Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What’s this doing to Johnson’s survival chances? – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

New thread? Not seeing it on here.

You won't - this comment thread is from 2 headers ago! We are in a catch-22 that you can only start a new comment thread from the main site. And that is borked.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,463
    kle4 said:

He is allowed to say no. I highly doubt he has restricted himself to only admiring people he has personally met.
    Marx and Lenin, for example.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,463
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Corbyn is an utter numpty and apparently entirely ignorant of history, too.
    (Guardian)
    ...I would want to see a world where we start to ultimately disband all military alliances. The issue has to be what’s the best way of bringing about peace in the future? Is it by more alliances? Is it by more military build up?
    Or is it by stopping the war in Ukraine and the other wars ...
    And ask yourself the question, do military alliances bring peace? Or do they actually encourage each other and build up to a greater danger? I don’t blame Nato for the fact that Russia has invaded Ukraine. What I say is look at the thing historically, and look at the process that could happen at the end of the Ukraine war...

My issue with this stuff, even as someone who thinks cynics take realpolitik too far, is that it is someone thinking they are so profound and moral, when the message is no more than chanting 'give peace a chance' as if that is all that matters.
    Give War A Chance.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

(Guardian)
    ...I would want to see a world where we start to ultimately disband all military alliances. The issue has to be what’s the best way of bringing about peace in the future? Is it by more alliances? Is it by more military build up?
    And ask yourself the question, do military alliances bring peace? Or do they actually encourage each other and build up to a greater danger? I don’t blame Nato for the fact that Russia has invaded Ukraine. What I say is look at the thing historically, and look at the process that could happen at the end of the Ukraine war...

My issue with this stuff, even as someone who thinks cynics take realpolitik too far, is that it is someone thinking they are so profound and moral, when the message is no more than chanting 'give peace a chance' as if that is all that matters.
    Lots of reasons why Corbyn is crap, and he will continue to provide more on a regular basis. They should occasionally be brought up to prevent Labour slipping that way again, but time to accept the opposition is Starmer not Corbyn.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    IshmaelZ said:

Perhaps notice could be posted on Vanilla PB, saying that the real deal can still be accessed via vf.politicalbetting.com

It's a sort of crude Darwinian filter: if you can navigate to here unaided you deserve a hearing
    I can, but I don't.
  • Options
    Re the conservative mps point of order looks like Dan Hodges has tweeted about it

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1516751613901385732?t=yRDm_atjknsd2vHhCz5Zlw&s=19
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

(Guardian)

Lots of reasons why Corbyn is crap, and he will continue to provide more on a regular basis. They should occasionally be brought up to prevent Labour slipping that way again, but time to accept the opposition is Starmer not Corbyn.
    And thank heavens for that. People can point to Starmer working under Corbyn, but the last few years show that he is not Corbyn redux.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    kle4 said:

He is allowed to say no. I highly doubt he has restricted himself to only admiring people he has personally met.
    Indeed. Not even Jeremy has met all the world's terrorists for a start.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    mwadams said:

You won't - this comment thread is from 2 headers ago! We are in a catch-22 that you can only start a new comment thread from the main site. And that is borked.
    Thanks! Just emailed RCS to let him know situation, though reckon he likely knows AND is working the problem, whatever the heck it is.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    kle4 said:

Oh, indeed he's allowed to say no. I suspect the truthful answer is no.

But he didn't.

And I'd think better of him if he had. It's a bit like the thing when he was leader he was asked if (IIRC) he ever watched the Queen's Christmas message (or something like that). Rather than give the truthful answer of no - which would have made approximately nobody think any worse of him as him being a republican was very much priced in - he dodged the question.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    mwadams said:

We shall, of course, be greeting each new header with a shout of OLD THREAD (again) and someone randomly commenting FIRST.
  • Options

Re the conservative mps point of order looks like Dan Hodges has tweeted about it

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1516751613901385732?t=yRDm_atjknsd2vHhCz5Zlw&s=19

As a strategy think "Starmer's just as bad as Boris!" is NOT what you'd call a silver bullet.

