Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What’s this doing to Johnson’s survival chances? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

Omnium said:

I spoke to a German security consultant this morning. He is hawkish and rightly scathing of the SDP.

He did note tho that Germany has accepted 350,000 Ukrainian refugees.

How many has the UK accepted?

For shame, Britain. For shame.

Germany is much closer (geographically) to Ukraine than we are. Many more refugees will be seeking German assistance than British help.

Additionally the EU couldn't even think about trying to maintain their borders. We clearly can, and it's right to do so.
    Ireland has received over 20,000.
    I think the UK is still in low 4 figures.

So you’re geography argument doesn’t hold up much, and morally let’s just say I disagree vigorously that it is “right” not to accept them.
    12,000 by 21st March, so no, not in low 4 figures. Don’t know the latest figures, but will surely be higher.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

I don’t think the Tories are sleepwalking to defeat. I think most of them know full well.

The problem is it requires not just awareness but a backbone.

Off topic

Well they are milking the system for all it's worth while they can.

Hayden Wood, CEO of failed energy provider Bulb is still collecting his £250,00 annual salary at taxpayers' expense.

Luvvly jubbly!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    Scott_xP said:

Wow! Jacob Rees-Mogg has just told ⁦@AndrewMarr9⁩ to “get a sense of perspective” about his father’s funeral on the week of one of the No 10 lockdown parties. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-tells-andrew-26748772

Doesn't he know there's a war on ?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Nigelb said:

Cicero - thanks again for your worthwhile remarks. Could the west be supplying more weapons? Definitely. The Germans need to get in line with their public opinion. France seems a bit passive. We could ALL do more (well maybe not Estonia). I wouldn't be panicking though. Russia could make a breakthrough in Donbass but it will come at a cost. A new assault on Kiev? I can't really see it. It would make Mariupol look like a picnic. So long as the west doesn't get complacent and Putin can't get air supremacy the major cities seem safe.

An oil embargo and a serious gas reduction plan would help too.

I'm surprised that Germany hasn't worked out just how much economic damage this war is doing, and will continue to do.
    The benefits to them ((and the rest of us) of helping rapidly to defeat the invasion are as much economic as anything else.
    Yes.

The sooner that the Putin regime is overthrown, the sooner the world energy markets can get back to normal.

Of course, the Russians will need to find new buyers for gas in the medium term, but that is a far from insoluble problem.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    rcs1000 said:

Oh, and I've just caught up with Patel as well. Astonishing. Apparently, we don't want to release too many details on the Rwandan scheme because if we do, the criminal gangs will exploit any loophole in the law.

It's rather like introducing fines for speeding, but not telling motorists what the speed limits are.

Ignorance is no defence.

I think speed limits should be left vague and depend on conditions. Basically allow the police the power to stop any car at any speed and to give a ticket.
    One thing I do wish the police would clamp down on is slow driving. When you get stuck behind some berk doing 30 in a 60 limit past three pull ins with 15 cars behind, that's a far greater hazard than somebody doing 65 on an empty stretch of straight road.

Oregon I think has a rule that if you build a tail of more than five cars you must pull over. That always struck me as a very good law and would have eliminated many accidents I have seen on the roads of Wales in particular.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

Oh, and I've just caught up with Patel as well. Astonishing. Apparently, we don't want to release too many details on the Rwandan scheme because if we do, the criminal gangs will exploit any loophole in the law.

It's rather like introducing fines for speeding, but not telling motorists what the speed limits are.

Ignorance is no defence.

I think speed limits should be left vague and depend on conditions. Basically allow the police the power to stop any car at any speed and to give a ticket.
    Why would you restrict this power so it can only be used against car drivers? Unless you are some kind of libtard.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I spoke to a German security consultant this morning. He is hawkish and rightly scathing of the SDP.

Germany is much closer (geographically) to Ukraine than we are. Many more refugees will be seeking German assistance than British help.

Additionally the EU couldn't even think about trying to maintain their borders. We clearly can, and it's right to do so.

So you’re geography argument doesn’t hold up much, and morally let’s just say I disagree vigorously that it is “right” not to accept them.
    Ireland has the EU's policy. No choice. We're quite distant from any stream of refugees and we have a set of rules. We should modify and have modified the rules to make sure that many Ukranians can seek refuge here.

Whilst we don't need to throw the rulebook out of the window then I don't think we should.

