Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The fog of war – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1498004657926512641

Looks like long columns of Chechans just outside Kyiv. Hopefully some drones are still around.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

More seriously (BBC journalist).
    Russian troops are in Berdyansk. They're getting closer to Mariupol. Also not clear about the northern direction - Volnovakha I heard was totally cut off by Russian troops. They're encircling Mariupol from all sides.
    https://twitter.com/abdujalil/status/1497998348992798730

It certainly looks as if the southern front is the one that the Russians are winning. Hard to know whether by accident or design.
    The amphibious landing force has probably helped them there. In general, I think that we're all celebrating the failure of the invason a bit prematurely - it's only been going for a few days and Kyiv is apparently surrounded. Not clear what the Russians plan next there, though - fighting for it street by street must sound unappealing to the most gung-ho general.
    Yes you are correct Nick what you WANT to happen is not the same as what will happen
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,829
    edited February 2022
    #Breaking: Swiss President @IgnazioCassis says it is "very probable" that Switzerland will follow the European Union tomorrow in sanctioning Russia and its freezing assets.

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1498016520554876932

Meanwhile Putin’s been told “sanctions are nothing to worry about”….
  • Options
    max seddon
    @maxseddon
    ·
    15m
    My Russian bank is selling dollars for 88 rubles, already above the record high, and buying them for 120. The central bank sanctions haven’t even come in yet
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,946
    edited February 2022

PJohnson said:

Nigelb said:

Russian troops are in Berdyansk. They're getting closer to Mariupol. Also not clear about the northern direction - Volnovakha I heard was totally cut off by Russian troops. They're encircling Mariupol from all sides.

As I believe I said this morning: we all (well, most of us...) want Ukraine to win so much that we might be biasing our posts towards that end, particularly as most western media is also biased that way. It might not be going as 'well' as we think.

Although I hope it's going much better for Ukraine than I think.
    One war Russia is comprehensively losing is the “information war” - how important or not that turns out to be only time will tell, but they’re being comprehensively thrashed.
    Yes but are they losing the information war in russia
    JUST IN: #Russian state TV channels have been hacked by #Anonymous to broadcast the truth about what happens in #Ukraine.

#OpRussia #OpKremlin #FckPutin #StandWithUkriane

https://twitter.com/YourAnonTV/status/1497678663046905863
    Much as I'd like that to be true, I very much doubt it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Just a question - where does Russia get its food from?

Ukraine mainly
    I presume @IshmaelZ that you've comprehensively apologised for your comments last night?
    Look. I-- I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, 'That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.'

I can only repeat my reply to a previous hon gent, adding the observation that I have always loved the Dylan line "It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe."

"Not a word I knew till 2 minutes ago, but apparently used only as an ethnic slur. And what is this "normally considered fair game" shit? I mean, yes, we are all on the Ukr side, but you sound like a Victorian gent reading the ticker in his club and hoping the North is giving the niggers a dam' good pasting."

you are literally too stupid to read that as a condemnation of ethnic slurs? Literally? Really really? Genuinely? Not kidding?

The point of PB used to be the very high level of intelligence one could expect from one's readership. Those were the days.
    How can you judge my level of stupidity?
    By the content of your posts, duh. Including this one.
    No thoughts about an apology then? No contritian? I guess you're busy with apparently being the most intelligent person in the world and owning half on England?
    Yawn

You can really not see that saying in effect "That remark is as offensively racist as saying what you probably call the N word because that's the kind of moron you are" is not a racist thing to say? In which case it seems pointless to even get started on the Predator thing, but in a nutshell: the people he is addressing are not the F word, everyone knows that, it turns out later that he actually is.

And you ask how I can judge your level of stupidity. How would I not be able to, when I can read and assess your output on here? How else would I do it, short of pming you an IQ test and urging you not to cheat?
    You seem to be confusing me with 'everybody' and quoting as such.

I'm enchanted that you pay so much attention to my posts as to have a view.

I don't know you from Adam. Your 3 or 4 posts addressed to me this evening tell me all I need to know. You have yet to make a case about wtf I am meant to be apologising for.
    Apologise. Properly Apologise. It's not that hard, and you definitely know you should.
    What for?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882

What we really need is some of those semi-mythical accounts of UFO's shutting down nuclear weapon systems. One or two of those accounts are quite interesting - where's Moonshine when you need him to discuss the details.

He's had to taker a quick trip back to Vulcan (family reasons). Should be back tomorrow evening via the intergalactic wormhole.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,019
    PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

Breaking news all routes out of Kiev blocked by the russians

You must be so pleased. The odds of large numbers of men women and children suffering agonising injury and death have just fallen dramatically.

Someone posted this about an hour ago, but great to have it confirmed at first hand.
    That was a sick disgusting post
    @PJohnson that is Kepa's penalty, not a Trident missile, going into orbit over the North Sea.

