Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

PG/Britain Trump refuses to face reality – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

God I’m depressed tonight. I never thought I’d live in a country with a Mad King leader who would burn it all down before leaving office.

I don't see what there is to be depressed about, it's what we post here for. It's been exciting, entertaining, and hilarious.
    Well, its the political equivalent of rubbernecking - it fascinates, but can still horrify.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I hope @Big_G_NorthWales is okay.

I genuinely feel really sorry for decent, hard-working, party members and followers who must be gutted by what is going on.

Fuck him, he voted for this prick
    He didn't. If I recall correctly, he lost his nerve, contemplated resigning, then after the leadership votes were over he seemed to tacitly support BJ indirectly by defending BJ's policies when people criticised them.

Recently he has claimed that he want Boris gone
    General election, 2019.
    Every single one of you who voted Conservative is complicit in this and should apologise.
    Labour gave us the choice of Boris or Corbyn after Corbyn had already been rejected once. Should Labour apologise for sending Corbyn out to bat again?
    The attempts to blame Labour for this are plain weird. If you didn’t like Boris and Corbyn there were other choices such as spoiling the ballot.

If you voted Conservative you own part of this.
    Nah. We didn't dare vote Monster Raving Loony or, more obscurely, LibDem and thereby let Corbyn into No. 10.
    Tonight that attitude has proven to be foolish.
    Not at all. I couldn't countenance Corbyn being PM of the UK. As @biggles said, knowing all that has happened (and not knowing how everyone else might vote, @Farooq ) I would vote the same way again.
    Boris cited his mandate tonight as the reason to stay. That means you.
    Yeah but everyone knows that argument is bollocks in our system.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

"@NadineDorries

The PM’s priority is to stabilise the government, set a clear direction for the country and continue to deliver on the promises he made and the British public voted for.

9:28 PM · Jul 6, 2022"

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1544780226307264512

She was in tears in 2016 when he pulled out of the leadership race.

Presumably Nadine and Boris have been in a sexual relationship for at least as long as that.
    Careful now.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I genuinely feel really sorry for decent, hard-working, party members and followers who must be gutted by what is going on.

He didn't. If I recall correctly, he lost his nerve, contemplated resigning, then after the leadership votes were over he seemed to tacitly support BJ indirectly by defending BJ's policies when people criticised them.

General election, 2019.
    Every single one of you who voted Conservative is complicit in this and should apologise.
    Labour gave us the choice of Boris or Corbyn after Corbyn had already been rejected once. Should Labour apologise for sending Corbyn out to bat again?
    The attempts to blame Labour for this are plain weird. If you didn’t like Boris and Corbyn there were other choices such as spoiling the ballot.

Nah. We didn't dare vote Monster Raving Loony or, more obscurely, LibDem and thereby let Corbyn into No. 10.
    Not at all. I couldn't countenance Corbyn being PM of the UK. As @biggles said, knowing all that has happened (and not knowing how everyone else might vote, @Farooq ) I would vote the same way again.
    He may cite it, its still nonsense. Should we give credence to his skewed opinions?
    No, not at all, but the time for that was before you made him prime minister.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814
    I think I might decline the outrage bus this evening. It may be futile, but Boris is within his rights to decline resignation and make the party go through a formal process, to feel the depth of the wounds for himself. It may not be the usual way when offered the door out, but in itself it is not a liberty.

A GE attempt or an attempt to weasel after a VONC result, those would be cause for outrage.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

When he loses the VoNC, he still won't resign

At that point even I would say he would have to go but we are not there yet
    Do you think he should hang on?
    Until the 1922 change the rules and he loses a VONC happens yes.

If both those events occur then at the point he should go
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

The party elects a new leader, they now hold the confidence of the house. Removal vans at No. 10 on the double. Simply he will be forcibly removed from office if he doesn't go willingly.
    Yes, he's being very frustrating, but he doesn't have a leg to stand on even if he tried to resist at that point. He can refuse to give up the premiership, but it isn't intervening in politics for the palace to pick up the phone to a newly elected leader and ask them to come by.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited July 2022
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Yes and he is of course wrong.
    Can’t be much fun being part of Boris’ figleaf.
    Interesting to note that you, as well as @HYUFD, are choosing to believe what Boris says.

