Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Political Love Island – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

In Italy, with temps at 36, no one was outside and every shutter was closed.

Also interesting to hear the advice about keeping south facing windows closed - would never occur to me that having them open would increase temperatures.

Yes - keep them closed and close curtains. The room never gets warm and so you have a cool dark room at the end of the day.

Sadly even with that regime the "never gets warm" is NOT operative for my humble abode.

Worst is when heat wave never cools down at night to (at least) 70F or so. So apartment coolest my apartment will get is say 75%. At 6am.

Part of the problem is that the building itself gets heated up after four or five days. But only part.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    Andy_JS said:

Funny how the Tory leadership contest is going to reach boiling point on Monday and Tuesday when it's going to be 39 degrees in London.

Yes, the BBC just predicted 39C in London on Tuesday. That - tho they didn't mention it - is an all-time UK heat record
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    Andy_JS said:

Eabhal said:

At what temperature do we get an address to the nation by Boris? 40?

And from the Queen? 45? Will lead to quite a contrast across the country, lovely temperatures in Edinburgh at the mo.

I wonder whether it might be a good idea to close down those London Underground lines that don't have air conditioning. Even in the middle of winter they can be uncomfortably hot, especially the Bakerloo Line around the Charing Cross stations. It might not be sensible for people to be down there if it's 39 degrees outside IMO.
    Won't they be cooler than at the surface, though?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    carnforth said:

Ireland grumpy that asylum seekers are using the Common Travel Area to seek asylum there instead of the UK to avoid being sent to Rwanda:

https://www.politico.eu/article/micheal-martin-ireland-ukraine-war-refugees-uk-rwanda-policy/

Not sure what the Common Travel Area has to do with it. Non-UK and non-Irish citizens still require a visa for each country separately. I remember being on a coach to Ireland once and all the passports being checked carefully. And a colleague I worked with recently had to change her plan to visit Ireland on holiday because her husband couldn't get a visa for Ireland, though they were working in London on an IT work visa at the time.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Tory London Mayoral candidate last year
    Not him. Who is Badenoch?
    Somebody who broke the law, which is why Boris Johnson should have gone, and it should also rule out Sunak.
    I think that is tough on Sunak. I think he genuinely did get ambushed by a cake. He is not Boris.
    He shouldn’t have accepted his fine, then

He’s a convict as much as Johnson

ps I agree, but he’s made the wrong judgement and has to take the consequences
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

I would put the real odds at

Mordaunt, 45%
    Rishi, 35%
    Truss, 25%
    Others, 5%

:lol:
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

What is that "1 character short" thing. Just stopped me posting for an hour

I think it happens when you post an image but without any text
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Funny how the Tory leadership contest is going to reach boiling point on Monday and Tuesday when it's going to be 39 degrees in London.

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Heat Wave
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0GDQrK2jo
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Andy_JS said:

"Stay at home" might be a good message for the government to give to people on Monday and Tuesday.

Especially if they are a tory MP travelling to Westminster in order to vote against 'continuity Boris'.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

But will you be eating your hat?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Also interesting to hear the advice about keeping south facing windows closed - would never occur to me that having them open would increase temperatures.

Yes - keep them closed and close curtains. The room never gets warm and so you have a cool dark room at the end of the day.
    "Never gets warm?" This is an exaggeration to put it mildly, unless perhaps you live in a very old stone cottage.

The modern British home is custom built to trap heat, because they're all constructed to deal with wet, chilly days not roasting hot ones. Hardly any of them have been built with such conditions in mind.

It's really all about damage limitation: trying to make the interior of one's home hot rather than actually lethal.
    Trapping heat is identical to trapping cool. Keep all your windows and door shut, and a well insulated house will do a fine job of keeping the heat out.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, the BBC just predicted 39C in London on Tuesday. That - tho they didn't mention it - is an all-time UK heat record
    Have just noticed we are predicted 25 and 26 over Sunday to Tuesday on the Met Office site.
    So what you say? That's not much.
    But that is a serious upgrade on 24 hours ago.
    We.were set for 22 and 23 then.
    So. The heat seems to be firming up.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991
    Andy_JS said:

"Stay at home" might be a good message for the government to give to people on Monday and Tuesday.

