Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer moving back in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited May 2022 in General
imageStarmer moving back in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

This really about whether there will be a change of Prime Minister ahead of the next general election which of course is due to take place in 2024. The greater it seems likely that there will be no change at the top in the Tory Party the greater the chances punters will see of Starmer being the next PM

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,993
    First as SKS will be in 2024
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    Second like the Tories
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Sorry, Keith will never be PM - He's just too boring.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    The Sunak odds get me every time. Will he even rate a footnote in the history of the period?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    GIN1138 said:

Should have been a civil engineer.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708
    GIN1138 said:

John Major says Hi!
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,165
    GIN1138 said:

How did Major beat Kinnock, then?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Seems boring beats windbaggery.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    15 mins into the main news on BBC and it is all cost of living.

• Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

GIN1138 said:

John Major says Hi!
    Boring PMs are usually mid-Parliament replacements and then usually don't go onto win the next election e.g Brown and Callaghan. Major was the exception.

SKS would buck a trend if he became PM, but I wouldn't count him out given the current trend (even 2 years out).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709

GIN1138 said:

John Major says Hi!
    And Attlee
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited May 2022
    Obscure betting post.

Johnson quits in a hissy fit when Sue Gray drops and he is challenged.
    He refuses to stay during a leadership election (goes full FU)
    Tories require a caretaker whilst they sort and needs to be a non runner, loyal to country, party and service prepared to do the job for 2 months and then leave.

Stop forward Theresa May, the next PM

Apols if already suggested whilst I was absent from site till last week.
  • Options
    On the latest polls the punters are correct. Starmer is most likely to be PM after Johnson.

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    RH1992 said:

GIN1138 said:

John Major says Hi!
    Boring PMs are usually mid-Parliament replacements and then usually don't go onto win the next election e.g Brown and Callaghan. Major was the exception.

SKS would buck a trend if he became PM, but I wouldn't count him out given the current trend (even 2 years out).
    Brown wasn't boring. He was dour, and he had a smile that should never be shown before the watershed. But boring? No.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,165
    1945, 1992, and 2017 are all elections were the arguably more boring party leader won out of Labour and the Conservatives.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

Good thing there is no war going on in Europe to distract the media.
  • Options

Someone's bound to complain that the topic's being inflated.
  • Options

Obscure betting post.

Tories require a caretaker whilst they sort and needs to be a non runner, loyal to country, party and service prepared to do the job for 2 months and then leave.

That would be hilarious. I think during the height of the Brexit wrangling under May, when Parliament was taking control here and there, someone even suggested a sort of council of statesman made up of former PMs to try and steady the ship. Not a goer for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    Politically, I favour Mordaunt. Her situation Tory-leader-wise looks good at the moment. Someone is briefing against Truss, and if it's anything like as good as the Sunak takedown, she's a goner. Tugendhat is just a nobody, no idea why he's there. I can't see people going for Hunt, as it would be considered a backward step. That leaves Mordaunt against Wallace, which she will win.

• Options

Obscure betting post.

I see some humorist at BF has put Aaron Bell in list of next PMs after Johnson at 1000/1
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

LOL!
  • Options

Obscure betting post.

Check the market rule before striking a bet like this. It's always good to know whether you're going to lose because
    1. you're wrong about what will happen, or
    2. you misunderstood what's needed to win the bet AND you're wrong about what will happen
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793

Obscure betting post.

Perhaps. Raab is the obvious (and surely first) choice though. He could certainly still run for next Tory leader.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,501
    geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Besides, 1992 Major was remarkably charismatic in person, with a lovely smile. Hard to imagine any politician in this generation being able to hold a crowd with a soapbox and loudhailer.

Starmer's appeal, "I'll make Britain boring again", shouldn't be a winner in normal times.

But these aren't normal times, and aren't likely to get normal soon. Calm and decency to apply the pain a bit more fairly might be enough.
  • Options

Politically, I favour Mordaunt. Her situation Tory-leader-wise looks good at the moment. Someone is briefing against Truss, and if it's anything like as good as the Sunak takedown, she's a goner. Tugendhat is just a nobody, no idea why he's there. I can't see people going for Hunt, as it would be considered a backward step. That leaves Mordaunt against Wallace, which she will win.

I thought you were a Vlad man?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

John Major says Hi!
    And Attlee
    Good point.

We could also add: May, Heath, Callaghan, Douglas-Home and Chamberlain from the past 100 years.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Obscure betting post.

Check the market rule before striking a bet like this. It's always good to know whether you're going to lose because
    1. you're wrong about what will happen, or
    2. you misunderstood what's needed to win the bet AND you're wrong about what will happen
    It's 1 in this case obviously
  • Options

You see no virtue under the hat?

