Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

PG/Britain Trump refuses to face reality – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

HYUFD said:

We can take one comfort from current events: those taking Boris's shilling have no future role in Conservative government.

Those saying the next leader and PM has to come from outside Cabinet are right - certainly in the Cabinet as it is constituted tonight.

A majority of 70-odd allows the new PM to clean out the Augean stables.

Up to Tory members to decide if one of Johnson's Cabinet gets to the final 2
    Utter nonsense

It is conservative mps who will decide the final 2 not members

You need a rest if you cannot get this basic fact right
    And if Tory MPs put one of Johnson's Cabinet or Ministers eg Wallace, Truss or Mordaunt in the final 2 then members will decide if they become next leader or not even if say Sunak or Hunt tops the MPs ballot
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

I really didn’t think he would go full on Trump but he has. This is damaging stuff.

There are certain people who reach positions of power in democracies, who demonstrate through their behaviour that given the chance they would take the country into dictatorship. He’s the first British PM I’ve seen this trait in. Trump had it. Clearly Orban, Erdogan and other managed democrats do. Indira Gandhi. De Gaulle got close. But most others ultimately go when asked.

Sorry, but it's been obvious since autumn 2019 at the very latest. Anyone who didn't realise it by that point was not paying attention at all.

You all should not have voted for him. Corbyn and Brexit are not a good enough excuse.
    I am probably in a minority of one.
    But I voted for labour in 2019, and actually regret not voting for Boris.
    Looking back, the danger was always infinetly greater with Corbyn than Boris. That is still true today.
    Can you imagine dealing with the situation in Ukraine with Corbyn as PM?
    There are far bigger issues than this 'trump lite' act of not leaving office when the game is probably up.
    The problems with lying etc are not good, but there is a much bigger picture.

Yes, the bigger picture is you didn't have to vote for either of them. If you voted for Corbyn, you were a numpty.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414

James Forsyth
    @JGForsyth
    ·
    9m
    Tories now heading to a rule change and a no confidence ballot. But some think that could be cathartic for the party, that a heavy defeat for Johnson could make it easier to bring the party back together

Assuming he quits if he loses a VONC….
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Tonight I handed in my letter of resignation to the Chief Whip. https://twitter.com/Simonhartmp/status/1544796759645454342/photo/1
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Seems everyone is hoping that someone else will do the dirty deed

Shehab Khan ITV
    @ShehabKhan
    ·
    8m
    Cabinet clearly don’t want to move just yet.

1922 sources tell me they ideally wanted cabinet to move and sort this so they wouldn’t have to change the rules (obviously not a great look to do that).

Boris Johnson’s position right now is to try and call everyone’s bluff.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912

James Forsyth
    @JGForsyth
    ·
    9m
    Tories now heading to a rule change and a no confidence ballot. But some think that could be cathartic for the party, that a heavy defeat for Johnson could make it easier to bring the party back together

Westminster bars have done good business tonight. Anyway, good impartial commentary from the best man of the leading candidate to replace the PM as leader of our definitely not a Banana Republic.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I hope @Big_G_NorthWales is okay.

I genuinely feel really sorry for decent, hard-working, party members and followers who must be gutted by what is going on.

Fuck him, he voted for this prick
    He didn't. If I recall correctly, he lost his nerve, contemplated resigning, then after the leadership votes were over he seemed to tacitly support BJ indirectly by defending BJ's policies when people criticised them.

Recently he has claimed that he want Boris gone
    General election, 2019.
    Every single one of you who voted Conservative is complicit in this and should apologise.
    Labour gave us the choice of Boris or Corbyn after Corbyn had already been rejected once. Should Labour apologise for sending Corbyn out to bat again?
    The attempts to blame Labour for this are plain weird. If you didn’t like Boris and Corbyn there were other choices such as spoiling the ballot.

