Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Political Love Island – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    nova said:

MrEd said:

There may be a fair few Tory MPs thinking it's nice that Mark Francois with his 31K majority is recommending Liz Truss but we can't go for it.

nico679 said:

Continuity Johnson is a wonderful gift to Labour which I should celebrate but simply can’t .

Truss will be a puppet and the ERG will pull the strings as she desperately tries to prove her Leave credentials by starting a trade war with the EU and embarking on another two years of divisive politics .

Any sane Tory MP needs to get a grip and ensure Truss does not make the final 2 .

With any luck a Sunday paper will have done some polling matchups vs Labour and Truss’s figures will be dire, just to hammer the point home
    There was polling last week, where Truss v Starmer was dire (-12pts)

But Mourdant v Starmer was worse (-15pts)

It was the poll the Sunak campaign used, as he was the only one who came out of it well (+1pt)
    Truss did worse than Sunak and Mordaunt in redwall seats and worse than Tugendhat and Mordaunt in blue wall seats in a Sunday Times poll last weekend. Albeit Hunt did worst of all

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1546186971235729410?s=20&t=gWrr_DGKDjwczxxmyZKCYA

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1546055540618407936?s=20&t=gWrr_DGKDjwczxxmyZKCYA

• MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

rcs1000 said:

nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

Continuity Johnson is a wonderful gift to Labour which I should celebrate but simply can’t .

Truss will be a puppet and the ERG will pull the strings as she desperately tries to prove her Leave credentials by starting a trade war with the EU and embarking on another two years of divisive politics .

Any sane Tory MP needs to get a grip and ensure Truss does not make the final 2 .

The issue is there is continuity Johnson from the 3 frontrunners. Each seems to be an emanation of one side of his shape shifting character.
    None is a completely clean break from it.
    Truss is a truly awful individual who would be catastrophic for EU UK relations . That’s why the EU weren’t jumping for joy when Johnson was given his P45 , mindful that the Tories could always deliver someone just as bad or worse .
    For: "a truly awful individual who would be catastrophic for EU UK relations"
    Read: "a truly good individual that would put the UK interest before EU UK relations"

Macron doesn't hesitate to put French interests first and so he should, he's the President of France. The least we should expect of the UK PM is they'd do the same and stop pissing about trying to have "good relations". That's one thing Boris got right and I think Truss could be even better if she gets it. 👍
    I suspect Truss would be quite pragmatic, and while firm with championing British interests would probably do it while not rubbing people up the wrong way quite so much.
    I expect you're right. While being firm with the NI issue she's kept an olive branch out for the EU all along and her red/green lane solution is quite a good one. I expect the Truss and the EU would be able to reach a face-saving solution along those lines, even if its not the solution they'd have wanted.
    I have agreed with you on this all the way through, Bart. There will be agreement to tweak this, and what UK (and PBs Bart) have proposed all along will be the basis of it.

But it’s fair leaver PM Penny owns that eventual success, we can’t give it to Truss at any point, that would be silly.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004

And if we want to be balanced, Johnson seems to have slept with most of the Tory Party too - and indeed people from lots of other places too, it isn't about gender.

But no surprise to see the usual suspect jump on the bandwagon, yawn.

You should not be allowed to make such slanderous allegations
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    I was hoping Kemi might have done better in the 2nd round of voting. I’m not ruling out that she does so in the debates/hustings over the weekend - but realistically I’m not expecting her to overhaul Truss.

None of the 3 shortest in the betting impress me much. I suppose if I had to choose one it would be Sunak. He is clearly very bright. But he comes over as more wanting to be someone than to do something; a phrase used here in the inverse by Nick Palmer re Michael Gove - and by Sajid Javid in his resignation speech about himself. Rishi comes over to me as a faux Tony Blair. (Is that an oxymoron?)

The little I have seen of Penny in the past I have liked but Frost’s criticisms, Penny's lack of experience in government at the highest level and her appearances so far in this campaign have made me re-evaluate her. She is probably too lightweight to be next PM.

Nor does Truss impress me much. But she looks best placed to win now as the Goldilocks candidate. She has more right wing-ness than Penny or Rishi. She has established that she has sufficient Brexiteer credentials, (Baker is now backing her), despite originally voting Remain. She has experience at the highest level of government.

So I’m predicting Truss will be our next PM.

In Liz we Truss!
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,243
    edited July 2022
    Test
  • BournvilleBournville Posts: 303

Truss is notorious amongst Parliamentary staffers for being a vindictive bully, and if she becomes PM I expect a lot of the really bad comments will go public.

Wasn't this all leaked a few years ago, I am sure I have read about this before.
    Her being a bully is public. The really bad stuff, the systematic bullying of staff and some very unpleasant comments aimed at disabled people, has been circulating in Westminster for a while but (presumably) the press have been sitting on it until the benefits of reporting outweigh the risks of legal action. Her becoming PM probably tips the balance.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,847
    edited July 2022

Binley & Willenhall (Coventry) By-Election Result:

LAB: 36.2% (-5.1)
    CON: 29.6% (+0.7)
    CCP: 28.9% (+9.6)
    ADF: 3.5% (+1.8)
    TUSC: 1.8% (New)

No GRN (-7.1) as previous.

