Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some terrible findings for Johnson & co from YouGov – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,272

I appreciate this might just be me but why does the uncouth fucker always have to put his feet on the desk?

"Boris Johnson puts his feet up in a photograph taken at 10 Downing Street on December 23 2020"

Beverages in shot...

What a general pig sty the place is.
    Indeed. Shambolic office - shambolic administration. What a fucking joke.

People will say we get the government we deserve but no, this country deserves much better than this bunch of inept chancers.
  • Speaking of workplace drinking & pubs, how many of the latter are there in the Palace of Westminster these days?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Scott_xP said:

So "Operation Save Big Dog" boils down to "someone else did it and ran away"

The story of his entire fucking life.

If they fall for it again, they deserve to lose for a generation

The name also recalls the Kabul airlift, probably the single most disgusting act of his premiership and perhaps his life.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,733
    Written before the fridge story

But the bigger problem for Boris Johnson and the Conservatives is this: the story is simply very funny. A government can weather all sorts of things, but perhaps the most dangerous in lots of ways is it for to look ridiculous. One MP despaired to me that the party looked “like a clown show”, while another said that the issue was “bigger than the parties. A critical mass of people [in the parliamentary party] have decided they don’t think this guy can run the fucking government”. Another despaired that the government had two problems: “we look arrogant because we had these parties. We look shit because we couldn’t even cover them up properly”.

It may well mark the point at which voters are no longer laughing with Boris Johnson, but at Boris Johnson. The question for the Conservative party will be whether the bigger problem is that the entire party struggles to walk off the impression that is both arrogant and incompetent.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/conservatives/2022/01/the-conservatives-cant-afford-to-look-this-ridiculous
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

People on the Mail now claiming that THE GREAT TOOTING UFO LIZARD MISSILE has also been seen in Oxford and in Horsham, and elsewhere - today

The UK has lots of commercial airports shocker.

All you’re proving is how easily people persuade themselves they have seen something unusual.

Lead story on tonight’s BBC London news - highest level of air pollution in London FOR YEARS. Whatever it was, she won’t have seen it clearly.

The QM2 is sailing past my window now, but I can barely see it, despite all the lights as they serve second sitting.
    Do you somehow think I am unaware of this?!

What interests me is how a story with such little substance - to be frank - can develop a narrative of its own volition. We are a story-telling species, and we love UFOs

The three most recent comments:

"Peregrinne, hungerford, United Kingdom, less than a minute ago

There were two lights and contrails hanging vertically high in the sky at just after sun rise over here this morning. We all saw them. They did not move like a normal plane."

"Glitzy, Addlestone, United Kingdom, 2 minutes ago

I too saw this as well and had to pull the car over to watch it. For a moment I thought it was a meteor or something. Very strange indeed."

"K8driver, Midlands, United Kingdom, about a minute ago

The aircraft explanation does seem feasible until you compare the dimensions and form of what would have to be a vapour trail with the object at the head of that trail.... an odd dark smudge with no obvious aircraft shape and no evidence of wings or source points for a trail of that density.... so most likely a daytime sighting of re-entering space junk debris. The pattern of movement ... from the brief video content shown... does not indicate, on the face of it, UAP type behaviour, or any of the 5 observables.. apart from no obvious lift producing surfaces etc."

You’d probably get the same responses had you sat on the video for a week and sent it in next Friday claiming you’d just seen it.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,213

Leon said:

I appreciate this might just be me but why does the uncouth fucker always have to put his feet on the desk?

"Boris Johnson puts his feet up in a photograph taken at 10 Downing Street on December 23 2020"

All male politicians do this. It is an alpha male thing. Asserting dominance

Blair was notorious for it - seriously
    Yeah - I think you're right. It's just a personal hang-up of mine, I guess.
    Obama

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/4/obamas-feet-oval-office-desk-sends-shockwaves-arou/

Dubya Bush and Gerald Ford

https://time.com/4685807/kellyanne-conway-oval-office-presidents-history/

Jeremy Thorpe!

