Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Game over, man – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    eek said:

Nice article on Bozo over at unherd https://unherd.com/2022/07/did-boris-destroy-boris/

Asks the question what changed between Boris running London and him arriving in No 10...

Definitely worth reading, thanks. Without spoiling:

"He tried out for other parts, of course: the Brexit deal-maker, the Whitehall party-planner, the East African travel agent. But none of them really worked out."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    boulay said:

Roger said:

Anyone know if the vaccine rollout was the best in the world and if we currently have the best economy in the G7?

Two claims I heard made today and neither were questioned.

We certainly have a world beating reenactment of Custer’s last stand with our blonde tousle haired hero bravely fighting to the end with troopers Mogg and Dories as the arrows of outrageous fortune rain down on them.

As the end comes Boris Custer wonders if Carrie will mourn his little big horn.
    "No. So Sioux me...."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited July 2022
    (Formerly) Red wall North Midlands watch..

Rowley - resignation
    Anderson - Boris out
    No big show of support for Boris anywhere about Ben Bradley's twitter or facebook.
    Brendan Clarke Smith still loyal

This should be one of the strongest areas for Boris tbh, if MPs don't think he's an asset around here...
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

Downing Street

No snap election

That would be his best hope of keeping the wallpaper and curtains for a while longer.
    Some poor bugger has to inherit that gauche load of bollocks
    No, I think we can all agree it would be cruel and unusual punishment not to allow the “decoration” to be reversed with public funds.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:
    ...which is around 6600 feet.
    i checked the map, and I am 90% sure I can see the highest peaks of the “Accursed Mountains” on the Albanian border. They are about 60 miles away
    Have you a compass with you? Triangulation needed for precision. You may need to travel to another view point though, which is a bit much to prove a point for PB, but I have faith in you!
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,166
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson is due to appear before the Liaison Committee in 22 minutes.

Bloomberg reports popcorn manufacturers struggling to meet demand.
    Popcorn inflation pushes CPI up to 100% as Cost of Living crisis intensifies.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,520
    eek said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:
    i checked the map, and I am 90% sure I can see the highest peaks of the “Accursed Mountains” on the Albanian border. They are about 60 miles away
    That's 100km not 100 miles (which is 160km)...
    As I said before. “100 miles” was an oratorical flourish, I had no true idea

But I can see a long way

The Accursed Mountains do look quite ominous
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,553
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Zahawi made the wrong decision last night, I don't understand how these professional politicians are so bad a politics.

He made a decision that placed him in No 11 rather than Truss - and allowed him to escape Education which given what @ydoethur has posted is a wise move...
    But actually Truss is lucky she lost that fight, because Zahawi would have looked OK getting Foreign Sec, but his sudden advancement looks silly and tragicomic, like someone being made Governor of France by Hitler from his bunker on the eve of the fall of Berlin (not comparing Boris with Hitler btw).
  • Options

Anyone seen Comical Ali, sorry HYUFD today? lols.

Probably offline for a software upgrade...
    Harsh!
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489

I have loyally supported every @Conservatives Leader since 1992. However, today I am withdrawing my support for the Prime Minister. @BorisJohnson's leadership is untenable. My letter👇

https://twitter.com/liamfox/status/1544676137284009984

Ooh even the disgraced Liam Fox thinks Boris Johnson too disgraceful
    That will put the Fox among the ostriches.
    Although arguably the Fox has now left the ranks of the ostriches (or chickens)...
  • Options
    biggles said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

If anyone has 5 minutes to kill try https://neal.fun/absurd-trolley-problems/

I killed 54 people ..

Now what pearls of wisdom have I missed?
    68. Always was a bastard.
    52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

(I fairly consistently choose do nothing unless the choice is human versus non-human or no deaths for doing something. One exception was diverting the trolley to save best friend.)

And I was so busy killing them all that I missed the start of the new thread :disappointed:
    Me too. I killed 61 but five of them were Boomers.
    Was I wrong to kill the cat to save the lobsters so they would cook better?

