Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The fog of war – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Swedish PM:

Sweden will not be joining NATO.

Not sure it’s her decision to make. She’ll probably be out of office in September.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    If you were Zelenskyy right now, would you go to the Belarus border for a meeting right now? Highly risky

As mentioned yesterday, President Big Hat is due to commit forces over the next 48-72 hours and that has been confirmed by the Ukrainians this afternoon, who said they had reports of Belarus forces prepping. This might be an important addition because it potentially enables the opening of a new front, if the Belarus military can fight.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Belarus poised to declare war on Ukraine as special forces are 'loaded onto planes in preparation for major air assault on Kyiv'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10557221/Ukraine-war-Belarus-poised-declare-war-special-forces-loaded-planes-in.html

Yep it's not just the nuclear threat, we are right on the verge of a huge escalation dragging in other countries.

The western world, probably the whole world, stands right now on the edge of a precipice.

The best hope is that Russian generals see sense and remove the madman. We need to incentivise them to do so.
    Yes. This feels awfully dangerous now. We are one or two geopolitical missteps from a massive war across eastern Europe. And a couple more errors from actual nuclear conflict

When it comes nuclear war will be quick - Hopefully governments in the west are toning down their (understandable) reaction so far and offering Putin a way out .Its sad but Ukraine holding out has made the world a more dangerous place. Escalation here can go exponentially within a couple of hours
    Not another one!
    No-one on this forum has experienced the horrors of war. Iam a man of peace and want a solution hence we must listen to russias concerns before disaster engulfs the west
    O man of peace; Could you just remind us what was the Russian concern which will be solved for them by an ultra violent invasion of a UN recognised non NATO sovereign country bigger than France?

Invasion was sadly a last resort...Putin felt he wasn't listened to and got angry and lashed out
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,187
    alex_ said:

My best case of NATO's response in the case of Putin using nuclear weapons is that it would be launch targeted Trident strikes on all Russian military and nuclear launch facilities to cripple its capability to fight, and would try and destroy Putin personally.

It wouldn't look to irradiate and destroy its major cities, although there would undoubtedly be major collateral damage.

It would depend on the target. If the targets are in Ukraine, I would *not* respond with nukes. I would get a worldwide moratorium on Russia and everything Russian. Make them a pariah state (more so than at the moment).

Sadly, we may need to respond with nukes if the targets were anywhere outside Ukraine.

What worries me is if Russia used chemical or biological weapons. They have the capability, and we don't. Our only response is nuclear.
    How much damage can chemical/biological weapons cause though? Obviously loads of deaths, but not the end of civilisation.
    TimT's an expert on this sort of thing, but some biological weapons (proposed only, hopefully, or if developed long got rid of) were extremely nasty.

And we don't have a response. AIUI, until either Clinton or Obama, the official US response was to use nukes.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,848

Swedish PM:

Not sure it’s her decision to make. She’ll probably be out of office in September.

Sweden will not be joining NATO before October. :smile:
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

Scott_xP said:

I understand that Liz Truss's surprising comments on Brits going to fight in Ukraine this morning took No 10 by surprise...
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/foreign-secretary-liz-truss-back-26341016

They were Ill-advised.

To be fair to her she realised halfway through she’d screwed up and started to back peddle
    Liz Truss answered instinctively, and in the liberal tradition of England to be fair to her, didn’t she? A country that for centuries is happy to provide a safe haven to radical people of all sorts of views, who could be unsafe if they didn’t flee homeland, even Lenin and Stalin lived in London, in Chelsea I think.

Truss did mean whatever your views on this war, British passport holder, but with family ties with one of the protagonists, it’s okay to go and fight for them in this war and come back in afterwards. So politically and morally that is right, fits in with our history and what UK has always been about, just legally it’s tricky?

It would be how it all ties up legally would be a problem wouldn’t it. In this case it’s straightforward in layman’s eyes - Putin, and a few dozen bastards in a bunker, versus the rest of the world, but courts would need something for less clear cut cases where one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter?
  • Options

My best case of NATO's response in the case of Putin using nuclear weapons is that it would be launch targeted Trident strikes on all Russian military and nuclear launch facilities to cripple its capability to fight, and would try and destroy Putin personally.

