Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Game over, man – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    Am I being stupid to assume that if Boris decided to call a snap election to try and cling on, Labour could quickly go for a VoNC in parliament, Boris would lose and then the Queen has to call someone to try and form a gov.

Surely that would be neither Boris nor SKS due to numbers and therefore would have to be a Tory anyway.

Point being that calling an election doesn’t help him?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019
    Ouch!

"That's true about you isn't it. You're not going to learn any lessons and you're not going to change are you."

Knife to the heart.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

Scott_xP said:

**Nadhim Zahawi** is in the delegation of cabinet ministers about to tell the prime minister to go, I'm told
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1544705556262313984

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

In the space of 24 hours Zahawi has got himself into the second biggest job in government, and is now telling the PM to go so triggering a leadership challenge with him starting it as Chancellor.

Like a script from House of Cards.
    It is truly the most insane plot thread so far.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

Fucking hell, Boris Johnson doesn't know the details of the Lascelles Principles.

For not knowing that he needs to resign now.

I thought Newcastle have signed Botman to replace him?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,822
    Captain Hindsight...

"We know who he is."

"Yes, it's you."
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

Can Johnson unilaterally call a general election?

Wouldn't such a call need to be ratified by parliament?

Not anymore . Only the Queen now can refuse to stop the mad man .
    Would he really do it without Cabinet approval though?
    The Palace will know he does not have Cabinet behind him and will therefore turn down his request for a dissolution.
    If he calls the Queen's bluff he'll look like the worst sore loser ever.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    Scott_xP said:

**Nadhim Zahawi** is in the delegation of cabinet ministers about to tell the prime minister to go, I'm told

Truth is stranger than fiction.

I knew we were watching some sort of wacky political theatre production penned by a deranged playwright when Huw Merriman sent in his letter of no confidence while interviewing the prime minister in the committee. Now this.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,021
    This is absolutely astonishing . Never seen anything like this in my life .
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,347
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1544706216789786628

PM is not denying he said “all the sex pests are supporting me”. This is painful
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Bryant on fire
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,585

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

In theory could the cabinet/party immediately support a different person and get to the Queen first? So she sacks BJ ?
    If that happens I'll become a Monarchist for the rest of my life but the prorogation crisis shows she'll do whatever her PM tells her to do.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    For God's sake end this committee meeting and send him back to No 10 to meet the Men in Suits for the final ending.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    What is going on
  • Options

nico679 said:

There’s nothing sad about seeing the end of the most disgusting corrupt PM in living memory.

Wouldn't choose exactly those words but certainly the worst in my lifetime {Atlee onwards, since you ask}.

Interesting and serious follow-up question- who would be the second worst? Off the cuff I'd suggest Eden, but I'd need to think about it.
    Eden certainly made one catastrophic error of judgement which led to the country being humiliated, but I don't know enough about his Premiership more generally to say where he ranks. I'd think Theresa May was quite competitive with him.
    Eden and Cameron have more in common.
    Eden was a v successful FS and effectively Deputy PM for some years.

They are both near bottom though because of disastrous judgements.

Post war, you’d want to suggest something like;

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    5. Wilson / Heath / Major
    6. Brown / Callaghan / May
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

I have not bothered to rank ADH.

Serious question, where would you put peace time Churchill in that list?
    Sorry, yes, =5.

“Moderately consequential”.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    MISTY said:

General elections are called by the sovereign on the advice of her ministers, unless five years have elapsed since a new Parliament met for the first time since the last general election.

We do not yet know if the Queen will apply the Lascelles principles to reject a request for a GE, but we all have opinions on the question.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

A lot of people are going to sell a lot of books writing this up.

Not Johnson. He won't sell shit.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Bryant on fire

I will never call him Reverend Underpants again.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900

Scott_xP said:

Well shit in a bag and punch it
    I called him a 'slippery eel' earlier.....

It looks like I was flattering him.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

In the space of 24 hours Zahawi has got himself into the second biggest job in government, and is now telling the PM to go so triggering a leadership challenge with him starting it as Chancellor.

Tim Shipman did point this out on twitter yesterday when everyone was saying Zahawi is mad.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Am I being stupid to assume that if Boris decided to call a snap election to try and cling on, Labour could quickly go for a VoNC in parliament, Boris would lose and then the Queen has to call someone to try and form a gov.