No. Cats are murdering bastards who kill dozens of equally sentient tetrapods. The Lockean calculus is quite clear in this instance.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,022
    edited July 2022
    Anyone interested can watch the liaison committee live at https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/1f7d6322-7f63-4053-85dd-8355cb451c71

edit direct link outside of twitter's tracking..
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,344
    IshmaelZ said:

Went to an old mate's stag do on Saturday. At 10:30am we had a private showing of Aliens. What a perfect movie that is.

I recommend the '22 take off and nuke the entire Cabinet from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

But you're just a grunt...
    Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I *love* the Corps!

Went to an old mate's stag do on Saturday. At 10:30am we had a private showing of Aliens. What a perfect movie that is.

I recommend the '22 take off and nuke the entire Cabinet from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

The extended version, I hope?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQDy-5IQvuU

"Stopping them...it ain't stopping them."
    Of course the extended version! Was a fab start to the day.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Roger said:

Anyone know if the vaccine rollout was the best in the world and if we currently have the best economy in the G7?

We certainly have a world beating reenactment of Custer’s last stand with our blonde tousle haired hero bravely fighting to the end with troopers Mogg and Dories as the arrows of outrageous fortune rain down on them.

Gettysburg surely ... civil war innit.
  • Options

Boris's epitaph will be that he got all the big calls right.

But treated every other call with utter contempt.

As Churchill once said, even fools are right sometimes.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,191
    The proportion saying Boris Johnson should resign has risen by 10 percentage points since the VONC last month

Should resign 72% (+10)
    Should not resign 19% (-9)
    Don’t know 9% (=)

(chg from 6 Jun) https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1544679013649682433/photo/1
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,767

boulay said:

Roger said:

"No. So Sioux me...."
    Just when Boris needs the cavalry ... the Indians turn up.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,715

Scott_xP said:

FIVE ministers resign in one fell swoop: Kemi Badenoch, Neil O'Brien, Alex Burghart, Lee Rowley and Julia Lopez https://twitter.com/DominicPenna/status/1544673877393129473/photo/1

Who?
    Kemi was discussed last night. Wasn't she recently appointed?
  • Options

The public will want the next PM to be dull but competent. If the Tories deliver that, I think Starmer becomes yesterday’s man.
  • Options

OPatz was a big call. And he fucked it up.

Pincher was a big call. And it ended him.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

(I fairly consistently choose do nothing unless the choice is human versus non-human or no deaths for doing something. One exception was diverting the trolley to save best friend.)

And I was so busy killing them all that I missed the start of the new thread :disappointed:

PS it's getting confusingly like the Tory Party, isn't it?
  • Options
    eek said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

What I picked up was that in non clear cut decisions I prefer to do nothing...
    That is a good strategy. Apart from anything else you would have to account for it in court.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,520

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:
    Have you a compass with you? Triangulation needed for precision. You may need to travel to another view point though, which is a bit much to prove a point for PB, but I have faith in you!
    It is a tiny bit much, for all my loyalty to PB. I am now en route to Lake Skadar!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,838
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

No. Cats are murdering bastards who kill dozens of equally sentient tetrapods. The Lockean calculus is quite clear in this instance.
    Lobsters kill things too. What do you think they do with those claws?
  • Options

boulay said:

Roger said:

"No. So Sioux me...."
    his support is now looking a little apache
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Zahawi made the wrong decision last night, I don't understand how these professional politicians are so bad a politics.

Do you really think we could have had a night without a Chancellor of the Exchequer? What would the markets have done when they opened this morning without a Chancellor?

