Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

PG/Britain Trump refuses to face reality – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    Dead Cat possibility: 9am tomorrow Durham Police announce SKS has been given a FPN?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,778
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I don't believe in a Monarch who is totally passive as on very particular occasions they might need to make decisions but I'm very queasy about the idea of sacking a prime minister.

What if all the permanent secretaries were to advise HM that the government can no longer function?

She won't "sack" her PM. HMQ is the most non-political Monarch we've ever head. In 70 years she's never got involved... that's not going to change at the age of 96.
    She got involved in the Indyref in 2014.
    She didn't, she told a few well wishers to 'think carefully' not even 'to vote No'
    And interpreted, rioghtly, in all the papers as massive involvement.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Well it shows Boris Johnson's commitment to levelling up.

I fear it may have been missed that after Gove has been sacked, there is now not a single Minister left in the Department for Levelling Up - the flagship policy of the government

https://twitter.com/richardmorrisuk/status/1544780501390692357

It was all propaganda anyway... did anyone ever believe it?
    The Red Wall
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Fascinating debate on the rolling BBC news just now about "what levers Nadhim Zahawi can pull" to address the CoL crisis.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Well it shows Boris Johnson's commitment to levelling up.

I fear it may have been missed that after Gove has been sacked, there is now not a single Minister left in the Department for Levelling Up - the flagship policy of the government

https://twitter.com/richardmorrisuk/status/1544780501390692357

It was all propaganda anyway... did anyone ever believe it?
    The Red Wall
    Yes, I suppose they did :D
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

GOVE FIRED

So Johnson has his softer side. I'm warming to him on that news.

Is Gove marching out of Downing Street yet?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282

IshmaelZ said:

https://twitter.com/BrewDog/status/1544643085132615681

Brew Dog asking which of the following people want put into limited production:
    Bojo Bogo
    Resignation Nation
    Bye Bye Big Dog
    Boris Lie-PA

Workplace Bullying and Sexism

You need to be, not whiter than white, but also not complete and utter shits yourselves, for this sort of thing to work
    Sadly the Brew Dog ethos has become seriously shit. But I like their beer and they are funny. So meh. I could boycott them, but they wouldn't notice and I would.
    There's so much better beer out there though...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    kinabalu said:

Fascinating debate on the rolling BBC news just now about "what levers Nadhim Zahawi can pull" to address the CoL crisis.

The one-armed bandit?
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    T-shirts for sale: 'Conservatives Do It Bloodier' , £15 quid...

I got a text from a good friend who once described himself as a typical dictatorial liberal, ie in his eyes he is a bit to the left but insistent that everyone else must think the same. His message about Boris was 'brass balls' and he has a point even if the brass is actually firmly on Johnson's neck.

Whilst the Hitler bunker comparisons are blindingly obvious I found one closer to home, that just seems to fit the mentality. I grew up with a bloke who killed a well known name in the local community. He promptly holed up in a house in the area and pretty much said' come ahead and try to kill me then'. Did not give two fucks.

There, minus the handgun and killing, is Boris right now. I have come to the conclusion that he is of that 'fuck you all mentality'. I am not sure its about the narcissist in him anymore.

The bloke, by the way, is still very much alive.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited July 2022
    boulay said:

Looks like the only person who could persuade Boris to quit is Zelenskiy.

I'd advise Zelensky not to try - Johnson would attempt to sack him.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I don't believe in a Monarch who is totally passive as on very particular occasions they might need to make decisions but I'm very queasy about the idea of sacking a prime minister.

What if all the permanent secretaries were to advise HM that the government can no longer function?

She won't "sack" her PM. HMQ is the most non-political Monarch we've ever head. In 70 years she's never got involved... that's not going to change at the age of 96.
    She didn't, she told a few well wishers to 'think carefully' not even 'to vote No'
    Ironically, you never think at all before you vote. You make a virtue out of never changing, ever.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dead Cat possibility: 9am tomorrow Durham Police announce SKS has been given a FPN?