• Options
    Ben Kentish
    @BenKentish
    Iain Duncan Smith sticks the boot into Rishi Sunak. Asked by
    @AndrewMarr9
    about the Chancellor’s claims that IT systems won’t let him ⬆️ benefits, IDS: “It’s not true. I don’t believe a word of it…This is what officials pass you when they think they don’t want to do something.”

https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1526978347607244806

====

Actually, I think Sunak was mainly referring to legacy welfare systems, but perhaps IDS is still correct about officials.
  • Options

1945, 1992, and 2017 are all elections were the arguably more boring party leader won out of Labour and the Conservatives.

I think Miliband is more interesting the Cameron too.
    That's not to say "better". But more interesting. Is there anyone more vanilla and middle of the road than Cameron?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,441
    Don’t let St Bart see the front of the FT “worst bout of stagflation - weak growth alongside high inflation” since the 1970s

🫣
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I thought you were a Vlad man?
    Excellent though that would be, the renovations required to No. 10 to accommodate the size of the furniture would be cost prohibitive.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Omnium said:

Obscure betting post.

Perhaps. Raab is the obvious (and surely first) choice though. He could certainly still run for next Tory leader.
    I'm assuming current cabinet excluded so as not to advantage anyone for leadership or cabinet positions after.
    A proper 'hand on the tiller' caretaker
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Omnium said:

Obscure betting post.

If Johnson really did quit in a hissy fit leaving no PM then Queen would want to appointment caretaker who is not remotely in the running for next leader. Otherwise her choice would be seen as a positive tick against that candidate.

My bet would be William hague, but he doesn't seem to be in BF's list
  • Options
    geoffw said:

There seems to be very little under there.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Reflecting on the almost stabbing earlier.
    Was really impressed with potential stabee. When the girlfriend got between them and gave him the space to get up, he could have done some serious damage. He was eight inches taller, about six stone heavier, twice as fit and 100 times more sober.
    But he didn't. Just kept repeating. "It wasn't me. I didn't do that. You've got the wrong blerk mate. Go home before you regret it."
    Even as stabby bloke threatened him, his family and his mates.
    Not sure I could have been that cool in the circumstances.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Boris and NutNut don’t look themselves on the Metro 🫣

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    edited May 2022
    geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Boris has more than a touch if the windbag about him.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    This is such terrible football
  • Options

Mordaunt has a lot going for her- she can do the showy stuff, her backstory isn't just about about serving herself. But if she becomes a contender, how does she avoid the cocktail of poisonous briefing from Team Big Dog?
  • Options

Ben Kentish
    @BenKentish
    @AndrewMarr9
    about the Chancellor’s claims that IT systems won’t let him ⬆️ benefits, IDS: “It’s not true. I don’t believe a word of it…This is what officials pass you when they think they don’t want to do something.”

====

Actually, I think Sunak was mainly referring to legacy welfare systems, but perhaps IDS is still correct about officials.

It was such obvious bullshit from Sunak though. Benefits are lifted every year due to inflation; £20 pw was easily added to UC for Covid when it suited HMG.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

GIN1138 said:

By being the incumbent.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Omnium said:

Obscure betting post.

If Johnson really did quit in a hissy fit leaving no PM then Queen would want to appointment caretaker who is not remotely in the running for next leader. Otherwise her choice would be seen as a positive tick against that candidate.

She wont put in someone from the Lords. It's got to be May. Knows the job, seems to have a sense of duty. Wouldn't be burdened with any 'shortest serving PM' stigma.
    Hissy BJ = the most hilarious replacement ever.
  • Options

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

John Major says Hi!
    And Attlee
    Good point.

We could also add: May, Heath, Callaghan, Douglas-Home and Chamberlain from the past 100 years.
    Heath was famously socially difficult and uncharasmatic, but I remember Callaghan as a rather good speaker, and quite personable. Wilson in the Seventies was rather dull too.

Maybe everyone was a bit dull then though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nothing like a game involving the Scousers is it?
  • Options

Mordaunt has a lot going for her- she can do the showy stuff, her backstory isn't just about about serving herself. But if she becomes a contender, how does she avoid the cocktail of poisonous briefing from Team Big Dog?
    Hopefully her relative obscurity protects her for a while. And then hopefully she's not got too much to brief about....
  • Options
    Leon said:

You're watching a game where a Scottish team are involved. If you're still watching, it's self-abuse and you have no sympathy.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Obscure betting post.

She wont put in someone from the Lords. It's got to be May. Knows the job, seems to have a sense of duty. Wouldn't be burdened with any 'shortest serving PM' stigma.
    She should then call a snap election during caretake premiership - she'd probably win it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Perhaps you don't go to many matches, a great number are like this in the English League.