Am I a bad person for hoping that JRM refuses to work from home next Monday and Tuesday and melts down into a greasy pool of shit?
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Mordaunt, 45%
    Rishi, 35%
    Truss, 25%
    Others, 5%

I hope for the sake of those betting that the overround at the bookies is lower.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Sadly even with that regime the "never gets warm" is NOT operative for my humble abode.

Worst is when heat wave never cools down at night to (at least) 70F21C or so...
    FIFY

• Options
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

What is that "1 character short" thing. Just stopped me posting for an hour

I think it happens when you post an image but without any text
    Have had it happen to me with zero image posting. So at least not sole explanation.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    edited July 2022

carnforth said:

Ireland grumpy that asylum seekers are using the Common Travel Area to seek asylum there instead of the UK to avoid being sent to Rwanda:

https://www.politico.eu/article/micheal-martin-ireland-ukraine-war-refugees-uk-rwanda-policy/

Not sure what the Common Travel Area has to do with it. Non-UK and non-Irish citizens still require a visa for each country separately. I remember being on a coach to Ireland once and all the passports being checked carefully. And a colleague I worked with recently had to change her plan to visit Ireland on holiday because her husband couldn't get a visa for Ireland, though they were working in London on an IT work visa at the time.
    Your colleagues could have taken a ferry to Northern Ireland and then the train to Dublin. Illegal, but nothing to actually stop them.

An asylum seeker in England can take the ferry to NI as a foot passenger with any photo ID from any country - no passport required.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857

Mordaunt, 45%
    Rishi, 35%
    Truss, 25%
    Others, 5%

I hope for the sake of those betting that the overround at the bookies is lower.
    Hehe
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,649
    edited July 2022
    The pub runs (18z) so far from the ICON and GFS models max out at 41C and 42C respectively next Tuesday.

Will actually, like it or not, put net zero on the minds of journalists covering the leadership campaign.
  • Options

Mordaunt, 45%
    Rishi, 35%
    Truss, 25%
    Others, 5%

You are Nadhim Dorries and I claim my 110 kilograms

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Have just noticed we are predicted 25 and 26 over Sunday to Tuesday on the Met Office site.
    So what you say? That's not much.
    But that is a serious upgrade on 24 hours ago.
    We.were set for 22 and 23 then.
    So. The heat seems to be firming up.
    If the BBC is officially predicting 39C for London then it's 50/50 that 40C will be broken somewhere - ie the usual places: Heathrow, Gravesend, Cambridge...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

"Never gets warm?" This is an exaggeration to put it mildly, unless perhaps you live in a very old stone cottage.

The modern British home is custom built to trap heat, because they're all constructed to deal with wet, chilly days not roasting hot ones. Hardly any of them have been built with such conditions in mind.

It's really all about damage limitation: trying to make the interior of one's home hot rather than actually lethal.
    Trapping heat is identical to trapping cool. Keep all your windows and door shut, and a well insulated house will do a fine job of keeping the heat out.
    The average human generates about 100W of heat continuously. Your fridge will also dump heat into your house, as will, most obviously, any cooking that you do, or hot water that you use for washing dishes, or yourself. If you can't lose this heat to the outside world, then your house will warm up over time.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

The average human generates about 100W of heat continuously. Your fridge will also dump heat into your house, as will, most obviously, any cooking that you do, or hot water that you use for washing dishes, or yourself. If you can't lose this heat to the outside world, then your house will warm up over time.
    Of course: but that 100W takes a fair while to heat the house.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Scott_xP said:

The headbangers really want Truss as the continuity BoZo.

And so does Starmer...

If the ERG inflict Truss on us when we could have Penny or Kemi they will deserve the defeat that's coming their way in 2024.

Conservatives really do need a spell in opposition anyway mind you. In the long term Kemi would be much more successful taking a defeated party and rebuilding it in her image through opposition to government.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

"well insulated" being the critical factor. Lacking that, gotta get VERY creative. OR invest in A/C.

OR rent a motel room with A/C . . . if you can find AND afford one . . .