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/english-politician-and-new-leader-of-the-liberal-party-news-photo/561073231?adppopup=true

House of Cards noticed, and mimicked it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10629159/House-of-Cards-creator-Beau-Willimon-All-politicians-are-murderers.html

• kle4 said:

Anger and piss taking,

The Star have had some cracking front pages in the last few years, bit disappointed they've gone for a cliche 'turn out the lights' gag.
    It's a great gag in this context because it's a way of subtly having a dig at the Sun's reticence to go hard on this story.
    Yes, didn't think of that! One of the flunkies in question is of course James Slack, now The Sun's deputy editor. So that headline is actually pretty withering.
  • Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

People on the Mail now claiming that THE GREAT TOOTING UFO LIZARD MISSILE has also been seen in Oxford and in Horsham, and elsewhere - today

All you’re proving is how easily people persuade themselves they have seen something unusual.

Lead story on tonight’s BBC London news - highest level of air pollution in London FOR YEARS. Whatever it was, she won’t have seen it clearly.

The QM2 is sailing past my window now, but I can barely see it, despite all the lights as they serve second sitting.

What interests me is how a story with such little substance - to be frank - can develop a narrative of its own volition. We are a story-telling species, and we love UFOs

There were two lights and contrails hanging vertically high in the sky at just after sun rise over here this morning. We all saw them. They did not move like a normal plane."

I too saw this as well and had to pull the car over to watch it. For a moment I thought it was a meteor or something. Very strange indeed."

The aircraft explanation does seem feasible until you compare the dimensions and form of what would have to be a vapour trail with the object at the head of that trail.... an odd dark smudge with no obvious aircraft shape and no evidence of wings or source points for a trail of that density.... so most likely a daytime sighting of re-entering space junk debris. The pattern of movement ... from the brief video content shown... does not indicate, on the face of it, UAP type behaviour, or any of the 5 observables.. apart from no obvious lift producing surfaces etc."

You know there is a link between the "aliens" seen by UFO abductees and the "machine elves" seen by those who have ingested or been injected with DMT?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Alistair said:

Ok, someone needs to talk me through why 1.55 on Boris to be gone this year isn't an absolutely stonking value bet. What is the counter narrative?

There is none. He's done.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,733
    Coming up @BBCNewsnight after quite a week for party politics, culminating in Number 10 apologising to the Queen @lewis_goodall unearths the guest list for the latest revealed party …. At 2230
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1482116292035362820

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

5/ Estimate is no more than 20ish letters in - way short of 54 needed

6/ Boris spirits are quite upbeat, per a source by his side this week

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1482106649246638085

He’s safe as houses until the next election.
    Difficult to see how he lasts another week at this rate. If it was a professional bout the ref would have stepped in at about lunchtime today

HOWEVER, Boris is a pretty shameless chap - as we have seen - and that is to his advantage here. He won't be mortified into leaving. And eventually even Dom Cummings must run out of new revelations and new ways of knifing his old Boss. Can there be much more? We now know they held parties eight times a day, often with nude effigies of the Queen, it cannot get significantly worse

So if he can survive another month maybe he can survive two years. Possibly taking down the entire Tory party alongside him
    He wont be facing PMQs on Wed. It is over imho.

When Tory MPs return from the wall of burning hell fire that is their association weekend meetings they will know what is to be done.
    Tonight's DM and Telegraph both trying to stave off the seemingly inevitable. Express on the other hand appears to have lost faith in Johnson.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,124
    IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

So "Operation Save Big Dog" boils down to "someone else did it and ran away"

The story of his entire fucking life.

If they fall for it again, they deserve to lose for a generation

The name also recalls the Kabul airlift, probably the single most disgusting act of his premiership and perhaps his life.
    That's what I was suggesting earlier. Perhaps a cynical (no pun intended) in joke?
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Glitzy has clearly never seen a meteor before then or doesn't know that it is a shooting star.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Beverages in shot...

