Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

No more polls after tomorrow in the French election – politicalbetting.com

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

Pelosi has covid.

Asymptomatic so far.

Given that literally everyone in the whole world will get covid at some point (probably soon), these updates of so-and-so has covid seem rather passe these days. I mean I - Anabobazina - have covid, but I keep forgetting about it.
    Just had an email from one of my students who has just tested positive, so he’s shafted now until after Easter. Still not tested positive personally, but I’ve never been much for testing (about eight times in total). I guess my time will come.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Foxy said:

Fun fact I just read on Twitter.
    Tokyo builds more houses each year than the whole UK does, tho UK is 4x bigger.

House prices in Tokyo haven’t moved in 25 years.

With their deflation, declining population and stagnant economy that surely is to be expected.
    Strange that they build so much, then.
    (Yes I know they build differently).
    Very differently:

In the end, most of these prefabricated houses – and indeed most houses in Japan – have a lifespan of only about 30 years.

Unlike in other countries, Japanese homes gradually depreciate over time, becoming completely valueless within 20 or 30 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/nov/16/japan-reusable-housing-revolution#:~:text=In the end, most of,within 20 or 30 years.
    I want to question the Guardian on this.

Most people in Tokyo live in apartments. Are these multi-family units all torn down after 30 years?

It’s seems difficult to accredit,
    Calling EdwardInTokyo...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

@Leon you are right about the M&S sandwiches, we posted the same thing at the same time.

But, no, you can’t just pull into, say Nelson in Lancashire, and expect to find a decent “sit-down” meal.

Whereas in my experience in provincial France you can.
    Provided it’s at the right time of day!

I’ve never even heard of Nelson. On investigation it’s a tiny town of 30k people

I agree that in this situation you will maybe do better in Italy or even France, but how many people live in or need to eat in, towns of that size??

Moreover, due to Britain being so densely populated, you will nearly always be near a larger town ten minutes away, which will have all you need

According to TripAdvisor this is the best resto in Nelson, and this is their menu

https://www.acecentre.co.uk/site_assets/files/ACE Bistro Menu - Jan20 (web).pdf

That’s quite tolerable. I’d have the haddock fish cake and then the lamb skewers. For 12 quid

Nelson also has a Chinese. Which will probably be serviceable. I bet the French town of 30k people does not
    You and I both know that that menu screams frozen bought in stuff to reheat or fry up.

But good selection, probably the only real option. Unless you make in time for the full English breakfast.
    Are you so silly you don’t think most French bistros buy in frozen shit and do exactly the same? Do you really believe that cute French resto in a town of 30,000 people has a team of cheap labourers (in France! Lol) slicing the shallots and reducing the jus?

It is such a problem in France they have had to bring in laws to mark out the places that don’t do this

You are serious and oddly naive

“Earlier this week, top French chef Xavier Denamur claimed that three-quarters of meals served in French restaurants, brasseries and cafes are shipped from a factory and microwaved. It's not the first time in recent years that the once untouchable French Restaurant has taken a good bashing.”

https://www.independent.ie/life/precooked-microwaved-and-very-expensive-31148329.html

Indeed and Parisian restaurants serving the reheated crap railed against the regulations to mark out what was prepared on site and what wasn't. Even at a basic bloody Nandos they grill the chicken on site, but in scores of Parisian restaurants (supposedly a global leader in cuisine) they were simply defrosting and microwaving pre-prepared dishes and serving them to unsuspecting punters.

In London you can walk around and go to most reasonable looking restaurants and get something decent, if you know where to go it can range from decent to incredible even on a reasonable budget. In Paris I don't think this is possible any longer, especially not on a budget.
    This is why i always, in France, go for the grand old brasseries, especially the ones with seafood - oysters and cockles and clams on display

They make enough money they don’t need to overcharge and they are so big they can afford proper staff, And you can’t freeze a fucking oyster without ruining it

Have oysters and fruits de mer than andouilettes with chips and mustard. Bottle of house red. Sorted. Proper Gallic Happiness

I miss France
    Hmm.

Seems we have pretty much identical tastes, at least as regarding brasserie food.

You can get andouillette - or you could before the pandemic - at Brasserie Zedel Near Piccadilly Circus.

