Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

PG/Britain Trump refuses to face reality – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,973
    I can think of few people I'd rather stand against in an election than Suella Braverman. Best of luck to her.
    https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1544807765276856320
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,666
    The last August election was in 1895. Polling days were 13th July to 7th August.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1895_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Another taste of America in 2022. A traffic argument becomes a shouting match about race: "You're breathing my air, you f-ing coloniser."

Pt 1: https://twitter.com/Wtfportland1/status/1543012260330672128

Pt 2: https://twitter.com/Wtfportland1/status/1543012669090701312

Portland is f##ked.

https://twitter.com/Wtfportland1/status/1544670364701052930?s=20&t=RrsBM_xXfJozUZ-rqIvR9A
    In the 1990s it was one of the best cities in the United States to live in.
    Mrs U has relatives who live there so we have visited a lot. It always had the reputation of a bit whacky and very liberal / hippy dippy, but all in a good way.

Now downtown become a total shit hole like LA / SF with the junkies and homeless everywhere, and then you have all the ANTIFA mob smashing shit up every other day (and during Trump the Proud Boys also turning up for a punch up), while the Mayor just shrugs and mutters about white privilege and the far right.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Another taste of America in 2022. A traffic argument becomes a shouting match about race: "You're breathing my air, you f-ing coloniser."

At least no one shot anyone.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Hancock on Peston says Boris has lost the confidence of the Cabinet and Party

That’s not important though is it. What’s more interesting is whether he has lost your confidence?
    Until he loses a VONC no, even though that is likely inevitable now
    Stop dodging the question minister!

If you had a vote in said VONC, which way would you vote? Hypothetically speaking.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    Braverman going really is the equivalent of Hermann Fegelein fleeing the bunker.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Scott_xP said:

I can think of few people I'd rather stand against in an election than Suella Braverman. Best of luck to her.
    https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1544807765276856320

How did your leadership bid go, Jess?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

That’s not important though is it. What’s more interesting is whether he has lost your confidence?
    He might have, now that HYUFD has realised that Braverman is available as an alternative option.

I've recently started rewatching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, saw an episode last night where they were battling a demon that could possess a corpse (for a short time) or a living person but when threatened would jump into possessing another available body. We seem to be at the stage that the threat is so severe the body jump is about to happen and another vessel has to be found.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

If you had a vote in said VONC, which way would you vote? Hypothetically speaking.
    I would still vote for Boris as my position remains he got a mandate for a 5 year term.

However I am not an MP and if most Tory MPs voted no confidence in him then at that point he would have to go
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    moonshine said:

Hancock on the telly! “Hello everyone. You might remember me. What matter most? That Im handsome, smart and saved all your lives”.

Nope. What matters is like your boss at the time you broke lockdown rules that every night you told us we must obey or face killing gran and also the full weight of the law.

Tw*t.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    How bad is the energy price situation? I've just looked at a chart on trading economics showing the price of gas coming right down.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/natural-gas
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,345
    Stereodog said:

Braverman going really is the equivalent of Hermann Fegelein fleeing the bunker.

I think that after this experience we now have a new reference point for political bunkers to replace that one. In future it will be “the PM is quite fucked but not Boris 2022 fucked”.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Lol

America is SO doomed. One shouldn’t laugh but I’d weep otherwise

Also, isn’t he… Chinese? A big tubby American Chinese guy? The same Chinese that are slaughtering the Uyghurs and dominating Asia? And he calls her the “fucking coloniser”

The Left has carefully constructed this madness
    Maybe these sorts of petty arguments were happening before but we didn't know about them before social media.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

I would still vote for Boris as my position remains he got a mandate for a 5 year term.

However I am not an MP and if most Tory MPs voted no confidence in him then at that point he would have to go
    Fair dincome
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

thank fuck
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,214
    Johnson lost the plot after he ditched Marina. He needed Marina to tell him "the game's up you lying, philandering sack of ****!"
  • Options
    Just a thought, but the judgement that led Braverman to declare a leadership bid while still in government when most are in bed and chaos is all about us is the same judgement that gives this government its legal advice. Sleep well everyone.
    https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1544809243911536641
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

TimS said:

I really didn’t think he would go full on Trump but he has. This is damaging stuff.

There are certain people who reach positions of power in democracies, who demonstrate through their behaviour that given the chance they would take the country into dictatorship. He’s the first British PM I’ve seen this trait in. Trump had it. Clearly Orban, Erdogan and other managed democrats do. Indira Gandhi. De Gaulle got close. But most others ultimately go when asked.

