Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The fog of war – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,968
    The EU bans RT

When Indy Scot joins the EU, Wee Eck would be banned.

Worth a point or two...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Swedish PM:

Sweden to send Ukraine cash, helmets and anti-tank weapons.

Will Putin consider this to be military assistance? If so, this may be the last you’ll ever hear from this particular troublesome Jock.

was for these unintended consequences the phrase “give war a chance” was invented.

I may be drunk. I may be Christian. And this may be too deep. But this is God’s design. For all the pain, good can come from it too. Like people being brought back together, or finding each other for the first time, or seeing clearly, and connecting with their cause. (And cantankerous ex pat jocks with rubbish avatar they should have changed ages ago now disappearing off our site) good consequences. What befell Stephen may have been violent and horrible, but the consequence it proved catalyst to spread the good news around the world.

God designed the storms of winter, so we can know spring again.
    Which Stephen? The protomartyr bloke? what has he to do with it?

Here's a feelgood piece of folklore

"In Ireland the holiday [boxing day] is sometimes called Wren Day, because in the past a wren would be killed and taken door-to-door by children asking for money in exchange for a wren’s feather, which people believed brought good luck."

I cannot imagine anything more sweet, harmless and deserving love and protection than a wren in the depths of winter. I wish the story were not true at all or at least not true of our neighbours.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265

IshmaelZ said:

I have some feeling the moment of worst danger is over. i hope I'm right,

Opposite here. It's all going too well. Expecting a great clunking fist, not nuclear but say an overnight carpet bombing of Kyiv.
    That could still happen. I have some feeling that the nuclear danger has subsided slightly, though.
    I wish I shared your confidence.

Am I the only one running through my plans for "what would we (Mrs. P and I) do in the event of a full-scale nuclear war"?

(Hint, none of the options involve long-term survival).
    No you're not. I have been too. Thinking about bunker preparation, not that I really have one and what supplies to get.

We're teetering on the edge here with a total madman.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:
    Not sure having the government deciding who can or cannot broadcast is a good thing. An arms-length regulator is a much better idea.
    I find this kind of wishy-washy sentimentalism over civil liberties when the whole western world is getting sucked into an actual war on the ground, which has just been taken to a whole different nuclear threat level, naive and touching.

Have you looked at the stuff coming out on RT? Some of it is utterly disgraceful. There is NO place for RT to be broadcasting at the present time.

When Putin removes Russian troops from Ukraine, fine they can re-broadcast.
    Though it is worth pointing out that we never made it illegal to listen to Lord Haw Haw in WW2. I think you probably need to give people some credit for their ability to discern propaganda. The more important point is the one made earlier that a tit for tat would cut off many Russians from the BBC which is an important source of information.
    That’s the one I posted? To be fair and honest I didn’t think it up - a Conservative MP tweeted it days ago when Starmer was insisting on immediate ban, and it made sense to me when I read it because the MP added the German banned it earlier this week, and that was the immediate Russian response.

On the other hand though, it seems odd Putin has banned his troops from having mobile phones, but is still allowing everyone in his country unfettered access to BBC news channel? We might actually do the banning before him, even though like you say Richard, our people have so much free access to range of news sources, why does our government not trust us?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Foxy said:

Yokes said:

nico679 said:

Yokes said:

If you were Zelenskyy right now, would you go to the Belarus border for a meeting right now? Highly risky

As mentioned yesterday, President Big Hat is due to commit forces over the next 48-72 hours and that has been confirmed by the Ukrainians this afternoon, who said they had reports of Belarus forces prepping. This might be an important addition because it potentially enables the opening of a new front, if the Belarus military can fight.

I don’t think he’s going . That would be far too risky and so I would have thought he’s sending representatives.
    Even that's risky for tracking reasons. I suspect the Russians cant find him or his ministers as no indication of a deliberate strike against him. I thought the GRU operating incognito in Kiev might have given such an assault a crack early on but a lot of them appear to have picked up.

Just one other note: I see occasional comments about the idea of Russian poor conscripts who barely know the right end of a gun being thrown into this conflict. The Russian military in-theater is majority contract professionals.
    An interesting clip here. A Russian column being turned around by a bunch of civilians refusing to get out of the road.

https://twitter.com/IrmatovUzbek/status/1497968372910374918?t=pSR_NRzpNtpJMFvMlM_1UQ&s=19
    Maybe we should send t-shirts that the Russian troops could be offered. For all of us our best defence against all this crap is that you can't find people prepared to attack others at the behest of mad-men.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Belarus poised to declare war on Ukraine as special forces are 'loaded onto planes in preparation for major air assault on Kyiv'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10557221/Ukraine-war-Belarus-poised-declare-war-special-forces-loaded-planes-in.html

Yep it's not just the nuclear threat, we are right on the verge of a huge escalation dragging in other countries.

The western world, probably the whole world, stands right now on the edge of a precipice.

