Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What’s this doing to Johnson’s survival chances? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    darkage said:

Cicero said:

The first even faintly spring like day in Tallinn this year. In Kyiv it is wet and cold. Eastern Ukraine, somewhat similar, so less than ideal conditions for Russian heavy armour, but in fact there is growing concern here in the Baltic. Although Estonia is donating weapons and equipment on an extraordinary scale, helping tens of thousands of refugees, and leading in any way possible the aid to the beleagured Ukrainians, the situation is approaching critical.

The likely fall of Mariupol will release several Russian batallions for the assault and the Ukrainian forces are fully stretched already. The fact is that simply not enough NATO kit has come to off-set the force of numbers that the Putinists are able to bring to bear on the Eastern front. If that front crumbles, then the forces withdrawn to Belarus would likely have another attempt to take Kyiv. Putin has not given up on any of his strategic goals.

Boris may be hiding behind "There is a war on", but the truth is that the UK is ninth in level of support for Ukraine in proportion to GDP, it is not the level that they pretend.

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/fileadmin/_processed_/3/0/csm_UST_Grafik2_Bilaterale-Hilfen_EN_6957ab61ce.png

I need hardly say that Estonia is way ahead, but then the sense of urgency is growing ever stronger here.

You may have noticed that the works of George Orwell have essentially been banned in Russia, which, I think gives you a very clear sense of the nature of the crackdown going on there. If Putin is not comprehensively defeated now, then the outlook for the world is very bleak indeed. Sooner or later nukes will come into the equation and the only way to stop that is to be extremely firm in our dealings with the despicable regime in the Kremlin.

A critical moment is coming and the gap between success and disaster is very slim indeed. Ukraine needs massive aid right now and Johnson is not stepping up to the plate to provide it. So less of the Daily Mail rubbish and more emergency assistance is needed immediately, or we will rue the consequences for years to come.

The greatest danger is that people conclude that Russia has had its ass kicked. They could potentially turn things around by way of brutality and sheer force of numbers. There is a dangerous sense of a false victory.

I agree, we must keep pressure on western governments to get the weapons into Ukraine rapidly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    kinabalu said:

Have to ask if some of these Tory MPs really think their colon-licking will go down well. Steve Baker's tongue had come out of Boris's nose then.

Disappointing because Baker was doing a decent impression of a man of principle when all this broke.
    I was going to make a scorpion and the frog fable allusion, but it would appear the moral of the older scorpion and turtle story seems to apply better.

To cherish a base character is to give one's honor to the wind, and to involve one's own self in embarrassment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2022
    UK predicted slowest growing economy in the G7. Second slowest in the G20 (second to Russia!!)

If Johnson claimed the credit for being 'Fastest growing ....' Quickest roll out....' blah blah blah perhaps his MPs could explain ?

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176

Strong performances from left wing Labour MPs such as Burgon in the chamber. I don't understand all this faux outrage about Johnson, everybody on here who voted for the Tories in 2019 should be deeply shamed of themselves when Corbyn was the better option.

No, Corbyn and Johnson were just as bad as each other.

We should all be ashamed for voting for either.
    I’m not ashamed. Having voted remain I was horrified by the behaviour of the 2017-2019 parliament. I wanted the vote respected and Brexit delivered. Only a vote for Johnson gave that.
    He’s done, and needs to go ASAP, but I’m not ashamed of how I voted.
    I am ashamed
    Don’t be. You had your belief in Corbin at the time.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Get well soon.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Cicero said:

The first even faintly spring like day in Tallinn this year. In Kyiv it is wet and cold. Eastern Ukraine, somewhat similar, so less than ideal conditions for Russian heavy armour, but in fact there is growing concern here in the Baltic. Although Estonia is donating weapons and equipment on an extraordinary scale, helping tens of thousands of refugees, and leading in any way possible the aid to the beleagured Ukrainians, the situation is approaching critical.

The likely fall of Mariupol will release several Russian batallions for the assault and the Ukrainian forces are fully stretched already. The fact is that simply not enough NATO kit has come to off-set the force of numbers that the Putinists are able to bring to bear on the Eastern front. If that front crumbles, then the forces withdrawn to Belarus would likely have another attempt to take Kyiv. Putin has not given up on any of his strategic goals.

Boris may be hiding behind "There is a war on", but the truth is that the UK is ninth in level of support for Ukraine in proportion to GDP, it is not the level that they pretend.