Surely that would be neither Boris nor SKS due to numbers and therefore would have to be a Tory anyway.

Point being that calling an election doesn’t help him?

Not stupid, but no.
    The Queen - under advisement - would not let Boris exercise what presents as an unsupported election.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

In theory could the cabinet/party immediately support a different person and get to the Queen first? So she sacks BJ ?
    Yes. The PM is the person who commands a majority in the House. That’s the old Tory system - the Cabinet decides and let’s the Queen know.

Unprecedented for the PM to need sacking rather than resign though.
  • Options
    "He was facing a lot of public pressure..."

"He resigned because you lied to him."
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140

MISTY said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris's epitaph will be that he got all the big calls right.

But treated every other call with utter contempt.

OPatz was a big call. And he fucked it up.

Pincher was a big call. And it ended him.
    I'll give Johnson appointing Kate Bingham as a call he got right...
    The Kate Bingham who said we wouldn't want to vaccinate the whole adult population because the risk of side effects was too great?

If that was one of his good calls, I'd hate to consider the bad ones!
    Did she specifically say that? And when? Often population effects only become clear after much wider use (as in the AZ clotting problem) as 1 in 10,000 odds don't show up in trial data that well.
    Yes, of course she said that.

And why one wouldn't want to vaccinate against a disease with around 1% infection fatality rate, because of side effects that didn't show up in a trial of 30-40,000 people is still a complete mystery to me. God knows what a mess we'd still be in now if her advice then had been followed.
    You got a quote?
    Also what is the IFR for those under 40?
    Bad enough.

Looking at a country where vaccine hesitancy was considerably greater than here: https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/07/covid-was-the-leading-cause-of-death-in-americans-aged-45-54-in-2021/

Covid was the leading cause of death in Americans aged 45-54 and the second top cause of death in Americans aged 35-44 in 2021.

In any case, the way people focus on the death rate (which is admittedly important) and skip past the severe illness/hospitalisation/long term consequences rates does frustrate me.

Rates of death from cardiovascular or pulmonary diseases is a lot higher in post-covid sufferers of all ages. Neurological damage is far more common. We're going to be sweeping up the debris from this for decades.

And thanks to the massive and relentless hospitalisations we've seen, ambulance delays and other hospital appointment delays have been huge and will remain huge going forwards. Unless or until we give big increases in resources to hospitals and sort out filtration in shared areas nationwide (we're missing the window on this for a third summer in succession).

Meanwhile, the decision to only give spring boosters to 75+ is now coming back to bite us on the arse:

(To bring it around to the need to have vax rollout to younger ages)
    Do you really trust the way that data was recorded?

The people recording it were largely under enormous pressure to justify measures that have been proven to have some truly awful consequences. As far as I know, nobody is seriously contemplating re-introducing these measures, such were their effects.

What, the ONS?
    Seriously?

The ONS survey has been running for two years now, and is the gold standard for surveillance. The people in the ONS had and have nothing to do with decision-making for restrictions or lack of them.

And yes, we know restrictions were unpleasant. Rampant covid with minimal immunity around was even more unpleasant, as was its effects. No-one's seriously considering reintroducing these measures, because the effect of our immunity colossally reduces the impacts of covid.

Whilst 13,400 children lost a parent to covid before the immunity had been built up, far fewer will do so going forwards.

(Except in China, where they've seriously fouled up on vax rollout. Comparing Omicron surges in Hong Kong and New Zealand:
    The remark is really quite funny, because it's so obvious that the only "pressure" that could conceivably be being exerted would be in precisely the opposite direction - to minimise the level of infection - in order to fit in with the government's political narrative.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

nico679 said:

There’s nothing sad about seeing the end of the most disgusting corrupt PM in living memory.

Wouldn't choose exactly those words but certainly the worst in my lifetime {Atlee onwards, since you ask}.

Interesting and serious follow-up question- who would be the second worst? Off the cuff I'd suggest Eden, but I'd need to think about it.
    Eden certainly made one catastrophic error of judgement which led to the country being humiliated, but I don't know enough about his Premiership more generally to say where he ranks. I'd think Theresa May was quite competitive with him.

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

Hmmm:

The measure of a PM is performing well in difficult times. Blair had a golden legacy that flatters his performance. (Macmillan is flattered for the same reasons.) Eden was much worse than Cameron, and I would posit Johnson.