If you voted Conservative you own part of this.
    Nah. We didn't dare vote Monster Raving Loony or, more obscurely, LibDem and thereby let Corbyn into No. 10.
    Tonight that attitude has proven to be foolish.
    Not at all. I couldn't countenance Corbyn being PM of the UK. As @biggles said, knowing all that has happened (and not knowing how everyone else might vote, @Farooq ) I would vote the same way again.
    Boris cited his mandate tonight as the reason to stay. That means you.
    Yes and he is of course wrong.
    Can’t be much fun being part of Boris’ figleaf.
    Interesting to note that you, as well as @HYUFD, are choosing to believe what Boris says.
    At least I never voted for the bugger. He was demonstrably unsuited to be pm.
    OF COURSE HE WAS DEMONSTRABLY UNSUITED TO BE PM.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Go back to my earliest posts on the subject and you will find me violently agreeing with you.

But he wasn't Corbyn so I voted for him.
    Foolish.
    Corbyn would let Ukraine twist in the wind.

Voting for anybody supporting THAT would have been foolish.
    If you don’t like Corbyn don’t vote for him, but that never meant you had to vote forBoris.
    You do know how general elections, and in particular general elections in the UK work, don't you?
    Yes thanks.

I am completely in the clear.

Those who voted for Boris are responsible.

No wriggling out.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336
    Simon Hart has resigned
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

If Starmer vonc , decent Tories should now vote for it. An impossible, painful position, but the right thing to do.

Parliament doesn't sit on Fridays. If he VONCed tomorrow, it would not be voted upon until Monday.
    A lot of damage can be done between now and then.
    Speaker and House can call a sitting.
    As I have said a lot earlier - only a full vote of House will now end this.

British Trump is now attempting a coup and he must be stopped.

Then someone (who? Brady?) needs to call Starmer tonight and get him onside. Parliamentary VONC has to be called for tomorrow, and the Conservatives need to be whipped to support the opposition.

Deal with the fallout, and whether a GE follows AFTERWARDS.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I genuinely feel really sorry for decent, hard-working, party members and followers who must be gutted by what is going on.

Nothing changes the hard fact that in 2019 there were two possible governments. That led by Jezza and that led by Boris. The tragedy of subsequent events does not alter at all the rational conviction that of that choice on that day Jezza was the more sub-optimal.

The rational decision was to do what I did and spoil your ballot. If you could not bring yourself to vote for one of the smaller parties either that is.

When you have two unacceptable choices, picking either one is not the logical action. refusing to pick either is the only sensible choice.

Of course this is based on the premise that both Johnson and Corbyn were as bad as each other. I know a lot of people didn't think that at the time which is why I will not berate them in the way Farooq does. But for me it seemed inevitable that where we are now was where we end up with Johnson in charge (generally rather than specifically) so the only sensible choice was to abstain.
    Abstaining doesn't mean a decision won't be made. It means you can have no complaints whatsoever about the result.
    It does mean that neither will be able to claim you as part of their “mandate”.
    I’m with Richard on this.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969

Someone on Twitter has just asked if Oryx (the guy who verifies the Russian and Ukrainian military losses) can do a separate overview of the losses of British ministers in the current crisis :)

I asked one of the Covid-19 stats guys to calculate the R-rate for ministerial resignations.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

When he loses the VoNC, he still won't resign

At that point even I would say he would have to go but we are not there yet
    Do you think he should hang on?
    Until the 1922 change the rules and he loses a VONC happens yes.

If both those events occur then at the point he should go
    Don't you think what he's doing lacks dignity? I just had a text from a friend saying they're laughing at him on Israeli radio and their ex leader is on trial for corruption.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

If Starmer vonc , decent Tories should now vote for it. An impossible, painful position, but the right thing to do.

Parliament doesn't sit on Fridays. If he VONCed tomorrow, it would not be voted upon until Monday.
    A lot of damage can be done between now and then.
    VONC takes precedence over all other business.
    So we could have one tomorrow.
    I thought it was tabled on a day and debated the day after?
    Is that not the norm?
    Could you call for one first thing to happen that day?
    I assumed so. It takes priority over all other business AIUI.
    But I am not an expert and could be wrong.

Simon Hart has resigned

Hart broken
  • Scott_xP said:

They are DEEEP into the wine suitcase in No 10 tonight

James Duddridge argues to @julie_etch on News at Ten that in another two weeks Boris Johnson will have rebuilt his support among the party because MPs will see the changes he’s made. Problem is he’s promised those changes before.
    https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1544795399382335488

This is Boris tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yADrtfAmLTo

(NSFW)
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We can take one comfort from current events: those taking Boris's shilling have no future role in Conservative government.