The best hope is that Russian generals see sense and remove the madman. We need to incentivise them to do so.
    Yes. This feels awfully dangerous now. We are one or two geopolitical missteps from a massive war across eastern Europe. And a couple more errors from actual nuclear conflict

When it comes nuclear war will be quick - Hopefully governments in the west are toning down their (understandable) reaction so far and offering Putin a way out .Its sad but Ukraine holding out has made the world a more dangerous place. Escalation here can go exponentially within a couple of hours
    Not another one!
    No-one on this forum has experienced the horrors of war. Iam a man of peace and want a solution hence we must listen to russias concerns before disaster engulfs the west
    O man of peace; Could you just remind us what was the Russian concern which will be solved for them by an ultra violent invasion of a UN recognised non NATO sovereign country bigger than France?

Invasion was sadly a last resort...Putin felt he wasn't listened to and got angry and lashed out
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha!
    I know. My two-year-old used to do the same when I told her she couldn't have things, so obviously I finished up giving her everything she wanted.

She launched wars of aggression ?
    Disturbing precocity.
    :-) Yes, I see I phrased that poorly but you know what I mean....
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,344
    edited February 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Opposite here. It's all going too well. Expecting a great clunking fist, not nuclear but say an overnight carpet bombing of Kyiv.
    That could still happen. I have some feeling that the nuclear danger has subsided slightly, though.

Am I the only one running through my plans for "what would we (Mrs. P and I) do in the event of a full-scale nuclear war"?

Given my own proximity to a likely nuclear target, my plan is to spread myself thinly over a radius of 3 square miles.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited February 2022

Swedish PM:

Sweden will not be joining NATO.

Not sure it’s her decision to make. She’ll probably be out of office in September.

The polls show S+V usually ahead of M+KD+C by a few points, so a change probably depends on willingness of the Moderates to team up with the Sweden Democrats. Have they softened on that?
    Oh goodness yes.

One of the several reasons I did not renew my membership 3 years ago (previously M councillor).

(It isn’t M+KD+C you should be looking at but M+KD+SD.)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429

I would just like to thank everyone who has commented on or liked our news of our 5th grandchild on the way for 1st Sept

This is such an amazing forum as we collectively, across the political divide, come together to celebrate good news

The very best of PB

I missed this earlier so many congratulations Big_G. It is very true to say it gives everyone that little bit of hope in dark times.
    +1
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    https://twitter.com/maraj60/status/1497994318916767747

General of the Russian army rumoured to have been sacked.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Belarus poised to declare war on Ukraine as special forces are 'loaded onto planes in preparation for major air assault on Kyiv'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10557221/Ukraine-war-Belarus-poised-declare-war-special-forces-loaded-planes-in.html

Yep it's not just the nuclear threat, we are right on the verge of a huge escalation dragging in other countries.

The western world, probably the whole world, stands right now on the edge of a precipice.

The best hope is that Russian generals see sense and remove the madman. We need to incentivise them to do so.
    Yes. This feels awfully dangerous now. We are one or two geopolitical missteps from a massive war across eastern Europe. And a couple more errors from actual nuclear conflict

When it comes nuclear war will be quick - Hopefully governments in the west are toning down their (understandable) reaction so far and offering Putin a way out .Its sad but Ukraine holding out has made the world a more dangerous place. Escalation here can go exponentially within a couple of hours
    Not another one!
    No-one on this forum has experienced the horrors of war. Iam a man of peace and want a solution hence we must listen to russias concerns before disaster engulfs the west
    O man of peace; Could you just remind us what was the Russian concern which will be solved for them by an ultra violent invasion of a UN recognised non NATO sovereign country bigger than France?

Invasion was sadly a last resort...Putin felt he wasn't listened to and got angry and lashed out
    “I did not believe my threats were being taken seriously enough so I felt I had no alternative but to carry out a violent armed robbery.”

As excuses go, it lacks a certain something.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Apparently the Russians have form for kidnapping when inviting people to talks. I hope Zelensky is careful or not going himself.

No way he goes himself. Even if they kept their word on his safety DURING the talks it would expose his location afterwards.
    I wouldn't do it, even if I had Raven's deadman's switch....
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641
    Thoughts on oligarchs, Kremlin officials and sanctions or asset seizures.

Maybe it does make sense to hold off with some of them.

The best hope for Russia and the rest of us is that someone on the inside instigates a palace coup and removes Putin. Then the way is open for a reset of relations with the West.

We know Russian government has become a Mafia racket. The trouble is I expect there are few of any senior politicians or military leaders who are a. capable of being Brutus, b. squeaky clean when it comes to snouts in the trough.

Somehow a bunch of pretty financially dubious individuals are going to need to conclude that life is better off without their protector Putin. That’s not going to happen if they think on day 1 after his fall the SEC, fraud squad or Italian fiscal police are going to be knocking on their door.