The idea that I'd suggest that we shouldn't accept refugees is frankly insulting.
    The idea was suggested by your own words, and I wasn’t the only poster misled.

We could of course update the rulebook and let more Ukrainians in but for some reason - presumably to appease the 25% of the population that are holding the country to ransom - we choose not to.

• OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    Foxy said:

Apparently there’s a national tomato shortage.

Nothing to do with Brexit. Nothing to do with Spanish exporters refusing to try and get their produce into the UK, after repeatedly seeing their produce rot and have to be fed to French pigs. Pay no attention to the heaving shelves on the continent.

Just believe harder. Unicorns are coming.

It’s not like tomatoes are essential.

Not much lettuce either.
    Clearly these are not our salad days.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2022

Nothing to do with Brexit. Nothing to do with Spanish exporters refusing to try and get their produce into the UK, after repeatedly seeing their produce rot and have to be fed to French pigs. Pay no attention to the heaving shelves on the continent.

And we are back to the fake news again...

Tomato, lettuce and pepper supply challenges...in Dublin....

“There is shocking weather in Spain, including torrential rain. It just washed a lot of the plants away and damaged them. So a lot of the plants are just shutting down and dying off. Then you also have the Spanish truckers protesting because of the cost of fuel. It’s a double whammy,” he said. “Then because of the war in Ukraine, they’re not able to afford to artificially heat the glasshouses because of the cost of gas and oil.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tomato-lettuce-and-pepper-supply-challenges-due-to-perfect-storm-of-issues-1.4845370
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Cicero - thanks again for your worthwhile remarks. Could the west be supplying more weapons? Definitely. The Germans need to get in line with their public opinion. France seems a bit passive. We could ALL do more (well maybe not Estonia). I wouldn't be panicking though. Russia could make a breakthrough in Donbass but it will come at a cost. A new assault on Kiev? I can't really see it. It would make Mariupol look like a picnic. So long as the west doesn't get complacent and Putin can't get air supremacy the major cities seem safe.

I'm surprised that Germany hasn't worked out just how much economic damage this war is doing, and will continue to do.
    The benefits to them ((and the rest of us) of helping rapidly to defeat the invasion are as much economic as anything else.
    Yes.

The sooner that the Putin regime is overthrown, the sooner the world energy markets can get back to normal.

Of course, the Russians will need to find new buyers for gas in the medium term, but that is a far from insoluble problem.
    Depending on what replaces it...
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,241
    Re: today's Tory suck-ups, wonder how many hope for (at least) a knighthood for "services rendered"?
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

One thing I do wish the police would clamp down on is slow driving. When you get stuck behind some berk doing 30 in a 60 limit past three pull ins with 15 cars behind, that's a far greater hazard than somebody doing 65 on an empty stretch of straight road.

Oregon I think has a rule that if you build a tail of more than five cars you must pull over. That always struck me as a very good law and would have eliminated many accidents I have seen on the roads of Wales in particular.
    The thing that drives me mad is that the same arsehole doing 35 in a 60 limit still does 35 in the 30 limit bits. It's like they think they're in Speed or something. Invariably a pensioner.
  • There is a lingering feeling that PBers are less keen on moving on from covid than the public at large. The statistics are clear: it’s less risky than influenza and has been for some time.

Since the mask mandate was dropped here yesterday I think the number of people complying with the request by Tesco et al to wear a mask is 80%. As soon as pox rates collapse back into singe digits I'll stop bothering.
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

Why would you restrict this power so it can only be used against car drivers? Unless you are some kind of libtard.
    Indeed.

Particular need to crack down on scofflaw alien intruders streaking across the sky with such reckless abandon.
    Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.
    Good news for salad dodging, gammon munching Brexiteers!
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703

I don’t think the Tories are sleepwalking to defeat. I think most of them know full well.

The problem is it requires not just awareness but a backbone.

There always is an excuse for them not to act. Ukraine, the Grey report being published, the local elections. They just keep kicking the can down the road.

As you say, spineless.
  • rcs1000 said:

So I have spent the past few days “defending” the Rwanda policy to my friends, or at least refusing to condemn it outright.

I see today that scheme is for men only?

Presumably husbands will be separated from their wives; fathers from their children.

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

I see too the IMF is predicting the UK will be slowest economy between 20 and 24 - essentially static on a per capita basis.

We can’t stand another two years of this.
    The government needs to fall NOW.

