Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Political Love Island – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,743

Eabhal said:

At what temperature do we get an address to the nation by Boris? 40?

And from the Queen? 45? Will lead to quite a contrast across the country, lovely temperatures in Edinburgh at the mo.

Very pleasant in the south today too. 24°C max today in rural Dorset.

It's next Monday/Tuesday that it gets unpleasantly warm down here.
    It was a lovely day in central London today too. Early next week looks brutal.
    Was at London Zoo today. Not bad at all.

Still bracing myself for having to cancel my Inverness trip on Tuesday.
    Why don’t you head for Inverness as few days early, and tick off the Kyle and Wick/Thurso lines? Especially as @Leon won’t be in Wick yet.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    Frost's views on front page of Telegraph.

WTF?

Who?

Maybe he is being viewed as Johnson's views on earth?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,337
    The headbangers really want Truss as the continuity BoZo.

And so does Starmer...
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705

Toms said:

Just to inject a bit of irrelevance, and to prove my bone-headed Anglo Saxonness I submit the following---:

Groucho Marx once chaired an American radio quiz show and would ask the loser for a booby prize "who is buried in Grant's tomb?"

Well, I once asked someone where the Bayeux Tapestry was.

The Bayeux Tapestry, famously, isn’t a tapestry and wasn’t made in Bayeux.
    But the "The" is ok, at least, right?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,200

Conservative leadership contender Kemi Badenoch joined Iain Dale to take your calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wxf-bXqS5s

===

She's is brilliant in this. But she is not ready to be PM. Got to be a top place in next Cabinet though. With a few more years of maturity the Tories have a star on their hands.

Yeah that is what I thought as well. Very likeable and down to earth. But difficult to see her making a success of being leader of the party and PM; getting stuff done involves continuous compromise, and she needs more experience. I'd still probably vote for her though, if I had the opportunity.

What has been interesting is that she has got respect over the past few days from people from all sides of the political spectrum when discussed on PB. The contrast with Braverman and Truss is quite something.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,051
    OnboardG1 said:
    The first politician to resign over Partygate.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    From a betting standpoint, this contest is probably one of the hardest to judge.

It is entirely possible now that the value bet is selling PM - the attacks on her seem to be pretty orchestrated and both the Sunak and Truss camps have their reasons for wishing her out (RS probably sees Truss - rightly - as the easier to beat).

On the other hand, this Tory cohort has an exceptionally high number of MPs who are vulnerable to swings of 4-5%. They must be worrying that getting the choice wrong really does mean curtains for their career.

In that regards, the biggest risk now for Truss is herself. If she fucks it up in the televised debates, there are going to.be a lot of MPs thinking "I'm going to lose my seat if she's PM". I noticed Steve Baker's endorsement was not exactly ringing. And looking at the comments (admittedly on Guido), a lot of the crowd are unhappy about Braverman backing Truss, essentially saying she's been bought off (which is probably right).

Still a lot to play for here.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525
    Leon said:

Conservative leadership contender Kemi Badenoch joined Iain Dale to take your calls.

===

She's is brilliant in this. But she is not ready to be PM. Got to be a top place in next Cabinet though. With a few more years of maturity the Tories have a star on their hands.

Wow. She is REALLY impressive

But maybe 5 years too soon? Don't want her to be a Hague - who would have made a great prime minister if he had only waited - much better than David Cameron

But yes, she needs a front rank position. Home Secretary? At the very least Education Secretary?
    She did great. Mordaunt also did great.
    dixiedean said:

Robin Millar MP, backer of Braverman, says he is undecided.
    Migration and ECHR will decide his vote.
    Cost of living, guys? At all? Anyone?

I doubt they will get far in the tv debates without addressing the energy bill crisis. But i expect a load of platitudes and no actual policies.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,137
    Eabhal said:

In Italy, with temps at 36, no one was outside and every shutter was closed.

Also interesting to hear the advice about keeping south facing windows closed - would never occur to me that having them open would increase temperatures.

Living in apt with ONLY south facing windows, it occurred to me . .. first summer after I moved in.

Just had reflective film installed. Was using tin foil (!) to block the sun out, in addition to blinds.

And might still need to resort to the foil even with the film, depending conditions.

Once place gets heated up NO WAY to cool it down, until the outside temp is less than inside; during heatwaves this may not be until after midnight . . .