For the sake of world peace we might need to accept some don’t ask don’t tell murky deals here.
  • Options
    Vladimir Putin has killed Swedish neutrality and German pacifism in a single weekend
    https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1497995242863308809
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,638
    PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!
    When you say no one on this forum has experienced the horrors of war I was just wondering how you know that. Do you get a database on all of us supplied to you? If you do it might need updating because I can think of one who definitely has and another who probably has and there may be others, but unfortunately I am not supplied with the info to confirm that.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    edited February 2022

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

huge breaking news at BP:

- BP to exit its 20% stake in Russian oil giant Rosneft

- BP chief executive Bernard Looney to resign from board of Rosneft with immediate effect

- https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1497980539483172872

Wow. That's absolutely huge. Good on BP shareholders for forcing the issue.
    Who are they going to sell it to?
    No one. They are writing it off.
    Isn’t that effectively transferring a certain fraction of the worth of the company to the Russians?
    Yes it all goes back to Rosneft. But the reason BP would have been involved was capital investment that was needed to run operations and upon which they get a return. By pulling out they are helping to isolate Rosneft from the investment sources they need to continue to operate. BP are taking a hit here but it seriously undermines the viability of Rosneft and their ability to operate.
    Historically it goes back to the joint venture TNK-BP of which Putin was not a fan, and which was "bought" by Rosneft. On the question of the free gift to the Kremlin, yes, but sanctions are a blunt tool.

ETA using "it goes back" differently from RT, so not disagreeing with him.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,665
    It's disappointing that only 44% think being in NATO makes us safer.
  • Options
    Pray for Kyiv

The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

⚡️⚡️⚡️Air raid alert in Kyiv.

People must urgently go to the nearest shelter.
    6:05 PM · Feb 27, 2022·Twitter Web App
    https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497996321516568579
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Yes, I’m just starting to do this. Need to work out when the trigger point would be to put into action. The sound of sirens would be somewhat too late.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993

RobD said:

We’ve now had 72 (seventy-two) VI polls in a row with LAB in the lead. A remarkable series.

Statistics being what they are, you’d have expected at least one blip in such a long series?

You certainly wouldn’t expect that if the lead is large.
    I am expecting some big, big Conservative VI leads. Circumstances are currently Johnson's friend.
    Surely people are not that stupid.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Yokes said:

nico679 said:

Yokes said:

If you were Zelenskyy right now, would you go to the Belarus border for a meeting right now? Highly risky

As mentioned yesterday, President Big Hat is due to commit forces over the next 48-72 hours and that has been confirmed by the Ukrainians this afternoon, who said they had reports of Belarus forces prepping. This might be an important addition because it potentially enables the opening of a new front, if the Belarus military can fight.

I don’t think he’s going . That would be far too risky and so I would have thought he’s sending representatives.
    Even that's risky for tracking reasons. I suspect the Russians cant find him or his ministers as no indication of a deliberate strike against him. I thought the GRU operating incognito in Kiev might have given such an assault a crack early on but a lot of them appear to have picked up.

Just one other note: I see occasional comments about the idea of Russian poor conscripts who barely know the right end of a gun being thrown into this conflict. The Russian military in-theater is majority contract professionals.
    Sensible caution - but I don’t think Ukraine has many illusions about these negotiations.
    Here’s a message from the deputy defence minister to his Belarus counterpart (with whom he was in cadet school):
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1497983601887043584
  • Options

IMV the longer Putin rants and raves about nukes in the manner he is, the less likely he is to be able to use them. Sane people in the Russian chain of command are more likely to see sense.

What worries me is a quick, impromptu usage.

The trouble is, that was the same argument I stood by in disbelieving Putin would actually invade. I thought it was militarily too dicey and that he couldn't be that stupid.

I was completely wrong. Mind you, I did at least change my mind when I saw that crazed speech to the nation. He's gone doolally.

I don't trust myself now to believe that the 'good natured' generals will hold back if Putin orders it, especially when Russian blood is being spilled.

I think we're on the edge of a precipice.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think people are about to associate it with solidarity against a threat again, having previously started to associate it with Afghanistan. Give it a few days.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Given my own proximity to a likely nuclear target, my plan is to spread myself thinly over a radius of 3 square miles.
    I'm right bang in the middle of a target, too. I remember staring mesmerised at a book as a child, meant for teenagers, about which parts of the country were most dangerous in the event of nuclear war, and having nightmares about it.

For some reason though, I feel as if that's about three times less likely than it was just a few hours ago. Let's hope so !
  • Options

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha!
    I know. My two-year-old used to do the same when I told her she couldn't have things, so obviously I finished up giving her everything she wanted.

Your two-year-old threatened to nuke you if she couldn't have some sweeties?
    Happened in my house all the time. Wake up of a Saturday morning, have to talk a toddler down from destroying half the universe because it was the wrong colour when she woke up.

