Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Game over, man – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    Scott_xP said:

Enough is enough. It’s time to move forward. Please see my statement below. https://twitter.com/jogideon/status/1544696509924532225/photo/1

The danger of Twitter handles.I read that name as Jogi Deon - cf. Kemi Badenoch.

Will Boris have Jogged On soon?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    This is quite the ruling by the Supreme Court.

The UK’s highest court has ruled that diplomats who exploit domestic workers in conditions of modern slavery cannot rely on diplomatic immunity to prevent compensation claims.

Describing exploitation of migrant domestic workers by foreign diplomats as a “significant problem”, the supreme court ruled by a majority of three to two that exploitation of a domestic worker for profit falls within the “commercial activity” exemption to immunity under the diplomatic convention.

The case concerned Khalid Basfar, a London-based Saudi diplomat who allegedly treated a Filipino staff member as a slave, forcing her to wear a bell 24 hours a day to be at his “family’s beck and call”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/06/diplomats-who-exploit-domestic-staff-cannot-rely-on-immunity-says-uk-supreme-court
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING. Mike freer resigns. Takes us to 32 - 15 of them ministers, 2 of them cabinet ministers. Freer: “I can no longer defend policies I fundamentally disagree with” https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1544700082905300992/photo/1

As a backbencher he's freer to criticise the Prime Minister.
    Does he do all his speeches without voice amplification?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited July 2022
    It’s over, but we don’t yet know quite how.

Boris could resign tonight or tomorrow, either with immediate effect (1), or giving enough time for leadership elections (2).

Boris could also wait for a VONC next week, following which he could either resign immediately (3), or again, giving enough time for leadership elections (4).

He could win a VONC (5).

He could also refuse to resign after an unsuccessful VONC and wait for the Queen to dismiss him (6).

There is a not unreasonable chance that Sir Graham Brady is the next PM. I don’t think Dominic Raab has a chance under any of these possibilities.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,452
    Now 32, adding ministers and PPSs together
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Meanwhile, the decision to only give spring boosters to 75+ is now coming back to bite us on the arse:

(To bring it around to the need to have vax rollout to younger ages)

I think the vaccination programme failed at the point the second jabs were due, it simply never scaled up fast and high enough to keep up the rate necessary. We've still done a great job overall, and moved far faster than most other comparable countries, but really we should be whacking these jabs into arms as fast as we can and as soon as we can. Seeing the dismal numbers we get now is very disappointing.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Last month I gave the Prime Minister “time and space” to turn the situation around after the vote of no confidence.

But things have only got worse, with No 10 continuing to try to lie their way out of difficult situations.

I have written again to Sir Graham Brady.

https://twitter.com/AaronBell4NUL/status/1544672584893079553
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Roger said:

"Game over, man"

New balls please.......

Given his number of kids, that’s one thing we can say he doesn’t need.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,347
    Sir Bob Neill skewering the liar. His lack of grasp of detail or being able to speak the truth is absolutely destroying him.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING. Mike freer resigns. Takes us to 32 - 15 of them ministers, 2 of them cabinet ministers. Freer: “I can no longer defend policies I fundamentally disagree with” https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1544700082905300992/photo/1

This is not making the Cabinet look good.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    BBC: "Foreign Secretary Liz Truss does not think this is the time to quit, the BBC understands."
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    Nigelb said:

"How important it the truth to you, Prime Minister ?"

"Very important."

Smoke issues from posterior.
    Oratorical dung continues to gush.

*Frantic mashing of X to doubt*
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    The rule about achieving a threshold.of letters then springing a vote in under 24 hours really needs to go.
    It isn't any time to take a considered view imho.
    So waverers just vote Confidence.
    Hence this.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

nico679 said:

There’s nothing sad about seeing the end of the most disgusting corrupt PM in living memory.

Wouldn't choose exactly those words but certainly the worst in my lifetime {Atlee onwards, since you ask}.

Interesting and serious follow-up question- who would be the second worst? Off the cuff I'd suggest Eden, but I'd need to think about it.
    Eden certainly made one catastrophic error of judgement which led to the country being humiliated, but I don't know enough about his Premiership more generally to say where he ranks. I'd think Theresa May was quite competitive with him.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Sir Bob Neill skewering the liar. His lack of grasp of detail or being able to speak the truth is absolutely destroying him.

Sir Bob is a criminal barrister. Not sure how much he practiced.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    Chris said:

BBC: "Foreign Secretary Liz Truss does not think this is the time to quit, the BBC understands."