Labour HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2022

Uninspiring Lab hold.in Coventry.

Just the Thetford/Truss result to come and they count in the morning

Good result for the Chinese Communist Party.
    Yes, they are flying in Binley! Home of the famous mega chippy.
    I believe its actually the Coventry Citizens Party
    ADF are the alliance for democracy and freedom
    TUSC are their usual Continuity Scargill selves
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,272
    My WeatherPro app (powered by German met models I think) now showing 40C for London on Tuesday

Absolutely unprecedented
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Still Badenoch being offered sub 40 :D

Are the backers expecting Liz to shit herself live on TV or something ?

On past performances, a definite possibility!
    What hat will she wear? 🤭

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Given climatic & cultural conditions, pith helmet is obvious choice (as previously suggested by a sage PBer).
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited July 2022
    Liz Truss is on that sex pest list published some years ago. Along with Raab, etc.

Some absurd posturing on here tonight.
    Leon said:

My WeatherPro app (powered by German met models I think) now showing 40C for London on Tuesday

Absolutely unprecedented

Where’s the rain for Wednesday and Thursday with that one? Everyone else has England getting “thundery breakdown” and drop in temp from the low pressure.
    The BBC comes into line. 40C in London on Monday

I am quite startled the government is not now dishing out major alerts. That’s life threatening heat, 3 days away
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056
    Leon said:

Absolutely unprecedented

Some apps show measured temp, some show “feels like”. For records, the measured temp is important, for the human experience, feels-like is.

Which is your data?

(I have booked a hotel for the duration.)
  • Liz Truss is on that sex pest list published some years ago. Along with Raab, etc.

No it's just the usual suspect jumping on a bandwagon because I posted it. They do this a lot.

If one of his chums had posted it, he'd have stayed silent. Because it's a leftie he plays the forum police.

And yes I knew that's where I'd seen it - it was posted on here.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Absolutely unprecedented

Some apps show measured temp, some show “feels like”. For records, the measured temp is important, for the human experience, feels-like is.

Which is your data?

The standard Apple weather app, for example, shows feels-like.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Absolutely unprecedented

Which is your data?

That's measured temp
  • SW London is showing as 39 on Monday and Tuesday, I wonder if my cricket match will be postponed
  • rcs1000 said:

Liz Truss is on that sex pest list published some years ago. Along with Raab, etc.

No it's just the usual suspect jumping on a bandwagon because I posted it. They do this a lot.

If one of his chums had posted it, he'd have stayed silent. Because it's a leftie he plays the forum police.

And yes I knew that's where I'd seen it - it was posted on here.
    Really?

You want to accuse me of that?

Can I suggest you take a step away from the keyboard.
    No I wasn't talking about you, it was the other poster. I withdrew it because you asked me to - I have respectfully done that already.
    I am seriously considering booking an airconned hotel room for two nights

Sunday-Tuesday are going to be intolerably hot to the point of UGH
    edited July 2022

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Given climatic & cultural conditions, pith helmet is obvious choice (as previously suggested by a sage PBer).
    Nice. Is it like this one worn by Otto - The PB Cat

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,934

Betfair next PM:-

1.85 Penny Mordaunt 54%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    150 Tom Tugendhat
    290 Dominic Raab

Liz returns to second favourite; Kemi goes for a walk.

1.87 Penny Mordaunt 53%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    44 Kemi Badenoch
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    1.92 Penny Mordaunt 52%
    4.2 Liz Truss 24%
    4.9 Rishi Sunak 20%
    27 Kemi Badenoch
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    After the ERG boost for Truss:-

2.12 Penny Mordaunt 47%
    3.6 Liz Truss 28%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    30 Kemi Badenoch
    160 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2022
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Absolutely unprecedented

Which is your data?

It will be actual measured temperature.

One thing noticeable about this heat is that unlike many of our normal hot days in summer, it will not be humid. Humidity might be as low as 20%, so it will feel more like opening an oven than sitting in a sauna. A wet t-shirt will dry very quickly but will also be very effective at cooling.

I rather extravagantly bought a portable air conditioner a week ago to make sure my elderly dad doesn't fry, so I'll be sitting in one noisy room for the worst of it.

Might have to take a t-shirt out the freezer before going out anywhere.
    rcs1000 said:

Supposedly Truss has slept with most of the Tory Party but I am not sure if this just a silly rumour.

I think you should withdraw that allegation. And I find it very distasteful when people assume that just because a woman has made a success of business or politics, that sex might have something to do with it.
    Likewise the assumption that women cannot enjoy sex for its own sake. It can be rather fun, or so I've heard.

SW London is showing as 39 on Monday and Tuesday, I wonder if my cricket match will be postponed

Too dry and sunny for cricket? Then you will be lucky to get a cricket season in at this rate.