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/fileadmin/_processed_/3/0/csm_UST_Grafik2_Bilaterale-Hilfen_EN_6957ab61ce.png

I need hardly say that Estonia is way ahead, but then the sense of urgency is growing ever stronger here.

You may have noticed that the works of George Orwell have essentially been banned in Russia, which, I think gives you a very clear sense of the nature of the crackdown going on there. If Putin is not comprehensively defeated now, then the outlook for the world is very bleak indeed. Sooner or later nukes will come into the equation and the only way to stop that is to be extremely firm in our dealings with the despicable regime in the Kremlin.

A critical moment is coming and the gap between success and disaster is very slim indeed. Ukraine needs massive aid right now and Johnson is not stepping up to the plate to provide it. So less of the Daily Mail rubbish and more emergency assistance is needed immediately, or we will rue the consequences for years to come.

The greatest danger is that people conclude that Russia has had its ass kicked. They could potentially turn things around by way of brutality and sheer force of numbers. There is a dangerous sense of a false victory.

Given Mariupol is probably going to be fully taken, one would hope people do not think Russia has lost its ability to threaten and destrou.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    kle4 said:

stjohn said:

Foxy said:

stjohn said:

One thing we can all agree upon. Fine apology from Boris today.

🤔.
    An apology re a fine. :smile:
    I feel so stupid for not getting this until you explained it.
    Am in same boat - just give StJ a retrospective like!
  • Options
    Best wishes to OGH for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

kle4 said:

stjohn said:

Foxy said:

stjohn said:

🤔.
    A retrospective like? I always give my likes in advance.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I hope you recover quickly and that it's mild, Mike.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Surely one more fine or illegal gathering revealed will see him gone?

If that's the case he's odds on to go - since he's odds on to get at least 1 more PCN.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Best wishes with the lurgy Mike.
  • Options

Paul Middleton @ProfPMiddleton
    @jessphillips turns the "speeding fine" comparison against
    @BorisJohnson with great effect. She notes that after three tickets you get your licence removed, and asks after how many fines he'll resign.

He'd be one of those people who has exceptional circumstances.

A speeding driver who clocked up 62 points on his licence is still allowed to drive, the BBC has learned.

The West Yorkshire man was among 10,000 motorists legally driving on British roads last month, despite having excessive points.

Usually 12 points means a ban, but magistrates can choose not to enforce it in "exceptional cases".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658

Of course, since one fine has made him so focused on doing the right thing (under duress), further fines should only help him do the job even more.
  • Options
    Politico.com - Ukraine pressing for $50B aid package to cover budget gap, adviser says
    Oleg Ustenko, a top economic adviser to Zelenskyy, said the country faces a critical financing shortfall.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/18/ukraine-50-billion-aid-package-00026032

Ukrainian officials are appealing to the U.S. and other Group of Seven nations for a $50 billion aid package to cover the country’s widening budget deficit, a top economic adviser to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Monday.

Oleg Ustenko said a delegation of Ukrainian officials, including finance minister Serhiy Marchenko, will present the plan to policymakers from the world’s biggest economies in Washington this week, on the sidelines of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank spring meetings. . . .

Ukraine’s economy relies heavily on exports of grain and metals that can no longer be shipped via the Black Sea, and roughly half the country’s businesses remain closed amid intense fighting, Ustenko said. That has sent budget revenue plunging. . . .

Asked whether Treasury would support such a plan, a department spokesperson said Secretary Janet Yellen “is committed to working with our partners and allies to support Ukraine’s economic needs in the short and long term, and will use her meetings this week to galvanize support.”

The Ukrainians are proposing an initial tranche of about $10 billion, half of which Ustenko proposed could be covered by the U.S., which he sees as leading the global effort to provide support. That would be followed by subsequent payments on an agreed-upon schedule.

“This is something which is needed to be resolved almost immediately,” he said. “It’s not like we have time to wait.”

Ustenko said the money would ideally be provided as grants that wouldn’t have to be repaid but said he expects at least some of the assistance could come in other forms, such as loans or loan guarantees. The U.S. provided several similar loan guarantees for Ukraine after Russia’s 2014 invasion of Crimea, which enabled the country to borrow on international markets.

Ukraine has already cut back spending on most everything but the military and safety net, Ustenko said. As more Ukrainian refugees have begun returning to the country from parts of Europe, safety net spending could begin to rise over the coming months, adding to the red ink, he added.

