Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This May 2020 pic from Number 10 will add to the pressure on BJ – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2021 in General
imageThis May 2020 pic from Number 10 will add to the pressure on BJ – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson has been pictured with wine and cheese alongside his wife and up to 17 staff in the Downing Street garden during lockdown, raising questions over No 10’s insistence it constituted a “work meeting”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/19/boris-johnson-and-staff-pictured-with-wine-in-downing-street-garden-in-may-2020

His wife being there totally nails him. Fascinating who keeps leaking.

Looks pretty socially distanced to me and Boris wearing a facemask
    Well no, he's taken the mask off.

What is his wife doing there?

The rules at the time were two people outside at a distance of 2m. That's not 2m.

This is pathetic.
    There were only 4 people on Boris' table, they were far away from others and Carrie counts as Boris' bubble and the other 2 were civil servants doing government business
    At this time people were being arrested for having more than 2 people, 2 metres apart.

You're embarassing yourself.
    If you think people were being arrested for meeting in their gardens with 2 other people socially distanced outside their bubble who they work with you are having a laugh. Total non story
    Why not try claiming that Carrie is a de facto member of the government? I mean, it surely takes more than a talent for fellatio to be in a position to arrange for loyal servants of this country to be murdered by Islamic extremists so that Penny Wenny's doggie woggies can fly out of Kabul?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Boris meeting outside socially distanced with 2 civil servants and Carrie who is his bubble anyway. Total non story
  • Well we've seen the line HYUFD has been told to take. Although initially it was that BoJo was wearing a mask, so clearly a miscommunication from CCHQ there
    edited December 2021
    Meanwhile Starmer was drinking with Labour workers indoors
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14826418/keir-starmer-beer-indoor-gathering/
  • Weak sauce.
  • HYUFD said:

Boris meeting outside socially distanced with 2 civil servants and Carrie who is his bubble anyway. Total non story

Piss funny.

That really the best you can manage?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    HYUFD said:

Meanwhile at the same time Starmer was drinking with Labour workers indoors

Teflon Keir
  • HYUFD said:

This was my reply on the last thread to you

'It is exciting some, but while it is not a non story I really do not see it adds to the story and certainly does not give the impression of a 'party' in the true sense of the word or the perception of the public of a party'

I really do think there are far more pressing concerns for the public than a summer photo taken in a garden

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

That's a bit like saying it's OK for Tories to be racist xenophobes because [fill in your selected member of the Labour hierarchy].

Not least because you are right now admitting bu implication there is a problem.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    The real crime in this photo is the patio. Whoever specified that should be dealt with severely.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

Are you standing in for Philip? If so well done. During the party season one's never enough
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226

HYUFD said:

This was my reply on the last thread to you

'It is exciting some, but while it is not a non story I really do not see it adds to the story and certainly does not give the impression of a 'party' in the true sense of the word or the perception of the public of a party'

I really do think there are far more pressing concerns for the public than a summer photo taken in a garden

IMHO it’s a crap photo. But the only reason the public have more pressing concerns is because the PM has looked down the camera and told them they have more pressing concerns.
  • What is just as interesting is to ask who is leaking this. There is a limited number of people who can stand there and take such a photo.
    HYUFD said:

Killer point.

before you edited, this said

Meanwhile Starmer was drinking with Labour workers indoors at the same time

but then you realised that May 2020 and May 2021 don't really count as "at the same time." The dedit doesn't save you, though, because "Meanwhile" still means "at the same time."

Have a break.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    edited December 2021

FPT (because it's worth commemorating):

Forty years ago today, 16 people lost their lives in the Penlee lifeboat disaster off Cornwall. Eight crew from the Mousehole lifeboat, and eight people on the MV Union Star.

RIP.

One of the first disasters that stuck on my consciousness, as my dad had a friend in Mousehole and we went occasionally.

It is particular salient to our family today as our son received confirmation of his 'sea going status' from the RNLI recently having joined the lifeboat crew earlier this year
  • Drip, drip, drip…
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Has anyone mentioned the "in hospital" number in Guateng today?