Football is a lot like British weather. Most of the time it is poor, but you live in hope of an unexpected glorious day.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Obscure betting post.

She should then call a snap election during caretake premiership - she'd probably win it.
    Thanks your majesty, I'm off walking this weekend!
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak has been so brilliantly taken down by Team Bozza that I propose a new PB verb: “to be Sunacked” - ie, to be comprehensively and ruthlessly knocked out of a political race by your supposed party allies

Eg “I hear that Dick Pasty, of Mebyon Kernow, is about to be Sunacked by Star E Gazeypie, for putting the cream on his scone FIRST”
  • Options
    Farooq said:

That's not to say "better". But more interesting. Is there anyone more vanilla and middle of the road than Cameron?
    Always thought that an odd expression. I mean, people like vanilla after all.
  • Options
    Update on the DALL·E 2 waitlist: We'll be onboarding up to 1,000 people every week as we continue to enhance our safety systems.

https://twitter.com/OpenAI/status/1527021498468167681

@Leon
  • Options
    Leon said:

Rishi Sunak has been so brilliantly taken down by Team Bozza that I propose a new PB verb: “to be Sunacked” - ie, to be comprehensively and ruthlessly knocked out of a political race by your supposed party allies

Eg “I hear that Dick Pasty, of Mebyon Kernow, is about to be Sunacked by Star E Gazeypie, for putting the cream on his scone FIRST”

Yes. Sooooo sunakered he was properly rished off in front our eyes. Unbelievable
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

People liked Cameron too.

Vanilla is the default and somewhat boring choice, not the exotic or interesting one - but more people go for vanilla.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Perhaps you don't go to many matches, a great number are like this in the English League.

Football is a lot like British weather. Most of the time it is poor, but you live in hope of an unexpected glorious day.
    I’ve watched a fair number of EPL games this season. I admit that most halve involved the top 6 teams, but still

They exhibit a different level of skill

And UCL is equivalently superior to UEL
  • Options

Omnium said:

Obscure betting post.

Thanks your majesty, I'm off walking this weekend!
    Hikegate inquiry incoming!
  • Options

geoffw said:

There seems to be very little under there.
    Auf Deutsch mein Freund!

• Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Great final effort to be fair. If that had gone in it would have made up for the previous 120 minutes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Vanilla is the default and somewhat boring choice, not the exotic or interesting one - but more people go for vanilla.
    Cameron was vanilla
    Miliband was bacon and peanut butter

Which of those two milkshakes would you choose?
  • Options
    Great goalkeeping by EF.

Lets see how he does at penalties.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Yep
    That's why swingers use it as a term.
    "SSH! There are vanillas in the midst."
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Cameron was vanilla

I suspect bacon and peanut butter would work surprisingly well as a milkshake.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Yep
    "SSH! There are vanillas in our midst."
    I take your word for it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

When people ask "if Johnson can't be that stupid or lazy, or he wouldn't have got to the Premiership", this is why.

There are very very many things about BoJo that make him unsuitable. But when it comes to the gathering and deployment of raw human power, the man is a genius. Some sort of political savant, if you like.
  • Options

Leon said:

When people ask "if Johnson can't be that stupid or lazy, or he wouldn't have got to the Premiership", this is why.

There are very very many things about BoJo that make him unsuitable. But when it comes to the gathering and deployment of raw human power, the man is a genius. Some sort of political savant, if you like.
    Yes, he is brutally effective at pursuing his own power. He really isnt bothered about anything else, except how it can benefit him.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Don’t let St Bart see the front of the FT “worst bout of stagflation - weak growth alongside high inflation” since the 1970s

🫣

Just read an article pointing out that *real* interest rates are at -8% for the first time ever so expect asset price hyperinflation contrary to Bart's hopes
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Yep
    "SSH! There are vanillas in our midst."
    I take your word for it.
    Word.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Leon said:

Yes Boris has thwarted his rivals pretty comprehensively in the Tory party, hit Starmer with beergate and will lead the Conservatives into the next general election
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Cameron was vanilla

I suspect bacon and peanut butter would work surprisingly well as a milkshake.
    Me too. But 9 times out of ten I wouldn't pick it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's more about what Boris has done then Sunak himself though isn't it? I'd call it being 'dog-rolled' - rolled over by team big dog. Leaves you smelling like you rolled in something dentrifying. Repels supporters, voters and bettors.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

🫣

Just read an article pointing out that *real* interest rates are at -8% for the first time ever so expect asset price hyperinflation contrary to Bart's hopes
    FT also saying our inflation situation worst in G7.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869

Yes, he knows what to say to any given audience at any given time and isn't bothered by the contradictions this creates.