No no no! The only men coming to these shores are terrorists and scroungers. So off they go to Rwanda, The women and children get on these boats to claim asylum because being drowned in the channel is preferable to just claiming asylum in the oh yeah there is no legal way they can claim asylum.

So yeah. Separate families it is. You're against that? Big wet blanket ye are.

To be fair its not hard enough. Lets punish them further! Make them live on Canvey Island! Make them drink tapwater! Fly them out of Manchester Airport!
    You sick bastard.
    Mrs RP has a build. "Why fly them out at all? The queue at Manchester Airport is never-ending. They'll never escape"

Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.
    Brexit is safe so long as the spam imports are protected.

There is a lingering feeling that PBers are less keen on moving on from covid than the public at large. The statistics are clear: it’s less risky than influenza and has been for some time.

Since the mask mandate was dropped here yesterday I think the number of people complying with the request by Tesco et al to wear a mask is 80%. As soon as pox rates collapse back into singe digits I'll stop bothering.
    I’d say we saw similar here in Waitrose when it ceased to be a legal requirement but was a request by the store, most carried on. It’s gradually declined to around 10 to 20% now.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Ireland has the EU's policy. No choice. We're quite distant from any stream of refugees and we have a set of rules. We should modify and have modified the rules to make sure that many Ukranians can seek refuge here.

Whilst we don't need to throw the rulebook out of the window then I don't think we should.

The idea that I'd suggest that we shouldn't accept refugees is frankly insulting.
    The idea was suggested by your own words, and I wasn’t the only poster misled.

We could of course update the rulebook and let more Ukrainians in but for some reason - presumably to appease the 25% of the population that are holding the country to ransom - we choose not to.

Please try not to look first for the bad in things.

Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.
    Clearly these are not our salad days.
    What are you, a wokist vegan? OR a disgruntled greengrocer?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068
    edited April 2022

Foxy said:

There is a lingering feeling that PBers are less keen on moving on from covid than the public at large. The statistics are clear: it’s less risky than influenza and has been for some time.

The difference with covid and influenza is not just severity, now more or less equal in the immunised, it is the neurological features. Influenza tends to full recovery, while for many the neurological legacy of covid in terms of headache, myalgia, fatigue, dizziness, loss of smell is prolonged.
    Do you have any clear statistics on what the legacy symptoms are, frequency and duration?

It is something that greatly worries my wife, and I have no idea what the risks are.
    Bit difficult to say just yet, or how vaccine attenuates it, but brain shrinkage was a finding, even in minimally affected cases:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2022/03/21/a-case-of-shrunken-brains-how-covid-19-may-damage-brain-cells

Not quite a new flu perhaps as a new polio, with the vast majority recovering fully, and a minority with long term damage.

• There is a lingering feeling that PBers are less keen on moving on from covid than the public at large. The statistics are clear: it’s less risky than influenza and has been for some time.

I’d say we saw similar here in Waitrose when it ceased to be a legal requirement but was a request by the store, most carried on. It’s gradually declined to around 10 to 20% now.
    When I'm in England I use discretion. If the store is quiet it stays off. If its crowded it goes on.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

How about being distracted looking in your mirror to count how many cars are behind?
    Won't that balance out the accidents?
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.

Depending on what replaces it...
    If Putin has gone, Russia has retreated from Ukraine, and some kind of settlement on reparations for rebuilding is agreed, then I think sanctions will go too.

Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.
    Biden will happily guarantee UK all the Spam that Hawaii does NOT require.
    edited April 2022
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The difference with covid and influenza is not just severity, now more or less equal in the immunised, it is the neurological features. Influenza tends to full recovery, while for many the neurological legacy of covid in terms of headache, myalgia, fatigue, dizziness, loss of smell is prolonged.
    Do you have any clear statistics on what the legacy symptoms are, frequency and duration?

It is something that greatly worries my wife, and I have no idea what the risks are.
    Bit difficult to say just yet, or how vaccine attenuates it, but brain shrinkage was a finding, even in minimally affected cases:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2022/03/21/a-case-of-shrunken-brains-how-covid-19-may-damage-brain-cells

Not quite a new flu perhaps as a new polio, with the vast majority revering fully, and a minority with long term damage.

We need to distinguish between pre and post vaccination. That comparison data was collected in May 2021, so the the vast majority had got COVID prior to vaccination.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703

I do our weekly shop in our local sainsburys in Durham. If I see more than a couple of people with masks that is all, same on the buses.