“The EU should be motivated to support us because our people are coming back,” he said. . . .
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,022

kle4 said:

stjohn said:

Foxy said:

stjohn said:

🤔.
    Also a "fine apology" could be one that Tories feel is adequate, but non-Tories think is inadequate... so both think it meets their specific objectives and hence is "fine"
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Paul Middleton @ProfPMiddleton
    @jessphillips turns the "speeding fine" comparison against
    @BorisJohnson with great effect. She notes that after three tickets you get your licence removed, and asks after how many fines he'll resign.

If you're a new driver (under two years since you obtain your license) it's removed if you get 6 points.
    But "new PM" rules don't apply, I guess.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

stjohn said:

Foxy said:

stjohn said:

🤔.
    A retrospective like? I always give my likes in advance.
    So you like before you see, let alone absorb? Very prescient.

Wasn't sure of the proper word; posthumous didn't sound right! After-the-fact?
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    Scott_xP said:

Get well soon, but Covid is over. I'm sure I read that somewhere. Maybe it's just a bad cold...

I'm fairly sure I've currently got it again, round 2 - had Delta in September.

Delta was a week of fever, along with a throat so sore it took over an hour to down a glass of water - I had to take soluble painkillers because I couldn't get normal ones in me.

This is similar symptoms at a fraction of the intensity - I barely feel ill, I've just a bit of a sore throat, and a mild fever for a few hours last night.
    I started getting symptoms Friday, but wasn't particularly ill till Monday, I'll probably be back at work tomorrow.

If I get it again, I suspect it will be even less serious still. I'm probably pretty typical of most people with it at the moment.

So yes, for 99.9% of the population, its just a bad cold now.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    Mark Harper has delivered his letter to Sir Graham Brady Old Lady.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

Get well soon, but Covid is over. I'm sure I read that somewhere. Maybe it's just a bad cold...

Delta was a week of fever, along with a throat so sore it took over an hour to down a glass of water - I had to take soluble painkillers because I couldn't get normal ones in me.

This is similar symptoms at a fraction of the intensity - I barely feel ill, I've just a bit of a sore throat, and a mild fever for a few hours last night.
    I started getting symptoms Friday, but wasn't particularly ill till Monday, I'll probably be back at work tomorrow.

If I get it again, I suspect it will be even less serious still. I'm probably pretty typical of most people with it at the moment.

We're still at about 2000 hospitalisations per day, so I think 99.9% is probably a slight exaggeration.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, that was exactly my experience of it, right down to the sore throat and mild fever (for one night only). I have had worse colds (and bouts of flu which were far worse). I had notable symptoms for 3.5 days, the final day being characterised by extreme tiredness. After that, it was like I had never had it bar the tiniest lingering sore throat on the morning of day four.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

We're still at about 2000 hospitalisations per day, so I think 99.9% is probably a slight exaggeration.
    Possibly although remember that most of those hospitalisations are so-called 'incidental' ones – the patient is, by definition, admitted for something else.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    May I add my best wishes to OGH.
    Get well soon!
  • Options
    TimmycoolTimmycool Posts: 13

Mark Harper has delivered his letter to Sir Graham Brady Old Lady.

Genius. I salute you.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    Hope you feel better soon Mike.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Look after yourself and best wishes, OGH.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Mike I am so sorry to hear about the covid. Wishing you a speedy and full a recovery.

Much in thoughts.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    I notice that the Aussie cricketer Mitch Marsh has been admitted to hospital because of covid. Somewhat worrying.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/mitchell-marsh-ipl-covid-australia-26744902
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055
    Farooq said:

1. Set conditions under which you think someone should resign
    2. When conditions are met, set new conditions
    3. Goto 2

The ministerial coda?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If that's the case he's odds on to go - since he's odds on to get at least 1 more PCN.
    No. Johnson could paper the walls with FPNs and he would go nowhere. Come to think about it, papering the walls with FPNs would be cheaper than a roll of Lulu Lytle's wallpaper. They'd look less garish too.
    Is also my view. Certainly as regards resigning (lol) and it's only slightly less lol that Tory MPs are going to act. What a carry on, what a circus, what a horror show, what a you name it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186

Farooq said:

1. Set conditions under which you think someone should resign
    2. When conditions are met, set new conditions
    3. Goto 2

The ministerial coda?
    Codas come at the end. This lot think it's more of a second, third, fourth, fifth (skip a few) twelfth time bar.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I notice that the Aussie cricketer Mitch Marsh has been admitted to hospital because of covid. Somewhat worrying.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/mitchell-marsh-ipl-covid-australia-26744902

