Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Yet again the Oxford stranglehold on No.10 continues – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    To those writing Truss off I would point out no female PM has ever lost a UK General Election...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Unsurprisingly Lady Nugee is all over tea-gate photo....good job there wasn't a flag as well.

What is tea gate photo?

I've been busy today so only been online since 3.55pm.
    https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/1549766440944795648

good point actually
    My word.
    Just shown that photo to my wife. She said "it must be a spoof". I said "I don't think it is". She exploded. Possibly trivial, but ye gods - five men in suits being poured tea by a diminutive woman doesn't look very modern.
    Maybe Nus Ghani is pouring the tea because Nus Ghani wanted to pour the tea.
    Yes, I'm sure that's true; I'll bet she volunteered before any of the chaps.
    I've shown that picture to my mother her take on it.

White men/people cannot make tea properly, it is inevitable that that the Pakistani heritage person offered to make the tea before anyone else did.
    Oi! Some of us make brilliant tea.

Admittedly my grandmother was from China. I don't know if that makes a difference.

But even my other grandmother always let me pour the tea. She wouldn't yield it to anyone else, but she said I was just too good.
    I don't drink tea or coffee but before the pandemic I hired a new member of staff who it turned out was a milk in firster.

It nearly incited a riot at work.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    Driver said:

An important consideration: is Rishi taller than Liz?

Per Google, Sunak 5'6"; Truss 5'3".
    Perhaps JackW remembers the Lincoln-Douglas debates in 1858 during their campaign for US Senate

Abraham Lincoln 6'4"
    Stephen Douglas 5'4"

Douglas was re-elected. By Illinois legislature; although more votes were cast statewide for Republican state reps & senators than Democrats, more of the latter were elected than the former.

Of course history has judged Honest Abe to have actually won these debates, and they certainly helped propel him into the Republican nomination for President in 1860, the year he defeated (Northern) Demcrat Douglas, the Little Giant.

BUT it was the immediate aftermath of the Lincoln-Douglas debates that gave SD a 2nd moniker: "Giant Killer".
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    So the question arises - are Oxford simply better at producing successful politicians than other universities or are they responsible for letting us down?

The person who suggested that the race was between Smarmy vs Barmy had it right.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

An interesting little anecdote about diversity. Who do you side with? The interviewee or interviewer?

https://twitter.com/PosenIzzy/status/1549736122682580992

(My own view: the question was poorly phrased. The interviewee gave a perfectly sensible answer.)

"they might not know about the holocaust".....
    I just asked my son (just turned 8, finishing year 3) if he knew what the Holocaust was. He gave a very good, basic answer, involving Nazi Germany, Jews, of Jews having to wear stars, the Franks (Ann and Otto), concentration camps and their mass murder. It was not comprehensive, and simplistic, but the answer earned him a Jaffa Cake. ;)

I asked him where he learnt it, and he said 'school'.

If the *woke agenda in schools* is leading them to learn about that sort of thing, then let's have more of the woke agenda. As I sure as heck didn't at that age.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Unsurprisingly Lady Nugee is all over tea-gate photo....good job there wasn't a flag as well.

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    Just shown that photo to my wife. She said "it must be a spoof". I said "I don't think it is". She exploded. Possibly trivial, but ye gods - five men in suits being poured tea by a diminutive woman doesn't look very modern.

White men/people cannot make tea properly, it is inevitable that that the Pakistani heritage person offered to make the tea before anyone else did.

Admittedly my grandmother was from China. I don't know if that makes a difference.

But even my other grandmother always let me pour the tea. She wouldn't yield it to anyone else, but she said I was just too good.
    I don't drink tea or coffee but before the pandemic I hired a new member of staff who it turned out was a milk in firster.

I bet they also put pineapple on their pizza.....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

Who was the mug?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

I've never even considered if I could be making my tea differently, so now I have to assume your mother is right
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

I trust they did at least not use teabags.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

That's how my staff put it to me, putting milk in first is like putting pineapple on pizza.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

To those writing Truss off I would point out no female PM has ever lost a UK General Election...

Truss too could have a coalition with the DUP?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,953

An interesting little anecdote about diversity. Who do you side with? The interviewee or interviewer?

(My own view: the question was poorly phrased. The interviewee gave a perfectly sensible answer.)