The Health Ministry announced that there are currently 2,747 people in hospital in the province with CV19. That is down from 3,274 yesterday.

Now, I'm sure there's a weekend effect... BUT... that's not a small drop. That's a 16% fall in the number of people in hospital with CV19. At the very least, that suggests lots of people are getting released from hospital.

(Some of you will say 'backfill of data still to come', and that's very true. But I'm using 'day of' releases. So if there is an effect, it's highly unlikely to be a big directional one.)

Assuming that this trend is confirmed on Monday and Tuesday, these numbers are even more positive than they appear, as they indicate there is no "big lag" between infection and hospitalization.
    @rcs1000
    Where are you seeing the Gauteng data because looking at the NICD dashboard they say there are 3286 patients in Gauteng which is basically bo change from yesterday at 3285
    The health department tweets (https://twitter.com/GautengHealth/) updates every day

The latest of which is here: https://twitter.com/GautengHealth/status/1472533928745521152/photo/1

Yesterday's is here:
    https://twitter.com/GautengHealth/status/1472195385519218688/photo/1

HYUFD said:

That's such a setup photo to show he's a "man of the people". No way would Starmer be drinking anything other than an Aperol Spritz.
  • Drip, drip, drip…

In honesty it has gone beyond drip drip and it is now in the hands of his mps who will act in due course
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Death by a thousand cuts. Problem is each cut is shallower than the one before.

Why didn't they leak this pic first, rather than the stupid Christmas party story?
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Killer point.

but then you realised that May 2020 and May 2021 don't really count as "at the same time." The dedit doesn't save you, though, because "Meanwhile" still means "at the same time."

Have a break.
    Indoors the rule of 6 still applied in May 2021, looks like more than 6 with Sir Keir there
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Pippa Crerar tweeted this.

"That same day ex-Health Sec Matt Hancock told us: “You can meet one other person from outside your household in an outdoor, public place. But please keep two metres apart. This weekend, with the good weather... don’t take risks.”

Would be surprised if the high walled garden of No 10 fell into the definition of a public place, Perhaps the image was taken by RAF Luton's Canberra.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,460
    On the photo, yet again, it's the lying that does my head in much more than the actual crime. The garden drinks may well have broken lockdown rules, but in a relatively minor way. Then along comes No. 10 and says it was a "work meeting". Any idiot can see that this wasn't a work meeting. They are just compulsive liars. "Sorry" is so much better than lying. See also Barnard Castle.
  • It reinforces of what I said a couple of weeks that Boris encouraged a culture of aren't we working hard chaps and chapettes, everybody deserves a drink...and that morphed into regular thing, to where having a Christmas doo just what they do after work when the boozers were closed.
  • It extends the story but also weakens it, since although it's clearly not a work party it does look reasonably distanced.

I think that is fair comment
    moonshine said:

The trouble is, the rules have changed around so much and sitting outside with tables apart like that feels like a sufficiently sensible precaution to most people, rather than reckless. The Guardian have to go to the bother of explaining what the rules were on that date and why this breaches them. If you have to explain the joke…

Naah, it's a Catch 22 in the other direction. Either it's a good point so it works, or it's a bad point but everybody hates Johnson and Petacci so much by this stage that it works anyway because they want it to.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

That's such a setup photo to show he's a "man of the people". No way would Starmer be drinking anything other than an Aperol Spritz.
    I fucking love aperol spritz
  • What is just as interesting is to ask who is leaking this. There is a limited number of people who can stand there and take such a photo.

Looks a height that would be CCTV to me.

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

HYUFD said:

Teflon Keir
    Yep. So true. That raffish ex DPP charm and sunny 'life's a gas' demeanour lets him get away with murder.
  • Whoever's releasing all of these so far innocuous pictures is clearly out to hurt the PM with no regard to the covid consequence.

