Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Rishi and Liz looking stronger on the betting markets – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• algarkirk said:

I increasingly think it will be Truss vs Sunak

Sadly, I think you are right.
    Are you well tubbs?

They’re both dream candidates for Labour
    I have voted Tory in GEs for decades. With Boris around and Jezza gone I would vote Labour. Nothing I have heard so far would clearly shift me from Labour in its present fairly centrist mode.

Of the five candidates:
    Rishi: Tainted by association, and didn't resign in time. No.
    Truss: Just No.
    Mordaunt: Gives no reason to shift from a centrist Labour vote. No.
    Hat: Would pay attention, but with a bias against; but he can't win.
    Kemi: I would consider the options from the beginning. Everything in politics would change.

@algarkirk follow up:

You are one of the "centrist pointers" I look at on this site. I am too leftie (although centre left) to be a good representer so I look to you and a couple of others for the answers.

If you're representative, the Tories are in trouble.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Heat wave report...

It was 23degC in our bedroom last night, and the same when we got up this morning. Currently 26.4degC where I'm sitting in the corner of the living room, while the Met Office site reckons 26degC shade temperature outside at the moment with a max of 34degC this afternoon and 38degC tomorrow.

Fan doing its job nicely.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Hope everyone enjoys the really glorious weather today. Its great, make the most of it, and remember to stay hydrated (with water).

I'm even drinking a glass of water between my cups of coffee today.

But whatever you're doing, hope you enjoy it. We don't get weather this glorious often enough so make the most of it, and stay hydrated.

Don't worry we'll be getting plenty more of this "glorious" weather.
    I'll let you know how I get on cycling home for 10km in 40 degree heat, I expect that glorious may not be my preferred choice of adjective.
    I hope we do indeed get more of this good weather. 👍

As someone who grew up downunder, so is used to 40C weather, I find the perpetually Moaning Myrtles who are complaining about people going to the beach in this weather, or even suggesting the beaches should be closed, absolutely hilarious.

Yeah, I'm sure Bondi Beach would be utterly deserted every time the weather is this glorious (!) 🤦‍♂️

People have to pay hundreds or thousands of pounds to travel to enjoy weather this good normally. If you do go out just bring with you plenty of sunscreen and water in a cooler, and enjoy it! Make the most of it.
    Average annual max for Bondi Beach is only 27C and it's not like Australians don't whinge like bitches when it hits 40, the very last news thing to happen before covid was a lot of dreary whining from down there about ooh dear me we have set our entire country on fire. Fannies.
    Yes, you fool, the max is cooler at Bondi, because beaches have cooler temperatures than city centres. That's part of the point.

Sydney gets 40C temperatures every year normally, but Bondi does not, just as UK beaches today will not either even if some city centres do.

The temperature at UK beaches today ought to be much lower than it is in city centres like London, just as the temperature at Bondi will be cooler than the temperature in Sydney. 🤦‍♂️
    Average high BB 27
    average high Sydney 26
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227

Talking of The Spectator, I recently discovered an even more right wing competitor: The Critic. Absolutely barking mad.

Those who thought the Mussolini trick couldn’t be pulled again ought to have a good look at these propaganda sheets, because fascism is clearly their driving motor.

Check out their "On Drink" column. Written by proven expert.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    edited July 2022
    I sat beside a Finnish medic at a scientific conference in Denmark some years ago. Although most delegates were Scandinavian, all the lectures were in English. She nudged me at one point. "You're English," she said. "Was the speaker's last sentence not poor grammar?"

I had to admit I'd no idea. Afterwards we spoke on that subject for a few moments. She joked about native English speakers being poor linguists. As a Finn, she claimed no non-Finns every lrearned the language, but she had a liking for learning foreign languages. I asked her how many she knew.

"Seventeen," she said."But only eight fluently." She, of course, spoke better English than I did.
    edited July 2022

https://twitter.com/kevinaschofield/status/1548959427931381761

Strong Theresa May vibes.

The Tories are on their way to opposition.

Why was Ch4 in particular a mistake?

