Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Game over, man – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,312

RobD said:

So, who will be interim PM if he does flounce?

Theresa May.

Note - We don't have interim PMs, we have full fat PMs, no acting Presidents like those treasonous colonials in America.
    If he flounces we already have a DPM. Someone needs to explain to me how the Private Secretary to The Queen doesn't call in Raaaaab in that circumstance and instead calls the rejected former PM?
    Same reason Nick Clegg wouldn't have become PM if David Cameron fell under a bus.

The PM needs to command a majority of the Commons, I don't think Raab will get that.
    Entirely different. Clegg wasn't in the majority party. Raab is. How does the Private Secretary judge who in the cabinet is able to carry the house?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

It feels like it is all over for the PM now, one way or another. But it is worth pausing to consider what a dramatic fall from grace it is. In political terms, it is only 5 minutes since he won his party a large majority. It is unprecedented, certainly in modern times.
    https://twitter.com/tombradby/status/1544681661366943744

He won the Tories their biggest majority since Thatcher in 1987 in 2019 and they will now likely have to wait another 30 years to match it
    The first part is true. The second part is a pessimistic opinion, but if true it will be because of Boris. It is Boris (and those not acting against him) that have caused it. Under any other leader the Tories might well lose because of sheer longevity of the Tory govt, but might come back in 5 years. Boris may put them in the wilderness as you say, but it is Boris' fault.
    And those, like HYUFD who were blinkered enough to think he was worth keeping.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    Kemi resignation is a massive blow to Johnson's ship of fools.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,005
    Scott_xP said:

Innovative new tactic from Fay Jones: doesn't quit her job as a PPS but says she will if PM is still in office tomorrow.

Think that takes us to 28.5 resignations... https://twitter.com/TomLarkinSky/status/1544687845176184838/photo/1

Initiating a futures market in resignations.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Foremain, others on the right shared your contempt of Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,616
    GIN1138 said:

Boris won't flounce. He's stay as acting PM during the leadership election, hoping to *just* pass Theresa May's tenure.

He needs to resign in the next few hours and set out a timetable for the new leader to take over if he wants that, otherwise Raab takes over tomorrow evening and he becomes PM until a new leader is chosen.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
    Sky News is running a live count of government resignations in the top right corner of the screen.

Absolutely sensational. https://twitter.com/JakubKrupa/status/1544683857286512646/photo/1
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    Hmm the signature of Craig Williams looks either like a boot or a pair of cock and balls. Both apt for the PM.

https://twitter.com/craig4monty/status/1544688168162713601
  • Options

Cue HY. Not a True Tory etc.

Where is HY anyway?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

I will confess I do have a sliver of sympathy for Boris Johnson.

For his entire life he has wanted to be PM and look at him now.

But my sympathy is outweighed by the LOLS.

He really isn't worthy of your sympathy.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,005

Yes, agreed. Something of a darling for the culture warriors, I believe.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Scott_xP said:

Can read my statement here on why I am not able to offer my support to the Prime Minister any longer https://www.facebook.com/craig4nwarks

Damn it, put it in italics, for a second I thought you had decided you could not support him anymore
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,091
    Chris said:

The BBC quotes a "senior ally" of Johnson as giving him "full support" but adding "This is not sustainable."

Barclay or Raab. Mogg would have added prithy thee or some shite and Dorries would have talked about potting a drop goal
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Once he goes the Tories' problems really start.

What are they for? Who are they for?

How do they reconcile their different constituencies?

And how the hell do they persuade us to trust all these MPs and a new leader and Cabinet who up until recently were telling us to support the PM?

Yes.
    No one else has the sheer chutzpah and bull to keep the coalition together.
    Penny is pretty though. So that ought to be enough, apparently.
    I have one wish. That all those Tory MPs and supporters who cheered Boris on and supported him and inflicted him on us and told off those of us who warned from the start what a useless dangerous and unfit person he was now shut up for a considerable period and reflect on their appalling judgment and try and learn some lessons and not expect to be praised for - finally - doing something that should have been done some time ago by anyone with a shred of decency and intelligence.

We bloody told you so.

We bloody told Labour so about Corbyn too.

