Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Clash: London calling for Corbyn? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432

Deep struggle for TSE.

Will his hatred of Brexit or of the French win out?

Currently I find Brexiteers more annoying than the French and the French tried to tear gas me two months ago.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226

Tres said:

I wonder if we called Africans niggers, if that would be ok

N word is racist.

Scouse, Geordie, Frog, Rosbif, Yank etc isn't.

That's the difference. Don't be racist.
    "Frog" isn't racist. Its just stupid.
    Maybe. I don't cry whenever I get called a Scouser though.

It isn't racist. That's about the end of the conversation surely?
    scouser isn't a slur, frog is.
    What about ‘dingle’?
    Don't know what you mean, other than an Emmerdale Farm reference?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,526
    edited July 2022

MattW said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Well done, we've gone from having tailbacks every time the French go on strike to having tailbacks every time English schools go on holiday.
    We've gone from having tailbacks every time the French screw things around, to having tailbacks every time the French screw things around.

The French aren't manning their border posts. What did you expect to happen when the French don't man their border posts? Has f**k all to do with Brexit.

If the French don't want tourists, the public should react accordingly.
    Brexit means every child in every coach for every school trip has to have their passport stamped.
    So what?

Have enough staff to do the stamps then.
    How long does it take to drive the coach off the ferry and go, vs drive it off. Park up. Line up all the kids, do biometrics, stamp their passports, then reload them and set off?

As there is nowhere to park lines of coaches at Dover, that means a big queue. Every single time. Not every time there is a strike or boats break down. You post photos of those saying "is this Brexit" which demonstrates to all of us that you are a daft sod. We know - and YOU know - what is going on. But are saying the sky is green because of some kind of political delusion.

Please stop. You have more intelligence than this.
    Bollocks. This happened because the border posts weren't staffed. That's no different to a strike.
    Erm, bollocks. Aside from the repeatedly posted with evidence fact that the posts did all get staffed (not at the start of this but during) we have the simple fact that checks take time which reduces throughout which creates queues.

I would say this is like Father Ted explaining perspective to Father Dougal. But you are demonstrating the same IQ as the plastic cow.

If lying to yourself by posting guff makes you feel better then OK. mental health is important. But wowsers, you aren't making friends and influencing people.
    Yes - the French *eventually* staffed the posts on the French border in Dover to do border checks for entry to France, hours later according to the Port of Dover.

And things are now back running smoothly, according to the French.

I wonder how that happened if the is problem of lack of port capacity?
    We know how long the current checks take. And can guess how long the biometric checks will take. Something like Eurotunnel was designed to roll vehicles straight on and straight off. Its a big problem that everyone will need to get out of their vehicles.

I do have to laugh though. To listen to some of you the lack of staff at the French border is unique and unheard of at the UK border.
    I love the rapid pivot to a different question and a supplementary, the French authorities having provided the answer to this one that the issue was a diversion of their staff. :smile:

My cat used to try and do that when it was embarrassed after failing to catch a sparrow. It would either wash itself or stare fixedly in the other direction.

Somehow I don't think the UK would be using border contr`ol staff to fix a 'technical ' problem in the channel tunnel.

According to my news sources, French border facilities at Dover are currently being expanded by 50%, which should do a lot to deal with the alleged extra one and a half minutes needed for the biometric check.

No idea how it will work on the Channel Tunnel, but the EU give France the autonomy to decide how to implement, so they have the option of being intelligence-led for once.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,275

Let's face it, it's really only metropolitan leftie elite sneering remainers who travel to, or through, France.
    Proper English patriots, who happen to be Brexiteers, wouldn't go near Macron's fiefdom, so they fly to the Costas or holiday in Skegness, or go wherever everybody speaks English.
    So basically, those stuck in queues in Dover or Folkestone had it coming to them. Serves them right for trying to give Macron some dosh.

Many of them are travelling through France to Spain or Italy.

I am sure they are currently comparing their experience of Brexit in reality with the imagined Brexit many of them will have envisaged when they cast their vote…

The sad truth is that long queues to cross the border are pretty much inevitable wherever the EU meets a third country. It’s just that we Brits were never warned (other than through ‘project fear’) that this would be our fate should we vote to leave the EU.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

Deep struggle for TSE.