It wouldn't look to irradiate and destroy its major cities, although there would undoubtedly be major collateral damage.

Not sure about that last point. One strategic problem Russia has always had is that it is basically two cities, Moscow and StP. Russia would have to take out a dozen Western Cities to achieve equivalence.

Incidentally, isn't there a major problem with the idea of Russia nuking Kyiv in that it would certainly damage Belarus and parts of Russia too?
    I just don't think NATO would needlessly target civilians whatever happened.

Of course, it needs to claim it might because that might be the only deterrent that could stop Russia from doing the same to ours.
    First strike? Oh dear. Not a good development.
  • Options

In all the bleak and depressing news our son and daughter in law and their two children called round this afternoon and announced that no three is due on the 1st September

Total surprise but wonderful news and our 5th grandchild

That is excellent news. Congrats. And so good to have something positive on an otherwise bleak and grim world-weary day.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

ping said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Germany has shown the way today with a bold (though belated) u-turn on defence and foreign policy. In Britain can we now have, tomorrow, a proper energy/security policy and a big expansion of the defence budget? Living in a different era now.

This will be difficult for the current Prime Minister and will involve difficult conversations with Mrs Johnson, his father and some of Boris's biggest supporters. So be it. This is not a David Attenborough doc. Energy supply will have to be secured, quickly.

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1497941840133296130

Also going to require a lot of the media pundits to do some serious rewriting of their positions. Boris continuously criticised for not even going anywhere near far enough on the eco-stuff.
    We need to double down on the eco stuff. The less reliance on gas the better.
    We need to be energy secure - in surplus if possible. If that comes from good renewables, so much the better. But if it comes from fuels which dare not speak their name, we just have to live with it for the time being.
    Agreed, but the green lobby won’t allow it. High gas prices are desirable to ensure moving away from gas. They don’t care about the effect on people. Renewables are the desired end game but we don’t want to impoverish people getting there.
    It seems a very good reason for preserving some oil/gas fields, or opening up a new one or two.

'Excuses' available include helping Germany out of the hole it has currently dug for itself.

It is very notable though seldom mentioned that Energy Supplies have been left out of the EU sanctions package, like silk scarves from Milan. I make it that Nordstream 1 is worth about a billion a week to Russia.
    When the war is costing £20b a day that won’t go far
    I don't know where that sum comes from. War is expensive, but not that expensive, at least in direct terms. Possibly the knock on effect for the economy would be.
    Yea. That figure is whiffy.
    Dunno - what is the cost of the military kit he has allegedly lost so far? Although that is a sunk cost.
    What’s the cost of the ruble dropping 10% against the US$ in the past week?

What’s the cost of it dropping 10% more tomorrow, as the ATMs in Moscow run out of cash and credit cards stop working?
    Only 10%?

That seems optimistic.
    Fancy a bet, Bart? I say more than 10%.

How much you want - shall we say 1,000 roubles?
    What's that worth, a buck and a half?

I'd be on the same side as the bet as you hence my 'only'.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,949
    Eabhal said:

Is there any chance that the Ukraine Air Force are operating from Romanian/Polish air fields?

Or being refueled by US tankers?

A US tanker has been circling over Romania most of the day.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Can we get gas from Iraq without going through Russia? I ask because of this article from 2020:
    https://warsawinstitute.org/russias-rosneft-paid-exorbitant-amount-mystery-consultant-kurdistan/

"In early 2019, Rosneft agreed to convert $1.8 billion of its advances into a 60 percent stake in the oil pipeline that provides the only route for the company to export the region’s oil."
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Belarus poised to declare war on Ukraine as special forces are 'loaded onto planes in preparation for major air assault on Kyiv'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10557221/Ukraine-war-Belarus-poised-declare-war-special-forces-loaded-planes-in.html

Yep it's not just the nuclear threat, we are right on the verge of a huge escalation dragging in other countries.