PMs that had really difficult problems to solve and performed well:

Thatcher (numerous)
    Major (the 1992 recession, Northern Ireland)
    Attlee (post war reconstruction)
    Cameron (GFC fallout)

And I think you have to say that Johnson performed no worse than peers (and in some ways better) over covid, and he did (sadly via lying) actually get Brexit enacted.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MISTY said:

Yes with reservations

No
  • Options

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

Sadly way down. he was past his peak by a long way.
    Oh I agree. Though I am not sure that by Gardenwalker's standards he made any of the really big individual mistakes during his second Premiership that GW ascribes to Cameron and Eden. Nor was he, even at his worst, as fundamentally dishonest, lazy and ignorant as Johnson.

I would probably put him in with Heath and Major and promote Wilson up alongside Supermac.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

nico679 said:

I think he will...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

Whacky Races up the M4 to get to Windsor first.....
  • Options
    "After that outbreak of mythomania..."
  • Options
    And now the race among Cabinet Ministers to make it known they are part of the "delegation" ...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    Lady on the ctte asking Boris to add 32 to 148.

Of course, this being today, she is already out of date because almost while she was speaking the tally has grown to 33!
  • Options
    This blood sport must be banned.

• Options

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

They'll have to stop the pigeon.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,563
    The only way this vice like grip on the job from someone like Bojo nakes sense is if there's a worse personal consequence to him from leaving now than what he's enduring. I shudder to think what that might be.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    If Zahawi survived as Chancellor to the next leader that would surely go down as one of the most impressive examples of naked ambition through shameless bootstrapping.
  • Options
    They've just told him that his new Chancellor is in the delegation of grey suits with whisky and a revolver. He looked perplexed.
  • Options

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

Queenie is entitled to see Johnson, accept his request for dissolution and say she will reflect on it and take soundings of advisors and get back to him.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    So either Boris goes, or goes nuclear.....
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,134

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

Oi! Enough of that nonsense 😛
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,417
    I know that this can annoy some people but just on this occasion could you all keep up the relevant tweets from political hacks? It's hard to spot the relevant ones even with about 10 tabs open :smiley:

This is endgame.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Scott_xP said:

And another..! Graham Brady may as well meet Johnson at the door at the end of the Liaison Committee. It's over. https://twitter.com/HuwMerriman/status/1544693144645734402

The smiling assassin.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Scott_xP said:

Tim Shipman did point this out on twitter yesterday when everyone was saying Zahawi is mad.
    I am sure someone here yesterday called Zahawi 'the emerging serious candidate' compared to 'flaky' Mordaunt.
  • Options

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

Sorry, yes, =5.

Seems spot on to me. Though as I said I think I would move Wilson up a spot alongside Macmillan.
  • Options

If Zahawi survived as Chancellor to the next leader that would surely go down as one of the most impressive examples of naked ambition through shameless bootstrapping.

I want him to resign. Before 10pm. Chancellor for less than 24 hours would make him a permanent fixture in the political history books.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    edited July 2022

Of course, this being today, she is already out of date because almost while she was speaking the tally has grown to 33!

Heh. Brilliant question. The only defence “that’s not correct because some of my ministers voted against me last time in secret” doesn’t really wash.

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,539

Yes. He might have played a blinder

Doubt it tho
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,452
    Lewis, Shapps, Zahawi and Hart will be the grey suits that go to see the liar king
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

Hmmm:

The measure of a PM is performing well in difficult times. Blair had a golden legacy that flatters his performance. (Macmillan is flattered for the same reasons.) Eden was much worse than Cameron, and I would posit Johnson.

PMs that had really difficult problems to solve and performed well:

Thatcher (numerous)
    Major (the 1992 recession, Northern Ireland)
    Attlee (post war reconstruction)
    Cameron (GFC fallout)

And I think you have to say that Johnson performed no worse than peers (and in some ways better) over covid, and he did (sadly via lying) actually get Brexit enacted.

Johnson is hard to rate; after all he won an election (many didn’t) and oversaw Brexit which of course is a big deal.

However the man is obviously is clearly the most inept and dishonest holder of the PM office in that list, and for this reason - and indeed the nature of his departure - he is downweighted to bottom.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited July 2022

Not sure the members will see it as impressive bootstrapping though.