Plenty of showering also helps (and if male, shaving). Swamp (evaporative) coolers also good, which you can rig up with box fan & wet towel (use cold water!)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1547671189815930880?s=21&t=nbNibvK_TSCTFWhbdCUo1Q

Nadine Dorries tells @Channel4 about Liz Truss, whom she is supporting for Tory leader:

“They call her a hand grenade because she gets things done.”

They call her a hand grenade because she could blow up her own party!
    Who are you backing now HYUFD?
    Apologies if you've already said.
  • Options

Mordaunt, 45%
    Rishi, 35%
    Truss, 25%
    Others, 5%

You are Nadhim Dorries and I claim my 110 kilograms

110 kilograms is a good weight for a rugby player. Hard for the server to hit the stumps from the penalty spot, even if they tee off in pole position.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

You are reading my mind. And echoing my experience.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    stodge said:

Conservative leadership contender Kemi Badenoch joined Iain Dale to take your calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wxf-bXqS5s

===

She's is brilliant in this. But she is not ready to be PM. Got to be a top place in next Cabinet though. With a few more years of maturity the Tories have a star on their hands.

I tried to watch it but the grovelling and simpering of Iain Dale was totally off-putting. I was waiting for "no, no, not the comfy chair" to be honest.

I look forward to her facing some serious and forensic questioning. Her comments on "Support Assistants" in classrooms got her in some trouble and while she walked back from it I wasn't wholly convinced.

It's doubly awkward because while it's obvious Gove would be in a very senior position in a Badenoch Cabinet, she's probably also realised keeping your friends close is fine but having your enemies closer isn't a bad idea,
    Dale is poor if not very poor.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

I am suddenly hearing Flanders and Swann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbiVw_1FNs
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I may end up supporting Liz Truss even though she wasn't one of my original choices for leader. Disappointing but that's life.

Why?
  • Options
    One way to beat the heat . . . after the sun goes down anyway . . .

The Drifters - Up on the Roof
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puM1k-S86nE
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1547671189815930880?s=21&t=nbNibvK_TSCTFWhbdCUo1Q

Nadine Dorries tells @Channel4 about Liz Truss, whom she is supporting for Tory leader:

Tugendhat, if he goes out Mordaunt or Sunak v Truss, probably Sunak v Mordaunt
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,846
    edited July 2022
    Continuity Johnson is a wonderful gift to Labour which I should celebrate but simply can’t .

Truss will be a puppet and the ERG will pull the strings as she desperately tries to prove her Leave credentials by starting a trade war with the EU and embarking on another two years of divisive politics .

Any sane Tory MP needs to get a grip and ensure Truss does not make the final 2 .

• Options

stodge said:

Conservative leadership contender Kemi Badenoch joined Iain Dale to take your calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wxf-bXqS5s

===

She's is brilliant in this. But she is not ready to be PM. Got to be a top place in next Cabinet though. With a few more years of maturity the Tories have a star on their hands.

I tried to watch it but the grovelling and simpering of Iain Dale was totally off-putting. I was waiting for "no, no, not the comfy chair" to be honest.

I look forward to her facing some serious and forensic questioning. Her comments on "Support Assistants" in classrooms got her in some trouble and while she walked back from it I wasn't wholly convinced.

It's doubly awkward because while it's obvious Gove would be in a very senior position in a Badenoch Cabinet, she's probably also realised keeping your friends close is fine but having your enemies closer isn't a bad idea,
    Dale is poor if not very poor.
    The trouble with the media is none of them are poor.
    Put them on UC or minimum wage and their priorities for questioning would change.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    nico679 said:

Continuity Johnson is a wonderful gift to Labour which I should celebrate but simply can’t .

Truss will be a puppet and the ERG will pull the strings as she desperately tries to prove her Leave credentials by starting a trade war with the EU and embarking on another two years of divisive politics .

Any sane Tory MP needs to get a grip and ensure Truss does not make the final 2 .