Perhaps the political parties could try finding someone with some basic integrity, humility and common-sense for a change instead of these arrogant uncivilised and malicious oafs they keep inflicting on us.
    There was no appalling judgement.

Boris was the right person for the circumstances. We needed someone who could get us out of the quagmire of Article 50 and to get Brexit done. Boris was the only appropriate person to do that.

If Boris is bad, then what does it say about the likes of Corbyn, Grieve, May, Hunt, Starmer and Swinson etc that Boris was the best person leftover for the job?

The good thing about British politics though, unlike American politics, is that our leaders are not Presidents and are not elected dictators. Just as they can be put into power, they can also be removed from it. The circumstances that existed in 2019 that made Boris appropriate are done and dusted, they're no longer there. Boris's advantages have gone, his disadvantages are magnified, and so he's outlasted his welcome.

Its time for him to go. Just because the alternatives in 2019 were worse, doesn't mean that he's good enough for 2022. The circumstances have moved on and he has to go.
    You exemplify perfectly the sort of person who still does not get it.

He was not the right person.

He got Brexit "done" (not that it is) by lying. And those lies have poisoned and are continuing to poison the Tory party and British politics generally. Until that poison is drained and those lies confronted and truth spoken politics - and the Tory party - in particular will continue to circle the drain and disappear down it.
    I get it, but I disagree with you. By 2016 and 2019 all major politicians had lied on the subject of Europe. Too many politicians think their own white lies are OK if it furthers their agenda and Boris may be unique int the volume of them, but not the telling of them. Blair, Brown, Cameron, Clegg, Corbyn, Starmer, Grieve etc all told outright lies on the subject of Europe.

That is one reason why people voted for Brexit, because they were fed up of the lies, and then politicians opposed to Brexit lied their way into trying to frustrate how people had voted - so Boris was the right person regrettably to resolve that dilemma - like the famous saying of Nixon to China.

However, we aren't in 2019 anymore. Nixon's gone to China, Brexit is done, there is no reason to keep Nixon on now. Dealing with the poison is the priority now. Time to put the lies behind us, get rid of Boris, and try to rebuild.
    We are still lying to ourselves about Europe only now we're lying to ourselves about Brexit. Only when we confront those lies can we find a way forward. This is not about reversing the decision in any sense. It has been made. But we cannot find a sensible way forward until we realise that we are deluding ourselves about what Brexit means for us. We need to be honest about what it means. Then we can try and find a way forward.

I do not see that honesty yet - either in the Tories or, frankly, in Labour. So I think the European question will continue to gnaw away at our politics with baleful consequences for us all.
    Labour I believe (albeit I haven't seen the person I usually ask about such things for a while) that talking about Brexit is merely going to open up wounds and lose them potential votes. Best to ignore it at the next election and focus on other matters
    But they can't. Brexit and how it has been implemented affects our economy ever single day. All those other matters are affected by it. We are not earning our living. We have to earn our living if we want all the things that political parties promise us. How do we earn our living is the big question right now because only when we get that even half-way right will we be able to deal with the cost of living and everything else. Brexit affects that question.

A political party which ignores that is just being cowardly. And it is not being honest with voters.

Honesty with voters - even if that involves giving them a tough message is needed now more than ever. IMO.
  • Options

It's the christian thing to do.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,598
    biggles said:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1544673998964932609

Kemi Badenoch resigns as Equalities Minister

stop, stop, he's already dead.....

It’s political whack-a-mole. Would be quite funny if there wasn’t a country that needed running.
    On a day to day basis the country is run by IT geeks, and women and men who understand sewage, water, electricity distribution, gas, petrol, payment systems, food production, distribution logistics and rubbish collection. And how the NHS sort of works.

Just be thankful that neither politicians nor Whitehall chaps have the faintest idea how any of them actually work. I sing a little song of thanks daily to all of the above.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

And how the hell do they persuade us to trust all these MPs and a new leader and Cabinet who up until recently were telling us to support the PM?

