Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

PG/Britain Trump refuses to face reality – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341

Yokes said:

moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: Nadhim Zahawi has been secretly working with close allies of Sir Lynton Crosby on a Tory leadership bid for months.

https://twitter.com/Geri_E_L_Scott/status/1544797893135056896/photo/1

Despite becoming chancellor yesterday, Zahawi has been preparing a Crosby-approved plan to become prime minister behind the scenes, which includes cutting corporation tax and VAT and looking at stamp duty.

He is understood to be ready to activate the campaign immediately “if shit hits the fan” and the small team had been preparing a resignation letter centred on trust had he not been made chancellor.

More in @thetimes tomorrow.

Crosby’s lost whatever magic touch he has then.
    Not necessarily. Zahawi has maybe a week in 11 Downing Street it seems during which he can cut taxes ostentatiously to shore up the PM, but in reality showing himself as the real tax cutter unlike Sunak before him, catapulting him up in many members estimations for the leadership race.
    The speedy tax cutting budget is, I think, something that a lot of people are missing out the possible significance of. If its shoe horned in before Boris goes, his successor is stuck with it. Can you imagine sometime in August a new leader & chancellor saying, 'nah we are reversing all of that'. Not happening.
    A emergency Finance Bill would need to pass the House surely?
    There’s a Tory majority for unfunded tax cuts I reckon.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,241

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    ·
    3m
    Told Boris Johnson is struggling to persuade people to replace key Cabinet roles and tonight

People just aren’t willing to risk their reputations

Some of those approached are already considering quitting themselves

He needs to remember that there is no constitutional requirement for ministers of the crown to be members of either house of parliament. Simply appoint his wife and the KGB guy as ministers. Nobody will care - remember that he has a personal mandate from the people of the world. So screw all these namby-pamby communist remainer Tory MPs.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    Christ, given the quality of some of the rebels (Duguid etc) how fucking retarded and morally compromised are the 65?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    An extraordinary found video. Pro-choice activists “twerking” for the rights of women to abort.

Check the people, the noise, the music, the degradation of everything. The moral trashiness, the sad debasement. America is finished. England must save herself

https://twitter.com/blacknessinxtra/status/1541390815041392640?s=21&t=3rgMmktA6IqrAdXrLYsFWQ
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

I really didn’t think he would go full on Trump but he has. This is damaging stuff.

There are certain people who reach positions of power in democracies, who demonstrate through their behaviour that given the chance they would take the country into dictatorship. He’s the first British PM I’ve seen this trait in. Trump had it. Clearly Orban, Erdogan and other managed democrats do. Indira Gandhi. De Gaulle got close. But most others ultimately go when asked.

Sorry, but it's been obvious since autumn 2019 at the very latest. Anyone who didn't realise it by that point was not paying attention at all.

You all should not have voted for him. Corbyn and Brexit are not a good enough excuse.
    I am probably in a minority of one.
    But I voted for labour in 2019, and actually regret not voting for Boris.
    Looking back, the danger was always infinetly greater with Corbyn than Boris. That is still true today.
    Can you imagine dealing with the situation in Ukraine with Corbyn as PM?
    There are far bigger issues than this 'trump lite' act of not leaving office when the game is probably up.
    The problems with lying etc are not good, but there is a much bigger picture.

Yes, the bigger picture is you didn't have to vote for either of them. If you voted for Corbyn, you were a numpty.
    It's Farooq's fault everyone.
    Corbyn was fucking useless, his supporters trebly so, and had that not been the case we would not be where we are now. Plenty of blame to go round,, and definitely no shortage for lefty fannies who effectively arranged for phatboi to be elected unopposed.
    It's your fault

Stop wriggling

Examine your conscience deep down you know it.

Naughty corner with Farooq and TOPPING for you.
    You've been a supporter of Corbyn AND Boris. Is there a corner naughty enough to contain the likes of you? Some kind of MC Escher painting is necessary. I don't think three dimensions is enough.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202

Yokes said:

moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: Nadhim Zahawi has been secretly working with close allies of Sir Lynton Crosby on a Tory leadership bid for months.

Despite becoming chancellor yesterday, Zahawi has been preparing a Crosby-approved plan to become prime minister behind the scenes, which includes cutting corporation tax and VAT and looking at stamp duty.