However much the PM deserves the hurt, to release it in this way is highly irresponsible by the leakers. They're essentially encouraging people to ignore any rules set by our current leaders at quite a terrible time for that message.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    Do people really think that's a party? I imagine all those people work in the building with the steps. I also imagine they were doing proper long hours at the time. On building sites people ate outside at lunchtime and chatted last May. If the wine wasn't on the table then how would this be a story, it looks to me that the staff were just taking a break in the garden of where they work
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Has anyone mentioned the "in hospital" number in Guateng today?

The Health Ministry announced that there are currently 2,747 people in hospital in the province with CV19. That is down from 3,274 yesterday.

Now, I'm sure there's a weekend effect... BUT... that's not a small drop. That's a 16% fall in the number of people in hospital with CV19. At the very least, that suggests lots of people are getting released from hospital.

(Some of you will say 'backfill of data still to come', and that's very true. But I'm using 'day of' releases. So if there is an effect, it's highly unlikely to be a big directional one.)

Assuming that this trend is confirmed on Monday and Tuesday, these numbers are even more positive than they appear, as they indicate there is no "big lag" between infection and hospitalization.
    @rcs1000
    Where are you seeing the Gauteng data because looking at the NICD dashboard they say there are 3286 patients in Gauteng which is basically bo change from yesterday at 3285
    The health department tweets (https://twitter.com/GautengHealth/) updates every day

The latest of which is here: https://twitter.com/GautengHealth/status/1472533928745521152/photo/1

Yesterday's is here:
    https://twitter.com/GautengHealth/status/1472195385519218688/photo/1

Ta.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

Whoever's releasing all of these so far innocuous pictures is clearly out to hurt the PM with no regard to the covid consequence.

However much the PM deserves the hurt, to release it in this way is highly irresponsible by the leakers. They're essentially encouraging people to ignore any rules set by our current leaders at quite a terrible time for that message.

quite.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited December 2021
    This is what your typical park looked like at the same time

I’ve heard from police mates across multiple police forces that if and when police are forced to enforce anything to do with covid, they won’t be rushing to do so unless the abuse is blatant
  • Whoever's releasing all of these so far innocuous pictures is clearly out to hurt the PM with no regard to the covid consequence.

Does it hurt the PM? Wouldnt be surprised if an internal spin doctor thinks it improves things by making it more of a gathering than a party.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I fucking love aperol spritz
    Too sweet, it’s better with Campari
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,460
    edited December 2021

Whoever's releasing all of these so far innocuous pictures is clearly out to hurt the PM with no regard to the covid consequence.

Maybe so, but if our current leaders hadn't ignored the rules that they exercised their power to set for the rest of us then there'd be no innocuous pictures to release, would there?
  • There will be more photos.
  • Theo Bertram
    @theobertram
    ·
    19m
    Who has an office on the first floor looking down on the No10 terrace…
  • eek said:

This is what your typical park looked like at the same time

I’ve heard from police mates across multiple police forces that if and when police are forced to enforce anything to do with covid, they won’t be rushing to do so unless the abuse is blatant

Or there are some yoofs around giving them attitude.....

The counter argument would be that they are trying to bring about a train of events which ends with our being governed at this terrible time, by responsible adults.

Drip, drip, drip…

In honesty it has gone beyond drip drip and it is now in the hands of his mps who will act in due course
    Agree. He is gone. When isn't that important. Before conference is the only certainty.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited December 2021

I can't believe it's not Cummings. He seems to have a whole portfolio of these ready to release on demand, and none of them are from the post-Dec 2020 lockdowns period so far.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

There will be more photos.

You may be hoping for that, but that doesn't make it so.

On the photo, yet again, it's the lying that does my head in much more than the actual crime. The garden drinks may well have broken lockdown rules, but in a relatively minor way. Then along comes No. 10 and says it was a "work meeting". Any idiot can see that this wasn't a work meeting. They are just compulsive liars. "Sorry" is so much better than lying. See also Barnard Castle.

The vircle on the lawn look like a work meeting
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2021
    Lol, gone back over the last few days, there is basically zero correlation between the Gauteng letters and the figures in the NICD dashboard.

Flip desk emoji.

If, if there is a big fall in the numbers tomorrow on the dashboard then maybe there is a vague link.
  • RobD said:

Well you said that last time. There will be more

What is just as interesting is to ask who is leaking this. There is a limited number of people who can stand there and take such a photo.