Currently I find Brexiteers more annoying than the French and the French tried to tear gas me two months ago.
    The French are still in the EU...
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    Tres said:

N word is racist.

Have you missed the campaign to reclaim the word?

There are people from Liverpool who believe it's fine to call each other Scouser, but with a straight face will compare you using it to calling a black person the N-word.
  • Options

Tres said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Indeed, so what do you think Les Rosbifs is?
    also a slur, but one I have never heard a french person use if I'm honest. vmmv
    As the thread header refers to "Gammons" all the subsequent slurs are, at the very least, 'on topic'.
    LOL though to be fair "Gammons" was a wonderful piece of nominative determinism.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Don't use the n word in any form.

The spam trap puts you automatically in the cooler and it does the same to the people who reply to it.

Cheers, was not aware.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,587
    edited July 2022
    Tres said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

What about ‘dingle’?
    Desmond Olivier Dingle - The National Theatre of Brent.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944
    FFS

Liz Truss allies say that Rishi Sunak's plans to house migrants on cruise ships rather than in hotels would breach international law

They say that it will ultimately end up creating prison ships in areas that are in need of tourism and investment

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1551208545265324034
  • Options

The spam trap puts you automatically in the cooler and it does the same to the people who reply to it.

So if we think Truss is a nutter how best should we phrase it for PB’ers’ edification?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    Tres said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

What about ‘dingle’?
    West Brom fans use it against Wolves fans.
  • Options

Cheers, was not aware.
    It's ok, fortunately it is a word that is seldom used on PB.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Not just the NHS then...

Michael Hall
    @hallpaintings
    Heartbreaking watching the demise of the acute care system in Australia. Today's versions. 5 day waits for a bed. Ambulance delays. 7 to 10 hour waits to be seen for sick kids. Meeting no one's expectations (including our own)and not able to support community fully when needed.

https://twitter.com/hallpaintings/status/1546468719505076224
  • Options
    Don’t know WTF Ferrari are playing at, but Sainz driving really well.
    And a slow effing pit stop !

Leclerc admits his mistake.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,220

Deep struggle for TSE.

You want to steal their country. Of course they gassed you...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited July 2022
    Tres said:

N word is racist.

It's time that the English coined a bit of slang for themselves to go with Frogs, Huns, Eyeties, Jocks, Paddies, Taffies and all their other hilarious epithets for the rest of the world so they can join in the bantz. It's getting so that if you happen to start a description with 'English' you immediately get accused of being a racist, a bit of lighthearted, reciprocal name calling would I'm sure defuse the situation.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Tres said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

As the thread header refers to "Gammons" all the subsequent slurs are, at the very least, 'on topic'.
    LOL though to be fair "Gammons" was a wonderful piece of nominative determinism.
    Are we doing Frogs and Rosbifs again? Both are absolutely fine.

Why can't the outrage bus be caught in a French queue somewhere?

I'm off for a bike.

Play nicely.
  • Options

Tres said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Peter Gammons.

https://gammons.london/
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432

tlg86 said:

The reality is, the only way to ensure no problems at the border with France is to be in Schengen.

No, invading France is a better solution.
    Though, purely in the interests of technical accuracy, being invaded by France would have the same effect.
  • Options
    Pretty good GP on what’s usually a boring track.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*
    Tries to stop himself joining in... fails.

Surely 'scouser' is akin to brummie, cockney or geordie? Does anyone at all take offence at these?

Frog, to my mind is a level above, akin to kraut, paddy, etc.

The latter group are noted as derogatory, offensive etc. in dictionaries, the former group are not.

It's not hard really.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    I thought Pork Market might have been Liz's nickname after seeing that spreadsheet..
  • Options
    Sunak allies hit back at Truss:

'Good to see Remainer Truss on the side of human rights lawyers'

It may be Sunday afternoon but both campaigns are still going full tilt at one another

Crucial BBC debate tomorrow evening

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1551210437701779457
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

It's time that the English coined a bit of slang for themselves to go with Frogs, Huns, Eyeties, Jocks, Paddies, Taffies and all their other hilarious epithets for the rest of the world so they can join in the bantz. It's getting so that if you happen to start a description with 'English' you immediately get accused of being a racist. A bit of lighthearted name calling would I'm sure defuse the situation.
    Surely it's others responsibility to coin terms for us?