Worrying for him. I don’t know for sure, but for a professional sportsman to be that I’ll I’d suspect unvaccinated. But he might just be unlucky.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

Not just a bad cold for me. Fine now but a nasty bug.
  • Options
    Get well soon Mr Smithson. Me and the missus have got it too. She’s been floored for a couple of days, feels crap. I’ve had a bit of a tickly cough and a slightly blocked nose, like mild hay fever. I hope your experience is closer to mine than her’s.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,212

Cicero said:

I don't think that graph is very reliable. For one thing "new commitments since February 24th" cuts out weapons from the UK that were not only committed but delivered before then. In addition, according to Zelensky's office, the UK is responsible for 47% of all charitable aid to Ukraine since the war started.
    Agreed it is a moving target, but the claims of "global leadership" in aid to Ukraine are clearly wide of the mark. We need to radically up our game here. Despite the incredible intelligence asisistance from 5 eyes, the crisis is growing and we need to take drastic steps to ensure Ukraine can come through this.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

No. Johnson could paper the walls with FPNs and he would go nowhere. Come to think about it, papering the walls with FPNs would be cheaper than a roll of Lulu Lytle's wallpaper. They'd look less garish too.
    Is also my view. Certainly as regards resigning (lol) and it's only slightly less lol that Tory MPs are going to act. What a carry on, what a circus, what a horror show, what a you name it.
    ...Benny Hill caper.

Yakety Sax anyone?
  • Options
    John Robinson deserves better.

Britain deserves better.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1516464346074951682

Keir"s finest moment. The man we deserve - the man we need.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

Not just a bad cold for me. Fine now but a nasty bug.
    It does seem to vary a lot. I finally succumbed to it for the first time about four weeks ago, and for me it was super-mild: just a slight sore throat, a very slight cough for a couple of days, and that was it - no tiredness or loss of taste/smell, or any of the other symptoms. It was actually less severe than a typical cold. (Of course that's after the three jabs.) But some of the various friends in their fifties and sixties who've also contracted it recently have been much more badly affected, despite also being triple-jabbed. Not badly enough to be hospitalised, fortunately, but a nasty few days at home and sometimes with the lingering loss of taste/smell.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Hope you give Covid a pasting Mr. Smithson. Feel better soon.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    Farooq said:

theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

20,000 currently in hospital and over 200 deaths per day from COVID in the UK. Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

New strains might have higher or lower mortality. Experience suggests there will be new strains and that current vaccines will be less effective against them.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    stjohn said:

an apology for receiving a fine. he didnt admit to breaking the law or lying.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576

Britain deserves better.

I'm not convinced. I'd prefer Yvette Cooper.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    All good wishes to Mike for a quick and complete recovery.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Britain deserves better.

The way he delivered it reminded me of Ossoff's withering of David Perdue. No raised voice, no anger, just a ruthless repetition of facts that speak for themselves.

I seem to remember I compared the expression on Perdue's face to that of a man being forced to drink neat horse piss. Johnson looked, if anything, even worse.

He may survive because he's as shameless as he is stupid. But he looks utterly broken and bereft.

And Perdue, of course, narrowly lost the election...

(At least all this explains how that useless twat Cummings got away with his asinine lies, but was hurried out over a different issue. It couldn't have been over his flagrant breaches of Covid rules because nobody in government was paying any attention to them.)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    ydoethur said:

Britain deserves better.

The way he delivered it reminded me of Ossoff's withering of David Perdue. No raised voice, no anger, just a ruthless repetition of facts that speak for themselves.

I seem to remember I compared the expression on Perdue's face to that of a man being forced to drink neat horse piss. Johnson looked, if anything, even worse.

He may survive because he's as shameless as he is stupid. But he looks utterly broken and bereft.

(At least all this explains how that useless twat Cummings got away with his asinine lies, but was hurried out over a different issue. It couldn't have been over his flagrant breaches of Covid rules because nobody in government was paying any attention to them.)
    Ossoff was the real star of the 2020 Senatorial elections. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to go on to become President one day.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Macron continues to inch further ahead in the French Presidential polling - obviously, the debate tomorrow night may yet be a game changer but Le Pen is going to have to do a lot better than five years ago to close the gap.

Slovenia also votes this Sunday and the question is whether Janez Jansa's coalition can stand a strong challenge from Robert Golob and his new Svoboda movement.