Right now it's a sunny, pleasant day in Seattle. Air temperature 79F/26C but temp on my porch in sun 89F/32C while indoor temp 73F/23C. With film but without foil.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    edited July 2022
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

And from the Queen? 45? Will lead to quite a contrast across the country, lovely temperatures in Edinburgh at the mo.

Any chance you could come up a bit earlier? If you get the timing right you'll miss the worst of it.

Apparently the midgies aren't that bad at the mo, so could have a great weekend (rumours that climate change could end them).
    Looks like Monday isn't going to be much better, but thanks any way! Have trains from Inverness booked Wednesday (Far North) and Thursday (Kyle). If only I'd gone THIS week!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,337
    IanB2 said:

This is the Met Office take on the chances of 40C, from their youtube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2TCNLtLItk

TLDR: No.
    The video is 86 seconds long, and that's not what they say.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    Leon said:

===

Wow. She is REALLY impressive

But maybe 5 years too soon? Don't want her to be a Hague - who would have made a great prime minister if he had only waited - much better than David Cameron
    Paradoxically that might be less of a problem for her going in as PM than if the Tories were choosing a leader of the opposition.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,977

Betfair next PM:-

1.85 Penny Mordaunt 54%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    150 Tom Tugendhat
    290 Dominic Raab

Liz returns to second favourite; Kemi goes for a walk.

1.87 Penny Mordaunt 53%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    44 Kemi Badenoch
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    1.92 Penny Mordaunt 52%
    4.2 Liz Truss 24%
    4.9 Rishi Sunak 20%
    27 Kemi Badenoch
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,806
    Scott_xP said:

And so does Starmer...

Truss reminds me of Benjamin Button.

Toms said:

Just to inject a bit of irrelevance, and to prove my bone-headed Anglo Saxonness I submit the following---:

Groucho Marx once chaired an American radio quiz show and would ask the loser for a booby prize "who is buried in Grant's tomb?"

But the "The" is ok, at least, right?
    The inventor of Actor-Network Theory once said that there are 4 problems with Actor-Network Theory: the word actor, the word network, the word theory and the dash between the words actor and network.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Any chance you could come up a bit earlier? If you get the timing right you'll miss the worst of it.

Apparently the midgies aren't that bad at the mo, so could have a great weekend (rumours that climate change could end them).
    Looks like Monday isn't going to be much better, but thanks any way! Have trains from Inverness booked Wednesday (Far North) and Thursday (Kyle). If only I'd gone THIS week!
    Enjoy! Remember to bring a warm, waterproof coat. 14C will feel chilly after London temperatures.

Toms said:

Washington Monument isn't a tapestry, nor was it made in Washington DC or in Washington State.

Ditto re: George Washington.

1.85 Penny Mordaunt 54%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    150 Tom Tugendhat
    290 Dominic Raab

1.87 Penny Mordaunt 53%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    44 Kemi Badenoch
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    1.92 Penny Mordaunt 52%
    4.2 Liz Truss 24%
    4.9 Rishi Sunak 20%
    27 Kemi Badenoch
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    Buy Sunak. He has his flaws, but they’re familiar flaws and won’t seem as bad to the selectorate as the new flaws being thrown around about the other candidates. I think he’s a greater than 20% chance.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338
    edited July 2022

IanB2 said:

This is the Met Office take on the chances of 40C, from their youtube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2TCNLtLItk

TLDR: No.
    The video is 86 seconds long, and that's not what they say.
    They say 10% chance of 40°C. Which, coincidentally, was my estimate from earlier today.

Evens the record is broken; <1% chance of @Leon's 43°C imho.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    edited July 2022
    I may end up supporting Liz Truss even though she wasn't one of my original choices for leader. Disappointing but that's life.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Eabhal said:

Also interesting to hear the advice about keeping south facing windows closed - would never occur to me that having them open would increase temperatures.

I think that the general advice is to keep windows shut if the air temperature outside exceeds that inside a building. This makes complete sense: ventilation as an aid to cooling is bound to be worse than useless under such circumstances. Very few homes in the UK will have shutters, but drawing the curtains has some value as well.

OTOH when the heat outside is a bit less volcanic, and there's some kind of breeze to help, then opening the windows to create a through draft can really help, and so can moving about inside a house or flat according to the time of day. The orientation of my building dictates that the bedroom can sometime be quite tolerable during the morning and early afternoon even when the living room is oppressively hot; later in the day the situation is somewhat reversed.