People will say we get the government we deserve but no, this country deserves much better than this bunch of inept chancers.
    I actually wouldn't be surprised if those offices always look like that.
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    edited January 2022
    I wonder if the best strategy for a wannabe PM is simply to be unflinchingly loyal, combined with hard work, ability, success in your ministerial office and patience? So many wannabes seem to trip themselves up by their poorly concealed ambition and by being seen to be "on manoeuvres"

Heseltine's naked ambition; Portillo and the phone lines; Gove and his admission that he enjoys the Machiavellian plotting in "Game of Thrones"; Liz's with Fizz parties.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Obama

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/4/obamas-feet-oval-office-desk-sends-shockwaves-arou/

Jeremy Thorpe!

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/english-politician-and-new-leader-of-the-liberal-party-news-photo/561073231?adppopup=true

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10629159/House-of-Cards-creator-Beau-Willimon-All-politicians-are-murderers.html

Convinced already!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Alistair said:

Ok, someone needs to talk me through why 1.55 on Boris to be gone this year isn't an absolutely stonking value bet. What is the counter narrative?

He passes the VONC, and there cannot be another this year. He has a brass neck.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Alistair said:

Very few in the Tory Party have the balls to get rid of him.

Maybe he thinks that's what desks are for? Weirdly high footrests.

It's not like he uses them to work on like ordinary people.
    Erm, is that not bottles of beer on the desk on the left?

Were we not in some kind of WFH, no social events lockdown Dec 2020?
  • I appreciate this might just be me but why does the uncouth fucker always have to put his feet on the desk?

That's what big dogs do.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

New poll from Find Out Now/Electoral Calculus 13 Jan
    Lab 41% +3
    Con 27% -3
    Lib Dem 11% +1
    Green 8% -2
    Reform 5% -2
    Changes since 14-15 Dec https://twitter.com/Direthoughts/status/1482079893919838208

Ok, where's Mohammed Saeed al-Hyufd got to? We need an explanation, now.
    Still not as low even on that poll as May's Tories in Spring 2019 or Major's Tories in 1995 who were both sub 25%
    Give up and surrender

It is over for Boris and soon
    Thanks to Cummings it is probably also over for the Tories for the next decade.

Don't expect even Sunak to suddenly be able to turn it round. Boris may well be the last Conservative leader to win a general election majority for the next 10 to 15 years
    Stop. I can only get so erect.

Empty wineglass too.
  • I appreciate this might just be me but why does the uncouth fucker always have to put his feet on the desk?

Blue label is Heineken zero I think
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,213

Leon said:

Leon said:

Obama

Jeremy Thorpe!

Convinced already!
    A friend of mine briefly worked at Westminster when Blair and Brown shared an office, she says she went in once and it was like they were competing to be the politician most confidently putting his feet on the desk. To a ludicrous extent

In her opinion, Blair won
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Big dog seems an odd tag to adopt.

There's a big dog...turd ...all over the furniture.
    edited January 2022
    RobD said:

Beverages in shot...

I can tell you they wouldn't if I were PM.

I'd be surprised if they did when TM was PM.

People take their lead from the top. Remember the state of Johnson's car a few years ago?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited January 2022
    stjohn said:

I wonder if the best strategy for a wannabe PM is simply to be unflinchingly loyal, combined with hard work, ability, success in your ministerial office and patience? So many wannabes seem to trip themselves up by their poorly concealed ambition and by being seen to be "on manoeuvres"

Heseltine's naked ambition; Portillo and the phone lines; Gove and his admission that he enjoys the Machiavellian plotting in "Game of Thrones"; Liz's with Fizz parties.

What about BJ's supposed role model, WSC?

Who in May 1940 actually closed the Norway Debate on behalf of the (then) government. And marched though the division lobby (along with Brendan Bracken) in support of Chamberlain.

EDIT - Perhaps more relevant examples are Harold Macmillan and John Major. Would seem that Sunak is doing (modified) version of Mac, while Truss is taking a leaf from JM''s playbook.
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

As pointed out here, the 1922 committee could change the rules.

RobD said:

Beverages in shot...