He is understood to be ready to activate the campaign immediately “if shit hits the fan” and the small team had been preparing a resignation letter centred on trust had he not been made chancellor.

Not necessarily. Zahawi has maybe a week in 11 Downing Street it seems during which he can cut taxes ostentatiously to shore up the PM, but in reality showing himself as the real tax cutter unlike Sunak before him, catapulting him up in many members estimations for the leadership race.
    The speedy tax cutting budget is, I think, something that a lot of people are missing out the possible significance of. If its shoe horned in before Boris goes, his successor is stuck with it. Can you imagine sometime in August a new leader & chancellor saying, 'nah we are reversing all of that'. Not happening.
    Do you think enough Conservative MPs would rebel? Not sure of that.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I hope @Big_G_NorthWales is okay.

I genuinely feel really sorry for decent, hard-working, party members and followers who must be gutted by what is going on.

Fuck him, he voted for this prick
    Nothing changes the hard fact that in 2019 there were two possible governments. That led by Jezza and that led by Boris. The tragedy of subsequent events does not alter at all the rational conviction that of that choice on that day Jezza was the more sub-optimal.

The rational decision was to do what I did and spoil your ballot. If you could not bring yourself to vote for one of the smaller parties either that is.

When you have two unacceptable choices, picking either one is not the logical action. refusing to pick either is the only sensible choice.

Of course this is based on the premise that both Johnson and Corbyn were as bad as each other. I know a lot of people didn't think that at the time which is why I will not berate them in the way Farooq does. But for me it seemed inevitable that where we are now was where we end up with Johnson in charge (generally rather than specifically) so the only sensible choice was to abstain.
    I do not understand this at all.
    My ballot paper in 2019 had five options for Bootle. I did not pick Labour or the Conservatives.
    No one was forced to pick between the two. Everyone had more than two choices.

If people thought Johnson is bad but Corbyn is worse, so I'll vote Johnson, they clearly weren't looking at their ballot paper properly.
    All 5 of them standing for parties with a realistic chance of forming a government, obv.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    dixiedean said:

The @Telegraph report the whips’ office have crunched the numbers and worked out Boris Johnson would get just 65 confidence votes out of nearly 360 Tory MPs

https://twitter.com/mrmkimber/status/1544799547658047489?s=21&t=NSean3Rc3lWFcIt0a6lFAA

GE then.
    So be it. Boris won't be leading the Tory party in it and SKS might not be leading Labour.
    Mystery leaders knocking up mystery policies in the teeth of economic meltdown.
    What larks Pip
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    Pro_Rata said:

As stated before I registered a Conservative protest vote against Corbyn in the safe Labour seat of Huddersfield in 2019.

I contributed to Boris's vote share, but felt no risk I would be contributing to his MP count or majority, which turned out correct.

I had come to the conclusion, having gone LD in 2017 when there was a slight chance of a May landslide taking HD, that my vote hadn't been strong enough, and that taking an extra one off of the Labour majority by backing 2nd place, I was doing the most I could to get rid of Corbyn and aid the cause of a Social Democratic party of power.

My GE19 vote was delivered, not by Brexit, but by the election of SKS as leader.

Well done you.

You need to go to its my fault corner.

It's getting rather crowded over there.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

I really didn’t think he would go full on Trump but he has. This is damaging stuff.

There are certain people who reach positions of power in democracies, who demonstrate through their behaviour that given the chance they would take the country into dictatorship. He’s the first British PM I’ve seen this trait in. Trump had it. Clearly Orban, Erdogan and other managed democrats do. Indira Gandhi. De Gaulle got close. But most others ultimately go when asked.

Sorry, but it's been obvious since autumn 2019 at the very latest. Anyone who didn't realise it by that point was not paying attention at all.

You all should not have voted for him. Corbyn and Brexit are not a good enough excuse.
    Looking back, the danger was always infinetly greater with Corbyn than Boris. That is still true today.
    There are far bigger issues than this 'trump lite' act of not leaving office when the game is probably up.

Yes, the bigger picture is you didn't have to vote for either of them. If you voted for Corbyn, you were a numpty.
    Corbyn was fucking useless, his supporters trebly so, and had that not been the case we would not be where we are now. Plenty of blame to go round,, and definitely no shortage for lefty fannies who effectively arranged for phatboi to be elected unopposed.
    It's your fault

Stop wriggling

A corner of honour.