Yes.
    I have one wish. That all those Tory MPs and supporters who cheered Boris on and supported him and inflicted him on us and told off those of us who warned from the start what a useless dangerous and unfit person he was now shut up for a considerable period and reflect on their appalling judgment and try and learn some lessons and not expect to be praised for - finally - doing something that should have been done some time ago by anyone with a shred of decency and intelligence.

We bloody told you so.

Perhaps the political parties could try finding someone with some basic integrity, humility and common-sense for a change instead of these arrogant uncivilised and malicious oafs they keep inflicting on us.

Boris was the right person for the circumstances. We needed someone who could get us out of the quagmire of Article 50 and to get Brexit done. Boris was the only appropriate person to do that.

If Boris is bad, then what does it say about the likes of Corbyn, Grieve, May, Hunt, Starmer and Swinson etc that Boris was the best person leftover for the job?

The good thing about British politics though, unlike American politics, is that our leaders are not Presidents and are not elected dictators. Just as they can be put into power, they can also be removed from it. The circumstances that existed in 2019 that made Boris appropriate are done and dusted, they're no longer there. Boris's advantages have gone, his disadvantages are magnified, and so he's outlasted his welcome.

Its time for him to go. Just because the alternatives in 2019 were worse, doesn't mean that he's good enough for 2022. The circumstances have moved on and he has to go.
    He always was completely inappropriate. You are just clutching at your Brexit straw. People like you are the reason the country is in this fucked up mess. Sorry to spoil your day, Barty, but you have no judgement. Anyone who ever thought a lying philandering lazy fat incompetent oaf like Johnson was suitable for our highest position in the land has no judgement, or at the very kindest assessment has a massive blind spot. There were other people who could have pretended to believe in Brexit who would have stood a chance of delivering it. Even Gove was a better prospect; a complete tosser but at least he is competent.

Talking of f8cked up messes, checked out the mighty euro in the currency markets recently?
    If you are suggesting I was ever in favour of us joining the Euro you are laughably off beam.
    What I am suggesting , respectfully, is that things are just as bad inside the EU as they are out of it and possibly much worse.

The weakest EU economies are preventing the ECB from using interest rates to control inflation, and goodness knows where prices could get to there this winter as a result.
    Possibly, but my objection to Brexit was that it was damaging and pointless. I have been proved right, just as I have been proved right on my judgement of Boris Johnson. As a right of centre person, I think I was probably in a minority of one holding the latter view on here at one time. I definitely am not correct on all things, but on those two, I will continue to say I told you so, and enjoy it.
    Maybe, but I think all the same that events may make a closer relationship with the EU in the near future a difficult sell.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,790
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Senior Tories now telling me they expect one of Boris Johnson's inner circle, possibly Canzini, to tell him it's time to stop. PM isn't quite there psychologically, they think, but needs a hand on the shoulder from someone who he trusts.
    https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1544672872530153476

Does Bozo actually trust anyone?
    It's not as though anyone trusts him.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,275
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris's epitaph will be that he got all the big calls right.

But treated every other call with utter contempt.

OPatz was a big call. And he fucked it up.

Pincher was a big call. And it ended him.
    I'll give Johnson appointing Kate Bingham as a call he got right...
    The Kate Bingham who said we wouldn't want to vaccinate the whole adult population because the risk of side effects was too great?

If that was one of his good calls, I'd hate to consider the bad ones!
    Did she specifically say that? And when? Often population effects only become clear after much wider use (as in the AZ clotting problem) as 1 in 10,000 odds don't show up in trial data that well.
    Yes, of course she said that.

And why one wouldn't want to vaccinate against a disease with around 1% infection fatality rate, because of side effects that didn't show up in a trial of 30-40,000 people is still a complete mystery to me. God knows what a mess we'd still be in now if her advice then had been followed.
    You got a quote?
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 157
    Does anyone know how many have resigned now?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,827
    Scott_xP said:

My letter of resignation as PPS to the Chancellor ⬇️ https://twitter.com/craig4monty/status/1544688168162713601/photo/1

It has been a pleasure to serve as one of Boris Johnsons's consistent critics over the last couple of years, but in all conscience I can no longer maintain track of all his various misdemeanours and lies anymore so must also tender my resignation today.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

The Kate Bingham who said we wouldn't want to vaccinate the whole adult population because the risk of side effects was too great?