Would anyone care with all this going on?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,452
    dr_spyn said:
    Started off really well. Then became a bit electoral. Which always limits the humour.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    The 1922 committee need to meet tomorrow, change the rules and have the vote on Friday.

This mess cannot continue like this. If not, let's have the GE and we can tell Boris what his new mandate is: off you fuck.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625
    Andy_JS said:

Latest from Downing Street:

"PM in 'buoyant mood' and will announce economic plan with new chancellor next week
    Boris Johnson's parliamentary private secretary James Duddridge has told Sky News the PM is in a "buoyant mood and will fight on".

"He has a 14 million mandate and so much to do for the country…

This is delusional stuff.
    The only mandate he has in his constituency vote at the general election, and the until now support of Tory MPs - each of whom has their own electoral mandate.
    He has lost the latter, utterly, and if he manages to call an election will lose the former as well.

‘Buoyant mood’ has a pathological sound to it,
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

How can a party that dispatched a political colossus like Maggie so brutally be making such a balls up of getting rid of a loser like Boris?

Ultimately, Thatcher had enough respect for her colleagues, her country, and her reputation to take the whiskey and revolver, and step outside.

Johnson is a selfish arsehole - he's downed the scotch and shot Gove.
    LOL!
    One of the best jokes today. Even though it should be spelled 'whisky'.
    True. As good Irish whiskey would refuse to go down his gullet!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,139

Still no Chancellor for the Duchy of Lancaster…been over 24 hours now I think.

How are the people of the Duchy of Lancaster coping without a firm hand on the tiller?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

Jonathan said:

If Starmer vonc , decent Tories should now vote for it. An impossible, painful position, but the right thing to do.

Bet they dont though.

They still fear a GE more than Boris methinks
    VONC doesn't inevitably lead to a GE.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282
    Who had "coalition of chaos" in the Tory word bucket sweepstakes?

From the beeb: "Rather, the source goes on to say, it's about giving Johnson either a "fresh chancellor and new programme, that Rishi was not prepared to do" or "spend months ripping each other apart to elect a leader without a mandate - coalition of chaos and Labour who will break up Britain". "
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

"PM in 'buoyant mood' and will announce economic plan with new chancellor next week
    Boris Johnson's parliamentary private secretary James Duddridge has told Sky News the PM is in a "buoyant mood and will fight on".

The only mandate he has in his constituency vote at the general election, and the until now support of Tory MPs - each of whom has their own electoral mandate.
    He has lost the latter, utterly, and if he manages to call an election will lose the former as well.

Correction - "Buoyant mood" has a pharmaceutical sound to it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,220
    Did Boris and Co only just notice that Michael Gove is a “ tiny two inch long pungent lying snake of a man, with rotting teeth and rheumy eyes, who sneaks down alleys every night to eat the dung of Frenchmen as he masturbates his thirteen evil penises”?

i mean, that’s the kind of thing a guy notices, early on in a friendship

Yet apparently the Boris camp only spotted it today?

• Options

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I hope @Big_G_NorthWales is okay.

I genuinely feel really sorry for decent, hard-working, party members and followers who must be gutted by what is going on.

Fuck him, he voted for this prick
    He didn't. If I recall correctly, he lost his nerve, contemplated resigning, then after the leadership votes were over he seemed to tacitly support BJ indirectly by defending BJ's policies when people criticised them.

Recently he has claimed that he want Boris gone
    General election, 2019.
    Every single one of you who voted Conservative is complicit in this and should apologise.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MrEd said:

Sorry but that is hyperbole.

He's not a lunatic. You may disagree with his actions but they have a logic to it. There also might be a fairly sized chunk of the population who admires him for fighting back. Reading through the Twitter comments (always a bad move), there's a bit more support than you might think.

Re being hated etc etc, the Tories are six percentage points behind Labour, Yes, Davey is winning by-elections. Think he''ll do well when he's asked in a GE "what's a woman" and stumbles like SKS does?

I think he will eventually go but I don't think he should resign - if they want to get rid of him that much, do a VONC and show some balls.