I just don’t bother now, either.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Not quite a new flu perhaps as a new polio, with the vast majority revering fully, and a minority with long term damage.

But we need to distinguish between pre and post vaccination. That comparison data was collected in May 2021, so the the vast majority had got COVID prior to vaccination.
    Also later variants, e.g. omicron, present a different set of symptoms, and thus may have a different effect on brain shrinking (or not).
  • So I have spent the past few days “defending” the Rwanda policy to my friends, or at least refusing to condemn it outright.

Presumably husbands will be separated from their wives; fathers from their children.

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

I see too the IMF is predicting the UK will be slowest economy between 20 and 24 - essentially static on a per capita basis.

Vote. Labour.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618

80% !? It’s about 1% here.
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

How about being distracted looking in your mirror to count how many cars are behind?
    Won't that balance out the accidents?
    I doubt it, given that the accidents I saw were caused by bad overtaking through frustration and in any case you are required (section 161 of the Highway Code) to check your mirrors frequently anyway so you should have a fair idea of how many people are stuck behind you.
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

A farmer friend of mine bought a tractor at a bargain price in Yorkshire. It took him 2 days to drive it home.

I have a mental picture of the queue behind him thinking "he must turn off soon..."
    edited April 2022

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

We need to distinguish between pre and post vaccination. That comparison data was collected in May 2021, so the the vast majority had got COVID prior to vaccination.
    Yep. Hence my first sentence.
    edited April 2022
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

A farmer friend of mine bought a tractor at a bargain price in Yorkshire. It took him 2 days to drive it home.

I have a mental picture of the queue behind him thinking "he must turn off soon..."
    LOL.

Some years ago (as in 30 years ago) on the A40 just outside Abergavenny there was a lot of resurfacing work done.

It caused utter chaos because the brainless gits who did it removed all the pullins at the same time so there was nowhere for tractors to let cars and particularly lorries through.

It's now been dualled so the problem has gone, but oh my goodness, it was terrible.

80% !? It’s about 1% here.
    Its been more like 10-20% every time I have been in shops in London. A lot less than before and where its quiet I don't blame them. The weather is turning for the better and we know Covid doesn't like the summer. So off you pop evil pox, we're all bored of you.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Not quite a new flu perhaps as a new polio, with the vast majority recovering fully, and a minority with long term damage.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Yes, there’s rather a lot of reports along those lines, that when one examines them one discovers that most/all of the study cohort was pre vax. Not greatly informative.

When I'm in England I use discretion. If the store is quiet it stays off. If its crowded it goes on.
    Have you not had it, or come to the conclusion that everyone is going to get it, probably multiple times?
    ABC - The election campaign so far is like a mud-slinging competition where everybody ends up looking filthy

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-19/federal-election-campaign-morrison-albanese-mudslinging-race/100999074
    Taz said:

I do our weekly shop in our local sainsburys in Durham. If I see more than a couple of people with masks that is all, same on the buses.

There’s a lady on my street who seemingly wears a mask at all times. I walked past her house the other day and she was masked while scrubbing her own front step. Bar her, I rarely see a mask on anyone all day.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

LOL.

Some years ago (as in 30 years ago) on the A40 just outside Abergavenny there was a lot of resurfacing work done.

It caused utter chaos because the brainless gits who did it removed all the pullins at the same time so there was nowhere for tractors to let cars and particularly lorries through.

It's now been dualled so the problem has gone, but oh my goodness, it was terrible.
    Tourists who don't let you past on single track roads drive me insane. Especially if there is a mobile phone being held out the window.

Campervans that do 70 on the straights but 20 in the corners.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

The thing that drives me mad is that the same arsehole doing 35 in a 60 limit still does 35 in the 30 limit bits. It's like they think they're in Speed or something. Invariably a pensioner.
    Those roads than alternate between single and dual carriageway. People obviously feel uncomfortable on the single sections and do 40-50 (less if it is bendy) and then immediately speed up to 80 on the dual sections meaning you need to drive like a twat to overtake them.

Have you not had it, or come to the conclusion that everyone is going to get it, probably multiple times?
    Haven't had it. And am keeping wearing a mask where I choose its prudent because I can't afford the time off. Know a stack of people who have had BA1/BA2 over recent months and most of them got knocked wappy for half a week at least. I'm too busy for that, and long Covid remains this great unknown.