I just asked my son (just turned 8, finishing year 3) if he knew what the Holocaust was. He gave a very good, basic answer, involving Nazi Germany, Jews, of Jews having to wear stars, the Franks (Ann and Otto), concentration camps and their mass murder. It was not comprehensive, and simplistic, but the answer earned him a Jaffa Cake. ;)

If the *woke agenda in schools* is leading them to learn about that sort of thing, then let's have more of the woke agenda. As I sure as heck didn't at that age.
    I spent two weeks guiding schoolchildren around a touring Ann Frank exhibition - was more concerned by the lack of knowledge and bollocks coming from their teachers.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

I've never even considered if I could be making my tea differently, so now I have to assume your mother is right
    There are people who microwave tea, apparently those people are monsters.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

Is the tea lady also the junior member of the 1822 (sic) Committee, in terms of seniority?

In that case, perhaps it's a traditional part of that role, believe that Tory Whips have (or had) similar tradition(s).
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,946
    Sandpit said:

Anti-Vaxxers have stormed Charing Cross police station in Central London.

“Anti-Vaxxers” are still a thing?
    I've idly wondered where the 'anti-vaxx' people go next. Double-down on 5G? New World Order? Additives to cake mix?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Actually I think this is a good example of where this push for more "diverse" non-white Euro focused teaching could come into...rather than trying to crowbar in some example just because it isn't white european, here you learn about the holocaust and then you can certainly then introduce children to the fact that in other parts of the world similar genocides have occurred targeted at wiping out an ethnic group.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,687
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.
    It is a funny situation. I mean, I know people overinterpret things, but did not one of them think even for a second how it might look to an unkind eye?
    Sometimes these situations happen when nobody has a bigoted bone in their body.

I remember a few years ago I drove 4 white friends to a football match when the other four suggested it, I joked and said

'Alright, just because I'm a Paki doesn't mean I have to be a taxi driver'

They felt so bad, the reality was I don't drink, and they did, and I have a larger vehicle, so it was obvious I would be driving us to the match, I felt grateful as I had got an unused ticket from one of the guy's brother who wasn't going.
    The fact the MPs then went and voted an ethnic minority and a woman as choice to be the next PM.....as well as the overall candidates were extremely diverse...if that is what matters to people.

I doesn't matter to me, but it seems to have gone rather unremarked that we could have our first ethnic minority PM or third woman to do the job...when Obama was in the running for POTUS that is all anybody talked about.
    It's had a bit of focus among commentators, since it is notable, but as you say it has really not seemed to feature much among general discussion.

I'm sure it would get a lot of coverage if Sunak wins, as a significant moment, but it doesn't feel like it will feature as a selling point or a negative point.

Which is quite encouraging.
    It's not as if it is very exciting, is it? We are all quite used to ethnic minorities nowadays - they get everywhere, even into the royal family, though in that case they flounce out again.

I think it is far more significant that one of the candidates to become leader of the Conservative Party is an excessively wealthy posh boy, who is known for going in for tax dodging.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    I believe the vast bulk of Mordaunt support will move across to Rishi.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Not straightforward. Consensus view seems to be: holocaust worst thing any group of people has ever done to another ever, no exceptions; triangular trade a minor blemish (if even that, judged by the standards of its time) on the record of the Greatest Force For Good And Civilization In All Of History, Do You Hear Me? If I were black I think I'd be noticing that one crime was white on white, and one not.
    Then the question should have been: "Can you think of a black mathematician?"

If that is what they wanted, then the question was ill-formed, as a pre-war Jewish woman in Germany who contributed theorems to maths (*) *is* diverse, as in she was unusual from the norm.

(*) Ones even I have heard of, even if I couldn't explain them...
    Seems pretty obviously a case of the question being coded, and they got stuck when someone answered it as it was framed.
    I was on a diversity course once where I was told that having Jewish heritage didn't count. There's definitely a bit of an issue with some people who have a non-diverse view of what diversity is.

I agree with others that if, for example, Sadiq Khan was on the verge of becoming Labour leader more would be made of it than is the case with Sunak now, both in a positive way and in a negative way.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

Is the tea lady also the junior member of the 1822 (sic) Committee, in terms of seniority?