Did she specifically say that? And when? Often population effects only become clear after much wider use (as in the AZ clotting problem) as 1 in 10,000 odds don't show up in trial data that well.

And why one wouldn't want to vaccinate against a disease with around 1% infection fatality rate, because of side effects that didn't show up in a trial of 30-40,000 people is still a complete mystery to me. God knows what a mess we'd still be in now if her advice then had been followed.
    You got a quote?
    Also what is the IFR for those under 40?
  • Options
    2022 as exit year is now 1/33

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,548

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes.

We bloody told you so.

Alternatively, run the candidates past a pb.com panel.

"No....next....no....next...are you out of your tiny minds?....."
    Please, oh please, could I be on that panel?
    Damn it, your the Chair!
    Oh good.

Hours of fun!

I've updated some of my AML worksheets and here's one question you will like.

A client has given you hundreds of thousands of pounds in suitcases which you accept, are you

1) The Prince of Wales

2) Committing an AML violation

3) Both
    You forgot option 4) - a total fucking idiot with such poor judgment that you shouldn't be allowed to cross the street unaided.

Your final option then becomes All of the Above.
    I'll update the worksheet right now.
    5) You are Dimitry Rogozin. For some people, being handed a suitcase of cash is a life changing moment. For you - it’s a Tuesday.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    RobD said:

Where is HM?

Latest news is that she was at Windsor yesterday.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes.

We bloody told you so.

You exemplify perfectly the sort of person who still does not get it.

He was not the right person.

He got Brexit "done" (not that it is) by lying. And those lies have poisoned and are continuing to poison the Tory party and British politics generally. Until that poison is drained and those lies confronted and truth spoken politics - and the Tory party - in particular will continue to circle the drain and disappear down it.
    I get it, but I disagree with you. By 2016 and 2019 all major politicians had lied on the subject of Europe. Too many politicians think their own white lies are OK if it furthers their agenda and Boris may be unique int the volume of them, but not the telling of them. Blair, Brown, Cameron, Clegg, Corbyn, Starmer, Grieve etc all told outright lies on the subject of Europe.

That is one reason why people voted for Brexit, because they were fed up of the lies, and then politicians opposed to Brexit lied their way into trying to frustrate how people had voted - so Boris was the right person regrettably to resolve that dilemma - like the famous saying of Nixon to China.

However, we aren't in 2019 anymore. Nixon's gone to China, Brexit is done, there is no reason to keep Nixon on now. Dealing with the poison is the priority now. Time to put the lies behind us, get rid of Boris, and try to rebuild.
    We are still lying to ourselves about Europe only now we're lying to ourselves about Brexit. Only when we confront those lies can we find a way forward. This is not about reversing the decision in any sense. It has been made. But we cannot find a sensible way forward until we realise that we are deluding ourselves about what Brexit means for us. We need to be honest about what it means. Then we can try and find a way forward.

I do not see that honesty yet - either in the Tories or, frankly, in Labour. So I think the European question will continue to gnaw away at our politics with baleful consequences for us all.
    Labour I believe (albeit I haven't seen the person I usually ask about such things for a while) that talking about Brexit is merely going to open up wounds and lose them potential votes. Best to ignore it at the next election and focus on other matters
    But they can't. Brexit and how it has been implemented affects our economy ever single day. All those other matters are affected by it. We are not earning our living. We have to earn our living if we want all the things that political parties promise us. How do we earn our living is the big question right now because only when we get that even half-way right will we be able to deal with the cost of living and everything else. Brexit affects that question.

A political party which ignores that is just being cowardly. And it is not being honest with voters.

Honesty with voters - even if that involves giving them a tough message is needed now more than ever. IMO.
    And probably gives the Tories enough votes to win 15-25 more seats than they would otherwise do so.

Sometimes the only sane option is to keep quiet even if it's not the absolutely correct thing to do...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,383
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

I wouldn't have sympathy for him if he had bullet ants biting his anus
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Sir Robert Syms has submitted a letter.
    I fear for Graham Brady's letter opening hand. And back as he picks them up.
  • Options

Chris said:

The BBC quotes a "senior ally" of Johnson as giving him "full support" but adding "This is not sustainable."