The western world, probably the whole world, stands right now on the edge of a precipice.

The best hope is that Russian generals see sense and remove the madman. We need to incentivise them to do so.
    Yes. This feels awfully dangerous now. We are one or two geopolitical missteps from a massive war across eastern Europe. And a couple more errors from actual nuclear conflict

When it comes nuclear war will be quick - Hopefully governments in the west are toning down their (understandable) reaction so far and offering Putin a way out .Its sad but Ukraine holding out has made the world a more dangerous place. Escalation here can go exponentially within a couple of hours
    Not another one!
    No-one on this forum has experienced the horrors of war. Iam a man of peace and want a solution hence we must listen to russias concerns before disaster engulfs the west
    O man of peace; Could you just remind us what was the Russian concern which will be solved for them by an ultra violent invasion of a UN recognised non NATO sovereign country bigger than France?

Invasion was sadly a last resort...Putin felt he wasn't listened to and got angry and lashed out
    Awww.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,257
    Russian bank Tinkoff now offering to exchange rubles for dollars at a rate of 171 rubles per dollar. It was 83 before the European/US announcement about targeting the Russian central bank. Currency market formally opens tomorrow. This is brutal. https://twitter.com/PaulSonne/status/1497987741354799108/photo/1
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

huge breaking news at BP:

- BP to exit its 20% stake in Russian oil giant Rosneft

- BP chief executive Bernard Looney to resign from board of Rosneft with immediate effect

- https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1497980539483172872

Wow. That's absolutely huge. Good on BP shareholders for forcing the issue.
    Who are they going to sell it to?
    No one. They are writing it off.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 124
    So with the Russian nuclear forces now on alert, and possibly ours to follow, we are in a scenario where all sides will have to be as clear as possible to avoid accidental escalation: https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1497937591710195717 over a period of months to years.

I think that means Boris has to go. We need, at a minimum, a Prime Minister who is in control of their own mouth. Boris isn't.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

the statement from BP says the company will write down up to $25bn at the end of the first quarter as a result of the Rosneft exit
    https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1497985987506544642

This will presumably be followed by the immediate resignation of the Chairman who permitted the company's exposure to such high risk stock.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha!
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,019
    Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Is there any chance that the Ukraine Air Force are operating from Romanian/Polish air fields?

That's risky, if the case. I presumed it was there was NATO jets.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    Heathener said:
    Not sure having the government deciding who can or cannot broadcast is a good thing. An arms-length regulator is a much better idea.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

A whole load of Military jobs are suddenly available in the West - I'd like to encourage the whole of the Russian armed forces to apply.

Hmm. A lot of them don't seem up to it!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

- BP chief executive Bernard Looney to resign from board of Rosneft with immediate effect

Isn’t that effectively transferring a certain fraction of the worth of the company to the Russians?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,377
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Russian bank Tinkoff now offering to exchange rubles for dollars at a rate of 171 rubles per dollar. It was 83 before the European/US announcement about targeting the Russian central bank. Currency market formally opens tomorrow. This is brutal. https://twitter.com/PaulSonne/status/1497987741354799108/photo/1

Any PBer got any roubles they want to offload? I'm offering $1 for 500. Any takers?

In my element here. :smile:
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,436

It would depend on the target. If the targets are in Ukraine, I would *not* respond with nukes. I would get a worldwide moratorium on Russia and everything Russian. Make them a pariah state (more so than at the moment).

Sadly, we may need to respond with nukes if the targets were anywhere outside Ukraine.