More like a stale dinner roll like those tossed about at Bullingtonian get-to-gethers?
  • Options

The Tories have decided that the front page lead on the Torygraph can be utterly discarded. Their reporters are liars and anyone who reports what they report is misleading the house.

"It never happened, what an outrageous slur" vs "BBC More Critical Than Putin - PM"
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The Tories have decided that the front page lead on the Torygraph can be utterly discarded. Their reporters are liars and anyone who reports what they report is misleading the house.

"It never happened, what an outrageous slur" vs "BBC More Critical Than Putin - PM"
    I think you have made the same mistake than I did: the claim is BBC More Critical [of Rwanda deal] Than [of] Putin not BBC More Critical [of Rwanda deal] Than Putin [is]
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,038
    edited April 2022
    mwadams said:

Can I suggest we hold off any further new threads before we get umpteen empty ones? Wait until Vanilla resolve the issue.

On topic I think a 10%+ Labour poll lead and NEV local elections lead is key. Less than that and Boris likely survives, more than that and his position is very difficult regardless of what happens in Wakefield
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155

As a strategy think "Starmer's just as bad as Boris!" is NOT what you'd call a silver bullet.

More like a stale dinner roll like those tossed about at Bullingtonian get-to-gethers?
    I turned down an invitation to join because they frequented restaurants that served stale rolls
  • Options
    ABC.net.au - Scott Morrison pushes back on claims the government bungled security relationship with Solomon Islands

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-20/solomon-islands-china-pact-failure-foreign-policy-labor/101000878

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has rejected accusations that the Coalition has bungled a key security relationship, after Solomon Islands shrugged off warnings from Australia and signed a new pact with China.

The controversial deal has been the subject of significant debate in recent weeks, amid fears it could allow China to establish a military presence in the South Pacific.

Labor has called the handling of the issue the greatest Australian foreign policy blunder in the Pacific since World War II, and questioned why the government sent Pacific Minister Zed Seselja instead of Foreign Minister Marise Payne to Honiara after a draft of the pact leaked.

Senator Seselja was sent to Solomon Islands last week in a last-ditch effort to convince the government in Honiara to walk away from the deal, a trip now shown to have been fruitless.

Shadow Foreign Minister Penny Wong said Mr Morrison had ignored warnings about the deal last year, and should have personally intervened to ensure it was never signed. . . .
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    Evening all :)

It seems the Conservative faithful are starting to counter-attack against Starmer - to be fair, Johnson looked like a man who thought he was going for a nice country walk only to end up getting mugged in a meadow.

I mentioned Slovenia last evening - they vote on Sunday and we've two new polls to consider.

Parsifal, which polls for Nova24TV, a news station owned by a supporter of Jansa's SDS Government, has a tightening struggle between said SDS and Robert Golob's Svoboda.

For those who don't follow Slovenian politics and elections, there are 90 seats in the National Assembly - with one each reserved for the Italian and Hungarian minorities, the other 88 are chosen in eight 11-seat constituencies using STV but with a threshold of 4% to get any representation.

Parsifal has SDS on 29.2% (+4.3% on last election) with Svoboda on 28.4%.
    The Social Democrats are on 7.4% (-2.5%), New Slovenia-Christian Democrats are on 6.6% (-0.6%) Let's Connect Slovenia (PoS) are on 5.0% (-8.8%) and List of Marjan Sarec (LMS) are on 5.0% (-7.6%).

So a big polarisation around the two main blocs who now have 57.6% of the vote. The parties supporting the SDS Government are now on 42.1% compared with 50.2% at the last election.

Ninamedia, which is more to the left as a pollster, reports Svoboda on 27.7% and SDS on 26.1%. The Left Party which wouldn't even get into the National Assembly with Parsifal as they are polling 3.6% is third with Ninamedia on 9.1% in front of the Social Democrats on 8.9% and New Slovenia-Christian Democrats on 7.6%. List Marjan Sarec crawls into the National Assembly with 4.1%.

You pays your money and the voters choose on Sunday - the question is whether Golob can work with other centre and centre-left parties to forge an alternative Government coalition.