Basic parenting stuff. You really get to know which is the red wire......
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

numpty
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:
    Not sure having the government deciding who can or cannot broadcast is a good thing. An arms-length regulator is a much better idea.
    I find this kind of wishy-washy sentimentalism over civil liberties when the whole western world is getting sucked into an actual war on the ground, which has just been taken to a whole different nuclear threat level, naive and touching.

Have you looked at the stuff coming out on RT? Some of it is utterly disgraceful. There is NO place for RT to be broadcasting at the present time.

Though it is worth pointing out that we never made it illegal to listen to Lord Haw Haw in WW2. I think you probably need to give people some credit for their ability to discern propaganda. The more important point is the one made earlier that a tit for tat would cut off many Russians from the BBC which is an important source of information.
    That’s the one I posted? To be fair and honest I didn’t think it up - a Conservative MP tweeted it days ago when Starmer was insisting on immediate ban, and it made sense to me when I read it.
    I've been to have a look on RT a couple of times during this crisis. Whilst it cannot be described as a neutral source, it's been reporting stories that are unfavourable to Putin in what I found to be a surprising semblance of a news outfit. It's certainly not portraying a joyous march toward liberation for Ukraine anyway.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

We’ve now had 72 (seventy-two) VI polls in a row with LAB in the lead. A remarkable series.

Statistics being what they are, you’d have expected at least one blip in such a long series?

You certainly wouldn’t expect that if the lead is large.
    I am expecting some big, big Conservative VI leads. Circumstances are currently Johnson's friend.
    Surely people are not that stupid.
    Have you met the voters?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The EU bans RT

Worth a point or two...

So today’s* SNP 51% becomes SNP 53%? No complaints here.

* Opinium/The Observer; 23-25 February; 2,068 (For @Gardenwalker : SNP+Grn = 55%, SLab+SLD = 24%)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

We are relying on the tact and diplomatic finesse of Liz Truss and Boris Johnson.

No we aren't.

The time for tact was before Russia invaded. Macron tried that and it was a disaster (no objection to him trying).

Boris has been through this wonderfully blunt and untactful. Between Macron and Boris there was a good cop/bad cop dynamic.

That last thing that is needed at the minute is tact.
    You lived through the dick-shrivelling embarrassment of Lizzie Goes To Moscow, and you are still prepared to have a pop at Macron?
    He is an absolute moron
  • Options

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

I'm right back in the middle of a target, too. I remember staring mesmerised at a book as a child, meant for teenagers, about which parts of the country were most dangerous in the event of nuclear war, and having nightmares about it.

For some reason, though, I suddenly feel as if that's about three times less likely than just a few hours ago. Let's hope so !
    This whole business has resurrected my memories of being a child and discussing nuclear war with my parents. Basically “we don’t really have a plan because we’d be vapour” but in child friendly words.
  • Options
    kjh said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!
    When you say no one on this forum has experienced the horrors of war I was just wondering how you know that. Do you get a database on all of us supplied to you? If you do it might need updating because I can think of one who definitely has and another who probably has and there may be others, but unfortunately I am not supplied with the info to confirm that.
    As a baby I and my family were shielding under a metal table in Manchester when one of Hitlers bombs hit a neighbour's house killing 6
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    malcolmg said:

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

numpty
    Unusually generous comment from you, malcolm.
  • Options

Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

That’s the one I posted? To be fair and honest I didn’t think it up - a Conservative MP tweeted it days ago when Starmer was insisting on immediate ban, and it made sense to me when I read it.
    I've been to have a look on RT a couple of times during this crisis. Whilst it cannot be described as a neutral source, it's been reporting stories that are unfavourable to Putin in what I found to be a surprising semblance of a news outfit. It's certainly not portraying a joyous march toward liberation for Ukraine anyway.
    RT should be banned by OFCOM, for actual, proven breaches of the conditions of broadcasting rights. If it breaches them.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    The whole nuclear readiness thing gives the West opportunity.

The active Russian military is stretched, so start sending up aircraft and running exercises in the Arctic, in the Med opposite Syria, close to the Russian Far East and so on.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

numpty
    That is remarkably restrained for the quality of analysis you were responding to - are you quite yourself?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

We are relying on the tact and diplomatic finesse of Liz Truss and Boris Johnson.

No we aren't.

The time for tact was before Russia invaded. Macron tried that and it was a disaster (no objection to him trying).

Boris has been through this wonderfully blunt and untactful. Between Macron and Boris there was a good cop/bad cop dynamic.

You lived through the dick-shrivelling embarrassment of Lizzie Goes To Moscow, and you are still prepared to have a pop at Macron?
    He is an absolute moron
    Is anyone not a moron in your eyes, aside from yourself and in-the-pay-of-Russia-sex-pest Salmond?

(Gets ready for the usual stream of ill-directed verbal diarrhoea). ;)
  • Options
    NORWAY PRIME MINISTER SAYS NORWAY'S SOVEREIGN WEALTH FUND WILL DIVEST ITS RUSSIA HOLDINGS
    https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1497995878501601285
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

numpty
    Come on, that is a pale imitation of your best.