The Friday drinks thing was going on during her administration, too.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022
    From a year ago...

"Boris is getting a lot of stick for this photo, which I think is unfair. Tony Blair did it to the same desk in the same office. It’s the PM’s desk in the PM’s office."

https://twitter.com/DavidVidecette/status/1343148204590833664?s=20
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Not true. The 1922 set those rules. They can be changed at a whim.
    Moreover. Was mentioned earlier. 65 associations can call for a special conference.
    So he isn't bullet proof.
    Mind. I think he'll last longer than consensus on here.
    There's no telling how far he'll go if he's determined to hang on. He genuinely doesn't seem to get what the fuss is about.
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

During the process? Surely they’d never think of doing that?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

May won her VONC 200-117 in December 2018 and was gone five months later.
    IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

During the process? Surely they’d never think of doing that?
    Before, during, after, they'll do anything to survive and protect their Brexit I should think.
    edited January 2022
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Beverages in shot...

Legally. And with everybody looking at their watches and wondering whether they’d make it out for the 1825 from Victoria?
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Beverages in shot...

With everybody looking at their watches and wondering whether they’d make it out for the 1825 from Victoria?
    It sounds like a thing for the workers, not the boss. Similar thing at my job on Fridays.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Leon said:

There are worse ways for male leaders to assert dominance. I've heard stories about LBJ.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Beverages in shot...

Yeah, but it wasn't illegal then, nor did they order a wine fridge.
    Am I the only one by whose standards that office is spotless?
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Beverages in shot...

Yeah, but it wasn't illegal then, nor did they order a wine fridge.
    No, but I was just countering the claim that you wouldn't have seen that scene under May's administration.
    Leon said:

<
    A friend of mine briefly worked at Westminster when Blair and Brown shared an office, she says she went in once and it was like they were competing to be the politician most confidently putting his feet on the desk. To a ludicrous extent

Do you think Boris Johnson is finished?

Should the Conservatives get rid of him now in the hope a replacement can reverse their fortune or do we just struggle on as Major did from 1995-97 and wait for the denouement of a Labour landslide?
    dixiedean said:

Nope, sadly.
    dixiedean said:

I have to confess, my desk is a mess.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    DougSeal said:

Alistair said:

Very few in the Tory Party have the balls to get rid of him.
    Not surprising. The problem is the Tories are showing they're useless c***s.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    edited January 2022
    DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

5/ Estimate is no more than 20ish letters in - way short of 54 needed

6/ Boris spirits are quite upbeat, per a source by his side this week

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1482106649246638085

He’s safe as houses until the next election.
    Yep. Bozzatron is going nowhere.

Twenty letters is barely more than two days ago. They have merely doubled the amount of madmen and extinct MPs to two apiece, while finding an extra three who have forgotten all about it.

Blue label is Heineken zero I think
    Not a blue label. Green. 5.0 ABV. With a blue led reflecting slightly on both.
    edited January 2022
    Breaking: Newsnight says the guest invite list at the latest party to be revealed (17 Dec 2020, London on Tier 3) includes government staff who didn’t work at no. 10. Whether they actually attended is not clear.
    dixiedean said:

I'm edging to the conclusion I may be towards the end of a spectrum on the office tidiness thing. ;-)

I shall try to let it go.
  • Regarding the Operation Big Dog team, wonder how many at the top tier are there to talk Boris into throwing in the towel?

Could Linton Crosby see himself as being to Johnson, what Henry Kissinger was to Nixon?

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

We used to have a hospital pub, quite busy early evening, but those days ended a decade or two ago.

The pub closest to the old Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was simply called Doctors
    In 1963 I woke up in the early hours of the morning in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary being violently sick

I had earlier been playing football near Murrayfield and suffered serious concussion in a collision with the full back and collapsed a few minutes later

An ambulance was called and as it took me to ERI, I said to my then fiancee (now my wife) whose engagement ring are you wearing before lapsing into unconsciousness again

It took me 6 months to regain my full memory and is a reason why I believe all footballers need to be checked in all suspected head collisions

It was not a pleasant experience at all
    Cripes.
    edited January 2022
    IanB2 said:

Breaking: Newsnight says the guest invite list at the latest party to be revealed (17 Dec 2020, London on Tier 3) includes government staff who didn’t work at no. 10. Whether they actually attended is not clear.