In that case, perhaps it's a traditional part of that role, believe that Tory Whips have (or had) similar tradition(s).
    She's vice chair IIRC.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    There is no tea. It is water.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Not straightforward. Consensus view seems to be: holocaust worst thing any group of people has ever done to another ever, no exceptions; triangular trade a minor blemish (if even that, judged by the standards of its time) on the record of the Greatest Force For Good And Civilization In All Of History, Do You Hear Me? If I were black I think I'd be noticing that one crime was white on white, and one not.

If that is what they wanted, then the question was ill-formed, as a pre-war Jewish woman in Germany who contributed theorems to maths (*) *is* diverse, as in she was unusual from the norm.

Seems pretty obviously a case of the question being coded, and they got stuck when someone answered it as it was framed.
    I was on a diversity course once where I was told that having Jewish heritage didn't count. There's definitely a bit of an issue with some people who have a non-diverse view of what diversity is.

I agree with others that if, for example, Sadiq Khan was on the verge of becoming Labour leader more would be made of it than is the case with Sunak now, both in a positive way and in a negative way.
    Wrong type of diversity obvs. There was a huge deal made of it when Khan became London Mayor.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

Technique I've just come across which is quite satisfying - put the milk in the actual teapot.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

Who was the mug?
    I move the nomination of YDOETHUR, based on his obvious merit, as PB Punster Laureate.

Or maybe Punster Lariat?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

I was learning about the Holocaust in school 25 years ago and I'm sure we weren't the first.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,480

So the question arises - are Oxford simply better at producing successful politicians than other universities or are they responsible for letting us down?

The person who suggested that the race was between Smarmy vs Barmy had it right.

Up there with David Frost on the 1964 General Election:

Dull Alec vs Smart Alec.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

If it were me I'd have decoded it and given the right answer, if I wanted the job

it's not straightforward. Her dad was a maths professor, at a time when one third if all German maths professors were jewish. so she was in a hugely privileged, not disadvantaged, position as a schoolchild (the post being applied for, is teacher training) so not that relevant to children who are disadvantaged by being diverse, at that age.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

Technique I've just come across which is
    quite satisfying - put the milk in the actual teapot.
    You are literally worse than Hitler.

• Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I've been told on a few occasions that I'm not an ethnic minority because of my middle class upbringing/schooling means I've never experienced racism or bigotry.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

I was learning about the Holocaust in school 25 years ago and I'm sure we weren't the first.
    And the slave trade as a comparable evil?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Boris Johnson: My Part in His Downfall.
    By Boris Johnson.

Oi, you could have at least quoted me!

How about Boris Johnson, My cock and other animals. ?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

Technique I've just come across which is quite satisfying - put the milk in the actual teapot.
    I've shared that with my mother and she's call you a 'Khoti rhan' which translates as stupid wife.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,393
    I rather fancy that if the EU had negotiated exactly the same deals with Australia and New Zealand that the same posters on here sledging them would now be applauding them for their far-sightedness.

We had Commonwealth preference for both New Zealand and Australian produce up until 1980.

British farming did fine.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    Can’t get into Gordon’s Wine Bar

Actual QUEUES down the road. For a bar that’s been there maybe 600 years

Now in soho. Completely jammers

Yes. LONDON IS BACK
  • Options
    dodrade said:

And no female PM as ever NOT been kicked out of No. 10 by her own MPs.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,229
    Pensfold said:

GIN1138 said:

FPT

Cyclefree said:

Is it too soon to say "I told you so"?

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/09/20/one-current-leader-and-one-future-one/

Probably. But never mind.

I really don't get why Truss is so hated. Nor why Sunak is.

One is slick and thinks more of himself than is justified. The other is weird but canny. Are they notably worse than other party leaders? Why the hatred? Strong disagreement with policies I understand. But to listen to some it's as if we were facing a choice between Mussolini and Franco.

Rish is a multi-millionaire tax dodger. Liz is a woman that think's dressing up like Margaret Thatcher in 1980 is a good idea.

Not Musolini and Franco... but not great!

Out of the two I would vote for Rishi if I had a vote because at least he's rational which is always a good starting point.
    Excellent. So Rishi is a rational multi-millionaire tax dodger.

I'm enjoying those not normally sympathetic to Labour feeding us ideas for lines to take.
    Rishi earned his wealth and protected what he earned as best he could given the various tax rules in the countries where he worked. That makes him wise and prudent which is what we want in a Chancellor and a Prime Minister.
    I'd want a Chancellor who could convince his wife to pay tax personally.
  • Options

Actually I think this is a good example of where this push for more "diverse" non-white Euro focused teaching could come into...rather than trying to crowbar in some example just because it isn't white european, here you learn about the holocaust and then you can certainly then introduce children to the fact that in other parts of the world similar genocides have occurred targeted at wiping out an ethnic group.
    Good point.