So if I can mitigate my risks, even if its selectively done, what harm am I doing?
    edited April 2022

Taz said:

There’s a lady on my street who seemingly wears a mask at all times. I walked past her house the other day and she was masked while scrubbing her own front step. Bar her, I rarely see a mask on anyone all day.
    I was hoping to catch up with somebody at a conference in a few months time and they said that the conference isn't going to enforce mask wearing rules so they wouldn't be attending and although they aren't clinically vulnerable, vaccinated etc, they wouldn't feel safe.

Each to their own, but I wonder some people are suffering a sort of PTSD, where they see danger at every turn and lost sense of the a) the risk profile and b) that unless you insist on living like a hermit for the rest of your days, you are going to come into contact with COVID at some point.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.
    Keep it up guys. The Tories might yet win in 2024 with people like you opposing them.

Haven't had it. And am keeping wearing a mask where I choose its prudent because I can't afford the time off. Know a stack of people who have had BA1/BA2 over recent months and most of them got knocked wappy for half a week at least. I'm too busy for that, and long Covid remains this great unknown.

So if I can mitigate my risks, even if its selectively done, what harm am I doing?
    None at all. If you are happy wearing a mask do so.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

I failed my driving test for going 30 in a 40 zone. I didn't see the change in speed limit. Was very annoying.

Generally, I think the police don't bother with driving offences, unless there is some very dangerous driving, or someone has been injured.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

It could have been a lawn mower!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Straight
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

LOL.

Yes it has been fully and superbly dualled, and all the way to Dowlais Top... and the speed limit has been reduced from 60 to 50. Go figure?

(The answer to my question is Mark Drakeford.)

No harm at all, I was just interested in the behavioural psychology of your actions. I gave up worrying about it long ago: given I live in London and have frequent contacts I concluded that selective mitigation was pointless in my case. Granted, it might not be in yours.

Taz said:

I was hoping to catch up with somebody at a conference in a few months time and they said that the conference isn't going to enforce mask wearing rules so they wouldn't be attending and although they aren't clinically vulnerable, vaccinated etc, they wouldn't feel safe.

Each to their own, but I wonder some people are suffering a sort of PTSD, where they see danger at every turn and lost sense of the a) the risk profile and b) that unless you insist on living like a hermit for the rest of your days, you are going to come into contact with COVID at some point.
    Indeed so, that’s not the case with Pioneers but yes I do fear for some people who seem unwilling to go out or do anything. Admittedly they are in an ever shrinking minority. But you wonder whether there will be some holdouts?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,146
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Wow! Jacob Rees-Mogg has just told ⁦@AndrewMarr9⁩ to “get a sense of perspective” about his father’s funeral on the week of one of the No 10 lockdown parties. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-tells-andrew-26748772

The Conservative Party should be done for mass indecent exposure, the number of total dicks on display is embarrassing.
    It's all too horribly reminiscent of Leon's reports of Whatsit Tepe, that erect forest of stone willies stuck in the Mesolithic or whenever it was.

No harm at all, I was just interested in the behavioural psychology of your actions. I gave up worrying about it long ago: given I live in London and have frequent contacts I concluded that selective mitigation was pointless in my case. Granted, it might not be in yours.
    It *might* be pointless. But how do we know that? Once pox levels drop back towards zero I will be even less bothered than I am now. Until then I have no interest in being a statistic. As for the rationale its risk vs reward. I'm prepared to take the risk to go to a gig and catch it whilst having fun. Less prepared to catch it doing some boring thing like food shopping.

Taz said:

One of my colleagues got hit quite hard by omicron in feb, now recovered, but still wearing his mask a lot. Everyone is in a different place with this. I’ve not officially had Covid yet, although I’m suspicious of my sore throat and chestiness 6 weeks ago (tested negative a couple days in, but only tested once).
    I have worn a mask in practical classes as we are asking the students to do so (not my choice), but nowhere else.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 395

Taz said:

My mum wears a mask all the time while out because she's clinically vulnerable and terrified of COVID. A couple of weeks ago she caught it and was absolutely fine which was a huge relief. I still wear a mask in most crowded places because every brush with COVID I've had has left me feeling bloody awful.
    darkage said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

I failed my driving test for going 30 in a 40 zone. I didn't see the change in speed limit. Was very annoying.