Unless it is a minister, I don't really think it adds anything to the story. I thought it had already been reported that other gathering had included staff who weren't part of the core team that were supposed to be in the office.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    stodge said:

Leon said:

<

Should the Conservatives get rid of him now in the hope a replacement can reverse their fortune or do we just struggle on as Major did from 1995-97 and wait for the denouement of a Labour landslide?
    Even on tonight's poll, after the boundary changes it would still only be a Labour majority of 20.

Not 1997 levels

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&amp;CON=27&amp;LAB=41&amp;LIB=11&amp;Reform=2&amp;Green=2&amp;UKIP=&amp;TVCON=&amp;TVLAB=&amp;TVLIB=&amp;TVReform=&amp;TVGreen=&amp;TVUKIP=&amp;SCOTCON=18.3&amp;SCOTLAB=20.2&amp;SCOTLIB=6.6&amp;SCOTReform=0.9&amp;SCOTGreen=3&amp;SCOTUKIP=&amp;SCOTNAT=48&amp;display=AllChanged&amp;regorseat=(none)&amp;boundary=2019nbbase

IanB2 said:

Unless it is a minister, I don't really think it adds anything to the story. I thought it had already been reported that other gathering had included staff who weren't part of the core team that were supposed to be in the office.
    Can't claim it was a few work mates who had spent all day together anyway so where's the harm in having a drink after hours at the desk.
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

<

Even on tonight's poll, after the boundary changes it would still only be a Labour majority of 20.

Not 1997 levels

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&amp;CON=27&amp;LAB=41&amp;LIB=11&amp;Reform=2&amp;Green=2&amp;UKIP=&amp;TVCON=&amp;TVLAB=&amp;TVLIB=&amp;TVReform=&amp;TVGreen=&amp;TVUKIP=&amp;SCOTCON=18.3&amp;SCOTLAB=20.2&amp;SCOTLIB=6.6&amp;SCOTReform=0.9&amp;SCOTGreen=3&amp;SCOTUKIP=&amp;SCOTNAT=48&amp;display=AllChanged&amp;regorseat=(none)&amp;boundary=2019nbbase
    Okay. That’s all fine then.
    Scott_xP said:

💥Sue Gray was "completely blindsided" by the latest party revelations and is concerned Downing Street staff are deliberately concealing information from her, @Steven_Swinford reveals
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1482108208873361408
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1482107224369606661

Lots of Gray areas.

IanB2 said:

No, but while I'm skeptical generally of drip feeding a story out being a good thing, in this case it has really caught the attention of the public and so anything that extends it, even if not anything particularly fresh or interesting, will probably work on this occasion in furthering the impression that it was a 24/7 party house.

Regarding the Operation Big Dog team, wonder how many at the top tier are there to talk Boris into throwing in the towel?

Could Linton Crosby see himself as being to Johnson, what Henry Kissinger was to Nixon?

Kissinger wasn't being paid by Nixon to give advise and do polling.
  • IanB2 said:

Can't claim it was a few work mates who had spent all day together anyway so where's the harm in having a drink after hours at the desk.
    This is for a party, rather than the weekly wine-o-clock. I thought it had already been revealed that either that party or another one (hard to keep up) had invitees who weren't core team.
    edited January 2022
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

No, but while I'm skeptical generally of drip feeding a story out being a good thing, in this case it has really caught the attention of the public and so anything that extends it, even if not anything particularly fresh or interesting, will probably work on this occasion in furthering the impression that it was a 24/7 party house.
    How shite were those parties that folk thought they were at work?
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

Yes.

(I make a point of answering all, "Am I the only one who ...?" questions in the affirmative).