Truss won't be continuity Johnson, Johnson was a big spender, Truss wants to slash spending. She is just as pro hard Brexit as Boris if not more so but even more anti Woke and significantly more Thatcherite on economics
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

The old trick of closing the curtains and windows all day in the bedrooms is effective because it prevents the Sun's rays entering the room and warming up items, which then radiate as heat energy, heating the air. Keeping the door closed will also stop warm air to some extent from entering the room from the rest of the house. It will provide you with a chance of a cooler room to get to sleep in at the end of the day.

The other option is to temporarily sleep downstairs if you can, where it's cooler anyay.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks. I did mean since Tugendhat is pretty much done now btw.
    Was aware you were supporting him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

You're so strange. Wouldn't it have been easier to just make a list?
    1. Tugendhat
    2. Sunak
    3. Mordaunt
    4. Truss
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

There may be a fair few Tory MPs thinking it's nice that Mark Francois with his 31K majority is recommending Liz Truss but we can't go for it.
    nico679 said:

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited July 2022
    Couple of by elections in so far.
    LD hold in Yeovil with a double digit drop in tory vote and 8% swing
    Labour hold in North Tyneside but Tory vote up and a 6% swing to them since May
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Truss won't be continuity Johnson, Johnson was a big spender, Truss wants to slash spending. She is just as hard on Brexit as Boris if not more so but even more anti Woke and significantly more Thatcherite on economics
    So in effect the perfect candidate for Starmer to run against ! As much as it pains me I’d rather Sunak and Mordaunt make the final 2 even though it would make Labours job more difficult .

• Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

The old trick of closing the curtains and windows all day in the bedrooms is effective because it prevents the Sun's rays entering the room and warming up items, which then radiate as heat energy, heating the air. Keeping the door closed will also stop warm air to some extent from entering the room from the rest of the house. It will provide you with a chance of a cooler room to get to sleep in at the end of the day.

The other option is to temporarily sleep downstairs if you can, where it's cooler anyay.
    Luckily in West Wales you can quite easily subtract 10 degrees C from the South East temp due to the presence of the Irish Sea and Milford Haven waterway.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Indeed, it’s a turning into a physical endurance test as to who can best handle the heat. At least the female candidates can wear a short dress.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The issue is there is continuity Johnson from the 3 frontrunners. Each seems to be an emanation of one side of his shape shifting character.
    None is a completely clean break from it.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    nico679 said:

IDK, once she's PM they can't really do a leadership election again so I think she can do whatever she wants. And she wants to win the next election, so she'll do whatever she thinks will help with that. I doubt that's a trade war with the EU.
  • Options
    In Seattle we have number of issues that exacerbate the impact of heat waves, compared to rest of US:

> generally mild winters and (at least through 20th-century) mild summers;
    > relatively cheap electricity (hydro-electric provided by municipal utility);
    > hence traditionally not much insulation and less air conditioning.

Worth mentioning that, for us, the North Pacific is the Great Moderator. Keeps it from getting sub-freezing as a rule in winter. And in the summer it's Nature's A/C. PROVIDE there is ON-shore air flow (from the Pacific inland) as opposed to OFF-shore (from deserts of Eastern WA into Puget Sound).

• Options
    edited July 2022
    And 2 more Lab holds in Wallasey with all votes pretty static and in Hyndburn with a small swing to Tories whos vote is up 4% from May.
    Tory vote in the North resilient tonight
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Con hold in Zahawis Stratford but big swing to LD
    Arden (Warwickshire) By-Election Result:

CON: 59.3% (-14.7)
    LDM: 31.5% (+24.3)
    LAB: 9.2% (-0.8)

No GRN (-8.9) as previous.

Conservative HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2021.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

The issue is there is continuity Johnson from the 3 frontrunners. Each seems to be an emanation of one side of his shape shifting character.
    Truss is a truly awful individual who would be catastrophic for EU UK relations . That’s why the EU weren’t jumping for joy when Johnson was given his P45 , mindful that the Tories could always deliver someone just as bad or worse .
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Still Badenoch being offered sub 40 :D

Are the backers expecting Liz to shit herself live on TV or something ?
  • Options

And 2 more Lab holds in Wallasey with all votes pretty static and in Hyndburn with a small swing to Tories whos vote is up 4% from May.
    Tory vote in the North resilient tonight

Reform down 9 pp and Tories picking up less than half of that. Probably not the good news you're looking for.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Every place is different. So key thing to do, is TAKE STOCK of your specific situation, and take sensible action BEFORE the heat wave hits.