Edit: oh and JRM.

Quite a team you all make.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

I really didn’t think he would go full on Trump but he has. This is damaging stuff.

There are certain people who reach positions of power in democracies, who demonstrate through their behaviour that given the chance they would take the country into dictatorship. He’s the first British PM I’ve seen this trait in. Trump had it. Clearly Orban, Erdogan and other managed democrats do. Indira Gandhi. De Gaulle got close. But most others ultimately go when asked.

Sorry, but it's been obvious since autumn 2019 at the very latest. Anyone who didn't realise it by that point was not paying attention at all.

You all should not have voted for him. Corbyn and Brexit are not a good enough excuse.
    I agree BUT, I voted LD knowing full well that Boris would win. It was zero cost.

In a forced choice, I would have had to vote Tory. Seamus Milne was/is deeply, deeply sinister. Others, too.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

I really didn’t think he would go full on Trump but he has. This is damaging stuff.

There are certain people who reach positions of power in democracies, who demonstrate through their behaviour that given the chance they would take the country into dictatorship. He’s the first British PM I’ve seen this trait in. Trump had it. Clearly Orban, Erdogan and other managed democrats do. Indira Gandhi. De Gaulle got close. But most others ultimately go when asked.

Sorry, but it's been obvious since autumn 2019 at the very latest. Anyone who didn't realise it by that point was not paying attention at all.

You all should not have voted for him. Corbyn and Brexit are not a good enough excuse.
    You don’t get the point of wanting Brexit. Anything and everything domestic (including all this Boris crap) is reversible. The EU’s actions were not.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,251
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

The party elects a new leader, they now hold the confidence of the house. Removal vans at No. 10 on the double. Simply he will be forcibly removed from office if he doesn't go willingly.
    Has the Queen actually sacked a PM and had to literally remove the seals of office or whatever and send security to Downing Street to cart one away?

Always a first time even when you are 96.

I suggest they take him via the nearest hospital because he is now very mentally unwell.
  • Options
    I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall in Downing Street this evening. Most Cabinet members trying to calm Johnson's full-scale toddler tantrum, while Dorries and JRM fed him Sunny Delight and Red Bull, insisting he was a good little boy. Absolutely hilarious.

On Labour VoNCing him... why the hell would they? It doesn't automatically lead to a General Election, and tends to unite Conservatives. They are absolutely right to remain on the sidelines, chuck in a bit of petrol, and hope it burns all the way into next week. Every hour this continues makes ALL Conservative MPs seem more incompetent and unable to govern.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I don't believe in a Monarch who is totally passive as on very particular occasions they might need to make decisions but I'm very queasy about the idea of sacking a prime minister.

What if all the permanent secretaries were to advise HM that the government can no longer function?

She won't "sack" her PM. HMQ is the most non-political Monarch we've ever head. In 70 years she's never got involved... that's not going to change at the age of 96.
    She got involved in the Indyref in 2014.
    She didn't, she told a few well wishers to 'think carefully' not even 'to vote No'
    'Peter Hunt the BBC's Royal Correspondent at the time recalls how keen the Palace was to get the Queen's, "Off the Cuff", indy referendum remark onto the BBC. They phoned him to make sure it was aired.'

https://twitter.com/Innealadair/status/1174738207503781888?s=20&t=C8K-UFY9H9Wp9uNiRmovVA
    So what, she still didn't give an endorsement either way in the referendum
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    if the cabinet were so prepared to resign, where are the resignations?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Do stop being a complete and utter twerp. If he "cited his mandate" as a licence for him to, I dunno, sodomise a goat, would That Mean Me? The single vote most responsible for where we are today, out of a number of candidates, is the vote which put Corbyn in place. That means you, if you are generous enough to spring for a party membership.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Interesting to note that you, as well as @HYUFD, are choosing to believe what Boris says.
    At least I never voted for the bugger. He was demonstrably unsuited to be pm.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Scott_xP said:

Biggest bunch of whoppers going
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    Scott_xP said:

Wikipedia believes Brandon Lewis has either resigned or been otherwise dispatched.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    We can take one comfort from current events: those taking Boris's shilling have no future role in Conservative government.