Such coping strategies are still liable to be of limited use, however, when faced with the disgusting conditions predicted for Monday and Tuesday. Mercifully it looks like we get some relief after that.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,892
    Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

No. The Conservative Party is totally lost in the woods. Actually quite sad to see. It's a bit like Corbyn-era Labour, only it's not centred around one "absolute boy". It's just they've all gone mad at the same time. It's a contagious hysteria.
    But what's the answer to cost of living? I recognise that it's a big problem, but it doesn't strike me there's any great cleavage in how to address it.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,139
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

No. The Conservative Party is totally lost in the woods. Actually quite sad to see. It's a bit like Corbyn-era Labour, only it's not centred around one "absolute boy". It's just they've all gone mad at the same time. It's a contagious hysteria.
    But what's the answer to cost of living? I recognise that it's a big problem, but it doesn't strike me there's any great cleavage in how to address it.
    That's easy:

The best way to get the cost of living down is to defeat Putin. Because only when Putin is defeated and Russia withdraws from Ukraine, can the oil and gas start to flow again (and, of course, this also means grain will be shipped from Ukraine).
    Channel 4 The Undeclared War episode 3 twitter troll farm

Teams of three, with lots of false identities; all supposedly British.
    Villain: life is great in Britain
    Saint: everything is falling apart in Britain
    Stooge: agrees with saint.
    All retweeted and amplified by bots.

Most of the episode's dialogue was in Russian btw (with subtitles, obviously).
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

I've flip flopped on this a number of times, but I think you may be right.

It seems to me there's a good chance PM gets squeezed out and it's Truss v Sunak.

As I have said on here before, I think he is a CU.. (and, with the Ukraine, would be a disaster) but my fear is that Truss is so monumentally useless that the party members will feel they have no alternative but to go for him.

As an aside, the shambles today shows why she shouldn't be PM. In a high stress situation, she couldn't find her way in, she couldn't find her way out and she seemed totally robotic in her comments. I would not want someone who appears to freeze in a high stress situation to be anywhere near the nuclear button .

1.85 Penny Mordaunt 54%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    150 Tom Tugendhat
    290 Dominic Raab

1.87 Penny Mordaunt 53%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    44 Kemi Badenoch
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    1.92 Penny Mordaunt 52%
    4.2 Liz Truss 24%
    4.9 Rishi Sunak 20%
    27 Kemi Badenoch
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    Buy Sunak. He has his flaws, but they’re familiar flaws and won’t seem as bad to the selectorate as the new flaws being thrown around about the other candidates. I think he’s a greater than 20% chance.

1.85 Penny Mordaunt 54%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    150 Tom Tugendhat
    290 Dominic Raab

1.87 Penny Mordaunt 53%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    44 Kemi Badenoch
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    1.92 Penny Mordaunt 52%
    4.2 Liz Truss 24%
    4.9 Rishi Sunak 20%
    27 Kemi Badenoch
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    I dunno, he seems a little... short.
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

The Tory answer seems to be whack up the state pension for our client vote and everyone else can go feck themselves.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Eabhal said:

Yes - keep them closed and close curtains. The room never gets warm and so you have a cool dark room at the end of the day.

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132

Politician lies, Atlas shrugs.
    Cyclefree particularly not a Penny fan is my takeaway from this one.

Who the fuck is "Penny"?
    edited July 2022
    Eabhal said:

I wonder whether it might be a good idea to close down those London Underground lines that don't have air conditioning. Even in the middle of winter they can be uncomfortably hot, especially the Bakerloo Line around the Charing Cross stations. It might not be sensible for people to be down there if it's 39 degrees outside IMO.
    Andy_JS said:

I may end up supporting Liz Truss even though she wasn't one of my original choices for leader. Disappointing but that's life.

Now 4 on BF.

Did I not say she represented the value bet earlier when she was 5.5

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,337
    Nutters unite...

EXCLUSIVE Huge boost for Liz Truss as entire 60-strong European Research Group told to vote for the Foreign Secretary to be leader.
    Mark Francois wrote to ERG members saying "as previously agreed - I do hope that all of our Group will now feel able to unite firmly behind Liz".

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

The Tory answer seems to be whack up the state pension for our client vote and everyone else can go feck themselves.
    To be absolutely fair, the current Government has decreed that social security payments other than pensions should also be uprated by the same measure of inflation next Spring.