The problem is the centralisation of power he has initiated will be very difficult to remove - I'd like to think the next non-Conservative Government would make pledges to restore the power of parliament and weaken the Executive but I'm not optimistic and when opposition Conservatives complain about the centralisation of power the response will simply be it's a situation you created.

That's how it often is with democracy - easy to knock bricks out of the wall, hard to put them back.
  • Options
    I feel tense watching penalties when I REALLY don’t give much of a fuck who wins

They are a superb and terrible invention
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

Ben Kentish
    @BenKentish
    @AndrewMarr9

====

IDS claimed benefits for a period when out of work and I exphas a greater understanding of those who rely on them when in personal difficulties than the ex Goldman Sachs, son in law of a billionaire Rishi
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,123
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

John Major says Hi!
    And Attlee
    Good point.

Heath was famously socially difficult and uncharasmatic, but I remember Callaghan as a rather good speaker, and quite personable. Wilson in the Seventies was rather dull too.

Maybe everyone was a bit dull then though.
    Men who had fought in WW2 probably felt they had had enough excitement already.
    I met Callaghan long after he was PM, and he certainly had a twinkle in his eye, even in his dotage. A very charming man.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Deleted. Double post again
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    edited May 2022
    As a dog returneth to its own vomit (Proverbs 26.11) so is 45 urging Dr Oz to declare "victory" in Pennsylvania. BEFORE over 20k Republican Primary ballots (mostly postal) are processed, verified and counted. AND re-counted as per state law.

EDIT - Oz now leading McCormick by +1,700 votes out of 1.3m counted so far
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes, he knows what to say to any given audience at any given time and isn't bothered by the contradictions this creates.

The problem is the centralisation of power he has initiated will be very difficult to remove - I'd like to think the next non-Conservative Government would make pledges to restore the power of parliament and weaken the Executive but I'm not optimistic and when opposition Conservatives complain about the centralisation of power the response will simply be it's a situation you created.

That's how it often is with democracy - easy to knock bricks out of the wall, hard to put them back.
    Because in Blair's 'sofa' government power wasn't centralised at all was it?

People have been complaining about the centralisation of power (and pledging to reverse it but not doing so) for as long as I've been following politics.
  • Options
    Still don't like penalties.
  • Options
    i don't see how not blocking junk food adverts makes any difference to cost of living.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Are there any plans amongst the western allies to send Boris to Saudi Arabia again? A few barrels of oil a day extra right now would be extremely useful.

We should be pointing out the terrible food position to them at every opportunity. How can chaos in Egypt and perhaps elsewhere in the middle east be in their interest.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ben Kentish
    @BenKentish
    @AndrewMarr9

====

IDS claimed benefits for a period when out of work and I exphas a greater understanding of those who rely on them when in personal difficulties than the ex Goldman Sachs, son in law of a billionaire Rishi
    Then married a millionaire. What's the odds that'll be the next advice?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That is Kenneth Branagh, playing Boris in new drama This England
    Ha ha. You've a wicked sense of humour lurking when you go off message.
    Chapeau.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,235
    HYUFD said:

Ben Kentish
    @BenKentish
    @AndrewMarr9

====

Away with your IDS man of the people. He really isn't.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310

Leon said:

That's why there should be a reassessment of the real genius behind the Brexit referendum. That Dom is reduced to making incomprehensible tweets peppered with trolley icons suggests that his intellect was overstated and it was all Boris's baby.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Looks incredible. Can that really be Kenneth?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Is it me or penalties have got much better the last few years? About 6 or 7 of those were incredible.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

Incredible stuff. He does look pretty convincing, more so than in the brief trailer :)
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,224
    Before he came to power, there was a lot of talk about Boris Johnson’s weakness being his lack of friends in the party. Still his weakness, or a strength?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    We should find words other than "incredible".
  • Options

As a dog returneth to its own vomit (Proverbs 26.11) so is 45 urging Dr Oz to declare "victory" in Pennsylvania. BEFORE over 20k Republican Primary ballots (mostly postal) are processed, verified and counted. AND re-counted as per state law.

Surprisingly consistent of him.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Are there any plans amongst the western allies to send Boris to Saudi Arabia again? A few barrels of oil a day extra right now would be extremely useful.

We should be pointing out the terrible food position to them at every opportunity. How can chaos in Egypt and perhaps elsewhere in the middle east be in their interest.

According to something posted here today, OPEC are saying there's no more refinery space so it wouldn't make any difference pumping out more crude oil. I don't know what goes into building a refinery, so I don't know whether we should be asking them to build more, or building them ourselves. Better to invest in more North Sea oil if that's possible.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

We should find words other than "incredible".

Do they need to mean something similar to "incredible", or will anything do?
    I quite like "magniloquently"
This discussion has been closed.