What worries me is if Russia used chemical or biological weapons. They have the capability, and we don't. Our only response is nuclear.
    I just hope there's no accidents or crossed wires. I don't have too much faith in rational game theory on this one.

https://boingboing.net/2017/04/07/that-dr-stranglove-scene-wher.html
  • Options
    For the first time in 22 years, I am actually starting to believe that Putin’s hold on power may be on shaky ground. Not because of some Plpeople’s uprising—that’s a fanciful dream—but because there is now a small but non-zero chance of a palace coup 🧵
    https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497966928815603715

One way that the West could increase likelihood of this outcome is to enact sanctions on more members of the intelligence services and the military further down the chain, as well as their families. Eg. General officers and even colonels https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497982559782846478
  • Options
    That was close! The post stopped Moscow FC from going in the lead in the Cup Final.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    I have some feeling the moment of worst danger is now over. I hope I'm right.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    Apparently the Russians have form for kidnapping when inviting people to talks. I hope Zelensky is careful or not going himself.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,823

Scott_xP said:

I understand that Liz Truss's surprising comments on Brits going to fight in Ukraine this morning took No 10 by surprise...
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/foreign-secretary-liz-truss-back-26341016

They were Ill-advised.

To be fair to her she realised halfway through she’d screwed up and started to back peddle
    Liz Truss answered instinctively, and in the liberal tradition of England to be fair to her, didn’t she? A country that for centuries is happy to provide a safe haven to radical people of all sorts of views, who could be unsafe if they didn’t flee homeland, even Lenin and Stalin lived in London, in Chelsea I think.

Truss did mean whatever your views on this war, British passport holder, but with family ties with one of the protagonists, it’s okay to go and fight for them in this war and come back in afterwards. So politically and morally that is right, fits in with our history and what UK has always been about, just legally it’s tricky?

It would be how it all ties up legally would be a problem wouldn’t it. In this case it’s straightforward in layman’s eyes - Putin, and a few dozen bastards in a bunker, versus the rest of the world, but courts would need something for less clear cut cases where one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter?
    It was a mistake by Truss. A forgiveable mistake.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,427
    RobD said:

Heathener said:
    Not sure having the government deciding who can or cannot broadcast is a good thing. An arms-length regulator is a much better idea.
    I find this kind of wishy-washy sentimentalism over civil liberties when the whole western world is getting sucked into an actual war on the ground, which has just been taken to a whole different nuclear threat level, naive and touching.

Have you looked at the stuff coming out on RT? Some of it is utterly disgraceful. There is NO place for RT to be broadcasting at the present time.

When Putin removes Russian troops from Ukraine, fine they can re-broadcast.
  • Options
    85h of defence.Intimidation of 🇺🇦 is imprudent. Its impossible to break our defenders,moreover its impossible to make the Kyiv lay down arms.The times are difficult,but it will pass.🇺🇦 will win.We’re already winning.Therefore, we advise the occupiers to go home. It's not too late https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1497982463334928391/photo/1
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I make it that Nordstream 1 is worth about a billion a week to Russia.

I think you are a little high with that estimate.

Russian natural gas exports (total) are 6.5% of $400bn - or $25bn/year*. And their gas is exported through three major pipelines, half a dozen minor ones, and two LNG plants (Sakhalin-2 and Yamal).

Nordstream 1 is a big pipe, sending about 40BCM of gas a year, but it is smaller than the pipeline that runs through Ukraine (a 65BCM pipe).

Total exports of natural gas to non-former USSR countries are about 185BCM a year, so Nordstream 1 is probably more like $1bn every six weeks.

* That's the 2019 number. As gas contracts are mostly oil price linked, the number is probably a bit higher today, but almost certainly not more than $40bn.
    I'd say that 10-20 billion $ pa is within my margin of error, especially as I named no currency ( :smile: ) .

Some numbers here :https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/russias-oil-gas-revenue-windfall-2022-01-21/

Price about $250 per 1000 cm.

I simply went for the capacity of NS1 for a ballpark - 55 BCM.

Either way it's a lorra-lorra dosh they are still getting.
  • Options
    Tomorrow, Russia will be outside global finances.
    Few can travel there because almost all international flights have ceased.
    Credit cards and other international means of payment will cease.
    The stock market and Russian bonds will collapse.
    Putin is a true disaster for Russia.

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1497972367695310849
  • Options

Apparently the Russians have form for kidnapping when inviting people to talks. I hope Zelensky is careful or not going himself.