Though the next Prime Minister always has the option of changing policy and just restricting this to pensioners again, as they have done in many previous years.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    Andy_JS said:

Life is just one great big Liz Truss.
    Thing I personally find most off-putting about "Lord Frost" is his impersonating a Great British TV Great.

Used to love watching SIR David Frost's Sunday morning TV show, which was possible - indeed easy - via the web (in USA) back then.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,495
    Scott_xP said:

Nutters unite...

EXCLUSIVE Huge boost for Liz Truss as entire 60-strong European Research Group told to vote for the Foreign Secretary to be leader.
    Mark Francois wrote to ERG members saying "as previously agreed - I do hope that all of our Group will now feel able to unite firmly behind Liz".

God help the Tories if she becomes leader. 1997 could be a slight scratch in comparison.

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

You dare refer to "to any great cleavage" re: Tory leadership hopefuls! Moderator!!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475

A message to you, Muslims.
    A message to you.
    Stop your fooling around,
    Time to straighten right out.
    Better think of your future
    Else you'll wind up in jail.
    pigeon said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

To be absolutely fair, the current Government has decreed that social security payments other than pensions should also be uprated by the same measure of inflation next Spring.

Though the next Prime Minister always has the option of changing policy and just restricting this to pensioners again, as they have done in many previous years.
    JSA is ≈ £4k a year

State Pension ≈ 2x that.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,149

Frost's views on front page of Telegraph.

WTF?

Who?

Maybe he is being viewed as Johnson's views on earth?

It is incredible that Lord Frost - a man who has never run for public office let alone been elected, whose main contribution to public life was negotiating a trade deal he is now trying to dismantle, and who prior to that was a second tier lobbyist - is now regarded as a key player in the Conservative Party. Of all the nonentities who have bobbed along in the sewage discharge of Boris Johnson's reign, he is the most inexplicable.
    I dunno.
    There are an awful load of turds in that discharge.

And Simon Case seems set to survive even the change of regime.
    Scott_xP said:

Nutters unite...

• Truss got to have a good chance to be in the final two surely?
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Nutters unite...

The question needs to be asked, how many of them already voted for her?
    AND also, how ERGers will vote "as previously agreed"? Somewhere shy of 100% is my guess.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,460

1.85 Penny Mordaunt 54%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    150 Tom Tugendhat
    290 Dominic Raab

1.87 Penny Mordaunt 53%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    44 Kemi Badenoch
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    1.92 Penny Mordaunt 52%
    4.2 Liz Truss 24%
    4.9 Rishi Sunak 20%
    27 Kemi Badenoch
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    I agree, with the reservation that the party seems basically unserious at the moment. They rave about Badenuch and Mordaunt because they seem fresh, but neither of them seem to have any kind of general programme, and would normally be seen as wild outsiders. Sunak and Truss are known quantities, which would normally be a good thing, but the Tories seem in the mood for anyone who's a novelty to most people. But yes, 20% is too low (and better than evens is too short for Mordaunr).
    Andy_JS said:

Eabhal said:

I wonder whether it might be a good idea to close down those London Underground lines that don't have air conditioning. Even in the middle of winter they can be uncomfortably hot, especially the Bakerloo Line around the Charing Cross stations. It wouldn't be sensible for people to be down there if it's 39 degrees outside IMO.
    Very true, though it leaves TfL in a considerable bind. A lot of people, including many key workers, don't have the luxury of being able to stay at home, and my (mercifully limited) experience of London buses in hot weather is that they are ovens on wheels, they take much longer to get anywhere than tube trains do, and they will end up as sardine tins full of gasping, half-dead commuters if the underground closes.

Britain is ill-equipped to deal with these monstrous heatwaves whichever way you look at it, and the dangers they create are difficult for many of us to avoid.
    Liz Truss on the advance

Mordaunt 2.04
    Truss 3.7
    Sunak 5.1
    Badenoch 36
    Tugendhat 200

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,495

Truss got to have a good chance to be in the final two surely?

Depends how many ERG aren’t currently supporting her.
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

That's easy:

The best way to get the cost of living down is to defeat Putin. Because only when Putin is defeated and Russia withdraws from Ukraine, can the oil and gas start to flow again (and, of course, this also means grain will be shipped from Ukraine).
    But it seems as though Liz Truss is the candidate most determined to defeat Putin, of the leading three contenders. Given the general pro-Ukrainian consensus on pb, it makes the general anti-Truss consensus a bit odd.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't think a Conservative PM is ever likely to impress me very much, so on one level it doesn't matter too much who wins it. All of them will do things I disagree with. But Ukraine is incredibly important, and if there's any hint of a scintilla of backsliding from whoever replaces Johnson - I'd have to regret that he was pushed out.