Generally, I think the police don't bother with driving offences, unless there is some very dangerous driving, or someone has been injured.
    In USA, a traditional way of funding sheriffs & police, esp rural & small town, is via traffic law enforcement.

Level varies, with some communities becoming particularly noted as speed traps, that especially target out-of-town violators. Often with confusing speed limits & signage, with cops hiding behind a billboard or somesuch.

One reason for popularity in USA of radar detectors.

This is lovely. A spontaneous minute's applause at Anfield on 7 minutes in tribute to Cristiano Ronaldo (who's shirt number is 7 if you don't know) and the sad loss of his newborn son. "You'll Never Walk Alone" ringing out from the Liverpool fans.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1516494500390129677

A reminder that football fans are not all shits, and in contrast to one of the fa cup semis.
    abc.net.au - Russian forces capture Ukrainian city of Kreminna, as attacks continue in country's eastern Donbas region

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-19/russia-ukraine-kreminna-attacks-eastern-donbas/101000708

Russian forces have seized the city of Kreminna in eastern Ukraine and Ukrainian troops have withdrawn from the city, according to the regional governor.

Kreminna, which had a population of more than 18,000 before Russia's invasion of Ukraine, appears to be the first city confirmed to have been taken by Russian forces since they launched a new offensive in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine.

"Kreminna is under the control of the 'Orcs' (Russians). They have entered the city," Serhiy Gaidai, the governor of the Luhansk region, told a briefing.

"Our defenders had to withdraw. They have entrenched themselves in new positions and continue to fight the Russian army."

He did not say when the Russian forces established control over Kreminna, but said they had attacked "from all sides".

"It is impossible to calculate the number of dead among the civilian population. We have official statistics — about 200 dead — but in reality there are many more, " he said, without making clear what period the estimated death toll covered. . . .
    glw said:

Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.
    Keep it up guys. The Tories might yet win in 2024 with people like you opposing them.
    Unless the economy is horrendous between now and January 2025 I am still convinced, despite their appalling behaviour, performance and policies the Conservatives could yet win again. No hubris here mate!

Anyway, why are we not allowed to ridicule Brexit and Brexiteers on those odd occasions where it isn't seen to be a raging success? By the way, I added in "odd occasions" just to calm those Brexit waters.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

Those roads than alternate between single and dual carriageway. People obviously feel uncomfortable on the single sections and do 40-50 (less if it is bendy) and then immediately speed up to 80 on the dual sections meaning you need to drive like a twat to overtake them.
    Worst are the drivers who risk collision to pull out of a side road in front of you, and then crawl along holding you up.
    Pushy slow - just infuriating.

This is lovely. A spontaneous minute's applause at Anfield on 7 minutes in tribute to Cristiano Ronaldo (who's shirt number is 7 if you don't know) and the sad loss of his newborn son. "You'll Never Walk Alone" ringing out from the Liverpool fans.

Yes it was quite a spine-tingling moment
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

glw said:

Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.
    Unless the economy is horrendous between now and January 2025 I am still convinced, despite their appalling behaviour, performance and policies the Conservatives could yet win again. No hubris here mate!

Anyway, why are we not allowed to ridicule Brexit and Brexiteers on those odd occasions where it isn't seen to be a raging success? By the way, I added in "odd occasions" just to calm those Brexit waters.
    Up thread Francis thinks it is "fake news", but whatever the facts are the attitude stinks.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Con Maj drifting

NOM 1.91
    Con Maj 3.4
    Lab Maj 5
  • Get well soon Mike!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,393
    Preventing that corridor to Crimea being secure for the Russians seems like the minimal target aim to prevent them from going for a 'ceasefire' which leaves most of what they want in their hands.

BBC

The embattled Ukrainian city of Mariupol could completely fall to Russian forces within days, a European official has told Reuters.

The official, who asked not to be named, said they believe that Russia hopes to declare the city "liberated" by 9 May, the date when Russia marks the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945.

"We do expect a complete destruction of the city and many civilian casualties in Mariupol," they added.

The official added they fear the death toll could be worse than Bucha, where Russian troops have been accused of killing hundreds of civilians. Russia denies the claims.

Additionally, the official said they believed Russia's medium-term objective was to control Luhansk and Donetsk and secure a land corridor with Crimea, which Russia seized in 2014.

