Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first findings from the Grey report don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Andy_JS said:

Theresa May basically calling for Johnson to go.

Something something ex leaders should keep their traps shut something sour grapes
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Just switched on as Starmer was asking his last question. Disastrous response from Boris which horribly contrasted with the icy demeanour of his predecessor who then followed him. He really needs to go, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Hoyle is hopeless
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Blackford poor today

You what?

On bloody fire. A performance for the ages.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Blackford gets a red.

No he didn't.
    Yes he did!
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,231
    Cheerio Blackford!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,479
    Blackford should have pressed on there.

Would have helped emphasis the issue.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,880
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Blackford gets a red.

No he didn't.
    VAR says he did...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,536
    Mitchell calls for him to go
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    blackford thrown out!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202

Hoyle is hopeless

Hoyle having a mare this afternoon, totally muddled
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    Lyndsey Hoyle found that genuinely upsetting
  • Options
    Blackford making it about him and is going to make the headlines and deflect the story

Andrew Mitchell withdraws support

Boris is on his way out
  • Options
    Andrew Mitchell withdraws his support for Boris Johnson.
  • Options

Blackford should have pressed on there.

Would have helped emphasis the issue.

Well that post aged well!!!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,156
    edited January 2022

Cheerio Blackford!

Only one with a backbone in the place or as now out of the place
  • Options
    Wow - Andrew Mitchell is going for him!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,051
    Letters must be close to 54 today.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Blackford gets a red.

No he didn't.
    VAR says he did...
    Yes. Took about five minutes too. So must be VAR.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202
    Andrew Mitchell follows May and hits out at the PM.

Tells the PM he no longer enjoys his support
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Parties would have not happened under May's watch, absolutely 100% sure of that

Telegraph Politics
    @TelePolitics
    Red circle Alcohol-filled luggage was not just a feature of Boris Johnson’s Downing Street, The Telegraph can reveal.

It was also seen in the days of both David Cameron and Theresa May Downwards arrow
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/30/partygate-suitcase-wine-dates-back-days-david-cameron-theresa/
    https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1487880596047208457
    If so, we're there any rules against it at the time?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Oof. Andrew Mitchell...
  • Options
    Mitchell gone.
  • Options

Johnson has totally fecked up the tone in his reply

All that rubbish about Jimmy Saville as well

Missed that. What did he say about Savile?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Starmer must be overjoyed.

Not enough to topple Johnson before the next election. But enough to leave the stench of criminality around him for good.

Far too early to say that.

If the Met determine the PM broke the law (considering the flat is one investigated by them) then surely that is the end of Boris.

If the Met determine the law wasn't broken, then that should be the end of the matter too.

Either way, I don't see how this can drag on until the election.
    That's a reframing in his favour that doesn't work. The bar is whether he lied to Parliament not whether he gets a fixed penalty notice. If he lied to Parliament he must go. Or to put it differently, if the evidence shows he lied to Parliament about these rule-breaking parties in the middle of a pandemic but he *still* won't resign, Tory MPs simply must remove him. And if they don't the public must punish them with a shellacking in the polls and a landslide loss of seats. If none of this happens we're fucked. It's Banana Republic and total loss of self-respect here we come.
    Whether the law was broken, or whether the rules were broken, is the same thing.

Guidelines are not rules. They're guidelines. Laws are the rules.

This lies to Parliament thing is weird because if the threshold to say he lied has been met, the threshold he has to go for other reasons has also already been met. So yes if he's lied to Parliament he should go, but in this case it's an unnecessary and redundant condition.
    No, if he lied it doesn't follow he'll get a penalty notice. Likewise if he doesn't get a penalty notice it doesn't follow he didn't lie.

He said he had no knowledge of rule-breaking events. Will the Gray Report (when we get the proper one) and/or the Met investigation show that to be a lie?

Let's see.
    If the PM knew the law was being broken by either himself or his team and did nothing about it then he should resign. Whether he'd said to the House that the law wasn't being broken or not.

Lawmakers can not be lawbreakers.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    32s
    Bernard Jenkin and Steve Baker trying to get in. Their interventions could be significant.
  • Options
    This must be terminal
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Blackford gets a red.

Should Starmer have gone for it? Would get attention!
    Every opposition speaker should accuse him of misleading Parliament till the Chamber is barren
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301

Blackford making it about him and is going to make the headlines and deflect the story

Boris is on his way out

Blackford pointedly refusing to withdraw an allegation that BJ lied to the house may not be entirely bad politics.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    How longs Blackford out for? Forever??
  • Options

Wow "SKS as DPP spent his time prosecuting journalists but not Jimmy Saville as far as i can see"

That is quite the non sequitur. I get falling back on the Brexit war tropes to distract from a bad moment, but you have to be little focused in reply.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,813
    Not going well for @BorisJohnson. He's tried the tub thumping stuff from PMQs but seems he's misjudged the mood. Lots of glum Tory faces. And Theresa May whacked him

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1488179717421383686?s=20&t=nQZNfBgj7Fd6QKC6qfr2UA
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andrew Mitchell follows May and hits out at the PM.