I'm a bit worried by Sunak on this. He has the air of being a "realist", and wanting to reach an accommodation so that the problem will go away. I have absolutely no idea what Mordaunt's position is. That might make me the most pro-Truss poster here. Which is a bit odd.

I'm kinda waiting for Wallace to show his hand and anoint the candidate who is most steadfast in support of Ukraine.
    Scott_xP said:

Nutters unite...

Question is, how many ERG members were already voting for Liz Truss? This won't be 60 new votes. Also, does this kill Kemi's chances?
    Andy_JS said:

Liz Truss on the advance

Mordaunt 2.04
    Truss 3.7
    Sunak 5.1
    Badenoch 36
    Tugendhat 200

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234

Penny Mordaunt back out to evens. That will please the "lay the favourite" PBers.
    Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Yes - keep them closed and close curtains. The room never gets warm and so you have a cool dark room at the end of the day.
    "Never gets warm?" This is an exaggeration to put it mildly, unless perhaps you live in a very old stone cottage.

The modern British home is custom built to trap heat, because they're all constructed to deal with wet, chilly days not roasting hot ones. Hardly any of them have been built with such conditions in mind.

It's really all about damage limitation: trying to make the interior of one's home hot rather than actually lethal.

1.85 Penny Mordaunt 54%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    150 Tom Tugendhat
    290 Dominic Raab

1.87 Penny Mordaunt 53%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    44 Kemi Badenoch
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    1.92 Penny Mordaunt 52%
    4.2 Liz Truss 24%
    4.9 Rishi Sunak 20%
    27 Kemi Badenoch
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    I agree, with the reservation that the party seems basically unserious at the moment. They rave about Badenuch and Mordaunt because they seem fresh, but neither of them seem to have any kind of general programme, and would normally be seen as wild outsiders. Sunak and Truss are known quantities, which would normally be a good thing, but the Tories seem in the mood for anyone who's a novelty to most people. But yes, 20% is too low (and better than evens is too short for Mordaunr).
    sunak is now the value bet.

what larks
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    Sunak needs a decent

1.85 Penny Mordaunt 54%
    4.7 Liz Truss 21%
    4.8 Rishi Sunak 21%
    28 Kemi Badenoch
    150 Tom Tugendhat
    290 Dominic Raab

1.87 Penny Mordaunt 53%
    4.5 Liz Truss 22%
    4.7 Rishi Sunak 21%
    44 Kemi Badenoch
    130 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    1.92 Penny Mordaunt 52%
    4.2 Liz Truss 24%
    4.9 Rishi Sunak 20%
    27 Kemi Badenoch
    140 Tom Tugendhat
    170 Dominic Raab
    sunak is now the value bet.

what larks
    Indeed.
    Seems to swing by the hour, let alone the day.
    He needs a good debate though.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,581
    Surely the vast majority of ERG will have voted Truss or Braverman today.

Even if you add them together you only get 91 - and we know there is bound to be at least some leakage of Braverman votes to other candidates.

You need 120 to definitely make the final and in practice it's so close that you'll probably need about 115.

So Truss still has to find at an absolute minimum about 25 and probably about 30 votes from elsewhere - with few ERG still to go for.
    I would put the real odds at

Mordaunt, 45%
    Rishi, 35%
    Truss, 25%
    Others, 5%
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    A 2019 Lib Dem parliamentary candidate and current chair of Calderdale Lib Dems tweeted "get your immigrant offspring face off my screen" to Suella Braverman.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/javed-bashir-ppc

https://twitter.com/TheBuzzerUK/status/1547564226293616650
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,200
    Ireland grumpy that asylum seekers are using the Common Travel Area to seek asylum there instead of the UK to avoid being sent to Rwanda:

https://www.politico.eu/article/micheal-martin-ireland-ukraine-war-refugees-uk-rwanda-policy/
    https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1547671189815930880?s=21&t=nbNibvK_TSCTFWhbdCUo1Q

Nadine Dorries tells @Channel4 about Liz Truss, whom she is supporting for Tory leader:

“They call her a hand grenade because she gets things done.”