Sean_F said:

I think we've reached the point where Her Majesty has to be advised to dismiss Johnson as Prime Minister.

It's clear that we have a lunatic in No. 10. A man who whose grasp on reality is similar to that of Adolf Hitler in April 1945. The public hate him; his ministers hate him; his backbenchers hate him; the opposition MP's hate him.

He's a shitstain, who needs to be scrubbed down the S Bend.

The logic is that if he can't be PM he'll burn his party down with him and do as much damage to the country as he can.

It's the logic of a child throwing a wild tantrum.
    The Tory MPs fucked it a few weeks ago when they didn't vote him out. There was never going to be any recovery, even then. It was only going to get worse and yet the fucked it. All those payroll idiots resigning now had the chance. Bunch of absolute c***s. They have fucked this country over and now we need swift action from the cabinet to force him out tonight.

Mass resignations. Now.
    It was obvious to the vast majority of us that he had to go. How could it not be obvious to them?
    Organisational culture. The organisation believes that the organisation is good. The organisation does not see itself as others see it.
    You know the really dull surveys yougov do? Would you feel proud to work for company x, etc? That's because organisations can't see themselves as others see them.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Some of the comments over at ConHome are remarkable. There are people over there who think Boris is too soft on the EU, all his critics are secret Remoaners (good riddance to them, apparently!) and they would vote for him tomorrow. And he can set up his own Boris Party and they will join up.

Britain's Trump has arrived and the Right's fringes have gone certifiable!

ConHome commenters are not Tory voters or members.
    They are more likely to be Tory voters than Labour or LibDems. Left-leaning they are not ;)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

How can a party that dispatched a political colossus like Maggie so brutally be making such a balls up of getting rid of a loser like Boris?

Ultimately, Thatcher had enough respect for her colleagues, her country, and her reputation to take the whiskey and revolver, and step outside.

LOL!
    You do know the Irish have to distill it three times because they can't get it right in two?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

How are the people of the Duchy of Lancaster coping without a firm hand on the tiller?
    Boris is going to second Chris Pincher - then there will be any number of firm hands on everything.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The 1922 committee need to meet tomorrow, change the rules and have the vote on Friday.

This mess cannot continue like this. If not, let's have the GE and we can tell Boris what his new mandate is: off you fuck.

Every hour 22 keeps on wasting, stalling, ducking, puts UK and Tory Party in greater jeopardy.

As if they give a blind fiddler's final farewell fuck.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,930
    DougSeal said:

I’m more worried about the Duke of York taking advantage of this power vacuum and restarting the Wars of the Roses to get some status back.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    We're going to see Peter Bone and Fabricant in Cabinet, aren't we?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Johnson is doomed, so he really might as well as appoint anyone to government now for comedy value. Farage, James Delingpole, Tommy Robinson...

That’s what he did before
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    God I’m depressed tonight. I never thought I’d live in a country with a Mad King leader who would burn it all down before leaving office.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954
    A transfer of power to a new leader without a democratic mandate, I would completely oppose that. If we change the leader we need a new mandate from the people, not the MPs https://twitter.com/lucyallan/status/1544783367136333825/photo/1

Total bollocks, but some will try it...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I genuinely feel really sorry for decent, hard-working, party members and followers who must be gutted by what is going on.

He didn't. If I recall correctly, he lost his nerve, contemplated resigning, then after the leadership votes were over he seemed to tacitly support BJ indirectly by defending BJ's policies when people criticised them.