“I left my flouncing hat at home today”
  • Options
    Chris said:

A bit difficult to tell from the four-paragraph report whether she means for Johnson to resign or for her to resign, but probably Johnson I think.
  • Options
    I think the backbenchers are disgusted by the no-marks in Cabinet. What drug is Liz Truss on, for example?

She hasn’t even the wit to just go to ground.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,417

moonshine said:

NEW: No confidence letters sent to Graham Brady have reached “big numbers”, I understand, making a fresh no confidence vote more likely within hours (even though the rules state a year, Brady may have no choice but to act)

https://twitter.com/janemerrick23/status/1544698852036558849

A word about all the numpties writing letters today that voted Confidence last month. If it weren’t for them the country would have been deprived of all this fun.
    Their judgement really is appalling. The only thing that has changed since early June is a Whip got pissed and gropy.
    I suspect those two crushing by-election defeats on 23rd June sharpened minds considerably.

Mike Smithson was right about them all along. It takes us back to Eastbourne on 18th October 1990. A month later Thatcher was gone.

Conservative MPs might put up with a lot, but not the prospect of most of them losing their jobs.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,188
    Chris said:

Unlike her not to want to be at the head of the Field
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,061
    Sean_F said:

Perhaps Johnson is hoping that thousands of his supporters will march on Whitehall and storm Parliament, to keep him as PM.

Gove ready for his Mike Pence moment?

Who do we think might be big figures in a new Conservative government. Some interesting names that I'd almost forgotten about.

Penny Mordaunt
    Jeremy Hunt
    Tobias Elwood
    Tom Tugendhat
    Jesse Norman
    Neil O'Brien
    Seema Kennedy
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Chris said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris's epitaph will be that he got all the big calls right.

But treated every other call with utter contempt.

OPatz was a big call. And he fucked it up.

Pincher was a big call. And it ended him.
    I'll give Johnson appointing Kate Bingham as a call he got right...
    The Kate Bingham who said we wouldn't want to vaccinate the whole adult population because the risk of side effects was too great?

If that was one of his good calls, I'd hate to consider the bad ones!
    Did she specifically say that? And when? Often population effects only become clear after much wider use (as in the AZ clotting problem) as 1 in 10,000 odds don't show up in trial data that well.
    Yes, of course she said that.

And why one wouldn't want to vaccinate against a disease with around 1% infection fatality rate, because of side effects that didn't show up in a trial of 30-40,000 people is still a complete mystery to me. God knows what a mess we'd still be in now if her advice then had been followed.
    You got a quote?
    Also what is the IFR for those under 40?
    Bad enough.

Looking at a country where vaccine hesitancy was considerably greater than here: https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/07/covid-was-the-leading-cause-of-death-in-americans-aged-45-54-in-2021/

Covid was the leading cause of death in Americans aged 45-54 and the second top cause of death in Americans aged 35-44 in 2021.

In any case, the way people focus on the death rate (which is admittedly important) and skip past the severe illness/hospitalisation/long term consequences rates does frustrate me.

Rates of death from cardiovascular or pulmonary diseases is a lot higher in post-covid sufferers of all ages. Neurological damage is far more common. We're going to be sweeping up the debris from this for decades.

And thanks to the massive and relentless hospitalisations we've seen, ambulance delays and other hospital appointment delays have been huge and will remain huge going forwards. Unless or until we give big increases in resources to hospitals and sort out filtration in shared areas nationwide (we're missing the window on this for a third summer in succession).

Meanwhile, the decision to only give spring boosters to 75+ is now coming back to bite us on the arse:

(To bring it around to the need to have vax rollout to younger ages)
    Do you really trust the way that data was recorded?

The people recording it were largely under enormous pressure to justify measures that have been proven to have some truly awful consequences. As far as I know, nobody is seriously contemplating re-introducing these measures, such were their effects.

• Options
    Bernard Jenkin not the most impartial chairman
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

nico679 said:

There’s nothing sad about seeing the end of the most disgusting corrupt PM in living memory.

Wouldn't choose exactly those words but certainly the worst in my lifetime {Atlee onwards, since you ask}.

Interesting and serious follow-up question- who would be the second worst? Off the cuff I'd suggest Eden, but I'd need to think about it.
    The run of PMs for the past 15 years - Brown, Camron, May, Johnson - is quite a low point for democracy in this country.

Personally, I'd add Blair to that run.

Which takes you back to John Major. Hmmm.
  • Options
    Chris said:

She is trying to do a John Major. It is about as convincing as her pastiche of Mrs T
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,199
    A group of cabinet ministers are about to tell the Prime Minister to resign, including the Chief Whip, reports @ionewells https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62048657/page/2
  • Options
    Its now tag team. Sir Bernard Jenkin tagged in by Sir Robert Neill, who in turn tags in William Wragg.

