Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Yet again the Oxford stranglehold on No.10 continues – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

What are the chances of Truss enacting economic policies that actually make the situation worse re. Inflation?

Pretty likely if she goes in head first on tax cuts, no?

Most likely would be if she gets into (or, to be more precise, fails to get us out of) a stupid fight with the EU. Tax cuts could also be a problem. In both cases the immediate mechanism would be via the exchange rate.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

My read on the Aus/NZ trade deals is less that Liz “rolled over” to get a deal, but rather that she actually believes that cheaper meat for consumers is worth damaging UK agricultural interests.

I don’t agree, but see MaxPB and surely BartyBobbins for details.

Certain UK agricultural interests, beef and lamb mostly. NZ lamb is incredible, happy to have it replace Welsh lamb if they can't keep up in price and quality, same for Aussie beef. In both cases the product is better and potentially cheaper. It's a wake up call to our agribusinesses to begin a big round of consolidation to scale up and to start investing in better technology to cut costs rather than just throw a bunch of Bulgarian labourers at it.
    The Ukraine war ought to be a wake up call to those who think we should import even more of our foodstuff from overseas. We should be looking at how to increase food security, not reduce it. UK agriculture has been heavily investing in technology for many years. You wouldn't know this because you prefer to talk out of your arse on a subject that you have no knowledge of. You are @BartholomewRoberts and I claim my £5
    Food security means increasing volumes of grain, dairy and sunflower/rapeseed output - in a very basic sense.

It also means subsidies for the above three areas because, once again, UK agribusinesses have been very, very lazy for the last 20 years and not invested properly to keep up with other countries.
    You need to show evidence for this complaint about UK agribusiness.
    There’s a general whiff that you are pulling it out of your arse.

Note too that UK farmers have much less propitious soil than most European farmers and also can’t get the scale attained by US and American competitors.

I honestly don’t know how efficient UK farmers again, but I tell you that US supermarkets are a negative revelation.
    UK produce is high quality in my opinion.
    Not at all sure about "British soil" being worse than most in Europe

Parts of the UK are amongst the most fertile anywhere, there's just a limited amount of it

“With over 2,500 soil tests now performed by Yara, when you compare UK averages with the rest of the world, the UK does have very fertile soils – a result of good climate and good farming practice.”

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/news/anglian-water-tests-reveal-uk-has-very-fertile-soil/

It's one of the reasons England was much coveted by invaders, despite the hassles of it being an island

Yet again you reveal your lack of knowledge of Britain, but that's perhaps unsurprising in someone not born in Britain, who doesn't live in Britain, who despises Britain, and who has no intention of returning to Britain
    Leon you were banned the other day for continuing your xenophobic nonsense.

Don’t be a bigot.
    And really, seek help. You are clearly grieving something.
    I'm not being rude, just stating a fact. You are remarkably ignorant of Britain, and I am wondering why and positing an answer

I will not ask you to butt out, as that seems to upset the mods

"The well drained but often thin soil formed on the chalk and
    limestone plateaux of southern and eastern England and
    the Paris Basin form some of the most extensively exploited
    cereal growing areas of Europe and, until recently, produced
    more grain than Canada"

https://esdac.jrc.ec.europa.eu/projects/Soil_Atlas/Download/20.pdf

You are selectively quoting what he said, old chap. He was responding to @MaxPB who was talking out of his arse about British farming, and suggesting that it was out of date and that British farmers are lazy. Both of which is total bollox. The main areas of cereal farming in UK are very fertile, but they still have disadvantages in terms of field size compared to, say, the US prairies and the Ukraine. It is very difficult for UK farmers to produce grain at the same cost as those areas due to input costs and disproportionate government subsidy in the US. UK farming is amongst the most technologically advanced in terms of production, crop breading and mechanisation.
    Yes, thank-you.

Leon will perhaps now pull-out the bit where I said that British soil was less propitious than European competitors, but more basically I just mean that they can grow quite a lot of produce in Europe that the UK cannot.