Anyway are Pom, Rosbif, Limey or Sassenach not enough to get started with?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,220
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Well done, we've gone from having tailbacks every time the French go on strike to having tailbacks every time English schools go on holiday.
    We've gone from having tailbacks every time the French screw things around, to having tailbacks every time the French screw things around.

The French aren't manning their border posts. What did you expect to happen when the French don't man their border posts? Has f**k all to do with Brexit.

Brexit means every child in every coach for every school trip has to have their passport stamped.
    So what?

How long does it take to drive the coach off the ferry and go, vs drive it off. Park up. Line up all the kids, do biometrics, stamp their passports, then reload them and set off?

As there is nowhere to park lines of coaches at Dover, that means a big queue. Every single time. Not every time there is a strike or boats break down. You post photos of those saying "is this Brexit" which demonstrates to all of us that you are a daft sod. We know - and YOU know - what is going on. But are saying the sky is green because of some kind of political delusion.

Bollocks. This happened because the border posts weren't staffed. That's no different to a strike.
    Erm, bollocks. Aside from the repeatedly posted with evidence fact that the posts did all get staffed (not at the start of this but during) we have the simple fact that checks take time which reduces throughout which creates queues.

I would say this is like Father Ted explaining perspective to Father Dougal. But you are demonstrating the same IQ as the plastic cow.

If lying to yourself by posting guff makes you feel better then OK. mental health is important. But wowsers, you aren't making friends and influencing people.
    Yes - the French *eventually* staffed the posts on the French border in Dover to do border checks for entry to France, hours later according to the Port of Dover.

And things are now back running smoothly, according to the French.

I wonder how that happened if the is problem of lack of port capacity?
    We know how long the current checks take. And can guess how long the biometric checks will take. Something like Eurotunnel was designed to roll vehicles straight on and straight off. Its a big problem that everyone will need to get out of their vehicles.

I do have to laugh though. To listen to some of you the lack of staff at the French border is unique and unheard of at the UK border.
    I love the rapid pivot to a different question and a supplementary, the French authorities having provided the answer to this one that the issue was a diversion of their staff. :smile:

My cat used to try and do that when it was embarrassed after failing to catch a sparrow. It would either wash itself or stare fixedly in the other direction.

Somehow I don't think the UK would be using border contr`ol staff to fix a 'technical ' problem in the channel tunnel.

According to my news sources, French border facilities at Dover are currently being expanded by 50%, which should do a lot to deal with the alleged extra one and a half minutes needed for the biometric check.

No idea how it will work on the Channel Tunnel, but the EU give France the autonomy to decide how to implement, so they have the option of being intelligence-led for once.
    What pivot? There are issues piled on top of issues
    1. The weekend at the start of the English school holidays are always the big week for passenger traffic
    2. Doubly so thanks to Covid
    3. First big weekend testing the new system of having stamp passports which is slow
    4. Dover asked for £33m to double the number of posts so it could cope. Didn't get funded.
    5. French managed to not staff every single booth at the start of the rush
    6. Our decrepit customs system also sat down immediately before so there was a big HGV backlog

Its no wonder it didn't cope. Will it be as acute as that again? Only at big getaway weekends. But we know the new checks are slow and the newer ones with biometrics will be worse.

No single issue is the blame. All of them combined is the blame. Isn't that obvious to anyone who isn't a zealot on either side of this row?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314

Deep struggle for TSE.

Had nothing to do with him being a Liverpool fan. Somebody tipped them off he was a lawyer.
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

Surely 'scouser' is akin to brummie, cockney or geordie? Does anyone at all take offence at these?

The latter group are noted as derogatory, offensive etc. in dictionaries, the former group are not.

It's not hard really.
    Sometimes consistency doesn't always work.

We're all okay with shortening Australians to Aussies, do the same to Pakistanis and well.....
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

FFS

Liz Truss allies say that Rishi Sunak's plans to house migrants on cruise ships rather than in hotels would breach international law

They say that it will ultimately end up creating prison ships in areas that are in need of tourism and investment

Don't think she has quite got the basic idea of this race to the further reaches of rock bottom right wing ideas to pitch to the members.