In Seattle, plenty of houses & apts have skylights. Good idea to do what you can to block them temporarily.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

In Seattle we have number of issues that exacerbate the impact of heat waves, compared to rest of US:

> generally mild winters and (at least through 20th-century) mild summers;
    > relatively cheap electricity (hydro-electric provided by municipal utility);
    > hence traditionally not much insulation and less air conditioning.

Worth mentioning that, for us, the North Pacific is the Great Moderator. Keeps it from getting sub-freezing as a rule in winter. And in the summer it's Nature's A/C. PROVIDE there is ON-shore air flow (from the Pacific inland) as opposed to OFF-shore (from deserts of Eastern WA into Puget Sound).

I don'k know about the rest of the UK, but Seattle and London have pretty similar weather. The summers in Seattle are slightly hotter, and you get a bit more sunshine, but it's not really that different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Climate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Climate
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    MrEd said:

There may be a fair few Tory MPs thinking it's nice that Mark Francois with his 31K majority is recommending Liz Truss but we can't go for it.

nico679 said:

With any luck a Sunday paper will have done some polling matchups vs Labour and Truss’s figures will be dire, just to hammer the point home
  • Options

The party is really determined to choose a loser isn't it?

It couldn't be clearer that Penny is the candidate for the Tories. She's who I fear the most as a Labour member but the country is more important - she might actually do a good job and get us off these pointless culture wars.

Agree with all that. She’s the hardest to beat but the country is more important. The Tory press seem determined to do an IDS on her. Pretty sickening stuff from the Mail tonight.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

Robin Millar MP, backer of Braverman, says he is undecided.
    Migration and ECHR will decide his vote.
    Cost of living, guys? At all? Anyone?

No. The Conservative Party is totally lost in the woods. Actually quite sad to see. It's a bit like Corbyn-era Labour, only it's not centred around one "absolute boy". It's just they've all gone mad at the same time. It's a contagious hysteria.
    But what's the answer to cost of living? I recognise that it's a big problem, but it doesn't strike me there's any great cleavage in how to address it.
    That's easy:

The best way to get the cost of living down is to defeat Putin. Because only when Putin is defeated and Russia withdraws from Ukraine, can the oil and gas start to flow again (and, of course, this also means grain will be shipped from Ukraine).
    But it seems as though Liz Truss is the candidate most determined to defeat Putin, of the leading three contenders. Given the general pro-Ukrainian consensus on pb, it makes the general anti-Truss consensus a bit odd.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't think a Conservative PM is ever likely to impress me very much, so on one level it doesn't matter too much who wins it. All of them will do things I disagree with. But Ukraine is incredibly important, and if there's any hint of a scintilla of backsliding from whoever replaces Johnson - I'd have to regret that he was pushed out.

I'm a bit worried by Sunak on this. He has the air of being a "realist", and wanting to reach an accommodation so that the problem will go away. I have absolutely no idea what Mordaunt's position is. That might make me the most pro-Truss poster here. Which is a bit odd.

I'm kinda waiting for Wallace to show his hand and anoint the candidate who is most steadfast in support of Ukraine.
    Why the hell do you think Mordaunt is less keen on defeating Putin??? I actually think there wouldn't be a fag paper between Boris and Mordaunt and Truss on Ukraine.

Sunak less convincing on Ukraine. Deserves to lose for that reason alone.

The ERG remind me of the Judean People's Front Suicide Squad.

"That'll show em!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUHk2RSMCS8
  • Options

The fucking state of the Mail’s hit job on Mordaunt. First picture up, Penny waving a Pride flag. No so much of a dog whistle as a loudhailer.

I really want her to win now.

The problem here is she's dissembled about it as Cyclefree alludes.
    This opens the door for bullying by the Mail.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Indeed, it’s a turning into a physical endurance test as to who can best handle the heat. At least the female candidates can wear a short dress.
    All candidates have option of wearing well-soaked pith helmet.

They work! (Have one that is spiting image of one WSC wore visiting Desert Rats).