Not much of a mad dog or Englishman are you? 🤭

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Absolutely unprecedented

Which is your data?

One thing noticeable about this heat is that unlike many of our normal hot days in summer, it will not be humid. Humidity might be as low as 20%, so it will feel more like opening an oven than sitting in a sauna. A wet t-shirt will dry very quickly but will also be very effective at cooling.

I rather extravagantly bought a portable air conditioner a week ago to make sure my elderly dad doesn't fry, so I'll be sitting in one noisy room for the worst of it.

This portable air conditioner. Where and how does it vent the hot air? I ask in case you've made things worse by needing an open window.

That's a thought. If you must drive, maybe check the a/c is on recirculated air, rather than pulling in hot air from outside, although that will make it worse for Covid transmission!
    Leon said:

Will be cooler in the country and by the sea? Even without charms of Old Montenegro.
    Leon said:

Don't leave it too late; others will have the same idea. And I suspect the air-conditioned 24-hour Tesco will be busy too.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 137
    edited July 2022

Swamp (evaporative) coolers also good, which you can rig up with box fan & wet towel (use cold water!)

Correct where you live, but virtually useless here due to our much higher humidity. Swamp coolers rely on it being desert dry. Doesn't stop argos etc selling them though.

Since until recently we lived darn sarf we have several air conditioning units that have been sitting in our shed. We have pledged the majority of them to family members for Monday/Tuesday though as we reckon so long as our bedroom is fine the rest we can cope with so not especially bothered about this heat wave on a personal level, but am deeply concerned about what this sort of thing means for the country - it's becoming unliveable down in the south east.

Anyway my betting position on the next PM market - green on everyone since have been playing this since Boris became PM and with all the volatility we've had only an imbecile could have failed to make money (I see stuff like laying Nigel Farage at 38 in my history) - but my current postion is essentially:

1. Piled onto Badenoch. I cannot justify this rationally. It's pure gut feel and a 'vanity bet' where I'm spending a few hundred quid of my green which I cannot recommend copying. She's the sensible choice that tories *should* pick and I've emailed my MP (with a majority of 1500) urging him to endorse her rather than Rishi who he's curently behind. He's completely doomed with Sunak, I don't understand what he's doing.
    2. Having previously backed the shit out of her, laid the shit out of Penny as a trading bet. Rather pleased I have a local maximum backing price on her of 2.86 from an order I left in but sadly it's only £28 of the order. Still, some chance I can get some more back. A quick trading position and I will probably go neutral soon.
    3. Suank is value at these odds. I'm currently short him from much lower and trading out of the position. Once I've done that I may back him too
    4. Truss beats Sunak and loses to Penny. Her price has the feel of market manipulation. Avoiding touching.
    5. TT/Raab/Starmer - not much point in doing anything.
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

In Italy, with temps at 36, no one was outside and every shutter was closed.

Also interesting to hear the advice about keeping south facing windows closed - would never occur to me that having them open would increase temperatures.

Yes - keep them closed and close curtains. The room never gets warm and so you have a cool dark room at the end of the day.
    "Never gets warm?" This is an exaggeration to put it mildly, unless perhaps you live in a very old stone cottage.

The modern British home is custom built to trap heat, because they're all constructed to deal with wet, chilly days not roasting hot ones. Hardly any of them have been built with such conditions in mind.

It's really all about damage limitation: trying to make the interior of one's home hot rather than actually lethal.
    Trapping heat is identical to trapping cool. Keep all your windows and door shut, and a well insulated house will do a fine job of keeping the heat out.
    The average human generates about 100W of heat continuously. Your fridge will also dump heat into your house, as will, most obviously, any cooking that you do, or hot water that you use for washing dishes, or yourself. If you can't lose this heat to the outside world, then your house will warm up over time.
    I am suddenly hearing Flanders and Swann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbiVw_1FNs
    I just check this out, only listened to first few minutes, but thanks muchly for posting!

Never heard of these guys before, so am obliged to you.

Please get snow cones in your fav flavors for your & yours - will reimburse next (or first) time we meet!
    edited July 2022

Swamp (evaporative) coolers also good, which you can rig up with box fan & wet towel (use cold water!)

Correct where you live, but virtually useless here due to our much higher humidity. Swamp coolers rely on it being desert dry. Doesn't stop argos etc selling them though.

Since until recently we lived darn sarf we have several air conditioning units that have been sitting in our shed. We have pledged the majority of them to family members for Monday/Tuesday though as we reckon so long as our bedroom is fine the rest we can cope with so not especially bothered about this heat wave on a personal level, but am deeply concerned about what this sort of thing means for the country - it's becoming unliveable down in the south east.