And when I say UK, I mean the whole country not just the Thames Valley, Kent and East Anglia.
    You mean I might actually quote you "accurately and in full". What a fiend I am

You're a dorkus of the porkus morkus. You have some deep aversion to Brexit Britain which means that you always err on the side of Britain is Worse or Britain is Shitter than the EU whenever there is some dispute, or some vagueness in your head (often)

You can see the same psycho-process at work with @Richard_Nabavi and the rest of the PB Remoaners

It is Strasbourg Syndrome and the sooner it goes away, the better

And now I must hie to Gordon's Wine Bar for drinks with a mate. Later
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538
    Leon said:

If Boris is canny (he can be) he will do two volumes

1. The political story

2. The emotional stuff (later)

Then a condensed version combining both. I can see him making £5-10m from these books alone, worldwide
    It's just dawned on me what you're doing. You're making a bid to ghost write, or co-write, Boris's account, aren't you? "The life and exciting times of the greatest Prime Minister ever", or something, with witty anecdotes, and the sex scenes, provided and exaggerated by Leon.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

My read on the Aus/NZ trade deals is less that Liz “rolled over” to get a deal, but rather that she actually believes that cheaper meat for consumers is worth damaging UK agricultural interests.

Certain UK agricultural interests, beef and lamb mostly. NZ lamb is incredible, happy to have it replace Welsh lamb if they can't keep up in price and quality, same for Aussie beef. In both cases the product is better and potentially cheaper. It's a wake up call to our agribusinesses to begin a big round of consolidation to scale up and to start investing in better technology to cut costs rather than just throw a bunch of Bulgarian labourers at it.
    The Ukraine war ought to be a wake up call to those who think we should import even more of our foodstuff from overseas. We should be looking at how to increase food security, not reduce it. UK agriculture has been heavily investing in technology for many years. You wouldn't know this because you prefer to talk out of your arse on a subject that you have no knowledge of. You are @BartholomewRoberts and I claim my £5
    Food security means increasing volumes of grain, dairy and sunflower/rapeseed output - in a very basic sense.

It also means subsidies for the above three areas because, once again, UK agribusinesses have been very, very lazy for the last 20 years and not invested properly to keep up with other countries.

Note too that UK farmers have much less propitious soil than most European farmers and also can’t get the scale attained by US and American competitors.

I honestly don’t know how efficient UK farmers again, but I tell you that US supermarkets are a negative revelation.

Parts of the UK are amongst the most fertile anywhere, there's just a limited amount of it

“With over 2,500 soil tests now performed by Yara, when you compare UK averages with the rest of the world, the UK does have very fertile soils – a result of good climate and good farming practice.”

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/news/anglian-water-tests-reveal-uk-has-very-fertile-soil/

It's one of the reasons England was much coveted by invaders, despite the hassles of it being an island

Yet again you reveal your lack of knowledge of Britain, but that's perhaps unsurprising in someone not born in Britain, who doesn't live in Britain, who despises Britain, and who has no intention of returning to Britain

Don’t be a bigot.
    What’s the point? He’ll just rejoin as somebody else anyway
    Both @Xipe and @Orka are still available to him...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

1. The political story

Then a condensed version combining both. I can see him making £5-10m from these books alone, worldwide
    May I suggest a title.

Vol 1: Wiffle
    Vol 2: Piffle
    Excellent!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Unsurprisingly Lady Nugee is all over tea-gate photo....good job there wasn't a flag as well.

What is tea gate photo?

I've been busy today so only been online since 3.55pm.
    https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/1549766440944795648

good point actually
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Jonathan said:

Driver said:

Jonathan said:

It is great to see Labour up for it. The new Tory logo is genius.

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/1549337977704402954?s=21&t=EsDatPhf6r-X3XY7Y9_yZw

Great, they can criticise the government.