Thing is, no one's wriggling.

We or at least I am saying I am very happy I voted for Boris instead of Jezza. Delighted. Relieved. You name it. Not wriggling.
  • Options

Christ, given the quality of some of the rebels (Duguid etc) how fucking retarded and morally compromised are the 65?

I’m going to say 40 who, like Dorries, know their jobs depend on him for now. 25 who hope they can now have a job but otherwise couldn’t.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Scott_xP said:

Oh, go on then. Think I will. Must be the response.

"Message to Tory rebels" lol. Those Tory rebels are now the bulk of the Party.

I have no idea what Boris thinks he can achieve by hanging around now. It certainly isn't the furtherance of his legacy. Everything that has come into contact with him will be prone to being airbrushed from history. The longer he hangs around, the thicker the paint.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The @Telegraph report the whips’ office have crunched the numbers and worked out Boris Johnson would get just 65 confidence votes out of nearly 360 Tory MPs

https://twitter.com/mrmkimber/status/1544799547658047489?s=21&t=NSean3Rc3lWFcIt0a6lFAA

That's Jeremy Corbyn levels of Confidence.

Of course Corbyn then spent four more years in office. Boris will be lucky to get four more days.
    65 MPs though is the difference between the Tory majority in the Commons and not.

If Boris lost they would need to commit to support the new Tory leader as PM to avoid a general election
    Why wouldn't they ?
    We are in uncharted territory, it depends how Boris fanatical they are
    They just like you will wholeheartedly back the new leader as Johnson disappears to make millions
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

3. The twitter rumours about Carrie and Boris's relationship being on the rocks. Carrie thinking of leaving him for a much richer man, etc. Even if it's not true, the fact is it must be in Boris's head. What happens when he's no longer PM? Does the aphrodisiac wear off?

4. Assume that Boris is competing for the affections of his wife with a man (or men) much richer than he is. What Boris has is power. He can't compete, financially, but he is the PM.

I wonder what the Johnson ministry would have been like if he'd stayed with Marina?
    That's something I've wondered about as well.

Boris needed someone to keep him at least reasonably on the 'straight and narrow' as he lacks the discipline and maturity to do so himself.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    The lord chancellor, @DominicRaab, is boo’d during his speech at annual judges’ dinner when he says that industrial action by @TheCriminalBar is ‘regrettable’ & ‘disappointing’.
    https://twitter.com/legalhackette/status/1544793501594001409
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    kjh said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I genuinely feel really sorry for decent, hard-working, party members and followers who must be gutted by what is going on.

He didn't. If I recall correctly, he lost his nerve, contemplated resigning, then after the leadership votes were over he seemed to tacitly support BJ indirectly by defending BJ's policies when people criticised them.

Recently he has claimed that he want Boris gone
    General election, 2019.
    Every single one of you who voted Conservative is complicit in this and should apologise.
    Labour gave us the choice of Boris or Corbyn after Corbyn had already been rejected once. Should Labour apologise for sending Corbyn out to bat again?
    The attempts to blame Labour for this are plain weird. If you didn’t like Boris and Corbyn there were other choices such as spoiling the ballot.

If you voted Conservative you own part of this.
    Nah. We didn't dare vote Monster Raving Loony or, more obscurely, LibDem and thereby let Corbyn into No. 10.
    Tonight that attitude has proven to be foolish.
    Not at all. I couldn't countenance Corbyn being PM of the UK. As @biggles said, knowing all that has happened (and not knowing how everyone else might vote, @Farooq ) I would vote the same way again.
    Boris cited his mandate tonight as the reason to stay. That means you.
    Yes and he is of course wrong.
    Can’t be much fun being part of Boris’ figleaf.
    Interesting to note that you, as well as @HYUFD, are choosing to believe what Boris says.
    At least I never voted for the bugger. He was demonstrably unsuited to be pm.
    OF COURSE HE WAS DEMONSTRABLY UNSUITED TO BE PM.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Go back to my earliest posts on the subject and you will find me violently agreeing with you.

But he wasn't Corbyn so I voted for him.
    Foolish.
    Corbyn would let Ukraine twist in the wind.

Voting for anybody supporting THAT would have been foolish.
    That does happen to be the policy of most of the world.
    Thankfully not ours.
    Indeed not, but the idea of not getting as enmeshed in it as we seem to be is hardly an unthinkable concept.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

It's your fault

Stop wriggling

A corner of honour.