(Weeps tears of food nostalgia).
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909

If the Sunak-Murtys have “no firm plans” to stay in Britain, will Sunak please resign and just fuck off?

He has no moral right to impose taxation on the British people, let alone the very poorest, whom he seems to have chosen to punish.

Can only a poor person govern now? Have we come to this?
    No. Labourites are fine with rich and posh people. As long as they are Labourites. People from the same background who support other parties are scum.
    More reverse genius from you on the very same day you made the case for a privatised railway with an exemplar that was - er - a nationalised railway. Bad day at the office. Tomorrow is another day.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

One of the true and legitimate wonders of the UK is M&S.

You can get a hoisin duck wrap or a roast beef and horseradish sandwich of v good quality the length and breadth of the land, and I don’t think this is true of any other country I’ve been to.

Bizarrely Boots sandwiches are also pretty good, and excellent value in their meal deal. Not sure why.
    Boots seem to be closing some of their branches. Such as the one in Ilford North (Barkingside), and another in Westminster (of all places).
  • Options

Devenir Gris

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    MaxPB said:

I do really like that about Greece, all of the restaurants have to mark out what is cooked from frozen, it just gives everyone notice of what not to bother ordering. I think we should bring the same rules in over here to encourage more fresh food.

Didn't know this. Interesting idea.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

You can get a hoisin duck wrap or a roast beef and horseradish sandwich of v good quality the length and breadth of the land, and I don’t think this is true of any other country I’ve been to.

Bizarrely Boots sandwiches are also pretty good, and excellent value in their meal deal. Not sure why.
    Boots seem to be closing some of their branches. Such as the one in Ilford North (Barkingside), and another in Westminster (of all places).
    That may be related to changes in the pharmacy side of the business. I think home delivery for prescriptions is biting for some places.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

The other week at Leeds station I discovered that the Boots meal deal was cheaper than the Sainsbury's version. Tasty sandwich, and it's closer to the ticket barrier.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

If the Sunak-Murtys have “no firm plans” to stay in Britain, will Sunak please resign and just fuck off?

He has no moral right to impose taxation on the British people, let alone the very poorest, whom he seems to have chosen to punish.

I still can't see the traction in this given that he is a tory - this is what they do, and people still vote for them anyway. The scheme is lawful, and organised by the government.
    And, as far as I can tell, Labour don't want to get rid of non dom status.
    I should bloody well hope not. That really would be cutting off our noses to spite our feet.

Most of the commentary about non-dom status has been extremely ill-informed, but in the particular case of Mrs Sunak that is irrelevant, it's politically a non-starter to have someone in Rishi's position as party leader.
    OR as Chancellor of the Exchequer.
    The question I'm not musing on is how far up the greasy pole someone in Sunak's position can ascend without it looking awful.

Before the just passing through comment, I suspect Cabinet-but-not-to-do-with-money. Skin in the game and all that.

But if Mr S is tied to Mrs S (and I hope so) and Mrs S sees herself tied to India more than Britain, then sorry Rishi, you don't get to run the country, because of the likelihood of you going somewhere else. It's not a major deprivation; lots of people who want to be MPs and ministers don't get the chance either.

Someone must have known the facts of this all along. And the political consequences are obvious. What the hell were the Conservatives thinking?
    That they can get away with it. Because fan boys will always find obscure reasons, like critics are being racist, or sexist, or trying to steal Indian taxes.
    Trying to steal Indian taxes is a great one.

Once you see that, you realise that the poster is basically a malevolent idiot.
    I don’t think I’m a malevolent idiot, but I’m just raising arguments against yours. You believe it’s untenable, I don’t. I think it may harm his electoral prospects. And that may mean he won’t get to be pm. Fine. But please don’t just insult someone for having a different viewpoint, or even just raising possible points. Otherwise a discussion never happens.
    Did you claim that if Ms Murty were to regularise her status in the UK it would deprive India of taxes?

I don’t see it in this nested thread.

If you did, perhaps elsewhere, them I’m afraid I stand by my point. It’s a gratuitously bad faith argument to make.
    I did claim that, but I am not well versed in tax affairs. Is your case that she should pay twice? In the U.K. and in India?
    I wonder how much tax she does actually pay in India on her Indian income. Or might we find that affairs have been arranged so that little or none is paid there either?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

@Leon you are right about the M&S sandwiches, we posted the same thing at the same time.

