Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It’s hard to see how Johnson recovers from this – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Lord Geidt’s entire basis for absolving Boris Johnson over the flat was that the PM told him he didn’t know where the money was coming from until February 2021.

It was why he was just “unwise”.

And, according to the Electoral Commission, it was not true

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-tories-fined-17800-breaching-25653921?123
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Dr Eric Fingl-Doom on France

“Devastating surge of #COVID19 emerging in France 🇫🇷, where cases are near/at record highs. Cases also surging much faster & steeper than previous waves—especially in young children age 6-10. Similar spikes in other countries. May our children forgive us. HT @nicolasberrod”

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1468854522399399942?s=21

France isn’t locking down though. At least not in the 2020 sense.

Many European nations are edging nervously towards a new lockdown

Even Denmark. Restrictions have returned there. Masks. Work from home. Extended school holidays. Midnight curfew

Nothing incredibly onerous - yet. But Denmark was one of the last success stories. Norway similar
    Some countries are having a mare with deaths. Germany posted over 500 yesterday and Hungary regularly has a daily rate that would be equivalent to over 1,500 in the UK.
    Meanwhile I just spotted this. Javid really did mean A DAY

“Omicron Covid cases could soon exceed one million a day, says Sajid Javid”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/08/omicron-covid-cases-could-soon-exceed-one-million-day-says-sajid/
    If it can reinfect then it's plausible.

In my fag packet extrapolations I got to 1m cases a day in mid January, so Javid thinks it’s more transmissible than I do. Which is interesting. It surely means they know any lockdown is pointless, or they would have brought in a severe Plan Z lockdown ASAP

if it reaches 1m by December 31st, at a doubling rate of every 2-3 days it will be infecting 32m a day by the 2nd week January. In other words it will fizzle and die before then, having infected everyone it can

Lockdowns are meaningless. Nothing can stop this. So Plan B was just a gesture - which will fuck city centres and hospitality

But is it new cases of 1m a day, or 1m would test positive? Very different.
    1m testing positive is about where we are at the moment iirc.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

“Devastating surge of #COVID19 emerging in France 🇫🇷, where cases are near/at record highs. Cases also surging much faster & steeper than previous waves—especially in young children age 6-10. Similar spikes in other countries. May our children forgive us. HT @nicolasberrod”

Even Denmark. Restrictions have returned there. Masks. Work from home. Extended school holidays. Midnight curfew

Nothing incredibly onerous - yet. But Denmark was one of the last success stories. Norway similar
    Some countries are having a mare with deaths. Germany posted over 500 yesterday and Hungary regularly has a daily rate that would be equivalent to over 1,500 in the UK.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/08/omicron-covid-cases-could-soon-exceed-one-million-day-says-sajid/

In my fag packet extrapolations I got to 1m cases a day in mid January, so Javid thinks it’s more transmissible than I do. Which is interesting. It surely means they know any lockdown is pointless, or they would have brought in a severe Plan Z lockdown ASAP

if it reaches 1m by December 31st, at a doubling rate of every 2-3 days it will be infecting 32m a day by the 2nd week January. In other words it will fizzle and die before then, having infected everyone it can

Lockdowns are meaningless. Nothing can stop this. So Plan B was just a gesture - which will fuck city centres and hospitality

But is it new cases of 1m a day, or 1m would test positive? Very different.
    It would be a whole new disgrace if he meant the latter, given the ONS have regularly recorded that level since July 19th and the world has not remotely ended.

In fact we're there right now with delta per the last update.
  • On topic I think it's easy to see how Boris recovers from this. He does nothing much, there are some bad headlines, maybe he loses a by-election or maybe he doesn't. Then he waits for another issue where the Tory press are back on his side, and the Tory press are back on his side.

Can easily see that. You might be right.
  • The Speaker has requested Parliament goes into recess next Tuesday rather than Thursday

Yesterday's PMQs was the last this year
  • Here now is the next problem lining up for Boris.

He lied to Lord Geidt in his investigation into whether the PM had broken the ministerial code. He was required to declare the donation, did not do so and thus had to lie about it. So having lied to that enquiry, his party has been fined and the evidence proving his lie comes out.

On then to what Boris was shitting himself about - the investigation by Katherine Stone the Independent Parliamentary Standard's Commissioner. We now know that not only did the PM break the ministerial code, but then also lied to a formal enquiry into it to ensure that he gets away with it.

He broke the ministerial code. And lied to cover it up. And then tried to abolish the standards commissioner to stop her finding out.