The Holocaust was just one example where a people were targeted for extermination (made more complex by the fact the Nazis also went after the disabled, Romanies, Communists and anyone who looked at the in a funny way). But if you learn about one, it is easy to expand your thinking to other examples. And the Holocaust is very easy to relate to, thanks to the reams of documentary evidence, pictures and films we have of the event and the people who died.

Compare to, say, the Armenian Genocide, just three decades earlier, which is sadly much more nebulous.

The phrase "warning from history" is very apt. We could easily see it again; and perhaps did in parts of the ex-Yugoslavia in the 1990s, or Ukraine today.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I've been told on a few occasions that I'm not an ethnic minority because of my middle class upbringing/schooling means I've never experienced racism or bigotry.
    Not even a slightly-bigoted parking meter?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited July 2022

I rather fancy that if the EU had negotiated exactly the same deals with Australia and New Zealand that the same posters on here sledging them would now be applauding them for their far-sightedness.

We had Commonwealth preference for both New Zealand and Australian produce up until 1980.

I don’t think it did, actually.
    But others, perhaps @Nigel_Foremain will have more detail.

Edit: as to your substantive point, you don’t seem to have read the comments.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

What? That can't possibly work. You'd cool the water down and it wouldn't brew the tea properly. Some people don't even have milk with their tea. My Irish in-laws add a lot of milk to their tea. A lot. But that wouldn't make any sense to them at all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

dodrade said:

And no female PM as ever NOT been kicked out of No. 10 by her own MPs.
    May was effectively in 2019
  • Options
    Who is Britain's greatest living prime minister?

YouGov approval ratings

John Major -5
    Gordon Brown -8
    Theresa May -15
    Boris Johnson -24
    Tony Blair -34
    David Cameron -37

Something doesn't appear to be right. And do those who appear most admired for their 'political' skills end up being least well liked?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

If it were me I'd have decoded it and given the right answer, if I wanted the job

it's not straightforward. Her dad was a maths professor, at a time when one third if all German maths professors were jewish. so she was in a hugely privileged, not disadvantaged, position as a schoolchild (the post being applied for, is teacher training) so not that relevant to children who are disadvantaged by being diverse, at that age.
    Point remains if you want it to be about somewhat disadvantaged by being diverse, ask that. You shouldn't have to guess what they mean, since some employers really will not want you answering what you think the question is rather than what it actually is.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

I was my son's age in 1981, and I had no idea. And that school was fairly multicultural for the time. If it has changed, then all the better.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,227

dodrade said:

Tessie May gave it the good old British try though....
    Not a meaningful data set though: 75 men and 2 women.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes. LONDON IS BACK

Never been keen on Gordon's. Tend to feel a bit trapped when I'm there.
  • Options

Good point.

The Holocaust was just one example where a people were targeted for extermination (made more complex by the fact the Nazis also went after the disabled, Romanies, Communists and anyone who looked at the in a funny way). But if you learn about one, it is easy to expand your thinking to other examples. And the Holocaust is very easy to relate to, thanks to the reams of documentary evidence, pictures and films we have of the event and the people who died.

Compare to, say, the Armenian Genocide, just three decades earlier, which is sadly much more nebulous.

The phrase "warning from history" is very apt. We could easily see it again; and perhaps did in parts of the ex-Yugoslavia in the 1990s, or Ukraine today.
    Yes, but it is odd that the paradigm, shock horror case has white victims, the closer to home white on black case is glossed over. And it's documented to fuck and there's all sorts of examples of its spoils you can see on a school trip without needing a passport.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

dodrade said:

Tessie May gave it the good old British try though....
    Not a meaningful data set though: 75 men and 2 women.
    So are you going to let us in on this Finnish scuttlebutt?
  • Options

Boris Johnson: My Part in His Downfall.
    By Boris Johnson.

Oi, you could have at least quoted me!