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

dixiedean said:

That's easy:

But it seems as though Liz Truss is the candidate most determined to defeat Putin, of the leading three contenders. Given the general pro-Ukrainian consensus on pb, it makes the general anti-Truss consensus a bit odd.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't think a Conservative PM is ever likely to impress me very much, so on one level it doesn't matter too much who wins it. All of them will do things I disagree with. But Ukraine is incredibly important, and if there's any hint of a scintilla of backsliding from whoever replaces Johnson - I'd have to regret that he was pushed out.

I'm a bit worried by Sunak on this. He has the air of being a "realist", and wanting to reach an accommodation so that the problem will go away. I have absolutely no idea what Mordaunt's position is. That might make me the most pro-Truss poster here. Which is a bit odd.

I'm kinda waiting for Wallace to show his hand and anoint the candidate who is most steadfast in support of Ukraine.
    Doubtful of that happening. For one thing, reckon that ALL the candidates would keep Wallace on the job.

Might even have told him so, though I (and likely he) would NOT believe them, but rather the strength he lends right now to ANY Tory Prime Minister.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,899
    Test
    Yay!
    What is that "1 character short" thing. Just stopped me posting for an hour
    edited July 2022
    "Stay at home" might be a good message for the government to give to people on Monday and Tuesday.
    Leon said:

You were blocked for heat hysteria.

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1547671189815930880?s=21&t=nbNibvK_TSCTFWhbdCUo1Q

Nadine Dorries tells @Channel4 about Liz Truss, whom she is supporting for Tory leader:

Does Nad know that we know that is not why the call her the hand grenade? Does Nad know?

Does Nad know that we know that is not why the call her the hand grenade? Does Nad know?
    Nad know nuttin’.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    Decided it was time to read up on the background of each of the remaining candidates. It made me feel old. I realized that I worked with one of the candidates' father-in-law (some 34 years ago when the candidate was a teenager).
    Leon said:

Perhaps you need a new identity?
    edited July 2022
    Funny how the Tory leadership contest is going to reach boiling point on Monday and Tuesday when it's going to be 39 degrees in London.
    Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Sadly even with that regime the "never gets warm" is NOT operative for my humble abode.

Worst is when heat wave never cools down at night to (at least) 70F or so. So apartment coolest my apartment will get is say 75%. At 6am.

Part of the problem is that the building itself gets heated up after four or five days. But only part.
    Andy_JS said:

Funny how the Tory leadership contest is going to reach boiling point on Monday and Tuesday when it's going to be 39 degrees in London.

Yes, the BBC just predicted 39C in London on Tuesday. That - tho they didn't mention it - is an all-time UK heat record
    Andy_JS said:

Eabhal said:

I wonder whether it might be a good idea to close down those London Underground lines that don't have air conditioning. Even in the middle of winter they can be uncomfortably hot, especially the Bakerloo Line around the Charing Cross stations. It might not be sensible for people to be down there if it's 39 degrees outside IMO.
    Won't they be cooler than at the surface, though?
    carnforth said:

Ireland grumpy that asylum seekers are using the Common Travel Area to seek asylum there instead of the UK to avoid being sent to Rwanda:

https://www.politico.eu/article/micheal-martin-ireland-ukraine-war-refugees-uk-rwanda-policy/

Not sure what the Common Travel Area has to do with it. Non-UK and non-Irish citizens still require a visa for each country separately. I remember being on a coach to Ireland once and all the passports being checked carefully. And a colleague I worked with recently had to change her plan to visit Ireland on holiday because her husband couldn't get a visa for Ireland, though they were working in London on an IT work visa at the time.
  • kjh said:

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Tory London Mayoral candidate last year
    Not him. Who is Badenoch?
    Somebody who broke the law, which is why Boris Johnson should have gone, and it should also rule out Sunak.
    I think that is tough on Sunak. I think he genuinely did get ambushed by a cake. He is not Boris.
    He shouldn’t have accepted his fine, then

He’s a convict as much as Johnson

ps I agree, but he’s made the wrong judgement and has to take the consequences
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,006
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

I think it happens when you post an image but without any text
    Andy_JS said:

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Heat Wave
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0GDQrK2jo
    Andy_JS said:

"Stay at home" might be a good message for the government to give to people on Monday and Tuesday.

Especially if they are a tory MP travelling to Westminster in order to vote against 'continuity Boris'.

Andy_JS said:

But will you be eating your hat?
    pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

"Never gets warm?" This is an exaggeration to put it mildly, unless perhaps you live in a very old stone cottage.