Those saying the next leader and PM has to come from outside Cabinet are right - certainly in the Cabinet as it is constituted tonight.

Utter nonsense

And if Tory MPs put one of Johnson's Cabinet or Ministers eg Wallace, Truss or Mordaunt in the final 2 then members will decide if they become next leader or not even if say Sunak or Hunt tops the MPs ballot
    So you accept you got it wrong in the first place
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

He didn't. If I recall correctly, he lost his nerve, contemplated resigning, then after the leadership votes were over he seemed to tacitly support BJ indirectly by defending BJ's policies when people criticised them.

General election, 2019.
    Every single one of you who voted Conservative is complicit in this and should apologise.
    Labour gave us the choice of Boris or Corbyn after Corbyn had already been rejected once. Should Labour apologise for sending Corbyn out to bat again?
    The attempts to blame Labour for this are plain weird. If you didn’t like Boris and Corbyn there were other choices such as spoiling the ballot.

Nah. We didn't dare vote Monster Raving Loony or, more obscurely, LibDem and thereby let Corbyn into No. 10.
    Not at all. I couldn't countenance Corbyn being PM of the UK. As @biggles said, knowing all that has happened (and not knowing how everyone else might vote, @Farooq ) I would vote the same way again.
    Interesting to note that you, as well as @HYUFD, are choosing to believe what Boris says.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Go back to my earliest posts on the subject and you will find me violently agreeing with you.

Foolish.

If you don’t like Corbyn don’t vote for him, but that never meant you had to vote forBoris.
    You do know how general elections, and in particular general elections in the UK work, don't you?
    Yes thanks.

No wriggling out.
    I am responsible for keeping the person you supported for PM out. Yes. And very happy I did so.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    Hart finally and belatedly makes it 3 cabinet resignations
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

So, here's a theory of 2 + 2 making 5. But bear with me.

Why doesn't Boris want to quit? When it's obvious that he should.

1. We all know that Carrie wields significant power. Cf the wallpaper, the Cummings debacle, the Abba parties at number 10, etc.

2. We can surmise that Carrie is attracted to power. The BJ incident, etc.

3. The twitter rumours about Carrie and Boris's relationship being on the rocks. Carrie thinking of leaving him for a much richer man, etc. Even if it's not true, the fact is it must be in Boris's head. What happens when he's no longer PM? Does the aphrodisiac wear off?

4. Assume that Boris is competing for the affections of his wife with a man (or men) much richer than he is. What Boris has is power. He can't compete, financially, but he is the PM.

5. So what if he's not the PM? He loses everything. Not just his job, but his wife, family, his - dare I go a bit SeanT - his sexual obsession.

Therefore. He clings on to power by his final fingertip, because it is all he has going for him. For the thing he really wants, which is his wife's affection.

As I say, it is a 2 + 2 = 5 analysis, but it fits with what we know, and explains the bizarre behaviour. Anyone else would see the writing on the wall and go. So why is Boris so keen to cling on to power? To understand a person, understand their objectives, their passions, their obsessions. If Carrie is Boris's obsession, then clinging on to power is his only choice.

Or. He's a sociopath.
    Or, to quote from Ayn Rand (who was also a sociopath), "tell me what a man finds sexually attractive and I will tell you his entire philosophy of life".

For every action there must be a motivation. I am struggling to find one that fits with the available data, given the writing is on the wall. For Boris to be behaving the way he is, he must be afraid of losing something very valuable to him. You could argue it's the job, but he's already lost that, anyone can see that. So what is he afraid of losing? Not money, since he'll earn more as a post-PM. It's power. He is afraid of losing power. I'm proposing one possible reason why he's so afraid of losing power and continuing to deny reality when it's staring him in the face.
    EXCLUSIVE: Nadhim Zahawi has been secretly working with close allies of Sir Lynton Crosby on a Tory leadership bid for months.

https://twitter.com/Geri_E_L_Scott/status/1544797893135056896/photo/1

Despite becoming chancellor yesterday, Zahawi has been preparing a Crosby-approved plan to become prime minister behind the scenes, which includes cutting corporation tax and VAT and looking at stamp duty.