Why should I vote for them?
    It’s delightful that Labour are getting their act together. Not before time.
    No answer to the question, I note.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

1. The political story

May I suggest a title.

That's good!
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Leon said:

1. The political story

No body cares. He is no longer PM. Just rejoice at that news, people. The lying, fat, incompetent slime ball is no longer our PM. Even Truss will not be such an embarrassment. I know she will try, but she cannot come close.

The Clown is (politically) dead. Long live the slightly less clownish!
  • Options
    Leon said:

You have some deep aversion to Brexit Britain which means that you always err on the side of Britain is Worse or Britain is Shitter than the EU whenever there is some dispute, or some vagueness in your head (often)

You can see the same psycho-process at work with @Richard_Nabavi and the rest of the PB Remoaners

Citation needed, please. If you are going to cast nasturtiums on me, at least get them accurate.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    eek said:

What are the chances of Truss enacting economic policies that actually make the situation worse re. Inflation?

Given the tax cut she is planning to make the impact will be on corporate investment which will be binned by companies in a desire to maximise short term profits.
    How does Truss justify slashing corporate tax rates for big business during what will be a cost of living crisis? So many fascinating questions for our new overlord
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781
    Leon said:

1. The political story

Could you believe a word of it, though? I'd be more interested in him getting the Caro treatment.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663

Leon said:

1. The political story

It's just dawned on me what you're doing. You're making a bid to ghost write, or co-write, Boris's account, aren't you? "The life and exciting times of the greatest Prime Minister ever", or something, with witty anecdotes, and the sex scenes, provided and exaggerated by Leon.
    And the exercise physiology and muscular tone provided by Bartholomew Roberts.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    It was fine. But playing up his experience won't work - Truss has more experience - and so the 'I can beat Starmer' is his only card. Expect to hear it a lot.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

UK food is extraordinarily good quality and sold very competitively.

Not many people seem to know this.

Anyone who wants to muddle with it for ideological reasons needs to show their working.

It's a shock to visit American supermarkets and see how expensive and difficult it is to get what would count as standard food in the UK.
    It depends....Walmart ripped the legs out of a lot of places, but certain parts of the US there are excellent supermarkters e.g. Publix in the south has 1200 stores and is just as good as a Waitrose without really being more expensive than most supermarkets in the US...as is obvious Whole Foods (but that is silly expensive).
  • Options
    You aren't exactly the target market, are you?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

Unsurprisingly Lady Nugee is all over tea-gate photo....good job there wasn't a flag as well.

What is tea gate photo?

1922 committee put out a photo of them having tea and Nus Ghani was the one pouring it. And of course certain parts of lefty twitter have got all funny about it the fact an ethnic minority woman was the one doing it.
    Wasn't the scandal that hit the Rutles, due to them admitting to drinking tea?
    Come to think Rishi Sunak could be Stig O'Hara
  • Options

Leon said:

1. The political story

No body cares. He is no longer PM. Just rejoice at that news, people. The lying, fat, incompetent slime ball is no longer our PM. Even Truss will not be such an embarrassment. I know she will try, but she cannot come close.

The Clown is (politically) dead. Long live the slightly less clownish!
    This is a very good point. Either of the two final candidates will be a big improvement on Boris (the lowest bar ever raised, admittedly). I shall have a decent vintage champagne ready for the moment when we're finally rid of him.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Jonathan said:

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/1549337977704402954?s=21&t=EsDatPhf6r-X3XY7Y9_yZw

To flip it the other way, why should you vote for the Tories? Whilst I agree that Labour have got to show us the goods, there should be an inbuilt "can't vote for this clown car government" bias in most of us by now. Surely.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954

Andy_JS said:

Anyone who wants to muddle with it for ideological reasons needs to show their working.