How about Boris Johnson, My cock and other animals. ?
    Sorry, I knew someone would have got there before me!
  • Options
    And.....DALLE has become a business. Credits system. Most interesting bit, full commercial rights to the images you make.

https://twitter.com/MichaelFriese10/status/1549793506800963584?s=20&t=xEeJvoOrL5DOY5-xEclJTQ
  • Options
    "Spaffing it up the wall - how I was herded from Downing Street"
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Yes. LONDON IS BACK

Very sweaty walls.
    The terrace is good though.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

I've shared that with my mother and she's call you a 'Khoti rhan' which translates as stupid wife.
    Oh. Can't see any way that would be a compliment. I'll have a rethink.
  • Options
    ThePoliticalPartyThePoliticalParty Posts: 446
    edited July 2022
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Yes. LONDON IS BACK

Cracking bit of cheese though, Gromit
  • Options

And.....DALLE has become a business. Credits system. Most interesting bit, full commercial rights to the images you make.

https://twitter.com/MichaelFriese10/status/1549793506800963584?s=20&t=xEeJvoOrL5DOY5-xEclJTQ

Prediction: both current artists will make megabucks out of Dalles created from thier seedwords, and a new generation of artists will spring into being whose only trick this is.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

Are they comparable? They had very different roots and were in a very different form, despite having much commonality. Both were evil, but they were different. As just one example: if the profit motive had been removed from the slave trade, it would have stopped. The Holocaust was directly and indirectly an expense to the Germans - it would have happened even if they had to pay millions to do so. That's not to excuse the slave trade, but to point out the motivations for the evil were very different. That in itself is an important lesson.

As it happens, the little 'un appears to know a small amount about slavery as well - both from school and Horrible Histories...

But that's the point. If you know this sort of thing *can* happen, then it's an easier step to learning it may have happened in other forms, or similar things may have happened, or happen again. That's an important lesson.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

It's not, whenever I do something stupid it is what she calls me.
  • Options
    boulay said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

Well at least try it. You might be surprised.
  • Options

If that is true then Truss will have big problems from the start.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Prediction: both current artists will make megabucks out of Dalles created from thier seedwords, and a new generation of artists will spring into being whose only trick this is.
    Already happening. There are people who have already built a decent following by using DALLE and other text-to-image generators to create interesting art. Next thing we are already seeing is animated clips where the AI is being prompted to create animated scenes.

There are already "prompt" books for different AIs.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Yes. LONDON IS BACK

It’s lovely on a fine evening if you get a table outside. Great for people watching

Soho and Covent Garden are chocka. As busy as any weekday night pre covid. Foreign tourists must be back
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

She's vice chair IIRC.
    Collaborating with the Patriarchy basically.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

YouGov approval ratings

John Major -5
    Gordon Brown -8
    Theresa May -15
    Boris Johnson -24
    Tony Blair -34
    David Cameron -37

Something doesn't appear to be right. And do those who appear most admired for their 'political' skills end up being least well liked?

It it perhaps those that lost popularity with their "own side" that are at the bottom?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,393

I've read all the comments. I think it's a lot of piss and wind.

People say Australian and New Zealand produce might undercut British produce, but then say it might also be largely frozen and processed and British food is better anyway so buy local.

GVA and GDP will increase with both and British farming will be absolutely fine just as it was when it was exposed to the far larger and more proximate EU market of over 400 million people.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

Are they comparable? They had very different roots and were in a very different form, despite having much commonality. Both were evil, but they were different. As just one example: if the profit motive had been removed from the slave trade, it would have stopped. The Holocaust was directly and indirectly an expense to the Germans - it would have happened even if they had to pay millions to do so. That's not to excuse the slave trade, but to point out the motivations for the evil were very different. That in itself is an important lesson.

As it happens, the little 'un appears to know a small amount about slavery as well - both from school and Horrible Histories...

But that's the point. If you know this sort of thing *can* happen, then it's an easier step to learning it may have happened in other forms, or similar things may have happened, or happen again. That's an important lesson.
    They were certainly comparable from the perspective of the victims, I am guessing. I don't think there is any determining the relative evil as far as motive is concerned. I am not sure the holocaust was a net cost to germany, taking into account expropriations and slave labour. might have been though.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

I don't think we want anyone to try and be worse than Hitler.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

They were certainly comparable from the perspective of the victims, I am guessing. I don't think there is any determining the relative evil as far as motive is concerned. I am not sure the holocaust was a net cost to germany, taking into account expropriations and slave labour. might have been though.
    You are rather assuming the benefits from the expropriations accrued to Germany and not senior Nazis.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Good point.