General election, 2019.
    Every single one of you who voted Conservative is complicit in this and should apologise.
    I certainly won't, he still beat Corbyn and got Brexit done and I make no apology for voting for that
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    Scott_xP said:

A transfer of power to a new leader without a democratic mandate, I would completely oppose that. If we change the leader we need a new mandate from the people, not the MPs https://twitter.com/lucyallan/status/1544783367136333825/photo/1

Was she asleep in 2019 and 2016?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited July 2022

Scott_xP said:

Some people are simply really stupid.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    I certainly won't, he still beat Corbyn and got Brexit done and I make no apology for voting for that
    "done". Must tell my chum in Belfast. He will be relieved to hear that.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I still wonder who bought Pinchers drinks and set this off.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,951
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    Labour gave us the choice of Boris or Corbyn after Corbyn had already been rejected once. Should Labour apologise for sending Corbyn out to bat again?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    There’s going to be nothing left of the Conservative party if this goes on as long as the weekend.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Quite brave when her majority is only 11k
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited July 2022

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Actually I did not vote for either Johnson or Hunt even though I had a members vote at the time

However, my objection to Johnson started with Paterson went through wallpapergate and partygate and for weeks now I have been calling for his resignation and stated on many occasions my support for Aaron Bell and the 148

I have no problem with brexit and Johnson did well on covid and Ukraine

He utterly disgusts me tonight and the only consolation is he will be gone next week when the 1922 deal with him, if not before
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    OnboardG1 said:

From the beeb: "Rather, the source goes on to say, it's about giving Johnson either a "fresh chancellor and new programme, that Rishi was not prepared to do" or "spend months ripping each other apart to elect a leader without a mandate - coalition of chaos and Labour who will break up Britain". "

Lab will break up Britain? The NI protocol says hello.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    I make allowances for the monomaniacal, brain damaged, and educationally subnormal.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    He was a means to an end on Brexit, and avoided Corbyn. Would do it again even knowing what I know now. We were faced with an impossible choice.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,220
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:

Some people are simply really stupid.
    Or they hope that others are really stupid, and will buy this bollocks
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Cyclefree said:

Yeah, I like the "no rush, lads" vibe they're giving off. Bizarre.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    Labour gave us the choice of Boris or Corbyn after Corbyn had already been rejected once. Should Labour apologise for sending Corbyn out to bat again?
    The attempts to blame Labour for this are plain weird. If you didn’t like Boris and Corbyn there were other choices such as spoiling the ballot.

If you voted Conservative you own part of this.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954
    When he loses the VoNC, he still won't resign
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

Every hour 22 keeps on wasting, stalling, ducking, puts UK and Tory Party in greater jeopardy.

I don't care two hoots about the Tory party. I do care about the damage being done to the country.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

Goodnight all, I'm off to bed. Want to be well rested for my interview tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to report back soon with news of my employment.

Good luck
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Scott_xP said:

At that point even I would say he would have to go but we are not there yet
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    OnboardG1 said:

Break up Britain? Doesn't sound like it.
    https://t.co/WQwoAjKIjj
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Correction - "Buoyant mood" has a pharmaceutical sound to it.
    Quite so

He may not be a natural caffeine head, but lots of people who aren't still take a lot of it out of greed, self indulgence, opportunism etc if they happen to be in a milieu where it is widely on offer, for free. looks increasingly like a latte boi to me
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

The party elects a new leader, they now hold the confidence of the house. Removal vans at No. 10 on the double. Simply he will be forcibly removed from office if he doesn't go willingly.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    The attempts to blame Labour for this are plain weird. If you didn’t like Boris and Corbyn there were other choices such as spoiling the ballot.

Nah. We didn't dare vote Monster Raving Loony or, more obscurely, LibDem and thereby let Corbyn into No. 10.
  • Options

God I’m depressed tonight. I never thought I’d live in a country with a Mad King leader who would burn it all down before leaving office.

I don't see what there is to be depressed about, it's what we post here for. It's been exciting, entertaining, and hilarious.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Other parties were, in any case, available: 'LD' and 'SNP' and (appropriately enough here) 'PC', not to mention 'MRLP'. So this attempt to blame Mr Corbyn is daft anyway.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

LOL!
    You do know the Irish have to distill it three times because they can't get it right in two?
    Third time the charm! ADDENDUM - And far too refined for the likes of this Johnson.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

Some of the comments over at ConHome are remarkable. There are people over there who think Boris is too soft on the EU, all his critics are secret Remoaners (good riddance to them, apparently!) and they would vote for him tomorrow. And he can set up his own Boris Party and they will join up.