Barclay or Raab. Mogg would have added prithy thee or some shite and Dorries would have talked about potting a drop goal
    Probably Barclay. Raab will discover next week that the support of your party and cabinet is actually quite important to the role of PM.
  • Options
    Sir Robert Buckland, who has until now stuck by Boris Johnson despite reservations, calls on him to quit.

He tells @Telegraph that 1922 committee chair Sir Graham Brady has "instruments of torture" ready to help persuade the PM to go.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1544690586552344578
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,986
    dixiedean said:

Sir Robert Syms has submitted a letter.
    I fear for Graham Brady's letter opening hand. And back as he picks them up.

He’s surely invested in one of those automatic machines at this point.
  • Options
    Most preferred Conservative leader if Boris Johnson were to stand down:

Don't know 38%
    Rishi Sunak 14%
    Dominic Raab 6%
    Jeremy Hunt 6%
    Liz Truss 4%
    Ben Wallace 4%
    Priti Patel 4%
    Sajid Javid 4%
    Michael Gove 3%
    Nadhim Zahawi 2%
    Penny Mordaunt 2%
    Tom Tugendhat 2%
    Someone else 11% https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1544690888416296961/photo/1
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Theresa May.

Note - We don't have interim PMs, we have full fat PMs, know acting Presidents like those treasonous colonials in America.
    OMG. I just checked my next PM board and it seems I have sprinkled bets all over the place in last year or so.

With one on May - big pay out.

Although I suspect BF will pull some kind of stunt about interim not counting even though the rules appear clear.

Bizarrely, I seem to have put £2 on Ken Clarke back in January at 1000/1, and i can't remember why.

You were pished?
    Sound man/woman. Ken C should be dusted down and brought in from the lords as temporary PM. Righting a wrong at last...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Sir Robert Buckland, who has until now stuck by Boris Johnson despite reservations, calls on him to quit.

He tells @Telegraph that 1922 committee chair Sir Graham Brady has "instruments of torture" ready to help persuade the PM to go.

Ratcheting it up?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,892
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Boris won't flounce. He's stay as acting PM during the leadership election, hoping to *just* pass Theresa May's tenure.

He needs to resign in the next few hours and set out a timetable for the new leader to take over if he wants that, otherwise Raab takes over tomorrow evening and he becomes PM until a new leader is chosen.
    I think he'll make an announcement either this evening or tomorrow morning.

It's over and he know's it's over IMO but we'll see.
  • Options
    Batting collapse seems stuck at 29.

Come on guys, let's get over the 30.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

My letter of resignation as PPS to the Chancellor ⬇️ https://twitter.com/craig4monty/status/1544688168162713601/photo/1

It has been a pleasure to serve as one of Boris Johnsons's consistent critics over the last couple of years, but in all conscience I can no longer maintain track of all his various misdemeanours and lies anymore so must also tender my resignation today.
    Love his signature, As someone commented, it looks like an unfinished cock and balls!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Scott_xP said:
    I think Mr Logan makes it 30...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Does anyone know how many have resigned now?

37. Nearly a third of the payroll vote.
  • Options
    Assuming all this finishes Boris (he's still PM as I write so wait and see, the earth is not yet scorched, and HM the Queen not yet been dragged into the politics of party to call an election) the extraordinary thing to any normal person is that it is not Brexit fails, Covid, Ukraine, Inflation, maximal taxation, unrepayable debt that finishes him, but a series of actions every one of which is avoidable by the exercise of ordinary self interest even if you had no personal standards.

Usually the utterly amoral have a strong sense of other people's values even if they despise them. And a strong sense of how to appear moral when necessary. Odd.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Ratcheting it up?
    Buckland had a face of utter contempt when the camera caught him on the backbench during one of Johnson's useless replies in PMQs.
  • Options

Hmm the signature of Craig Williams looks either like a boot or a pair of cock and balls. Both apt for the PM.

https://twitter.com/craig4monty/status/1544688168162713601

Get that resignation in before the new guy can think about replacing you.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes.

We bloody told you so.