Yes, but it is odd that the paradigm, shock horror case has white victims, the closer to home white on black case is glossed over. And it's documented to fuck and there's all sorts of examples of its spoils you can see on a school trip without needing a passport.
    Spoils, but not stories.

IMV the most horrific yet simple picture of the slave trade is the following:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/FOOT(1854)_p038_A_SLAVE_SHIP.jpg

I can't see how anyone can look at that and not feel horror.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463

YouGov approval ratings

John Major -5
    Gordon Brown -8
    Theresa May -15
    Boris Johnson -24
    Tony Blair -34
    David Cameron -37

Poor John Major. He was nowhere near as bad as many that have since followed him but he has very much gone down as a complete dud in the popular imagination. History will be kinder.
  • Options

I've read all the comments. I think it's a lot of piss and wind.

People say Australian and New Zealand produce might undercut British produce, but then say it might also be largely frozen and processed and British food is better anyway so buy local.

GVA and GDP will increase with both and British farming will be absolutely fine just as it was when it was exposed to the far larger and more proximate EU market of over 400 million people.
    I believe the modelling showed a dent to British farming. There was an argument in Cabinet between Truss and others (like Eustice).

Just saying it’s all piss and wind is just glib.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

You are rather assuming the benefits from the expropriations accrued to Germany and not senior Nazis.
    The benefits from the slave trade accrued to senior toffs.
  • Options

Something of a massive red herring if you ask me. Farming and food production and food retailing are a completely different world to the 1960s. The average brexiteer seems to think "fuck farming" in the same way as the fat little liar said "fuck business". The reality is that any business, whether traditional like farming, or high tech like healthcare, does not normally prosper when policy decisions are made for irrational non-business reasons. The "deal" done by Truss et al with Australia seemed to me to be rushed, and more motivated by feel good factors for Brexiteers who still want to believe the fairytales they were told. Farmers will have to adapt and no doubt a lot of fairly marginal farmers will probably go bankrupt, with associated suicides and also degradation of communities and ecosystems that depend on the traditional way of life in some areas.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Maybe Boris could spin a riff on his "hasta la vista" Terminator sign-off from PMQ's and entitle his memoirs "No fate but what we make for ourselves".
  • Options

YouGov approval ratings

John Major -5
    Gordon Brown -8
    Theresa May -15
    Boris Johnson -24
    Tony Blair -34
    David Cameron -37

Poor John Major. He was nowhere near as bad as many that have since followed him but he has very much gone down as a complete dud in the popular imagination. History will be kinder.
    He was actually PM for AGES.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

It's not, whenever I do something stupid it is what she calls me.
    Always saying it then, I guess.
  • Options
    I can see this

Sunak is low energy British Macron: stabbed too late, let himself be defined by others, didn’t directly engage the press enough doesn’t do enough soapbox. If he’d been able to dial it all up a few notches he’d be prime minister.

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1549808594111045634?cxt=HHwWhICxnZCtg4IrAAAA
  • Options
    If Parliamentary committees do not want to be ignored by Ministers then they need to censure Ministers who ignore them.

"Kwasi Kwarteng becomes third cabinet minister to duck appearance before parliamentary committee."

Link
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What is tea gate photo?

good point actually
    My word.

I will be surprised that, like you, I have become worse than Hitler.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,678
    Leon said:

Yes. LONDON IS BACK

And packed with American tourists, if my trip there last week is anything to go by.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I can see this

Sunak is low energy British Macron: stabbed too late, let himself be defined by others, didn’t directly engage the press enough doesn’t do enough soapbox. If he’d been able to dial it all up a few notches he’d be prime minister.

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1549808594111045634?cxt=HHwWhICxnZCtg4IrAAAA

And even Macron has just lost his parliamentary majority
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    The Minister-President of Saxony says that the "conflict" in Ukraine should be frozen with Germany acting as an intermediary, even if it would be "bitter for Ukraine".

https://twitter.com/derspiegel/status/1549810143570776064
  • Options

YouGov approval ratings

John Major -5
    Gordon Brown -8
    Theresa May -15
    Boris Johnson -24
    Tony Blair -34
    David Cameron -37

So non Oxford John Major the greatest living PM alive, rather a reversal from 1997
  • Options

If that is true then Truss will have big problems from the start.
    Here's hoping.....