We also have Schleswig-Holstein's regional election on May 8th. The polling is to say the least variable - Infratest has a large CDU lead, INSA does not - Infratest has the CDU leading the SPD 36-20 while INSA has 28-27 so some volatility in that polling - imagine if we had one poll showing the Conservatives 16 points ahead and another showing them one point ahead...

Currently, Schleswig-Holstein is governed by a CDU-Green-FDP coalition which has 44 seats in the Landtag. The SPD has 21 with 3 for the South Schleswig Voters Association (SSV) and 5 for Alternative for Germany.

At the 2017 election, the CDU won 32% of the vote (25 seats), the SPD 27.3% (21), the Greens 13% (10), the FDP 11.5% (9), AfD 6% (5). The SSV won 3.3% and 3 seats - an anomaly within the German voting system allows the SSV representation in the Landtag. The same anomaly got the SSV a seat in the Bundestag after last year's Federal election.

As you might imagine, the SSV is strongest in the areas immediately adjoining the Danish border such as Harrislee and parts of north Flensburg. My recollection is a 10 minute journey from Padborg on the Danish side across to Flensburg passing through the Flensburg suburbs to the main station.
  • Options
    Very droll.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited April 2022
    So I have spent the past few days “defending” the Rwanda policy to my friends, or at least refusing to condemn it outright.

I see today that scheme is for men only?

Presumably husbands will be separated from their wives; fathers from their children.

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

I see too the IMF is predicting the UK will be slowest economy between 20 and 24 - essentially static on a per capita basis.

We can’t stand another two years of this.
    The government needs to fall NOW.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Britain deserves better.

Ossoff was the real star of the 2020 Senatorial elections. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to go on to become President one day.
    Ossoff for the Dems in 2024? Oh please, that would be funny.

'Perhaps president Trump would be better placed to have formulated a policy on Ukraine if he wasn't constantly fending off federal investigations for tax evasion?

It's not just that you're a crook, Mr President, it's that you've made every American less safe because you're too busy lining your own pockets to deal with the threats we face.'
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Cicero - thanks again for your worthwhile remarks. Could the west be supplying more weapons? Definitely. The Germans need to get in line with their public opinion. France seems a bit passive. We could ALL do more (well maybe not Estonia). I wouldn't be panicking though. Russia could make a breakthrough in Donbass but it will come at a cost. A new assault on Kiev? I can't really see it. It would make Mariupol look like a picnic. So long as the west doesn't get complacent and Putin can't get air supremacy the major cities seem safe.

An oil embargo and a serious gas reduction plan would help too.
  • Options
    I spoke to a German security consultant this morning. He is hawkish and rightly scathing of the SDP.

He did note tho that Germany has accepted 350,000 Ukrainian refugees.

How many has the UK accepted?

For shame, Britain. For shame.
  • Options

So I have spent the past few days “defending” the Rwanda policy to my friends, or at least refusing to condemn it outright.

Presumably husbands will be separated from their wives; fathers from their children.

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

I see too the IMF is predicting the UK will be slowest economy between 20 and 24 - essentially static on a per capita basis.

The ministers on the front bench looked like reanimated corpses. In Johnson's and Sunak's cases, possibly just corpses.

Even if it survives, I will be very surprised if it can achieve anything useful from hereon in. That requires confidence, energy and a belief that you can improve things. Not what we're seeing here.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Anecdotally a lot of friends have recently said things along the line of "Had Covid, symptoms were very mild, barely even a sniffle. Couldn't get out of bed for 4 days and have slept for 23 hours a day mind."
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Pensfold said:

Farooq said:

theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

20,000 currently in hospital and over 200 deaths per day from with COVID in the UK. Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

New strains might have higher or lower mortality. Experience suggests there will be new strains and that current vaccines will be less effective against them.
    Corrected that for you. When I checked a couple of weeks ago almost half of all "Covid deaths" were primarily from another cause.
  • Options

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

No no no! The only men coming to these shores are terrorists and scroungers. So off they go to Rwanda, The women and children get on these boats to claim asylum because being drowned in the channel is preferable to just claiming asylum in the oh yeah there is no legal way they can claim asylum.

So yeah. Separate families it is. You're against that? Big wet blanket ye are.

To be fair its not hard enough. Lets punish them further! Make them live on Canvey Island! Make them drink tapwater! Fly them out of Manchester Airport!
  • Options
    Get well soon, MS.

I got Covid round 2 a month ago.

I was mildly fluey but then it developed into a chest infection and I was down and out for two weeks pretty much.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2022
    COVID hospitalisation is upto 75% incidental admissions, consistently 50-60%. That's not helpful hospitals themselves having to work around this, but saying 20,000 people are in hospital for COVID and 200 dying isn't painting a true picture.