As for France, the big debate is imminent - Macron continues to edge further ahead in the daily tracking polls.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I turned down an invitation to join because they frequented restaurants that served stale rolls
    Although a stale roll can be a lethal weapon in the right hands.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Hands trained via the Eton Wall Game?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

As Ernie the Fastest Milkman in the West discovered...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,327
    IshmaelZ said:

Perhaps notice could be posted on Vanilla PB, saying that the real deal can still be accessed via vf.politicalbetting.com

It's a sort of crude Darwinian filter: if you can navigate to here unaided you deserve a hearing
    Or, you might have the tab permanently opened in your browser.

I hear tales of people with dozens of tabs permanently open in their browsers, on computers that are perennially put to sleep, rather than shut down gracefully. Naturally I give little credence to these wild tales, as it would be maltreatment of a computer too ghastly to contemplate, but one never can be completely sure.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I hear tales of people with dozens of tabs permanently open in their browsers, on computers that are perennially put to sleep, rather than shut down gracefully. Naturally I give little credence to these wild tales, as it would be maltreatment of a computer too ghastly to contemplate, but one never can be completely sure.
    True enough, but in this case NOT. As per RCS it's issue with Vanilla.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,436

IshmaelZ said:

Windows 10 Shutdown is really only hibernation. You have to choose Restart to actually shut down and reboot the machine. Microsoft no doubt has its reasons.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,047

IshmaelZ said:

Dozens of tabs? Hundreds, please. ;)

There are deep and dark tales of BBC B computers (of early 1980s vintage) still in regular use, and never turned off. I know of a 1998-vintage computer that is only switched off when the power fails, and works perfectly at its job (monitoring process queues).

BTW, when it comes to Windows, I'm becoming firmly of the view that the best price/performance deal you can get is memory. Rather than spend money on a slightly better processor or graphics card, spend it on going from 8GB to 16GB, or 16GB to 32GB. It makes all the difference.

(And this is from someone who was amazed when he first go this hands on a computer with 1MB of shared memory. And before that, from 32K to 128K)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,268
    Interesting - from John McDonnell...

"This year, Momentum is once again holding a democratic policy primary to decide which issues to champion at the annual Labour Party conference. As with last year, there are many important policies vying for support – from public ownership to a humane asylum policy. But, more than ever, I believe none is more strategically crucial than Labour committing to introduce proportional representation (PR) for general elections."

https://labourlist.org/2022/04/lets-finish-what-we-started-last-autumn-and-ensure-the-labour-party-backs-pr/
  • Options
    Huge political news this evening - Labour are delivering leaflets in East Ham.

Probably not that huge in all honesty - it's a decent A3 product, plenty of quality and easy on the eye. Tailored to each Ward, it has the Mayor plus the three local candidates.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,024
    We hear more about East Ham and Leicester on this forum than every other locale in Britain combined.
  • Options

We hear more about East Ham and Leicester on this forum than every other locale in Britain combined.

I tried getting people interested in my village of Wye but I kept getting off topic’d.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

It seems the Conservative faithful are starting to counter-attack against Starmer - to be fair, Johnson looked like a man who thought he was going for a nice country walk only to end up getting mugged in a meadow.

I mentioned Slovenia last evening - they vote on Sunday and we've two new polls to consider.

Parsifal, which polls for Nova24TV, a news station owned by a supporter of Jansa's SDS Government, has a tightening struggle between said SDS and Robert Golob's Svoboda.

For those who don't follow Slovenian politics and elections, there are 90 seats in the National Assembly - with one each reserved for the Italian and Hungarian minorities, the other 88 are chosen in eight 11-seat constituencies using STV but with a threshold of 4% to get any representation.

Parsifal has SDS on 29.2% (+4.3% on last election) with Svoboda on 28.4%.
    The Social Democrats are on 7.4% (-2.5%), New Slovenia-Christian Democrats are on 6.6% (-0.6%) Let's Connect Slovenia (PoS) are on 5.0% (-8.8%) and List of Marjan Sarec (LMS) are on 5.0% (-7.6%).

So a big polarisation around the two main blocs who now have 57.6% of the vote. The parties supporting the SDS Government are now on 42.1% compared with 50.2% at the last election.