Those saying the next leader and PM has to come from outside Cabinet are right - certainly in the Cabinet as it is constituted tonight.

A majority of 70-odd allows the new PM to clean out the Augean stables.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,789
    biggles said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

You don’t get the point of wanting Brexit. Anything and everything domestic (including all this Boris crap) is reversible. The EU’s actions were not.
    I wish the inflation damage done to my sacings by his economic policy was reversible!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

He may cite it, its still nonsense. Should we give credence to his skewed opinions?
    The time for that was before you made Jezza LOTO
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    edited July 2022

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Has the Queen actually sacked a PM and had to literally remove the seals of office or whatever and send security to Downing Street to cart one away?

Always a first time even when you are 96.

I suggest they take him via the nearest hospital because he is now very mentally unwell.
    He isn't.
    He's a sociopath.
    The difference now is he's under threat.
    It's textbook behaviour.
    Just as Trump has Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris ally on Gove sacking just now: "He has just always been treacherous, disloyal, self-obsessed, untrustworthy - pick whichever you like."
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1544779364092485634

...but he's still the PM

"Boris ally" narrows it down to a handful.....
    Nadine is Boris’s Rudi Giuliani.
    More like his Ivanka
  • Options

If you need to be reassured that British politics is still saner than some of the alternatives, check out this Congressional campaign ad:

https://twitter.com/Jerone4Congress/status/1544700948164972546

Democrats like to say no one needs an AR-15 for self defence. That no one could possibly need all 30 rounds.

But when this rifle is the only thing standing between your family and a dozen angry democrats in Klan hoods, you just might need that semi automatic. And all 30 rounds.

First thought is that I wouldn't vote for that lunatic, but I might watch that movie.

Second though it is holy shit, politicians are outright talking about being attacked by and needing to gun down their political opponents!

A recipe for harmonious discourse indeed.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    kyf_100 said:

Gove is —— WAS —— about the only effective minister left. Effectively operating what could be said to be the governments domestic policy.

Gove was also doing reasonably well at sorting out the cladding crisis. Going after the companies who constructed the sub-standard buildings, rather than the poor leaseholders who bought them. The stuff he was coming up to solve the crisis wasn't perfect, but way, way, way better than the loathesome Jenrick who came before him.

Gove's attitude towards the whole cladding / leasehold debacle warmed me to him substantially. One of the few front line politicians of the Johnson era I actually respect.
    He was the same at Justice (reversing the idiotic decision about banning books in prisons) and at Environment. Well respected by all sides and made a real effort to understand the issues before making decisions. I think Nick Palmer of this parish had a lot of time for him at Environment.

I know he fell down at Education but I kind of see that one as a no win anyway for Ministers.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

I did what now?
  • Options
    Now we are getting down to it...

Rt Hon Andrew Murrison MP
    @AWMurrison
    ·
    26m
    The situation is now getting out of hand.
    Absolute duty of remaining ministers in Mr Johnson’s rump government to quit.
    Nobody making the positive choice to remain should feature in the upcoming leadership contest.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    LOL

Not saying it's been an eventful day but @BBCRosAtkins explainer video is longer than Zack Snyder's Justice League director's cut

https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/status/1544792075107008514
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

OF COURSE HE WAS DEMONSTRABLY UNSUITED TO BE PM.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Go back to my earliest posts on the subject and you will find me violently agreeing with you.

But he wasn't Corbyn so I voted for him.
  • Options

James Forsyth
    @JGForsyth
    ·
    15m
    But despite Johnson’s determination to fight, he is still going to go down. Tory MPs are looking on in horror tonight. They will elect an executive that is prepared to change the rules and those rules will then be changed ASAP
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Do stop being a complete and utter twerp. If he "cited his mandate" as a licence for him to, I dunno, sodomise a goat, would That Mean Me? The single vote most responsible for where we are today, out of a number of candidates, is the vote which put Corbyn in place. That means you, if you are generous enough to spring for a party membership.
    So in your world someone consistently voting against Boris is responsible, but voting for him you have none. Interesting argument. If only we had been better at stopping you. Give me a break.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But that's not why you didn't vote for him, is it? Have you ever voted Conservative because the party leader looked to you demonstrably suited to be pm?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I don't believe in a Monarch who is totally passive as on very particular occasions they might need to make decisions but I'm very queasy about the idea of sacking a prime minister.

