Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Political Love Island – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

I am so sorry for all those offended by adverts at Waterloo Station that Kemi won’t be winning

Yet they are quite happy to cause permanent offence to our second closest international neighbours by continuing to call it Waterloo. Bit selective on the offence front methinks.
    We should rename all our terminals: Waterloo, Agincourt, Crecy, and Treaty of Troyes.
    How could you forget Picquigny and Trafalgar?
    And Blenheim.
    Tbf there's a Hastings Station, and we lost that one.
    More precisely Battle, no?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_railway_station
    There's only won unfortunately Sunil, so no chance for you to go to Battle stations.
    Actually, it wasn't only won,it was lost as well.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    Just to make the petrol heads here jealous I have been out and about today in a Ferrari 430 with a challenge series upgrade. I think that is 600 bhp and 200 mph top speed. A bit nippier than my Kia picanto.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,882
    CatMan said:

OT Channel 4's The Undeclared War features a Russian troll farm tonight.

If it doesn't have a shot of someone logged onto PB I'll be very disappointed.
    Wonder what the easiest/hardest site is for trolls. I presume Telegraph/Guardian is pretty easy. Reddit middling? PB top tier?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791
    OnboardG1 said:

theProle said:

JACK_W said:

I always enjoy a piece by Cyclefree, even more so when it comes from the high ground and we should always expect better of our politicians.

The reality is that few will cast their ballot in the expectation that their candidate is a paragon of virtue, more that we chose the least worst and hope for more.

Competence would be a start, let alone virtue. As mentioned on Spectator TV and elsewhere, whoever wins will be leading a country where prices are rocketing, there may be fuel shortages, no-one can see their doctor and muggers and murderers roam our streets untroubled by the constabulary. The government will need to establish it can get things done, now that firefighting Covid has disappeared as an excuse.

None of the candidates so far seems to be addressing this, aside from fairytale tax cuts.
    On the "no-one can see a doctor" thing... A couple of weeks ago I felt a lump on one of my testicles.
    Rang my GP's surgery about 3pm. Could I come in for 4pm that afternoon?
    I did. Doctor saw me on time, pronounced it was probably a cyst rather than anything more serious, but wanted to get the ultrasound people to take a quick look just in case, also wanted to do some blood tests. Blood tests booked for the following Monday (this was a Thursday), Ultrasound booked for today (I.e. two weeks).

Upshot is that two weeks from the initial phone call I've had a consultation, tests and an all clear. (I'll probably have a phone call with the doctor when he gets the results back, but the ultrasound operator was pretty clear it is just a cyst).
    Oh, and all done in my local town (pop approx 25k).

Now, clearly my experiences aren't universal, but as someone who hadn't seen a doctor for years, and had got the impression from the media that the whole system was on the brink of collapse, I was quite pleasantly surprised by how uncollapsed at least my local bit of it seems to be.
    Similar story last month when I got knocked off my bike. One of the bystanders called 999 and the paramedic arrived within three minutes and the ambulance five minutes after that. I felt like a bit of a fraud since I was pretty sure I was fine but they weren't having any of my "I'm pretty sure I can get myself to A&E" shtick. Amazingly, two traffic coppers turned up within 20 minutes of the crash to take my statement from the back of the ambulance, and I got a call back within a couple of days from one of them ("I would have called you yesterday if your injuries had been more serious" suggested they were considering further action against the driver which I really didn't want).