Such an operation is likely to take between four and six months to complete, after which the conflict could result in a stalemate, the official added.
  • Complete gulf in effort, class and quality at Anfield tonight.
    kle4 said:

Preventing that corridor to Crimea being secure for the Russians seems like the minimal target aim to prevent them from going for a 'ceasefire' which leaves most of what they want in their hands.

BBC

The embattled Ukrainian city of Mariupol could completely fall to Russian forces within days, a European official has told Reuters.

The official, who asked not to be named, said they believe that Russia hopes to declare the city "liberated" by 9 May, the date when Russia marks the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945.

"We do expect a complete destruction of the city and many civilian casualties in Mariupol," they added.

The official added they fear the death toll could be worse than Bucha, where Russian troops have been accused of killing hundreds of civilians. Russia denies the claims.

Additionally, the official said they believed Russia's medium-term objective was to control Luhansk and Donetsk and secure a land corridor with Crimea, which Russia seized in 2014.

Such an operation is likely to take between four and six months to complete, after which the conflict could result in a stalemate, the official added.

They should confirm Mariupol very soon.
    Could even be today or tomorrow.

A four to six month operation to secure the two Donbas oblasts and the two south-eastern oblasts seems much more “reasonable” than the initial objectives. Reasonable as in achievable.

Con Maj drifting

NOM 1.91
    Con Maj 3.4
    Lab Maj 5

Labour needs to be war planning various confidence and supply scenarios, although an outright majority is becoming more and more feasible.

It starts to become a virtuous cycle after a while, as people stop fearing the SNP holding the country hostage.
    edited April 2022

kle4 said:

BBC

They should confirm Mariupol very soon.
    Could even be today or tomorrow.

A four to six month operation to secure the two Donbas oblasts and the two south-eastern oblasts seems much more “reasonable” than the initial objectives. Reasonable as in achievable.
    Loathe as I am to offer advice to Putin and his minions, it should have been their objective from the start, in terms of achievability. Western powers probably would not have been as swift or intense to act had it been a push out of Donbas and Crimea either, even though it would still have been a big escalation of the initial invasion.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

darkage said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

In USA, a traditional way of funding sheriffs & police, esp rural & small town, is via traffic law enforcement.

Level varies, with some communities becoming particularly noted as speed traps, that especially target out-of-town violators. Often with confusing speed limits & signage, with cops hiding behind a billboard or somesuch.

Wasn't there some one-horse town in the South that tried that, only to catch state senator, who was so enraged that he got the town's charter revoked?
    glw said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.

Up thread Francis thinks it is "fake news", but whatever the facts are the attitude stinks.
    Get over it, you pearl-clutching dribbler.

Complete gulf in effort, class and quality at Anfield tonight.

Liverpool went d3cades between winning the First Division and the Premier League. I’ve felt for a while that United May be in for a similar length of wait for their next top flight title. Too much structurally wrong at the club, including how the owners see the club.
    How sad...

darkage said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Ignorance is no defence.

I seem to recall, possibly in the wake of Ferguson, that several counties round there were something like 70-80% funded by traffic fines and other violations. Not just the law enforcement, but the city/county administration. Which it was suggested meant that, essentially, the local governments were effectively weilling people to break the law, since it ups their budgets.

Though there was a supposed example of a small town whose boundaries included a tiny stretch of highway, so they could set that small stretch at a low limit and catch thousands.

Liverpool went d3cades between winning the First Division and the Premier League. I’ve felt for a while that United May be in for a similar length of wait for their next top flight title. Too much structurally wrong at the club, including how the owners see the club.
    How sad...
    Man Utd have world class players, though perhaps short a decent striker. What is wrong there is like Everton, behind the scenes.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Foxy said:

How sad...
    Man Utd have world class players, though perhaps short a decent striker. What is wrong there is like Everton, behind the scenes.
    Which Man Utd players do you consider to be world class?

A reminder that football fans are not all shits, and in contrast to one of the fa cup semis.
    Except for LA Galaxy fans. Those guys are the scum of the earth. They make Putin look good.
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

How sad...
    Fernandes, Maguire, Pogba, Wan-Bissaka, Elanga, Sancho, De Gea playing tonight.
    Today is US Mask Freedom day. No longer are you required to wear a mask on airplanes, buses, Ubers, etc.

I am celebrating with a glass of wine at Oakland airport. (Which is *way* better than SFO. Why did no-one tell me earlier???)