Tory Grandee, Tory Grandee, Tory up-and-comer.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

He used to be.
  • Options
    Word of the day is 'filipendulous' (19th century): hanging by a thread.

https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1544674271544352770
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,821
    Needle finally starting to get to him.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,188

Chris said:

She is trying to do a John Major. It is about as convincing as her pastiche of Mrs T
    She might want to be Major but she'll be Hurd in this one
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,840

It’s over, but we don’t yet know quite how.

Boris could resign tonight or tomorrow, either with immediate effect (1), or giving enough time for leadership elections (2).

Boris could also wait for a VONC next week, following which he could either resign immediately (3), or again, giving enough time for leadership elections (4).

He could win a VONC (5).

He could also refuse to resign after an unsuccessful VONC and wait for the Queen to dismiss him (6).

There is a not unreasonable chance that Sir Graham Brady is the next PM. I don’t think Dominic Raab has a chance under any of these possibilities.

I would rule out (5) and (6). I think, in order of decreasing likelihood, are (2), (4), (1), and (3).
  • Options

nico679 said:

Eden certainly made one catastrophic error of judgement which led to the country being humiliated, but I don't know enough about his Premiership more generally to say where he ranks. I'd think Theresa May was quite competitive with him.
    Eden and Cameron have more in common.
    Eden was a v successful FS and effectively Deputy PM for some years.

They are both near bottom though because of disastrous judgements.

Post war, you’d want to suggest something like;

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    5. Wilson / Heath / Major
    6. Brown / Callaghan / May
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

I have not bothered to rank ADH.

• Options
    Bojo seriously needled. Hahaha
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,091

By my calculations, four ministers have resigned in the 45 minutes Boris has spent in the committee meeting...

Say 6 per hour

144 in 24 hours

IIRC there is a max of 100 paid posts and assorted bag carriers… can you clear out a government in a day :)
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

Last month I gave the Prime Minister “time and space” to turn the situation around after the vote of no confidence.

But things have only got worse, with No 10 continuing to try to lie their way out of difficult situations.

That's the bizarre thing. Boris has been given umpteen chances. Couldn't he have at least tried to clean up his act and show some contrition? Instead he seems to have done the exact opposite - telling everyone where they can poke their objections. Almost seems like an episode of self-destruction.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

moonshine said:

NEW: No confidence letters sent to Graham Brady have reached “big numbers”, I understand, making a fresh no confidence vote more likely within hours (even though the rules state a year, Brady may have no choice but to act)

https://twitter.com/janemerrick23/status/1544698852036558849

A word about all the numpties writing letters today that voted Confidence last month. If it weren’t for them the country would have been deprived of all this fun.
    Their judgement really is appalling. The only thing that has changed since early June is a Whip got pissed and gropy.
    I suspect those two crushing by-election defeats on 23rd June sharpened minds considerably.

Mike Smithson was right about them all along. It takes us back to Eastbourne on 18th October 1990. A month later Thatcher was gone.

Conservative MPs might put up with a lot, but not the prospect of most of them losing their jobs.
    Action at the beginning of June would have saved at least one of those losses.

Pillocks.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Who is there left who would be impartial regarding the liar ?
  • Options
    New: A group of cabinet ministers are about to tell the PM to resign in No10, including the chief whip, the BBC understands. Simon Hart is also one of them. He made it clear to No10 yesterday that it was “game over” but it shouldn’t have to come by ministerial resignations.
    https://twitter.com/ionewells/status/1544703938506772481
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    edited July 2022

nico679 said:

As I recall, and I was starting to get really interested in politics then, Eden wasn't too bad. He was basically carrying on the policies of Churchill's government until he made his horrific error in going into Suez.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015

That's the bizarre thing. Boris has been given umpteen chances. Couldn't he have at least tried to clean up his act and show some contrition? Instead he seems to have done the exact opposite - telling everyone where they can poke their objections. Almost seems like an episode of self-destruction.
    Sociopath.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Perhaps Johnson is hoping that thousands of his supporters will march on Whitehall and storm Parliament, to keep him as PM.

Gove ready for his Mike Pence moment?

Who do we think might be big figures in a new Conservative government. Some interesting names that I'd almost forgotten about.

Penny Mordaunt
    Jeremy Hunt
    Tobias Elwood
    Tom Tugendhat
    Jesse Norman
    Neil O'Brien
    Seema Kennedy
    A sensible approach would be to unite all parts of the party, including those that were pushed into the HoLs. The years of division and incompetence need to be put behind ( I almost said us!) them.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    William Wragg and Sir Bernard Jenkin have tag teamed Boris Johnson here and big dog doesn't like it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369

Its now tag team. Sir Bernard Jenkin tagged in by Sir Robert Neill, who in turn tags in William Wragg.