Please let Vlad know.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

It certainly looks as if the southern front is the one that the Russians are winning. Hard to know whether by accident or design.
    The amphibious landing force has probably helped them there. In general, I think that we're all celebrating the failure of the invason a bit prematurely - it's only been going for a few days and Kyiv is apparently surrounded. Not clear what the Russians plan next there, though - fighting for it street by street must sound unappealing to the most gung-ho general.
    Like you, Nick, I didn't think Putin was crazy enough to invade but I did think that if he went for it, he would have at least taken the capital by now. So each day it survives is a victory for the defenders. Each day there is more help from outside.

I began with a little hope, and now have a little more, but still difficult to see where this all ends.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    darkage said:

Has anyone considered aliens and what role they might be playing in all this?

Here come the ex-USAF men..

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/former-usaf-officers-to-present-evidence-of-ufos-tampering-with-nuclear-weapons-301395385.html

"Former Air Force officer, Robert Salas, was the on-duty commander of an underground launch control facility assigned to Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana, on March 24, 1967. He has publicly stated over a span of twenty-five years, that all ten of his ICBMs became inoperable and that eight days earlier, on March 16, 1967, a similar incident occurred at another missile launch control facility."

• Options
    Why are the Chechens so keen to fight for Putin?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156

mwadams said:

The only problem with continuing to allow this Putin-bot to post here is that it can be referenced by Putin's propagandists as demonstrating that Western opinion is divided and not entirely against him.

I'm not proposing a course of action, just suggesting a possible consequence.

I don't think Putin's propangadists reporting the odd (ok very odd) dissenting voice on PB.com is going to crumble Ukrainian resistance tbh.
    Not individually, no. That's not how it works.
  • Options

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Source?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,822
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Ukraine mainly
    I presume @IshmaelZ that you've comprehensively apologised for your comments last night?
    Look. I-- I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, 'That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.'

I can only repeat my reply to a previous hon gent, adding the observation that I have always loved the Dylan line "It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe."

"Not a word I knew till 2 minutes ago, but apparently used only as an ethnic slur. And what is this "normally considered fair game" shit? I mean, yes, we are all on the Ukr side, but you sound like a Victorian gent reading the ticker in his club and hoping the North is giving the niggers a dam' good pasting."

you are literally too stupid to read that as a condemnation of ethnic slurs? Literally? Really really? Genuinely? Not kidding?

The point of PB used to be the very high level of intelligence one could expect from one's readership. Those were the days.
    No thoughts about an apology then? No contritian? I guess you're busy with apparently being the most intelligent person in the world and owning half on England?
    Yawn

You can really not see that saying in effect "That remark is as offensively racist as saying what you probably call the N word because that's the kind of moron you are" is not a racist thing to say? In which case it seems pointless to even get started on the Predator thing, but in a nutshell: the people he is addressing are not the F word, everyone knows that, it turns out later that he actually is.

And you ask how I can judge your level of stupidity. How would I not be able to, when I can read and assess your output on here? How else would I do it, short of pming you an IQ test and urging you not to cheat?

I don't know you from Adam. Your 3 or 4 posts addressed to me this evening tell me all I need to know. You have yet to make a case about wtf I am meant to be apologising for.
    Apologise. Properly Apologise. It's not that hard, and you definitely know you should.
    What for?
    Because you have been rude and unpleasant to many, used widly offensive terms and claimed ridiculous cover, and generally been not the citizen of PB ought to be.

• Options
    UkraineEnglishUpdates
    @EnglishUkraine

Message to Russian troops from Kyiv's Defenders.

https://twitter.com/EnglishUkraine/status/1497986717470580744

Any Russian/Ukrainian speakers able to check the subtitles?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187
    edited February 2022
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

We are relying on the tact and diplomatic finesse of Liz Truss and Boris Johnson.

No we aren't.

The time for tact was before Russia invaded. Macron tried that and it was a disaster (no objection to him trying).

Boris has been through this wonderfully blunt and untactful. Between Macron and Boris there was a good cop/bad cop dynamic.

That last thing that is needed at the minute is tact.
    You lived through the dick-shrivelling embarrassment of Lizzie Goes To Moscow, and you are still prepared to have a pop at Macron?
    He is an absolute moron
    Is anyone not a moron in your eyes, aside from yourself and in-the-pay-of-Russia-sex-pest Salmond?

(Gets ready for the usual stream of ill-directed verbal diarrhoea). ;)
    you flatter yourself , go get a life saddo. Ill-educated troll.
    Usual stream - tick

ill-directed - tick

verbal diarrhoea - tick

;)
    How sad get one get, now F**k off and bore someone else to death, you ignorant cretin.
    If only you took your insults and followed your own advice.
    Oh Dear Mr Blowhard joins the fray. You know you are in trouble when you are only supported by the W-eak one. Gives us a few of your usual boasts about what a big shot you are , make us laugh some more.
    I don’t remember boosting - I remember pointing out that your arguments are so weak all you have is insults.

The pub bore that hasn’t realised he’s drunk his brains away
    Dear dear , is that the best you can manage. That from the cretin who said I had dementia. Go fuck yourself you moronic shitpot.
    As I said in my first post, if all youve got is insults what’s the point in posting.