His predecessor will get the credit for doing the right thing.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,658
    MISTY said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Once he goes the Tories' problems really start.

What are they for? Who are they for?

How do they reconcile their different constituencies?

And how the hell do they persuade us to trust all these MPs and a new leader and Cabinet who up until recently were telling us to support the PM?

Yes.
    No one else has the sheer chutzpah and bull to keep the coalition together.
    Penny is pretty though. So that ought to be enough, apparently.
    I have one wish. That all those Tory MPs and supporters who cheered Boris on and supported him and inflicted him on us and told off those of us who warned from the start what a useless dangerous and unfit person he was now shut up for a considerable period and reflect on their appalling judgment and try and learn some lessons and not expect to be praised for - finally - doing something that should have been done some time ago by anyone with a shred of decency and intelligence.

We bloody told you so.

We bloody told Labour so about Corbyn too.

Perhaps the political parties could try finding someone with some basic integrity, humility and common-sense for a change instead of these arrogant uncivilised and malicious oafs they keep inflicting on us.
    There was no appalling judgement.

Boris was the right person for the circumstances. We needed someone who could get us out of the quagmire of Article 50 and to get Brexit done. Boris was the only appropriate person to do that.

If Boris is bad, then what does it say about the likes of Corbyn, Grieve, May, Hunt, Starmer and Swinson etc that Boris was the best person leftover for the job?

The good thing about British politics though, unlike American politics, is that our leaders are not Presidents and are not elected dictators. Just as they can be put into power, they can also be removed from it. The circumstances that existed in 2019 that made Boris appropriate are done and dusted, they're no longer there. Boris's advantages have gone, his disadvantages are magnified, and so he's outlasted his welcome.

Its time for him to go. Just because the alternatives in 2019 were worse, doesn't mean that he's good enough for 2022. The circumstances have moved on and he has to go.
    He always was completely inappropriate. You are just clutching at your Brexit straw. People like you are the reason the country is in this fucked up mess. Sorry to spoil your day, Barty, but you have no judgement. Anyone who ever thought a lying philandering lazy fat incompetent oaf like Johnson was suitable for our highest position in the land has no judgement, or at the very kindest assessment has a massive blind spot. There were other people who could have pretended to believe in Brexit who would have stood a chance of delivering it. Even Gove was a better prospect; a complete tosser but at least he is competent.

Talking of f8cked up messes, checked out the mighty euro in the currency markets recently?
    What-aboutism ain't gonna keep the pound afloat. Nor Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

I want him to resign. Before 10pm. Chancellor for less than 24 hours would make him a permanent fixture in the political history books.
    Calculating his next pay cheque would be challenging. Is he an idiot or tactical genius?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,134
    Chris said:

And now the race among Cabinet Ministers to make it known they are part of the "delegation" ...

Apparently said delegation to include man appointed as Chancellor a few hours ago. Extraordinary even by Tory meltdown standards.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    edited July 2022
    A fortnight old joke

Kate Lister
    @k8_lister
    CAN WE GET SOME AGENCY WORKERS IN???? #ToryResignations
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,551

IshmaelZ said:

What is the heart badge?

40th anniversary of the Terrence Higgins Trust.

https://twitter.com/THTorguk/status/1541662684143267842
    Until Keir Starmer mentioned the fact at PMQs, I'd not known Terrence Higgins (of Trust fame) worked for Hansard.
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 157
    I'm tempted to put alot of money on a 2022 election.

I think if Boris dissolves Parliament and goes for election, that might be his last ditch attempt to save himself
  • Options

dixiedean said:

At what stage does the actual business of government cease to function?
    There must be hundreds of cancelled meetings and postponed decisions already?

This is the thing - are there now enough MP's in the 'loyal' pool to actually replace these junior Ministers, regardless of competency? If not, can the Government function?
    You could probably get by with far fewer ministers of state, but thatd look bad.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Thanks for the replies.

It seems to me that the only way the party can stop Johnson calling a GE is to nominate a new leader that can form a government in the near future. I don't see that happening, honestly. It will take them months.

Johnson is in quite a strong position.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,417

nico679 said:

I think he will...
    Political books often sell very poorly. Even the explosive revelation of Currie's affair with John Major didn't lead to sales. Once it was serialised that was it.