Imagine what relish will be employed to sanction the lying fucker within an inch of his political life...

Who remembers that PMQs a few months ago when Starmer was questioning Johnson on this? Johnson denied everything and Starmer said very knowingly words to the effect of "we'll just leave it there for now". Johnson could be in very big trouble here.

Yes, and I've reminded people of that comment a few times. Its been clear for a while that (a) Boris was in deep shit over flatgate and (b) Starmer knew more than he was saying.

Deliciously, all Liar has managed to do by lying is delay the inevitable. "Nobody cares about wallpaper" supposedly. Perhaps, but this is no longer about wallpaper.

Its now the Bunga Bunga Party flat where Nut Nut had illegal parties whilst the rest of us were locked down.
    Where Boris lied about a donor paying a huge £116k to pay for it.
    Where donors and dodgy money is a major fuck you factor to voters
    Where lying and lying and lying to hide the truth isn't a one-off "no-one cares" but is an almost constant pisstake
    Where not declaring and breaking the ministerial code, but lying about it to parliament and braking the code again is really bad when the Treasury bench continuously breaks the code and gets called out for it.

When the sanctions crash in and Johnson gets disbarred for a month, I don't think punters will be anything like as sympathetic as they would have been had the news come out in isolation earlier this year...
    Not just that.
    A scandal that would have been bad (but probably not terminal, given his underlying popularity at the time) in May has been made worse (by all the lies) and pushed to a time when everyone is hacked off with him.

This is the sort of thing that some people have been going on about for ages- BJPM was bound to end in tears. And whilst this may not finish him off, things like this will keep happening and one of them will. And they will keep happening, because of the type of man Boris is.

He could be there for ten years, sure. But he could be out in ten days.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    Well this is interesting, authoritarians are taking over

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-59589775
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Coming from a member of Cosplay SAGE this is significant-

@chrischirp
    There is some tentative good news out of Gauteng this week, suggesting that cases might be reaching a peak there

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1468885415960760332

Cosplay Sage. Did Eagles come up with that one? 👩🏻‍🔬
    Not sure who it was but I can’t claim credit. I apologise to whomever I have shamelessly stolen it from.
    No need to apologise or pay stipend for using PB in-house memes is there? 🙂
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,181

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Liberal Remainers have wanted Boris out since day 1 since he is by far the most charismatic figure to hold the Leave coalition together which won the biggest Tory landslide since Thatcher in 2019. Remove Boris and it could be much harder for the Tories to stay in power after 10 years and keep the Redwall.

Getting concerned about a mere 4% Labour poll lead in midterm would be absurd when even Kinnock for most of 1990 and Ed Miliband in 2012 both had 10%+ leads midterm and Blair had 20%+ leads by the end of 1994.

If the Tories held North Shropshire it would ironically now be a triumph for Boris. The first Tory by election hold over the LDs since Witney in 2016, the Tories having lost Richmond Park, Brecon and Radnor and Chesham and Amersham to the LDs in by elections since

In your innermost heart, do you ever question why you are shilling for a schmuck?
    He does not. He described the MPs upset with the schmuck as "Traitors" last night. He will snarl at them and cling to the crook right to the end. And then proclaim whichever "traitor" wins the leadership as the New Messiah who has and always has had his support.
    We have always been at war with Eastepping.
    Treason doth never prosper. What's the reason? If it doth prosper, none dare call it treason.
  • F1: Masi threatening points deductions for unfair driving:
    https://twitter.com/wearetherace/status/1468885991108796420

And Raikkonen has a special message added to his car by the team:
    https://twitter.com/decalspotters/status/1468892149257224196
  • Scott_xP said:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson and wife Carrie have announced "the birth of a healthy baby girl at a London hospital earlier today".

When is Boris taking paternity leave? From now until Christmas?

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

The Speaker has requested Parliament goes into recess next Tuesday rather than Thursday

Bigger worry for the government, how much longer is I'm a celebrity on for? Far mote ruthless take down than Starmer with much bigger viewership.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Does he mean 1m new cases per day, or that on a given day there will be 1m with the bug?

On any given day right now about 1m have the bug

So it can’t be that. He must actually mean 1m new infections a day
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Blimmin' heck.

For the first time - with Lord Geidt's and subsequent revelations it seems that BoJo could really be in trouble.

My Boris Out bets expired in Sep 2021 but I have just topped up to end-Dec.
  • eek said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Liberal Remainers have wanted Boris out since day 1 since he is by far the most charismatic figure to hold the Leave coalition together which won the biggest Tory landslide since Thatcher in 2019. Remove Boris and it could be much harder for the Tories to stay in power after 10 years and keep the Redwall.