Sorry, but it's been obvious since autumn 2019 at the very latest. Anyone who didn't realise it by that point was not paying attention at all.

You all should not have voted for him. Corbyn and Brexit are not a good enough excuse.
    I am probably in a minority of one.
    But I voted for labour in 2019, and actually regret not voting for Boris.
    Looking back, the danger was always infinetly greater with Corbyn than Boris. That is still true today.
    Can you imagine dealing with the situation in Ukraine with Corbyn as PM?
    There are far bigger issues than this 'trump lite' act of not leaving office when the game is probably up.
    The problems with lying etc are not good, but there is a much bigger picture.

Yes, the bigger picture is you didn't have to vote for either of them. If you voted for Corbyn, you were a numpty.
    It's Farooq's fault everyone.
    Corbyn was fucking useless, his supporters trebly so, and had that not been the case we would not be where we are now. Plenty of blame to go round,, and definitely no shortage for lefty fannies who effectively arranged for phatboi to be elected unopposed.
    It's your fault

Stop wriggling

Examine your conscience deep down you know it.

Naughty corner with Farooq and TOPPING for you.
    A corner of honour.

Thing is, no one's wriggling.

We or at least I am saying I am very happy I voted for Boris instead of Jezza. Delighted. Relieved. You name it. Not wriggling.
    Your fault.

Glad you own it.
    Absolutely. And if the alternative were Corbyn again, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Your fault you put Corbyn up as the alternative.
    Some of us voted Lib Dem (having always voted Labour) because we thought they were both untrustworthy morons.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Are there any Tory MPs not preparing to throw their hat into the ring for the leadership?

May?

She's just waiting to be made caretaker PM.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    The tactical nuclear option for Johnson is to simply withdraw the whip from everyone who is against him.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Just a thought, but the judgement that led Braverman to declare a leadership bid while still in government when most are in bed and chaos is all about us is the same judgement that gives this government its legal advice. Sleep well everyone.

Not really. She puts her name on it. That’s all.
  • Options

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

He might have, now that HYUFD has realised that Braverman is available as an alternative option.

I've recently started rewatching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, saw an episode last night where they were battling a demon that could possess a corpse (for a short time) or a living person but when threatened would jump into possessing another available body. We seem to be at the stage that the threat is so severe the body jump is about to happen and another vessel has to be found.
    If Boris goes Wallace remains my preference as next leader
  • Options
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

If a majority of Cons MPs are against him and you are for him you know that that would mean you weren't a proper Tory.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

1. What Mandate? We elect individual MPs. Not a government. Not a Prime Minister?
    2. What 5 year term? Yer man changed the law so that there is no term length
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    The Boris Truther movement starts now. 😊
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    PB what-aboutery nearly notable as Boris's tenacity.

For some reason, thinking of the giggling inside the Bunker, in April 1945, at the news from Warm Springs GA.

NOT saying every PB what-abouter is a "true" BJ Tory. After all, not everyone stuck in the Bunker was NSDAPer.
  • Options

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Buffy is excellent
  • Options
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    I was at the theatre this evening watching My Fair Lady (highly recommended). I thought the Cabinet delegation could have done worse than belt out “Without You” to the PM.

“They can still rule with land without you.
    Windsor Castle will stand without you.
    And without much ado we can all muddle through without you.”
  • Options

The tactical nuclear option for Johnson is to simply withdraw the whip from everyone who is against him.

And the 300 member “Independent Conservative Party” is largest Party and bribes 30-40 of his to join so it can take power.
  • Options
    Braverman's rational position in full:

1. The PM is unfit to serve as Prime Minister and should resign
    2. I think I should replace him as PM and will campaign to be leader
    3. I continue will serve in Boris Johnson's cabinet
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Scott_xP said:

Suella won't survive scrutiny of her sect.
    Let alone anything else.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,475
    Andy_JS said:

The Boris Truther movement starts now. 😊

Long time since the words Boris and truth have been so close together.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm as confused as to why you posted that as I am about HYUFD's objection to women who twerk?

From that article Braverman comes across as calm, measured and reasonable while Thornberry comes across as a fool who knew she was asking questions that can't be answered and had to get chided by the Deputy Speaker.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

If a majority of Cons MPs are against him and you are for him you know that that would mean you weren't a proper Tory.
    No it doesn't, you can vote for whoever you like in internal party elections, though my preference is normally loyalty to the leader, especially one who won a general election
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Scott_xP said:

In tomorrow's Times I report that junior Conservative MPs are forming plans to back a "new generation" leadership candidate.