What if all the permanent secretaries were to advise HM that the government can no longer function?

She won't "sack" her PM. HMQ is the most non-political Monarch we've ever head. In 70 years she's never got involved... that's not going to change at the age of 96.
    She didn't, she told a few well wishers to 'think carefully' not even 'to vote No'
    'Peter Hunt the BBC's Royal Correspondent at the time recalls how keen the Palace was to get the Queen's, "Off the Cuff", indy referendum remark onto the BBC. They phoned him to make sure it was aired.'

https://twitter.com/Innealadair/status/1174738207503781888?s=20&t=C8K-UFY9H9Wp9uNiRmovVA
    As if you weren't rock hard the moment Brenda made her totally deliberate off the cuff move.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

TimS said:

I agree BUT, I voted LD knowing full well that Boris would win. It was zero cost.

In a forced choice, I would have had to vote Tory. Seamus Milne was/is deeply, deeply sinister. Others, too.

Milne is indeed, no argument from me.
    But Cummings is just as bad in my book.

Forced choice, Tory v Labour, 2019? I'd have torn my ballot to pieces. Luckily not one person in the whole country was forced to choose between just those two.
  • Options

@AWMurrison
    ·
    26m
    Nobody making the positive choice to remain should feature in the upcoming leadership contest.

This makes my point about escalation of the dissent - a longstanding loyalist and Boris supporter eventually quits, despite backing him only weeks ago (we can assume, since he didn't quit his trade envoy post then), and in the space of a day is not only against Boris but anyone remaining in the Cabinet.

That is the damage Boris is doing by being stubborn.
  • Options
    This is being shared in Labour whatsapp groups tonight. https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1544793157338030080/photo/1

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Go back to my earliest posts on the subject and you will find me violently agreeing with you.

Foolish.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Stanley Johnson on GB News.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    Jonathan said:

I still wonder who bought Pinchers drinks and set this off.

Do you know he's The Critic's wine and spirits correspondent.

https://thecritic.co.uk/author/christopher-pincher/
  • Options

I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall in Downing Street this evening. Most Cabinet members trying to calm Johnson's full-scale toddler tantrum, while Dorries and JRM fed him Sunny Delight and Red Bull, insisting he was a good little boy. Absolutely hilarious.

On Labour VoNCing him... why the hell would they? It doesn't automatically lead to a General Election, and tends to unite Conservatives. They are absolutely right to remain on the sidelines, chuck in a bit of petrol, and hope it burns all the way into next week. Every hour this continues makes ALL Conservative MPs seem more incompetent and unable to govern.

Yes if I was Starmer I’d start flooding Parliament with popular motions I could present as being more focused on helping the public while the Gvt is distracted.
  • Options

James Forsyth
    @JGForsyth
    ·
    15m
    But despite Johnson’s determination to fight, he is still going to go down. Tory MPs are looking on in horror tonight. They will elect an executive that is prepared to change the rules and those rules will then be changed ASAP

Well. On Monday anyways.
    Unless summat better comes up.
  • Options
  • Options

We can take one comfort from current events: those taking Boris's shilling have no future role in Conservative government.

Those saying the next leader and PM has to come from outside Cabinet are right - certainly in the Cabinet as it is constituted tonight.

Up to Tory members to decide if one of Johnson's Cabinet gets to the final 2
  • Options

Yet Penny M is still 2nd fav.

Incredible.

No one left in this Downfall Cabinet should ever be allowed near government again.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

So in your world someone consistently voting against Boris is responsible, but voting for him you have none. Interesting argument. If only we had been better at stopping you. Give me a break.
    You are a thick, useless leftie. If you had offered a non-joke candidate in 2019 I would have voted for them. So, yes, if only you had been better at stopping Boris. I don't see why you think there is anything witty or paradoxical about that.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    Just wanted to note a post by @Richard_Tyndall at the end of the last thread which I'm guessing most people will have missed. Well said. There is a great deal of difference between bullying and responding to another's post. If people post here they should expect responses as long as it relates to the contents of the post
  • Options
    edited July 2022

LOL

Not saying it's been an eventful day but @BBCRosAtkins explainer video is longer than Zack Snyder's Justice League director's cut

https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/status/1544792075107008514

I do like Ros Atkins pieces. Well put together, and he delivers them well.