Zoom calls work!
  • Options
    Yokes said:

If you were Zelenskyy right now, would you go to the Belarus border for a meeting right now? Highly risky

As mentioned yesterday, President Big Hat is due to commit forces over the next 48-72 hours and that has been confirmed by the Ukrainians this afternoon, who said they had reports of Belarus forces prepping. This might be an important addition because it potentially enables the opening of a new front, if the Belarus military can fight.

Good chance then we'll get rid of two bastard leaders before this ends.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

alex_ said:

How much damage can chemical/biological weapons cause though? Obviously loads of deaths, but not the end of civilisation.
    TimT's an expert on this sort of thing, but some biological weapons (proposed only, hopefully, or if developed long got rid of) were extremely nasty.

And we don't have a response. AIUI, until either Clinton or Obama, the official US response was to use nukes.
    Russia still has her smallpox samples.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

I don't like the accusation of trolling but, truly, this really does sound like it's being written in the Kremlin.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:
    I find this kind of wishy-washy sentimentalism over civil liberties when the whole western world is getting sucked into an actual war on the ground, which has just been taken to a whole different nuclear threat level, naive and touching.

Have you looked at the stuff coming out on RT? Some of it is utterly disgraceful. There is NO place for RT to be broadcasting at the present time.

Yes, this time it might make sense. But who knows what media outlet the government might decide to ban next.

No reason this can’t be left to an independent regulator, rather than decided by a politician.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

It’s admiring the cathedral.
    There are some particularly lovely churches in Suceava. Very close to the Ukraine border though.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

alex_ said:

Go Sweden!

Carl Bildt
    @carlbildt
    In the one country after the other what was unthinkable yesterday becomes necessary today. 🇸🇪 now announces sending also 5.000 AT4 antitank weapons to 🇺🇦. That’s substantial. It’s an effective weapon highly regarded by also the US Army.

https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1497983633365286914

At this rate Ukraine is going to be the most well equipped army in Europe. (Admittedly this is Sweden but) I do wonder a bit about whether there becomes a point whereby the distinction about NATO involvement or not is determined by boots on the ground is purely academic. And how that changes things (it probably explains Putin’s action today)
    If the distinction is less than Ukraine might more easily concede not to seek to join NATO, but presumably would make it less a concession to Russian eyes. And the wish to join the EU would remain.
    Might be the spur to the EU getting its own functioning armed forces - that have their own NATO Article 5 commitment.

Ukraine effectively gets NATO by the back door?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Scott_xP said:

Second, we will ban the Kremlin’s media machine in the EU.

The state-owned Russia Today and Sputnik, and their subsidiaries,
    will no longer be able to spread their lies to justify Putin’s war.

We are developing tools to ban their toxic and harmful disinformation in Europe. https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497973706831929348/photo/1

Exposing liars and disinformation is the right way to confront a dictatorship, not suspending free speech.

I think this is yet another mistake by the EU. I hope we don't make it.
    I have some sympathy for what you are saying. Momentarily we will go to bed self satisfied, but wake to the news the bbc that cuts through to a great many in Russia has been banned, whilst gibberish with no viewing figures in this country is the counterweight to that loss.

If you are are so pent up with frustration can’t do more to help, perhaps because you were too slow, missed a boat and it’s too late, you end up just doing “stuff” some of it even counter productive?

If anybody had time to waste on Comical Ali awarded RT, then they are the lazy and useless smelly who have’t forked the compost in yet and never swill out their wheelie bin. Let’s call them out for what they are.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156

In all the bleak and depressing news our son and daughter in law and their two children called round this afternoon and announced that no three is due on the 1st September

Total surprise but wonderful news and our 5th grandchild

Fantastic! Pass on the congrats of "an internet rando" (me).
  • Options

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

Ha!
    I know. My two-year-old used to do the same when I told her she couldn't have things, so obviously I finished up giving her everything she wanted.

• Options

I have some feeling the moment of worst danger is over. I hope I'm right.

Really? I feel the opposite.