Btw for reference this is my mental image of you (probably taken on one of your better days)

Get carted you sleazy shitpot, hopefully you get your comeuppance , nasty creaturees like you who wish ill on people deserve all you get. Now F*** off and pester someone who gives a shit, you lowlife bottom feeder.
    PS: So great at the IT you boast about that you cannot even post an image , says it all.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,426
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I really wish I was out in SE Asia at the moment but, hey ho.

Anyway, courtesy of the lovely Daily Star here is a map of where Putin might nuke in the UK and the safest places to be.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/surviving-nuclear-war-in-uk-26326895

Apologies if this unnerves people but we're dealing with a madman and anything is possible, especially with the escalations.

The safest places to live in the event of a nuclear attack are obviously the most rural areas and coastal areas far from military bases eg Isles of Scilly, the Highlands of Scotland, the Yorkshire Moors, Snowdonia and Mid Wales, East Kent etc.

Though obviously if Putin did launch nukes on the UK we would also be send Trident nuclear missiles to attack Moscow and St Petersburg from UK submarines within a few hours
    Faslane is on the edge of the Highlands though.

Apparently one of the reasons it was selected is that it has about the highest amount of cloud cover in the UK.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187
    :D:D

malcolmg said:

Yeah….that’ll work….

BREAKING: FIFA says Russia can play as 'RFU' team without the country's flag or anthem but could still be banned from World Cup qualifying

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1498011447443566596

A poor decision. Just ban them, as the IOC should have done after the doping scandal. Allowing them to compete under some ludicrous flag of convenience is sh*t.
    I think them turning up to be booed and have the opposing team walk off might be worth it….but no one is going to play them….and Russia won’t be in the next Olympics either…
    They should add FIFA to the sanctions list, useless bunch of troughers.
    Malcolm, at last - a post that everyone can agree with!

How many years of trying? :wink:
    Harsh Peter
  • Options

PJohnson said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I think peak ukrainian resistance is over
    Don't forget to stop posting for an hour or so in order to queue at an ATM to get the last of the roubles from your account before banking ceases in Moscow.

Will he have many Roubles? In terms of subverting PB to Putin's will he is clearly sub-par.

I am disappointed that PB only rates such a sad apologist. I had expected the cyber equivalent of crack troops!
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

You must be so pleased. The odds of large numbers of men women and children suffering agonising injury and death have just fallen dramatically.

Someone posted this about an hour ago, but great to have it confirmed at first hand.
    You saying that the Motherland inflicting agonising injury and death on civilians is a bad thing? Thin ice...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Anyway, courtesy of the lovely Daily Star here is a map of where Putin might nuke in the UK and the safest places to be.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/surviving-nuclear-war-in-uk-26326895

Apologies if this unnerves people but we're dealing with a madman and anything is possible, especially with the escalations.

The safest places to live in the event of a nuclear attack are obviously the most rural areas and coastal areas far from military bases eg Isles of Scilly, the Highlands of Scotland, the Yorkshire Moors, Snowdonia and Mid Wales, East Kent etc.

Though obviously if Putin did launch nukes on the UK we would also be send Trident nuclear missiles to attack Moscow and St Petersburg from UK submarines within a few hours
    Highlands of Scotland?!?

I ought not be surprised after your pig-ignorance regarding Trident this morning.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

We are relying on the tact and diplomatic finesse of Liz Truss and Boris Johnson.

No we aren't.

The time for tact was before Russia invaded. Macron tried that and it was a disaster (no objection to him trying).

Boris has been through this wonderfully blunt and untactful. Between Macron and Boris there was a good cop/bad cop dynamic.

You lived through the dick-shrivelling embarrassment of Lizzie Goes To Moscow, and you are still prepared to have a pop at Macron?
    He is an absolute moron
    Is anyone not a moron in your eyes, aside from yourself and in-the-pay-of-Russia-sex-pest Salmond?

Usual stream - tick

ill-directed - tick

verbal diarrhoea - tick

;)
    How sad get one get, now F**k off and bore someone else to death, you ignorant cretin.
    Oh Dear Mr Blowhard joins the fray. You know you are in trouble when you are only supported by the W-eak one. Gives us a few of your usual boasts about what a big shot you are , make us laugh some more.
    I don’t remember boosting - I remember pointing out that your arguments are so weak all you have is insults.

Dear dear , is that the best you can manage. That from the cretin who said I had dementia. Go fuck yourself you moronic shitpot.
    As I said in my first post, if all youve got is insults what’s the point in posting.

Btw for reference this is my mental image of you (probably taken on one of your better days)

Get carted you sleazy shitpot, hopefully you get your comeuppance , nasty creaturees like you who wish ill on people deserve all you get. Now F*** off and pester someone who gives a shit, you lowlife bottom feeder.
    Oh btw, I checked this month's pay slip and just under "Income tax", "Student loan" and "Cycle to work" there is something called "Malc's state pension".