He does put me in mind of the short dude from Line of Duty for some reason though.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.
    Which bit? Keeping Corbyn out? I beg to differ.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

@AWMurrison
    ·
    26m

When you start using phrases like "rump government" you're getting into interesting territory.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

Demonstrably, EU membership was and is reversible.
  • Options
    In practical terms, anybody still in the Cabinet by midnight has no continuing role in the Government of the new PM.

Simple as that guys.

96 minutes and counting.....
  • Options
    Suggest the Queen turns her phone off until Tuesday.

• Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

Milne is indeed, no argument from me.
    But Cummings is just as bad in my book.

Forced choice, Tory v Labour, 2019? I'd have torn my ballot to pieces. Luckily not one person in the whole country was forced to choose between just those two.
    It's classic game theory. I blabbed. Too dangerous to trust my fellow man. The stakes were too high imo.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Incredible.

No one left in this Downfall Cabinet should ever be allowed near government again.

Forget cabinet. Any Tory MP who has not published a public letter by 9am tomorrow doesn’t deserve a role in our democracy any more
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.
    Corbyn would let Ukraine twist in the wind.

Voting for anybody supporting THAT would have been foolish.
  • Options
    Thursday’s Guardian: Desperate, deluded PM clings to power #tomorrowspaperstoday https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1544794165548023808/photo/1
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Interesting thread in support of Michael Gove:

https://twitter.com/KwajoHousing/status/1544785815389306881
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is being shared in Labour whatsapp groups tonight. https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1544793157338030080/photo/1

Johnson is 59 anarl!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629

@AWMurrison
    ·
    26m

“Extricate yourself from Boris’s rump” has a certain ring to it as a slogan.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

As if you weren't rock hard the moment Brenda made her totally deliberate off the cuff move.
    I am just thinking about it now. Phwoar.
  • Options

In practical terms, anybody still in the Cabinet by midnight has no continuing role in the Government of the new PM.

Simple as that guys.

96 minutes and counting.....

The most loyal Boris supporting back-bencher I know has just told me “he has to be gone by midnight”.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1544793914267373568

And yet, at midnight, BoZo will still be PM
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951
    algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Nothing changes the hard fact that in 2019 there were two possible governments. That led by Jezza and that led by Boris. The tragedy of subsequent events does not alter at all the rational conviction that of that choice on that day Jezza was the more sub-optimal.

The rational decision was to do what I did and spoil your ballot. If you could not bring yourself to vote for one of the smaller parties either that is.

When you have two unacceptable choices, picking either one is not the logical action. refusing to pick either is the only sensible choice.

Of course this is based on the premise that both Johnson and Corbyn were as bad as each other. I know a lot of people didn't think that at the time which is why I will not berate them in the way Farooq does. But for me it seemed inevitable that where we are now was where we end up with Johnson in charge (generally rather than specifically) so the only sensible choice was to abstain.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    4m
    The most loyal Boris supporting back-bencher I know has just told me “he has to be gone by midnight”.

===

How?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

@AWMurrison
    ·
    26m

“Extricate yourself from Boris’s rump” has a certain ring to it as a slogan.
    Have heard enough from his innermost circle.
  • Options

Interesting thread in support of Michael Gove:

https://twitter.com/KwajoHousing/status/1544785815389306881

Gove is interesting and atypical. It buys him quite a bit of leeway from those who might otherwise simply disdain him.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,789
    https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1544794871168438272

"lying wazzock" agony aunt special ...
  • Options
    Just waiting for Suella Braverman to come out and announce that, in her legal opinion, resigning from the cabinet is illegal.
    https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1544794921688776705
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,640
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

A bizarre response to a lifelong Lib Dem who would sooner have downed a pint of vomit than vote for Boris Johnson.

We all knew he was a wrongun. But I thought he’d go when the writing was on the wall, as he did in 2016.