The modern British home is custom built to trap heat, because they're all constructed to deal with wet, chilly days not roasting hot ones. Hardly any of them have been built with such conditions in mind.

It's really all about damage limitation: trying to make the interior of one's home hot rather than actually lethal.
    Trapping heat is identical to trapping cool. Keep all your windows and door shut, and a well insulated house will do a fine job of keeping the heat out.
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, the BBC just predicted 39C in London on Tuesday. That - tho they didn't mention it - is an all-time UK heat record
    Have just noticed we are predicted 25 and 26 over Sunday to Tuesday on the Met Office site.
    So what you say? That's not much.
    But that is a serious upgrade on 24 hours ago.
    We.were set for 22 and 23 then.
    So. The heat seems to be firming up.
    Andy_JS said:

Am I a bad person for hoping that JRM refuses to work from home next Monday and Tuesday and melts down into a greasy pool of shit?
    edited July 2022

Mordaunt, 45%
    Rishi, 35%
    Truss, 25%
    Others, 5%

I hope for the sake of those betting that the overround at the bookies is lower.

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Sadly even with that regime the "never gets warm" is NOT operative for my humble abode.

Worst is when heat wave never cools down at night to (at least) 70F21C or so...
    FIFY

CatMan said:

Leon said:

I think it happens when you post an image but without any text
    Have had it happen to me with zero image posting. So at least not sole explanation.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,200
    edited July 2022

carnforth said:

Not sure what the Common Travel Area has to do with it. Non-UK and non-Irish citizens still require a visa for each country separately. I remember being on a coach to Ireland once and all the passports being checked carefully. And a colleague I worked with recently had to change her plan to visit Ireland on holiday because her husband couldn't get a visa for Ireland, though they were working in London on an IT work visa at the time.
    Your colleagues could have taken a ferry to Northern Ireland and then the train to Dublin. Illegal, but nothing to actually stop them.

An asylum seeker in England can take the ferry to NI as a foot passenger with any photo ID from any country - no passport required.

Mordaunt, 45%
    Rishi, 35%
    Truss, 25%
    Others, 5%

I hope for the sake of those betting that the overround at the bookies is lower.
    Hehe
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,019
    edited July 2022
    The pub runs (18z) so far from the ICON and GFS models max out at 41C and 42C respectively next Tuesday.

Will actually, like it or not, put net zero on the minds of journalists covering the leadership campaign.
  • I would put the real odds at

Mordaunt, 45%
    Rishi, 35%
    Truss, 25%
    Others, 5%

You are Nadhim Dorries and I claim my 110 kilograms

edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Have just noticed we are predicted 25 and 26 over Sunday to Tuesday on the Met Office site.
    So what you say? That's not much.
    But that is a serious upgrade on 24 hours ago.
    We.were set for 22 and 23 then.
    So. The heat seems to be firming up.
    If the BBC is officially predicting 39C for London then it's 50/50 that 40C will be broken somewhere - ie the usual places: Heathrow, Gravesend, Cambridge...
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Trapping heat is identical to trapping cool. Keep all your windows and door shut, and a well insulated house will do a fine job of keeping the heat out.
    The average human generates about 100W of heat continuously. Your fridge will also dump heat into your house, as will, most obviously, any cooking that you do, or hot water that you use for washing dishes, or yourself. If you can't lose this heat to the outside world, then your house will warm up over time.

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

The average human generates about 100W of heat continuously. Your fridge will also dump heat into your house, as will, most obviously, any cooking that you do, or hot water that you use for washing dishes, or yourself. If you can't lose this heat to the outside world, then your house will warm up over time.
    Of course: but that 100W takes a fair while to heat the house.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,910
    Scott_xP said:

And so does Starmer...

If the ERG inflict Truss on us when we could have Penny or Kemi they will deserve the defeat that's coming their way in 2024.

Conservatives really do need a spell in opposition anyway mind you. In the long term Kemi would be much more successful taking a defeated party and rebuilding it in her image through opposition to government.
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

"well insulated" being the critical factor. Lacking that, gotta get VERY creative. OR invest in A/C.

OR rent a motel room with A/C . . . if you can find AND afford one . . .

Plenty of showering also helps (and if male, shaving). Swamp (evaporative) coolers also good, which you can rig up with box fan & wet towel (use cold water!)
This discussion has been closed.