And I would be interested to know of those there not incidentally, how many are still bloody people who aren't fully jabbed up. Also, be interesting to know what the uptake on jab 4 is. I don't think the government have pushed that message hard enough.
  • Options

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

No no no! The only men coming to these shores are terrorists and scroungers. So off they go to Rwanda, The women and children get on these boats to claim asylum because being drowned in the channel is preferable to just claiming asylum in the oh yeah there is no legal way they can claim asylum.

To be fair its not hard enough. Lets punish them further! Make them live on Canvey Island! Make them drink tapwater! Fly them out of Manchester Airport!
    Of course, Johnson is an immigrant.

And a criminal.

Could we send him to Rwanda?

It would separate him from his family, well, one of (about six of) them, but it would at least get rid of him.
  • Options

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

It’s not a joke.
    It’s indecent.
    I can’t even believe it’s the policy. Is it really?
    I’m ashamed of it, if it is.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775

I spoke to a German security consultant this morning. He is hawkish and rightly scathing of the SDP.

Germany is much closer (geographically) to Ukraine than we are. Many more refugees will be seeking German assistance than British help.

Additionally the EU couldn't even think about trying to maintain their borders. We clearly can, and it's right to do so.
  • Options

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

It’s not a joke.
    It’s indecent.
    I can’t even believe it’s the policy. Is it really?
    I’m ashamed of it, if it is.
    It is a joke because they aren't serious. We have it in writing from the Permanent Secretary at the Home Office that it is unworkable and a likely financial and legal black hole. So he required Patel to instruct him to ignore their advice.

Its immoral and indecent and why are you surprised. This government is immoral and indecent. As are the people who vouch for them.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Germany is much closer (geographically) to Ukraine than we are. Many more refugees will be seeking German assistance than British help.

Additionally the EU couldn't even think about trying to maintain their borders. We clearly can, and it's right to do so.
    Wait, do you mean to say it's right to keep refugees out? So if Poland could, they should?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Macron continues to inch further ahead in the French Presidential polling - obviously, the debate tomorrow night may yet be a game changer but Le Pen is going to have to do a lot better than five years ago to close the gap.

Slovenia also votes this Sunday and the question is whether Janez Jansa's coalition can stand a strong challenge from Robert Golob and his new Svoboda movement.

We also have Schleswig-Holstein's regional election on May 8th. The polling is to say the least variable - Infratest has a large CDU lead, INSA does not - Infratest has the CDU leading the SPD 36-20 while INSA has 28-27 so some volatility in that polling - imagine if we had one poll showing the Conservatives 16 points ahead and another showing them one point ahead...

Currently, Schleswig-Holstein is governed by a CDU-Green-FDP coalition which has 44 seats in the Landtag. The SPD has 21 with 3 for the South Schleswig Voters Association (SSV) and 5 for Alternative for Germany.

At the 2017 election, the CDU won 32% of the vote (25 seats), the SPD 27.3% (21), the Greens 13% (10), the FDP 11.5% (9), AfD 6% (5). The SSV won 3.3% and 3 seats - an anomaly within the German voting system allows the SSV representation in the Landtag. The same anomaly got the SSV a seat in the Bundestag after last year's Federal election.

As you might imagine, the SSV is strongest in the areas immediately adjoining the Danish border such as Harrislee and parts of north Flensburg. My recollection is a 10 minute journey from Padborg on the Danish side across to Flensburg passing through the Flensburg suburbs to the main station.

I don't believe it's an anomaly: it's a very deliberate choice to allow parties that are geographically concentrated (like the SSV) to get seats, even if they don't make the 5% threshold.
  • Options
    There is a lingering feeling that PBers are less keen on moving on from covid than the public at large. The statistics are clear: it’s less risky than influenza and has been for some time.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Believe it was Lord Palmerston who observed re: the Schleswig-Holstein Question, that (I paraphrase) only three men every understood it: Prince Albert, who was dead; a German (in some versions Danish) professor who went mad; and Pam himself, who'd forgotten everything he ever knew about it.

BTW (and also FYI) one MP in Hungary was just elected on similar basis, as representative of German minority. Though in Hungarian case, this is likely just way of ensuring more seat for Orban, helping insure his legislative super-majority.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Britain deserves better.

'Perhaps president Trump would be better placed to have formulated a policy on Ukraine if he wasn't constantly fending off federal investigations for tax evasion?