PLUS gives "true" Tories proper "only mad dogs and Englishmen / go out in the noonday sun" Empire loyalist look.

Noël Coward - Mad Dogs and Englishmen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifLPGi4X6A
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    Pulpstar said:

Still Badenoch being offered sub 40 :D

Are the backers expecting Liz to shit herself live on TV or something ?

On past performances, a definite possibility!
  • Options

It couldn't be clearer that Penny is the candidate for the Tories. She's who I fear the most as a Labour member but the country is more important - she might actually do a good job and get us off these pointless culture wars.

Country over party, I think the Tories should pick Truss.

She is in my opinion the best candidate for the country, and the best person to be PM. But I'm not convinced she'd win an election, but that's not really my concern since I'm not backing the Tories anymore, but I might again if Truss wins.

Wallet over country, I still want Rishi to win. Sorry.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

Truss is a truly awful individual who would be catastrophic for EU UK relations . That’s why the EU weren’t jumping for joy when Johnson was given his P45 , mindful that the Tories could always deliver someone just as bad or worse .
    For: "a truly awful individual who would be catastrophic for EU UK relations"
    Read: "a truly good individual that would put the UK interest before EU UK relations"

Macron doesn't hesitate to put French interests first and so he should, he's the President of France. The least we should expect of the UK PM is they'd do the same and stop pissing about trying to have "good relations". That's one thing Boris got right and I think Truss could be even better if she gets it. 👍
  • Options

She is in my opinion the best candidate for the country, and the best person to be PM. But I'm not convinced she'd win an election, but that's not really my concern since I'm not backing the Tories anymore, but I might again if Truss wins.

Kudos for your honesty. I'm not really getting the Truss hate.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Tooting Broadway (Wandsworth) By-Election Result:

LAB: 62.2% (+1.6)
    CON: 21.4% (+2.8)
    GRN: 12.4% (-2.5)
    LDM: 4.1% (-2.0)

Labour HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2022.

Tooting a comfortable lab hold

General pattern tonight with 2 to come is Con vote collapsing/big drops where LD challenging/in the South, fairly static versus labour/further north. Means nothing as usual but an interesting cross section.
    Still expect lab to gain one in Trusses seat
  • Options

Truss would lead the Tories to their worst defeat since 1997 and 2001, she is too pro spending cuts for the redwall and too hard Brexit and anti Woke for the bluewall
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Betfair starting to look a bit saner - Mordaunt out to 2.06, Truss steady on 3.7, Sunak back in to 4.7 (still too long). The three debates will be pretty important for MP attitudes, I think, and pretty unpredictable, so they should probably all three be about 3.0. Badenuch at 36 is not insane but it does need two of the others to un-impress.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

Me neither. As I've said a few times, this is someone who has been in the Cabinet for a decade, has held some of the biggest jobs in that time, from Lord Chancellor to Foreign Secretary . . . and all her critics ever come back to is she spoke oddly while DEFRA Secretary nearly a decade ago in a speech about cheese and pork markets.

Like him or loathe him, Boris's critics had a litany of reasons they disliked him that was virtually endless. Truss made a funny speech about a decade ago and . . . that's about it. That's all her opponents ever harp on about, from a decade as a big beast at the top of Government all she's done wrong is say "that is a disgrace" nearly a decade ago. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Truss would lead the Tories to their worst defeat since 1997 and 2001, she is too pro spending cuts for the redwall and too hard Brexit and anti Woke for the bluewall
    So what?

If all the Tories are going to offer is Labour's economic policies with a blue rosette we might as well have a Labour government anyway.

At least then we can have a Tory opposition waiting to pick up the pieces, rather than socialists waiting for when the Government implementing Labour's policies falls.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056
    rcs1000 said:

Sell Truss.

I’ll offer three camels and a goat
    Camels are pretty expensive - are you sure you want to go that high?
    Has Newsom increases taxes again then?