This is difficult to watch, and how can anyone humiliate themselves to this excruciating degree has absolutely no shame

Time is up Johnson - just go
  • Options

This is difficult to watch, and how can anyone humiliate themselves to this excruciating degree has absolutely no shame

Difficult? This is amazing!!!!
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352

I will confess I do have a sliver of sympathy for Boris Johnson.

For his entire life he has wanted to be PM and look at him now.

But my sympathy is outweighed by the LOLS.

I think it is right to have sympathy for people - even those you fundamentally disagree with or consider 'bad' people when something nasty happens to them which is out of their control. But in this case everything that is happening to Johnson is completely self inflicted and he has it in his power to end it at any time.

I have no sympathy.

Nor much for those who are remaining loyal to him. They will find they should have brought longer spoons.
    That's an entirely reasonable response, Richard.

It isn't nice to kick someone when they're down but he has shown contempt for the public as well as those close to him, so difficult not to withhold sympathy on this occasion.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    dixiedean said:

The rule about achieving a threshold.of letters then springing a vote in under 24 hours really needs to go.
    It isn't any time to take a considered view imho.
    So waverers just vote Confidence.
    Hence this.

Perhaps they should do away with the vote part and simply say that if 50% of MPs send in letters of no confidence then the leader is deposed.

It's always seemed a bit weird to me that you might have MPs who would vote no confidence if there was a vote, but wouldn't write a letter to trigger a vote.
  • Options

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

Forgot post-war Churchill, who’d I’d probably put at 5=
  • Options
    Fucking hell, Boris Johnson doesn't know the details of the Lascelles Principles.

For not knowing that he needs to resign now.
  • Options
    "I knew you were gong to ask this..."

(Lascelles principles)

"NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.... unless...er"
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,021
    Bozo threatening an election if MPs try to oust him .

Astonishing and desperate .
  • Options
    Fuck me, he's still trying to stick at No10.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Can we please hurry this up, there is a big footy match on at 8pm.
  • Options
    Hang on - PM buries himself into a pit about a General Election which "Is Not Going To Happen.... unless". And he is now saying that people need to let people with mandates get on with the job.

Unfuckingbelieveable. Jenkin now pulling him back to "unless what" as he is not closing down the early election comment and instead is dancing around finishing the sentence.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Big dog's doing a steaming turd.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993

To be fair to him he’s buying time whilst he waits for a friend to offer him a free house to move into that’s up to Boris and Carrie’s expectations.

Can’t quit until he has sorted a nice stucco mansion in belgravia to write his memoirs in. Preferably with a giant tree house if possible.

• Options
    Johnson appears to threaten a general election.

"It’s not going to happen unless everybody is so crazy as to have a new…" he leaves it hanging but implies 'new leader'

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1544705335927181319
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

Serious question, where would you put peace time Churchill in that list?
  • Options
    Bernard for president

Bojo needled as fuck
  • Options
    He's just threatened to call an election, at the Liaison Committee. No doubt about it.

https://twitter.com/arthistorynews/status/1544705357150289920
  • Options

He's just threatened to call an election, at the Liaison Committee. No doubt about it.

https://twitter.com/arthistorynews/status/1544705357150289920

He absolutely did.
  • Options

Difficult? This is amazing!!!!
    I agree but I have never witnessed anyone humiliate themselves so comprehensively and surely he goes tonight
  • Options

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

I think that is harsh on Cameron, and perhaps this is because you believe his decision to promise the referendum was foolhardy. Obviously I am biased on the subject because I think that decision was poor (particularly without a mechanism for a confirmatory referendum following a deal), but on the whole I think he was a very good leader, way better than those you have at 6, and probably better than those at 5.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

This is quite the ruling by the Supreme Court.

The UK’s highest court has ruled that diplomats who exploit domestic workers in conditions of modern slavery cannot rely on diplomatic immunity to prevent compensation claims.

Describing exploitation of migrant domestic workers by foreign diplomats as a “significant problem”, the supreme court ruled by a majority of three to two that exploitation of a domestic worker for profit falls within the “commercial activity” exemption to immunity under the diplomatic convention.