Someone responsible had to take the position. Let everyone else tell the PM the game is up - other positions you can do without, but someone has to be in the Treasury or the markets would panic.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Only if 'Getting Brexit Done' is
    1. considered to be correct (NI Protocol)
    2. considered to be a good thing.
    Neither of these is likely to be the case.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    Scott_xP said:

Neither was a "call" at all.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Roger said:

"...that Government of Boris Johnson, by Boris Johnson and for Boris Johnson shall not perish from this Earth."
  • Options

Aletha Adu
    @alethaadu
    Michael Gove is out, according to a number of MHCLG sources
    https://twitter.com/alethaadu/status/1544674664550731776

Gove is out? I thought pride was last month, but good for him. 🏳‍🌈
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

No. Boris's epitaph will be that it was amazing that someone like him could last as PM for 2½ years.

It is also possible that he will be remembered as the man who put the Conservative Party on the opposition benches for 10 or 15 years, possibly longer.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224
    TOPPING said:

This critical issue after Boris goes is what are the Cons for.

Take @BigG (I'm leaving out @HYUFD; for obvious reasons he is a le roi est mort kind of guy).

Big G wants Boris gone and even greeted the resignations yesterday as being "dreadful for Starmer", illustrating a deep dislike of Labour. But why? What is the essential attractiveness of the Cons? They are tax cutting raising cutting on a whim and a wing and a prayer with not thought about a strategic direction. They want to have a "high wage economy" but are resisting wage demands. Ukraine? Well just about every party is in agreement. Cost of living? All over the shop. Inflation? No real plan.

What is it that people like Big G like so much about the Cons and what is it about Lab that he dislikes so much. Of course there are the grating Trots in Lab (Rayner, Burgon, etc) but look at Cash, Bone, et al in the Cons.

The Cons don't really have a reason to be anything least of all in government.

Once Boris is gone we need proper CON policies to get inflation under control and sort out the economy.

Sort it out Penny! 👍
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,553
    biggles said:

Downing Street

No snap election

That would be his best hope of keeping the wallpaper and curtains for a while longer.
    No, I think we can all agree it would be cruel and unusual punishment not to allow the “decoration” to be reversed with public funds.
    I don't think the new PM should live in No. 10 (or No. 11) - it's not healthy as a lifestyle. They should be found a grace and favour apartment about 15 minutes away.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Downing Street

No snap election

Send in Carrie with a bottle of wallpaper stripper.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Roger said:

"...that Government of Boris Johnson, by Boris Johnson and for Boris Johnson shall not perish from this Earth."
    Wrong side. That's the winning one.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

boulay said:

Roger said:

"No. So Sioux me...."
    It an 'arrowing experience for him.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

Tis Shelley time

I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Boris, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Quite enjoyed Benjamin Zephaniah on R4 recently about his love of Shelley, particularly The Mask of Anarchy,

Rise like Lions after slumber
    In unvanquishable number--
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you--
    Ye are many -- they are few.

Unfortunately the masses once risen will probably be bellowing for the return of imperial measures and Curly Wurlies.

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

They pinch things with them.

• Options

Excellently put Mark, I agree 100% 👍
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    Claim is that Gove told Johnson he should go before PMQs, so obviously Johnson isn't listening to him.

"Michael Gove, the levelling up secretary, told Boris Johnson this morning while they were preparing for PMQs that he should quit, the Mail’s John Stevens reports."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/jul/06/boris-johnson-rishi-sunak-sajid-javid-resignations-uk-politics-live-latest?page=with:block-62c590258f089dd60ac4e945#block-62c590258f089dd60ac4e945
  • Options

"Getting Brexit Done" was required, for the political system to work again. It spent 2 years completely derailing Westminster.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited July 2022

MaxPB said:

Do you really think we could have had a night without a Chancellor of the Exchequer? What would the markets have done when they opened this morning without a Chancellor?

Someone responsible had to take the position. Let everyone else tell the PM the game is up - other positions you can do without, but someone has to be in the Treasury or the markets would panic.
    Nah - no excuse for Zahawi, in extremis there's always a promotion for Nad or Mogg.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

Yes, but not in Mrs C's garden. And mainly inverts (bit shit for the crabs though).
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

But I can see a long way

Ah, now all bets are off if there are mountains in the background.