• Options
    Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

It was designed not to be - ask the draftsman of Article 50.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

You are a thick, useless leftie. If you had offered a non-joke candidate in 2019 I would have voted for them. So, yes, if only you had been better at stopping Boris. I don't see why you think there is anything witty or paradoxical about that.
    It's a bit rough blaming @jonathan for not being better at stopping Boris when the entire Parliamentary Conservative party seems unable to do so.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,314
    HYUFD said:

Up to Tory members to decide if one of Johnson's Cabinet gets to the final 2
    Utter nonsense

It is conservative mps who will decide the final 2 not members

You need a rest if you cannot get this basic fact right
  • Options
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Nothing changes the hard fact that in 2019 there were two possible governments. That led by Jezza and that led by Boris. The tragedy of subsequent events does not alter at all the rational conviction that of that choice on that day Jezza was the more sub-optimal.

The rational decision was to do what I did and spoil your ballot. If you could not bring yourself to vote for one of the smaller parties either that is.

When you have two unacceptable choices, picking either one is not the logical action. refusing to pick either is the only sensible choice.

Of course this is based on the premise that both Johnson and Corbyn were as bad as each other. I know a lot of people didn't think that at the time which is why I will not berate them in the way Farooq does. But for me it seemed inevitable that where we are now was where we end up with Johnson in charge (generally rather than specifically) so the only sensible choice was to abstain.
    Abstaining doesn't mean a decision won't be made. It means you can have no complaints whatsoever about the result.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    4m

===

How?

Now, I'm not saying he's making it up, but if you are a rock solid loyal Boris supporting backbencher, you text a message about Boris needing to go to Dan Hodges why?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Can we now hear no more bollocks from PB Tories about Gordon Brown clinging to power and hunkering down in No 10 refusing to go back in May 2010.

Thanks.

Or, ya know, decry both for the unhinged loons they were and are?
  • Options
    Sums it up...

• Options
    I understood why Cabinet ministers weren't going last night. Appeal for unity, conversations behind the scenes, giving the PM a dignified way out etc.

But (other than genuine, hardcore supporters like Dorries and JRM who'd not get a job from anyone else) it seems crackers now. They have failed to talk him into a dignified exit, and he's chosen to leave the undignified way, probably all the way up to smearing a dirty protest all over Carrie's vulgar wallpaper for his successor to sponge off.

If they don't go now, they look both impotent and complicit. And they have Sajid Javid's "not doing something is an active decision" to haunt the remainder of their careers.

If they think they can sit it out quietly and escape with their careers, they are absolutely kidding themselves.
  • Options
    They are DEEEP into the wine suitcase in No 10 tonight

James Duddridge argues to @julie_etch on News at Ten that in another two weeks Boris Johnson will have rebuilt his support among the party because MPs will see the changes he’s made. Problem is he’s promised those changes before.
    https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1544795399382335488
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

If you don’t like Corbyn don’t vote for him, but that never meant you had to vote forBoris.
  • Options

Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

And yet, here we are
  • Options
    Is there a Commons vote on anything due?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

James Duddridge argues to @julie_etch on News at Ten that in another two weeks Boris Johnson will have rebuilt his support among the party because MPs will see the changes he’s made. Problem is he’s promised those changes before.

How he's kept selling them the same dream for so long I do not know. But, belatedly, his latest attempts are merely waking them up.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

If you don’t like Corbyn don’t vote for him, but that never meant you had to vote forBoris.
    You do know how general elections, and in particular general elections in the UK work, don't you?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

You need to cut down on the stupid pills.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

You do know how general elections, and in particular general elections in the UK work, don't you?
    Indeed, do you? If you vote for the buggers it only encourages them.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

Designed to make it difficult if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955
    So, here's a theory of 2 + 2 making 5. But bear with me.

Why doesn't Boris want to quit? When it's obvious that he should.

1. We all know that Carrie wields significant power. Cf the wallpaper, the Cummings debacle, the Abba parties at number 10, etc.

2. We can surmise that Carrie is attracted to power. The BJ incident, etc.

3. The twitter rumours about Carrie and Boris's relationship being on the rocks. Carrie thinking of leaving him for a much richer man, etc. Even if it's not true, the fact is it must be in Boris's head. What happens when he's no longer PM? Does the aphrodisiac wear off?