It's a shock to visit American supermarkets and see how expensive and difficult it is to get what would count as standard food in the UK.
    It depends....Walmart ripped the legs out of a lot of places, but certain parts of the US there are excellent supermarkters e.g. Publix in the south has 1200 stores and is just as good as a Waitrose without really being more expensive than most supermarkets in the US...as is obvious Whole Foods (but that is silly expensive).
    Groceries in Los Angeles - admittedly not helped by the weakness of the Pound - are very much more expensive than the UK or Europe.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

1. The political story

May I suggest a title.

Abridged Combined volume: A Wiffle Bit of Piffle.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Groceries in Los Angeles - admittedly not helped by the weakness of the Pound - are very much more expensive than the UK or Europe.
    LA is stupidly expensive for most things.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Don’t be a bigot.
    I’m not sure why he thinks it necessary to deliver personal attacks. He doesn’t try it on with other foreign-living posters, so I have to assume it is because of where I was born.
    You what? I like Kiwis. Don't be daft

And I will respect the will of the mods. If they think you are allowed to comment on Britain despite - to my mind - showing remarkable, insufferable ignorance of it - then fair enough. Knock yourself out
    Remind me what you accused me of on the eve of the 2019 General Election.
  • Options

Leon said:

1. The political story

There will be a whole chapter dedicated to masturbation, and how Boris Johnson consulted with him on how to reduce his reliance.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Driver said:

Jonathan said:

To flip it the other way, why should you vote for the Tories? Whilst I agree that Labour have got to show us the goods, there should be an inbuilt "can't vote for this clown car government" bias in most of us by now. Surely.
    That's also part of the equation, but it's not a question for a Labour supporter to answer. And in any case I don't expect the Tory GE campaign to boil down to "we aren't Labour".

That said, we are getting a new government in about 6 weeks time so we'll have a couple of years to judge the new PM by their actions.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

You have some deep aversion to Brexit Britain which means that you always err on the side of Britain is Worse or Britain is Shitter than the EU whenever there is some dispute, or some vagueness in your head (often)

Citation needed, please. If you are going to cast nasturtiums on me, at least get them accurate.
    I doubt I’ve ever seen a more slam dunk case of psychological projection than @Leon.

He comes on here, usually in his cups, to persuade himself that he didn’t do a very silly thing in 2016.

As others have pointed out, he’s often the first person to mention the “B” word in threads.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    An important consideration: is Rishi taller than Liz?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It was fine. But playing up his experience won't work - Truss has more experience - and so the 'I can beat Starmer' is his only card. Expect to hear it a lot.
    At the moment, Sunak should be talking about what he's going to do (if he beats Truss) in short order to sort out the mess that the country is in.

Instead, in the interviews I've seen, all he's saying is "I'm the only one that can beat Starmer".

Pretty poor, I reckon.
  • Options
    Anti-Vaxxers have stormed Charing Cross police station in Central London.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    It is a funny situation. I mean, I know people overinterpret things, but did not one of them think even for a second how it might look to an unkind eye?
  • Options

Per Google, Sunak 5'6"; Truss 5'3".
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Don’t be a bigot.
    I never thought of this before. @Leon is the ultimate closet rejoiner
  • Options

kle4 said:

At the moment, Sunak should be talking about what he's going to do (if he beats Truss) in short order to sort out the mess that the country is in.

Instead, in the interviews I've seen, all he's saying is "I'm the only one that can beat Starmer".

Pretty poor, I reckon.
    Yes, that's worrying. I'm more interested in the next two years than the four or five after that. Starmer isn't Corbyn.
  • Options

Leon said:

His problem is that he voted Leave expecting Remain would win, and he's angry and impotent about the shit show he's unleashed, rather than blame himself he'll blame everybody who pointed Leave would be sub-optimal the way Leave campaigned.

I think the angst is causing Leon to have Brexit related impotence.
    Actually the impotence theory would explain a lot.