She's suppose to trump it by saying cruise ships are too comfy for them and make it disused trawlers or some such.
  • Options

Not just the NHS then...

Michael Hall
    @hallpaintings
    Heartbreaking watching the demise of the acute care system in Australia. Today's versions. 5 day waits for a bed. Ambulance delays. 7 to 10 hour waits to be seen for sick kids. Meeting no one's expectations (including our own)and not able to support community fully when needed.

https://twitter.com/hallpaintings/status/1546468719505076224

After that rather weird peace in the FT the other day with its "interesting" stats, I've been looking for some international comparisons on impact on Health Systems of the pandemic.

Does anyone have any information?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

carnforth said:

Can anyone clear up this possibly false memory for me?

About twenty years ago, I remember getting a coach from London to Paris. The coach went on a ferry, and we decamped upstairs, getting back on when it was time for the coach to get off the ferry. When we got to Paris, a guy came on the coach with a laptop, and checked our passports, one by one, as we got off the coach.

Now, surely that can't have been the only passport control - we must have been checked on the way onto the ferry? Or was it some sort of double check?

It sounds no different from what would happen, if i recall correctly, when I was travelling between european countries by train in my youth. As the train approached a border, passport officers would get on and start roaming the carriages checking passports. The train didn't stop at the border.

Yes, I remember in my Inter-Rail days in the early 80s being prodded awake by a West German border guard from the Bundesgrenzschutz on the way to Hamburg from Denmark. He wasn't to be trifled with and nor was the rather obvious gun he was carrying. He didn't think much of the Dutch or Danish in the carriage but was almost friendly on seeing the British passport.

Even then they seemed to have some record of passports of other nationalities (a sort of pre-Schengen) but once the British passport was in order, all was fine.

Back on those German trains, you could get Bockwurst with Mustard for a Mark 50 and the trolley advertised prices in Marks, Kroner, Guilder, Francs and Lira and the attendant would take any of those currencies but not sterling. The Bockwurst would be steaming in a huge tray and you'd get one with a stale bread roll, mustard and some ketchup for a mark and a half - happy days...
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.

We're all okay with shortening Australians to Aussies, do the same to Pakistanis and well.....
    Say it aloud for it to work ...

The ruler of a Kingdom is a King, a County is a Count. Boris rules a country so he is a ...
  • Options

Deep struggle for TSE.

Steal? I just want them to honour the Treaty of Troyes.

Breaking international treaties is so bad.
  • Options
    stodge said:

carnforth said:

Can anyone clear up this possibly false memory for me?

About twenty years ago, I remember getting a coach from London to Paris. The coach went on a ferry, and we decamped upstairs, getting back on when it was time for the coach to get off the ferry. When we got to Paris, a guy came on the coach with a laptop, and checked our passports, one by one, as we got off the coach.

Now, surely that can't have been the only passport control - we must have been checked on the way onto the ferry? Or was it some sort of double check?

It sounds no different from what would happen, if i recall correctly, when I was travelling between european countries by train in my youth. As the train approached a border, passport officers would get on and start roaming the carriages checking passports. The train didn't stop at the border.

Yes, I remember in my Inter-Rail days in the early 80s being prodded awake by a West German border guard from the Bundesgrenzschutz on the way to Hamburg from Denmark. He wasn't to be trifled with and nor was the rather obvious gun he was carrying. He didn't think much of the Dutch or Danish in the carriage but was almost friendly on seeing the British passport.

Even then they seemed to have some record of passports of other nationalities (a sort of pre-Schengen) but once the British passport was in order, all was fine.

Back on those German trains, you could get Bockwurst with Mustard for a Mark 50 and the trolley advertised prices in Marks, Kroner, Guilder, Francs and Lira and the attendant would take any of those currencies but not sterling. The Bockwurst would be steaming in a huge tray and you'd get one with a stale bread roll, mustard and some ketchup for a mark and a half - happy days...
    Happy days indeed! I did Inter-rail in 1984.

Can't remember the meals on the trains though. But do remember getting on a german train and spending a few minutes making polite small talk with a guy in his 60s. I remarked at one point that his English was excellent and asked where he had learnt it.