He is understood to be ready to activate the campaign immediately “if shit hits the fan” and the small team had been preparing a resignation letter centred on trust had he not been made chancellor.

More in @thetimes tomorrow.
    kyf_100 said:

1. We all know that Carrie wields significant power. Cf the wallpaper, the Cummings debacle, the Abba parties at number 10, etc.

3. The twitter rumours about Carrie and Boris's relationship being on the rocks. Carrie thinking of leaving him for a much richer man, etc. Even if it's not true, the fact is it must be in Boris's head. What happens when he's no longer PM? Does the aphrodisiac wear off?

4. Assume that Boris is competing for the affections of his wife with a man (or men) much richer than he is. What Boris has is power. He can't compete, financially, but he is the PM.

5. So what if he's not the PM? He loses everything. Not just his job, but his wife, family, his - dare I go a bit SeanT - his sexual obsession.

Therefore. He clings on to power by his final fingertip, because it is all he has going for him. For the thing he really wants, which is his wife's affection.

As I say, it is a 2 + 2 = 5 analysis, but it fits with what we know, and explains the bizarre behaviour. Anyone else would see the writing on the wall and go. So why is Boris so keen to cling on to power? To understand a person, understand their objectives, their passions, their obsessions. If Carrie is Boris's obsession, then clinging on to power is his only choice.

The power itself is the obsession.
    So will BoZo now sack the chancellor?

James Forsyth
    @JGForsyth
    ·
    9m

Assuming he quits if he loses a VONC….
    https://twitter.com/christiancalgie/status/1544787097566994432?t=XDDkmEqHwf0cwrTvKRjcHQ&s=19
    Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

I really didn’t think he would go full on Trump but he has. This is damaging stuff.

There are certain people who reach positions of power in democracies, who demonstrate through their behaviour that given the chance they would take the country into dictatorship. He’s the first British PM I’ve seen this trait in. Trump had it. Clearly Orban, Erdogan and other managed democrats do. Indira Gandhi. De Gaulle got close. But most others ultimately go when asked.

Sorry, but it's been obvious since autumn 2019 at the very latest. Anyone who didn't realise it by that point was not paying attention at all.

You all should not have voted for him. Corbyn and Brexit are not a good enough excuse.
    Looking back, the danger was always infinetly greater with Corbyn than Boris. That is still true today.
    There are far bigger issues than this 'trump lite' act of not leaving office when the game is probably up.

Yes, the bigger picture is you didn't have to vote for either of them. If you voted for Corbyn, you were a numpty.
    It's Farooq's fault everyone.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Utter nonsense

I didn't, I said 'up to Tory members to decide if one of them gets to the final 2' ie Tory members will decide if MPs put one of them in the final 2
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722

Simon Hart has resigned

"Why Richard Simon, it profit a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. . . but for Wales!"

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

That's a given
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited July 2022
    kyf_100 said:

Wouldn't that require a group of extremely rich blokes who are willing to pay a lot of money just to get some sociopathic thrill from shagging the wife of Boris Johnson ?

This sounds like the sort of thing SeanT should be commenting upon.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Stocky said:

Yet Penny M is still 2nd fav.

Incredible.

No one left in this Downfall Cabinet should ever be allowed near government again.

Mordaunt isn't in the cabinet is she?
    No.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Or. He's a sociopath.
    This. If there is a sociopath spectrum, Boris is on it at least with one boot.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

Yes thanks.

No wriggling out.
    You are a Corbynite

Was GE 2019 a huge triumph or a massive defeat for Corbynism?

Do massive defeats typically attract effusive praise or severe blame?

If it had been a huge triumph would we have the problem we now have?

How hard is this stuff, really?

kyf_100 said:

I'm not sure that's true. Boris strikes me as a lot of things, but power mad is not one of them. Power mad people tend to be control freaks, while Boris is clearly lackadaisical in all he does. He enjoys the trappings of power, but is lazy and doesn't care to do the work.