Tells the PM he no longer enjoys his support

Revenge of the Remainers.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Andy_JS said:

Basically blamed Starmer for not prosecuting Jimmy Saville.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039
    edited January 2022
    Andy_JS said:

He said AIUI that it was SKS's fault Saville didn't get prosecuted. Not a comparison I would want to have made about myself - seeing as it was SKS "prosecuting" Mr Johnson this afternoon, unfairly so under Mr J's argument (I think).
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    IshmaelZ said:

This must be terminal

BF down to 5
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

This must be terminal

No, Big Dog has no shame.

He will have to be dragged out.
  • Options

That was very thorough from Graham Stuart, I wonder if he found any polyps up there?

Plenty on the Tory benches, so he was looking in the wrong place.
  • Options

Blackford poor today

I thought you were a honest person G, that is shocking partisan crap and puts HYFUD to shame, I cannot believe you are much worse than him. Only person with a backbone in the place
  • Options
    It was always going to be near-impossible for Boris to handle this situation in the Commons, but I'm surprised he didn't at least attempt the humble contrition gambit. That probably shows how flustered he is.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,995
    Just accus

Boris is on his way out

Blackford pointedly refusing to withdraw an allegation that BJ lied to the house may not be entirely bad politics.
    Should've done it quietly, and quoted the response by Johnson on the party.

Ask the Speaker to advise which is to be believed - the report in the library of the commons, or the PMs earlier statement.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

What a time to be alive when Starmer, May, and Blackford are all correct at the same time.

SNORE
  • Options
    Foxy said:

jonny83 said:

Telegraph Politics
    @TelePolitics
    Red circle Alcohol-filled luggage was not just a feature of Boris Johnson’s Downing Street, The Telegraph can reveal.

It was also seen in the days of both David Cameron and Theresa May Downwards arrow
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/30/partygate-suitcase-wine-dates-back-days-david-cameron-theresa/
    That one was 'pubs were open, rule of six outside, but if you're working in Government, don't be a dick, it's a big day tomorrow'.
  • Options
    I fully expect Boris Johnson to say in the next few minutes that there are no American tanks in Baghdad.
  • Options

Boris is on his way out

While SKS does the quiet, reasonable and forensic thing.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Boris is on his way out

Yes, I'm no fan of Blackford but he's played that perfectly from the SNP's point of view. Already looking past this immediate farce and doing the groundwork on what comes next.
  • Options
    DearPB said:

Hoyle is the worst speaker in history , a weak lickspittle.
  • Options
    Caroline Nokes with a decent question there.
  • Options
    "the suggestion that things were going on that were against the rules"

The suggestion?

Time for Dom's photo drop.
  • Options

Theresa May excoriating
    Gray shows No10 didn't observe rules it imposed. "Either [he] hasn't read the rules, or understood the rules or didn't think the rules applied to No 10? Which is it"
    PM gives her short shrift, full denial mode in tone cld well further incense some MPs

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1488178450888372224?s=20&t=nQZNfBgj7Fd6QKC6qfr2UA

It was clear from the start of this affair that if events did take place the only possible defence was an 'I'm stupid' defence, which is the last gasp defence of any politician.

Since at least some events are acknowledged to have taken place I'm not sure attempting other than an I'm stupid defence is viable.
  • Options
    Davey - What? 100ks of parents burying their children? Obv even one is too many, but that is barking
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    malcolmg said:

DearPB said:

Yes he needs to go too, all this censoring of MPs speaking the truth looks absurd.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

jonny83 said:

Telegraph Politics
    @TelePolitics

I was responding to "Parties would have not happened under May's watch, absolutely 100% sure of that"

Which doesn't say anything about rule-breaking parties.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    malcolmg said:

DearPB said:

No - there's Michael Martin.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Blackford poor today

I thought you were a honest person G, that is shocking partisan crap and puts HYFUD to shame, I cannot believe you are much worse than him. Only person with a backbone in the place
    He was poor in the sense making it about him and misjudged how he came across
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    What's news here? Johnson is and has always been a liar.

The vile corrupt sleazy Tories made this lying piece of shit their leader. They will hopefully follow a similar fate to the disingenuous fat philanderer.
  • Options
    More (un)friendly fire from the Tory benches......
  • Options

It was always going to be near-impossible for Boris to handle this situation in the Commons, but I'm surprised he didn't at least attempt the humble contrition gambit. That probably shows how flustered he is.

The problem you have there is Boris and humble.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    32s
    Bernard Jenkin and Steve Baker trying to get in. Their interventions could be significant.

Jenkin is just a toady
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,457
    Bring back Bercow - Hoyle has a face like a whipped custard.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,393
    Andy_JS said:

That Starmer was only interested in prosecuting journalists and not Saville. It was very good.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

What a time to be alive when Starmer, May, and Blackford are all correct at the same time.

SNORE
    JBasket, your boy's taking a hell of a beating.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Telegraph Politics
    @TelePolitics

During the well known pandemic of 2018 no doubt.