Getting concerned about a mere 4% Labour poll lead in midterm would be absurd when even Kinnock for most of 1990 and Ed Miliband in 2012 both had 10%+ leads midterm and Blair had 20%+ leads by the end of 1994.

If the Tories held North Shropshire it would ironically now be a triumph for Boris. The first Tory by election hold over the LDs since Witney in 2016, the Tories having lost Richmond Park, Brecon and Radnor and Chesham and Amersham to the LDs in by elections since

You say "over the LDs" but LP is second party in this seat by a margin, 2019: 63/22/10%.

If CP does squeak it and tactical voting means that LP loses its deposit then Johnson has a couple of reasons to be very happy I agree.

Your posts are unremittingly in support of Johnson for the sole reason that he wins elections. I'm curious though - aren't you concerned at all about the directions that this administration is going in, for example the authoritarian direction including the bill to create second class citizens in this country?
    Hahaha. You are talking to the man who thought we should use tanks on Scotland if they dare to vote to leave the Union and was cheerleading the Spanish police beating up Grannies for daring to vote. You could have the army shooting down students in the street and he would still be cheerleading this bunch of lunatics.
    And the most frightening aspect is that he is not some lone nutter on an obscure blog, but an elected Conservative councillor who has a realistic chance of being a parliamentary candidate. In any healthy democracy such unpleasant extremists would be expelled from a mainstream political party.
    Oh I don't think he has any realistic chance of being a parliamentary candidate.

He has a chance of being selected as one followed by rapid removal as a few posters on here inform the constituency of his posts on here. His views that abortion should be a political rather than personal moral decision would I suspect be enough for his removal - I can see about 80% of the (female) population voting instantly for anyone else once that was known.
    I think HYUFD is brave, polite and honest, and I'm not inclined to criticise him for posting here or for seeking to interfere with his career. I don't think we should get to a point where people are afraid to say what they think on PB because someone might try to use it against them. We need a range of views, and should accept that some of them will be ones we strongly disagree with.
    I don't think HYUFD is polite. He might not use taboo words, but his robotic repetition of points, his refusal to engage in any meaningful discussion and his self-declared delight in upsetting anyone who disagrees with him mark him out as a lot less polite than most of our foul-mouthed posters.
    Nailed it.

I’ve a lot of time for ex mp palmer, but on this he is just plain wrong.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Does he mean 1m new cases per day, or that on a given day there will be 1m with the bug?

Good point.

edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

No, he will have meant at any one time....but he could mean via official testing, which would be higher than now....as 40-50k a day of news case, most people aren't deemed to have covid for much more than a week.

If it was a million cases a day, we might as well forget everything, 100ks will be dead in days. And we would be locking down now.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

That fringe! It can only be called doubling down this morning.
    Wrong on so many levels, like a crime wave in a multi storey carpark.
    We need to know whether Angela's hair has peaked and whether it is less virulent than other variants.

I'll take your word for it :D
    Though I think she should would pile on the votes with a lob, Ang could go this, how cool is that

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/530580399823574840/

Or even go complete curtains would be better than multi-storey crime scene as Z called it

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/584975439071542672/.

What is she trying for, ethnic? 🤔
    I dare say this is probably the only beauty tips subplot in the entire history of PB.

More power to your elbow.
  • Scott_xP said:

That is true - but this one was to an enquiry into his own financial conduct and probity which may also have involved him lying in the Commons, and at a time when his popularity has tumbled and he is losing the support of Tory MPs.

There is no person on Earth who didn't know he lied about his financial affairs, or that he lies to the house.

The only question is whether Tory MPs still think he wins them more votes than he loses.

See HYUFD passim...
    The game plan was simple.
    Take a bung for nut-nut's palace wallpaper
    Find out you aren't allowed to take such bungs
    Get the standards commissioner and her entire function abolished
    Have MPs become judge and jury
    Threaten their Build Back Better money
    Win!

Can you see the flaw in the plan?

With Katherine Stone still in place. And it now egregiously clear that he has broken the ministerial code multiple times both on the original offence and the cover-up of the original offence. And with KS now openly saying she is going after the truth. Boris is fucked.