Like the time he seemed to develop an erotic obsession, somewhere in the Aegean, with an elderly lady who wore a plastic bag on her head.
  • Options

Is that where the thick twats think the centre of government is? Even Trump supporters aren't that stupid
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

eek said:

Given the tax cut she is planning to make the impact will be on corporate investment which will be binned by companies in a desire to maximise short term profits.
    How does Truss justify slashing corporate tax rates for big business during what will be a cost of living crisis? So many fascinating questions for our new overlord
    She’s not proposing to cut corporation tax - she’s proposing to cancel Sunak’s rise from 19% to 25%, scheduled for next year.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If Sean writes it, the political and personal memoir will share the same title….

“Boris Johnson, how I fucked a country”
  • Options
    Driver said:

Folks, put your money on Sunak.
  • Options

“Anti-Vaxxers” are still a thing?
  • Options
    Err, Penny Mordaunt seems to think she's through to the next round:

https://twitter.com/PennyMordaunt/status/1549771956760842242
  • Options

Is that where the thick twats think the centre of government is? Even Trump supporters aren't that stupid
    I presume they got a tip off the plod were forcibly vaccinating kid or something.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    Just shown that photo to my wife. She said "it must be a spoof". I said "I don't think it is". She exploded. Possibly trivial, but ye gods - five men in suits being poured tea by a diminutive woman doesn't look very modern.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

All our yesterdays.
    Anti-vaxxers.
    Police Stations.
  • Options
    I think people are over-analysing that blah clip of Rishi.

Expect more blah.

He is the blah candidate, the honourable member for blah-on-meh.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

She’s not proposing to cut corporation tax - she’s proposing to cancel Sunak’s rise from 19% to 25%, scheduled for next year.
    In any case, businesses don't really pay corporation tax. It turns into either higher prices paid by their customers, or lower expenditure on things like staff wages.

"Tax big business" is one of those things that's much easier to say than to do.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Audience member in next hustings: "How far away are they?"
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    Just shown that photo to my wife. She said "it must be a spoof". I said "I don't think it is". She exploded. Possibly trivial, but ye gods - men in suits being poured tea by a diminutive woman doesn't look very modern.
    The 1922 committee not modern, no that’s not possible.
  • Options
    These are genuinely good suggestions for Boris's memoires, and I hope he goes for one of them.

I mean, look at this shower of boring titles

John Major: The Autobiography by John Major
    For the Record by David Cameron
    A Journey by Tony Blair
    My Life, Our Times by Gordon Brown
    Maragaret Thatcher: The Autobiography by Margaret Thatcher (In fairness the write up says this is a combo edition of The Path to Power and the Downing Street Years)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    It is a funny situation. I mean, I know people overinterpret things, but did not one of them think even for a second how it might look to an unkind eye?
    Sometimes these situations happen when nobody has a bigoted bone in their body.

I remember a few years ago I drove 4 white friends to a football match when the other four suggested it, I joked and said

'Alright, just because I'm a Paki doesn't mean I have to be a taxi driver'

They felt so bad, the reality was I don't drink, and they did, and I have a larger vehicle, so it was obvious I would be driving us to the match, I felt grateful as I had got an unused ticket from one of the guy's brother who wasn't going.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    kle4 said:

These are genuinely good suggestions for Boris's memoires, and I hope he goes for one of them.

A Journey by Tony Blair
    Maragaret Thatcher: The Autobiography by Margaret Thatcher (In fairness the write up says this is a combo edition of The Path to Power and the Downing Street Years)

The best titles were Lawson, Howe and Butler.

The first being the best because it contained a really clever pun.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,441

Campaign for Tory Leader 2024 starts now.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    kle4 said:

A Journey by Tony Blair

Boris Johnson - The Truth (At Last) :D
  • Options

Maybe for leader in 2023?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited July 2022

Perhaps she thinks Truss will beat Rishi, fall flat on her face, Labour will get a 15 to 20% poll lead and Tory MPs will then VONC Truss and elect her by coronation by next autumn in blind panic?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

I remember a few years ago I drove 4 white friends to a football match when the other four suggested it, I joked and said

They felt so bad, the reality was I don't drink, and they did, and I have a larger vehicle, so it was obvious I would be driving us to the match, I felt grateful as I had got an unused ticket from one of the guy's brother who wasn't going.
    The fact the MPs then went and voted an ethnic minority and a woman as choice to be the next PM.....as well as the overall candidates were extremely diverse...if that is what matters to people.