Anyway my betting position on the next PM market - green on everyone since have been playing this since Boris became PM and with all the volatility we've had only an imbecile could have failed to make money (I see stuff like laying Nigel Farage at 38 in my history) - but my current postion is essentially:

1. Piled onto Badenoch. I cannot justify this rationally. It's pure gut feel and a 'vanity bet' where I'm spending a few hundred quid of my green which I cannot recommend copying. She's the sensible choice that tories *should* pick and I've emailed my MP (with a majority of 1500) urging him to endorse her rather than Rishi who he's curently behind. He's completely doomed with Sunak, I don't understand what he's doing.
    2. Having previously backed the shit out of her, laid the shit out of Penny as a trading bet. Rather pleased I have a local maximum backing price on her of 2.86 from an order I left in but sadly it's only £28 of the order. Still, some chance I can get some more back. A quick trading position and I will probably go neutral soon.
    3. Suank is value at these odds. I'm currently short him from much lower and trading out of the position. Once I've done that I may back him too
    4. Truss beats Sunak and loses to Penny. Her price has the feel of market manipulation. Avoiding touching.
    You have a point re: humidity, though Western WA is NOT Arizona or even Eastern WA, even when we're getting kissed with a blast of their air.

As for cooler, my cube job I got a few summers ago puts out a good deal of COLD air in a SMALL area, say about 9-10 cubic feet. Won't cool a room but will help you stop sweating in bed (for a bit) and get to sleep.

EDIT - Think you are correct with respect to the homemade kind of swamp cooler in higher humidity. Just isn't cool enough that situation.

Where I'm typing this from right now, the floor is directly over earth. Which creates a cooling effect, I can feel the cooler air on my legs under the table. Very nice on a warm let alone hot day.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Boris was at least well known.
    Just seems bizarre to me the country may end up with Penny Mordaunt... I don't think most people even know who she is.

Surely it will be Rishi or Truss... both of whom have actually done major jobs in govt before.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited July 2022

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Absolutely unprecedented

Which is your data?

This portable air conditioner. Where and how does it vent the hot air? I ask in case you've made things worse by needing an open window.

That's a thought. If you must drive, maybe check the a/c is on recirculated air, rather than pulling in hot air from outside, although that will make it worse for Covid transmission!
    Vent through the window, yes. I made a cardboard template to plug the gap and cut a hole in it. Not rocket science!

They are pretty noisy though - mainly due to the compressor. Not something you'd normally want in a room, particularly as you have to keep the door shut. I suspect the best use of one would be to cool a bedroom down before going to bed.

Was thinking it might be a bit excessive but dare I suggest that some models are suggesting a reload the following weekend...
    edited July 2022

“Piled onto Badenoch. She's the sensible choice that tories *should* pick and I've emailed my MP (with a majority of 1500) urging him to endorse her rather than Rishi who he's curently behind. He's completely doomed with Sunak, I don't understand what he's doing.”

Is this man pulling the strings of the Badenoch Campaign?

And with the explosive ammo it’s being rumoured he is sitting on, can he actually pull it off?

edited July 2022

“Piled onto Badenoch. She's the sensible choice that tories *should* pick and I've emailed my MP (with a majority of 1500) urging him to endorse her rather than Rishi who he's curently behind. He's completely doomed with Sunak, I don't understand what he's doing.”

Is this man pulling the strings of the Badenoch Campaign?

And with the explosive ammo it’s being rumoured he is sitting on, can he actually pull it off?

Dunno. Is he pulling the strings? Is he sitting on explosive ammo? It may be worth remembering that Boris's downfall was of his own making and not because anyone was practising the dark arts, as Nadine Dorries might have it. (And it might be kinder just to type Cummings' name rather than post a photo because some people will be chewing through their mobile phone data.)
    A 50-second video from the Evening Standard on the houses and flat Boris owns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXWFLRmCO6M
    Peter Oborne is not a fan of Boris or the big money interests pulling the strings (9-minute video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsa_sqdYzM
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Binley & Willenhall (Coventry) By-Election Result:

LAB: 36.2% (-5.1)
    CON: 29.6% (+0.7)
    CCP: 28.9% (+9.6)
    ADF: 3.5% (+1.8)
    TUSC: 1.8% (New)

No GRN (-7.1) as previous.

Labour HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2022

Uninspiring Lab hold.in Coventry.

Just the Thetford/Truss result to come and they count in the morning

Good result for the Chinese Communist Party.
    Well there's a result that proves Labour certainly hasn't won the hearts of the working class back
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,037
    If the ERG are only 60 strong and several were already supporting Truss and say 23-24 of them (vast majority?) were Braverman then how many will listen and switch from both her and Badenoch?

I think Badenoch voters will stay fairly loyal, not entirely, so let's say she picks up 3-4 Braverman and sheds 10 ERG to Truss then we have something like 97 votes for Truss.

The question then is were the Tugendhat votes go (probably a mix of Sunak and Mordaunt) and Kemi's votes probably mainly go to Truss.

Basically, I think Truss overtakes Mordaunt once Kemi is eliminated whilst Sunak almost certainly makes it to 115 votes and should make it to 120+.