We or at least I am saying I am very happy I voted for Boris instead of Jezza. Delighted. Relieved. You name it. Not wriggling.
    Your fault.

Glad you own it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Of course Corbyn then spent four more years in office. Boris will be lucky to get four more days.
    65 MPs though is the difference between the Tory majority in the Commons and not.

If Boris lost they would need to commit to support the new Tory leader as PM to avoid a general election
    Why wouldn't they ?
    Indeed. Their loyalty to him ends the second he has no gifts to bestow. Its literally just him and probably Mad Nad that would destroy the party over it all post defenestration
  • Options
    Leon said:

An extraordinary found video. Pro-choice activists “twerking” for the rights of women to abort.

Check the people, the noise, the music, the degradation of everything. The moral trashiness, the sad debasement. America is finished. England must save herself

https://twitter.com/blacknessinxtra/status/1541390815041392640?s=21&t=3rgMmktA6IqrAdXrLYsFWQ

Checked it, struggling to find a single thing there that's degrading, trashy or debased.

Especially for someone who claims to have lived hedonistic sex and drug fuelled bender of a life as a sex toy flint knapper.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Yokes said:

moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Do you think enough Conservative MPs would rebel? Not sure of that.
    I think they would. The new PM needs to have maximum flexibility to weather the economic crisis will be their thinking.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Leon said:

Well they don't have the SC on their side
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    HYUFD said:

Turkeys and Christmas
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited July 2022

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

It's your fault

Stop wriggling

A corner of honour.

Your fault.

Glad you own it.
    I own keeping your man out. 100%. You own putting me in the position of having to do so.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

It's your fault

Stop wriggling

A corner of honour.

Your fault.

Glad you own it.
    Absolutely. And if the alternative were Corbyn again, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Your fault you put Corbyn up as the alternative.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

Sorry, but it's been obvious since autumn 2019 at

It's your fault

Stop wriggling

A corner of honour.

Yup. Boris could have shat through my letterbox and impregnated my wife and I’d still rather him than Corbyn.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

Leon said:

Checked it, struggling to find a single thing there that's degrading, trashy or debased.

Especially for someone who claims to have lived hedonistic sex and drug fuelled bender of a life as a sex toy flint knapper.
    He's male.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,756

Scott_xP said:

Oh, go on then. Think I will. Must be the response.

or to put it less succinctly...

"I am in blood / Stepped in so far, that, should I wade no more, / Returning were as tedious as go o'er"
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited July 2022
    Suella Braverman calling on Boris to resign live on Peston.

Guessing she'll have to go or she might get the sack too.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

He didn't. If I recall correctly, he lost his nerve, contemplated resigning, then after the leadership votes were over he seemed to tacitly support BJ indirectly by defending BJ's policies when people criticised them.

General election, 2019.
    Every single one of you who voted Conservative is complicit in this and should apologise.
    I did not vote in 2019. I voted LibDem in 2017. I might never bother voting ever again.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Zahawi is either an absolute genius or a total fucking moron.
    Nothing in between.
    I am reserving judgement which till we have more evidence.
    I’m going with genius. Just because, round about now, it would be totally fucking superb if it turned out there was a genius waiting to be prime minister. We need one
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,990
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

When he loses the VoNC, he still won't resign

At that point even I would say he would have to go but we are not there yet
    Do you think he should hang on?
    Until the 1922 change the rules and he loses a VONC happens yes.

If both those events occur then at the point he should go
    The 1922 need to make sure that any rule changes don’t come back to bite them on the bum in the future.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

but not resigning apparently
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why wouldn't they ?
    We are in uncharted territory, it depends how Boris fanatical they are. Not completely impossible Boris could instantly form his own populist party, some of them defect to it and vote for a general election with the opposition
    There aren’t anywhere near 65 such MPs. As soon as power slips from his fingers, the aura will disappear.

• Options
    Blistering stuff from @SuellaBraverman on #peston She says “untenable” for him to continue as leader https://twitter.com/anushkaasthana/status/1544803361555451905
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    I did not vote in 2019. I voted LibDem in 2017. I might never bother voting ever again.
    Sorry, 1st line was to you, 2nd line was to the room. I didn't imagine you were a recent Conservative voter.
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

Braverman?
    Gosh.
  • Options
    Braverman on Peston saying Johnson must go
  • Options
    Sorry, I don’t know the original source. https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1544803737788719107/photo/1

• Options
    biggles said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

It's your fault

Stop wriggling

A corner of honour.