I doesn't matter to me, but it seems to have gone rather unremarked that we could have our first ethnic minority PM or third woman to do the job...when Obama was in the running for POTUS that is all anybody talked about.
  • Options

#TeamKemi
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    Just shown that photo to my wife. She said "it must be a spoof". I said "I don't think it is". She exploded. Possibly trivial, but ye gods - five men in suits being poured tea by a diminutive woman doesn't look very modern.
    Maybe Nus Ghani is pouring the tea because Nus Ghani wanted to pour the tea.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

A Journey by Tony Blair

Boris Johnson - a work related event.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Triumph of the short politician strikes again.

Mordaunt is prettier than Sunak and the same height apparently, so perhaps he did lend to Liz after all.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

A Journey by Tony Blair

Boris Johnson - the time I blew it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    Probably not, why would they? If you don't spend all your time engaging in divisive identity politics you tend to just see people as people.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

A Journey by Tony Blair

No, that’s Carrie’s.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

A Journey by Tony Blair

No, that’s Carrie’s.
    Emphasis on 'I'!
  • Options
    We already have a blah candidate.

He's called Keir Starmer.

The problem is that Rishi has to defend 13 years of failure. He's got the Gordon Brown problem.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    Yes maybe, no one is suggesting they forced her, but images can still look bad

Remember this one of man of the people Brown?

• Options
    Mr Blobby’s House Party.
    By Boris Johnson with Noel Edmonds.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    HYUFD said:

Perhaps she thinks Truss will beat Rishi, fall flat on her face, Labour will get a 15 to 20% poll lead and Tory MPs will then VONC Truss and elect her by coronation by next autumn in blind panic?
    I read that Rishi is trimming a bit on tax and Net Zero.

He won't have to trim that much to be in with a strong chance, surely. Its not over.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Sandpit said:

Mrs Sandpit: “I miss Boris” 🇺🇦

Let’s hope the new PM, no matter who, continues our wholehearted support for the Ukrainians.

I'm sure they will, but I'm not taking Johnson's resignation for granted. He will be looking all summer for a way to stay.

On the subject of Ukraine, Johnson has used Ukraine as much as Ukraine has benefited from Johnson's support.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

The fact the MPs then went and voted an ethnic minority and a woman as choice to be the next PM.....as well as the overall candidates were extremely diverse...if that is what matters to people.

I doesn't matter to me, but it seems to have gone rather unremarked that we could have our first ethnic minority PM or third woman to do the job...when Obama was in the running for POTUS that is all anybody talked about.
    I think the Obama thing was more important for the Americans than Sunak is for us Brits.

We've never had anything approaching segregation or Jim Crow, so to go from that in circa 40 years to a black man as POTUS is a pretty big deal.
  • Options

Mr Blobby’s House Party.
    By Boris Johnson with Noel Edmonds.

How I led my Country and my Work-Related Event to catastrophe.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    Yes, I'm sure that's true; I'll bet she volunteered before any of the chaps.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    Probably not, why would they? If you don't spend all your time engaging in divisive identity politics you tend to just see people as people.
    Oh please, people call out identity politics on here all the time, me included, but even if people do not think that way they can know that others do, that's why I specified an unkind eye. Am I to believe they're not bright enough to get that?

This is a 'they're idiots' defence, with the regular (false) assumption that anyone who does a double take at the image must be politically motivated.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

I read that Rishi is trimming a bit on tax and Net Zero.

He won't have to trim that much to be in with a strong chance, surely. Its not over.
    Both are flawed candidates.

Sunak's flaws make you wish he was not a candidate.