No fan of Liverpool but goodness me that was a beautiful, pinpoint finish from Mane, anywhere else De Gea saves it.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046

So I have spent the past few days “defending” the Rwanda policy to my friends, or at least refusing to condemn it outright.

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

Not a good idea to advertise it being just for men. That may encourage the bringing along of children and wives in tow to minimise the chances of being sent to Rwanda, putting those women and children in danger. It is necessary that a boat over here is seen as a one way ticket to Rwanda. So far the Government are doing well - they just need to resist the outraged cries from people who will never vote for them.

• RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    rcs1000 said:

Today is US Mask Freedom day. No longer are you required to wear a mask on airplanes, buses, Ubers, etc.

I am celebrating with a glass of wine at Oakland airport. (Which is *way* better than SFO. Why did no-one tell me earlier???)

No sign of US pre departure testing going yet? Seems a bit odd to keep that, even behind Australia and NZ
    glw said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.

Off topic

Since 2016, on Brexit, I have been told to suck it up you Remoaner loser. Was that just a bit of fun?

Brexiteers refuse to listen to bad Brexit news, it's always something else. Brexit is done, of a fashion, but when things go wrong we are not allowed to say "I told you so". We just have bad attitudes.

Back on topic, I will never forgive Johnson for his two letter stunt in order to undermine Cameron. A self indulgent act that dragged Leave over the line. He owns Brexit and he deserves to fail for that and not his Partygate nonsense.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    All the details from inside Boris Johnson’s private meeting with Tory MPs https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-gets-laughs-swipes-26749244
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046

Do you have any details as to why the UK border authorities are turning away tomato imports? I thought on our side we were pretty relaxed about these things.
    Sources were keen to stress that the PM also backed Chancellor Rishi Sunak, who is also under fire over getting fined, asking them "who would you rather run the economy, Rishi or Rachel Reeves ".

I’m not sure Boris has realised the full bustedness of his particular flush.

• CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    Scott_xP said:

Yes but I'm sure he was very polite about it, so that's ok :trollface:

Sources were keen to stress that the PM also backed Chancellor Rishi Sunak, who is also under fire over getting fined, asking them "who would you rather run the economy, Rishi or Rachel Reeves ".

Lol. Probably a fair few of them were thinking, “er, you’re saying we can get Rachel?!”

glw said:

glw said:

Foxy said:

Not much lettuce either.

Off topic

Since 2016, on Brexit, I have been told to suck it up you Remoaner loser. Was that just a bit of fun?

Brexiteers refuse to listen to bad Brexit news, it's always something else. Brexit is done, of a fashion, but when things go wrong we are not allowed to say "I told you so". We just have bad attitudes.

Back on topic, I will never forgive Johnson for his two letter stunt in order to undermine Cameron. A self indulgent act that dragged Leave over the line. He owns Brexit and he deserves to fail for that and not his Partygate nonsense.
    There’s one poster on here who seems to keep up a full-time vigil to rebut bad Brexit news, while completely ignoring the dreary economic stats.
    Scott_xP said:

All the details from inside Boris Johnson’s private meeting with Tory MPs https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-gets-laughs-swipes-26749244

He is trolling us. As a non- Johnsonian I knew he considered people like me to be utter scum, but he's laughing at those people who voted for him too.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

How sad...
    De Gea, yes, the rest are nowhere near world class.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    When I was in the Coop yesterday there was one masked up customer.

He had been wearing his mask while walking there, with no-one else within 50 yards, so a real hard-core maskee.
    edited April 2022

Rishi or Rachel? I know who gets the Sunil vote...
    edited April 2022
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

How sad...
    They are in the right team.

Mind you, the only one that I would want at Leicester would be Sancho. Maybe Rashford too.

When I was in the Coop yesterday there was one masked up customer.

He had been wearing his mask while walking there, with no-one else within 50 yards, so a real hard-core maskee.

,,,or someone on a recce to stroke the till a litter later in the evening.
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

How sad...
    Pogba frequently shows signs of the billing when playing for France. Just not at United. Varane was arguably the best centre back in the world when at Real Madrid. Just not at United.
    9-0 aggregate between these two must beat some fairly longstanding records.
  • 9-0 aggregate between these two must beat some fairly longstanding records.

Biggest ever double between them in their whole history.

In Premier League history, United had never conceded eight in aggregate to any club before let alone nine.
This discussion has been closed.