It doesn't matter what MPs think. After the Owen Paterson catastrofuck they will have no choice but to approve her findings and sanction.
  • The Speaker has requested Parliament goes into recess next Tuesday rather than Thursday

Bigger worry for the government, how much longer is I'm a celebrity on for? Far mote ruthless take down than Starmer with much bigger viewership.
    Ends on Sunday 12th December
  • On topic I think it's easy to see how Boris recovers from this. He does nothing much, there are some bad headlines, maybe he loses a by-election or maybe he doesn't. Then he waits for another issue where the Tory press are back on his side, and the Tory press are back on his side.

The tory press do what they have always done, to get their beloved Tory party elected, I just think at this juncture, they want someone else to run their beloved party, but yes if that doesn't happen, without doubt, if the lying clown is still PM in 2 years time, they will make out he was marvellous all along, and so will some on here.
  • DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

You say "over the LDs" but LP is second party in this seat by a margin, 2019: 63/22/10%.

If CP does squeak it and tactical voting means that LP loses its deposit then Johnson has a couple of reasons to be very happy I agree.

Your posts are unremittingly in support of Johnson for the sole reason that he wins elections. I'm curious though - aren't you concerned at all about the directions that this administration is going in, for example the authoritarian direction including the bill to create second class citizens in this country?
    Hahaha. You are talking to the man who thought we should use tanks on Scotland if they dare to vote to leave the Union and was cheerleading the Spanish police beating up Grannies for daring to vote. You could have the army shooting down students in the street and he would still be cheerleading this bunch of lunatics.
    And the most frightening aspect is that he is not some lone nutter on an obscure blog, but an elected Conservative councillor who has a realistic chance of being a parliamentary candidate. In any healthy democracy such unpleasant extremists would be expelled from a mainstream political party.
    Oh I don't think he has any realistic chance of being a parliamentary candidate.

He has a chance of being selected as one followed by rapid removal as a few posters on here inform the constituency of his posts on here.
    The screenshots have been posted on here. (Not by me I hasten to add.)
    There is nothing I have posted on here which is not supported by most Tory members now.

Good for you. You are a bellwether. You move with the wind. Just what this country needs right now.
    FUDHY “moves with the wind”. Yepp, that about sums up the State of England just now.
    MattW said:

Though I think she should would pile on the votes with a lob, Ang could go this, how cool is that

Or even go complete curtains would be better than multi-storey crime scene as Z called it

Aren't they all escapees from Thunderbirds?

(I saw the Soup Dragon yesterday, so I have some Moon Rabbit soup for lunch today. Complete with the green string they used to trap it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBRyP_I0OOA)
    Oh wow. That’s the stuff. Magical. 🥰

Bllllllllllllllllluh (Translated: without packing out Ukrainian with NATO troops, looks like the West have agree to let Putin invade without a fight)
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

Here now is the next problem lining up for Boris.

He lied to Lord Geidt in his investigation into whether the PM had broken the ministerial code. He was required to declare the donation, did not do so and thus had to lie about it. So having lied to that enquiry, his party has been fined and the evidence proving his lie comes out.

On then to what Boris was shitting himself about - the investigation by Katherine Stone the Independent Parliamentary Standard's Commissioner. We now know that not only did the PM break the ministerial code, but then also lied to a formal enquiry into it to ensure that he gets away with it.

He broke the ministerial code. And lied to cover it up. And then tried to abolish the standards commissioner to stop her finding out.

Imagine what relish will be employed to sanction the lying fucker within an inch of his political life...

Who remembers that PMQs a few months ago when Starmer was questioning Johnson on this? Johnson denied everything and Starmer said very knowingly words to the effect of "we'll just leave it there for now". Johnson could be in very big trouble here.

Yes, and I've reminded people of that comment a few times. Its been clear for a while that (a) Boris was in deep shit over flatgate and (b) Starmer knew more than he was saying.

Deliciously, all Liar has managed to do by lying is delay the inevitable. "Nobody cares about wallpaper" supposedly. Perhaps, but this is no longer about wallpaper.

Its now the Bunga Bunga Party flat where Nut Nut had illegal parties whilst the rest of us were locked down.
    Where Boris lied about a donor paying a huge £116k to pay for it.
    Where donors and dodgy money is a major fuck you factor to voters
    Where lying and lying and lying to hide the truth isn't a one-off "no-one cares" but is an almost constant pisstake
    Where not declaring and breaking the ministerial code, but lying about it to parliament and braking the code again is really bad when the Treasury bench continuously breaks the code and gets called out for it.

When the sanctions crash in and Johnson gets disbarred for a month, I don't think punters will be anything like as sympathetic as they would have been had the news come out in isolation earlier this year...
    Not just that.
    A scandal that would have been bad (but probably not terminal, given his underlying popularity at the time) in May has been made worse (by all the lies) and pushed to a time when everyone is hacked off with him.