Tell you what, set up a charity page - your choice. I'll donate a £1 every time you do a really good one of your rants. The ones with passion, humour and inventive grammar.
  • Options
    📉Russians are lining up at cash machines trying to ditch their rubles, despite them selling for *1/3rd less than Friday's close.*
    “I’ve stood in lines for an hour, but foreign currency is gone everywhere, just rubles,” said Vladimir

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-27/russians-rush-for-dollars-as-sanctions-threaten-ruble-collapse
  • Options
    Yokes said:

nico679 said:

Yokes said:

Detailed and credible reports that that is not the case in this instance, e.g.

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/.premium.HIGHLIGHT-why-is-he-there-russian-mothers-say-soldiers-tricked-into-going-to-ukraine-1.10633865
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It's rather uninformative for me without seeing the other options to answer the polling questions and the full data tables.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron
    Cheer up!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The EU bans RT

Worth a point or two...

spammer
  • Options
    Yokes said:

The active Russian military is stretched, so start sending up aircraft and running exercises in the Arctic, in the Med opposite Syria, close to the Russian Far East and so on.

So, the DUP want us all reduced to smouldering cinders? Suppose that includes the Pope, so mission accomplished.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

IMV the longer Putin rants and raves about nukes in the manner he is, the less likely he is to be able to use them. Sane people in the Russian chain of command are more likely to see sense.

The trouble is, that was the same argument I stood by in disbelieving Putin would actually invade. I thought it was militarily too dicey and that he couldn't be that stupid.

I was completely wrong. Mind you, I did at least change my mind when I saw that crazed speech to the nation. He's gone doolally.

(Snip)
    You were a fool.

His actions and rhetoric over the last two decades pointed to exactly this. The Maiden revolution lost him 'his' people in the Ukrainian government, so his every action towards them since then has been aggressive.

And there comes a stage where, after marching the troops to the top of the hill, battle becomes inevitable.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

RT should be banned by OFCOM, for actual, proven breaches of the conditions of broadcasting rights. If it breaches them.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    IshmaelZ said:

Swedish PM:

Sweden to send Ukraine cash, helmets and anti-tank weapons.

Will Putin consider this to be military assistance? If so, this may be the last you’ll ever hear from this particular troublesome Jock.

was for these unintended consequences the phrase “give war a chance” was invented.

I may be drunk. I may be Christian. And this may be too deep. But this is God’s design. For all the pain, good can come from it too. Like people being brought back together, or finding each other for the first time, or seeing clearly, and connecting with their cause. (And cantankerous ex pat jocks with rubbish avatar they should have changed ages ago now disappearing off our site) good consequences. What befell Stephen may have been violent and horrible, but the consequence it proved catalyst to spread the good news around the world.

God designed the storms of winter, so we can know spring again.
    Which Stephen? The protomartyr bloke? what has he to do with it?

Here's a feelgood piece of folklore

"In Ireland the holiday [boxing day] is sometimes called Wren Day, because in the past a wren would be killed and taken door-to-door by children asking for money in exchange for a wren’s feather, which people believed brought good luck."

I cannot imagine anything more sweet, harmless and deserving love and protection than a wren in the depths of winter. I wish the story were not true at all or at least not true of our neighbours.
    https://www.britannica.com/biography/Saint-Stephen

And so we learn that as a result of the stoning of Stephen, Saul made havoc of the church, entering every house and dragging off men and women to prison. But those who were scattered went everywhere preaching the Word. How many times in church history has this happened, that God’s people are persecuted, and as a result the Word of God spreads? Countless times, from day of the Crucifixion until the present day.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/giveusthisday/friday-trinity-sunday-acts-85-25-2/
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron
    Is anyone not a moron in your eyes, aside from yourself and in-the-pay-of-Russia-sex-pest Salmond?

Moderator might want to have a think about that one.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    PJohnson said:

Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

Rt has its place as a counterweight to the propaganda of the bbc
    Huw Edwards? C'mon.
  • Options

My best case of NATO's response in the case of Putin using nuclear weapons is that it would be launch targeted Trident strikes on all Russian military and nuclear launch facilities to cripple its capability to fight, and would try and destroy Putin personally.

It wouldn't look to irradiate and destroy its major cities, although there would undoubtedly be major collateral damage.

It would depend on the target. If the targets are in Ukraine, I would *not* respond with nukes. I would get a worldwide moratorium on Russia and everything Russian. Make them a pariah state (more so than at the moment).

Sadly, we may need to respond with nukes if the targets were anywhere outside Ukraine.

What worries me is if Russia used chemical or biological weapons. They have the capability, and we don't. Our only response is nuclear.
    Russia has already used nuclear and chemical weapons on our soil.