:-)
    edited January 2022
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

How shite were those parties that folk thought they were at work.
    ?
    Well we saw the photos of the Christmas quiz, that looked proper shit.

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

We used to have a hospital pub, quite busy early evening, but those days ended a decade or two ago.

In 1963 I woke up in the early hours of the morning in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary being violently sick

I had earlier been playing football near Murrayfield and suffered serious concussion in a collision with the full back and collapsed a few minutes later

An ambulance was called and as it took me to ERI, I said to my then fiancee (now my wife) whose engagement ring are you wearing before lapsing into unconsciousness again

It took me 6 months to regain my full memory and is a reason why I believe all footballers need to be checked in all suspected head collisions

Did you ever find out whose engagement ring she was wearing?

IanB2 said:

This is for a party, rather than the weekly wine-o-clock. I thought it had already been revealed that either that party or another one (hard to keep up) had invitees who weren't core team.
    Who can keep up?

This is the one nagging issue that makes me sometimes doubt my prediction that Big Peppa Dog is done: it seems everyone but the Albanian cleaner was on the lash every night in Whitehall after work all through lockdowns.
  • HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

<

Not 1997 levels

So in the space of a couple of days you've gone from "Boris is still popular" to "Labour won't win a landslide".

Its over, isn't it?
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

How shite were those parties that folk thought they were at work?
    Depends what their normal expectations of work were, though.
  • Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Did quite a thriving trade in pills that fell into the pockets of hospital porters back in the day.

So I’m told.
    Alistair said:

1. The PCP have mustered up the princely sum of 20 letters despite UHD video footage of deranged orgies every night including Mondays
    2. See 1.
    edited January 2022
    OK, here is a question. Who was the last PM actively removed by a vote of no confidence within their own party? (Not the Commons.)

Thatcher was two votes short of winning a leadership election outright. Wilson quit of his own volition, as did Macmillan and Eden. Chamberlain remained leader of the party after quitting as PM.

I keep coming up with Ramsay Macdonald, who was immediately reappointed and skews the result. In which case we would possibly be looking at Gladstone?

Either way it would be pretty seismic.
    edited January 2022
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Beverages in shot...

Well tbf I'd have no objection to Friday (or any other day) drinks, provided they weren't breaking covid guidelines (and especially if I had set those guidelines).

I'd not have them in the working office though.

Garden - yes; a rest/recreation room or area - yes; a nearby pub - best (although not practical for No 10, I get that).

Let's not have people trying to run the country from a wine-sodden den.
  • IanB2 said:

None! We did wine-time Fridays every week. Several boxes of supplies procured and supplied to colleagues.

At home. Via Zoom. Because we weren't twunts like Number 10
  • kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Yes, mine and we married in 1964 but my spaced out semi consciousness really alarmed her

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Wow. I am glad you fully recovered.

All those months of insisting you were never going to vote for a dodgy character like Douglas Home, and then suddenly your memory was wiped clean.
  • Alistair said:

1. The PCP have mustered up the princely sum of 20 letters despite UHD video footage of deranged orgies every night including Mondays
    2. See 1.
    Who showed you the Sunday Mirror's big scoop????

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    20m
    THE GUARDIAN: Tory grassroots fury grows as No10 apologises to the Queen #TomorrowsPapersToday
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

<

Not 1997 levels

So in the space of a couple of days you've gone from "Boris is still popular" to "Labour won't win a landslide".

Its over, isn't it?
    At this point I think we're moving from hope to expectation.

Johnson made a dreadful mistake not quitting immediately after the North Shropshire defeat. He might have avoided the worst of the reputational damage he has now suffered.
    Every so often the political Twittersphere and PB go into feverish speculation about “letters going in”.

How often have enough been received to trouble Sir Graham? Once.

Boris

Is

Going

Nowhere.

We’re stuck with him until 2024.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Yes, mine and we married in 1964 but my spaced out semi consciousness really alarmed her
    You were semi conscious on your wedding day too?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

The full backs...