So it's probably Sunak v. Truss. Penny is in trouble.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,037

If the ERG are only 60 strong and several were already supporting Truss and say 23-24 of them (vast majority?) were Braverman then how many will listen and switch from both her and Badenoch?

I think Badenoch voters will stay fairly loyal, not entirely, so let's say she picks up 3-4 Braverman and sheds 10 ERG to Truss then we have something like 97 votes for Truss.

The question then is were the Tugendhat votes go (probably a mix of Sunak and Mordaunt) and Kemi's votes probably mainly go to Truss.

Basically, I think Truss overtakes Mordaunt once Kemi is eliminated whilst Sunak almost certainly makes it to 115 votes and should make it to 120+.

Edit: this assumes majority of ERG (e.g. c. 35 votes) are currently down under Badenoch and Braverman and not Truss and will all obey the switch. It also assumes that the count of 60 ERG is correct. Further, that virtually none to to Mordaunt.

If any of that is wrong, then it could still be very close between Mordaunt and Truss on MP votes.

Edit: this assumes majority of ERG (e.g. c. 35 votes) are currently down under Badenoch and Braverman and not Truss and will all obey the switch. It also assumes that the count of 60 ERG is correct. Further, that virtually none to to Mordaunt.

If any of that is wrong, then it could still be very close between Mordaunt and Truss on MP votes.
    Betfair's final two market agrees that Rishi is most likely to qualify for the runoff, along with one of the women, probably Penny Mordaunt. Look at the implied probability percentages on the right.

1.29 Rishi Sunak 78%
    1.41 Penny Mordaunt 71%
    2.12 Liz Truss 47%
    14 Kemi Badenoch 7%
    55 Tom Tugendhat
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited July 2022

Quote from the Telegraph:

"In a letter seen by The Telegraph, Mr Francois – who has already declared for Ms Truss – said that, at a meeting of the ERG on Wednesday, “we did overwhelmingly agree that there were two candidates who we felt stood out among all the others, namely Suella Braverman and Liz Truss”.

He added: “While nearly all members of the group were backing either one or the other, we also agreed collectively that, if only one got through to the next round, we would then row in behind that candidate, whichever one it might be.”"

ie Nearly all members of ERG are already supporting Truss or Braverman.

It's all going to hinge on how the Badenoch vote splits - and that is hard to tell. Truss will probably get more of it than Mordaunt - but will she get enough more?

Betfair next PM:-

1.85 Penny Mordaunt 54%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    150 Tom Tugendhat
    290 Dominic Raab

Liz returns to second favourite; Kemi goes for a walk.

1.87 Penny Mordaunt 53%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    44 Kemi Badenoch
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    1.92 Penny Mordaunt 52%
    4.2 Liz Truss 24%
    4.9 Rishi Sunak 20%
    27 Kemi Badenoch
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    After the ERG boost for Truss:-

2.12 Penny Mordaunt 47%
    3.6 Liz Truss 28%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    30 Kemi Badenoch
    160 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    Betfair next pm prices:-

2.12 Penny Mordaunt 47%
    3.5 Liz Truss 29%
    4.6 Rishi Sunak 22%
    30 Kemi Badenoch
    110 Dominic Raab
    170 Tom Tugendhat

Obviously there are the two debates before the next vote (possibly more if the heatwave means the vote is postponed) and we are already seeing attacks by camp followers and in the press.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited July 2022
    Rachel Maclean (a declared Badenoch supporter) was on Newsnight and was very unhappy that interviewer was questioning her on culture wars.

She did not say who she would support if Badenoch is knocked out but she certainly didn't come across as likely to switch to Truss.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,584
    For @rcs1000

And finally ragtime pianists are adding Radiohead to their repertoires.
    https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/1547788422344953858
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited July 2022

What happens if it is a tie between 2 second place candidates ?

It is going to be so close that this is not inconceivable.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Funny how the Tory leadership contest is going to reach boiling point on Monday and Tuesday when it's going to be 39 degrees in London.

Yes, the BBC just predicted 39C in London on Tuesday. That - tho they didn't mention it - is an all-time UK heat record
    Have just noticed we are predicted 25 and 26 over Sunday to Tuesday on the Met Office site.
    So what you say? That's not much.
    But that is a serious upgrade on 24 hours ago.
    We.were set for 22 and 23 then.
    So. The heat seems to be firming up.
    BBC/Meteo has us peaking at 28C on Monday, thanks to the sea breeze. But I see that central London is now forecast 37-38C for both Monday and Tuesday. Ouch.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. B2, forecast to be 37C, feels like 40C here on Tuesday. 26C at 10pm that 'night'.
    edited July 2022

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Also interesting to hear the advice about keeping south facing windows closed - would never occur to me that having them open would increase temperatures.

Yes - keep them closed and close curtains. The room never gets warm and so you have a cool dark room at the end of the day.
    "Never gets warm?" This is an exaggeration to put it mildly, unless perhaps you live in a very old stone cottage.

The modern British home is custom built to trap heat, because they're all constructed to deal with wet, chilly days not roasting hot ones. Hardly any of them have been built with such conditions in mind.