I don't think Putin has many boundaries.
    As I've pointed out on here many times. Too many people - especially those on the left - seem reluctant to say the name 'Salisbury' , let alone think what it meant.

I mean, Putin isn't a good guy who has suddenly gone doolally. He's a bad guy gone evil. This has been clear for well over a decade.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

I would have expected them to be doing that anyway.

In fact any faction with a grouse against the Russians (form an orderly queue please) has a great opportunity to get frisky with minimum risk of reprisals.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

you flatter yourself , go get a life saddo. Ill-educated troll.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

I'm right back in the middle of a target, too. I remember staring mesmerised at a book as a child, meant for teenagers, about which parts of the country were most dangerous in the event of nuclear war, and having nightmares about it.

For some reason, though, I suddenly feel as if that's about three times less likely than just a few hours ago. Let's hope so !
    This whole business has resurrected my memories of being a child and discussing nuclear war with my parents. Basically “we don’t really have a plan because we’d be vapour” but in child friendly words.
    If I ran from here to Devonport, that wouldn't be a marathon. My garden shed is a ww2 built bomb shelter, like an Anderson but slightly bigger, so I suppose I could retire to that.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

It's true, though, isn't it? Or does Swedish society have different norms when it comes to the way they treat women?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

numpty
    That is remarkably restrained for the quality of analysis you were responding to - are you quite yourself?
    these lowlifes don't deserve a decent insult.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

(Snip)
    You were a fool.
    No, he was.

I did argue that Russian military might was exaggerated. I said that he didn't have sufficient troops on the ground to guarantee victory. Tentatively this may be proving true.

The problem and the flaw in my argument is that we're not dealing with someone rational. He has lost his marbles.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,214
    MattW said:

Do only older people say "tuned into" these days?

We all dropped out.

(Who Timothy Leary?)
    He couldn't help The Who.

"I asked Bobby Dylan,
    I asked the Beatles,
    I asked Timothy Leary
    but he couldn't help me either"

An American doctor who espoused the benefits of hallucinogenic drugs in the 1960s as I recall.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

numpty
    Come on, that is a pale imitation of your best.

Tell you what, set up a charity page - your choice. I'll donate a £1 every time you do a really good one of your rants. The ones with passion, humour and inventive grammar.
    I'll do a penny. @malcolmg is good to go a £1 each time.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

It's true, though, isn't it? Or does Swedish society have different norms when it comes to the way they treat women?
    Is it unprovoked racial smear night?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Second, we will ban the Kremlin’s media machine in the EU.

The state-owned Russia Today and Sputnik, and their subsidiaries,
    will no longer be able to spread their lies to justify Putin’s war.

We are developing tools to ban their toxic and harmful disinformation in Europe. https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497973706831929348/photo/1

I wonder if YouTube, Twitter, etc will ban them?
    I believe they already have.
    No problem for me to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0I5eglJMRI
  • Options
    I really wish I was out in SE Asia at the moment but, hey ho.

Anyway, courtesy of the lovely Daily Star here is a map of where Putin might nuke in the UK and the safest places to be.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/surviving-nuclear-war-in-uk-26326895

Apologies if this unnerves people but we're dealing with a madman and anything is possible, especially with the escalations.
  • Options

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

I'm right bang in the middle of a target, too. I remember staring mesmerised at a book as a child, meant for teenagers, about which parts of the country were most dangerous in the event of nuclear war, and having nightmares about it.

For some reason though, I feel as if that's about three times less likely than it was just a few hours ago. Let's hope so !
    I still feel quite nervous. Funny isn’t it, what gets you scared. I was on the complacent end of the spectrum with Covid, really found it hard to get worried even given the pretty obvious stats that suggested my parents were at risk. Whereas this…

There are a few options: head to a nearish part of the country that should escape the immediate impact of a London blast and take it from there; travel to our holiday home in France which is comfortably distant from a big city but uncomfortably close to a French airbase. Or hop on a flight somewhere upwind of fallout like Morocco. Latter obviously the safest but harder to sit it out for months on end.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Hope someone sensible somewhere is thinking about the endgame.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NORWAY PRIME MINISTER SAYS NORWAY'S SOVEREIGN WEALTH FUND WILL DIVEST ITS RUSSIA HOLDINGS
    https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1497995878501601285

Totally bizarre that a NATO member was heavily investing in a totalitarian dictatorship.

Oh! Forget it.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/business/energy/2021/10/28/saudi-arabia-signs-direct-investment-pact-with-uk-in-next-step-for-green-initiatives/?outputType=amp&d=233
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Scott_xP said:

📉Russians are lining up at cash machines trying to ditch their rubles, despite them selling for *1/3rd less than Friday's close.*
    “I’ve stood in lines for an hour, but foreign currency is gone everywhere, just rubles,” said Vladimir

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-27/russians-rush-for-dollars-as-sanctions-threaten-ruble-collapse

"...said Vladimir"?