He always was completely inappropriate. You are just clutching at your Brexit straw. People like you are the reason the country is in this fucked up mess. Sorry to spoil your day, Barty, but you have no judgement. Anyone who ever thought a lying philandering lazy fat incompetent oaf like Johnson was suitable for our highest position in the land has no judgement, or at the very kindest assessment has a massive blind spot. There were other people who could have pretended to believe in Brexit who would have stood a chance of delivering it. Even Gove was a better prospect; a complete tosser but at least he is competent.

Talking of f8cked up messes, checked out the mighty euro in the currency markets recently?
    If you are suggesting I was ever in favour of us joining the Euro you are laughably off beam.
    What I am suggesting , respectfully, is that things are just as bad inside the EU as they are out of it and possibly much worse.

The weakest EU economies are preventing the ECB from using interest rates to control inflation, and goodness knows where prices could get to there this winter as a result.
    Possibly, but my objection to Brexit was that it was damaging and pointless. I have been proved right, just as I have been proved right on my judgement of Boris Johnson. As a right of centre person, I think I was probably in a minority of one holding the latter view on here at one time. I definitely am not correct on all things, but on those two, I will continue to say I told you so, and enjoy it.
    Maybe, but I think all the same that events may make a closer relationship with the EU in the near future a difficult sell.
    It is inevitable. Not membership, but alignment similar to Switzerland.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited July 2022
    Parliament rises on the 21st of July. Is it vaguely possible that Johnson can hang on until then?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    Logan's Run? 30 was the big bad number for Logan ;)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,844
    Scott_xP said:

This committee is utterly surreal. A prime minister in his final hours promising to hold meetings he will never get to hold about policies he will never get to implement. It’s bonkers.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1544687453889495040

Yes and no. It's a side show but stuff goes on the record as having been asked about, and the taking forward of many of these lines will be in one of the red boxes for the new PM.
  • Options
    At what stage does the actual business of government cease to function?
    There must be hundreds of cancelled meetings and postponed decisions already?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Theresa May.

Note - We don't have interim PMs, we have full fat PMs, know acting Presidents like those treasonous colonials in America.
    OMG. I just checked my next PM board and it seems I have sprinkled bets all over the place in last year or so.

With one on May - big pay out.

Although I suspect BF will pull some kind of stunt about interim not counting even though the rules appear clear.

Bizarrely, I seem to have put £2 on Ken Clarke back in January at 1000/1, and i can't remember why.

You were pished?
    LOL. I checked the date and time and it was made at 11pm - so quite possibly post-pub!!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,368

2022 as exit year is now 1/33

Is the question not rather whether it is going to be 6/7 or 7/7?
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 157
    There is something quite remarkable about his determination not to be driven out, really quite tenacious.

Imagine is he channelled that drive into his work and discipline around him, he could have been a formidable PM.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

RobD said:

Theresa May.

Note - We don't have interim PMs, we have full fat PMs, no acting Presidents like those treasonous colonials in America.
    If he flounces we already have a DPM. Someone needs to explain to me how the Private Secretary to The Queen doesn't call in Raaaaab in that circumstance and instead calls the rejected former PM?
    Same reason Nick Clegg wouldn't have become PM if David Cameron fell under a bus.

The PM needs to command a majority of the Commons, I don't think Raab will get that.
    And it’s just about believable for May to say “I don’t want to stay”. Same would be true for a short Cameron ministry from the Lords.

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,844

eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    Logan's Run? 30 was the big bad number for Logan ;)
    He's done that for a laugh y'know.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,511

dixiedean said:

[snip!]

It might work on half the population...
    It will certainly be a change...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Well, to be honest, the country needs a rest from this mad meddling.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,167

Bet your boy Dave is having a good chuckle right now. Theresa too, given the role Big Dog had in their respective downfalls.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,987

I think it is right to have sympathy for people - even those you fundamentally disagree with or consider 'bad' people when something nasty happens to them which is out of their control. But in this case everything that is happening to Johnson is completely self inflicted and he has it in his power to end it at any time.

I have no sympathy.