4. Assume that Boris is competing for the affections of his wife with a man (or men) much richer than he is. What Boris has is power. He can't compete, financially, but he is the PM.

5. So what if he's not the PM? He loses everything. Not just his job, but his wife, family, his - dare I go a bit SeanT - his sexual obsession.

Therefore. He clings on to power by his final fingertip, because it is all he has going for him. For the thing he really wants, which is his wife's affection.

As I say, it is a 2 + 2 = 5 analysis, but it fits with what we know, and explains the bizarre behaviour. Anyone else would see the writing on the wall and go. So why is Boris so keen to cling on to power? To understand a person, understand their objectives, their passions, their obsessions. If Carrie is Boris's obsession, then clinging on to power is his only choice.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_xP said:

Starmer got them spot on.

What wouldn't we give to have Laura K back. Chris Mason is just not up to it. No insight at all
  • Options
    James Forsyth
    @JGForsyth
    ·
    9m
    Tories now heading to a rule change and a no confidence ballot. But some think that could be cathartic for the party, that a heavy defeat for Johnson could make it easier to bring the party back together
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    Daily Mirror - "Just get exit done"
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_xP said:

Anyone falling for "I can change" is going to end up as disappointed as every one of his partners and wives.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited July 2022

Can we now hear no more bollocks from PB Tories about Gordon Brown clinging to power and hunkering down in No 10 refusing to go back in May 2010.

Thanks.

I thought that was shameful then and I think this is even more shameful now. Two wrongs, yadda yadda.

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

I am probably in a minority of one.
    But I voted for labour in 2019, and actually regret not voting for Boris.
    Looking back, the danger was always infinetly greater with Corbyn than Boris. That is still true today.
    Can you imagine dealing with the situation in Ukraine with Corbyn as PM?
    There are far bigger issues than this 'trump lite' act of not leaving office when the game is probably up.
    The problems with lying etc are not good, but there is a much bigger picture.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

But he wasn't Corbyn.

Foolish.

Yes, some party gets 60% of the seats with 40% of the vote or something. You shouldn't encourage them.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719

Incredible.

Mordaunt isn't in the cabinet is she?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

So, here's a theory of 2 + 2 making 5. But bear with me.

Why doesn't Boris want to quit? When it's obvious that he should.

1. We all know that Carrie wields significant power. Cf the wallpaper, the Cummings debacle, the Abba parties at number 10, etc.

2. We can surmise that Carrie is attracted to power. The BJ incident, etc.

3. The twitter rumours about Carrie and Boris's relationship being on the rocks. Carrie thinking of leaving him for a much richer man, etc. Even if it's not true, the fact is it must be in Boris's head. What happens when he's no longer PM? Does the aphrodisiac wear off?

4. Assume that Boris is competing for the affections of his wife with a man (or men) much richer than he is. What Boris has is power. He can't compete, financially, but he is the PM.

5. So what if he's not the PM? He loses everything. Not just his job, but his wife, family, his - dare I go a bit SeanT - his sexual obsession.

Therefore. He clings on to power by his final fingertip, because it is all he has going for him. For the thing he really wants, which is his wife's affection.

As I say, it is a 2 + 2 = 5 analysis, but it fits with what we know, and explains the bizarre behaviour. Anyone else would see the writing on the wall and go. So why is Boris so keen to cling on to power? To understand a person, understand their objectives, their passions, their obsessions. If Carrie is Boris's obsession, then clinging on to power is his only choice.

Or. He's a sociopath.
  • Options
    kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

It's a bit rough blaming @jonathan for not being better at stopping Boris when the entire Parliamentary Conservative party seems unable to do so.
    Quite so, except that he started the blame game.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710
    dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

If Starmer vonc , decent Tories should now vote for it. An impossible, painful position, but the right thing to do.

Parliament doesn't sit on Fridays. If he VONCed tomorrow, it would not be voted upon until Monday.
    A lot of damage can be done between now and then.
    VONC takes precedence over all other business.
    So we could have one tomorrow.
    I thought it was tabled on a day and debated the day after?
    Is that not the norm?
    Could you call for one first thing to happen that day?
This discussion has been closed.