Ninamedia, which is more to the left as a pollster, reports Svoboda on 27.7% and SDS on 26.1%. The Left Party which wouldn't even get into the National Assembly with Parsifal as they are polling 3.6% is third with Ninamedia on 9.1% in front of the Social Democrats on 8.9% and New Slovenia-Christian Democrats on 7.6%. List Marjan Sarec crawls into the National Assembly with 4.1%.

You pays your money and the voters choose on Sunday - the question is whether Golob can work with other centre and centre-left parties to forge an alternative Government coalition.

As for France, the big debate is imminent - Macron continues to edge further ahead in the daily tracking polls.

Most overhyped contest ever. There was only ever going to be one winner.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,024
    DougSeal said:

I tried getting people interested in my village of Wye but I kept getting off topic’d.
    😂 Wye, Kent? I spent an idyllic weekend there once. Gorgeous place.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Has Boris managed to take down PB?

The Herd has munched up the entire meadow.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Interesting - from John McDonnell...

"This year, Momentum is once again holding a democratic policy primary to decide which issues to champion at the annual Labour Party conference. As with last year, there are many important policies vying for support – from public ownership to a humane asylum policy. But, more than ever, I believe none is more strategically crucial than Labour committing to introduce proportional representation (PR) for general elections."

https://labourlist.org/2022/04/lets-finish-what-we-started-last-autumn-and-ensure-the-labour-party-backs-pr/

John reads PB?
  • Options
    Personally keen on eye-witness electoral intelligence from anywhere. Most esp. West Bromwich East AND West. Ditto from Upper Down

Also from West Wokeshire, Turdlea-in-Loo and Eastward Ho!

BTW, is there by any chance a car lot, repair or body shop, called "Wrekin Autos"?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

I don't know Wye.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,665

DougSeal said:

In other gorgeous Kent news our Vineyard in the Pett Bottom valley was planted today. Very exciting so long as the forecast frosts in early May give us a miss.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Wye, Kent? Why not?!
  • Options

Leicester winning away 😀
  • Options
    TimS said:

DougSeal said:

In other gorgeous Kent news our Vineyard in the Pett Bottom valley was planted today. Very exciting so long as the forecast frosts in early May give us a miss.
    Can you insulate the vines in any reasonably-economic way?

For what it's worth, story in Seattle paper a few days ago re: cooler than normal temps causing problems for some fruit growers in Eastern WA.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    DougSeal said:

Used to have a racecourse but closed in the 1970s. Famously sharp track and described as the horse racing equivalent of the "wall of death" by one jockey.

Very sad, with both Wye and Folkestone gone, no racecourse left in Kent apart from some point-to-point circuits such as Penshurst and Charing.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    geoffw said:
    I can't believe they're doing it in French. That's so inconvenient for British punters.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336

Personally keen on eye-witness electoral intelligence from anywhere. Most esp. West Bromwich East AND West. Ditto from Upper Down

BTW, is there by any chance a car lot, repair or body shop, called "Wrekin Autos"?

Here's some Grade A eyewitness political intelligence. I saw SKS this evening. Visiting someone in London.

I'll take three guesses before I reveal all.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:
    I can't believe they're doing it in French. That's so inconvenient for British punters.
    Yeah, why don't they use the lingua franca?

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,339
    edited April 2022
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:
    English stream here
    https://www.france24.com/en/france/20220420-live-macron-and-le-pen-face-off-in-debate-ahead-of-french-presidential-run-off
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:
    Thats just like the French. They have a different word for everything.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

It would be amusing if one of them dropped an englishism in the debate and that was a big scandal.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,217
    TOPPING said:

Here's some Grade A eyewitness political intelligence. I saw SKS this evening. Visiting someone in London.

The Queen ?
  • Options
    70 Ukrainian refugees are expected to be housed in the Millstreet Arena in Cork tonight, reports RTE.