Even clinging on as much as he is now strikes me as antithetical to what we know about Boris. He always picks the easy option. Surely, as a lazy person, he would resign and take the money on the speaking circuit, etc. The option he's picked today is the hard option. So we have to ask ourselves, why is he choosing it?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    kyf_100 said:

I don't think his behaviour is bizarre. To me it was pretty obvious that he wouldn't just resign in the manner of previous PM's when their time is up.
    I think it just isn't his style to resign; he just fights stuff out, disregards conventions etc, as we've seen over and over again. This performance is all in line with what we know about Boris.

kyf_100 said:

Wouldn't that require a group of extremely rich blokes who are willing to pay a lot of money just to get some sociopathic thrill of shagging the wife of Boris Johnson ?

It’s one particular rich man - a former MP who lost his seat in the 2019 election..

4 - don't forget Dowden
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: Nadhim Zahawi has been secretly working with close allies of Sir Lynton Crosby on a Tory leadership bid for months.

Despite becoming chancellor yesterday, Zahawi has been preparing a Crosby-approved plan to become prime minister behind the scenes, which includes cutting corporation tax and VAT and looking at stamp duty.

He is understood to be ready to activate the campaign immediately “if shit hits the fan” and the small team had been preparing a resignation letter centred on trust had he not been made chancellor.

Crosby’s lost whatever magic touch he has then.
    kyf_100 said:

dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

Or. He's a sociopath.
    Or, to quote from Ayn Rand (who was also a sociopath), "tell me what a man finds sexually attractive and I will tell you his entire philosophy of life".

For every action there must be a motivation. I am struggling to find one that fits with the available data, given the writing is on the wall. For Boris to be behaving the way he is, he must be afraid of losing something very valuable to him. You could argue it's the job, but he's already lost that, anyone can see that. So what is he afraid of losing? Not money, since he'll earn more as a post-PM. It's power. He is afraid of losing power. I'm proposing one possible reason why he's so afraid of losing power and continuing to deny reality when it's staring him in the face.
    But. If he knows he's lost his job he knows he's lost his power, doesn't he?
    I mean. A few days.
    He's 59. He's a sad little boy who needs a hug.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,870
    Cicero said:

Sacking Gove is a petty act of vindictive revenge... The last act of possibly the worst man to hold the office of Prime Minister. The damage to the Conservatives is severe, one wonders if a vicious and untrammelled leadership election might risk the party actually falling apart.

A certain amount of Karma for the Conservatives here, after all they did know the guy was a wrong un. "Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad"

Lord North’s ghost is resting easy tonight knowing that he is no longer the worst ever Prime Minister.

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Nothing changes the hard fact that in 2019 there were two possible governments. That led by Jezza and that led by Boris. The tragedy of subsequent events does not alter at all the rational conviction that of that choice on that day Jezza was the more sub-optimal.

The rational decision was to do what I did and spoil your ballot. If you could not bring yourself to vote for one of the smaller parties either that is.

When you have two unacceptable choices, picking either one is not the logical action. refusing to pick either is the only sensible choice.

Of course this is based on the premise that both Johnson and Corbyn were as bad as each other. I know a lot of people didn't think that at the time which is why I will not berate them in the way Farooq does. But for me it seemed inevitable that where we are now was where we end up with Johnson in charge (generally rather than specifically) so the only sensible choice was to abstain.
    I do not understand this at all.
    My ballot paper in 2019 had five options for Bootle. I did not pick Labour or the Conservatives.
    No one was forced to pick between the two. Everyone had more than two choices.

If people thought Johnson is bad but Corbyn is worse, so I'll vote Johnson, they clearly weren't looking at their ballot paper properly.

4 - don't forget Dowden
    Quite right!

kyf_100 said:

Wouldn't that require a group of extremely rich blokes who are willing to pay a lot of money just to get some sociopathic thrill from shagging the wife of Boris Johnson ?