It's not just that you're a crook, Mr President, it's that you've made every American less safe because you're too busy lining your own pockets to deal with the threats we face.'
    A couple of years ago, I would have said the Republicans had the better young rising stars. Now, with Buttigieg and Ossoff, I'd say the Democrats have the edge.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,418

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.
    [snip]

No, they've said that it's only for single men - families will not be split up or sent to Rwanda.

However, as Theresa May pointed out, what that actually means is there will be a perverse incentive for the migrants to bring their wives and children with them, rather than hoping to bring them here later. So probably more deaths of children.

Personally I think the whole policy is a charade. I don't think anyone in government can seriously believe this nonsense is going to fly. I think they are hoping it will be struck down in the courts, so they can blame Labour-supporting do-gooders, lefty lawyers, and other enemies of the people for the failure to deal with the issue.

As Yvette Cooper said, a bloody expensive press release, if we do indeed fork out £120 million up-front to Rwanda as a non-refundable bung.
    On one hand, I agree.

On the other hand, there have been lots of cases where "I don't think anyone in government can seriously believe this nonsense is going to fly" hasn't stopped the Johnson adminstration trying.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

COVID hospitalisation is upto 75% incidental admissions, consistently 50-60%. That's not helpful hospitals themselves having to work around this, but saying 20,000 people are in hospital for COVID and 200 dying isn't painting a true picture.

And I would be interested to know of those there not incidentally, how many are still bloody people who aren't fully jabbed up. Also, be interesting to know what the uptake on jab 4 is. I don't think the government have pushed that message hard enough.

Yes, excellent post.

One thing I do think is there has been drift on jab four. Regarding Covid’s severity, it’s inarguably been defanged. It can be nasty, but it rarely is for most people these days.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

You sick bastard.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Wait, do you mean to say it's right to keep refugees out? So if Poland could, they should?
    No. I mean that if we can enforce our border rules then we should do so. Quite right that we have amended those rules too.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Having just caught up with today's exchanges in the HoC, I have come to the conclusion that Boris is really, genuinely sorry.

That he got caught.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199

Someone tried asking that question with a Freedom of Information request in December 2021, but HMG basically said they didn't know.

You'd think it would be bloody important to know.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Ireland has received over 20,000.
    I think the UK is still in low 4 figures.

So you’re geography argument doesn’t hold up much, and morally let’s just say I disagree vigorously that it is “right” not to accept them.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.

You sick bastard.
    Now be fair. At least when you fly out of Manchester you're leaving the place.

A better system would be to fly them into it and see how many immediately demanded to be put on the next flight back to where they came from...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,144

There is a lingering feeling that PBers are less keen on moving on from covid than the public at large. The statistics are clear: it’s less risky than influenza and has been for some time.

Compared to diet sage PBers are positively relaxed about Covid.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    Just did a short interview for tonight’s @BBCNewsnight on what #partygate means for the Conservative Party’s electability and the risk it is now sleepwalking to defeat at the next general election - clip on later this evening
    https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1516486881017540609
  • Options
    Apparently there’s a national tomato shortage.

Nothing to do with Brexit. Nothing to do with Spanish exporters refusing to try and get their produce into the UK, after repeatedly seeing their produce rot and have to be fed to French pigs. Pay no attention to the heaving shelves on the continent.

Just believe harder. Unicorns are coming.

It’s not like tomatoes are essential.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Oh, and I've just caught up with Patel as well. Astonishing. Apparently, we don't want to release too many details on the Rwandan scheme because if we do, the criminal gangs will exploit any loophole in the law.

It's rather like introducing fines for speeding, but not telling motorists what the speed limits are.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    Wow! Jacob Rees-Mogg has just told ⁦@AndrewMarr9⁩ to “get a sense of perspective” about his father’s funeral on the week of one of the No 10 lockdown parties. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-tells-andrew-26748772
  • Options

The difference with covid and influenza is not just severity, now more or less equal in the immunised, it is the neurological features. Influenza tends to full recovery, while for many the neurological legacy of covid in terms of headache, myalgia, fatigue, dizziness, loss of smell is prolonged.
  • Options
    Pensfold said:

Farooq said:

theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

20,000 currently in hospital and over 200 deaths per day from COVID in the UK. Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Biggest question right now is what to tailor the autumn vaccines against. Hopefully it will still be omicron, but a new variant can’t be ruled out.
  • Options

Oh, and I've just caught up with Patel as well. Astonishing. Apparently, we don't want to release too many details on the Rwandan scheme because if we do, the criminal gangs will exploit any loophole in the law.