3 camels from a pack of 20 should be doable

• Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    Truss is notorious amongst Parliamentary staffers for being a vindictive bully, and if she becomes PM I expect a lot of the really bad comments will go public.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

Betfair starting to look a bit saner - Mordaunt out to 2.06, Truss steady on 3.7, Sunak back in to 4.7 (still too long). The three debates will be pretty important for MP attitudes, I think, and pretty unpredictable, so they should probably all three be about 3.0. Badenuch at 36 is not insane but it does need two of the others to un-impress.

If Badenoch blows away at the tv debate then all bets are off I reckon.

Gotta be the value bet tonight,
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Me neither. As I've said a few times, this is someone who has been in the Cabinet for a decade, has held some of the biggest jobs in that time, from Lord Chancellor to Foreign Secretary . . . and all her critics ever come back to is she spoke oddly while DEFRA Secretary nearly a decade ago in a speech about cheese and pork markets.

Like him or loathe him, Boris's critics had a litany of reasons they disliked him that was virtually endless. Truss made a funny speech about a decade ago and . . . that's about it. That's all her opponents ever harp on about, from a decade as a big beast at the top of Government all she's done wrong is say "that is a disgrace" nearly a decade ago. 🤷‍♂️
    And tbf. That was about her peculiar cadence. She isn't a good public speaker. That is a fair critique. But then I thought Boris was poor. A forest of ums and errs disguised by the odd memorable phrase.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

MrEd said:

nico679 said:

With any luck a Sunday paper will have done some polling matchups vs Labour and Truss’s figures will be dire, just to hammer the point home
    There was polling last week, where Truss v Starmer was dire (-12pts)

But Mourdant v Starmer was worse (-15pts)

It was the poll the Sunak campaign used, as he was the only one who came out of it well (+1pt)
  • Options

nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

Read: "a truly good individual that would put the UK interest before EU UK relations"

Macron doesn't hesitate to put French interests first and so he should, he's the President of France. The least we should expect of the UK PM is they'd do the same and stop pissing about trying to have "good relations". That's one thing Boris got right and I think Truss could be even better if she gets it. 👍
    I suspect Truss would be quite pragmatic, and while firm with championing British interests would probably do it while not rubbing people up the wrong way quite so much.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

On the flip side she could be asked about detail.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Truss is notorious amongst Parliamentary staffers for being a vindictive bully, and if she becomes PM I expect a lot of the really bad comments will go public.

She's definitely got the feel of a Gordon Brown about her... Something's just not quite right...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

When the Tories start electing clear no-hopers over clear winners for nothing more than ideological purity you know Opposition is looming...
    I think my post is the rare one of mine to get likes from across the spectrum, have I become a centrist?
  • Options
    Supposedly Truss has slept with most of the Tory Party but I am not sure if this just a silly rumour.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

I am so sorry for all those offended by adverts at Waterloo Station that Kemi won’t be winning

Yet they are quite happy to cause permanent offence to our second closest international neighbours by continuing to call it Waterloo. Bit selective on the offence front methinks.
    We should rename all our terminals: Waterloo, Agincourt, Crecy, and Treaty of Troyes.
    How could you forget Picquigny and Trafalgar?
    And Blenheim.
    I do love the war of the Spanish succession

The English and the Dutch teamed up to fight the French over who got to be king of Spain. Using Germany as the battleground.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

So Suella is out and the momentum continues to be with Mordaunt who picked up the most extra support in terms of new MPs backing since the first round.

However some suspicion she is too woke, not only from Cyclefree it seems but also Toby Young

https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1547533888968445954?s=20&t=VlJvvsBJS3PZSn9cpkcVvA

If only Cyclefree and Toby Young were at the leading edge of the zeitgeist?
    It's her honesty I have a major issue with. Not her "wokeness" whatever the hell that means. I regard myself as socially liberal.

But lying and untrustworthiness: no - that's not on for me. Also I dislike PR bullshit and spin. The city is full of bullshit merchants. Some solid quiet achievement beats that any day of the week.

Solid quiet achievement doesn’t get rewarded in the city

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Binley & Willenhall (Coventry) By-Election Result:

LAB: 36.2% (-5.1)
    CON: 29.6% (+0.7)
    CCP: 28.9% (+9.6)
    ADF: 3.5% (+1.8)
    TUSC: 1.8% (New)

No GRN (-7.1) as previous.