Fabulously hi res for cctv.

RobD said:

No, I did not say that last time. What I was interested in then was any evidence of supposed hints dropped by the Mirror's editor that there would be more photos. None was forthcoming.
    These photos are irrelevant now. The original story had 100% cut through so they achieve nothing. Everyone already knows Boris is a lying hypocritical oaf.
  • HYUFD said:

May 2020 (Boris) and April 2021 (Starmer) are not "meanwhile".
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183

I can't believe it's not Cummings. He seems to have a whole portfolio of these ready to release on demand, and none of them are from the post-Dec 2020 lockdowns period so far.
    This could go one of two ways:
    1) Too embarrassing for the government to implement another lockdown when it's senior members can't observe it themselves;
    2) Government facing embarrassment- what can we do to change the agenda? Quick, let's announce another lockdown.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

No, I did not say that last time. What I was interested in then was any evidence of supposed hints dropped by the Mirror's editor that there would be more photos. None was forthcoming.
    This photo just shows people at their place of work taking a break in the garden chatting but social distancing, it's not a party. For Rayner to call the picture heartbreaking is absurd
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    That looks l

RobD said:

RobD said:

This photo just shows people at their place of work taking a break in the garden chatting but social distancing, it's not a party. For Rayner to call the picture heartbreaking is absurd
    A break with wine and cheese
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Wish I could have taken a "break" from my work at the time, with colleagues and bottles of wine...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

Drip, drip, drip…

There’s more than three is the picture.
    IshmaelZ said:

What is just as interesting is to ask who is leaking this. There is a limited number of people who can stand there and take such a photo.

Larry the cat cam.
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Wish I could have taken a "break" from my work at the time, with colleagues and bottles of wine...
    And have your partner / wife join in...
    Alistair said:

Lol, gone back over the last few days, there is basically zero correlation between the Gauteng letters and the figures in the NICD dashboard.

Flip desk emoji.

If, if there is a big fall in the numbers tomorrow on the dashboard then maybe there is a vague link.

Well, if the Gauteng Health Department tweet is right, then it's very good news. If the NICD dashboard is right, then it's not bad news.

Where are you seeing the data on the NICD page? I'd like to compare the numbers over time.
    OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

All canteens on building sites were shut at the time so people sat outside and ate their lunch and chatted. What is the difference ?
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Larry the cat cam.
    No, the treasury cat is Gladstone.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Time to check my covid test.
  • JonathanD said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

And have your partner / wife join in...
    Well, indeed. I did a four hour round trip to see my elderly Dad at the time to eat a sandwich on a park bench with him after two months of isolation. Boris is an unprintable word.

RobD said:

RobD said:

It is worth noting that some of these people wouldn't know a party if it slapped them in the face.
  • OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

All canteens on building sites were shut at the time so people sat outside and ate their lunch and chatted. What is the difference ?
    It was against the law at the time?
    OldBasing said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

To eat your lunch outside ?
  • Wine, cheese, partners and kids is not a work meeting, it’s a party.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Given how much home working was going on, I bet that was a regular occurrence for many at the time.
  • Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Larry the cat cam.

Larry the Cat
    @Number10cat
    ·
    15m
    If you’re looking for me you can stop. I thought it was important for someone in this address to follow the rules.
  • Nigelb said:

Drip, drip, drip…

How far apart are they? They never provided guidance as to how far apart you could be and *not* count as a group.

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Did the lads on the site often chug wine at lunch time like?
  • OldBasing said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Can't see any 'lunch' in that picture. It was a party.

HYUFD said:

It's much better than that, pre-edit his post said "Meanwhile at the same time Starmer was drinking with Labour workers indoors."
  • There will be more photos.

They are going to have to be better than this one that is not as damaging as you may wish it to be
  • OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Did the lads on the site often chug wine at lunch time like?
    Naw, but they did like to nibble on a bit of brie so as to keep their energy up for the afternoon shift.