For some reason this brought to mind the image of Putin queued at the bank trying to get his umpteen billions of stolen loot out in dollar bills. :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Scott_xP said:

"...said Vladimir"?

For some reason this brought to mind the image of Putin queued at the bank trying to get his umpteen billions of stolen loot out in dollar bills. :-)
    Haha ! I can see his hands furiously stuffing notes into the pockets of a long old military coat, in my mind's eye, too.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Jonathan said:

Indeed.

Putin needs an off-ramp, but I don’t think the west is in the mood to give him one.

Dangerous times.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited February 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

Your reading comprehension is letting you down once again Ishy.

I didn't have a pop at Macron. I explicitly said in case there was any doubt that I had no objection to Macron trying - it was a disaster because he was trying to negotiate with a madman, but there's absolutely no shame in him trying.

Him trying was the lesser role to Biden and Boris being the bad cops, but it was a perfectly valid role to play pre-invasion.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

I'm not sure you should be protesting tongue in cheek comments like this given your language last night.

And Salmond's defence, afaik, was that his behaviour was unacceptable but not criminal.
  • Options
    TimS said:

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

I still feel quite nervous. Funny isn’t it, what gets you scared. I was on the complacent end of the spectrum with Covid, really found it hard to get worried even given the pretty obvious stats that suggested my parents were at risk. Whereas this…

There are a few options: head to a nearish part of the country that should escape the immediate impact of a London blast and take it from there; travel to our holiday home in France which is comfortably distant from a big city but uncomfortably close to a French airbase. Or hop on a flight somewhere upwind of fallout like Morocco. Latter obviously the safest but harder to sit it out for months on end.
    I hope it doesn't kick off in the next half hour, as my hospital dinner is due to arrive.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

"...said Vladimir"?

Nah. You know those Saudi vending machines that dispense gold bullion….?
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202

Yokes said:

In fact any faction with a grouse against the Russians (form an orderly queue please) has a great opportunity to get frisky with minimum risk of reprisals.
    They aren't yet though.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

You’ve just stated that someone is guilty of something when they were acquitted in a court of law. OGH has a policy on defamation.
  • Options

My best case of NATO's response in the case of Putin using nuclear weapons is that it would be launch targeted Trident strikes on all Russian military and nuclear launch facilities to cripple its capability to fight, and would try and destroy Putin personally.

It wouldn't look to irradiate and destroy its major cities, although there would undoubtedly be major collateral damage.

It would depend on the target. If the targets are in Ukraine, I would *not* respond with nukes. I would get a worldwide moratorium on Russia and everything Russian. Make them a pariah state (more so than at the moment).

Sadly, we may need to respond with nukes if the targets were anywhere outside Ukraine.

What worries me is if Russia used chemical or biological weapons. They have the capability, and we don't. Our only response is nuclear.
    Russia has already used nuclear and chemical weapons on our soil.

I don't think Putin has many boundaries.

I mean, Putin isn't a good guy who has suddenly gone doolally. He's a bad guy gone evil. This has been clear for well over a decade.
    No I think this is wrong and a wrong mix of words.

He's an evil guy who has also now gone doolally. There's plenty of evidence for that.

I've been livid with Putin for years, deploring his evil acts, but it's the last few weeks which have seen him go crazed, losing his marbles. The address to the nation was like nothing else he's delivered. Just nuts.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

All your worries will turn to vapour ;-)

We used to live very close to Upper Heyford airbase back in the 80s - at times it was weirdly comforting to know that we'd never have to face a post-Armageddon world.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Heathener said:

Anyway, courtesy of the lovely Daily Star here is a map of where Putin might nuke in the UK and the safest places to be.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/surviving-nuclear-war-in-uk-26326895

Apologies if this unnerves people but we're dealing with a madman and anything is possible, especially with the escalations.

No Catterick, no Fylingdales, no Culdrose, no Drax? TBH, that just looks like a list of the biggest cities.

Though Aberystwyth wouldn't be the worst place to live after the Bomb...
  • Options
    Foss said:

Heathener said:

No Catterick, no Fylingdales, no Culdrose, no Drax? TBH, that just looks like a list of the biggest cities.