It's really all about damage limitation: trying to make the interior of one's home hot rather than actually lethal.
    Trapping heat is identical to trapping cool. Keep all your windows and door shut, and a well insulated house will do a fine job of keeping the heat out.
    The average human generates about 100W of heat continuously. Your fridge will also dump heat into your house, as will, most obviously, any cooking that you do, or hot water that you use for washing dishes, or yourself. If you can't lose this heat to the outside world, then your house will warm up over time.
    So the secret to having a cool house is to sit outside? ;)

Anyhow, once the air temperature reaches normal body temperature - which it will next week - that ceases to apply.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2022

Peter Oborne is not a fan of Boris or the big money interests pulling the strings (9-minute video)

An excellent piece of work by Peter Oborne. That's how to do a polemic. If PM4PM had made her promotional video as interesting instead of that vacuous pseudo patriotic drivel the commentariat wouldn't now be thinking her an airhead.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,768
    edited July 2022

It happened in 1997 (for last place) and they re-ran the round.

If it was still tied at that point I suspect they would draw lots.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,534
    Roger said:

An excellent piece of work by Peter Oborne. That's how to do a polemic. If PM4PM had made her promotional video as interesting instead of that vacuous pseudo patriotic drivel the commentariat wouldn't now be thinking her an airhead.
    She's not 'talent' enough for you, Roger? ;)
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,748

MikeL said:

"In a letter seen by The Telegraph, Mr Francois – who has already declared for Ms Truss – said that, at a meeting of the ERG on Wednesday, “we did overwhelmingly agree that there were two candidates who we felt stood out among all the others, namely Suella Braverman and Liz Truss”.

He added: “While nearly all members of the group were backing either one or the other, we also agreed collectively that, if only one got through to the next round, we would then row in behind that candidate, whichever one it might be.”"

It's all going to hinge on how the Badenoch vote splits - and that is hard to tell. Truss will probably get more of it than Mordaunt - but will she get enough more?
    Stood out for being bonkers, not good.

The demise of the ERG is something I look forward to.
    They need to move on from their obsession with finding new fronts in their war the EU. There are many other far more urgent problems in the world that need attention... China, Russia etc; not to mention to the assault on western liberalism from within. In the end even very successful political movements eventually become irrelevant.
    ydoethur said:

Ah, you mean 2001, I think -- the two bottom placed candidates (Davis+Ancram) were tied. That is quick to fix.

If it is Rishi in a slight lead and Liz+Penny tied in the final round ballot, that is harder to fix.
    Mr. Cwsc, sounds like it would be time for Thunderdome.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,088
    Leon said:

Now you've mentioned this I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'll be fine on Sunday as it's not so hot and I'll be at the coast but, from travelling back on Monday afternoon through to Tuesday night, where we live (near Cambridge) is going to be absolutely dreadful. Might be worth the expense to be spared most of the suffering.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Nigelb said:

For @rcs1000

And finally ragtime pianists are adding Radiohead to their repertoires.
    https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/1547788422344953858

I'm seeing Christopher O'Reilly play Radiohead in a few weeks:

https://youtu.be/N3Mk8fo71RM

ydoethur said:

Ah, you mean 2001, I think -- the two bottom placed candidates (Davis+Ancram) were tied. That is quick to fix.

If it is Rishi in a slight lead and Liz+Penny tied in the final round ballot, that is harder to fix.
    Yes, sorry, 2001.

And I agree it would be harder but I don’t see they have many other choices. Unless they send all three forward because i don’t think (although I haven’t checked) the rules actually state there must be two, just that there must be ‘a selection’.

Has to be said, the Tory party rules on the leadership haven’t shown to best advantage in this contest.

MikeL said:

They're unhinged. Braverman "Stood out among all the others"!!

They should be on their way to the funny farm

Roger said:

I found myself at a table next to 12 Russians last night who were having what looked like a party. About half were children. I wasn't sure of the protocol. Should I have demanded to be moved?
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Gender of next Con leader:

Female 1.21
    Male 3.6

Gender of next Lab leader:

Female 1.54
    Male 2.22
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I found myself at a table next to 12 Russians last night who were having what looked like a party. About half were children. I wasn't sure of the protocol. Should I have demanded to be moved?
    What an odd question.
    OK, so the reason they send forward two candidates is Schedule 2, section 6:

'A candidate achieving more than 50% of the vote among the Party Membership shall be declared elected Leader of the Party.'

Two candidates makes that simpler.

So there is no reason why it couldn't be three candidates using AV.

That might be the way they go in the event of a tie.

But I don't think it's very likely. In 2001 there was still one vote in it, and there are more than twice as many MPs now.
    All those scoffing at possible very high temperatures now look quite foolish, perhaps

BBC predicting 40C on Monday in places

• OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,915
    Murdoch (Times Radio) presenting it as a Mordaunt / Sunak two horse race on the information boards at Kings Cross.
    Leon said:

All those scoffing at possible very high temperatures now look quite foolish, perhaps

Although the BBC have a reputation for their forecasts not being so hot.

