high-profile missteps have led some experts to question whether the field is fooling itself.
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/major-quantum-computing-strategy-suffers-serious-setbacks-20210929/

Majorana was as enigmatic as his eponymous particles have remained for the best part of a century.
    In 1937, the Italian physicist Ettore Majorana proposed the existence of hypothetical fundamental particles that were their own antiparticles. No such particle has ever been seen. One year after his proposal, Majorana mysteriously disappeared.…

Nigelb said:

Did he meet his own anti particle and annihilate?
  • Options

Oh dear. Sorry to read this. Hope for speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Our soon to be robot overloads don't take no crap from cheeky little shits trying to show them up....

Chess robot breaks seven-year-old boy's finger during Moscow Open
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62286017
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952
    🚨‘Distortion of democracy’: Fury over new rule that allows Tory members to change their leadership vote

❌Liz Truss's supporters fear a second ballot could favour rival Rishi Sunak and work against her early lead in the polls

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/23/distortion-democracy-fury-new-rule-allows-tory-members-change/

❌It has also emerged that Party members who are not UK citizens are allowed to vote, even though they are electing the next PM and would not be allowed to vote in a General Election

❌Tory party members are furious about the way the leadership contest has been organised

John Strafford, chair of the Campaign for Conservative Democracy which represents grassroots activists, said the ability to vote twice is a “complete distortion of democracy”
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

A quip hallowed by long usage. :smile:
  • Options
    Just spent half an hour watering the garden plants.

It is now pissing down with heavy rain.

Sums up my July so far. :disappointed:
  • Options
    BTW @StuartDickson do Swedes give Doris Svensson her due for being the coolest Swedish singer of all time?

Don't - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6iECoUEFVs
    Beatmaker - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3G8rm0Lk8
    Did You Give The World Some Love Today, Baby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crNtwZ8JVCc
  • Options

It ever rains when you pour...
  • Options
    That is an amazing "commentators curse" in the Indycar.

Of course it happened on a US adbreak.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952

You'll be needing your coat
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

Are you trying to butt in on this conversation?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,113
    carnforth said:

I wonder what would happen if a Labour leader offered all EU countries (or just the rich ones) bilateral deals on freedom of movement, but on reduced terms: no access to public funds, emergency brakes, etc. Would any be interested?
    No.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,226

Which are every 3 minutes
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Are you trying to make the case that there is a form of motorsport more boring than Formula 1?
  • Options
    A single picture summing up the state of Russian engineering.
    https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1551199976436469764
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Are you trying to make the case that there is a form of motorsport more boring than Formula 1?
    There's a whole world of boring motorsports to be excited by!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Get well. We can’t have one of our few female voices keeling over!
    This is the bit in the Downfall vids where they say Errrm ... mein fuhrer...

CV ist keine Frau
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Major Quantum Computing Strategy meets Colonel Bells-Inequality
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

carnforth said:

No.
    We could have all that but Blair and Brown refused to sort out our welfare state and make it “contribution based” in 2002-5.

I say “contribution based” as the contribution can be as simple as staying in education between ages 16-18.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Hope you get well soon and continue to be able to post comments that I can disagree wirh.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Did we really pay Rwanda a large sum of money to handle 200 immigration cases a year?

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1551313012706971649

Sunder Katwala
    @sundersays
    Sunak's solution is that *everyone* who crosses the Channel must know they will go to "Kigali, not King's Cross"

Rwanda Government has capacity for 200 people. It makes 30-300 asylum decisions a year. Sunak just promised to deport 20,000 asylum seekers there. He can't do this
This discussion has been closed.