Sources named three candidates they might back: Kemi Badenoch, Simon Clarke, Suella Braverman

Great to have a story stood up so quickly!
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1544804946826125318

Simon Clarke or Suella Braverman.

As serious candidates.

Seriously?
    Anyone who thinks it couldn't be any worse after Johnson is not paying attention. Our only hope is that the MPs prevent a loony making it to the membership ballot because if they do you can bet that's who they will choose. Bear in mind how many thousands of sensible Tory members have departed since Boris became leader.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

"A well-placed source said the former PM was ‘uniquely placed’ to step in if Mr Johnson tries to order a snap election or quits straight after being ousted in a break with convention."

A Mrs T May of Maidenhead has been in contact....
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    Very very unusual for me to come on here this late at night.

Can't sleep.

It's all a bit too much for someone who has watched politics.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    I'm as confused as to why you posted that as I am about HYUFD's objection to women who twerk?

From that article Braverman comes across as calm, measured and reasonable while Thornberry comes across as a fool who knew she was asking questions that can't be answered and had to get chided by the Deputy Speaker.
    Where did I object to women who twerk? That was Leon
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265

Can't the party withdraw the whip from him? Whose decision is it?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Can't sleep.

Dont feed any of us Mogwis after midnight whatever you do
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960
    Farooq said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Buffy is excellent
    Yep Brilliant. I watched avidly when it was originally broadcast.
  • Options
    Perhaps Boris Johnson's most toxic legacy will have been to have fuelled the delusion that prime minister is a job to which any politician can legitimately aspire, no matter how limited their experience or mediocre their talents. https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1544805199419772929

Fair play to her. idiots, cranks and sociopaths like Iain Duncan Smith, Jeremy Corbyn and Boris Johnson have all led major political parties in the last twenty years, so why should she not regard herself as being well above that standard? https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1544805199419772929
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Scott_xP said:

Probably the ideal person to fulfil that role in current circumstances. Whatever her faults she is scrupulously honest and dignified. She also will have no long term ambitions for it. Steady hand for a short period of time.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

"A well-placed source said the former PM was ‘uniquely placed’ to step in if Mr Johnson tries to order a snap election or quits straight after being ousted in a break with convention."

Oh please, please let this happen.

I am on v big pay out.

• Options
    Hunt has dropped to 7th place in the next Tory leader betting stakes.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.160663234
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Can't the party withdraw the whip from him? Whose decision is it?
    No, he is still pm, sacks chief whip, employs new chief whip. Nadine for example
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The LOL's would finish several people off.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

I hope @Big_G_NorthWales is okay.

I genuinely feel really sorry for decent, hard-working, party members and followers who must be gutted by what is going on.

Fuck him, he voted for this prick
    He didn't. If I recall correctly, he lost his nerve, contemplated resigning, then after the leadership votes were over he seemed to tacitly support BJ indirectly by defending BJ's policies when people criticised them.

Recently he has claimed that he want Boris gone
    General election, 2019.
    Every single one of you who voted Conservative is complicit in this and should apologise.
    I did not vote in 2019. I voted LibDem in 2017. I might never bother voting ever again.
    Vote - don't ever miss your opportunity.
    If I do it in Bootle, you've surely got to do it wherever you are.
    Remember this: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/2575238#Comment_2575238
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

The easier option is for the Party to withdraw the Whip from Boris. For bringing the Party into disrepute.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited July 2022

Andy_JS said:

Are there any Tory MPs not preparing to throw their hat into the ring for the leadership?

May?

It will be nice to have a caretaker in as PM.

For a start, I understand there's a swing in the garden that wants fixing, and I'm not totally sure all the wine fridges have had the necessary electrical safety test done.
  • Options

Farooq said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Buffy is excellent
    Like @dixiedean I rewatched it fairly recently and was amazed how well it's aged. Only a few little bits and bobs about computers in the early series look very dated. Amazing for >25 years old
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Perhaps Boris Johnson's most toxic legacy will have been to have fuelled the delusion that prime minister is a job to which any politician can legitimately aspire, no matter how limited their experience or mediocre their talents. https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1544805199419772929

To me, I would think it shows the exact opposite. Boris is living, breathing proof that "... prime minister is NOT a job to which any politician can legitimately aspire, especially if they have limited experience or mediocre talents."
  • Options

Farooq said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Buffy is excellent
    Worth a re-watch.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Buffy is excellent
    Never watched it but I remember how big it was at the time.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

The best version of that I have seen on film was Fallen with Denzel Washington and John Goodman. Brilliant concept of a murderous spirit that can jump from one person to another and possess them simply by being nearby. There is an amazing scene where Washington is having a conversation with the spirit as it jumps from person to person as they pass him in the street.