• Options
    Government getting something...right?

This looks to be an impressive government response to counter abuse of the UK legal system by the super-rich: The reforms will introduce "a new statutory early dismissal process to stop these [SLAPP]cases – allowing judges to throw out claims that lack merit."

https://twitter.com/CatherineBelton/status/1549718165915058176
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

I considered slave labour and expropriations when I made my comment. But look at the Jewish talent that left Germany before the war, from Einstein to Perls. Or the fact that many of the Jews who ended up in the camps could have been working, or fighting, for the Reich in much more productive ways. Expropriations in particular are a one-time thing.

Would Germany have won the war if Hitler had not made Jews the enemy (*)? Probably not. But their talent and manpower would have been a great help to them. But he needed a minority to make the enemy, and Jews have sadly always been a good target for that.

(*) Leaving aside the blacks, the disabled, communists, and people who looked at him in a funny way.
  • Options

The Minister-President of Saxony says that the "conflict" in Ukraine should be frozen with Germany acting as an intermediary, even if it would be "bitter for Ukraine".

Let Germany give the East back to Russian control then.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

YouGov approval ratings

John Major -5
    Gordon Brown -8
    Theresa May -15
    Boris Johnson -24
    Tony Blair -34
    David Cameron -37

So non Oxford John Major the greatest living PM alive, rather a reversal from 1997
    He is the only one I have actually met. Genuinely nice guy, and contrary to popular mythology, extremely charismatic.
  • Options

YouGov approval ratings

John Major -5
    Gordon Brown -8
    Theresa May -15
    Boris Johnson -24
    Tony Blair -34
    David Cameron -37

More evidence you can't trust the publics opinion on things....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Some of the responses from lefty Twitter in the last couple of weeks, to the diversity of the Tory leadership candidates, have been utterly horrific.

They go on all day about racism and sexism, yet appear to have a massive blind spot to the racism and sexism emanating from their own tribe.

Too many Tweets, might make a tw@
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Some of the responses from lefty Twitter in the last couple of weeks, to the diversity of the Tory leadership candidates, have been utterly horrific.

They go on all day about racism and sexism, yet appear to have a massive blind spot to the racism and sexism emanating from their own tribe.

Kemi Badenoch is apparently the face of white supremacy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

YouGov approval ratings

John Major -5
    Gordon Brown -8
    Theresa May -15
    Boris Johnson -24
    Tony Blair -34
    David Cameron -37

I think Major's biggest problem in 1997 was that he seemed like a victim of his backbenchers and unable to maintain discipline among his ministers, more than that people were sick of him personally.

Tony Blair always seemed to have more control of his backbenches, but then it was an issue of what he chose to do with that power.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Kemi Badenoch is apparently the face of white supremacy.
    Uncle Tom and House Negro are pretty common assessments.
  • Options

Do you have an alert system for twitter quotes that will make Europhobes/xenophobes/Francophobes/Germanophobes spit out their tea? I mean, where do you come across this type of "news"? Do you have a friend who works for the Daily Express?
  • Options

Delusional from Germany. They're not in a place to make that happen when Poland, UK, US and others are determined on a different course.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

dodrade said:

The benefits from the slave trade accrued to senior toffs.
    Not all of them. The slave trade also underpinned the growth of many key industries - obviously banking, sugar and tobacco, but also weapons manufacture, glassware, textiles and metalwork, which were used as barter for slaves on the African coast. Which certainly did benefit ordinary people.

The same wasn't true of the Holocaust. The camps and the materials used in them were, for example, made using slave labour. So it was almost a circular process. Sure, Germans bought the property of the expropriated (later, of the murdered) Jews but often at inflated prices and with the money being squirrelled away by Nazi leaders - Himmler in particular became obscenely rich.
  • Options
    StarryStarry Posts: 105

The moderate candidates have literally double the votes of the self-identifying right-wing candidate. That said, Sunak would be easier for Labour to bring down - broke the law, economic disaster. So it would appear Truss is better placed, as all they have is 'promoted beyond their station'. Trouble is, that's so true, it'll be difficult to disguise.
  • Options

YouGov approval ratings

John Major -5
    Gordon Brown -8
    Theresa May -15
    Boris Johnson -24
    Tony Blair -34
    David Cameron -37

Poor David Cameron - delivering Brexit viewed worse than war criminal Tony Blair.....
This discussion has been closed.