Yup. Boris could have shat through my letterbox and impregnated my wife and I’d still rather him than Corbyn.

Are you sure he hasn't?

Pleased to see you taking responsibility for the complete mess.

The corner is over there on the extreme right
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    RH1992 said:

Ok that’s it.
    Now it really is over.

Braverman is the lowest of the low.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    ·
    3m
    Told Boris Johnson is struggling to persuade people to replace key Cabinet roles and tonight

People just aren’t willing to risk their reputations

Some of those approached are already considering quitting themselves

Suella turns her coat on Peston.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited July 2022
    EPG said:

Can someone check if one can prorogue the Conservative Party?

Indeed.

As entertaining as all this is for us anoraks on PB the Conservative Party is dragging the country into the gutter with these 3 yearly psychodrama's.

First we had the fool Cameron playing Russian Roulette with the electorate in the referendum and then flouncing off when it blew up in his face.

Then we had the dreaded Theresa May and the idiotic 2017 general election followed by all the paralysis of the 2017-2019 Parliament selfishly refusing the implement the referendum result and her eventual evisceration by the Tories.

Now we have all the trauma of the end days of Boris...

The Tory Party seems to think their own never ending soap opera is more important than the good governance of the country but I have a feeling people have lost patience now.

Whoever replaces Johnson is done for I think... A majority Labour government and a period in Opposition for the Tories to sort themselves out seems the only sensible way forward after this six year shambles..
  • Options
    Braverman is running for leader!!!!!
  • Options
    But Suella Braverman says she won’t step down as attorney general because of her duty to the role. She doesn’t rule out getting sacked by the PM, though https://twitter.com/anushkaasthana/status/1544803361555451905
  • Options
    Breaking - @SuellaBraverman says she will run for leader
  • Options
    Surely he has to sack her now
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Blistering stuff from @SuellaBraverman on #peston She says “untenable” for him to continue as leader https://twitter.com/anushkaasthana/status/1544803361555451905

Only because she has also just announced a leadership bid on a platform of, in her words, 'getting rid of woke rubbish'
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

Just for giggles i hooe i wake up to Nadine and Mogg announcing its time to go and they are running on a timeshare for the top job. Nadine in the present and Mogg as Gladstone's replacement
  • Options

Braverman on Peston saying Johnson must go

He isn't that brave.

Everybody else has already said it
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

Would have had her down as one of the 65.

64 then. And counting down....
  • Options

Leon said:

That video is genius. It is the Decline and Fall of the American Empire in 55 seconds. It’s all in there, and there is so much to admire

The obese white girl at the end tonelessly screaming JUST FUCKING GAAAA at the black girls “twerking their asses” for the Rights of Women is like Otto Dix run through DALLE-9
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    edited July 2022
    Suella throws her hat into the leadership ring. Big attack on the EU, the ECJ and the woke. Place your bets.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,837

RH1992 said:

Ok that’s it.
    Now it really is over.

Braverman is the lowest of the low.
    That’s the most shocking news of the day .
  • Options
    Braverman looks like a Wallace & Gromit character
  • Options

RH1992 said:

Would have had her down as one of the 65.

64 then. And counting down....
    I'm struggling to get to half a dozen.

JRM, Nads, Boris himself and ...

Duguid, Anderson, Braverman etc all calling for him to go today, those aren't 'the usual suspects'. There can't be many left.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661

Braverman is running for leader!!!!!

I don't think anyone had mentioned her name in connection with the leadership.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That video is genius. It is the Decline and Fall of the American Empire in 55 seconds. It’s all in there, and there is so much to admire

The obese white girl at the end tonelessly screaming JUST FUCKING GAAAA at the black girls “twerking their asses” for the Rights of Women is like Otto Dix run through DALLE-9
    What's wrong with any of that?

Is it the black girls you have an issue with? Or twerking? Or women having rights?