Nor much for those who are remaining loyal to him. They will find they should have brought longer spoons.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Some countries manage for months waiting for a coalition govt to form.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Worth a look. Not one of the 'I can do joined up writing' brigade. Wadham's standards must be slipping.
  • Options
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:
    Very fine name if I may say so.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,137

Chris said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

You got a quote?
    It had quite a lot of publicity at the time. But feel free to disbelieve it if you like.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,127

Cue HY. Not a True Tory etc.

Where is HY anyway?
    He has resigned.
  • Options
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:
    ...which is around 6600 feet.
    i checked the map, and I am 90% sure I can see the highest peaks of the “Accursed Mountains” on the Albanian border. They are about 60 miles away
    That's 100km not 100 miles (which is 160km)...
    As I said before. “100 miles” was an oratorical flourish, I had no true idea

But I can see a long way

The Accursed Mountains do look quite ominous
    Ah, now all bets are off if there are mountains in the background.

Where's the furthest you can see in the UK? There's a few views across the Irish Sea which must be 100 miles. I reckon you can see Northern Ireland from the top of Scafell Pike on a clear day, not that I've ever had a clear day at the top of Scafell Pike. Few such places have restaurants though, even mediocre ones.
    "not that I've ever had a clear day at the top of Scafell Pike." The one time I was on Scafell Pike, I could not see further than the front of our car.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,987
    dixiedean said:

I do wonder at what point he finds he cannot fill the posts that have been vacated. There were not that many backbenchers who supported him last time around and there will be even fewer now. If he does try to hang on it will be interesting to see how many ministerial posts remain vacant.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,790
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Roger said:

Anyone know if the vaccine rollout was the best in the world and if we currently have the best economy in the G7?

Two claims I heard made today and neither were questioned.

We certainly have a world beating reenactment of Custer’s last stand with our blonde tousle haired hero bravely fighting to the end with troopers Mogg and Dories as the arrows of outrageous fortune rain down on them.

As the end comes Boris Custer wonders if Carrie will mourn his little big horn.
    Gettysburg surely ... civil war innit.
    This one's just started, though.
    Boris an early casualty.
  • Options
    How many ministers will have resigned while Bozzatron was sat in the committee meeting?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Parliament rises on the 21st of July. Is it vaguely possible that Johnson can hang on until then?

Yes. That’s his plan.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    algarkirk said:

Assuming all this finishes Boris (he's still PM as I write so wait and see, the earth is not yet scorched, and HM the Queen not yet been dragged into the politics of party to call an election) the extraordinary thing to any normal person is that it is not Brexit fails, Covid, Ukraine, Inflation, maximal taxation, unrepayable debt that finishes him, but a series of actions every one of which is avoidable by the exercise of ordinary self interest even if you had no personal standards.

Usually the utterly amoral have a strong sense of other people's values even if they despise them. And a strong sense of how to appear moral when necessary. Odd.

That's part of the psychopath/sociopath distinction.
    It's the former who have that ability in spades.
    Sociopaths aren't amoral. They simply don't care.

If either, the PM fits the latter much better.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-sociopath-380184
  • Options
    I can believe Wallace saying this.

Cabinet ministers privately saying it's all over but that they're staying in government out of a sense of duty

Duty not to PM, but to ensuring that there is still a government left to actually run the country

They think it will be done in the next 24-48 hours

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1544691452504117249
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

I thought you were a muslim?
  • Options
    Wow. @BorisJohnson finally confirmed something he has previously ducked repeatedly. Asked by @Meg_HillierMP whether he met ex-KGB spy Alexander Lebedev without officials when he was Foreign Secretary he replies: "I probably did."
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1544692382523858946
  • Options
    Jessica Elgot
    @jessicaelgot
    ·
    1h
    It’s over - whips telling MPs they don’t have anyone to fill posts
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:
    ...which is around 6600 feet.
    i checked the map, and I am 90% sure I can see the highest peaks of the “Accursed Mountains” on the Albanian border. They are about 60 miles away
    That's 100km not 100 miles (which is 160km)...
    As I said before. “100 miles” was an oratorical flourish, I had no true idea

But I can see a long way

The Accursed Mountains do look quite ominous
    Ah, now all bets are off if there are mountains in the background.