Please explain.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231

PJohnson said:

Source?
    He got it directly from the Russian war room.
  • Options
    This evening I went to Ukrainian church in London to pray snd join them in the Holy Mass.
    The Mass ended with a prayer for Peace in English and after that what a surprise Boris Johnson come and gave a talk in solidarity with Ukrainian people and lighted a candle.

https://twitter.com/SanCatherina/status/1498003719312478216
  • Options

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Ukraine mainly

Yawn

I don't think Ishmael and I agree on just about anything at all and we trade insults as freely as the flowing stream but having seen his reqoute of what he said last night - even in a drunken state - I really can't honestly say that it is open to any other interpretation than the one he puts on it. I don't see he has anything to apologise for in that.

And we shall now return to me insulting him as usual.

The bastard.
    Ok well thats fine. I thought it was ugly and fit for no place with which I wish to be associated. We'll see what he says as to my last post.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568
    Heathener said:

Just a note on nuclear war: a strike on London would kill all the Russian oligarchs and kleptokrats and their families based here, not to mention all their wealth stored in London property and banks forever, and they'll be well connected enough with the Kremlin for him to be well aware of that. They're not insane even if he is.

So, I'd treat threats like this with a pinch of salt.

I doubt that right now Putin gives a flying fig about them. If he's mad enough to be threatening nuclear warfare he's not about to say, 'no wait, some of my former colleagues might get hit.'
    And only Essex is downwind…
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

Usual stream - tick

ill-directed - tick

verbal diarrhoea - tick

;)

PS: So great at the IT you boast about that you cannot even post an image , says it all.

Knew I should have stolen it from twitter - there you go
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Surely Russia will eventually 'win', install a compliant government and then the conflict moves on to civil war. In the absence of a peace agreement or nuclear anhillation, what other realistic short to medium term outcomes are there?

My own interpretation of events is that the Ukranians have played an absolutely stunning propoganda war over the last week- intentionally or otherwise. It has already changed the course of European history in a profound way, in that it has united the whole of Europe against Russia. It could well also change the course of Russian history, time will tell.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

Why have we kept the troll? Is it like how BigBrother employ protagonists to keep the show spunky? How much is RCS paying Leon to play the role of Putin’s Johnson?

I posted this morning I like to think Putin has been knocked off course and it’s disasterly slow, like it was disastrously slow taking Paris what cost Germans the First World War, yet, they seem to be cutting off and surrounding bits. How do we supply our friends munition and other supplies, air drops?

Do we know what Putin’s aims are or still guessing? I don’t think there is anyway he can achieve mission goals from this full scale invasion, how about you? That’s how I know him to be stupid.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,646
    edited February 2022

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

It feels like the aim was to have grabbed the water supply for Crimea, Donetsk and Lughansk (sp?) carve that out, but at the same time, grab Kiev and then use it as leverage to secure the other gains as a 'less bad' option.

That seems like a very big strategic miscalculation on the part of Russia, as 'incursions' had been all but accepted by America; it's the threat of total invasion that has really set the cat amongst the pigeons.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

PJohnson said:

Source?
    He got it directly from the Russian war room.
    To be fair Kyiv’s mayor said it earlier today when asked if they were planning evac of civilians
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Just a note on nuclear war: a strike on London would kill all the Russian oligarchs and kleptokrats and their families based here, not to mention all their wealth stored in London property and banks forever, and they'll be well connected enough with the Kremlin for him to be well aware of that. They're not insane even if he is.

I doubt that right now Putin gives a flying fig about them. If he's mad enough to be threatening nuclear warfare he's not about to say, 'no wait, some of my former colleagues might get hit.'
    Actually on the Star map parts of Essex, eg Clacton, would be safer in the aftermath of Russan nuclear attacks than 80% of England, south Wales and Glasgow and Edinburgh
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

And they have upto 3 million guns from every window and every door pointing at them as soon as they move
  • Options

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

Ukraine mainly

Yawn

I don't think Ishmael and I agree on just about anything at all and we trade insults as freely as the flowing stream but having seen his reqoute of what he said last night - even in a drunken state - I really can't honestly say that it is open to any other interpretation than the one he puts on it. I don't see he has anything to apologise for in that.

And we shall now return to me insulting him as usual.

The bastard.
    Only a complete and utter c--t would post that, and plate tectonics has nothing to say about the definition of continent.

Otherwise, thank you.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

I ought not be surprised after your pig-ignorance regarding Trident this morning.
    Also Yorkshire Moors! Although I think they'd knock that out with cruise missiles, as with Benbecula, Buchan etc.

Mid Wales would be an extremely dirty fight between Spetsnaz and what remained of the SAS.
  • Options

This evening I went to Ukrainian church in London to pray snd join them in the Holy Mass.
    The Mass ended with a prayer for Peace in English and after that what a surprise Boris Johnson come and gave a talk in solidarity with Ukrainian people and lighted a candle.

Did I read Boris has a new spin doctor?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Actually on the Star map parts of Essex, eg Clacton, would be safer in the aftermath of Russan nuclear attacks than 80% of England, south Wales and Glasgow and Edinburgh
    And to be fair, many places like Milton Keynes would be radically improved.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited February 2022
    PJohnson said:

Scott_xP said:

📉Russians are lining up at cash machines trying to ditch their rubles, despite them selling for *1/3rd less than Friday's close.*
    “I’ve stood in lines for an hour, but foreign currency is gone everywhere, just rubles,” said Vladimir

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-27/russians-rush-for-dollars-as-sanctions-threaten-ruble-collapse

"...said Vladimir"?