Great twist at the end as well.

Worth looking up.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Andy_JS said:

May?

For a start, I understand there's a swing in the garden that wants fixing, and I'm not totally sure all the wine fridges have had the necessary electrical safety test done.
    The wallpaper needs to be updated too.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Can't sleep.

Indeed. Put them in shower instead. They can cool off in there.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,263
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Lol

America is SO doomed. One shouldn’t laugh but I’d weep otherwise

Also, isn’t he… Chinese? A big tubby American Chinese guy? The same Chinese that are slaughtering the Uyghurs and dominating Asia? And he calls her the “fucking coloniser”

The Left has carefully constructed this madness
    Maybe these sorts of petty arguments were happening before but we didn't know about them before social media.
    That whole Woke discourse - used by both of them - is almost entirely new

I dunno how new twerking is, but here it is being done by a Democrat State Senator for Rhode Island. It has caused “a stir”

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status/1544131356526948352?s=21&t=zvrgmXrGKn4mL26TIXXdOg
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

Did a full Buffy re-watch a while ago.
    It really stands up well.
    Plus. Alyson Hannigan.
    I haven't seen it in about twenty years, keep meaning to and saw it on Disney+ the other day and thought I'd give it a go. Only on season two so far, but I'm surprised how well its holding up so far.

Alyson Hannigan is great in anything she does. Between this, American Pie and HIMYM ...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Typo sorry, its been a long day.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

HYUFD said:

No it doesn't, you can vote for whoever you like in internal party elections, though my preference is normally loyalty to the leader, especially one who won a general election
    You disagree with the majority of Conservative MPs. You are not a Tory.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Where did I object to twerking per se? I did not
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

There isn't really anything left other than nuclear options now is there?

Changing the rules stinks.
    Parliamentary VONC risks GE and Blackford himself this evening said it was the nuclear option.
    Withdrawing the Whip would leave his rump smaller than the Labour party, and might leave the rebels in the same boat.

Other than Johnson finally seeing the inevitable, every option is now a nuclear one.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Now I'm even more confused by your objection.

So women twerking is fine. Is it black women twerking that represents the fall of civilisation?
  • Options
    We need to trick Boris into a virtual reality where he can remain PM forever as his physical body decays away before the eyes of visitors to his sealed cubicle in the museum of freaks.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

May?

The wallpaper needs to be updated too.
    God no. We'd have the place covered in leopard print within the week.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

She doesn’t want it for herself. But if her friends and colleagues insist… She would of course give up the powers in due course, unless her friends and colleagues were to insist..

• Options

Heathener said:

Can't sleep.

Indeed. Put them in shower instead. They can cool off in there.
    Its water isnt it? Ive got my Gremlin lore muddled up
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Well. I'm going to turn in.
    Thanks for your company on a nerdtastic day
    That's for both my political friends and political foe/friends.
    Cheers for the LOL'S.
    Not sure we can hit such heights again.
    But tomorrow may excel?
    Here's hoping.

I hope it doesn't, I got next to no work done today. Normally if I obsess about politics for a bit, I can get it done later on or earlier, but not today.

Need a few days of calm before we do this all over against next week when the 22 allows the next confidence vote. Got to get some work actually done!
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Hachet job will be incoming on Zahawi.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

We need to trick Boris into a virtual reality where he can remain PM forever as his physical body decays away before the eyes of visitors to his sealed cubicle in the museum of freaks.

Like that ST: Next Generation episode where they somehow manipulate Moriarty into a tiny little box with a universe inside it for him to explore?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    A May interregnum would be the least awful outcome for the party at this stage. Familiar face, opportunity to cool off etc.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

She doesn’t want it for herself. But if her friends and colleagues insist… She would of course give up the powers in due course, unless her friends and colleagues were to insist..

I so badly want her to stand at the lectern, accept the solemn duty and remark that for anyone worried she will implement policies, she is merely there to guide the ship through this brief storm and the new PM will find that 'nothing has changed'
    Then do her dance into number 10
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

So women twerking is fine. Is it black women twerking that represents the fall of civilisation?
    The Democrat State Senator for Rhode Island has the answer - see the video below. We need MORE twerking - but in politics

As a way out of our present mess Boris could strip down to his undies, stand upside down on Southend Beach and twerk his booty for maybe a minute, and we could rate him out of 100 for how he did “the thun thun”. Perhaps then Sir Keir Starmer could do the same on Islington Green, peeling off his suit to do some “booty poppin”, or “booty clappin” to the tune of “shakin it fo Daddy” or “Dance A$$” played by his wife on harpsichord
  • Options

Like that ST: Next Generation episode where they somehow manipulate Moriarty into a tiny little box with a universe inside it for him to explore?
    Precisely what i was thinking actually!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Well. I'm going to turn in.
    Thanks for your company on a nerdtastic day
    That's for both my political friends and political foe/friends.
    Cheers for the LOL'S.
    Not sure we can hit such heights again.
    But tomorrow may excel?
    Here's hoping.