Where's the furthest you can see in the UK? There's a few views across the Irish Sea which must be 100 miles. I reckon you can see Northern Ireland from the top of Scafell Pike on a clear day, not that I've ever had a clear day at the top of Scafell Pike. Few such places have restaurants though, even mediocre ones.
    "not that I've ever had a clear day at the top of Scafell Pike." The one time I was on Scafell Pike, I could not see further than the front of our car.
    You went up there in a car?
  • Options

I'm the world's worst Muslim.

Although this Saturday is one of the two days a year I have to pretend to be a devout Muslim.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,892

The vast majority of Prime Ministerial careers end badly either through being booted out by their party or being booted out by the electorate (or occasionally losing referendums ;) )
  • Options

I'm the world's worst Muslim.

Although this Saturday is one of the two days a year I have to pretend to be a devout Muslim.
    Eid Mubarak!
  • Options
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I do wonder at what point he finds he cannot fill the posts that have been vacated. There were not that many backbenchers who supported him last time around and there will be even fewer now. If he does try to hang on it will be interesting to see how many ministerial posts remain vacant.
    My thoughts too. There cannot be many Boris Johnson sycophants left on the backbenches as most of them he has put in the cabinet.
  • Options
    And another..! Graham Brady may as well meet Johnson at the door at the end of the Liaison Committee. It's over. https://twitter.com/HuwMerriman/status/1544693144645734402
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Boris Corbyn will simply follow his twin brother Jeremy's playbook and appoint one loyalist numpty to multiple cabinet posts.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,126
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

The Queen isn’t going to appoint Raab PM.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Wonder if the new PM, whoever they are, is going to publicly align our policy on UAPs with the United States?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

You got a quote?
    It had quite a lot of publicity at the time. But feel free to disbelieve it if you like.
    Not disbelieving, looking for context. As ever with covid, we know more with time. Early on it seemed that covid presented little threat to younger people, and I would argue that is generally true, albeit there will always be exceptions. So saying that it might be sensible not to vaccinate the under 40's because of the possibility that side effects might be worse than the disease for the U40's is not unreasonable. We have also seen that the vaccines have not been great at suppressing spread, so the argument for vaccinating everyone to crush the spread is not as strong as it would be if spread was suppressed by 99%. The overall IFR may be 1%, it won't be for those under 40 and certainly not for those under 18.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

dixiedean said:

That point has now been reached.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,383
  • Options
    By my calculations, four ministers have resigned in the 45 minutes Boris has spent in the committee meeting...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Most preferred Conservative leader if Boris Johnson were to stand down:

Don't know 38%
    Rishi Sunak 14%
    Dominic Raab 6%
    Jeremy Hunt 6%
    Liz Truss 4%
    Ben Wallace 4%
    Priti Patel 4%
    Sajid Javid 4%
    Michael Gove 3%
    Nadhim Zahawi 2%
    Penny Mordaunt 2%
    Tom Tugendhat 2%
    Someone else 11% https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1544690888416296961/photo/1

A problem. 'Don't know' a clear, and justified leader, and would do a good job. The only candidates with a name but not tainted by being in this lousy government (until 3 minutes ago in some cases) are Hunt and Tugendhat. In a sane world Hunt canters home 39 lengths ahead. In the actual world Priti Patel actually has supporters.

• Options
    "Minister for Safeguarding" *snigger*
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    i notice Skynews have a resignation counter on screen.

31 now
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes. That’s his plan.
    That may be his plan but it is not going to happen. He just might make tomorrow but it is looking increasingly unlikely.
  • Options
    One would have thought the Minister for Safeguarding might have had a look at the Whip's Office.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    It’s amusing to me how many of those sticking the knife into Johnson today, have shall we say, less than impeccable records when it comes to their own sexual conduct.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

No.

Not unless he is going to undertake all functions of government himself. And he's too lazy for that....
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

The Queen isn’t going to appoint Raab PM.
    Why on earth not, if he commands a majority?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,511
    dixiedean said:

This is the thing - are there now enough MP's in the 'loyal' pool to actually replace these junior Ministers, regardless of competency? If not, can the Government function?
This discussion has been closed.