It's rather like introducing fines for speeding, but not telling motorists what the speed limits are.

I thought that was roughly what they do on the M6 from West Brom to Stafford?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Compared to diet sage PBers are positively relaxed about Covid.
    Indeed so. But everything, as they say, is relative.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Britain deserves better.

A couple of years ago, I would have said the Republicans had the better young rising stars. Now, with Buttigieg and Ossoff, I'd say the Democrats have the edge.
    Cherchez la femme. En plus du VP.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,936

Fuck right off.
    This is an abomination.
    [snip]

No, they've said that it's only for single men - families will not be split up or sent to Rwanda.

However, as Theresa May pointed out, what that actually means is there will be a perverse incentive for the migrants to bring their wives and children with them, rather than hoping to bring them here later. So probably more deaths of children.

Personally I think the whole policy is a charade. I don't think anyone in government can seriously believe this nonsense is going to fly. I think they are hoping it will be struck down in the courts, so they can blame Labour-supporting do-gooders, lefty lawyers, and other enemies of the people for the failure to deal with the issue.

As Yvette Cooper said, a bloody expensive press release, if we do indeed fork out £120 million up-front to Rwanda as a non-refundable bung.
    Yes, this is culture war shit stirring by a tired government that apparently has nothing else left to offer except rousing the faithful with outraged stories about asylum seekers / economic migrants or gender/sexuality wars. Prepare for a series of dead cats in various states of decay as we get closer to the next general election; I preduct it‘s going to be an exceptionally pungent time.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Cicero - thanks again for your worthwhile remarks. Could the west be supplying more weapons? Definitely. The Germans need to get in line with their public opinion. France seems a bit passive. We could ALL do more (well maybe not Estonia). I wouldn't be panicking though. Russia could make a breakthrough in Donbass but it will come at a cost. A new assault on Kiev? I can't really see it. It would make Mariupol look like a picnic. So long as the west doesn't get complacent and Putin can't get air supremacy the major cities seem safe.

An oil embargo and a serious gas reduction plan would help too.

I'm surprised that Germany hasn't worked out just how much economic damage this war is doing, and will continue to do.
    The benefits to them ((and the rest of us) of helping rapidly to defeat the invasion are as much economic as anything else.
  • Options

Ignorance is no defence.

I think speed limits should be left vague and depend on conditions. Basically allow the police the power to stop any car at any speed and to give a ticket.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199
    edited April 2022
    Foxy said:

The difference with covid and influenza is not just severity, now more or less equal in the immunised, it is the neurological features. Influenza tends to full recovery, while for many the neurological legacy of covid in terms of headache, myalgia, fatigue, dizziness, loss of smell is prolonged.
    Do you have any clear statistics on what the legacy symptoms are, frequency and duration?

It is something that greatly worries my wife, and I have no idea what the risks are.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

“while for many” …

For what proportion of them is it prolonged?
  • Options
    I don’t think the Tories are sleepwalking to defeat. I think most of them know full well.

The problem is it requires not just awareness but a backbone.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Ireland has received over 20,000.
    I think the UK is still in low 4 figures.

So you’re geography argument doesn’t hold up much, and morally let’s just say I disagree vigorously that it is “right” not to accept them.
    Ireland has the EU's policy. No choice. We're quite distant from any stream of refugees and we have a set of rules. We should modify and have modified the rules to make sure that many Ukranians can seek refuge here.

Whilst we don't need to throw the rulebook out of the window then I don't think we should.

The idea that I'd suggest that we shouldn't accept refugees is frankly insulting.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Paging Leon....

Inpainting with DALL·E 2 is super fun. With some ingenuity, you can create arbitrarily large artwork like the murals shown below – which I assume are the largest #dalle-produced images created so far.

https://twitter.com/_dschnurr/status/1516449112673071106?s=20&t=zhcYF14SLxwUpYW2Jl0pqA
  • Options

Nothing to do with Brexit. Nothing to do with Spanish exporters refusing to try and get their produce into the UK, after repeatedly seeing their produce rot and have to be fed to French pigs. Pay no attention to the heaving shelves on the continent.

Not much lettuce either.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,104

I can report that German shops have no shortages at all, although this may be because they are never open!
  • Options
    Even HYUFD seems dimly aware that he is heading toward gotterdammerung.

At least, until the chip kicks in.
This discussion has been closed.