This is the sort of thing that some people have been going on about for ages- BJPM was bound to end in tears. And whilst this may not finish him off, things like this will keep happening and one of them will. And they will keep happening, because of the type of man Boris is.

He could be there for ten years, sure. But he could be out in ten days.
    He won't though. No more Parliamentary challenges until next year. Even if LD's win Shropshire N it'll be 'My priority at the moment is my family. Little Wilfred needs his Father Christmas games.'
    Or something.
    That's if the Press can find him.
    Dominic Raab's not going to have much of a time, though!

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Coming from a member of Cosplay SAGE this is significant-

@chrischirp
    There is some tentative good news out of Gauteng this week, suggesting that cases might be reaching a peak there

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1468885415960760332

I think given how little testing is done need to be really careful. Positivity rates are off the charts.

It would be great to think that it just whipped through the unvaccinated youngsters and that was it
    The significance was the source. Pagel is not known for being a good news kind of person so if she’s tweeting it then I think it’s significant. But I take your point.
    Maybe even she is sick of constantly pumping out depressing news :-)

Princess Pagers was railing against vaxports and calling for travel bans to be rescinded the other day IIRC.

Not sure what's got into her recently.
  • Scott_xP said:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson and wife Carrie have announced "the birth of a healthy baby girl at a London hospital earlier today".

When is Boris taking paternity leave? From now until Christmas?

Would be a "brave" decision given covid situation.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    If I remember correctly, not so long ago HYUFD was contemplating the prospect of a Lib Dem win in the North Shropshire byelection. I wonder if he could be tempted to forecast the size of the Lib Dem majority now?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

He won't though. No more Parliamentary challenges until next year. Even if LD's win Shropshire N it'll be 'My priority at the moment is my family. Little Wilfred needs his Father Christmas games.'
    Or something.
    That's if the Press can find him.
    Dominic Raab's not going to have much of a time, though!

Raab is isolating
    Another lab analysis of vax V omicron, the Dysphoria in Pretoria

https://twitter.com/janinekimpel/status/1468700628922904591?s=21

Pretty much same as before. Try and get double jabbed, boostered THEN infected, and you’re good
  • DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

He has a chance of being selected as one followed by rapid removal as a few posters on here inform the constituency of his posts on here.
    There is nothing I have posted on here which is not supported by most Tory members now.

Good for you. You are a bellwether. You move with the wind. Just what this country needs right now.
    FUDHY “moves with the wind”. Yepp, that about sums up the State of England just now.
    A bellwether is a castrated ram that leads other sheep.

A weather vane moves with the wind.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

No, he will have meant at any one time....but he could mean via official testing, which would be higher than now....as 40-50k a day of news case, most people aren't deemed to have covid for much more than a week.

If it was a million cases a day, we might as well forget everything, 100ks will be dead in days. And we would be locking down now.
    It’s certainly and annoyingly vague. I’m gonna check his actual words
  • DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

FUDHY is both.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    ClippP said:

If I remember correctly, not so long ago HYUFD was contemplating the prospect of a Lib Dem win in the North Shropshire byelection. I wonder if he could be tempted to forecast the size of the Lib Dem majority now?

My forecast for next Thursday in North Shropshire - Conservatives 45%, LDs 30%, Labour 15%, Reform UK 5%, others 5%.

I was pretty close in my forecast to the result in Old Bexley and Sidcup too
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

F1: Masi threatening points deductions for unfair driving:

And an open letter to Verstappen from Autosport.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/a-request-to-verstappen-before-his-f1-title-showdown-with-hamilton/6864023/
  • mickydroy said:

On topic I think it's easy to see how Boris recovers from this. He does nothing much, there are some bad headlines, maybe he loses a by-election or maybe he doesn't. Then he waits for another issue where the Tory press are back on his side, and the Tory press are back on his side.

The tory press do what they have always done, to get their beloved Tory party elected, I just think at this juncture, they want someone else to run their beloved party, but yes if that doesn't happen, without doubt, if the lying clown is still PM in 2 years time, they will make out he was marvellous all along, and so will some on here.
    Yepp. All very predictable.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

At least that removes any chance of Max intentionally knocking Boris and himself out.
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Another lab analysis of vax V omicron, the Dysphoria in Pretoria

https://twitter.com/janinekimpel/status/1468700628922904591?s=21

Pretty much same as before. Try and get double jabbed, boostered THEN infected, and you’re good

"Gold standard" moderna is total crap against it.....oh goodie i am triple jabbed with it.
  • Nigelb said:

And an open letter to Verstappen from Autosport.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/a-request-to-verstappen-before-his-f1-title-showdown-with-hamilton/6864023/
    Absurd that they have to do so. It has turned into a clowncar showdown.