On what basis?
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Isn’t that effectively transferring a certain fraction of the worth of the company to the Russians?
    Yes it all goes back to Rosneft. But the reason BP would have been involved was capital investment that was needed to run operations and upon which they get a return. By pulling out they are helping to isolate Rosneft from the investment sources they need to continue to operate. BP are taking a hit here but it seriously undermines the viability of Rosneft and their ability to operate.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Do only older people say "tuned into" these days?

We all dropped out.

(Who Timothy Leary?)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Swedish PM:

Genuine question, would it make a big difference?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

Rt has its place as a counterweight to the propaganda of the bbc
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

I have some feeling the moment of worst danger is over. I hope I'm right.

Really? I feel the opposite.

On what basis?
    Zelenskiy's last statement, my sense of China playing a role behind the scenes, Putin having to accommodate things, and one of my general "feelings". Sometimes my "feelings" are right, such as early on in Covid about when it was starting to level out, and other times not so good, but I'm feeling more hopeful.
  • Options
    This doesn't sound good

Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko's response when asked by AP's @FrancescaEbel if there are plans to evacuate civilians from the city
    ... after a few seconds silence....
    "We can't do that, because all ways are blocked," he finally said. "Right now we are encircled."

https://twitter.com/robcrilly/status/1497990061547216907
  • Options

Should also mention because it isn't being mentioned enough elsewhere that the Russian central bank have appealed for calm after so many people tried to get their money out of ATMs.

The full banking crisis starts tomorrow though, when people can't their money out of branches....
    Yup. China will turn the screws and extract its demands, too. Settle this down or no help.
    It would be somewhat par for the course of this fucked up campaign if it were the bankers wot won it.....
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,377
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

I don't like the accusation of trolling but, truly, this really does sound like it's being written in the Kremlin.
    Careful Heathener. Even the Kremlin isn't that pathetic. They could reasonably sue for libel.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

Most accusations of trolling are just frustration at an unliked opinion. But I cannot see how someone could genuinely hold the view that invasion was justifiable on the basis Putin was angry at not being listened to. That's so far beyond taking a view about seeking to address concerns.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

What are you on about?
  • Options

I have some feeling the moment of worst danger is over. i hope I'm right,

Opposite here. It's all going too well. Expecting a great clunking fist, not nuclear but say an overnight carpet bombing of Kyiv.
  • Options

Everything must change so that things can remain the same. Decision making in and between democracies can be slow, depressingly slow, but when things start to move, they can move quickly. We live in a Europe that is entirely different to the one that existed a week ago. This is beginning to feel like 1989.

That's good, finally all the Thatcher stuff will be relevant again, whcih should make political activists happy.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

It’s admiring the cathedral.
    In the same vein, perhaps a lot of NATO troops could just take a holiday?
  • Options

PJohnson said:

Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

If you're not a troll, you are an excellent spoof
    The Stuart Truth of the Ukraine Crisis.

Maybe it is Stuart? Maybe he's been out of work since the Romney election?
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

This is shite.

I've been reading some of RT (a channel on which I have been interviewed btw) and many of the articles are disgraceful. There is NO justification on any grounds for what Putin has done in Ukraine and his state broadcasting should not be permitted to broadcast in western Europe until his forces withdraw.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    We are relying on the tact and diplomatic finesse of Liz Truss and Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

Though it is worth pointing out that we never made it illegal to listen to Lord Haw Haw in WW2. I think you probably need to give people some credit for their ability to discern propaganda. The more important point is the one made earlier that a tit for tat would cut off many Russians from the BBC which is an important source of information.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

Ha!
    I know. My two-year-old used to do the same when I told her she couldn't have things, so obviously I finished up giving her everything she wanted.

Your two-year-old threatened to nuke you if she couldn't have some sweeties?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,046

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

Ha!

She launched wars of aggression ?
    Disturbing precocity.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    nico679 said:

Yokes said:

I don’t think he’s going . That would be far too risky and so I would have thought he’s sending representatives.
    Even that's risky for tracking reasons. I suspect the Russians cant find him or his ministers as no indication of a deliberate strike against him. I thought the GRU operating incognito in Kiev might have given such an assault a crack early on but a lot of them appear to have picked up.