Where's the furthest you can see in the UK? There's a few views across the Irish Sea which must be 100 miles. I reckon you can see Northern Ireland from the top of Scafell Pike on a clear day, not that I've ever had a clear day at the top of Scafell Pike. Few such places have restaurants though, even mediocre ones.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    Just taken part in a YouGov Tory members poll.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Chris said:

Meltdown.

Five further ministers have just resigned from the government.

Kemi Badenoch, Neil O'Brien, Alex Burghart, Lee Rowley and Julia Lopez have all resigned in a single letter.

Julia Lopez was a culture minister.

Lee Rowley was a business minister.

Alex Burghart was an education minister.

Neil O'Brien was a levelling up minister.

Kemi Badenoch was a local government minister.

I'm surprised Neil O'Brien didn't resign when Boris unlocked the country - he was a Pagelian Zero Covidian nutter.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Goodness. I've only been away for an hour or two and the Government appears to have gone from tottering to full collapse. That joint resignation letter by five ministers is quite something.

I was half-joking earlier about Johnson having to start filling a load of vacant positions with newly minted lords, but at this rate there won't be much alternative.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Take @BigG (I'm leaving out @HYUFD; for obvious reasons he is a le roi est mort kind of guy).

Big G wants Boris gone and even greeted the resignations yesterday as being "dreadful for Starmer", illustrating a deep dislike of Labour. But why? What is the essential attractiveness of the Cons? They are tax cutting raising cutting on a whim and a wing and a prayer with not thought about a strategic direction. They want to have a "high wage economy" but are resisting wage demands. Ukraine? Well just about every party is in agreement. Cost of living? All over the shop. Inflation? No real plan.

What is it that people like Big G like so much about the Cons and what is it about Lab that he dislikes so much. Of course there are the grating Trots in Lab (Rayner, Burgon, etc) but look at Cash, Bone, et al in the Cons.

Once Boris is gone we need proper CON policies to get inflation under control and sort out the economy.

Sort it out Penny! 👍
    In the current circumstances you can sort out inflation or the economy... Which would you prefer

@MaxPB don't think I'm too wrong saying the above given where we currently are?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,628

MaxPB said:

No, he should have resigned and brought Boris down. Not having a chancellor for a day wouldn't have been the end of the world and I'm sure Raab could have been convinced.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

Will it see publication or will events outpace it?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    At last some good news for Boris Johnson. Liam Fox has withdrawn his support.

But will it be enough to save him? Of course not.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    dixiedean said:

[snip!]
    Penny is pretty though. So that ought to be enough, apparently.

It might work on half the population...
  • Options
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

They pinch things with them.

Very topical ...
  • Options

boulay said:

Roger said:

"No. So Sioux me...."
    It an 'arrowing experience for him.
    Indeed, it is all a bit of a Cheyenne it has come to this.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    Pro_Rata said:

Will it see publication or will events outpace it?
    All about who I would vote for when Shagger quits.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

I got 72, some lobsters and some robots. I killed my best friend because he wouldn't want me to kill five people on his behalf.

I destroyed my life savings (trivial decision, I don't have any worth the name) and shamelessly took the bribe...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,648
    I think these rumours of Boris calling a snap GE are terminal for him.

No Tory MP wants to risk him remaining in office and doing that given current polling.
  • Options
    New: Further Cabinet resignations will follow if Boris Johnson ignores a request by Conservative party grandees to resign, per three people familiar

Gove, Coffey tipped to go if PM won't fall on sword

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/live-blog/2022-07-05/uk-government-resignations?cursorId=62C5939CB21C0000 https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1544681114618535938/photo/1
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Sort it out Penny! 👍
    In the current circumstances you can sort out inflation or the economy... Which would you prefer

@MaxPB don't think I'm too wrong saying the above given where we currently are?
    Rampant inflation destroys people's wealth and their financial confidence, both of which are bad for the economy. The control of inflation must be prioritised.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,778
    edited July 2022
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Once he goes the Tories' problems really start.