I thank you.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Leon said:

Who has been scoffing? I have pointed out, correctly, uncertainty in modelling. And a reminder, it hasn’t happened yet. No question it will be hot, and quite possibly see the U.K. record go. Will be very short lived heat though.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    MikeL said:

Sunak and Mordaunt voted Leave and Truss voted Remain, yet in a choice between the three the ERG will go for Truss?
    Mr. Tubbs, already had several days of terrible sleep (heat-related to start with, good old insomnia last few days). Three days of hot nights would be less than helpful...
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

Possibly, though I would question: "Kemi's votes probably mainly go to Truss".

Leon said:

Who has been scoffing? I have pointed out, correctly, uncertainty in modelling. And a reminder, it hasn’t happened yet. No question it will be hot, and quite possibly see the U.K. record go. Will be very short lived heat though.
    Yes, some dude on Netweather says Liverpool might go from ~40C to ~20C in three hours

And nothing is nailed on. A bit of cloud or a sudden storm and it’s just a major heat blast not an all time record

I’d say the chances of 40C somewhere are 30% and the chances of breaking the record 50%
    Backed Mordaunt a little more at 2.15. Greener on everyone else, but evens the scales a little bit.
    This is fairly interesting news if true, and it's a shame Dura_Ace is not around too pour his customary scorn onto it:

"Britain and Japan are close to an agreement to merge their next-generation Tempest and F-X fighter jet programmes, with the two countries aiming for a deal on a new joint project by year-end"

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/exclusive-britain-japan-aim-merge-tempest-f-x-fighter-programmes-sources-2022-07-14/

Roger said:

Roger said:

What an odd question.
    I agree to anybody else it would be. But I couldn't help wondering 'What would Josias do now?' Surely not nothing! With the enemy in his sights would he just place his order and carry on eating?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

I am suddenly hearing Flanders and Swann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbiVw_1FNs
    I just check this out, only listened to first few minutes, but thanks muchly for posting!

Never heard of these guys before, so am obliged to you.

Please get snow cones in your fav flavors for your & yours - will reimburse next (or first) time we meet!
    You'd love 'Slow Train' (I think it's called that) about the Beeching railway line closures.

And you've never heard 'Mud, mud, glorious mud'?
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

What an odd question.
    I agree to anybody else it would be. But I couldn't help wondering 'What would Josias do now?' Surely not nothing! With the enemy in his sights would he just place his order and carry on eating?
    I'm glad that I have such a positive effect on your life, Roger. If you continue thinking how your betters may act then you might even develop a better moral base. ;)
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, some dude on Netweather says Liverpool might go from ~40C to ~20C in three hours

And nothing is nailed on. A bit of cloud or a sudden storm and it’s just a major heat blast not an all time record

I’d say the chances of 40C somewhere are 30% and the chances of breaking the record 50%
    The Met Office forecasts are also still edging upwards. Heathrow now forecast to touch 39C, Sheffield 36C.

I don't think your odds are too far out.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

As I commented below, they really are the Judean People's Front Suicide Squad.

"That'll show em!"

Iain Duncan Smith, @trussliz supporter, on Mordaunt's lead in polls among Tory members and in being the candidate to best beat Labour:
    “The most important thing is not to look at what the polls say," he tells @BBCr4today
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

OK, so the reason they send forward two candidates is Schedule 2, section 6:

'A candidate achieving more than 50% of the vote among the Party Membership shall be declared elected Leader of the Party.'

Two candidates makes that simpler.

So there is no reason why it couldn't be three candidates using AV.

That might be the way they go in the event of a tie.

But I don't think it's very likely. In 2001 there was still one vote in it, and there are more than twice as many MPs now.

Sure, it is not likely -- but not impossible, given the closeness.

When writing the leadership rules, the Tories should have allowed for this eventuality. I wonder if they did.

"The two tied candidates select their seconds & flintlocks and repair to Friar's Common to settle the matter in the time honoured manner."

Or maybe a bikini mud wrestle between Liz and Penny ? (Penny would win that).
    The contest which would most amuse the public during August would be Truss v Mordaunt. The best chance of the Tories holding their own at the next election and having a reasonable government until then is Sunak.

Starmer's dream result is Mordaunt and Truss taking chunks out of each other over the summer followed by a Truss victory.
    edited July 2022
    Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The Met Office forecasts are also still edging upwards. Heathrow now forecast to touch 39C, Sheffield 36C.

The government should be handing out advice from today

40C or not, record or not, this is far more widespread than 2019 - stretching quite far north. And lasting 2-3 days with scary not-very-minimal temps. Few people in the UK will have experienced these temps without aircon in their holiday hotels

I have. They’re not funny

I recall sitting in a remote windless, fanless safari camp in South Luangwa Zambia as it went way over 40C one afternoon. My only recourse was to dunk cloth in cold water then drape it over my naked body - and sit there in the shade, praying for it to go

Scott_xP said:

As I commented below, they really are the Judean People's Front Suicide Squad.