Truss' flaws make you hope they vote for whoever is the other candidate.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

A Journey by Tony Blair

Anything by John Major is knocked into oblivion by the unconscious masterpiece of comic writing by his brother "Major, Major". ('I defy strong men not to weep' John Wells.).

It is in the tradition of Augustus Carp, only without knowing it.

BTW by and large people who can govern can't write and vice versa. Thankfully most can do neither.

On the whole being able to govern at a high level seems to require a startling degree of lack of insight or imagination and an ego that gets in the way of being interesting.

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    Andy_JS said:

Mushy peas? Candied eels? Spotted dick? You may have a point!
  • Options
    Boris Johnson: My Part in His Downfall.
    By Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

I think the Obama thing was more important for the Americans than Sunak is for us Brits.

We've never had anything approaching segregation or Jim Crow, so to go from that in circa 40 years to a black man as POTUS is a pretty big deal.
    That's certainly true....but I have this sneaking suspicion if Rishi had more of the "correct" views for your Guardianista types they would be making a bigger deal of Sunak not being white, rather than making rather racist sounding tweets about brown people.

I personally think it is a positive of the UK that I think it will be only a tiny minority of people whose vote will be determined by thinking I am not voting Sunak because he isn't white (or if it had been Kemi) or that Truss is a woman.

It will be the more classic reasons that he is a rich posho or the modern take of that woman is a mad Brexit supporter....
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,441

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

I must admit it is good to see that the country will either have its third female leader or first ethnic minority leader in a few weeks time. Appreciate the candidates are not to everyone’s liking but I think this can be celebrated.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    I've shown that picture to my mother her take on it.

White men/people cannot make tea properly, it is inevitable that that the Pakistani heritage person offered to make the tea before anyone else did.
  • Options

By Boris Johnson.

The amazing thing is, quite contrary to what we all expected, it can't be called 'My Parts Caused My Downfall.'
  • Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

It's had a bit of focus among commentators, since it is notable, but as you say it has really not seemed to feature much among general discussion.

I'm sure it would get a lot of coverage if Sunak wins, as a significant moment, but it doesn't feel like it will feature as a selling point or a negative point.

Which is quite encouraging.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,939
    IshmaelZ said:

An interesting little anecdote about diversity. Who do you side with? The interviewee or interviewer?

https://twitter.com/PosenIzzy/status/1549736122682580992

(My own view: the question was poorly phrased. The interviewee gave a perfectly sensible answer.)

"they might not know about the holocaust".....
    Not straightforward. Consensus view seems to be: holocaust worst thing any group of people has ever done to another ever, no exceptions; triangular trade a minor blemish (if even that, judged by the standards of its time) on the record of the Greatest Force For Good And Civilization In All Of History, Do You Hear Me? If I were black I think I'd be noticing that one crime was white on white, and one not.
    Then the question should have been: "Can you think of a black mathematician?"

If that is what they wanted, then the question was ill-formed, as a pre-war Jewish woman in Germany who contributed theorems to maths (*) *is* diverse, as in she was unusual from the norm.

(*) Ones even I have heard of, even if I couldn't explain them...
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

White men/people cannot make tea properly, it is inevitable that that the Pakistani heritage person offered to make the tea before anyone else did.
    Oi! Some of us make brilliant tea.

Admittedly my grandmother was from China. I don't know if that makes a difference.

But even my other grandmother always let me pour the tea. She wouldn't yield it to anyone else, but she said I was just too good.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    I don't doubt it. I've no reason to suppose any of them are bigoted. It's just the imagery which is striking. If she were a taller woman even if would not have the same impact.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    As someone points out zoom in and you'll see that it is water coming from the pot.

The bizarre combination of thought and lack of thought that has been put into the photo is a trip.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I think people are over-analysing that blah clip of Rishi.

Expect more blah.

He is the blah candidate, the honourable member for blah-on-meh.

I'd be down for Rishi vs Keir, blah vs meh.