I won't repeat the twitter rumours here for legal reasons but it's not hard to find the specifics of the extremely rich bloke(s).
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

You don’t get the point of wanting Brexit. Anything and everything domestic (including all this Boris crap) is reversible. The EU’s actions were not.
    Demonstrably, EU membership was and is reversible.
    My words were imprecise. EU law was not reversible other by leaving. So as you say, we had to leave. And we did.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Abstaining doesn't mean a decision won't be made. It means you can have no complaints whatsoever about the result.
    No but it does mean you are not responsible and can justifiably attack both sides. As I said I know that people like yourself considered Corbyn the bigger threat and so voted accordingly. That is sensible based on your perceptions. My perception was that both were equally dangerous for the democracy and well being of this country if in perhaps slightly different ways. Hence the reason I refused to vote for either.

2019 was an election where we were going to lose no matter which side won.

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

My ballot paper in 2019 had five options for Bootle. I did not pick Labour or the Conservatives.

If people thought Johnson is bad but Corbyn is worse, so I'll vote Johnson, they clearly weren't looking at their ballot paper properly.
    So you wasted your vote.

At every election I have the choice of 2 parties - either of the ones with a chance of winning the seat. Voting Lib Dem or green round here is a waste of a vote, do you end up voting for the least worst of the main parties.
  • moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Not necessarily. Zahawi has maybe a week in 11 Downing Street it seems during which he can cut taxes ostentatiously to shore up the PM, but in reality showing himself as the real tax cutter unlike Sunak before him, catapulting him up in many members estimations for the leadership race.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    What a nitwit Simon Hart must be.

Too late to make the papers, nobody will even register his departure.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    eek said:

Seems everyone is hoping that someone else will do the dirty deed

Shehab Khan ITV
    @ShehabKhan
    ·
    8m
    Cabinet clearly don’t want to move just yet.

1922 sources tell me they ideally wanted cabinet to move and sort this so they wouldn’t have to change the rules (obviously not a great look to do that).

Boris Johnson’s position right now is to try and call everyone’s bluff.

None of these people should be bluffing, that seems to be the problem.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Alistair said:
    Someone in the replies is updating a chart. I was surprised that Johnson was still behind May. I guess memories fade over time.
    https://twitter.com/timd_IFG/status/1544640427973812226/photo/1
    Scott_xP said:

Zahawi is either an absolute genius or a total fucking moron.
    Nothing in between.
    I am reserving judgement which till we have more evidence.
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

I'm not sure that's true. Boris strikes me as a lot of things, but power mad is not one of them. Power mad people tend to be control freaks, while Boris is clearly lackadaisical in all he does. He enjoys the trappings of power, but is lazy and doesn't care to do the work.

Even clinging on as much as he is now strikes me as antithetical to what we know about Boris. He always picks the easy option. Surely, as a lazy person, he would resign and take the money on the speaking circuit, etc. The option he's picked today is the hard option. So we have to ask ourselves, why is he choosing it?
    Just because he is too lackadaisical to weild power effectively doesn't mean that he isn't motivated by a desire to dominate and impose his will. He is the classic product of an unhappy and unstable childhood, a deeply damaged man. Very dangerous to let him anywhere near power.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    The @Telegraph report the whips’ office have crunched the numbers and worked out Boris Johnson would get just 65 confidence votes out of nearly 360 Tory MPs

https://twitter.com/mrmkimber/status/1544799547658047489?s=21&t=NSean3Rc3lWFcIt0a6lFAA
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

That's simply untrue. Corbyn would have supplied weapons and stood up against the real aggressor: the US's scrooge, Ukraine.

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

Corbyn was fucking useless, his supporters trebly so, and had that not been the case we would not be where we are now. Plenty of blame to go round,, and definitely no shortage for lefty fannies who effectively arranged for phatboi to be elected unopposed.

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

As I said it is game theoretical. If you could rely on everyone who hitherto supported Labour or the Conservatives not to vote for Corbyn or Johnson then yes you are right. But you couldn't so no you are wrong.
    biggles said:

Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

You don’t get the point of wanting Brexit. Anything and everything domestic (including all this Boris crap) is reversible. The EU’s actions were not.
    Demonstrably, EU membership was and is reversible.
    My words were imprecise. EU law was not reversible other by leaving. So as you say, we had to leave. And we did.
    Well, no, we didn't have to. Demonstrably many people in many countries are happy to be in the EU.
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

Yes thanks.