I'm struggling to see what you find objectionable. Do you think it'd be better if women knew their place was in a kitchen with no control over their own bodies and wore a burqa if they went out in public?
  • Options
    England doesn't need an Attorney General or Solicitor General anyway. One resigned, the other mo=ust get sacked.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Just when I thought today couldn't get any more surreal and fucking ace and totally improbable.
    Shortly after 11pm the first open candidate for leader is.
    Suella Braverman!
    We need a Buddhist PM. Even one with no lineage.
    Go on. It'll be a laugh.
  • Options
    This is really significant because @SuellaBraverman is one of the Spartans - the Conservative MPs who voted against Theresa May’s Brexit deal in every major vote. So difficult to say PM being challenged in a Remainer plot
    https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1544805461765013504
    https://twitter.com/anushkaasthana/status/1544803361555451905
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814

Pro_Rata said:

As stated before I registered a Conservative protest vote against Corbyn in the safe Labour seat of Huddersfield in 2019.

I contributed to Boris's vote share, but felt no risk I would be contributing to his MP count or majority, which turned out correct.

I had come to the conclusion, having gone LD in 2017 when there was a slight chance of a May landslide taking HD, that my vote hadn't been strong enough, and that taking an extra one off of the Labour majority by backing 2nd place, I was doing the most I could to get rid of Corbyn and aid the cause of a Social Democratic party of power.

My GE19 vote was delivered, not by Brexit, but by the election of SKS as leader.

Well done you.

You need to go to its my fault corner.

It's getting rather crowded over there.
    Hang on, there. I missed the thread in which you disavowed Boris.

You'd have happily elected an actual real life Tory MP as recently as a month ago.

I never resolved to do as much.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

eek said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Nothing changes the hard fact that in 2019 there were two possible governments. That led by Jezza and that led by Boris. The tragedy of subsequent events does not alter at all the rational conviction that of that choice on that day Jezza was the more sub-optimal.

The rational decision was to do what I did and spoil your ballot. If you could not bring yourself to vote for one of the smaller parties either that is.

When you have two unacceptable choices, picking either one is not the logical action. refusing to pick either is the only sensible choice.

Of course this is based on the premise that both Johnson and Corbyn were as bad as each other. I know a lot of people didn't think that at the time which is why I will not berate them in the way Farooq does. But for me it seemed inevitable that where we are now was where we end up with Johnson in charge (generally rather than specifically) so the only sensible choice was to abstain.
    My ballot paper in 2019 had five options for Bootle. I did not pick Labour or the Conservatives.

If people thought Johnson is bad but Corbyn is worse, so I'll vote Johnson, they clearly weren't looking at their ballot paper properly.
    So you wasted your vote.

At every election I have the choice of 2 parties - either of the ones with a chance of winning the seat. Voting Lib Dem or green round here is a waste of a vote, do you end up voting for the least worst of the main parties.
    Don't you think that it's about time we did something about our electoral system if the best it can do is give us a choice between Corbyn and Johnson?

It has always been a poor system but now that even that is dictated by a few thousand self-selected and often extremist party members then the system is not fit for purpose.

The last election was a lose-lose situation whatever people did
    On the Contrary more equality, fairness, houses galore free Broadband, the NHS saved, a safer world or Boris.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited July 2022
    Another taste of America in 2022. A traffic argument becomes a shouting match about race: "You're breathing my air, you f-ing coloniser."

Pt 1: https://twitter.com/Wtfportland1/status/1543012260330672128

Pt 2: https://twitter.com/Wtfportland1/status/1543012669090701312
  • Options
    Are there any Tory MPs not preparing to throw their hat into the ring for the leadership?
  • Options
    Now Justice PPS calls for PM to go too. That's at least 3 ministers/PPS who have publicly called on Boris Johnson to resign but are still in their jobs. More sackings to come tomorrow? https://twitter.com/JasonMcCartney/status/1544804610484932612
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    GIN1138 said:

EPG said:

Can someone check if one can prorogue the Conservative Party?

Indeed.

As entertaining as all this is for us anoraks on PB the Conservative Party is dragging the country into the gutter with these 3 yearly psychodrama's.

First we had the fool Cameron playing Russian Roulette with the electorate in the referendum and then flouncing off when it blew up in his face.

Then we had the dreaded Theresa May and the idiotic 2017 general election followed by all the paralysis of the 2017-2019 Parliament selfishly refusing the implement the referendum result and her eventual evisceration by the Tories.

Now we have all the trauma of the end days of Boris...

The Tory Party seems to think their own never ending soap opera is more important than the good governance of the country but I have a feeling people have lost patience now.