For some reason this brought to mind the image of Putin queued at the bank trying to get his umpteen billions of stolen loot out in dollar bills. :-)
    Destroying the lives of good ordinary Russians...a sad sight
    Ending the lives of good ordinary Ukrainians though, that's a ok.

Once more the Putin calculation - economic reprisal, horrendous. Violence, fine.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Yes, but who the fuck wants to survive a nuclear war?
  • Options
    All 11 Liverpool players scored in their penalties. That can't happen very often surely?

A metaphor for the current global conflict? A stalemate ending with the opposition firing on all cylinders and the Russians lose in the end.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,175

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Like you, Nick, I didn't think Putin was crazy enough to invade but I did think that if he went for it, he would have at least taken the capital by now. So each day it survives is a victory for the defenders. Each day there is more help from outside.

I began with a little hope, and now have a little more, but still difficult to see where this all ends.
    The problem for Russia is that the longer it goes on, the more entrenched world opinion against them becomes. If they'd taken Ukraine in a day, they could have argued, sotto voce, that the lack of resistance showed that the people welcomed the overthrow of the old corrupt regime.

The longer it goes on, the harder the fighting and the more civilians die, it will become harder to maintain that it is anything other than an unwanted invasion. Also add in that Ukraine might grow stronger as well, if it turns into a war of equipment attrition.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

Moderator might want to have a think about that one.
    It's true, though, isn't it? Or does Swedish society have different norms when it comes to the way they treat women?
    Is it unprovoked racial smear night?
    I'm not sure you should be protesting tongue in cheek comments like this given your language last night.

And Salmond's defence, afaik, was that his behaviour was unacceptable but not criminal.
    You obviously don't know very much, I assume you are a spotty youth who does not read newspapers. Not guilty on all counts you dunderheided moron by a jury of mainly women. Get an education so you can read about stuff and understand what facts are.
    Just a millennial with normal blood pressure Malc.
    Well read the verdict , see who were lying through their teeth. NOT GUILTY on all charges despite the government and most others against him. A jury of his peers consisting of mainly women found him innocent on all charges.
    They found “not proven” on one.
    I think they call that "half out of 14" as a result :smile:
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Add in the nuke strikes on Colchester (major army base), and things don’t look as good.

Speaking as one who’s Mum moved us to near Colchester in the early Eighties specifically to be close to a major target so as to ensure we wouldn’t be in the lingering-and-suffering category if the buckets of instant sunshine were opened.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Post of the day - I drop to 155 over 86.
    Mad Vlad: "We nuke London then?"

Oligarch with his hands tight around Putin's balls: "My daughter lives there in a flat with friends all studying drama. No your fucking don't."
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,544
    PJohnson said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Yes you are correct Nick what you WANT to happen is not the same as what will happen
    I think we can allow ourselves a cheer, though, that the invasion has gone much less well than we feared. Every day it goes on costs Vlad another $20bn. Every tank taken out of operation by the Ukrainians sets the Russians back. Five days ago, the fear was that the Ukraine would be the first domino, which would be followed by The Baltics, Georgia, Poland, Scandinavia... The heroism of the Ukrainians has made the second step that much more difficult for Vlad.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

If I was living in, say, Thailand then I would. I've craved getting back to nature and to the wild. Just not quite via this route.

I was watching Octopussy with my son earlier. Making our way through James Bond films.

I'd always considered the plot a bit far-fetched until today: you know, a deranged ex KGB officer who wants to set off a nuclear bomb in the west ...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ping said:

Jonathan said:

Hope someone sensible somewhere is thinking about the endgame.

Indeed.

Putin needs an off-ramp, but I don’t think the west is in the mood to give him one.

Dangerous times.
    Hard to imagine what kind of an off-ramp you can give to someone who has deliberately driven into an untenable position.

Personally I think there is much that could be offered:
    i) Ukraine agrees never to join NATO. (This is a bit phony because it was never going to do it anyway and doesn't need to now because it is de facto in anyway.)
    ii) Give up the Southern Oblasts. (You're not going to get them back anyway and they have large, awkward Russian minorities)
    iii) Let Russia keep the Crimea.

Now piss off please Mr Putin.

The trouble is that even if you give all of that it hardly compenates him for the cost of this mad adventure. He and his henchmen become pariahs. The Russian economy goes even further down the tubes. The Russian 'Empire' will never again increase an inch in the territory it holds. That's it - line in the sand. Russia stops where it is.

Net result is that Putin goes down as the craziest Russian since Rasputin and the country disappears down the toilet.