I know the system is strained as hell but I got really lucky.
    That is great that you are ok, but it all seems a bit over the top to me. I had a similar thing about 12 years ago, I hit a pothole on my bike and someone called 999. The ambulance came, I was taken to hospital, and then the police turned up to interview me. It got really annoying because the police kept following me around hospital while I was being examined by the doctor. The doctor told them to get lost at one point. Eventually I asked the police if I was under suspicion of something, and the officer said driving without due caution, but they were not going to press charges. So the impression I got from this was that the police were wasting hours investigating no crime incidents where people fall off their bikes.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

I am so sorry for all those offended by adverts at Waterloo Station that Kemi won’t be winning

Yet they are quite happy to cause permanent offence to our second closest international neighbours by continuing to call it Waterloo. Bit selective on the offence front methinks.
    We should rename all our terminals: Waterloo, Agincourt, Crecy, and Treaty of Troyes.
    And Blenheim.
    There's only won unfortunately Sunil, so no chance for you to go to Battle stations.
    Can't believe I typed that!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

And Blenheim.
    You missed a golden opportunity to blame autocorrect as well.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

And Blenheim.
    As for Poitiers...
    Always thought there were multiple Poitiers but it seems the others are called Tours and Vouille and stuff
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,499
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Rename stations at random. Penge East could be 'Siege of Rouen Halt'
    'Culloden' would be nice for Euston or King's Cross, and help make our Scots friends feel at home. South Greenford could be 'Brunanburh'.
    Why not set a good example for others - something of an English specialty, at least in English eyes - by naming stations for British DEFEATS. Symbolic of recognizing reality then moving fearlessly forward.

Yorktown Station? Idsandlwana Station? Gallipoli Station? Singapore Station?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

'Culloden' would be nice for Euston or King's Cross, and help make our Scots friends feel at home. South Greenford could be 'Brunanburh'.
    Why not set a good example for others - something of an English specialty, at least in English eyes - by naming stations for British DEFEATS. Symbolic of recognizing reality then moving fearlessly forward.

Isandhlwana ...

Well, Hastings/Battle and Dunkirk were defeats ...
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Stocky said:

The Leadsom rumour is obviously emanating from the Rishi camp.

Yes. I'd be surprised and disappointed if Mordaunt made Leadson CoE.
    They go back a long way.
    Mordaunt organised that risible pro-Leadsom March in 2016.

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

The Tory leadership election is going to get blown away, as a news item, by the hot air of the scorchio weather

We are now firmly into plausible prediction territory - Monday is 4 days away and some models are predicting 40C in.... MANCHESTER

The overnight minima are equally amazing - 26C in some places. If you don't have aircon that is going to be horrid/dangerous

There is still a reasonable chance the worst won't happen. But with each hour that passes and no substantial variation in the predictions, that becomes less likely. Brace

You should come up to the Lakes my darling. The weather is gloriously pleasant: sunny but comfortable.

I did not realise that the TiT slogan was a spoof. Apologies. I wrote this at 5 am as I did not sleep last night and only updated this evening. Have been out all day.

I am allergic to liars, I'm afraid. Penny did not impress me during the referendum campaign and nothing I have seen since has changed my mind.

But, tbh, none of them are really talking about the stuff that matters to voters.
    Is that because you would prefer a Starmer administration?
    No.

I am politically homeless.
    I reached the same point, just a bit earlier. It was between the 2017 and 2019 as I watched Corbyn's loons take over Labour and the the Kippers take over the Tories. I voted LibDem in 2017 but their subsequent disappearance from public view took that option away.

I no longer vote
  • Options

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Brexit South?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    kjh said:

Just to make the petrol heads here jealous I have been out and about today in a Ferrari 430 with a challenge series upgrade. I think that is 600 bhp and 200 mph top speed. A bit nippier than my Kia picanto.

Did you have to pay for the petrol? 👍
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

I'd have thought the main station for trains to Scotland should be called Think Again.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    From the Torygraph story about a masculine culture at No 10 comes the least surprising revelation of all time:

“Boris was completely disorganised. First thing in the morning, he would turn up two hours late. His hair would be wet. He’d have his zip undone or his shirt hanging out. He’d be just a complete mess all the time.”
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Farooq said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

I'd have thought the main station for trains to Scotland should be called Think Again.
    Kings Cross?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

kjh said:

Did you have to pay for the petrol? 👍
    Nope and I believe it is about 6 miles to the gallon.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,918
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Seems to be Stop Penny time.
    If they want a clean break then stopping the candidate whose first instinct isn't to be truthful makes some sense, I guess.
    Don't really get the visceral anti-Truss sentiment tbh. Sure she's a poor speaker.