Scott_xP said:

That is true - but this one was to an enquiry into his own financial conduct and probity which may also have involved him lying in the Commons, and at a time when his popularity has tumbled and he is losing the support of Tory MPs.

There is no person on Earth who didn't know he lied about his financial affairs, or that he lies to the house.

The only question is whether Tory MPs still think he wins them more votes than he loses.

See HYUFD passim...
    The game plan was simple.
    Take a bung for nut-nut's palace wallpaper
    Find out you aren't allowed to take such bungs
    Get the standards commissioner and her entire function abolished
    Have MPs become judge and jury
    Threaten their Build Back Better money
    Win!

Can you see the flaw in the plan?

With Katherine Stone still in place. And it now egregiously clear that he has broken the ministerial code multiple times both on the original offence and the cover-up of the original offence. And with KS now openly saying she is going after the truth. Boris is fucked.

It doesn't matter what MPs think. After the Owen Paterson catastrofuck they will have no choice but to approve her findings and sanction.
    The question always was - what was so urgent that Boris needed to use Owen Paterson as the justification for changing the process. And now we have it confirmed it was Boris's wallpaper.
  • I'm calling it. Wallpapergate sinks Boris.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083

ATTENTION PHILLIP THOMPSON

Source the comment you attributed to me about Livingston or else you will get banned.

Oops! A grovelling apology may be needed, or Philip may have to find something else to do with most of his waking hours!
    Or have to reappear under a new name. PhilT, perhaps?
    eek said:

At least that removes any chance of Max intentionally knocking Boris and himself out.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

My forecast for next Thursday in North Shropshire - Conservatives 45%, LDs 30%, Labour 15%, Reform UK 5%, others 5%.

Thank you, HY. So on the basis of that, since the Lib Dems and the Tories are neck and neck on Betfair, you have lumped on pretty heavily on the Tory candidate?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

I knew they were different but didn’t know what a bellwether was. Thanks!

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Says a supporter of the Scottish National Party, a party filled with extremist lunatics
    How the Union was lost.

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/deeply-held-beliefs/
    The Union will only be lost by giving in to you lot
    By “giving in” you mean accepting the democratic will of the Scottish people as expressed at the ballot box.
    Maybe the best answer of all would have been moving to a Commonwealth type system for the Union 200 years ago, not all shared history since has been good?

If people still think my view on Scotland independence is still patronising and idiotic, I apologise I can’t explain my concern about Scotland turning to Nationalism for answers any more politely. If the real enemy is Globalisation and foreign capital, turning to Nationalism for the way forward is a fools gold in my opinion.

use me as example. My Dad owns land and businesses not at all local to London. He is buying property in London (me and my friend live in this lovely flat for free) but is this not pricing proper London geezers, moody and all that out of the property ladder here? A capital wealth thing from somewhere else changing the way of life of people thst doesn’t have the wealth. That’s the issue Scottish Nationalism needs to treat as enemy.

Based on wealth is power and power is wealth (unless you disagree with this maxim) I believe it is a legitimate question to ask the SNP leadership and it’s party members and supporters - and a very good debate for them to be asking each other too is it not - in an independent Scotland, who owns Scotland? Who owns the land? Who owns the properties? Who owns the factories and all the other industries people work in?

To say you are rich because you are free, but actually having financial clout in this world would be a bonus as well - I’m not sure I would define as a strong starting place for Independent Scotland. But my main concern this position weakens over time, without bridges to your friends. Like me!

Other than this concern, I am right behind any push for a better place for Scottish common origin, ethnicity, and cultural identity in this world and all that.

But turning to Nationalism to fight globalisation? I’m not convinced to be honest

When Johnson goes, it will be a whole tide of things that sinks him. There've been three scandals this week alone - the Afghan hearings, Xmas parties, and now wallpaper - any one of which could have generated a week's worth of headlines in more normal times (anyone remember those?)
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

It does if Max knows it's possible that he will have points deducted and Boris wins...
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    IanB2 said:

Source the comment you attributed to me about Livingston or else you will get banned.