Not very appealing.
    I don't see why Ukraine should agree never to join NATO when that's probably the main way in which they can avoid being invaded again in the future.
    NATO wasn't exactly eagerly encouraging its application. A member whose territory has been invaded is a much bigger headache than a closely aligned neighbour, in terms of actions that would be required to be taken.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Why the hatred of MK? I have a friend who lives there, and it's not *that* bad. In fact, Gulliver's Kingdom/Land is rather good for a seven year old.

Have you actually been to MK? I mean, it's not a countryside pastiche with thatched cottages and ancient churches (except for the absorbed villages), but it's okay.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Me. I've been reading post apocalypse sci fi so long, I want to know who was right. The Road? Riddley Walker? Leibowitz?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

Faslane is near the coast not the central Highlands.

There was nothing ignorant about my post this morning, we have submarines carrying Trident nuclear missiles on patrol 24/7 and obviously the UK PM would have to order a nuclear strike on major Russian cities using Trident nuclear missiles from his bunker within hours of any attack here and would do so.

• Options

Did I read Boris has a new spin doctor?
    Yes, and he's doing a good job. Big Dog seems to be getting his mojo back. I'm not angry or particularly overjoyed at this turn of events, but it's interesting.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    PJohnson said:

IshmaelZ said:

PJohnson said:

Ah, but you telling everyone the Ukrainians should, in essence, lay down and accept brutal occupation or else face even worse violence (and that this was completely justified because of Russia's 'concerns'), that was just being polite?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

The problem for Russia is that the longer it goes on, the more entrenched world opinion against them becomes. If they'd taken Ukraine in a day, they could have argued, sotto voce, that the lack of resistance showed that the people welcomed the overthrow of the old corrupt regime.

The longer it goes on, the harder the fighting and the more civilians die, it will become harder to maintain that it is anything other than an unwanted invasion. Also add in that Ukraine might grow stronger as well, if it turns into a war of equipment attrition.
    I do wonder whether more of the Eastern countries might hand over more of their old Soviet equipment, as that will be far easier to assimilate into the Ukraine forces to requip or fill the gaps.

There are still a lot of MIGs and Sukhois in use in various countries.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Oligarch with his hands tight around Putin's balls: "My daughter lives there in a flat with friends all studying drama. No your fucking don't."
    Maybe that was the cunning plan by the UK government all along...no need for expensive trident subs, when you have a load of Russian Oligarchs daughters as human shields.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Me. I've been reading post apocalypse sci fi so long, I want to know who was right. The Road? Riddley Walker? Leibowitz?
    LOL! 👍

And playing so many post apocalypse sci fi games too. Survival genre, or Fallout series etc
  • Options
    Care to comment Mr BJohnson? Maybe little putin is scared of the little incy wincy germs?

• Options

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Why the hatred of MK? I have a friend who lives there, and it's not *that* bad. In fact, Gulliver's Kingdom/Land is rather good for a seven year old.

Have you actually been to MK? I mean, it's not a countryside pastiche with thatched cottages and ancient churches (except for the absorbed villages), but it's okay.
    Yes, when I was little we had family friends who lived there so we went repeatedly (though not often). Haven't been back lately.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

PJohnson said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Don't forget to stop posting for an hour or so in order to queue at an ATM to get the last of the roubles from your account before banking ceases in Moscow.

Will he have many Roubles? In terms of subverting PB to Putin's will he is clearly sub-par.

I am disappointed that PB only rates such a sad apologist. I had expected the cyber equivalent of crack troops!
    Nah, @Leon's currently off on a jaunt business-trip to [insert somewhere that's paid the Times for a promotional puff-piece here]. Back soon.
  • Options

Yeah….that’ll work….

BREAKING: FIFA says Russia can play as 'RFU' team without the country's flag or anthem but could still be banned from World Cup qualifying

A poor decision. Just ban them, as the IOC should have done after the doping scandal. Allowing them to compete under some ludicrous flag of convenience is sh*t.
    It's hard to fathom why sometimes organisations seek an option that is more ludicrous than just doing nothing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Philip K Dick - Dr Bloodmoney, or How We Got Along After the Bomb.
  • Options
    UPS and FedEx are stopping deliveries to Russia and Ukraine for now. So Vlad won't be able to make use of his Amazon Prime account to order the new Abba CD from Amazon.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    Yokes said:

nico679 said:

How do these donated weapons get to where they’re needed .

Won’t they be sitting targets crossing by road once they enter Ukraine .

They already are being delivered across uncontested crossings by military and unmarked vehicles. A quick look at the map will tell you where. There is, however, no clarity on how much kit has been sent & how it is getting them to the front line, that methodology is unclear.

There has been no attempt to interfere with it, yet, but, sitting south of Brest, that group of Russian and shortly Belarus military (reportedly 5am local time for their entrance to the party) , might have something to say about it in time.
    This logistics is precisely my big fear now ☹️

Absolutely no chance from the air then?
  • Options

@iguardans
    An Ukranian sailor has been arrested in Mallorca after sinking the yacht of his Russian wealthy boss.
    Boat owner is Alexander Mijeev, an executive at Rostec, a Russian state owned company manufacturer military equipment and tech
    Source @UHmalllorca
    https://www.ultimahora.es/sucesos/ultimas/2022/02/27/1704825/ucrania-rusia-detenido-marinero-ucraniano-por-hundir-yate-jefe-ruso-mallorca.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=we
    https://twitter.com/iguardans/status/1497982822736437254

Public interest defence.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

There was nothing ignorant about my post this morning, we have submarines carrying Trident nuclear missiles on patrol 24/7 and obviously the UK PM would have to order a nuclear strike on major Russian cities using Trident nuclear missiles from his bunker within hours of any attack here and would do so.