"whose first instinct isn't to be truthful "

This lack of truthfulness on Mordaunt's part is becoming written as lore. What is the evidence for it, compared to the average politician?
    It seems to be frequently cited by her colleagues.
    Braverman objects to her changing the wording of woman in a bill. She says she didn't. She claimed to have set up an investigation into the number of girls transitioning. People involved say she had nowt to do with it.
    The fixation with trans runs deep. It may cost her.
    So very little direct evidence?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

From the Torygraph story about a masculine culture at No 10 comes the least surprising revelation of all time:

“Boris was completely disorganised. First thing in the morning, he would turn up two hours late. His hair would be wet. He’d have his zip undone or his shirt hanging out. He’d be just a complete mess all the time.”

A pedant points out.
    He couldn't be two hours late if it was first thing in the morning.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    Rename St Pancras as Mers-el-Kébir.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

And Blenheim.
    You missed a golden opportunity to blame autocorrect as well.
    I don't have the gall to suggest autocorrect would make 'won' from a mis-typed 'one'.

Makes me ponder how language works - one part of my brain was thinking of the numeral, but the bit that controls my fingers heard 'won'. I guess.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Jessica Elgot
    @jessicaelgot
    ·
    2h
    Boris Johnson is planning a farewell party at Chequers this weekend - but he wants to stick on the backbenches for now.

Allies suggest he will ask tricky questions on Ukraine, levelling up and NI protocol bill, the three things he fears could slip

Oh please.
    The idea he will even bother turning up regularly is for the birds.
    I don't see why not. He'd see it as his Churchill in the wilderness period and find some issue to give portentous speeches about from the backbenches.
    I would have thought he'd be a bit too busy on the speeches and books front to regularly speak in the Commons.
    Chiltern Hundreds for sure.
    Boris will hang around for £80,000 a year plus expenses, and to see if he is called back. I doubt he will contest the next general election, but then I always thought Boris planned to retire before then anyway, which might explain his apparently calm reaction; disappointed but not depressed to be out a year or so earlier than planned.
    Honestly, given what is coming down the track, he would be inhuman not to feel some relief at not having to be the PM that steers us through it all. And being a lazy bugger who was never really troubled by the welfare of our country in the first place, for him it’s really a lucky escape. Just a shame he spent so much on the redecorating.
  • Options

So gamblers, have we taken into account the Black Swan that is Ben Wallace?

Just imagine if he comes out and torpedoes Rishi as as a Putin appeaser.

I can't help thinking somebody is going to try to nuke at least one of the two candidates who get to the members ballot.

I just wonder what tasty scandal is being held back for the right moment.
    It might add some interest to what is otherwise a loon parade
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Just to inject a bit of irrelevance, and to prove my bone-headed Anglo Saxonness I submit the following---:

Groucho Marx once chaired an American radio quiz show and would ask the loser for a booby prize "who is buried in Grant's tomb?"

Well, I once asked someone where the Bayeux Tapestry was.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267

kle4 said:

Kemi on LBC says she would restore cabinet government and appoint people based on merit, not loyalty.

https://youtu.be/2wxf-bXqS5s

What a pointless comment. Every PM who has ever existed would claim those they appoint merit their roles.
    Yep - vacuous trash. I bet she's going to cut immigration, reduce crime, help hard-working families and grow the economy too.
    Watch it before you dismiss her.

I just watched it. She's exceptionally bright.

Why isn't she knocking this out the park?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Isandhlwana ...