"That'll show em!"

Iain Duncan Smith, @trussliz supporter, on Mordaunt's lead in polls among Tory members and in being the candidate to best beat Labour:
    “The most important thing is not to look at what the polls say," he tells @BBCr4today
    IDS really is monumentally thick. He is like a walking slab of granite.
    He drives a Morgan. Oh dear.

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    Minor point of order, the Cass review is broadly about paediatric gender services, not focused on teenage birth females wanting to transition. It is fair to say that the rapid rise in gender dysphoria among children is largely driven by teenage birth females, so to some extent I'm splitting hairs, but the review is much broader than that, looking at the pros and cons of various treatment options and the (lack of) evidence.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The government should be handing out advice from today

40C or not, record or not, this is far more widespread than 2019 - stretching quite far north. And lasting 2-3 days with scary not-very-minimal temps. Few people in the UK will have experienced these temps without aircon in their holiday hotels

I have. They’re not funny

I recall sitting in a remote windless, fanless safari camp in South Luangwa Zambia as it went way over 40C one afternoon. My only recourse was to dunk cloth in cold water then drape it over my naked body - and sit there in the shade, praying for it to go

You know all that "stay at home" stuff we had during the pandemic? I remember thinking at the time: pretty soon something will happen which will actually justify staying at home and the government, of course, won't bother to give the right advice. Well, here we are. They ought to be telling everyone to stay at home on Monday and Tuesday, and they're not. Not so far anyway.
    It’s a very pleasant 26-28 degrees in the week ahead down here in Cyprus. And we have air con, pools and the beautiful clear sea to chill down in. Enjoy being baked alive folks.

Roger said:

The contest which would most amuse the public during August would be Truss v Mordaunt. The best chance of the Tories holding their own at the next election and having a reasonable government until then is Sunak.

Starmer's dream result is Mordaunt and Truss taking chunks out of each other over the summer followed by a Truss victory.

It is difficult to judge actually.

Remember when the Tories first chose Thatcher as leader , Labour then reacted with glee.

IMO, Starmer should not be worrying about a "dream result" but concentrating on making himself, his team and his policies much more credible.
    It's really hard to see how anyone who has not acted as a party leader or a leader of a large group for some time will cope as PM. In Johnson's case, his time as MoL did not bode well. But none of the candidates have that sort of experience.

It will definitely be a sink-or-swim moment for whoever gets the job.

Backed Mordaunt a little more at 2.15. Greener on everyone else, but evens the scales a little bit.

Trouble is, I sense an insider/outsider issue here (as per the Oborne video) and it looks like Truss may be the insiders' fallback if they can't lever Sunak into the top job. As the fresh face, Mordaunt is already on the receiving end of an attempted hatchet job.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    The headbangers are trying to engineer a Truss win.

It will be Nicola Murray on steroids.

Never mind learning to walk, she gets lost in a room with a single door...

Quiet Bat people?

Emergency reshuffle on a train to Doncaster.

It's going to be epic (and shit)

Roger said:

It is difficult to judge actually.

Remember when the Tories first chose Thatcher as leader , Labour then reacted with glee.

IMO, Starmer should not be worrying about a "dream result" but concentrating on making himself, his team and his policies much more credible.
    Wise point. Thatcher was initially considered to be a dream opponent. She turned into a nightmare.

I’m starting to get a bit concerned about Mordaunt. I think she might be good. Very good.

• BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,156
    edited July 2022
    Stocky said:

MikeL said:

Sunak and Mordaunt voted Leave and Truss voted Remain, yet in a choice between the three the ERG will go for Truss?
    She's the right choice for them. 👍

This isn't 2016. Yes Truss voted Remain but since then she seems to have authentically (not just saying it now as a flag of convenience like Hunt did) accepted the result and has worked hard for years to maximise the returns for the UK of an independent trade policy. Which means staying out of the EU's CU etc and not returning to it as many want. Her NI Protocol Bill solves the NI issue very nicely too, from a UK perspective, even if the EU aren't happy and fits in with having NI gain the advantages of UK trade policy too.

Unless Truss does an about face on trade etc which she has ran on for many years now, she hold a position that is very sound for the ERG.

Sunak OTOH has been repeatedly said in the papers to be much more of a so-called "realist" who wants a "compromise". That is not the ERG position and quite rightly because as Theresa May showed when the UK is in a position of seeking a "compromise" that means the UK making all the compromises. A genuine compromise only occurs when, like with Boris and Frost (and Truss seems willing to do the same) the UK stands firmly behind its own position and only then genuine are negotiations are able to happen.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1547671189815930880?s=21&t=nbNibvK_TSCTFWhbdCUo1Q

Nadine Dorries tells @Channel4 about Liz Truss, whom she is supporting for Tory leader:

“They call her a hand grenade because she gets things done.”

That is one of the dumbest things I've read in awhile.

This discussion has been closed.