Hard not to see this as a consequence of Britain's refusal to match other European countries in dropping the requirement for a visa. If Britain was taking as many refugees as Ireland relative to the size of our population we would be providing refuge to 325,000 refugees. It isn't just about not doing our fair share, it's also now about forcing refugees to endure inadequate housing in other European countries that are struggling to cope.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:
    They don't really, they just pretend to to annoy the outside world. In private they communicate with one another in evvily accenteed Eeengleesh, with frequent 'ow you say references to zee leetle grey cells.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

It would be amusing if one of them dropped an englishism in the debate and that was a big scandal.
    It's well known there's no word in French for entrepreneur.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Mr Ed Cooper.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

THERE ISN'T! Entrepreneur means small-time subcontractor. Pretty much the opposite of entrepreneur.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,339
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:
    English stream here

70 Ukrainian refugees are expected to be housed in the Millstreet Arena in Cork tonight, reports RTE.

Hard not to see this as a consequence of Britain's refusal to match other European countries in dropping the requirement for a visa. If Britain was taking as many refugees as Ireland relative to the size of our population we would be providing refuge to 325,000 refugees. It isn't just about not doing our fair share, it's also now about forcing refugees to endure inadequate housing in other European countries that are struggling to cope.

This is, from A to Z, bollocks
  • Options
    Hmmm... not impressed by either of them so far.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:
    They don't really, they just pretend to to annoy the outside world. In private they communicate with one another in evvily accenteed Eeengleesh, with frequent 'ow you say references to zee leetle grey cells.
    That's the Belgians.
  • Options
    Taz said:

TOPPING said:

The Queen ?
    His mum (assuming she & HM are NOT same person)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

THERE ISN'T! Entrepreneur means small-time subcontractor. Pretty much the opposite of entrepreneur.
    Fondateur is a pretty good match.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845

Dont talk bollocks, population of a country is irrelevant its empty homes for refugees to be housed in that matter

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/feb/23/europe-11m-empty-properties-enough-house-homeless-continent-twice
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:
    That's the Belgians.
    You theenk that, but in the library after dinnaire...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,268
    Wait for Sue Grey amendment...

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    9m
    Here it is: a Tory amendment which means yet another probe into Boris Johnson’s behaviour is all but certain

No10 wouldn’t have wanted this - and with a 80 strong majority would have hoped to head this off initially

Doesn’t appear a sign of strength…

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1516855211851198467
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    "The wage earner dividend"
    Macron's new concept in capitalism - whenever dividends are paid a bonus is paid to workers
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

I'd be disappointed if you thought otherwise. But you're wrong, of course. It's the direct and callous result of HMG's policy.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336

Taz said:

TOPPING said:

The Queen ?
    His mum (assuming she & HM are NOT same person)
    I'll take that as the third guess.

Given that he's been attacking one PM who he says lied to parliament it is only fitting that he should go and see another (ex-)PM accused of the same thing.

None other than Mr T Blair.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

You should tell Dubya.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

It's not great either, Henry VI was the fondateur of ghastly Eton, but didn't build the business up from nothing... I just hate points which are both snidey, and wrong. There's a bit in David Niven about someone making a fool of himself by saying "The Merchant [of Venice] is a rubbish role, you want to go for Shylock," but that's nonsense; the merchant is Antonio, not Shylock.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

It's not great either, Henry VI was the fondateur of ghastly Eton, but didn't build the business up from nothing... I just hate points which are both snidey, and wrong. There's a bit in David Niven about someone making a fool of himself by saying "The Merchant [of Venice] is a rubbish role, you want to go for Shylock," but that's nonsense; the merchant is Antonio, not Shylock.
    Sounds to me that David Niven was making a fool of himself, the way you put it.

• Options
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

You should tell Dubya.
    Sure, but you are the one peddling the lazy joke because you don't know French any better than Dubya does.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

That would seem to me to make sense. 'The role of the Merchant (Antonio) is rubbish, see if you can get the role of Shylock instead.'

Or is there some context I'm missing?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Sounds to me that David Niven was making a fool of himself, the way you put it.
    That was my point...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

You should tell Dubya.
    Sure, but you are the one peddling the lazy joke because you don't know French any better than Dubya does.
    You might be surprised.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,084
    Macron is trying to make Le Pen look like a slow student.