Britain's Trump has arrived and the Right's fringes have gone certifiable!

Johnson is the Benny Hill Trump
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    I make allowances for the monomaniacal, brain damaged, and educationally subnormal.
    It would be a bit hypocritical not to wouldn't it?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    Yes, and every 2019 Labour voter deserves the same opprobrium.
    Voting either Conservative or Labour in 2019 was an idiotic lapse of judgement for anyone who was in possession of their faculties. You spent so long obsessing over Tweedledum you forgot you were voting for Tweedledee.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,236
    So, how's the levelling up hopey thingy going?

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Nah. We didn't dare vote Monster Raving Loony or, more obscurely, LibDem and thereby let Corbyn into No. 10.
    Tonight that attitude has proven to be foolish.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,341
    Tres said:

So so so happy we avoided all that chaos with Ed Miliband

A lot of people keep making this joke. Does r really work though does it, as that Parliament was due to end in 2020. Hard to know, but in that counter factual I suspect Boris would still have been PM by now, and we’d be leaving the EU following its Covid failures.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,709
    Jonathan said:

If Starmer vonc , decent Tories should now vote for it. An impossible, painful position, but the right thing to do.

Parliament doesn't sit on Fridays. If he VONCed tomorrow, it would not be voted upon until Monday.
    A lot of damage can be done between now and then.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.
    It would be a bit hypocritical not to wouldn't it?
    Touche, Vlad
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454

Very glad I did not vote Con or Lab in 19.
    My conscience is clear.

Same.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

And if you put up magic Grandpa when you could have put up a realistic alternative you own the rest of it, and the majority, you silly little man.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Parliament doesn't sit on Fridays. If he VONCed tomorrow, it would not be voted upon until Monday.
    Speaker and House can call a sitting.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil
    @afneil
    I have always resisted comparisons between Boris Johnson and Donald Trump. Not tonight.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

At this point I would not be surprised if the 1922 somehow fail or equivocate on changing the rules in the first place, thus meaning no second VONC in the first place.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,630
    I really didn’t think he would go full on Trump but he has. This is damaging stuff.

There are certain people who reach positions of power in democracies, who demonstrate through their behaviour that given the chance they would take the country into dictatorship. He’s the first British PM I’ve seen this trait in. Trump had it. Clearly Orban, Erdogan and other managed democrats do. Indira Gandhi. De Gaulle got close. But most others ultimately go when asked.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_xP said:

Boris ally on Gove sacking just now: "He has just always been treacherous, disloyal, self-obsessed, untrustworthy - pick whichever you like."
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1544779364092485634

...but he's still the PM

"Boris ally" narrows it down to a handful.....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

Jonathan said:

VONC takes precedence over all other business.
    So we could have one tomorrow.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,112
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

'Peter Hunt the BBC's Royal Correspondent at the time recalls how keen the Palace was to get the Queen's, "Off the Cuff", indy referendum remark onto the BBC. They phoned him to make sure it was aired.'

https://twitter.com/Innealadair/status/1174738207503781888?s=20&t=C8K-UFY9H9Wp9uNiRmovVA
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Not at all. I couldn't countenance Corbyn being PM of the UK. As @biggles said, knowing all that has happened (and not knowing how everyone else might vote, @Farooq ) I would vote the same way again.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,709

I have little sympathy for supposed Tories who enabled Boris to power. The Big Gs and Casino Royales.

It was always going to end like this.

Um, I voted for Hunt.

I did vote Tory in the 2019GE, like millions of others, because the alternative was Corbyn and my local MP was Damian Hinds - who's sane.
    I am pleased, PLEASED, I voted Lib Dem then [1]. Even as a Leaver, I knew Corbyn was wrong and had bad feelings about Johnson. I think I was right in both respects.