Though Aberystwyth wouldn't be the worst place to live after the Bomb...
    Indeed. No Goonhilly either etc. etc.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

you flatter yourself , go get a life saddo. Ill-educated troll.
    Usual stream - tick

ill-directed - tick

verbal diarrhoea - tick

;)
  • Options
    BREAKING: Putin just fired his most decorated general whose war strategy has been the basis for all sorts of military nastiness. This is a significant external validation of how badly things are playing out for Russia in this invasion https://twitter.com/billneelyreport/status/1497989705903788036
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

The ramblings of a lunatic, the idiot is unhinged with it all.
  • Options
    Norwegian government has decided that Norway's sovereign wealth fund (the worlds largest fund) will freeze its investments in Russia and intend to fully divest its Russia holding.https://twitter.com/matsbenestad/status/1497997524640096256
  • Options
    edited February 2022

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

You’ve just stated that someone is guilty of something when they were acquitted in a court of law. OGH has a policy on defamation.
    Josias jester is completely deranged by it all.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: Putin just fired his most decorated general whose war strategy has been the basis for all sorts of military nastiness. This is a significant external validation of how badly things are playing out for Russia in this invasion https://twitter.com/billneelyreport/status/1497989705903788036

Yup, he's under a lot of pressure, probably both from China and disenchanted siloviki. Negotiating because he has to accomodate the challenges somehow.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Like their US GOP comrades assembled at CPAC, UK Tories would rather rave about dangers of Woke than wake up to the Putinist threat abroad AND at home.

Thus bending over backwards giving aid and comfort to their spiritual leader - Vladimir Putin.

Side note - keep your eye on Hungary, where Viktor Orban is clearly hoping to get some goodies out of the deal now going down. Including (I'm guessing) "autonomy" for Sub (or Trans) Carpathia, part of which has ethnic-Hungarian majority.

Perhaps you should stick to commenting on Washington politics?
    Don't be be like that! We all comment on other countries' politics all the time. Not as important as the Bristol South Town Council by-election, true, but still vaguely interesting, and SSI's US perspective is as interesting as anyone's.
    The perspective isn’t interesting when it is totally wrong.
    Seems that yours truly has really touched a nerve here?

If Boris Johnson and 45 are NOT Putinists in mind & spirit, then I'm the Grand Rabbi of Kyiv.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,191
    Ukraine defence is losing the hard left for its racism and islamophobia

https://twitter.com/ng_ukraine/status/1497924614865002497?s=21
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Yokes said:

They aren't yet though.
    Best not to dwell on the opportunity for the likes of IS to cause chaos here whilst we are looking the other way as well.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    Heathener said:

Lovely. Inside 4 different blast radii here, although that map is clearly nonsense. None aimed at Faslane or Benbecula?

There were armed and fuelled nuclear bombers lined up on the runway here in the Flatlands in the 1960s, so whatevs.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

What’s your view of the endgame? Not sure we should be putting all our eggs in the basket where Putin changes his mind or suddenly throws his hands up and says he’s had enough.

At some point, someone, somewhere will have to be clever. Hopefully they are doing that now.

Is there a Russian general who doesn’t like this, who needs reassurances?
    Its dangerous because we're not dealing with someone sane.

Today I can foresee four credible paths.

1: Russia wins the war, but its very bloody, and they fail to keep a successful occupation.
    2: A negotiated settlement with the Donbas rebel areas being recognised and Russia withdraws from the rest of Ukraine.
    3: Putin finds a face-saving reason to pull out.
    4: Putin has an 'accident' and someone else in the Palace negotiates a truce.

None of them seem particularly likely today, number 1 did at the start but not anymore.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Up until 24th Feb Ukraine was reporting close to 300 deaths a day “from Covid”. Obviously no update since then.

Since the invasion we get estimates of deaths to date, but (thus far only obviously - could well get much worse rapidly) of a couple of hundred (from the war, I mean)

Just an observation, could comment on it from a number of different angles.
  • Options

Many now owe David Cameron a big fat massive apology. Remember the mockery and scorn he was subjected to when he said that peace in Europe is not something that can be taken for granted?

Was that before or after he decided to start the process of separating us from our European friends?

Edit. Rhetorical. Don't let's get that one started again :smiley:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Scott_xP said:

Maybe he said no. With respect to the endgame. Generals are about the only people who could unseat Putin. Our policy should keep that possibility open.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    edited February 2022
    Yokes said:

Could we persuade Kim Jong-un to invade?
  • Options

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

All your worries will turn to vapour ;-)

We used to live very close to Upper Heyford airbase back in the 80s - at times it was weirdly comforting to know that we'd never have to face a post-Armageddon world.
    I sed to go bowling on the base. The night of the coup in Moscow, we got cleared out. That was entertaining. They said t wasn't a big deal later, but they were scrambling the aircraft.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    ping said:

Jonathan said:

Indeed.

Putin needs an off-ramp, but I don’t think the west is in the mood to give him one.

Dangerous times.
    He has two. Out of power by choice or out of power by force.
    He may be able to go and live in some obscure hell hole or choose prison.
  • Options
    kjh said:

TimS said:

biggles said:

IshmaelZ said:

I hope it doesn't kick off in the next half hour, as my hospital dinner is due to arrive.
    If it's anything like the food at Derriford, that is a reason for hoping the opposite.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

When we say fired, do we mean sacked or do we mean literally fired, as in out of a cannon?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

I'm not sure you should be protesting tongue in cheek comments like this given your language last night.

And Salmond's defence, afaik, was that his behaviour was unacceptable but not criminal.
    What language?
This discussion has been closed.