There's a Dunkirk station in the UK?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A pedant points out.
    It was first thing in the morning by Boris O’Clock: 1159hrs

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

dixiedean said:

ToryJim said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Its likely all down to the flavour of Kemis backers.if they break for Truss heavily Mordaunt could get squeezed out here.
    Jesus, anyone but Truss from that 5

PM Truss will make Boris look like a bleeding heart liberal, it would be a Cabinet dominated by the ERG, she would be the puppet of Francois, IDS and Rees Mogg and Steve Baker as they would be the ones who got her the leadership
    Absolutely right which is why I’m terrified that she might win. The Tories would deserve annihilation at the election.
    She's the female IDS.
    She’d get to fight an election though. She’d utterly flame out but she’d fight it.
    Nah, she's get VONCed next autumn.
    Anyone know what the rules are there?

In practice, any party VOMCing a newly-elected leader would look pretty desperate.

But is there any formal equivalent of the 12 month immunity (unless you really hack off the '22) a leader gets from winning a VONC?
    They could always save time on an election by simply VONCing the candidates before they start.
    That does raise a question of whether they are using the right voting system to select candidates to put before the members. The present system means that an MP with one-third support among MPs is guaranteed to reach the membership, even if strongly opposed by the other two-thirds of their Parliamentary colleagues. Perhaps it's more important that the candidates who make the final two are tolerated by a majority of their colleagues, then that they have a smaller core of more fervent support?

Perhaps if the voting was done in reality TV show style - vote for the candidate you want to evict from the contest - in each round, then you'd end up with the final two candidates having the best chance of having wide support amongst their colleagues.
    Alternatively, the system could reverse. Candidates get winnowed down by the membership by AV to three remaining and then it goes to the MPs. They vote - if one gets over 50%, they’re it, otherwise it’s an elimination and down to two, and the MPs vote again.

All candidates get a prolonged shot at making their case and being scrutinised, the membership get to decide which three go forwards, and the MPs choose which one they can put up with.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    Toms said:

Just to inject a bit of irrelevance, and to prove my bone-headed Anglo Saxonness I submit the following---:

Groucho Marx once chaired an American radio quiz show and would ask the loser for a booby prize "who is buried in Grant's tomb?"

Isn’t the bayeux tapestry (a) an embroidery and (b) currently on tour in the U.K.?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Seems like a fair summary from Cyclefree. I continue to think the Tories will come to regret choosing anyone but Sunak.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Brexit South?
    Brilliant. Wherever you believe your train may be going you will be disappointed.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Very disappointing that Braverman isn't supporting Badenoch.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

I reached the same point, just a bit earlier. It was between the 2017 and 2019 as I watched Corbyn's loons take over Labour and the the Kippers take over the Tories. I voted LibDem in 2017 but their subsequent disappearance from public view took that option away.

I no longer vote

That's a bit sad. I get that none of the parties excite you, but do they all seem equally bad, so no preference is possible? For example, it's not really the LibDems' fault that the media choose not to highlight what they're doing.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A pedant points out.
    Aspirant pedants on this site really could do with some refreshers on proper punctuation.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    This might be wishful thinking, but is there a chance TT’s vote backs Badenoch to knock out Truss? I can imagine his backers not caring so much about who wins but caring a lot about who doesn’t win.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Its likely all down to the flavour of Kemis backers.if they break for Truss heavily Mordaunt could get squeezed out here.

PM Truss will make Boris look like a bleeding heart liberal, it would be a Cabinet dominated by the ERG, she would be the puppet of Francois, IDS and Rees Mogg and Steve Baker as they would be the ones who got her the leadership
    Absolutely right which is why I’m terrified that she might win. The Tories would deserve annihilation at the election.
    The idiot Sunak is going to maneuver Mordaunt out of the final, and then lose to Truss

Twat
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Toms said:

Isn’t the bayeux tapestry (a) an embroidery and (b) currently on tour in the U.K.?
    You're asking ME? (Spoken with a rising tone.)
  • Options

How do you know Kemi won't be winning?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    edited July 2022

Toms said:

Yes it is an embroidery.

Wiki says about the tour "In 2018, French President Emmanuel Macron announced that the Bayeux Tapestry would be loaned to Britain for public display. It had been expected to be exhibited at the British Museum in London in 2022, but a date has not yet been finalised."
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Isandhlwana ...