[1] The candidate therefore got 2 votes! Best non-Labour result in Bootle since the Stone Age.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't care two hoots about the Tory party. I do care about the damage being done to the country.
    Same here. But you'd think a Tory might care about that? Are there any of them still in the 22 these days?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Relatively rare to see an outright sacking. Even when it is a sacking oftentimes it is dressed up as a resignation.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Do you think he should hang on?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Not at all. I couldn't countenance Corbyn being PM of the UK. As @biggles said, knowing all that has happened (and not knowing how everyone else might vote, @Farooq ) I would vote the same way again.
    Boris cited his mandate tonight as the reason to stay. That means you.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Speaker and House can call a sitting.
    As I have said a lot earlier - only a full vote of House will now end this.

British Trump is now attempting a coup and he must be stopped.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337
    kyf_100 said:

Gove is —— WAS —— about the only effective minister left. Effectively operating what could be said to be the governments domestic policy.

Gove was also doing reasonably well at sorting out the cladding crisis. Going after the companies who constructed the sub-standard buildings, rather than the poor leaseholders who bought them. The stuff he was coming up to solve the crisis wasn't perfect, but way, way, way better than the loathesome Jenrick who came before him.

Gove's attitude towards the whole cladding / leasehold debacle warmed me to him substantially. One of the few front line politicians of the Johnson era I actually respect.
    Yes, he's a politician interested in policy. Always interesting.
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127
    Scott_xP said:

FFS, now it's W1A script...

Senior No 10 source putting a positive spin on struggles to fill vacant ministerial posts:

"Maybe this is a good opportunity to slim down government. We are focusing on delivering and the economy and this is an opportunity to do less better”

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1544784987618164736

The band playing Abide with Me as the cruise liner slipped beneath the waves. You have to admire professionalism
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

At this point I would not be surprised if the 1922 somehow fail or equivocate on changing the rules in the first place, thus meaning no second VONC in the first place.
    They will change the rules.
  • Options
    TimS said:

I really didn’t think he would go full on Trump but he has. This is damaging stuff.

There are certain people who reach positions of power in democracies, who demonstrate through their behaviour that given the chance they would take the country into dictatorship. He’s the first British PM I’ve seen this trait in. Trump had it. Clearly Orban, Erdogan and other managed democrats do. Indira Gandhi. De Gaulle got close. But most others ultimately go when asked.

Sorry, but it's been obvious since autumn 2019 at the very latest. Anyone who didn't realise it by that point was not paying attention at all.

You all should not have voted for him. Corbyn and Brexit are not a good enough excuse.
  • Options

It's Eid this Saturday, I'm meant to not focus on politics this weekend.

#GoingToDisappointMyMotherOnceMore

Happy Eid when it comes!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Oh but it can. What has changed since they met earlier today to change their minds?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Yes and he is of course wrong.
  • Options
    Seems Johnson's response to having no one left to fill ministerial posts will be to delete the posts from government.

He needs to be sectioned never mind VONC.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

He may cite it, its still nonsense. Should we give credence to his skewed opinions?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,630

Scott_xP said:

Boris ally on Gove sacking just now: "He has just always been treacherous, disloyal, self-obsessed, untrustworthy - pick whichever you like."
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1544779364092485634

...but he's still the PM

"Boris ally" narrows it down to a handful.....
    Nadine is Boris’s Rudi Giuliani.
  • Options
    Keystone said:

Scott_xP said:

FFS, now it's W1A script...

Senior No 10 source putting a positive spin on struggles to fill vacant ministerial posts:

"Maybe this is a good opportunity to slim down government. We are focusing on delivering and the economy and this is an opportunity to do less better”

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1544784987618164736

The band playing Abide with Me as the cruise liner slipped beneath the waves. You have to admire professionalism
    A kazoo band.

British Kazoo Band 1960
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ariSnPOp4Rg
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

kyf_100 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

General election, 2019.

Yes and he is of course wrong.
    Can’t be much fun being part of Boris’ figleaf.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    If you need to be reassured that British politics is still saner than some of the alternatives, check out this Congressional campaign ad:

https://twitter.com/Jerone4Congress/status/1544700948164972546
This discussion has been closed.