Oops! A grovelling apology may be needed, or Philip may have to find something else to do with most of his waking hours!
    Tilip Phompson.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

It's going to be closer than that, I think. But I'm nowhere near confident that the LibDems will take it. My man on the ground (who lives in the village where the Conservative candidate has rented his holiday cottage...) says a lot of people are still undecided.
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

That only works if turnout is at postal vote levels and most postal votes have been sent.

I suspect the result will be very different because Tory voters won't bother and those wishing to protest will vote (and know who to vote for).
    edited December 2021
    If i was in Boris position now i would step down to spend more time with family and do a teary interview saying never fully recovered from COVID, i suffer brain fog, forgetting exact details, etc etc, it gets better for a bit, then when work load piles on, i go backwards, my doctors have advised me that i can't carry on pushing myself like this...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

It’s quite amazing that the race director has to draw attention, to the most serious punishments available for serious unsporting conduct.

But if it has to happen, then Turn 6 please. No reason…
    Javid’s actual words

"The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) estimates that the number of infections are approximately 20 times higher than the number of confirmed cases, and so the current number of infections is probably closer to 10,000.

"UKHSA also estimate that at the current observed doubling rate of between two and a half and three days, by the end of this month, infections could exceed 1 million."

It can be interpreted different ways.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

No idea what the result will be, but it may well depend on how well the people of NS have received their instruction to vote LD and not Labour.

How it arose that among the chattering classes it had to be LD from 3rd and not Labour from 2nd place is still a bit of a mystery - and looks like a missed trick by SKS (unless to betting is totally wrong)

• LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

He has a chance of being selected as one followed by rapid removal as a few posters on here inform the constituency of his posts on here. His views that abortion should be a political rather than personal moral decision would I suspect be enough for his removal - I can see about 80% of the (female) population voting instantly for anyone else once that was known.
    I think HYUFD is brave, polite and honest, and I'm not inclined to criticise him for posting here or for seeking to interfere with his career. I don't think we should get to a point where people are afraid to say what they think on PB because someone might try to use it against them. We need a range of views, and should accept that some of them will be ones we strongly disagree with.
    I don't think HYUFD is polite. He might not use taboo words, but his robotic repetition of points, his refusal to engage in any meaningful discussion and his self-declared delight in upsetting anyone who disagrees with him mark him out as a lot less polite than most of our foul-mouthed posters.
    I will keep on here to annoy the likes of you then. The representation of pro Boris Tories on here is already small enough anyway compared to the country at large.

I also thank Nick for his comments. I don't agree with him on barely anything but have always found him civil and engaging, certainly more so than many to the right of him including some so called PBTories who are in reality largely just Orange Book LDs
    I don't want you to stop posting. Typical of you to miss the point entirely.

This is the only place on the internet where I have ever had civil and illuminating discussions with people I disagree with. There are lots of arguments too, but there is sometimes an opportunity to understand an opposing point of view in a way that doesn't happen elsewhere.

This never happens with you. It's as though you view posting on here as some form of political trench warfare, and your machine-gunning style of engagement makers it harder for any more interesting discussions to happen. That's why I say you're not polite. And worse you're boring.

I don't understand the hagiography that others are willing to write about you.
    Tucker Carlson joins the Boris pile on in his inimitable fashion.
    Tucker Carlson: Getting COVID “does feminize people. No one ever says that but it’s true”
    https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1468704702275670019

(Farage trigger warning)
    Sandpit said:

It’s quite amazing that the race director has to draw attention, to the most serious punishments available for serious unsporting conduct.

But if it has to happen, then Turn 6 please. No reason…
    Will you be sat on the Grandstand by Turn 6 by any chance?
  • John Redwood
    @johnredwood
    · 5h
    Today I am asking the Health Secretary to put in some more hospital beds so we have more NHS capacity. That would be a good use of the extra money.

Rachel Clarke
    @doctor_oxford
    ·
    1h
    What a good idea. We can ask the NHS unicorns to staff them
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    @Philip_Thompson is an arse, but banning him is a gross overreaction.
    IanB2 said:

Tommy Phillipson. Close relation of Bridget.
  • @Dominic2306
    There was no party on Fri 27/11. Red herring. A staff member left their job. Walked to press office to say bye, PM bumbled in & started babbling, everyone embarrassed, dispersed. Focus shd be actual party in PM's flat Fri 13/11 reported AT THE TIME but ignored by lobby!

He's talking about this, which is reported without any mention of the lockdown rules being broken
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/15/carrie-symonds-held-downing-street-victory-party-after-cummings-left-13596771/
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

If i was in Boris position now i would step down to spend more time with family and do a teary interview saying never fully recovered from COVID, i suffer brain fog, forgetting exact details, etc etc, it gets better for a bit, then when work load piles on, i go backwards, my doctors have advised me that i can't carry on pushing myself like this...