Ed Davey could be hmph
  • Options
    boulay said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

A Journey by Tony Blair

Atlas Shagged

He's mapped out his next chapter...
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

Ha. So you think that Nus actually made the tea, rather than just pouring it? Nah, it was made by some underling, of unknown heritage, on minimum wage in the Commons tea room. Surely your mother worked that out?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Evening all :)

The heat may have gone but its impacts on our transport infrastructure have not and for those who wave away events like yesterday, the truth is much of our national infrastructure buckled in the heat and if next time's hot spell lasts 5 days rather than two there will be very serious issues.

Rail travel today hasn't been smooth - no Thameslink services north of Blackfriars early on, in fact just a half hourly to Brighton though signs by 9am the service was starting to recover slowly. This afternoon, cattle on the track and track circuit failures basically knocked out the service south of the river.

Southern were also suffering this morning with delays and lots of train faults but slowly improving. To be fair, the Underground, apart from the "cancellations" caused by staff shortages, weren't having a bad day.

Train operators such as LNER and Avanti were claiming major damage to infrastructure from the heat and with Shapps admitting the bill to strengthen the infrastructure to protect against extreme heat events will run into the billions (don't worry, we won't be able to go anywhere but we'll still have some nice tax cuts) it would be nice to see Sunak or Truss concede there's a problem (the next extreme heat event will be in the next five years and be more severe than this) and offer some serious thought as to mitigation.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    Driver said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    Mrs Doyle is envious.

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,913

By Boris Johnson.

Unfortunately Chinua Achebe got there first with “Things fall apart”.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The heat may have gone but its impacts on our transport infrastructure have not and for those who wave away events like yesterday, the truth is much of our national infrastructure buckled in the heat and if next time's hot spell lasts 5 days rather than two there will be very serious issues.

Rail travel today hasn't been smooth - no Thameslink services north of Blackfriars early on, in fact just a half hourly to Brighton though signs by 9am the service was starting to recover slowly. This afternoon, cattle on the track and track circuit failures basically knocked out the service south of the river.

Southern were also suffering this morning with delays and lots of train faults but slowly improving. To be fair, the Underground, apart from the "cancellations" caused by staff shortages, weren't having a bad day.

Train operators such as LNER and Avanti were claiming major damage to infrastructure from the heat and with Shapps admitting the bill to strengthen the infrastructure to protect against extreme heat events will run into the billions (don't worry, we won't be able to go anywhere but we'll still have some nice tax cuts) it would be nice to see Sunak or Truss concede there's a problem (the next extreme heat event will be in the next five years and be more severe than this) and offer some serious thought as to mitigation.

I wonder whether @Sunil_Prasannan made it through.

I thought, driving into school this morning, that I was a bit foolish to still wear shorts and sandals.

Then I got inside, and found that a distinct lack of ventilation and an interior like an actual oven yesterday meant my school had not quite done with heat issues.

Nice refreshing breeze now though.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    stodge said:

Not a chance.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

An interesting little anecdote about diversity. Who do you side with? The interviewee or interviewer?

https://twitter.com/PosenIzzy/status/1549736122682580992

(My own view: the question was poorly phrased. The interviewee gave a perfectly sensible answer.)

"they might not know about the holocaust".....
    Not straightforward. Consensus view seems to be: holocaust worst thing any group of people has ever done to another ever, no exceptions; triangular trade a minor blemish (if even that, judged by the standards of its time) on the record of the Greatest Force For Good And Civilization In All Of History, Do You Hear Me? If I were black I think I'd be noticing that one crime was white on white, and one not.
    Then the question should have been: "Can you think of a black mathematician?"

If that is what they wanted, then the question was ill-formed, as a pre-war Jewish woman in Germany who contributed theorems to maths (*) *is* diverse, as in she was unusual from the norm.

(*) Ones even I have heard of, even if I couldn't explain them...
    Seems pretty obviously a case of the question being coded, and they got stuck when someone answered it as it was framed.
This discussion has been closed.