Deleted
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    The loudest whingers during this heatwave by far seem to be those moaning about weather warnings and how much hotter it was in 1976, back in the good old days when we used Fahrenheit.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Entries accepted until 11am. Have I missed anyone?

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2022
    IanB2 said:

On LBC James O'B is on holiday so today's stand-in presenter is.... doof! doof! ...Angela Rayner!

More second jobs for Labour MPs on LBC......I remember when they were totally against such a thing.

moonshine said:
    So Penny gets to debate with herself.
    I can see it suits Truss to pull out, but why is Sunak doing so?
    Rattled by the attack on covid loan fraud, and thinks he is ahead
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited July 2022

Just got back from a few days in the Italian lakes. It was very hot but very agreeable. Nice to get back to the cool of England, though.

Anything much happened whilst I've been away?

Not much. The soaring heights of political rhetoric in the leadership debates; England won some cricket but lost some other cricket; PB has interesting new posters.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,571
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I still think it will be Sunak v Mordaunt in the last 2, helped by tactical voting from Sunak to knock out Truss

What makes you so convinced that Sunak would prefer to face Mordaunt rather than Truss? Earlier YouGov polling of Tory members on 12/13 July showed that he was way behind (28% to 67%) in a head to head against Mordaunt, but less so against Truss (35% to 59%).
    He still trails Truss but narrowly leads Mordaunt

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/17/the-complete-run-offs-from-our-next-tory-leader-survey-badenoch-first-truss-second-sunak-third-mordaunt-fourth-tugendhat-fifth/
    Its almost as if polls change, who could foresee that?

You were adamant that the "traitor" Sunak had no chance due to prior polls only about a week ago, remember?
    He still doesn't against Truss on that survey and is trounced by Badenoch 60% to 34%.

The main reason he leads Mordaunt by 2% is Mordaunt is now seen as too woke and pro trans after heavy media attacks and attacks from rival campaigns. Facing Mordaunt in the last 2 is therefore his best chance of winning the membership vote
    You are choosing to disregard the YouGov poll despite the fact that they go to some trouble to ensure that it's a representative sample of Conservative party members, and have a pretty good record when it comes to polling for party leadership contests. The Conservative Home survey you favour is basically a survey biased towards the sort of people who read that website and choose to respond to their surveys, and is not subject to any sample controls as far as I can see.

At the very least you should moderate your views, rather than state them with such absolute certainty, as is your unfortunate habit more generally.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    Farooq said:

Weather predictions please. Which place will get the highest temperature today?

I'm going to guess Baginton (just south of Coventry)

Heathrow 38.4C is my guess

Could also happen at Northolt, Kew Gardens.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

HYUFD said:

I think it will be Sunak v Truss. Penny is going one way and that's down.

Not if Sunak lends MPs to Mordaunt to knock out Truss
    How does he know PM will be more beatable than LT in the membership?
    The fact he trails Truss by 7% but leads Mordaunt by 2% in the new Conhome survey.

Though Badenoch would be his worst option, she beats him by over 20%

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/17/the-complete-run-offs-from-our-next-tory-leader-survey-badenoch-first-truss-second-sunak-third-mordaunt-fourth-tugendhat-fifth/
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    edited July 2022
    A delightful 23 degrees here in the Lakes.

Insert "smug" emoji here.

On La Mordaunt, this Spectator article is interesting - https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-penny-mordaunt-s-hidden-equalities-agenda

This passage from her speech is curious.

"We have a lot to get done so what I think we need to demonstrate is our hunger to get those things done. And we are facing some really difficult times. In the Equalities Office I’ve got a growing list of legislation, some of which I can’t even be seen to be helping with."

It raises a number of questions. She was the Minister responsible and could push legislation forward and speak up for it. Indeed if it is legislation being promoted by her department she would be expected to push it forward in Parliament and speak for it elsewhere. So why did she say she couldn't "even be seen to be helping with". That does not make sense to me.