Whoever replaces Johnson is done for I think... A majority Labour government and a period in Opposition for the Tories to sort themselves out seems the only sensible way forward after this six year shambles..
    What this really is, is the end point of the Tories' Europe obsession. Not Brexit. This goes way, way back to the 1990s when the fear of UKIP began to grip them and a sizeable and growing fraction of them would push the anti-Europe agenda to keep UKIPs tanks off the Tory lawn.

And it worked, right up to 2016 when they saddled themselves with Brexit.

And now we are here.

What will the Tory Party look like next week? Next month? Next year.
  • Options
    In tomorrow's Times I report that junior Conservative MPs are forming plans to back a "new generation" leadership candidate.

Sources named three candidates they might back: Kemi Badenoch, Simon Clarke, Suella Braverman

Great to have a story stood up so quickly!
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1544804946826125318
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

What's wrong with any of that?

Is it the black girls you have an issue with? Or twerking? Or women having rights?

I'm struggling to see what you find objectionable. Do you think it'd be better if women knew their place was in a kitchen with no control over their own bodies and wore a burqa if they went out in public?
    Leon doesn't think it's seemly for women to act like that unless he's paid them for it
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is really significant because @SuellaBraverman is one of the Spartans - the Conservative MPs who voted against Theresa May’s Brexit deal in every major vote. So difficult to say PM being challenged in a Remainer plot
    https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1544805461765013504
    https://twitter.com/anushkaasthana/status/1544803361555451905

Boris lost significant amounts of the Spartans due to the Covid restrictions, and especially extending them even post-vaccines.

That was the beginning of the end of my support for him.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    There seems to be a new thing of openly calling on the PM to go but not actually resigning. So what are you then? A freelance Minister? How do you serve as part of the PMs cabinet?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    HYUFD said:

They would. It's not even up for debate.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022

Another taste of America in 2022. A traffic argument becomes a shouting match about race: "You're breathing my air, you f-ing coloniser."

Portland is f##ked.

https://twitter.com/Wtfportland1/status/1544670364701052930?s=20&t=RrsBM_xXfJozUZ-rqIvR9A
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581

RH1992 said:

Just for giggles i hooe i wake up to Nadine and Mogg announcing its time to go and they are running on a timeshare for the top job. Nadine in the present and Mogg as Gladstone's replacement
    Correction - Moog as Duke of Buckingham's replacement. (The one who got fragged in 1628.)
  • Options

OllyT said:

eek said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

So you wasted your vote.

At every election I have the choice of 2 parties - either of the ones with a chance of winning the seat. Voting Lib Dem or green round here is a waste of a vote, do you end up voting for the least worst of the main parties.
    Don't you think that it's about time we did something about our electoral system if the best it can do is give us a choice between Corbyn and Johnson?

It has always been a poor system but now that even that is dictated by a few thousand self-selected and often extremist party members then the system is not fit for purpose.

On the Contrary more equality, fairness, houses galore free Broadband, the NHS saved, a safer world or Boris.
    Yes, Boris then, if we must.

Or we can vote Boris then dump him without getting any of the insanity you wanted.
  • Options
    Let me get this straight. We live in a world where the AG says the PM should resign, whilst in post….
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Hancock on Peston. 🍿
  • Options
    Hancock on the telly! “Hello everyone. You might remember me. What matter most? That Im handsome, smart and saved all your lives”.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    dixiedean said:

Just when I thought today couldn't get any more surreal and fucking ace and totally improbable.
    Shortly after 11pm the first open candidate for leader is.
    Suella Braverman!
    We need a Buddhist PM. Even one with no lineage.
    Go on. It'll be a laugh.

Jeez. These people are some kind of drug that is unavailable to the rest of us.

Some kind of evil triple skunk laced with LSD.
  • Options

There seems to be a new thing of openly calling on the PM to go but not actually resigning. So what are you then? A freelance Minister? How do you serve as part of the PMs cabinet?

It's the BoZo playbook.

"Sack me, if you want. Otherwise STFU, I'm staying..."
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,272
    So I checked the constitution of the Conservative Party, and it states that:

"89 For the avoidance of doubt but without prejudice to any of the provisions of this Part, matters of Parliamentary discipline (not touching or concerning the ethics and integrity of a Member of Parliament or Peer) shall at all times remain the responsibility of the Chief Whip in the House of Commons or House of Lords, as the case may be."