What are they for? Who are they for?

How do they reconcile their different constituencies?

And how the hell do they persuade us to trust all these MPs and a new leader and Cabinet who up until recently were telling us to support the PM?

Yes.
    No one else has the sheer chutzpah and bull to keep the coalition together.
    I have one wish. That all those Tory MPs and supporters who cheered Boris on and supported him and inflicted him on us and told off those of us who warned from the start what a useless dangerous and unfit person he was now shut up for a considerable period and reflect on their appalling judgment and try and learn some lessons and not expect to be praised for - finally - doing something that should have been done some time ago by anyone with a shred of decency and intelligence.

We bloody told you so.

We bloody told Labour so about Corbyn too.

Perhaps the political parties could try finding someone with some basic integrity, humility and common-sense for a change instead of these arrogant uncivilised and malicious oafs they keep inflicting on us.
    There was no appalling judgement.

Boris was the right person for the circumstances. We needed someone who could get us out of the quagmire of Article 50 and to get Brexit done. Boris was the only appropriate person to do that.

If Boris is bad, then what does it say about the likes of Corbyn, Grieve, May, Hunt, Starmer and Swinson etc that Boris was the best person leftover for the job?

The good thing about British politics though, unlike American politics, is that our leaders are not Presidents and are not elected dictators. Just as they can be put into power, they can also be removed from it. The circumstances that existed in 2019 that made Boris appropriate are done and dusted, they're no longer there. Boris's advantages have gone, his disadvantages are magnified, and so he's outlasted his welcome.

Its time for him to go. Just because the alternatives in 2019 were worse, doesn't mean that he's good enough for 2022. The circumstances have moved on and he has to go.
  • Options

biggles said:

Downing Street

No snap election

I don't think the new PM should live in No. 10 (or No. 11) - it's not healthy as a lifestyle. They should be found a grace and favour apartment about 15 minutes away.
    Yes, the wallpaper could be put on public display as a reminder to voters as to what happens when you put an incompetent populist and his mistress into power.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

I assumed you could cook the lobsters after they were run over...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,590
    edited July 2022
    The header without this is just being rude to @Sunil_Prasannan

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

And how the hell do they persuade us to trust all these MPs and a new leader and Cabinet who up until recently were telling us to support the PM?

Yes.
    I have one wish. That all those Tory MPs and supporters who cheered Boris on and supported him and inflicted him on us and told off those of us who warned from the start what a useless dangerous and unfit person he was now shut up for a considerable period and reflect on their appalling judgment and try and learn some lessons and not expect to be praised for - finally - doing something that should have been done some time ago by anyone with a shred of decency and intelligence.

We bloody told you so.

Perhaps the political parties could try finding someone with some basic integrity, humility and common-sense for a change instead of these arrogant uncivilised and malicious oafs they keep inflicting on us.
    Alternatively, run the candidates past a pb.com panel.

"No....next....no....next...are you out of your tiny minds?....."
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

But I can see a long way

Where's the furthest you can see in the UK? There's a few views across the Irish Sea which must be 100 miles. I reckon you can see Northern Ireland from the top of Scafell Pike on a clear day, not that I've ever had a clear day at the top of Scafell Pike. Few such places have restaurants though, even mediocre ones.
    On a clear day from the top of Black Combe you can see Blackpool Tower to the south, the Isle of Man to the West and Scotland to the North.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

But I can see a long way

It's just over 90 miles from Snowdon to the Wicklow mountains South of Dublin. I'd think that would be one of the longest views possible (assuming it is possible).
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314
    Scott_xP said:

Totally true, but partygate was wot did it. There is visceral anger about it in the nation at large.

And their first instinct was to LIE to parliament about it.