And what was this "growing list of legislation"? And who is the "we" she is referring to?
    Farooq said:

Put me down for Headingley
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    edited July 2022
    This map is a nifty way to watch the spread of the heat:

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/

Wait for it to load up, then zoom in
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,115
    Farooq said:

Can I enter Peterborough 39.4 degC? (But only if not paying - can't see any terms.)
    Choosing Heathrow is basically cheating :lol:

• RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Farooq said:

I think it'll be somewhere around Huntingdon personally.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2022
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Central LAAAAAAAAndan the hottest at the moment. 34 C by 10:15 !

Nonsense on stilts.

The quality of Wunderground sites is very variable.

Even a vented screen made of painted metal over-reads by a degree or so in full sun. Unless you are using a proper Stevenson screen you need active ventilation (a fan) or correction using wind and solar input.

Plastic or no screen on a sunny wall in the garden and you could easily be 5-10C too high.

Official Met Office Stations aren't all live and data may only be uploaded once per day but a selection is here:
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/#?map=Temperature&zoom=6&lon=-4.00&lat=52.52

I'm reading 25.8C in the garden (too shaded) and 28.3C out in the Flatlands (not enough shielding, probably +1C)
    Sandpit said:

43ºC here at 13:30, which is probably as high as it’s going to go. I’m still confident I’ll have the PB temperature record of the day. :D

You mean the lowest indoor temperature, thanks to your aircon?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2022

My proposal for PB Word Of The Day

quantophrenia - (noun, uncountable)

1 - Excessive reliance on or use of facts and figures that can be derived using statistical or mathematical procedures.
    2 - The inappropriate application of such processes, especially in anthropology and sociology.

quantophrenic is the adjective, and the noun for one who suffers from it

Sociology including psephology.

Qualitative research seems to have gone out of fashion since Tony’s infamous focus groups.

Too dear, or just unreported these days?
    Having a research department should surely be a necessity. Being led by focus groups (used properly) didn't do Blair's Labour Party any harm as you say. They seldom seemed out of touch or unlike this lot who often seem to be from a different planet
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Farooq said:

Okay then, I’m at 25.07N, 55.24W. :D
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,154
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hope everyone enjoys the really glorious weather today. Its great, make the most of it, and remember to stay hydrated (with water).

I'm even drinking a glass of water between my cups of coffee today.

But whatever you're doing, hope you enjoy it. We don't get weather this glorious often enough so make the most of it, and stay hydrated.

Don't worry we'll be getting plenty more of this "glorious" weather.
    I'll let you know how I get on cycling home for 10km in 40 degree heat, I expect that glorious may not be my preferred choice of adjective.
    I hope we do indeed get more of this good weather. 👍

As someone who grew up downunder, so is used to 40C weather, I find the perpetually Moaning Myrtles who are complaining about people going to the beach in this weather, or even suggesting the beaches should be closed, absolutely hilarious.

Yeah, I'm sure Bondi Beach would be utterly deserted every time the weather is this glorious (!) 🤦‍♂️

People have to pay hundreds or thousands of pounds to travel to enjoy weather this good normally. If you do go out just bring with you plenty of sunscreen and water in a cooler, and enjoy it! Make the most of it.
    Average annual max for Bondi Beach is only 27C and it's not like Australians don't whinge like bitches when it hits 40, the very last news thing to happen before covid was a lot of dreary whining from down there about ooh dear me we have set our entire country on fire. Fannies.
    Yes, you fool, the max is cooler at Bondi, because beaches have cooler temperatures than city centres. That's part of the point.

Sydney gets 40C temperatures every year normally, but Bondi does not, just as UK beaches today will not either even if some city centres do.

The temperature at UK beaches today ought to be much lower than it is in city centres like London, just as the temperature at Bondi will be cooler than the temperature in Sydney. 🤦‍♂️
    Average high BB 27
    average high Sydney 26
    Averages, at peak temperatures the beach is cooler, as the water provides a moderating influence. People go to the beach to enjoy it and cool down with the water.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/gallery/2020/nov/29/sydney-gripped-by-scorching-40c-heatwave-in-pictures

Anyway, any time its 40C+ the beach is packed, the only issue in recent years has been people complaining about it being busy when due to Covid they were worried about social distancing.