• Options
    This far in the debate we can see it'll be no game changer for Mme Le Pen.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

You should tell Dubya.
    You might be surprised.

Well plainly not, because you only have to drive around France for 10 minutes to see white van man electricians and plumbers and so on advertising themselves as entrepreneurs on their vans. Are you saying that you knew all along that Bush's point was absolutely right? If so, what point were you making?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

Leon said:

I'd be disappointed if you thought otherwise. But you're wrong, of course. It's the direct and callous result of HMG's policy.
    How many have the U.K. taken? I’ve not seen up to date numbers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,084
    Macron seems to be trying to slow down his speech compared to the way he normally speaks to sound more presidential.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

That would seem to me to make sense. 'The role of the Merchant (Antonio) is rubbish, see if you can get the role of Shylock instead.'

Niven was presenting this, as someone making an utter arse of themselves, presumably because Niven mistakenly thought that Merchant = Shylock.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

geoffw said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Niven was presenting this, as someone making an utter arse of themselves, presumably because Niven mistakenly thought that Merchant = Shylock.
    Oh I see,you were criticising Niven. That makes sense now.
  • Options
    20/20 - Since his debut campaign in the Premier League in 2017-18, Harvey Barnes is one of only six English players to have recorded 20+ goals and 20+ assists in the competition - three of the six are Leicester players (Barnes, Vardy, Maddison). Lions.

https://t.co/9nas3F1QBF
  • Options
    There is a new thread and it's taking comments!

Or possibly an old thread that's finally started to take comments...
  • Options
    LePen says she's against against a ban on imports of oil and gas from Russia. It will throw Russia into the arms of China.

Doesn't seem to care much about Ukraine.
  • Options

Wait for Sue Grey amendment...

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    9m
    Here it is: a Tory amendment which means yet another probe into Boris Johnson’s behaviour is all but certain

No10 wouldn’t have wanted this - and with a 80 strong majority would have hoped to head this off initially

Doesn’t appear a sign of strength…

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1516855211851198467

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just pass a resolution saying 'The Prime Minister is very sorry for any future mistakes, and is dedicated to serving the British public as a result'?
  • Options

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Can you insulate the vines in any reasonably-economic way?

For what it's worth, story in Seattle paper a few days ago re: cooler than normal temps causing problems for some fruit growers in Eastern WA.
    Kent, formerly known for its hops, is all about the sparkling wine these days.
  • Options
    Niven presents it as Sam Goldwyn advising Edward G Robinson, and finishes the anecdote by saying I don't think even Goldwyn was that ignorant

Spookily the only place I can find this on the internet is in the French translation of Niven. Dunno if this link will work

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/David_Niven_Mémoires/LmA7EAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=david+niven+shylock&pg=PT560&printsec=frontcover
  • Options

Leon said:

How many have the U.K. taken? I’ve not seen up to date numbers.
    The latest data from HMG is now fairly old, published on 14th April, and is:
    Visa Applications: 94,700
    Visa's Issued: 56,500
    Arrivals To UK: 16,400

The differences between the different numbers are indicative of the delays that result from the policy, and the difficulties they create for the refugees concerned.
  • Options
    stodge said:

DougSeal said:

Used to have a racecourse but closed in the 1970s. Famously sharp track and described as the horse racing equivalent of the "wall of death" by one jockey.

Very sad, with both Wye and Folkestone gone, no racecourse left in Kent apart from some point-to-point circuits such as Penshurst and Charing.
    The old racecourse is almost opposite my house. Closed the year I was born.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,436
    New thread open for business (no, really)
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    geoffw said:

This far in the debate we can see it'll be no game changer for Mme Le Pen.

She doesn't seem very confident.
  • Options

New thread open for business (no, really)

NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Australia Federal Election 2022

Antony Green's election calculator
    The Federal election calculator is loaded with the pre-election margins for all seats. Enter a national swing, select state by state swings, or choose one of the stored opinion polls, to see the result that could be produced by the chosen swing. You can also make individual winner selections in seats with strong independent and minor party candidates.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/federal/2022/guide/calculator

Check it out!
This discussion has been closed.