Counterfactuals are shit because they can't be proved, but imagine a world where the hand went up and Johnson said - this is what happened, it was wrong, I'm sorry, etc. Rather than trying to front it out. Who knows.

But you can't change who you are. He has said that just last week. We were warned. He is a lying shit, out only for himself.

I felt sorry for May - she was an honourable person who perhaps made the wrong choices. i have nothing but contempt for Johnson.

That trolley choice game should have a Johson option.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,344
    Is he seriously going to do the liaison committee? This is going to be fun fun fun!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes.

We bloody told you so.

Boris was the right person for the circumstances. We needed someone who could get us out of the quagmire of Article 50 and to get Brexit done. Boris was the only appropriate person to do that.

If Boris is bad, then what does it say about the likes of Corbyn, Grieve, May, Hunt, Starmer and Swinson etc that Boris was the best person leftover for the job?

The good thing about British politics though, unlike American politics, is that our leaders are not Presidents and are not elected dictators. Just as they can be put into power, they can also be removed from it. The circumstances that existed in 2019 that made Boris appropriate are done and dusted, they're no longer there. Boris's advantages have gone, his disadvantages are magnified, and so he's outlasted his welcome.

Its time for him to go. Just because the alternatives in 2019 were worse, doesn't mean that he's good enough for 2022. The circumstances have moved on and he has to go.
    That's like saving the village by sending an Arc Lite strike of B-52s to hit it.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

"Getting Brexit Done" was required, for the political system to work again. It spent 2 years completely derailing Westminster.
    ... and left us with many moderate and competent Tory MPs being ousted and ministers being chosen for their Brexit views rather than competence.
    Dorries, Braverman etc wouldn't be in any cabinet other than Boris's.
  • Options
    It feels like it is all over for the PM now, one way or another. But it is worth pausing to consider what a dramatic fall from grace it is. In political terms, it is only 5 minutes since he won his party a large majority. It is unprecedented, certainly in modern times.
    https://twitter.com/tombradby/status/1544681661366943744
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I think these rumours of Boris calling a snap GE are terminal for him.

No Tory MP wants to risk him remaining in office and doing that given current polling.

Well quite. He's dowsing the party in petrol and then threatening to strike a match. Badly misjudged doesn't cover the half of it....
  • Options
    Applicant said:

biggles said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

Why take that risk?

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    Chris said:

At last some good news for Boris Johnson. Liam Fox has withdrawn his support.

But will it be enough to save him? Of course not.

In a further boost to the PM, Lee Anderson has called for him to go.

Things improving rapidly for Bozza, as you say.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,912
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

But I can see a long way

I have seen Ireland (Wicklow) from Carnedd Llewellyn in Snowdonia. I believe I've also seen the Cheviots from the Cairngorms (in mid winter), which is over 100 miles. Might even have a photograph of that one.

But apparently the longest possible view in the UK is Snowdon from The Merrick in the Scottish Borders, which is 144 miles. The reverse is apparently not possible as you cannot pick the summit out from the foreground.

Some information here (old fashioned website!)
    http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    Scott_xP said:

I'll give Johnson appointing Kate Bingham as a call he got right...or was that Zahawi? The rest of his COVID performance was a pretty poor show all round.

As for Ukraine, the Ukrainian's are overwhelmed at being love bombed by BigDog. The practical stuff is pretty much on par with everyone else Macron, perhaps Sholtz and Orban being honourable exceptions. The Ukrainian refugees still waiting patiently in Ukraine for the Home Office to provide them with visas to the UK after 3 months, not so much.

Big calls? Right.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

I got 72, some lobsters and some robots. I killed my best friend because he wouldn't want me to kill five people on his behalf.

I destroyed my life savings (trivial decision, I don't have any worth the name) and shamelessly took the bribe...
    Yeah the killing 5 people to save your best friend thing was weird, it was one of only 2 times I think where I disagreed with the majority opinion - the other was killing a litter lout to save a "good citizen". If they had substituted one of my kids for the best friend it would have been different I imagine.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes.