The idea of Bondi being closed when the weather is hot would be considered rightly insane.
  • novanova Posts: 525
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I still think it will be Sunak v Mordaunt in the last 2, helped by tactical voting from Sunak to knock out Truss

What makes you so convinced that Sunak would prefer to face Mordaunt rather than Truss? Earlier YouGov polling of Tory members on 12/13 July showed that he was way behind (28% to 67%) in a head to head against Mordaunt, but less so against Truss (35% to 59%).
    He still trails Truss but narrowly leads Mordaunt

Its almost as if polls change, who could foresee that?

You were adamant that the "traitor" Sunak had no chance due to prior polls only about a week ago, remember?
    He still doesn't against Truss on that survey and is trounced by Badenoch 60% to 34%.

The main reason he leads Mordaunt by 2% is Mordaunt is now seen as too woke and pro trans after heavy media attacks and attacks from rival campaigns. Facing Mordaunt in the last 2 is therefore his best chance of winning the membership vote
    ConHome's panel seem to want the person they've vaguely heard of, but don't know as much about.

That was Mourdant, followed by Badenoch last week, but now Badenoch trounces everyone is they know more about Mourdant.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 583

moonshine said:
    Isnt that a mass debate?
    edited July 2022
    Bozo spouting random words as per usual on the BBC News right now...

Edit: They've cut away as it is total gibberish.

Sandpit said:

43ºC here at 13:30, which is probably as high as it’s going to go. I’m still confident I’ll have the PB temperature record of the day. :D

You should all get air conditioned houses, they’re great!

43ºC outside, 23ºC inside!
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Cyclefree said:

On La Mordaunt, this Spectator article is interesting - https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/revealed-penny-mordaunt-s-hidden-equalities-agenda

"We have a lot to get done so what I think we need to demonstrate is our hunger to get those things done. And we are facing some really difficult times. In the Equalities Office I’ve got a growing list of legislation, some of which I can’t even be seen to be helping with."

It raises a number of questions. She was the Minister responsible and could push legislation forward and speak up for it. Indeed if it is legislation being promoted by her department she would be expected to push it forward in Parliament and speak for it elsewhere. So why did she say she couldn't "even be seen to be helping with". That does not make sense to me.

And what was this "growing list of legislation"? And who is the "we" she is referring to?

Also interesting is this from Rachel Reeves, who is the best performer on the Labour front bench.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-labour-changing-its-mind-on-trans-issues-
    edited July 2022
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Central LAAAAAAAAndan the hottest at the moment. 34 C by 10:15 !

Providence Square is showing 36C, but it's only 30C in Westminster and 28C in Bermondsey. There's a lot of local variability, and some high recordings elsewhere including 34C on the edge of Snowdonia, 35C in Accrington, 34C west of Hull
  • Windows closed, windows covered. Fan on.

In SW London, am coping just about.
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:
    Rishi and Liz are pulling out from the debates because they treat junior ministers and non-ministers as equal to holders of the Great Offices of State, and vice versa. In addition, Sunak is in the lead and has most to lose; Truss might have been in the lead but has already lost support.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Met have changed forecast for tomorrow. Now saying extreme heat but 50% chance of afternoon thunder storms.

Guess the computer just ran a new model run.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

You should get a house in Devon. 26 outside, 22 inside. purfick.
    edited July 2022

Sandpit: no.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Our front room's indoor temperature will be interesting. Just below 22 yesterday, think it'll go above that but it's about as good as you'll find sans aircon.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Love Devon, I used to go down to Salcombe a lot
  • Farooq said:

Dorking
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,721
    Farooq said:

I'll guess Corby...
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr Borough,

"Met have changed forecast for tomorrow. Now saying extreme heat but 50% chance of afternoon thunder storms."