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

I hear there's more cringefest footage to come from that Downing Street press conf rehearsal.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    I love that the Tories are now arguing that the presence of alcohol doesn't mean this gathering in the Downing Street Garden last May was party...

...when just few days ago, they were arguing that the Christmas quiz wasn't a party because there wasn't alcohol.
    https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1472649242749644807/photo/1

Nigelb said:

Drip, drip, drip…

How far apart are they? They never provided guidance as to how far apart you could be and *not* count as a group.
    Don’t ask me.
    I was just counting the drips.

Wine, cheese, partners and kids is not a work meeting, it’s a party.

Kids?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    Scott_xP said:

I love that the Tories are now arguing that the presence of alcohol doesn't mean this gathering in the Downing Street Garden last May was party...

...when just few days ago, they were arguing that the Christmas quiz wasn't a party because there wasn't alcohol.
    https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1472649242749644807/photo/1

They've spent a lot of time wining about the unfairness of all this.
  • Wine, cheese, partners and kids is not a work meeting, it’s a party.

As Chris Mason said last week, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck etc, etc...

It was a fecking party and they are banged to rights.

Meanwhile Cressida hides behind her desk, trying to avoid anyone asking her to actually look into some crime.

:angry:
    OldBasing said:

OldBasing said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Can't see any 'lunch' in that picture. It was a party.
    You seriously think that was a party and not people taking a break from their office which is next to the garden ?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Killer point.

Have a break.
    How about meanwhile Starmer was having a drink with Labour Party workers some of whom he has subsequently made redundant due to running out of money!!
  • These photos are irrelevant now. The original story had 100% cut through so they achieve nothing. Everyone already knows Boris is a lying hypocritical oaf.

Exactly and this release may help him as it certainly is not a party as most would imagine

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

They didn’t take their wives and partners with them. Or drink wine. Or restrict their “lunch” to a cheese board. Those are the main differences. Others may be able to add some
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065

Wasn't he at Barnard Castle at the time?
    DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

They didn’t take their wives and partners with them. Or drink wine. Or restrict their “lunch” to a cheese board. Those are the main differences. Others may be able to add some
    Who has taken their wife?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

You seriously think that was a party and not people taking a break from their office which is next to the garden ?

So they got pissed and then went back to work?

I would have been sacked for that...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

As Chris Mason said last week, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck etc, etc...

Meanwhile Cressida hides behind her desk, trying to avoid anyone asking her to actually look into some crime.

I said on the last thread that my family held a clandestine joint birthday party on 2 May, 2020. Do you think it would be a good use of police time for them to investigate that?
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

It's much better than that, pre-edit his post said "Meanwhile at the same time Starmer was drinking with Labour workers indoors."
    Starmer was drinking with what looks like more than 6 workers indoors when rule of 6 still applied indoors.

Boris was merely drinking with 2 civil servants outside his bubble in the No 10 garden
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Looks like Carrie with baby at her breast seated by Boris.
    tlg86 said:

I said on the last thread that my family held a clandestine joint birthday party on 2 May, 2020. Do you think it would be a good use of police time for them to investigate that?
    Perhaps, just to be on the safe side, it isn't a terribly smart idea to boast about having got away with it?
    Scott_xP said:

So they got pissed and then went back to work?

I would have been sacked for that...
    With this bunch, would anyone actually have noticed a difference?

DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The PM has. The Guardian photo caption clearly identifies Carrie Johnson (or were they not married yet? Not that it matters)
  • DougSeal said:

OldBasing said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The regulations had nothing to say on the presence of alcohol. Alcohol is prohibited on building sites for health and safety reasons. Not necessarily in an office, if the employer allows it. Cheese is a perfectly adequate lunch. Mrs Johnson lives on site and counts as a member of her husband's bubble, so there is no reason why she shouldn't join him for lunch.

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Killer point.

Have a break.
    How about meanwhile Starmer was having a drink with Labour Party workers some of whom he has subsequently made redundant due to running out of money!!
    What about whataboutery, in other words? And why can't Labour be on the Randox payroll like everyone else is?
This discussion has been closed.