In one of your prisoner of war camps came the answer.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081

Tres said:

N word is racist.

It's time that the English coined a bit of slang for themselves to go with Frogs, Huns, Eyeties, Jocks, Paddies, Taffies and all their other hilarious epithets for the rest of the world so they can join in the bantz. It's getting so that if you happen to start a description with 'English' you immediately get accused of being a racist. A bit of lighthearted name calling would I'm sure defuse the situation.

Get up to date daddio, at least 3 of those originate in the C18th, and sassenach can also refer to a Scottish lowlander. It's precisely the type of word a non Scot thinks Scots use all the time, actualité close to zero.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

Scott_xP said:

FFS

Don't think she has quite got the basic idea of this race to the further reaches of rock bottom right wing ideas to pitch to the members.

She's suppose to trump it by saying cruise ships are too comfy for them and make it disused trawlers or some such.
    If you want to think of it that way then you're missing the dog whistle, which is that the ships would be too close to Britain.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It may be Sunday afternoon but both campaigns are still going full tilt at one another

"Remainer Truss".

Someone been dipping into the Trump playbook to look at use of nicknames?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

Deep struggle for TSE.

Steal? I just want them to honour the Treaty of Troyes.

Breaking international treaties is so bad.
    A friend of mine got married in Troyes. It’s a fine place. Local plonk was rather decent.
  • Options
    NEW by me

How Boris Johnson could chart a course back to Number 10

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/24/how-boris-johnson-could-chart-course-back-number-10/
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Get up to date daddio, at least 3 of those originate in the C18th, and sassenach can also refer to a Scottish lowlander. It's precisely the type of word a non Scot thinks Scots use all the time, actualité close to zero.
    That they are old terms doesn't mean they're not used.

I was called a Pom very routinely growing up in Aus, especially any Ashes. Often Pom is suffixed with "-y bastard".

My father in law, from Leith, introduced me to the term Sassenach.
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.

Words gather connotations through use, independent of their etymology; that you cannot determine a word's acceptability from its derivation is no surprise.

I would take offence at being called a cripple but am ok to be referred to as disabled (disabled person = better). The way words have been used in the past dictate their significance today. Spastic is a perfectly neutral word when describing a muscle, but offensive when describing a person.

Barty has chosen to use a word generally regarded as offensive to describe the French.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/frog#Noun_2

Maybe he didn't realise but I doubt it. Either way it says a lot about him, none of it good.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314

Deep struggle for TSE.

He can probably resolve the dissonance by believing that the horrors of Brexit are being made deliberately worse by the French.

There may even be a soupcon of truth in this.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    You're Christopher Hope ?!
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.

Words gather connotations through use, independent of their etymology; that you cannot determine a word's acceptability from its derivation is no surprise.

I would take offence at being called a cripple but am ok to be referred to as disabled (disabled person = better). The way words have been used in the past dictate their significance today. Spastic is a perfectly neutral word when describing a muscle, but offensive when describing a person.

Barty has chosen to use a word generally regarded as offensive to describe the French.

Maybe he didn't realise but I doubt it. Either way it says a lot about him, none of it good.
    Offensive my arse.

It's no more offensive than Pom, Rosbif, Scouse, Geordie or Yank. Cut the crap.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

FFS

If you want to think of it that way then you're missing the dog whistle, which is that the ships would be too close to Britain.
    Can't they be moored off the coast of Rwanda?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,281
    Disappointing that Max did not have to stop again. Thought he might have done having stopped so early.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

tlg86 said:

The reality is, the only way to ensure no problems at the border with France is to be in Schengen.

1453 and all that?
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.

Offensive my arse.

It's not me saying that. Buy a decent dictionary.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

Scott_xP said:

FFS

Can't they be moored off the coast of Rwanda?
    It’s got some nice lakes they could use.
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.

Offensive my arse.

The one trouble with online debate is that people who have essentially opted out of the modern world can go online and try to find a community that allows them to live out their remaining years as if we were still in the last century.
  • Options
    I wonder if it’s okay to call black people the n word now since it’s okay to call the French frogs

I wonder if calling Pakistan people Pakis is ok
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

I know that you know the UK has offered this reciprocal deal on several occasions.