Perfect, that would make it two hot days and a thunderstorm. Now where have I heard that before?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Lennon said:

Farooq said:

I'll guess Corby...
    Cranwell
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

I'm going for Northampton.
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Our front room's indoor temperature will be interesting. Just below 22 yesterday, think it'll go above that but it's about as good as you'll find sans aircon.
    That’s impressive. Triple-glazed, and with the windows covered from the outside?
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 583
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The coldest place on earth is Dubai (or Au Dhabi, Doha etc) in July. With locals pumping their AC full blast it can get freezing indoors...guaranteed to get a chill
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

I hope not! I'm just about to walk to Headingley centre to pick up supplies so I can avoid the worst of the heat.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Cyclefree said:

Maybe “we” is her pronoun?

Met have changed forecast for tomorrow. Now saying extreme heat but 50% chance of afternoon thunder storms.

One of the candidates should offer to buy the Met Office a brand new supercomputer. Lots of scope for rhetoric about levelling up, beating rival nations, British ingenuity and so on. Some of it will be true and we might even get better weather forecasts.
    England head coach Eddie Jones could be in line for an emotional homecoming with sources close to Rugby Australia suggesting that he has emerged as a target after the next World Cup.

Too much time in the sun I think for Rugby Australia.
    TimS said:

The loudest whingers during this heatwave by far seem to be those moaning about weather warnings and how much hotter it was in 1976, back in the good old days when we used Fahrenheit.

I don't think that is right. I see lots of rebuttals about that supposedly boomer meme, but not much sign of the meme itself. Rather like all these rabid transphobes who are meant to lurk round every corner, but whose offence turns out to be a very slight bias in favour of women not being raped by men.
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The place is infested with moths.
  • Farooq said:

Sleaford in Lincolnshire

Just outside Sleaford, by a village called Quarrington, there's a Boiling Wells Farm
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    edited July 2022
    IanB2 said:

It is good, but I'd add some caveats.

My temperature sensor is not great or ideally situated, but it does have a radiation screen and it is some distance from concrete, so it could be a lot worse. It currently reads 20.9C.

Somebody in South Edinburgh is providing data to that website and recorded a temperature of 28.6C 50 minutes ago. I'm closer to the Forth here, so I'd expect to be a bit cooler, but the magnitude of the difference makes me wonder about where their sensor is located.

I guess it gives you an idea of temperature as experienced by people in their back gardens, as opposed to the scientifically most rigorous observations of the large-scale temperature.
  • Our weather station uploads its data to https://app.weathercloud.net/map

There is a reasonable coverage throughout the UK (and beyond).
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That’s impressive. Triple-glazed, and with the windows covered from the outside?
    No, double glazed, internal blinds. The windows are sloped and there's a bit of roof overhang tho..

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:
    Rishi and Liz are pulling out from the debates because they treat junior ministers and non-ministers as equal to holders of the Great Offices of State, and vice versa. In addition, Sunak is in the lead and has most to lose; Truss might have been in the lead but has already lost support.
    Rishi is a back bencher!
    edited July 2022

One of the candidates should offer to buy the Met Office a brand new supercomputer. Lots of scope for rhetoric about levelling up, beating rival nations, British ingenuity and so on. Some of it will be true and we might even get better weather forecasts.
    They are already getting one, £1.2bn from the government. Funding announced in 2020, partnership announced last year.

Met Office and Microsoft to build climate supercomputer
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56840169
    RH1992 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

I hope not! I'm just about to walk to Headingley centre to pick up supplies so I can avoid the worst of the heat.
    You may be gone for some time....
    edited July 2022

Our weather station uploads its data to https://app.weathercloud.net/map

There is a reasonable coverage throughout the UK (and beyond).

It appears to be giving a similar pattern as the Met site, with a fair few readings already in the low 30s - but you cant see the pattern unless you click on each dot individually?

In my garden I only have 24.5, so sitting indoors in the dark might prove to be overkill?
    Our kitchen/diner will get fecking hot later - west-facing patio doors with no curtains.

Yesterday I waited until after 10pm to do the washing up.

Fortunately our bedroom is north-facing.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874

Pulpstar said:

Hmm..