We have a prevailing SW.
  • Options

#Breaking: Swiss President @IgnazioCassis says it is "very probable" that Switzerland will follow the European Union tomorrow in sanctioning Russia and its freezing assets.

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1498016520554876932

Meanwhile Putin’s been told “sanctions are nothing to worry about”….

That does surprise me. It would be heartening that invasion would be one of those things that people don't just pretend is businss as normal.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

But you're a fucking genious knobby, aren't you?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

What's the consensus these days on the impact of an all-out nuclear holocaust?

End of life on earth? The human race? Civilisation as we know it? The EU?

Or just the TV licence?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

You are arguing Scottish geography with a Scot from your flat in Essex???
  • Options

Kadyrov loves Putin - the John Oliver bit showing his constant wearing of Putin face T-shirts alone demonstrates that.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leave it, luv. I'm not wurf it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited February 2022

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Or just the TV licence?
    Civilisation in the Northern hemisphere but still with pockets of life. Better in the South. Humanity and the planet will both survive.

Edit - the TV licence will stay obviously. Great value for money apparently :)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,524

PJohnson said:

And they have upto 3 million guns from every window and every door pointing at them as soon as they move
    Clearly the NATO supply system has got a little out of hand...not to mention the doors and windows must be on the large side...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

Wow not your best post HYUFD. I was at Faslane in October. I can assure you it is indeed near the Highlands although I notice you have very, very, naughtily added the word 'central'!!!!

Faslane is at the top of Garelochhead and the start of the Trosachs.

Geologically Faslane is actually in the Highlands because the dividing line of the central belt runs along the Clyde, just south of Helensburgh.

Anyway, the point is that Faslane is very close to the Highlands, as I said. Geologically it's actually in them.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

We have a prevailing SW.
    And as we saw from Chernobyl, you don't want to be somewhere where it rains a lot.

Would the Falklands be targeted? I suppose they might. Be surviving on seal blubber though.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Leave it, luv. I'm not wurf it.
    No, I won't. I simply ask you to apologise and think very caerfully about why you're doing so.

• Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

The amphibious landing force has probably helped them there. In general, I think that we're all celebrating the failure of the invason a bit prematurely .
    People are understandably hopeful about any good news, but for the most part I think people recognise the Russian's began in a very advantageous position and so the situation remains very difficult.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,540
    edited February 2022

kinabalu said:

Maybe that was the cunning plan by the UK government all along...no need for expensive trident subs, when you have a load of Russian Oligarchs daughters as human shields.
    To be sensible for a moment, I think this was part of the thinking in Germany. If we tie RU closely to EU through trade then there is no way they will let Putin or anyone else go mad on their watch and blow up the economics.

The Chinese are probably wondering the same thing tonight. Time to ditch Putin and his deluded, mystic fantasies and get back to some serious money making?

• Options
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

Wow not your best post HYUFD. I was at Faslane in October. I can assure you it is indeed near the Highlands although I notice you have very, very, naughtily added the word 'central'!!!!

Geologically Faslane is actually in the Highlands because the dividing line of the central belt runs along the Clyde, just south of Helensburgh.

Anyway, the point is that Faslane is very close to the Highlands, as I said. Geologically it's actually in them.
    What would be the central Highlands? Fort Augustus perhaps?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yeah….that’ll work….

It's hard to fathom why sometimes organisations seek an option that is more ludicrous than just doing nothing.
    It isn't hard at all. Money. And for the individuals, not the organisation.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Or just the TV licence?
    Civilisation in the Northern hemisphere but still with pockets of life. Better in the South. Humanity and the planet will both survive.

Edit - the TV licence will stay obviously. Great value for money apparently :)
    Boris Johnson will survive.

Which I admit does make me think twice about it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    Twitter has just found out that Volodymyr Zelensky is the Ukrainian voice of Paddington Bear.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

If I was living in, say, Thailand then I would. I've craved getting back to nature and to the wild. Just not quite via this route.

I was watching Octopussy with my son earlier. Making our way through James Bond films.

I'd always considered the plot a bit far-fetched until today: you know, a deranged ex KGB officer who wants to set off a nuclear bomb in the west ...
    There's probably a number of places in the world where one could continue post-apocalypse without it necessarily being post-apocalypse. Certainly though Britain isn't going to be one of those.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

What we really need is some of those semi-mythical accounts of UFO's shutting down nuclear weapon systems. One or two of those accounts are quite interesting - where's Moonshine when you need him to discuss the details.

I am here. Was busy yesterday buying tinned and dry food. I’m still expecting cyber warfare to make life uncomfortable for us. Not planning for nuclear, what’s the point.