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Yes I know. My limp attempt at a joke. Glad you recovered ok.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

IanB2 said:

Yes, this is about moving from hypocrisy to out and out lying
    DougSeal said:

Every so often the political Twittersphere and PB go into feverish speculation about “letters going in”.

How often have enough been received to trouble Sir Graham? Once.

Boris

Is

Going

Nowhere.

We’re stuck with him until 2024.

Ah, but he's on his final FINAL last chance, no more indulgence this time we REALLY mean it if you so much as then by heck we'll really think about having a stern word you see if we don't
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    20m
    THE GUARDIAN: Tory grassroots fury grows as No10 apologises to the Queen #TomorrowsPapersToday

Wow, that apology must have been really shit.

Alistair said:

2. See 1.
    1. must be true for certain because the only source for it is a puff piece inserted in the borisgraph by team Boris.

I will make a point of saying I told you so, but in a really caring and non triumphalist way, when I collect on my 4/1 Boris to go this year bet.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited January 2022
    ydoethur said:

OK, here is a question. Who was the last PM actively removed by a vote of no confidence within their own party? (Not the Commons.)

Thatcher was two votes short of winning a leadership election outright. Wilson quit of his own volition, as did Macmillan and Eden. Chamberlain remained leader of the party after quitting as PM.

I keep coming up with Ramsay Macdonald, who was immediately reappointed and skews the result. In which case we would possibly be looking at Gladstone?

Either way it would be pretty seismic.

Sir Robert Peel? Not sure if there was a formal Tory vote, but (as per wiki) "his decision to join with Whigs and Radicals to repeal the Corn Laws led to his resignation as Prime Minister in 1846."
    Alastair Burt arguing that saving his job now won’t save him from the ultimate verdict of the voters.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

<

Not 1997 levels

Its over, isn't it?

Johnson made a dreadful mistake not quitting immediately after the North Shropshire defeat. He might have avoided the worst of the reputational damage he has now suffered.
    Quitting after one bad by-election loss would not have done his reputation any favours. It was a bad period but it was not inevitable it get worse and leaders have to show some fight.

His method of fighting has been unedifying and so far ineffective however.
    Alistair said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    20m

The problem is twofold: (1) this is, way, way past sorry and (2) even if it was, the issue is not just the action, it's the repeated lies.

I showed his apology at PMQs to my A-level politics students, many of them Tories (contrary to stereotypes of da yoof).

They were all just sitting, gobsmacked, at how bad and unconvincing it was.
    Look, I don't care who is PM, just don't have an early election and so make the work of those poor bastards at the Boundary Commission pointless again.

Farooq said:

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

You were semi conscious on your wedding day too?
    Some say I still have not recovered !!!!!!!!!!
    Nice to see my pathetic pun set the rest of you up for a few crackers. Particularly liked the full back one.

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    20m

Yeah, they should have told the old bat to do one
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

<

Not 1997 levels

You forget the nuances of tactical voting which would likely depress the Conservative seat number further.
    IshmaelZ said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    20m

Yeah, they should have told the old bat to do one
    Frankly she should apologise to him
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

<

Not 1997 levels

Its over, isn't it?

Quitting after one bad by-election loss would not have done his reputation any favours. It was a bad period but it was not inevitable it get worse and leaders have to show some fight.

His method of fighting has been unedifying and so far ineffective however.
    An unnecessary by-election caused by his bungling and selfishness in a seat they've held for 116 years? Nope. That was a terminal mistake.

Every day he hangs on after he looks sillier.
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    20m

The problem is twofold: (1) this is, way, way past sorry and (2) even if it was, the issue is not just the action, it's the repeated lies.

I showed his apology at PMQs to my A-level politics students, many of them Tories (contrary to stereotypes of da yoof).

They were all just sitting, gobsmacked, at how bad and unconvincing it was.
    Children learn very early that being forced to apologise for something, even when you did indeed do it, does not convince anyone because being told to do it makes it a pointless exercise. So they know it is just someone else, a teacher for example, trying to tick a box so things can move on.
This discussion has been closed.