It’s our fault for naming the place ‘Battle’ in the first place; it was always asking for trouble.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Isandhlwana ...

Defeats for whom? We're most of us heirs to the Norman invasion. And there's a niche view that said conquest was in part Breton revenge on the Saxon invasion hundreds of years earlier. Certainly William was interested in that theme in the buildup to the invasion when trying to drum up support from his westerly neighbours.

The language we use today is replete with French/Latin-originated words giving a higher class sense and Saxon/Nordic ones giving a lower class sense.
    Judge v deem
    Verdant v green
    Chef v cook
    Chamber v room
    Prohibit v ban

and so on
    or should I say et cetera?
  • Options

Toms said:

a) Yes.
    b) No. https://www.bayeuxmuseum.com/en/actus/the-bayeux-tapestry-is-still-in-bayeux/
  • Options

Farooq said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Kings Cross?
    Livid if IndyRef2 is Yes
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,277
    edited July 2022
    darkage said:

OnboardG1 said:

theProle said:

JACK_W said:

I always enjoy a piece by Cyclefree, even more so when it comes from the high ground and we should always expect better of our politicians.

The reality is that few will cast their ballot in the expectation that their candidate is a paragon of virtue, more that we chose the least worst and hope for more.

Competence would be a start, let alone virtue. As mentioned on Spectator TV and elsewhere, whoever wins will be leading a country where prices are rocketing, there may be fuel shortages, no-one can see their doctor and muggers and murderers roam our streets untroubled by the constabulary. The government will need to establish it can get things done, now that firefighting Covid has disappeared as an excuse.

None of the candidates so far seems to be addressing this, aside from fairytale tax cuts.
    On the "no-one can see a doctor" thing... A couple of weeks ago I felt a lump on one of my testicles.
    I did. Doctor saw me on time, pronounced it was probably a cyst rather than anything more serious, but wanted to get the ultrasound people to take a quick look just in case, also wanted to do some blood tests. Blood tests booked for the following Monday (this was a Thursday), Ultrasound booked for today (I.e. two weeks).

Upshot is that two weeks from the initial phone call I've had a consultation, tests and an all clear. (I'll probably have a phone call with the doctor when he gets the results back, but the ultrasound operator was pretty clear it is just a cyst).

Now, clearly my experiences aren't universal, but as someone who hadn't seen a doctor for years, and had got the impression from the media that the whole system was on the brink of collapse, I was quite pleasantly surprised by how uncollapsed at least my local bit of it seems to be.
    Similar story last month when I got knocked off my bike. One of the bystanders called 999 and the paramedic arrived within three minutes and the ambulance five minutes after that. I felt like a bit of a fraud since I was pretty sure I was fine but they weren't having any of my "I'm pretty sure I can get myself to A&E" shtick. Amazingly, two traffic coppers turned up within 20 minutes of the crash to take my statement from the back of the ambulance, and I got a call back within a couple of days from one of them ("I would have called you yesterday if your injuries had been more serious" suggested they were considering further action against the driver which I really didn't want).

That is great that you are ok, but it all seems a bit over the top to me. I had a similar thing about 12 years ago, I hit a pothole on my bike and someone called 999. The ambulance came, I was taken to hospital, and then the police turned up to interview me. It got really annoying because the police kept following me around hospital while I was being examined by the doctor. The doctor told them to get lost at one point. Eventually I asked the police if I was under suspicion of something, and the officer said driving without due caution, but they were not going to press charges. So the impression I got from this was that the police were wasting hours investigating no crime incidents where people fall off their bikes.
    Oh the security team from the shopping centre car park it happened in called them (I assume as arse covering). They weren't bothersome at all and buggered off after taking a short statement. I was glad they were called actually because the security team got the driver's details (I was a bit preoccupied) and gave them to the police. I couldn't get the details from anyone the next day because of GDPR so I at least had a CRN to give to the insurance company to try to get my excess back. I got struck on a crossing so I suspect the po-po were trying to decide whether to fine the driver although TBF we were victims of the supermarket's shitty hedge placement. Who puts a six foot high hedge next to a crossing on a multi-use path for heaven's sake?
  • Options

Reluctantly, I've laid off some of my Kemi this evening.