The case concerned Khalid Basfar, a London-based Saudi diplomat who allegedly treated a Filipino staff member as a slave, forcing her to wear a bell 24 hours a day to be at his “family’s beck and call”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/06/diplomats-who-exploit-domestic-staff-cannot-rely-on-immunity-says-uk-supreme-court

A bloody good one too. Diplomatic immunity is widely abused by despotic nations to commit serious crimes. Hopefully the rest of the world adopts this measure.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

**Nadhim Zahawi** is in the delegation of cabinet ministers about to tell the prime minister to go, I'm told
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1544705556262313984

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

I did notice he was wearing a grey suit yesterday
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

**Nadhim Zahawi** is in the delegation of cabinet ministers about to tell the prime minister to go, I'm told

A lol situation for sure

Also Bryant for vp
  • Options
    Lol Boris, threatening an election,
    They will have to drag his corpse out.

I am not a spiteful person (other posters may disagree), but Boris is a moral leper and some kind of exile would be the best fate for him.
  • Options
    "I'd have to get back to you."

Re - formal allegations against "any other minister".
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562
    Scott_xP said:

Wow.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

As I said at the time, he was sat next to Boris at PMQs with a face like a smacked arse......
  • Options

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

Serious question, where would you put peace time Churchill in that list?
    Sadly way down. he was past his peak by a long way.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    Can Johnson unilaterally call a general election?

Wouldn't such a call need to be ratified by parliament?
  • Options
    This reminds me of the denouement of "Pyramids of Mars", when the Doctor traps Sutekh the Osiran in a time tunnel and is curious to see how long he survives.

"He survived about 24 hours".
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,026

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

I think that is harsh on Cameron, and perhaps this is because you believe his decision to promise the referendum was foolhardy. Obviously I am biased on the subject because I think that decision was poor (particularly without a mechanism for a confirmatory referendum following a deal), but on the whole I think he was a very good leader, way better than those you have at 6, and probably better than those at 5.
    The problem there is that you are looking at the overall picture rather than the overall result.

And the result of those stupid decisions over the referendum does place Cameron at No 7 in the same way that Eden is there because of decisions around Suez...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427

Scott_xP said:

Wow.
    Are these people on drugs?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Well this is just sublime.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,021
    MISTY said:

Not anymore . Only the Queen now can refuse to stop the mad man .
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    This is utter torture on the BBC...
  • Options
    edited July 2022

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

Actually I supported the referendum and continue to do so. However the mechanism was foolhardy in the extreme and wherever you stand on Brexit, Cameron unlocked six years and running of chaos and degradation to the country’s institutions.

It is better in my opinion to have PMs who achieve “nothing” than one seemingly competent PM who pulls the catastrofuck lever, hence downweighting him.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Really
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    Has Guto Harri resigned yet? He has proved to be the poor fit many predicted.
  • Options
    boulay said:

To be fair to him he’s buying time whilst he waits for a friend to offer him a free house to move into that’s up to Boris and Carrie’s expectations.

Can’t quit until he has sorted a nice stucco mansion in belgravia to write his memoirs in. Preferably with a giant tree house if possible.

What does he have to offer? Resignation honours?
  • Options
    The Grey Suits have started assembling at No 10.

• Options
    nico679 said:

MISTY said:

Would he really do it without Cabinet approval though?
  • Options

This is utter torture on the BBC...

This is political BDSM, Boris Johnson should be wearing a gimp mask.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,026
    edited July 2022
    nico679 said:

MISTY said:

And why should she - Going into a late August general election with Bozo as Tory party leader will be the perfect chef's kiss finale to his premiership...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

In the space of 24 hours Zahawi has got himself into the second biggest job in government, and is now telling the PM to go so triggering a leadership challenge with him starting it as Chancellor.

Like a script from House of Cards.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    MISTY said:

MISTY said:

No he got the power back. But it’s a prerogative power and he’s actually just for the right to ASK Her Majesty. Hence the Lacelles discussion.
  • Options

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

The Palace will know he does not have Cabinet behind him and will therefore turn down his request for a dissolution.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

The Grey Suits have started assembling at No 10.

Is there a screening of minions movie there or something?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Well shit in a bag and punch it
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

nico679 said:

MISTY said:

In theory could the cabinet/party immediately support a different person and get to the Queen first? So she sacks BJ ?
  • Options
    33 resignations
  • Options
    If it comes to it, I’ve no doubt that the Queen (de facto the Queen and the PoW and maybe even the DoC) will perform their duty with some personal satisfaction.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063

nico679 said:

1. Thatcher
    2. Attlee
    3. Blair
    4. MacMillan
    7. Cameron / Eden
    8. Johnson

I'd move Callaghan and Wilson up a place each, as well.
  • Options
    All we need now is for the men in grey suits to actually invade the liaison committee meeting room and gently lead him away.
This discussion has been closed.