Labour HOLD.
    Changes w/ 2022

Uninspiring Lab hold.in Coventry.

Just the Thetford/Truss result to come and they count in the morning
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

When the Tories start electing clear no-hopers over clear winners for nothing more than ideological purity you know Opposition is looming...
    I think my post is the rare one of mine to get likes from across the spectrum, have I become a centrist?
    You're doing just fine. As Tory unpopularity grows you'll find more and more fellow Labour supporters joining you on here.

#PBTories will be a diminishing group (at least for a while ;) )
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,422
    dixiedean said:

By the time it comes to Sky debate there can only be 4 left? Better write 5 name plates, and just bin one
  • Options
    edited July 2022

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

I am so sorry for all those offended by adverts at Waterloo Station that Kemi won’t be winning

Yet they are quite happy to cause permanent offence to our second closest international neighbours by continuing to call it Waterloo. Bit selective on the offence front methinks.
    We should rename all our terminals: Waterloo, Agincourt, Crecy, and Treaty of Troyes.
    And Blenheim.
    I do love the war of the Spanish succession

The English and the Dutch teamed up to fight the French over who got to be king of Spain. Using Germany as the battleground.

Prussia fought with us, Bavaria with France
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Supposedly Truss has slept with most of the Tory Party but I am not sure if this just a silly rumour.

I think you should withdraw that allegation. And I find it very distasteful when people assume that just because a woman has made a success of business or politics, that sex might have something to do with it.
    To be honest I originally read it on here - but I am happy to withdraw it with an apology to Ms Truss. I would not want to attack her in this way.

I wasn't suggesting she was successful because of sex but I can see how it might have come across that way.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    rcs1000 said:

I think you should withdraw that allegation. And I find it very distasteful when people assume that just because a woman has made a success of business or politics, that sex might have something to do with it.
    What a shocking thing to say
  • Options

Wasn't this all leaked a few years ago, I am sure I have read about this before.
  • Options
    And if we want to be balanced, Johnson seems to have slept with most of the Tory Party too - and indeed people from lots of other places too, it isn't about gender.

But no surprise to see the usual suspect jump on the bandwagon, yawn.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

I suspect Truss would be quite pragmatic, and while firm with championing British interests would probably do it while not rubbing people up the wrong way quite so much.
    I expect you're right. While being firm with the NI issue she's kept an olive branch out for the EU all along and her red/green lane solution is quite a good one. I expect the Truss and the EU would be able to reach a face-saving solution along those lines, even if its not the solution they'd have wanted.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,422
    dixiedean said:

To be serious for a second, she could be asked about UKs commitment to climate change on day of record breaking heat dominating news. Net Zero 50 is not a yes or no question - it’s what is the detail of what you suggest in its place, question. And to be fair, we have to listen to and consider it.
  • Options

For the record, she hasn't slept with me.
    As I said, I am happy to withdraw it, I originally did read it on here.
  • Options

For the record, she hasn't slept with me.
    LOL!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Rename stations at random. Penge East could be 'Siege of Rouen Halt'
    'Culloden' would be nice for Euston or King's Cross, and help make our Scots friends feel at home. South Greenford could be 'Brunanburh'.
    Why not set a good example for others - something of an English specialty, at least in English eyes - by naming stations for British DEFEATS. Symbolic of recognizing reality then moving fearlessly forward.

Yorktown Station? Idsandlwana Station? Gallipoli Station? Singapore Station?
    Isandhlwana ...

Well, Hastings/Battle and Dunkirk were defeats ...
    Defeats for whom? We're most of us heirs to the Norman invasion. And there's a niche view that said conquest was in part Breton revenge on the Saxon invasion hundreds of years earlier. Certainly William was interested in that theme in the buildup to the invasion when trying to drum up support from his westerly neighbours.

The language we use today is replete with French/Latin-originated words giving a higher class sense and Saxon/Nordic ones giving a lower class sense.
    Judge v deem
    Verdant v green
    Chef v cook
    Chamber v room
    Prohibit v ban

and so on
    or should I say et cetera?
    Class divide much clearer with food

Pork vs swine
    Beef vs cow

etc
This discussion has been closed.