No wriggling out.
    You are a Corbynite

If you voted for Boris it's your fault.

Everything else is irrelevant excuse making

xx
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Scott_xP said:

Oh, go on then. Think I will. Must be the response.

• The @Telegraph report the whips’ office have crunched the numbers and worked out Boris Johnson would get just 65 confidence votes out of nearly 360 Tory MPs

https://twitter.com/mrmkimber/status/1544799547658047489?s=21&t=NSean3Rc3lWFcIt0a6lFAA

That's Jeremy Corbyn levels of Confidence.

Of course Corbyn then spent four more years in office. Boris will be lucky to get four more days.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

That does happen to be the policy of most of the world.

The @Telegraph report the whips’ office have crunched the numbers and worked out Boris Johnson would get just 65 confidence votes out of nearly 360 Tory MPs

But that’s before they’ve seen the Johnson/Zahawi proposal for a zero percent tax rate on public officials.

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

Yes thanks.

No wriggling out.
    You are a Corbynite

xx
    If you arranged for the opposition to him to be a drooling antisemite, you are complicit ❤
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

Corbyn was fucking useless, his supporters trebly so, and had that not been the case we would not be where we are now. Plenty of blame to go round,, and definitely no shortage for lefty fannies who effectively arranged for phatboi to be elected unopposed.
    Nah. If you vote for it, you own it. I understand why you want to wriggle out of it and you have my sympathy. But a small part of this is yours.
    eek said:

kyf_100 said:

Wouldn't that require a group of extremely rich blokes who are willing to pay a lot of money just to get some sociopathic thrill of shagging the wife of Boris Johnson ?

It’s one particular rich man - a former MP who lost his seat in the 2019 election..
    Dennis Skinner ?
    edited July 2022
    Defenstrate, eject him from the party and make it clear he will never be ennobled nor given honours. He will not enrich himself on the public purse for a single day beyond his loss of his seat. Make him, to the establishment and politics of the UK, a non person.
    I hope Gove utterly buries him.

Someone called SHart went at the wrong time?

moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Not necessarily. Zahawi has maybe a week in 11 Downing Street it seems during which he can cut taxes ostentatiously to shore up the PM, but in reality showing himself as the real tax cutter unlike Sunak before him, catapulting him up in many members estimations for the leadership race.
    The speedy tax cutting budget is, I think, something that a lot of people are missing out the possible significance of. If its shoe horned in before Boris goes, his successor is stuck with it. Can you imagine sometime in August a new leader & chancellor saying, 'nah we are reversing all of that'. Not happening.
    Told Boris Johnson is struggling to persuade people to replace key Cabinet roles and tonight

People just aren’t willing to risk their reputations

Some of those approached are already considering quitting themselves

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544799934276423687
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Can someone check if one can prorogue the Conservative Party?
    eek said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

So you wasted your vote.

At every election I have the choice of 2 parties - either of the ones with a chance of winning the seat. Voting Lib Dem or green round here is a waste of a vote, do you end up voting for the least worst of the main parties.
    Exactly.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited July 2022

I assume that's the name Sam Coates was referring to, so presumably he has been intending to resign for at least a few hours. But as you say he's picked the most pointless moment to announce it.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I went and voted. My vote was to spoil my ballot. No one else on the ballot was worthy of support. Saying none of the above is as much a choice as picking any one candidate. And in many cases is by far the most sensible choice.
    eek said:

So you wasted your vote.

Personally, your first comment is a disgrace.
    How should I vote in Bootle? Come on. Tell me?!

Labour? They're going to get a MAJORITY greater than most MPs vote.
    Anyone else? They're going to lose their deposit.

Please solve the problem for me.
    AND NO, I DO NOT ACCEPT MOVING HOUSE.

And no, I do not accept I waste my vote.
    How very dare you.............

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    ·
    3m
    Told Boris Johnson is struggling to persuade people to replace key Cabinet roles and tonight

People just aren’t willing to risk their reputations

Some of those approached are already considering quitting themselves
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

But Corbyn was begat by Miliband.
    And Miliband was beget by Iraq.
    And Iraq was begat by Blair/Campbell.
    And Blair/Campbell were begat by Thatcher/Murdoch
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

Thankfully not ours.
  • IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

Yes thanks.