Looking up the current temperature in Sheffield it's 24 according to MSN weather, 28 by Google and either 24 or 26 according to how zoomed on Windy it is (ECMWF) or 27 if you switch to GFS.

I get forecasting isn't exact, but surely the current temperature should be in agreement ?

Depends what data they're using and how quickly they're updating it. There's no Met Office observation site in Sheffield, their nearest station is 27 miles away, and it's warming up rapidly this morning, so you'd get a large difference if using the same data but updating it more or less quickly.

There are more observations on the Weather Observations Website (WOW), but not all of those will necessarily be well sited for high quality observations. https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/

Even on there you can't see readings of 25-33C in the Greater Sheffield area. This will vary depending on the site location, quality of the radiation shielding on the instrument, etc.
    There's this observation for 36.6C (now 37.7C) on the WOW, at Lyneham, but it's a bit out of kilter with other nearby observations.

https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/20220718mpfmxzagqhe65pqtyyb96sppnc

The official observation is quite a bit cooler (at 8am), and from the change over time I'd guess the WOW observation has caught a bit of sun on their temperature sensor.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/observations/gcnsfxv5m
    Yes. I’m not that far from lyneh am and I am 10 degrees cooler.

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The place is infested with moths.
    Not a very nice way to describe all the grockles.
    Ten minutes left and murali_s is obviously the smartest person on here

Farooq said:

Dorking
    Is THAT any way to speak to a fellow PBer? Please try to maintain SOME decorum in these trying times!
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,006
    No idea what the actual temperature is up here up my Buchan hill. Gooooogle says 20 but feels well sultry outside. Forecast to hit 25 over the next few days. No problem sleeping of course because granite building means nice and cool inside.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    IanB2 said:

24C where I am, due to hit the 30's around lunchtime.
  • Farooq said:

Murali has already gone for the easy one, its what I would have said if it wasn't already said.

So I've gone for Dorking, Surrey, in case you missed that one.

Farooq said:

Murali has already gone for the easy one, its what I would have said if it wasn't already said.

I did miss it, apologies. Add you now.
  • No idea what the actual temperature is up here up my Buchan hill. Gooooogle says 20 but feels well sultry outside. Forecast to hit 25 over the next few days. No problem sleeping of course because granite building means nice and cool inside.

Lucky git

They are already getting one, £1.2bn from the government. Funding announced in 2020, partnership announced last year.

They’re running Windows on the mainframe? No wonder it’s so damn expensive.

Our kitchen/diner will get fecking hot later - west-facing patio doors with no curtains.

Yesterday I waited until after 10pm to do the washing up.

Fortunately our bedroom is north-facing.

You can improvise curtains with tape and sheets, towels or bin-liners. And stay cooler in bed by sleeping alone!
    Farooq said:

The previous UK record was Cambridge Botanic Gardens so I'm hoping Cambs is a smart decision.
    The simple observable reality is that we are starting to see bigger and bigger impacts of climate change. I hustle vegan food as my main source of income so that does something, and drive a PHEV which is another.

Still haven't committed to go full EV despite a Tesla Y on order. Full-size SUV is just too sodding useful up here - yet another example at the weekend of hauling items which *just* fit inside which wouldn't in the Tesla. I can see why there are so many pick-up trucks up here. Which I want/don't want. So the Outlander is the best compromise at the moment.

Anyway, I don't think it is tooooo bad for the environment. Did a YouTube trip to Sandend then Cullen then Fraserburgh then home last week. 85 miles, 116mpg. Not too shabby.
  • Sky officially confirming their leadership debate is cancelled. 🤣
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Exactly. It will be the fastest supercomputer exclusively used for meteorology. And despite some of the moaning there was when the deal was announced it all looks sensible to me. There aren't many organisations that can run a data centre more efficiently than Microsoft, maybe Amazon and Google, but Microsoft seem to be offering just what is needed for the Met Office in the UK.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Debate on Sky has been cancelled.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    My weather app is now showing 36 in Newcastle tomorrow. Surely not?