People irl have asked me about whether aliens would save us from nuclear war. I not aware of any evidence of aliens/ufo pilots taking any interest at all in reducing unnecessary human suffering century in the 20th century. Despite similar sightings to the tic tac being made at least as far back as WW2. Old stories about “angels” in the trenches in WW1 but not a lot of evidence to go on. Anyway perhaps if it’s Armageddon they’d take a different view and save us from ourselves, if we / life on earth are their creation for example. I wouldn’t hold out for it though. They could just wait a few half lives instead and try afresh.

And yes, there’s notable on the record accounts of UAP incidents coinciding with the sudden inexplicable disabling of nuclear weapons in both the U.S. and USSR. The story from the North Dakota silo particularly good. So they probably could if they wanted.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

Usual stream - tick

ill-directed - tick

verbal diarrhoea - tick

;)

You upset about something, Malc?
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    darkage said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Surely Russia will eventually 'win', install a compliant government and then the conflict moves on to civil war. In the absence of a peace agreement or nuclear anhillation, what other realistic short to medium term outcomes are there?

My own interpretation of events is that the Ukranians have played an absolutely stunning propoganda war over the last week- intentionally or otherwise. It has already changed the course of European history in a profound way, in that it has united the whole of Europe against Russia. It could well also change the course of Russian history, time will tell.

There isn't enough locals to control the country leaving the Russians to have an occupation force to shore it up. They cannot deploy the sheer number of troops that they have in theater forever, its such a massive percentage of combat power. The National Guard which in effect is Putin's direct internal force separate from the military isnt up to it either.

This assumes though that a full occupation is the Russian objective but there remains doubt over that, particularly the Western region. Necessity may make it a required objective.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,973

They don’t. Many still yearn for independence. Many Chechen fighters have ended up elsewhere in the world, e.g. Syria, after the second Chechen war. I believe some ended up in volunteer battalions fighting for Ukraine. However, Kadyrov got to be in charge by hooking up with Putin and he’s allowed his own private army, and it’s them who got sent into Ukraine.
  • Options
    eek said:

Twitter has just found out that Volodymyr Zelensky is the Ukrainian voice of Paddington Bear.

Did they Peru's the cast list?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,116
    eek said:

The man, the myth, the legend
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,418
    edited February 2022
    PJohnson said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Are you still here?

I look forward to seeing you in the Hague alongside Putin and Lukashenko.

It didn't end well for William Joyce did it?
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

You are arguing Scottish geography with a Scot from your flat in Essex???
    Indeed.

Further to my point below, you should also be careful HYUFD about loosely using the word 'coast'. No one I know has ever described Faslane as being on the coast. Helensburgh isn't even on the coast and Faslane is much further up, right at the top of Gare Loch.

And, besides, it's a distinction I wouldn't want to push. Fort William is right by both a sea loch and the highest mountain in Britain.
  • Options

Yokes said:

nico679 said:

How do these donated weapons get to where they’re needed .

Won’t they be sitting targets crossing by road once they enter Ukraine .

They already are being delivered across uncontested crossings by military and unmarked vehicles. A quick look at the map will tell you where. There is, however, no clarity on how much kit has been sent & how it is getting them to the front line, that methodology is unclear.

There has been no attempt to interfere with it, yet, but, sitting south of Brest, that group of Russian and shortly Belarus military (reportedly 5am local time for their entrance to the party) , might have something to say about it in time.
    This logistics is precisely my big fear now ☹️

Absolutely no chance from the air then?
    This is a very ignorant and naive question but just how easy is it to assemble and operate this 'kit'?

I ask as someone who struggles with anything as complicated as a flatpack from Ikea.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216
    eek said:

More importantly, he won their Strictly in 2006.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

Did they Peru's the cast list?
    Between his leadership and NATO's reinforcements, he's turning the Russian bear into a marmalade sandwich.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

I'd put Fort Augustus on the boundary between the Central Highlands and the W & NW Highlands, with the Great Glen Fault as the dividing line.

Faslane is definitely Highland, although I'd call it SW Highlands, which is mostly Argyll.

Even Arran (North) is technically Highland, and it certainly feels like it on the summit of A' Chir.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Are you still here? I hope you end up in the Hague with Putin and Lukeshenko. William Joyce of course got his comeuppance at Nuremberg.
    PJohnson said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Are you still here?

I look forward to seeing you in the Hague alongside Putin and Lukashenko.

It didn't end well for William Joyce did it?
    Joyce was actually tried at the Old Bailey, not at Nuremberg. Only senior members of the Nazi party were tried at Nuremberg.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Highlands of Scotland?!?

I'd put Fort Augustus on the boundary between the Central Highlands and the W & NW Highlands, with the Great Glen Fault as the dividing line.

Faslane is definitely Highland, although I'd call it SW Highlands, which is mostly Argyll.
    Although being pedantic, I doubt many submarines have ever really got to any high lands. Deep depths, yes.
  • Options

Very long historical, but does come up to date, thread on it here
    https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497612331953577991
This discussion has been closed.