But, no, you can’t just pull into, say Nelson in Lancashire, and expect to find a decent “sit-down” meal.

I’ve never even heard of Nelson. On investigation it’s a tiny town of 30k people

I agree that in this situation you will maybe do better in Italy or even France, but how many people live in or need to eat in, towns of that size??

Moreover, due to Britain being so densely populated, you will nearly always be near a larger town ten minutes away, which will have all you need

According to TripAdvisor this is the best resto in Nelson, and this is their menu

That’s quite tolerable. I’d have the haddock fish cake and then the lamb skewers. For 12 quid

Nelson also has a Chinese. Which will probably be serviceable. I bet the French town of 30k people does not
    You and I both know that that menu screams frozen bought in stuff to reheat or fry up.

But good selection, probably the only real option. Unless you make in time for the full English breakfast.
    Are you so silly you don’t think most French bistros buy in frozen shit and do exactly the same? Do you really believe that cute French resto in a town of 30,000 people has a team of cheap labourers (in France! Lol) slicing the shallots and reducing the jus?

It is such a problem in France they have had to bring in laws to mark out the places that don’t do this

“Earlier this week, top French chef Xavier Denamur claimed that three-quarters of meals served in French restaurants, brasseries and cafes are shipped from a factory and microwaved. It's not the first time in recent years that the once untouchable French Restaurant has taken a good bashing.”

https://www.independent.ie/life/precooked-microwaved-and-very-expensive-31148329.html

Indeed and Parisian restaurants serving the reheated crap railed against the regulations to mark out what was prepared on site and what wasn't. Even at a basic bloody Nandos they grill the chicken on site, but in scores of Parisian restaurants (supposedly a global leader in cuisine) they were simply defrosting and microwaving pre-prepared dishes and serving them to unsuspecting punters.

In London you can walk around and go to most reasonable looking restaurants and get something decent, if you know where to go it can range from decent to incredible even on a reasonable budget. In Paris I don't think this is possible any longer, especially not on a budget.
    This is why i always, in France, go for the grand old brasseries, especially the ones with seafood - oysters and cockles and clams on display

They make enough money they don’t need to overcharge and they are so big they can afford proper staff, And you can’t freeze a fucking oyster without ruining it

Have oysters and fruits de mer than andouilettes with chips and mustard. Bottle of house red. Sorted. Proper Gallic Happiness

I miss France
    Hmm.

Seems we have pretty much identical tastes, at least as regarding brasserie food.

You can get andouillette - or you could before the pandemic - at Brasserie Zedel Near Piccadilly Circus.

How's the food in NYC atm, I've heard from colleagues that it's back to pre-pandemic levels and lots of new places have started appearing again.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Just pouring down on his head tonight...

Helena Wilkinson
    @BBCHelena
    ·
    38s
    Friday’s i: Sunak vetoed extra help on energy bills #tomorrowspaperstoday

Martin Callanan pointed the finger in the Lords today. Said that they wanted to do more on energy efficiency but were blocked by the Treasury.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I miss France
    Hmm.

How's the food in NYC atm, I've heard from colleagues that it's back to pre-pandemic levels and lots of new places have started appearing again.
    Unimpressive so far.

Yes, restaurants have opened back up properly. But downtown is still at 40% pre-pandemic occupancy, last I looked.

Admittedly I’ve had little time for proper dining.
    A lot of family restaurant stuff; all that exciting stuff is ahead of you.

I miss pubs.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited April 2022
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

it’s that time of the decade when Simon Jenkins writes his Falklands article again

“British sovereignty over the Falklands is an absurd imperial hangover that must end”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/07/british-sovereignty-falklands-absurd-imperial-hangover-argentina?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The unsophisticated islanders desire to remain British of course irrelevant in his elite liberal eyes
    The British troops certainly had a sense of humour. They called the Falkland Islanders 'Stills'. Initially they called them 'Bennies' after Benny in Crossroads. The officers banned the use of the term Bennies so they called them Stills because they were 'Still Bennies'. Having had a slight work contact with the Falklands and also some soldiers who went there I think it is fair to say they aren't the brightest buttons in the box.
    So what, they still want to remain British and we have an obligation to ensure they remain British. No matter the sneers of the British liberal elites and the desires of the Argentine government
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909

Pelosi has covid.