The EU has refused. I don’t know why, but they are making their citizens a little bit worse for some political reason

• Options

I wonder if it’s okay to call black people the n word now since it’s okay to call the French frogs

I wonder if calling Pakistan people P***s is ok

No. We've already done this.

N word, P word (you probably shouldn't write it, I censored it in my reply) etc are offensive and racist.

Yank, Frog, Pom, Scouser, Geordie etc are not. Don't be ridiculous.

I won't hold my breath for you to react with this same mock outrage next time someone uses the term Scouse as an insult.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,034
    carnforth said:

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

Is the EUs refusal to allow us group passports for school trips a result of us refusing to allow them group passports for school trips - i.e a deal was available but we declined - or did they never offer it to us?
    We offered they declined

• Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,227
    edited July 2022

I wonder if calling Pakistan people Pakis is ok

Grenouilles is better; I'm told they appreciate the effort to use their language
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,663
    Picture the stampede of lenders to SINDY:

The latest brilliant wheeze to emerge from @RideoutTim’s Scottish Currency Group - advised by “at least half a dozen senior bankers” - is for compound interest to be prohibited in an independent Scotland.

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1359130058225573891
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.

Offensive my arse.

The one trouble with online debate is that people who have essentially opted out of the modern world can go online and try to find a community that allows them to live out their remaining years as if we were still in the last century.
    Fair enough. Just not this online community please.
  • Options

The latest brilliant wheeze to emerge from @RideoutTim’s Scottish Currency Group - advised by “at least half a dozen senior bankers” - is for compound interest to be prohibited in an independent Scotland.

Does that mean the interest rate gets smaller?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

Banning exponential growth would have come in handy during the pandemic.
  • Options

Dafuq?

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,226
    it all makes sense when you realise barty grew up in australia.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: post-race analysis: https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2022/07/france-post-race-analysis.html

Essentially, I massively underestimated how difficult passing would be. Thought the new regulations would improve that rather more.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Dafuq?

I know where I’m moving post-independence.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dafuq?

I know where I’m moving post-independence.
    And I know where the banks are moving post independence.
  • Options

Dafuq?

They'll have to have a 50% interest rate
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,376

Betfair next prime minister
    1.53 Liz Truss 65%
    2.92 Rishi Sunak 34%

Next Conservative leader
    1.52 Liz Truss 66%
    2.92 Rishi Sunak 34%

Betfair next prime minister
    1.52 Liz Truss 66%
    2.96 Rishi Sunak 34%

Next Conservative leader
    1.52 Liz Truss 66%
    2.96 Rishi Sunak 34%
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

tlg86 said:

1453 and all that?
    Il ne faut pas mentionner la bataille de Castillon.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Born on Merseyside and grew up down under so I've heard Pom and Scouse all my life and never once moaned about either. Frog is in the same league as those, it isn't racist like N, P or W words.

For those pretending to be offended at the term Frog, but think Scouse etc is OK, can I ask where the line is drawn? Is cheese eating surrender monkeys OK or is that out too?
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

The banks will not have any cash to lend because no one will deposit money without compound interest.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Tres said:

Born on Merseyside and grew up down under so I've heard Pom and Scouse all my life and never once moaned about either. Frog is in the same league as those, it isn't racist like N, P or W words.

For those pretending to be offended at the term Frog, but think Scouse etc is OK, can I ask where the line is drawn? Is cheese eating surrender monkeys OK or is that out too?
    Badge of honour, I'd have thought, reflecting as it does a mature and principled decision not to take part in a war crime.
  • Options

Tres said:

Tres said:

2015 - Because Brexit?

2005 - Because Brexit?

1988 - Because Brexit?

So what?

I know that you know the UK has offered this reciprocal deal on several occasions.

The EU has refused. I don’t know why, but they are making their citizens a little bit worse for some political reason

The EU thinks they are punishing us by stopping us going to France. It's over twenty years since I went. Prefer Greek islands and the Lake District.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Pensfold said:

The banks will not have any cash to lend because no one will deposit money without compound interest.
    You get interest on your deposits?
  • Options

Does that mean the interest rate gets smaller?
    No, because there will not be any banking in Scotlnd.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612

Scott_xP said:

"Remainer Truss".