As predicted at the time, the 'it was the longstanding culture at fault' will be the cry. So much for government responding to things quickly.
  • Options
    It's not going terribly well, is it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    Sir Bernard Jenkin calls on No 10 to be streamlined and for more Cabinet Govt but not for him to go.
  • Options
    I switched off after Blackford which is a shame as I should have done it before obviously.

I take it he's not banned from the Commons for good (thanks to VAR)?

If he had the balls to stand on his feet while taking his punishment would it have been By-election time?????
  • Options
    I get the impression the PM hasn’t really thought through how he plans to reform Number 10

https://twitter.com/anandMenon1/status/1488180935807979523?s=20&t=nQZNfBgj7Fd6QKC6qfr2UA
  • Options
    Sir Bernard Jenkins puts him on a few months notice
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,995
    There is no consensus among the Tories (see Jenkins). Going to be a civil war tonight.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    32s

Jenkin is just a toady
    Jenkin - not significant
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,687
    The COVID case panic has been delayed.

Please wait patiently.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

DearPB said:

No - there's Michael Martin.
    I was including him and he was wretched.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

Telegraph Politics
    @TelePolitics

During the well known pandemic of 2018 no doubt.

As predicted at the time, the 'it was the longstanding culture at fault' will be the cry. So much for government responding to things quickly.
    The post I replied to didn't mention the pandemic, just that there would not have been parties under May.
  • Options

It's not going terribly well, is it.

On the contrary.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

SNORE
    Basket case will not be able to work that out.
  • Options

The COVID case panic has been delayed.

Please wait patiently.

The Met have asked to have it redacted??
  • Options

Sir Bernard Jenkins puts him on a few months notice

Thats a clear, we'll kick you out after the May elections if you don't buck up..
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    malcolmg said:

Blackford poor today

Thankfully the Welsh as a whole are not as ignorant as Big G. Wales, like Scotland and London will be a Tory free zone soon...
  • Options
    Fabric*nt dares show his face
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Letters must be close to 54 today.

Why? Is anyone changing their mind?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Blackford poor today

He was poor in the sense making it about him and misjudged how he came across
    Not at all he told teh truth that Boris had lied and misled teh house, 100% accurate as everyone knows.
  • Options
    Very awkward squad along Mitchell's row - Baker, Davis, Redwood, etc. Real back seat of the bus group.
  • Options

I fully expect Boris Johnson to say in the next few minutes that there are no American tanks in Baghdad.

Are there these days?
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 401
    I can't understand why the PM thinks it's effective to tell opposition MPs off for focusing too much on parties during a statement called for that express purpose.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DearPB said:

Didn't he lose a child recently
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

SNORE
    He signed off on the Sec 30 response letter. A fresh signature on the next one might work out just fine.
  • Options
    Tough for Boris here. He thought announcing an Office for Number 10 would buy him time.
    Now impertinent upstarts are asking for details!
    So unfair.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,426
    This really isn't going well for Johnson.

Theresa May was a zinger. Keir Starmer was impressive today.

I think a lot of tory MPs know what they have to do but Johnson has a habit of getting away with it so I'm still not holding my breath.

(Amazingly, I thought Priti Patel looked pretty pissed off with Johnson and was nodding through much of Keir Starmer's speech.)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DearPB said:

No - Michael Martin (expenses) and Bercow (it's all about Bercow) were worse.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,046

I get the impression the PM hasn’t really thought through how he plans to reform Number 10

https://twitter.com/anandMenon1/status/1488180935807979523?s=20&t=nQZNfBgj7Fd6QKC6qfr2UA

Boris only cares about getting through until the end of the day.

Tomorrow is another issue that can wait until, well, tomorrow.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Tough for Boris here. He thought announcing an Office for Number 10 would buy him time.
    So unfair.

Boris doesn't do details.
  • Options
    Come on backbench Tories do your duty....
  • Options

Foxy said:

jonny83 said:

Telegraph Politics
    @TelePolitics

I was responding to "Parties would have not happened under May's watch, absolutely 100% sure of that"

Which doesn't say anything about rule-breaking parties.
    I think the one before Prince Phillip's funeral hits the mark because (a) it actually could have been legal, done differently* and (b) the suitcase!.

The link provided shows that the culture of drinking, which Gray highlights in point 4 is not a Boris thing but wider spread.

4. The excessive consumption of alcohol is not appropriate in a professional workplace at any time. Steps must be taken to ensure that every Government Department has a clear and robust policy in place covering the consumption of alcohol in the workplace.

*Earlier that week, for example, I was sitting on a bench of six but knew practically everyone on all the other handful of benches out the front of the pub.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Mark Harper with a pointed intervention about publishing the full report

The clown refuses to commit
  • Options

I can sort of understand it from his pov. Contrition, of attempted, wouldn't call off his internal critics, so a confident, punchy response stirs up his backers at least.
  • Options
    Bloody hell is that one Jeremy Corbyn sitting there mask worn any old how and below his nose.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

So unfair.

I suspect that will go the way of the Civil Service moving to Manchester.
  • Options
    Hywel Williams not someone I'd pick a fight with
This discussion has been closed.