She isn't going to make it. It's a massive mistake by the Tories, but she isn't.

Unfortunately you are probably right! 😡
    Starting to look that way, but depends how many of her supporters Braverman carries with her. If it's a dozen or less and the rest fall behind Badenoch then her massively outperforming Truss in the debates could swing enough behind her to put her in third on Monday, and then she goes to the members. Tougher for her now but still possible.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

OnboardG1 said:

theProle said:

JACK_W said:

Same from me. Had surgery in December and still getting great, regular physiotherapy on the NHS. Back swimming, and up to 5 press ups now! (from a pre-op 40ish).

Police spotted a close pass on my bike outside Holyrood Palace. Driver pulled over, cops phoned me up afterwards informing me the driver had been fined and given 6 points. Lovely stuff.
    Otoh, my GP de-registered me after I got my clips out back home in the Highlands over Christmas. This was despite numerous calls trying to make sure this wouldn't happen.

Apparently I have to book a 3 hour slot to re-register in person. Don't really understand how someone on shift work deals with that. I can't be fucked, I'll just turn up if I need an appointment and point out the mistake they made.

I think actual front line services (GPs, ambulance, A & E) are where the real issues are. Pharmacies are much better for sorting out quick issues (especially skin stuff).
    Like the pharmacist who misdiagnosed my wife's Shingles as insect bites.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Isandhlwana ...

Royal Navy - including possibly next Prime Minister - would NOT appreciate that.

At least RN commanders, officers, crews at the time thought it was a rotten thing to do. And were not overly- bashful in saying so.

Though sadly it was the right thing to do.

Mostly because it convinced Franklin Roosevelt that Winston Churchill was NOT talking through his funny hat.
  • Options

I no longer vote

That's a bit sad. I get that none of the parties excite you, but do they all seem equally bad, so no preference is possible? For example, it's not really the LibDems' fault that the media choose not to highlight what they're doing.
    Neither of the two main parties have policies I am prepared to support and I have no idea what the LibDems stand for or what platform they are campaigning on behalf of.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Leon said:

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

The idiot Sunak is going to maneuver Mordaunt out of the final, and then lose to Truss

Twat
    Do we really believe he is maneuvering anything? Given his ratings with Members he has no reason to underplay his hand with MPs.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Farooq said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Kings Cross?
    I believe he was, the whole journey hameward
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

Reluctantly, I've laid off some of my Kemi this evening.

She isn't going to make it. It's a massive mistake by the Tories, but she isn't.

Unfortunately you are probably right! 😡
    Starting to look that way, but depends how many of her supporters Braverman carries with her. If it's a dozen or less and the rest fall behind Badenoch then her massively outperforming Truss in the debates could swing enough behind her to put her in third on Monday, and then she goes to the members. Tougher for her now but still possible.
    Yes. We can only hope. Anything is possible!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Paris has a "Jena" and a "Stalingrad".
    Rome has a Lepanto.
  • Options

ROFL I see my off topic friend is back marking posts they don't like. I see you Wanklicant
  • Options
    Toms said:

Grocho's Grant's Tomb query being an old vaudeville gag. Originating shortly after they interred the General.

And sure-fire way to get a laugh. Still heard occasionally even today.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Isandhlwana ...

Royal Navy - including possibly next Prime Minister - would NOT appreciate that.

At least RN commanders, officers, crews at the time thought it was a rotten thing to do. And were not overly- bashful in saying so.

Though sadly it was the right thing to do.