Someone been dipping into the Trump playbook to look at use of nicknames?
    She's had so many U-turns it has made her head spin, has Dizzy Lizzy.
  • Options

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.

Say it aloud for it to work ...

The ruler of a Kingdom is a King, a County is a Count. Boris rules a country so he is a ...
    Count.
  • Options
  • Options

N word, P word (you probably shouldn't write it, I censored it in my reply) etc are offensive and racist.

I won't hold my breath for you to react with this same mock outrage next time someone uses the term Scouse as an insult.
    Why is Paki different to Frog? Is it because you happen to use one and not the other?
  • Options
    BBC Scotland showed 9 of 10 Sunday front pages. For some reason, this one escaped their attention:

Maybe they didn’t consider “SNP Sex pest” newsworthy?
  • Options

Why is P**i different to Frog? Is it because you happen to use one and not the other?
    Because the P-word is racist and Frog is not.

Same as why the N-word is verboten.

Why are you so Ok using racist words uncensored? I censored it for you again.
  • Options

Why is Paki different to Frog? Is it because you happen to use one and not the other?
    Tory is pretty offensive. I think only us Tories should be allowed to use it
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Why does the n word have an automatic ban hammer but the p word doesn’t?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Exactly
  • Options

Tres said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDrZpuGp6aA

• Options
    tlg86 said:

One is part of other words whilst one is not.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The n word will cause problems with advertising revenue, from mainly American based software.

They probably don't object to the p word to the same extent but it still shouldn't be used.

The f word doesn't go ribbit.
  • Options

Why is P**i different to Frog? Is it because you happen to use one and not the other?

Because I am explaining what the words are.

Just like saying I don't get why the word cunt is not allowed but fuck is. I am not using the words merely using them as an example
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250

Tres said:

N word is racist.

Oookaaayyy.

*Backs slowly away*

It's not hard really.
    I don't think Frog is quite the same as Paddy. Paddy is offensive because it's traditionally used by British people who think they are better than Irish people. Frog tends to be used by British people who are angry because they are worried they are inferior to French people. So less offensive.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

Can you not code for a space or punctuation after it? Appreciate this might be one for Robert!

Someone got upset for me using the other p word. My brother in law calls them do as you likeys so that’s what I call them now.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,227
    edited July 2022

tlg86 said:

I think someone sniggered at that.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited July 2022

Just like saying I don't get why the word c**t is not allowed but fuck is. I am not using the words merely using them as an example
    FFS c*** is forbidden too!

Using forbidden words can affect the websites advertising revenues. That's why they're forbidden!

You can use a censored version of the word if you want to ask a question I believe but using them uncensored harms the website so don't do it!
  • Options
    Surely you can use a very simple regular expression to stop paki
  • Options

Just like saying I don't get why the word c**t is not allowed but fuck is. I am not using the words merely using them as an example

Using forbidden words can affect the websites advertising revenues. That's why they're forbidden!
    Sniggering in Scunthorpe is loaded with difficulty
  • Options

You can use a censored version of the word if you want to ask a question I believe but using them uncensored harms the website so don't do it!
    The redacted thing in the woodpile here is, this site does not carry ads. unless it's like the bbc and only serves them to people in the abroad.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Can you not code for a space or punctuation after it? Appreciate this might be one for Robert!

Someone got upset for me using the other p word. My brother in law calls them do as you likeys so that’s what I call them now.
    IIRC Vanilla is a North American company so they are configured for their home market.

I think the coding issue is a lot of work for a word that is seldom used on PB.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

The redacted thing in the woodpile here is, this site does not carry ads. unless it's like the bbc and only serves them to people in the abroad.
    It does on the main site doesn't it?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

IIRC Vanilla is a North American company so they are configured for their home market.

I think the coding issue is a lot of work for a word that is seldom used on PB.
    It's just a one line regular expression :/
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I think someone sniggered at that.
    Oops, I meant the start of words.
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244

We really are such a bunch of do-gooding nannies in this country
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

It does on the main site doesn't it?
    nope
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    As an aside, my Amazon 'saved for later' basket is of such monstrous proportions I wonder if it's some sort of psychological symptom. I suspect sloth, as it's crammed full of stuff from ages ago.
This discussion has been closed.