Lightweight....
  • Options

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

I so badly want her to stand at the lectern, accept the solemn duty and remark that for anyone worried she will implement policies, she is merely there to guide the ship through this brief storm and the new PM will find that 'nothing has changed'
    I suspect Strong and Stable may be mentioned.
  • Options

A May interregnum would be the least awful outcome for the party at this stage. Familiar face, opportunity to cool off etc.

Electorally it would stabilise them too. They risk haemmorage of polling figures that may become irreversible
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Can't sleep.

The politics, cricket and tennis have all been a bit intense over the last few days.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Yokes said:

I seem to remember his big break in politics came from Jeffrey Archer.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

I suspect Strong and Stable may be mentioned.
    'Anyone up for a leaders debate?'
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Scott_xP said:

Given Scotland {HEARTS} Theresa and Brexit is done - the Tories, and more importantly the country, could do a lot worse...
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Maybe twerking with relation to abortion is the problem? If you believe it's a sober subject, which I think most people in this country believe it is, on both sides.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

Given Scotland {HEARTS} Theresa and Brexit is done - the Tories, and more importantly the country, could do a lot worse...
    And she'll curtsy how she fucking likes!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,796

Scott_xP said:

Oh, go on then. Think I will. Must be the response.

If someone tries to frighten you into staying your hand in such a fashion it is usually a good sign you should not do so, if you are able. Nothing good comes from giving in to such a threat.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,279

The problem is that a caretaker PM won't have the authority to make any major or contentious policy decisions. There's a strong consensus on Ukraine, so I wouldn't see making decisions related to that as problematic. However, on other major issues facing the country - inflation, preparing for the winter energy crunch, in particular - what decisions could a caretaker make?

In two month's time it is September, the next increase in the energy price cap is imminent and winter is coming. Johnson does need to go, but a summer of flapping about with a leadership election isn't going to do the party much good either.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

And she'll curtsy how she fucking likes!
    I hope she wears a nicer jacket this time!
  • Options
    Presumably Boris Johnson sacks Suella Braverman tonight or first thing tomorrow (after all James Duddridge told us there were lots of people desperate to serve)

Either way, it's attorney general questions at 10am in the Commons tomorrow.

And Braverman's no 2 quit yesterday

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1544816830413504512
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    To be fair to May, beyond Brexit she did actually have an agenda many would quite like. And with a majority of 80 she could do some of it.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856

The problem is that a caretaker PM won't have the authority to make any major or contentious policy decisions. There's a strong consensus on Ukraine, so I wouldn't see making decisions related to that as problematic. However, on other major issues facing the country - inflation, preparing for the winter energy crunch, in particular - what decisions could a caretaker make?

In two month's time it is September, the next increase in the energy price cap is imminent and winter is coming. Johnson does need to go, but a summer of flapping about with a leadership election isn't going to do the party much good either.
    Well the alternative is to keep Johnson in post, which is sub ideal. There’s no proof he wouldn’t try to reverse ferret, or perform some new constitutional outrage.
  • Options
    It’s five mins to midnight, and the PM - having promised he would be making appointments today - has managed to increase the 46 resignation vacancies he had, to 47, by sacking a senior cabinet minister.

This reset is going well. ~AA https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1544817137650393088/photo/1
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    biggles said:

To be fair to May, she did actually have an agenda many would quite like. And with a majority of 80 she could do some of it.

Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill could be back in Number 10...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    Hasn’t expected twerking to be centre stage as a topic this evening. But PB continues to surprise.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited July 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Maybe twerking with relation to abortion is the problem? If you believe it's a sober subject, which I think most people in this country believe it is, on both sides.
    That makes no sense.

If a dance move at a protest can draw so much ire that its a debasing fall of civilisation, I wonder how much worse things could get?

Next week, the horror as its revealed that Democrats are stooping to doing the Robot while demanding that guns aren't brought into schools.

To top it off with the Moonwalk for protecting the First Amendment. Its like Sodom and Gomorrah come to life.
This discussion has been closed.