The constitution also states that:

"“Member of Parliament” means a Member of the House of Commons in receipt of the
    Conservative Whip;"
    - This implies that a sitting MP who is not in receipt of the Conservative Whip cannot apply to be selected as the candidate of their conservative association.

So, who appoints the Chief Whip? The Parliament website makes reference to whips being appointed by their parties, but the government chief whip is also appointed as Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury, which would imply this is an office appointed by the PM.

The Conservative Constitution doesn't appear to specify that the Chief Whip is appointed by the party leader. It's not clear to me who would be in charge of appointing the Chief Whip in the case that a new leader of the Conservative Party is elected, but the former leader and incumbent PM refuses to resign. I think Johnson might be in a position to remove the whip from the newly-elected leader of the Conservative Party, and thereby force their deselection as an official Conservative Party candidate for a subsequent general election.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

OllyT said:

eek said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

So you wasted your vote.

Zelenskyy nuked by Polaris as a Ukrainian Nazi Jew?
  • Options

Portland is f##ked.

https://twitter.com/Wtfportland1/status/1544670364701052930?s=20&t=RrsBM_xXfJozUZ-rqIvR9A
    In the 1990s it was one of the best cities in the United States to live in.
  • Options
    Oh well enjoyable day on PB draws to a close.

With all the guilt ridden PB Tories frantically trying to find someone else to blame.

I suggest you look in your mirrors.

Goodnight.

We all make mistakes as the dales said climbing off the dustbin
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris has lost Hancock. It’s finally over.
  • Options

biggles said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

Cwho effectively arranged for phatboi to be elected unopposed.
    It's your fault

Stop wriggling

A corner of honour.

Are you sure he hasn't?

Pleased to see you taking responsibility for the complete mess.

The corner is over there on the extreme right
    Preposterous.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Hancock on Peston says Boris has lost the confidence of the Cabinet and Party while setting out his vision for the party
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

In tomorrow's Times I report that junior Conservative MPs are forming plans to back a "new generation" leadership candidate.

Sources named three candidates they might back: Kemi Badenoch, Simon Clarke, Suella Braverman

Simon Clarke or Suella Braverman.

As serious candidates.

Seriously?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Now Justice PPS calls for PM to go too. That's at least 3 ministers/PPS who have publicly called on Boris Johnson to resign but are still in their jobs. More sackings to come tomorrow? https://twitter.com/JasonMcCartney/status/1544804610484932612

Have a hunch, that sacking and replacing top crown law officers may be more problematic than for run-of-the-mill politicos?
  • Options

Lol

America is SO doomed. One shouldn’t laugh but I’d weep otherwise

Also, isn’t he… Chinese? A big tubby American Chinese guy? The same Chinese that are slaughtering the Uyghurs and dominating Asia? And he calls her the “fucking coloniser”

The Left has carefully constructed this madness
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hancock on Peston says Boris has lost the confidence of the Cabinet and Party

That’s not important though is it. What’s more interesting is whether he has lost your confidence?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Simon Clarke or Suella Braverman.

As serious candidates.

Seriously?
    Just waiting for Duguid to hear his country calling him and them I'm gonna drive to the Bullers of Buchan and cast myself into the foam
  • Options
    I'm afraid to go to bed in case JRM proposes to Claudia Webbe or summat.
  • Options

Portland is f##ked.

Strange, couple of friends of mine were down there weekend before last, and had a whale of a time. Hanging out with non-PTSDed PDXers.
  • Options

Yes this makes no sense. We have Schrodinger’s Cabinet.
  • Options

"Consultancy" is all the rage. The working class are called agency workers.
  • Options

OllyT said:

eek said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

So you wasted your vote.

Yes, Boris then, if we must.

Or we can vote Boris then dump him without getting any of the insanity you wanted.
    Which insanity?
  • Options
    One of today’s many quitters gets in touch

Buckle up!
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1544807796276879365/photo/1
  • Options

IF Clown wants, he can sack them pronto, at least in theory. That that ain't happened yet, maybe that says something?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Hancock on Peston says Boris has lost the confidence of the Cabinet and Party

That’s not important though is it. What’s more interesting is whether he has lost your confidence?
    Until he loses a VONC no, even though that is likely inevitable now
This discussion has been closed.