Asymptomatic so far.

Given that literally everyone in the whole world will get covid at some point (probably soon), these updates of so-and-so has covid seem rather passe these days. I mean I - Anabobazina - have covid, but I keep forgetting about it.
    Just had an email from one of my students who has just tested positive, so he’s shafted now until after Easter. Still not tested positive personally, but I’ve never been much for testing (about eight times in total). I guess my time will come.
    Only while he has symptoms. And while you have symptoms you won’t much want to go to work/college anyway. When you feel better, you can go out.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

I still can't see the traction in this given that he is a tory - this is what they do, and people still vote for them anyway. The scheme is lawful, and organised by the government.
    I should bloody well hope not. That really would be cutting off our noses to spite our feet.

Most of the commentary about non-dom status has been extremely ill-informed, but in the particular case of Mrs Sunak that is irrelevant, it's politically a non-starter to have someone in Rishi's position as party leader.
    The question I'm not musing on is how far up the greasy pole someone in Sunak's position can ascend without it looking awful.

Before the just passing through comment, I suspect Cabinet-but-not-to-do-with-money. Skin in the game and all that.

But if Mr S is tied to Mrs S (and I hope so) and Mrs S sees herself tied to India more than Britain, then sorry Rishi, you don't get to run the country, because of the likelihood of you going somewhere else. It's not a major deprivation; lots of people who want to be MPs and ministers don't get the chance either.

Someone must have known the facts of this all along. And the political consequences are obvious. What the hell were the Conservatives thinking?
    That they can get away with it. Because fan boys will always find obscure reasons, like critics are being racist, or sexist, or trying to steal Indian taxes.

I don’t think I’m a malevolent idiot, but I’m just raising arguments against yours. You believe it’s untenable, I don’t. I think it may harm his electoral prospects. And that may mean he won’t get to be pm. Fine. But please don’t just insult someone for having a different viewpoint, or even just raising possible points. Otherwise a discussion never happens.
    Did you claim that if Ms Murty were to regularise her status in the UK it would deprive India of taxes?

If you did, perhaps elsewhere, them I’m afraid I stand by my point. It’s a gratuitously bad faith argument to make.
    I did claim that, but I am not well versed in tax affairs. Is your case that she should pay twice? In the U.K. and in India?
    I wonder how much tax she does actually pay in India on her Indian income. Or might we find that affairs have been arranged so that little or none is paid there either?
    It's possible. I'm not usually one for blaming the system but I doubt she is anything out of the ordinary amongst the very wealthy. How long has she been living here? A good few years I assume. If she isn't a British citizen does she have settled status? How can she be non-domiciled? That's absurd.
  • Options

Devenir Gris

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916

No. Labourites are fine with rich and posh people. As long as they are Labourites. People from the same background who support other parties are scum.
    More reverse genius from you on the very same day you made the case for a privatised railway with an exemplar that was - er - a nationalised railway. Bad day at the office. Tomorrow is another day.
    @Anabobazina

You are being foolish. Go back and read what I wrote and *learn*.

Or are you a 'genius' who believes that only infrastructure causes accidents?
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

Just pouring down on his head tonight...

Helena Wilkinson
    @BBCHelena
    ·
    38s
    Friday’s i: Sunak vetoed extra help on energy bills #tomorrowspaperstoday

Martin Callanan pointed the finger in the Lords today. Said that they wanted to do more on energy efficiency but were blocked by the Treasury.
    The treasury doing its job. Who knew?
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I miss France
    They have oysters in the UK.
  • Options

"if only we could warm people's cold homes with Tory hot air"

Thornberry.

Not a bad line.

What's wrong with global warming instead?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

darkage said:

It's possible. I'm not usually one for blaming the system but I doubt she is anything out of the ordinary amongst the very wealthy. How long has she been living here? A good few years I assume. If she isn't a British citizen does she have settled status? How can she be non-domiciled? That's absurd.
    They previously lived in California and paid US tax.
  • Options
    SUPERKEVSUPERKEV Posts: 4
    Macron at least 65 -35 and Trump by a landslide as Biden useless. Putin wouldn't have messed about with him.
This discussion has been closed.