We bloody told you so.

the problem there is, is there anyone really suitable? Remember Boris got rid of a lot of the sane options back in 2019 when he withdraw the whip and then called an election...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Scott_xP said:

It feels like it is all over for the PM now, one way or another. But it is worth pausing to consider what a dramatic fall from grace it is. In political terms, it is only 5 minutes since he won his party a large majority. It is unprecedented, certainly in modern times.

Na, in political terms it’s a lot longer. The saying isn't “X days is not a long time in politics”.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes.

We bloody told you so.

That's like saving the village by sending an Arc Lite strike of B-52s to hit it.
    During times of warfare that might be necessary in extremis, yes.

But once the war is over, you wouldn't continue to do that.

Boris's suitability was like a wartime PM, he helped bring an end to the Brexit civil war, but its over now. Just like his idol Churchill, just because he was a suitable wartime PM does not mean he should remain PM in metaphorical peacetime.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,304

Scott_xP said:

Totally true, but partygate was wot did it. There is visceral anger about it in the nation at large.

Counterfactuals are shit because they can't be proved, but imagine a world where the hand went up and Johnson said - this is what happened, it was wrong, I'm sorry, etc. Rather than trying to front it out. Who knows.

But you can't change who you are. He has said that just last week. We were warned. He is a lying shit, out only for himself.

I felt sorry for May - she was an honourable person who perhaps made the wrong choices. i have nothing but contempt for Johnson.

I really do not detect a lot of visceral anger about partygate apart from in the political fraternity.

I suspect there was a lot of synthetic anger about that.

There is more anger about the cost of living crisis. That is going to doom the whole government not just Boris.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Any sign of the Podium making an appearance in Downing St. yet?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,062

Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

But I can see a long way

It's just over 90 miles from Snowdon to the Wicklow mountains South of Dublin. I'd think that would be one of the longest views possible (assuming it is possible).
    Around 1950 there were trips from Southend pier to look at the coast of France. Just look, we weren't allowed to land!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    One of the big calls is when you recognise the game's up and it's time to leave, and Boris ain't getting that one right.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Applicant said:

biggles said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Pro_Rata said:

biggles said:

eek said:

I killed 54 people ..

52. Anyone below 50?
    79. So there.

Why take that risk?

Also, the grease from the wheels doesn't improve the stock for the bisque the next day when you boil the shells.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Scott_xP said:

He won the Tories their biggest majority since Thatcher in 1987 in 2019 and they will now likely have to wait another 30 years to match it
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140

Scott_xP said:

I'll give Johnson appointing Kate Bingham as a call he got right...
    The Kate Bingham who said we wouldn't want to vaccinate the whole adult population because the risk of side effects was too great?

If that was one of his good calls, I'd hate to consider the bad ones!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Brazenly lying to Westminster about Partygate was the point of no return. There are certain naughty games you can play around the edges, but there has been a convention that coming to the House means you are telling it straight. It may only be a convention, but it is one which has the power to destroy careers. As we are witnessing.

My position this year has been entirely based upon this convention being sacrosanct.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    Johnson in front of liason committee on Sky
  • Options
  • Options
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

dixiedean said:

Cyclefree said:

WPM?

Yes.

We bloody told you so.

ting on us.

the problem there is, is there anyone really suitable? Remember Boris got rid of a lot of the sane options back in 2019 when he withdraw the whip and then called an election...
    The current Tory secret weapon is that there’s practically a whole Cabinet on the back benches, unfamiliar to the public. They can renew if they do it right.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

I really do not detect a lot of visceral anger about partygate apart from in the political fraternity.

I suspect there was a lot of synthetic anger about that.

There is more anger about the cost of living crisis. That is going to doom the whole government not just Boris.
    Odd - I get a lot of anger from people about partygate from non- political people.
This discussion has been closed.