Just one other note: I see occasional comments about the idea of Russian poor conscripts who barely know the right end of a gun being thrown into this conflict. The Russian military in-theater is majority contract professionals.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes it all goes back to Rosneft. But the reason BP would have been involved was capital investment that was needed to run operations and upon which they get a return. By pulling out they are helping to isolate Rosneft from the investment sources they need to continue to operate. BP are taking a hit here but it seriously undermines the viability of Rosneft and their ability to operate.
    Politically perhaps this will - as a side effect - spike any debate of a windfall tax.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

We are relying on the tact and diplomatic finesse of Liz Truss and Boris Johnson.

No we aren't.

The time for tact was before Russia invaded. Macron tried that and it was a disaster (no objection to him trying).

Boris has been through this wonderfully blunt and untactful. Between Macron and Boris there was a good cop/bad cop dynamic.

That last thing that is needed at the minute is tact.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PJohnson said:

Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

What are you on about?
    Putin is a great man who launched a massive miltiary invasion as a totally reasonable measure because people wouldn't return his emails about Ukrainians seeking nukes or something, hadn't you noticed?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Opposite here. It's all going too well. Expecting a great clunking fist, not nuclear but say an overnight carpet bombing of Kyiv.
    That could still happen. I have some feeling that the nuclear danger has subsided slightly, though.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

Ha!

Your two-year-old threatened to nuke you if she couldn't have some sweeties?
    Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

nico679 said:

Yokes said:

I don’t think he’s going . That would be far too risky and so I would have thought he’s sending representatives.
    Even that's risky for tracking reasons. I suspect the Russians cant find him or his ministers as no indication of a deliberate strike against him. I thought the GRU operating incognito in Kiev might have given such an assault a crack early on but a lot of them appear to have picked up.

Just one other note: I see occasional comments about the idea of Russian poor conscripts who barely know the right end of a gun being thrown into this conflict. The Russian military in-theater is majority contract professionals.
    Agreed. It's very dangerous to underestimate the Russians, and they can learn quickly.
  • Options

Should also mention because it isn't being mentioned enough elsewhere that the Russian central bank have appealed for calm after so many people tried to get their money out of ATMs.

The full banking crisis starts tomorrow though, when people can't their money out of branches....
    Yup. China will turn the screws and extract its demands, too. Settle this down or no help.
    It would be somewhat par for the course of this fucked up campaign if it were the bankers wot won it.....
    China could make some easy gains in Russia's disillusioned empire as a result of this.

(I don't particularly think the Chinese want to Empire-build in a European sense)
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    edited February 2022
    Liverpool 1-0 Kremlin Blues

EDIT: Bugger, back to 0-0
  • Options
    The tectonic plates are going to be worn out soon they’re moving so much.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

RobD said:

Heathener said:

So you believe in freedom of speech, right up to the point where you find it convenient to silence someone? And probably in no imprisonment without trial, right up to when you find a really nasy piece of work who hasn't *technically* broken any laws *yet.* It's not wishy-washy sentimentalism you dislike, it's civil liberties. I'd suggest a move to Moscow, you can pick up a really nice flat very reasonably if you pay in dollars.
  • Options

Russia has already used nuclear and chemical weapons on our soil.

I don't think Putin has many boundaries.
  • Options

Swedish PM:

Sweden to send Ukraine cash, helmets and anti-tank weapons.

Will Putin consider this to be military assistance? If so, this may be the last you’ll ever hear from this particular troublesome Jock.

was for these unintended consequences the phrase “give war a chance” was invented.

I may be drunk. I may be Christian. And this may be too deep. But this is God’s design. For all the pain, good can come from it too. Like people being brought back together, or finding each other for the first time, or seeing clearly, and connecting with their cause. (And cantankerous ex pat jocks with rubbish avatar they should have changed ages ago now disappearing off our site) good consequences. What befell Stephen may have been violent and horrible, but the consequence it proved catalyst to spread the good news around the world.