No wriggling out.
    You are a Corbynite

xx
    I voted for and supported Boris in 2019, and if I had a Tardis knowing then what I know now . . . I'd do the same thing all over again.

He was right person to get rid of Corbyn, and the right person to get Brexit done. But that's over now, its time for him to go.

Sometimes you need a Nixon to go to China, but once he's been to China, you don't need to keep the Nixon. Especially post -gate. Our unwritten constitution is great for the ruthlessness with which our MPs in Parliament can oust PMs.

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

But thankfully, not those with the weapons and will to prevent it.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    kyf_100 said:

I wonder what the Johnson ministry would have been like if he'd stayed with Marina?

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Yeah.
    Precious few had the.option of voting for Johnson or Corbyn.
    No one had the choice of either.
    That's a slippery slope to Boris' 14 million vote mandate.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414

Good. Shame him.

Of course Corbyn then spent four more years in office. Boris will be lucky to get four more days.
    65 MPs though is the difference between the Tory majority in the Commons and not.

If Boris lost they would need to commit to support the new Tory leader as PM to avoid a general election
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

It's your fault

Stop wriggling

Examine your conscience deep down you know it.

Naughty corner with Farooq and TOPPING for you.

GE then.

Good. Shame him.
    More to the point, shame those 65.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Utter nonsense

I didn't, I said 'up to Tory members to decide if one of them gets to the final 2' ie Tory members will decide if MPs put one of them in the final 2
    How? Telepathy?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Scott_xP said:

Centered on trust

:lol:
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Utter nonsense

'up to Tory members to decide, if one of them gets to the final 2' …
    ie Tory members will decide if MPs put one of them in the final 2
    Could have used a comma there, HYUFD - see my edit above.
    You would have made yourself clearer.
    Yokes said:

moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

The speedy tax cutting budget is, I think, something that a lot of people are missing out the possible significance of. If its shoe horned in before Boris goes, his successor is stuck with it. Can you imagine sometime in August a new leader & chancellor saying, 'nah we are reversing all of that'. Not happening.
    A emergency Finance Bill would need to pass the House surely?
    Jonathan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

Nah. If you vote for it, you own it. I understand why you want to wriggle out of it and you have my sympathy. But a small part of this is yours.
    Exactly. A small part of this is ours. A fucking humongous part of it is yours and the Labour Party's.
    HYUFD said:

65 MPs though is the difference between the Tory majority in the Commons and not.

If Boris lost they would need to commit to support the new Tory leader as PM to avoid a general election
    Why wouldn't they ?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    edited July 2022
    As stated before I registered a Conservative protest vote against Corbyn in the safe Labour seat of Huddersfield in 2019.

I contributed to Boris's vote share, but felt no risk I would be contributing to his MP count or majority, which turned out correct.

I had come to the conclusion, having gone LD in 2017 when there was a slight chance of a May landslide taking HD, that my vote hadn't been strong enough, and that taking an extra one off of the Labour majority by backing 2nd place, I was doing the most I could to get rid of Corbyn and aid the cause of a Social Democratic party of power.

My GE19 vote was delivered, not by Brexit, but by the election of SKS as leader.

In the Red Wall and marginals, in Uxbridge, my vote would certainly have been different.
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Theory down thread, he doesnt give a stuff.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,870

It's Eid this Saturday, I'm meant to not focus on politics this weekend.

#GoingToDisappointMyMotherOnceMore

Eid Mubarak for Saturday @TheScreamingEagles
    rcs1000 said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

That's simply untrue. Corbyn would have supplied weapons and stood up against the real aggressor: the US's scrooge, Ukraine.
    Listen to yourself.

I thought you were a rational human being.
    edited July 2022

HYUFD said:

Why wouldn't they ?
    We are in uncharted territory, it depends how Boris fanatical they are. Not completely impossible Boris could instantly form his own populist party, some of them defect to it and vote for a general election with the opposition
This discussion has been closed.