Mostly because it convinced Franklin Roosevelt that Winston Churchill was NOT talking through his funny hat.
    Admiral Gensoul was an idiot who got a lot of men killed for no reason.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    edited July 2022
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Tettenhall Station (in Wolverhampton) is named after the glorious victory of the combined armies of Mercia and Wessex over the Danelaw Vikings at the Battle of Tettenhall (910). Although the station closed in 1932. And although, according to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, the battle may have been in nearby Wednesfield. Whose station closed in 1931.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    So what is Kemi going to do about the rail strikes. Any policies on that?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

OnboardG1 said:

theProle said:

JACK_W said:

Same from me. Had surgery in December and still getting great, regular physiotherapy on the NHS. Back swimming, and up to 5 press ups now! (from a pre-op 40ish).

Police spotted a close pass on my bike outside Holyrood Palace. Driver pulled over, cops phoned me up afterwards informing me the driver had been fined and given 6 points. Lovely stuff.
    Otoh, my GP de-registered me after I got my clips out back home in the Highlands over Christmas. This was despite numerous calls trying to make sure this wouldn't happen.

Apparently I have to book a 3 hour slot to re-register in person. Don't really understand how someone on shift work deals with that. I can't be fucked, I'll just turn up if I need an appointment and point out the mistake they made.

I think actual front line services (GPs, ambulance, A & E) are where the real issues are. Pharmacies are much better for sorting out quick issues (especially skin stuff).
    Pharmacists are being pushed into being mini gp’s at the moment. Most of the time it will work ok, but it’s important to remember that they are not gp’s.

That said go’s don’t always get it right either. My friend took 7 visits over a longish time to get referred to hospital, where it transpired he had a heart condition.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Kiss of death surely, man is a massive loser
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Paris has a "Jena" and a "Stalingrad".
    Rome has a Lepanto.
    Getting that army into Syria is always a gamble.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    OnboardG1 said:
    Tory London Mayoral candidate last year
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

OnboardG1 said:

theProle said:

JACK_W said:

To be fair, they always suggest checking with a GP (for me at least).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    He lost against Sadiq Khan FFS, he is useless
  • Options

Replace the striking workers with agency statues
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Oh. Can only imagine Badenoch's answer is "Thanks, I guess".
  • Options
    Farooq said:

And then pull the statues down?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Not him. Who is Badenoch?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Still outperformed expecations though, so if they want someone who can prepare them for a defeat he should be listened to.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Still outperformed expecations though, so if they want someone who can prepare them for a defeat hs should be listened to.
    Fair point, yes he can tell them how to lead them gracefully to defeat
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Somebody who broke the law, which is why Boris Johnson should have gone, and it should also rule out Sunak.
  • Options
    Wanklicant is obsessed with me, four posts today he has marked off topic.

Love u too boo xx
  • Options
    At what temperature do we get an address to the nation by Boris? 40?

And from the Queen? 45? Will lead to quite a contrast across the country, lovely temperatures in Edinburgh at the mo.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    He got a higher first preference vote % than Zac :lol:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Let's get Zac to help, he's good at losing things
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That was a Conservative leadership campaign broadcast for Liz Truss
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Still outperformed expecations though, so if they want someone who can prepare them for a defeat he should be listened to.
    He outperformed what the polls said, but compared to 2016 he was only 0.3% ahead of what Zac Goldsmith got in the 1st round, and 1.6% in the second.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

And from the Queen? 45? Will lead to quite a contrast across the country, lovely temperatures in Edinburgh at the mo.

If I have to see that fat turd in shorts again I swear I'll break
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Eabhal said:

Very pleasant in the south today too. 24°C max today in rural Dorset.

It's next Monday/Tuesday that it gets unpleasantly warm down here.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Indeed, he was the second best Tory candidate for London Mayor after Boris and ahead of Zac Goldsmith and Steve Norris
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

If I have to see that fat turd in shorts again I swear I'll break
    The Queen can wear what she wants
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Well done Shaun. Excellent news.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

The question is When does the Met and the Govt declare a Tier 4 Red Hot Emergency

In the great early-August heatwave of 2003 in France, 14,800 died and some bodies were left unclaimed in September