I may be wrong but I'm not sure many people will buy up the account of a serial liar.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    Perhaps you should just take a little more interest in it....
  • Options

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

Queenie is entitled to see Johnson, accept his request for dissolution and say she will reflect on it and take soundings of advisors and get back to him.

Ever actually been tested?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

nico679 said:

I think he will...
    Yes. However, judging from BJ's previous, er, outpourings, "his" books WILL be shit.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

I think if Boris dissolves Parliament and goes for election, that might be his last ditch attempt to save himself

I don't think he can pull that off.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    He seems to be excusing Pincher "because some people can't take their drink" ffs!
  • Options

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman
    A contact gets in touch 😂

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1544708309466374144
  • Options
    Has anyone checked in with HY to check he is ok?

Must be traumatic watching the boss collapse like this.

Is anyone still claiming BlowJo will carry on regardless?
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Thanks for the replies.

It seems to me that the only way the party can stop Johnson calling a GE is to nominate a new leader that can form a government in the near future. I don't see that happening, honestly. It will take them months.

Johnson is in quite a strong position.

They don't have to elect a Tory Party leader, they can nominate a caretaker.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,170

And Johnson won't do it because he is inumerate.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

IshmaelZ said:

What is the heart badge?

40th anniversary of the Terrence Higgins Trust.

https://twitter.com/THTorguk/status/1541662684143267842
    Until Keir Starmer mentioned the fact at PMQs, I'd not known Terrence Higgins (of Trust fame) worked for Hansard.
    Starmer made quite a claim at the beginning of PMQs: something like Labour working with the THT to end HIV by 2030. I might have misremembered it, but it did sound a little like Canute and the tide.
  • Options

Not half as impressive as if he ends up as leader!

With the Tories, all things are possible ...
  • Options
    I tipped Zahawi on here a few days ago after seeing those ConHome polls.

However that was before he made a serious misjudgment taking the CoE role. That, and now his absurd about-turn, make him a laughing stock.
  • Options
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871

I don't think he can pull that off.
    Maybe Pincher could help him.
  • Options

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

Sorry, yes, =5.

Chief success of Churchill's post-war premiership, was keeping Sir Anthony Eden from becoming PM long before he did.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449

Delegation to this thread saying it should go now!

• Options
    HYUFD’s absence is eloquent testimony to the effect that Boris is dead.

I doubt he is upset; He is simply awaiting new orders. I’m not sure he does “emotion”.
  • Options
    BREAKiNG: LBC reporting the 1922 committee has already changed its rules. Not yet clear in what way.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900

I tipped Zahawi on here a few days ago after seeing those ConHome polls.

However that was before he made a serious misjudgment taking the CoE role. That, and now his absurd about-turn, make him a laughing stock.

The Tories are quite forgiving of laughing stocks
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

BREAKiNG: LBC reporting the 1922 committee has already changed its rules. Not yet clear in what way.

“Nobody with the name De Pfeffel shall be allowed to stand for any Conservative office”.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712
    Wow electrifying stuff from the Liaison Committee grilling Boris. Impossible to get any work done :(
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Cyclefree said:

Maybe it's just me but do we need all these junior Ministers no-one has ever heard of. What the fuck have they been doing all this time? What is the point of them?

Aren't they the political equivalent of all those middle managers firms suddenly realised they didn't need during Covid and WFH?

Nah, with all respect to the excellent Cyclefree, that's a cheap shot. There is a huge amount of Government activity that someone needs to do which the junior Ministers keep on the road. It simply isn't practical for the Secretary of State to monitor whether, to take a random example, the current regulations on turbines in the North Sea reflect the latest research or there is a compelling case for revising them. The test of Ministers isn't whether they get reported in the broadsheets (let alone the tabloids) and whether we have heard of them.
    Fair enough. But I would like to hear what they are doing and why. It would increase my respect for them. Whereas I had assumed, cynically enough, that all these jobs were there for patronage reasons rather than because they were doing something useful.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Sean_F said:

Perhaps Johnson is hoping that thousands of his supporters will march on Whitehall and storm Parliament, to keep him as PM.

Capitol idea.
  • Options

The Grey Suits have started assembling at No 10.

Believe that spell-check has again betrayed you . . . by substituting "u" for "h" in 3rd word?
This discussion has been closed.