God designed the storms of winter, so we can know spring again.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,187
    IMV the longer Putin rants and raves about nukes in the manner he is, the less likely he is to be able to use them. Sane people in the Russian chain of command are more likely to see sense.

What worries me is a quick, impromptu usage.
  • Options
    At some point, the UK government has very serious thinking to do about what an entirely new EU and a NATO in which the German voice is so much louder means for us as a country. None of this would have seemed even remotely likely just a week ago. All past assumptions are gone.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

For a Dutch shunt..
  • Options

I would just like to thank everyone who has commented on or liked our news of our 5th grandchild on the way for 1st Sept

This is such an amazing forum as we collectively, across the political divide, come together to celebrate good news

The very best of PB

I missed this earlier so many congratulations Big_G. It is very true to say it gives everyone that little bit of hope in dark times.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

The time for tact was before Russia invaded. Macron tried that and it was a disaster (no objection to him trying).

Boris has been through this wonderfully blunt and untactful. Between Macron and Boris there was a good cop/bad cop dynamic.

You lived through the dick-shrivelling embarrassment of Lizzie Goes To Moscow, and you are still prepared to have a pop at Macron?
  • Options
    VAR saves Chelsea

Shame
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Not yet
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    PJohnson said:

algarkirk said:

PJohnson said:

Chris said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Not another one!

For FS just give it up. Brave, innocent men, women and children are dying as we speak. I am frankly not in the mood to listen to a pathetic apologist for a murderous despot.
  • Options
    On the rights of Russian and Ukrainians in Donetsk.

https://snyder.substack.com/p/isolation?utm_source=url
    … The art foundation was expelled, and its premises, the old insulation factory, taken over by Russian-backed separatists. They transformed it into a concentration camp and torture facility, which it remains, under Russian control, to this day. "Isolation" then took on yet a third meaning: not insulation materials, not the solitude of the artist, but the loneliness of the tortured. The art foundation itself moved to Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital.

In the history of this one building, then, we can see three phases of the recent history of Ukraine: the Soviet Union (the factory), independent Ukraine (the experiment), and Russian occupation (the camp). This story has been told a few times in the West but is not, I think, very well known. It is a small part of the recent history of Ukraine that helps to explain why Ukrainians resist the way they do…

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

What’s your view of the endgame? Not sure we should be putting all our eggs in the basket where Putin changes his mind or suddenly throws his hands up and says he’s had enough.

At some point, someone, somewhere will have to be clever. Hopefully they are doing that now.

Is there a Russian general who doesn’t like this, who needs reassurances?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,907
    edited February 2022

IshmaelZ said:

That could still happen. I have some feeling that the nuclear danger has subsided slightly, though.
    I wish I shared your confidence.

Am I the only one running through my plans for "what would we (Mrs. P and I) do in the event of a full-scale nuclear war"?

(Hint, none of the options involve long-term survival).
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

No way he goes himself. Even if they kept their word on his safety DURING the talks it would expose his location afterwards.
  • Options
    Canada declared their airspace closed to Russian aircraft. Watching sanctions work in real time is fun. https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/1497994166495817728
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,041

The tectonic plates are going to be worn out soon they’re moving so much.

Don't go there with Continental drift.
    That was yesterday.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

nico679 said:

Yokes said:

An interesting clip here. A Russian column being turned around by a bunch of civilians refusing to get out of the road.

https://twitter.com/IrmatovUzbek/status/1497968372910374918?t=pSR_NRzpNtpJMFvMlM_1UQ&s=19
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Swedish PM:

The polls show S+V usually ahead of M+KD+C by a few points, so a change probably depends on willingness of the Moderates to team up with the Sweden Democrats. Have they softened on that?
  • Options
    UvdL …

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497972564634882048
    We are stepping up our support for Ukraine.

For the first time, the EU will finance the purchase and delivery of weapons and equipment to a country under attack.

We are also strengthening our sanctions against the Kremlin.
This discussion has been closed.