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

"The high number of deaths can be explained by the conjunction of seemingly unrelated events. Most nights in France are cool, even in summer. As a consequence, houses (usually of stone, concrete, or brick construction) do not warm too much during the daytime and radiate minimal heat at night, and air conditioning is usually unnecessary. During the heat wave, temperatures remained at record highs even at night, breaking the usual cooling cycle. Elderly persons living by themselves had never faced such extreme heat before and did not know how to react or were too mentally or physically impaired by the heat to make the necessary adaptations themselves..."
  • Options
    Actually, in all seriousness, if the models are still pointing to 40C tomorrow, then the government needs to get its arse in gear, and start warning people, especially the old

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Perhaps Boris Johnson will stand for Mayor again? Would London Tories select him?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Farooq said:

As long as they self-identify as signallers then the trains can keep running.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    That was a Conservative leadership campaign broadcast for Liz Truss
    I'm not worried about her.

By December she'll be in Beijing opening up new pork markets.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Somebody who broke the law, which is why Boris Johnson should have gone, and it should also rule out Sunak.
    Badenoch broke the law?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Conservative leadership contender Kemi Badenoch joined Iain Dale to take your calls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wxf-bXqS5s

===

She's is brilliant in this. But she is not ready to be PM. Got to be a top place in next Cabinet though. With a few more years of maturity the Tories have a star on their hands.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Badenoch broke the law?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43694295
  • Options

Eabhal said:

They allow Lefties in rural Dorset?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited July 2022
    tlg86 said:

This might be wishful thinking, but is there a chance TT’s vote backs Badenoch to knock out Truss? I can imagine his backers not caring so much about who wins but caring a lot about who doesn’t win.

Good idea! Could a few Mordaunt supporters could also switch to Badenoch just for the Final Four ballot - just to get rid of Truss.

Then switch back to Mordaunt for the Final Three ballot.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Brexit South?
    Brilliant. Wherever you believe your train may be going you will be disappointed.
    Especially since there’s been a bus replacement service on that line ever since it opened.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Badenoch broke the law?
    Former hacktivists have reacted with bafflement after the Conservative MP Kemi Badenoch admitted that she hacked Harriet Harman’s website in 2008.

Badenoch confessed to the hack, which carried a jail sentence of up to five years at the time she acted, in response to a question about the “naughtiest” thing she had done.

For other politically motivated hackers, breaching the Computer Misuse Act has had serious consequences.

“Considering others have been prosecuted for similar, juvenile attacks on websites, I’ll be curious to see if the law will be applied equally in this case,” said Mustafa Al-Bassam, a former member of the hacking collective LulzSec. When he was 16, Bassam was given a 20-month suspended sentence for breaching the CMA as part of the group’s campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/09/bafflement-over-tory-mps-admission-she-hacked-harriet-harmans-website
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Isandhlwana ...

There's a Dunkirk station in the UK?
    Dunkirk yes; not a Dunkirk station as such though the LC&DR passes very close. Definitely a Brexiter idea for the future, maybe on HS2 if it ever gets going.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Badenoch broke the law?
    Yes, she admitted to hacking
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

OnboardG1 said:
    Badenoch broke the law?
    Yes, she admitted to hacking
    Ah yes.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

It was a lovely day in central London today too. Early next week looks brutal.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104

OnboardG1 said:

theProle said:

JACK_W said:

Sadly not always the case. On Tuesday I noticed an old lady had collapsed on the street. She was being looked after by four or five people while they waited for the ambulance. Four hours later she was still there, now with an umbrella providing shade, and a blanket and pillows.
    I think it is shameful that we have reached this situation. I know it’s been tough the last couple of years, and I’m sure Covid is responsible for a lot of the issues but still.
    I think the issue ultimately is about efficiency. Works well until there is a surge, when it breaks down. Hospital beds is the classic. If you always run at say 95% occupancy or more, when the pressure comes there is nowhere to go.
    And yet, all the leadership contenders will tell you that they can cut taxes by making public services more efficient - which essentially means running things as close to capacity as possible.
This discussion has been closed.