Sky officially confirming their leadership debate is cancelled. 🤣

Sunak heading to evens
  • Sky cancelled the leadership debate.

Tories running scared, this is the attitude of a party out of ideas and destined for opposition, not a party that is going to win another landslide.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    Lennon said:

Farooq said:

I'll guess Corby...
    I've checked and I don't think the Met Office station at Cheltenham is operative now, so can I change mine? Needs somewhere with a bit of descent off the hills. I'll try Hawarden Airport, 53.175, -2.985

Tomorrow I'm sticking with Cawood (Selby).
    Farooq said:

The hottest place in the country will be wherever Boris Johnson is. After his Top Gun cosplay at the weekend he is the literal embodiment of hot stuff. With his sex drive he must generate an extra 5 degrees all by himself.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    edited July 2022
    Travelling to our refuge hotel in the next town to sit out the next couple of days. Have to go back to work tomorrow and won't be able to use the trains to get back and forth because the entire service has been axed for Tuesday. They're obviously in a real panic about the tracks and the overhead lines. Mercifully I can get a lift.

Train is nice and comfy but it's already really quite hot out. This afternoon promises to be like something from the infernal regions. Grim.

My weather app is now showing 36 in Newcastle tomorrow. Surely not?

Given how little clothing many Geordies wear when is -15, I can't imagine how they are dealing with such temperatures....
    edited July 2022
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

I did miss it, apologies. Add you now.
    Put me down for Penge, please.
  • Sky officially confirming their leadership debate is cancelled. 🤣

Sunak heading to evens
    @Nigel_Foremain named my £5000 bet on Sunak as being an example of poor judgement the other day. 😂
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

I'll go for Pamplona.

Not having seen the terms, and it doesn't involve money.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    jonny83 said:

Why?
  • MrEd said:
    Hello MrEd.
    jonny83 said:

IanB2 said:

24C where I am, due to hit the 30's around lunchtime.
    Outside of London looks like Weybridge is highest so far - zooming around on that map.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    jonny83 said:

Wow, the Tories are so afraid of public scrutiny that they won't even debate each other. Perhaps someone could find an extra large fridge for them to hide in together.
  • Farooq said:

Stay cool tip:
    If you want your house to emit heat, rather than absorb it, turn up all your radiators. Put your oven on max and open its door.

That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for him
  • Just noticed that on the Accuweather word scale of heat, 'quite hot' is hotter than 'hot'

Sky officially confirming their leadership debate is cancelled. 🤣

Sunak heading to evens
    @Nigel_Foremain named my £5000 bet on Sunak as being an example of poor judgement the other day. 😂
    You put five grand on him?

(Or you put £25 on him at 200/1?)

jonny83 said:

Wow, the Tories are so afraid of public scrutiny that they won't even debate each other. Perhaps someone could find an extra large fridge for them to hide in together.
    Except they have done, twice. Good point though.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,115

The simple observable reality is that we are starting to see bigger and bigger impacts of climate change. I hustle vegan food as my main source of income so that does something, and drive a PHEV which is another.

Still haven't committed to go full EV despite a Tesla Y on order. Full-size SUV is just too sodding useful up here - yet another example at the weekend of hauling items which *just* fit inside which wouldn't in the Tesla. I can see why there are so many pick-up trucks up here. Which I want/don't want. So the Outlander is the best compromise at the moment.

Anyway, I don't think it is tooooo bad for the environment. Did a YouTube trip to Sandend then Cullen then Fraserburgh then home last week. 85 miles, 116mpg. Not too shabby.

Winter too is a big 4x4 motivator, obvs.
  • Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 403
    Local Tory activist I know has proven to be a bellwether in the past… leading Brexit campaigner, Boris worshipper, net-zero phobic… having flirted with Badenoch, he is now committed to Sunak and is already planning for the hustings in August… the reason? Simple, Sunak is seen as the most likely to avoid defeat in 2024
  • The Tories are cancelling the debate because they can't bear to debate the non-ideas they have.

Pathetic display.
This discussion has been closed.