Gotta save the brand for afterwards. Doesn't want to end up looking both not clever and not funny.

I'm calling it. Wallpapergate sinks Boris.

When Johnson goes, it will be a whole tide of things that sinks him. There've been three scandals this week alone - the Afghan hearings, Xmas parties, and now wallpaper - any one of which could have generated a week's worth of headlines in more normal times (anyone remember those?)
    The thing with all those scandals are they just keep reappearing. Most of the time you get to an end and that's that but here - something new appears and restarts them a few weeks later.

That’s also likely true. He looks pretty fucked. His mumbling is worse. Peppa Pig. Etc
  • Sobering that we are now just a few weeks away from Priti Patel having the legal right to arbitrarily remove British citizenship from millions of British citizens.

She already has that right. Tony Blair crossed that bridge. Just ask Begum.

Nope - there was no right to do it arbitrarily, there had to be a specific reason and the subject had to be given advanced notice.
    Correct.

Patel is dragging England into the abyss.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Never mind cases look at hosps n deaths week to yesterday

📌 daily hospitalizations: + 41%
    📌 daily critical care admissions: + 29%
    📌 hospitalized patients: + 24%
    📌 patients in critical care: + 29%
    📌 daily hospital deaths: + 57%
    The flingle-dingle-dongle is overdoing it for now. Their levels of hospital patients are about 2/3 lower in France than eg in Germany.

Who could possibly have predicted that the Conservatives choosing as leader and PM a mendacious, amoral, untrustworthy, disorganised, self-centred buffoon, with the attention-span of a gnat, would lead to chaotic and dysfunctional government, and wouldn't even be in the long-term interests of the Conservative Party?

They don't even have the excuse that they mistakenly projected their hopes on to a blank slate. This slate was already very well-scribbled over; there can't have been a single member of the party who wasn't perfectly aware by 2019 that Boris was totally unsuited to high office.

You would have thought his time as Foreign Secretary showed as much.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

The flingle-dingle-dongle is overdoing it for now. Their levels of hospital patients are about 2/3 lower in France than eg in Germany.

trend...
  • Leon said:

That’s also likely true. He looks pretty fucked. His mumbling is worse. Peppa Pig. Etc
    You took your time.

Who could possibly have predicted that the Conservatives choosing as leader and PM a mendacious, amoral, untrustworthy, disorganised, self-centred buffoon, with the attention-span of a gnat, would lead to chaotic and dysfunctional government, and wouldn't even be in the long-term interests of the Conservative Party?

They don't even have the excuse that they mistakenly projected their hopes on to a blank slate. This slate was already very well-scribbled over; there can't have been a single member of the party who wasn't perfectly aware by 2019 that Boris was totally unsuited to high office.

If it was not for Boris the Tories would not have a majority of 80, Brexit would still not have got done and Corbyn would still be leader of the Labour Party
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

Thank you, HY. So on the basis of that, since the Lib Dems and the Tories are neck and neck on Betfair, you have lumped on pretty heavily on the Tory candidate?
    I may well do
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

I think it is many fold. His chaotic life, COVID, being PM when he isn't up to*, and then his long held tendency to play fast and loose with the truth but now every word is analysed, so there is never a let up in the pressure.

* I believe he is one of those people who were smart as a kid, had a good way with words but peaked by time 18-19. Then spend the rest of their lives thinking they are still much smarter than everybody else when they aren't, nor can they get away with doing their homework 5 mins before the bell any longer.
    I always enjoy Dom's morning tweetstorms about Boris.

Yes I think this is spot on Morris dancer

They need to say over and over and over again in advance, the incident that takes rival out the race will be scrutinised, if judged intent to do that we will dock the required number of points title is not won
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

I will keep on here to annoy the likes of you then. The representation of pro Boris Tories on here is already small enough anyway compared to the country at large.

I also thank Nick for his comments. I don't agree with him on barely anything but have always found him civil and engaging, certainly more so than many to the right of him including some so called PBTories who are in reality largely just Orange Book LDs
    I don't want you to stop posting. Typical of you to miss the point entirely.

This is the only place on the internet where I have ever had civil and illuminating discussions with people I disagree with. There are lots of arguments too, but there is sometimes an opportunity to understand an opposing point of view in a way that doesn't happen elsewhere.

This never happens with you. It's as though you view posting on here as some form of political trench warfare, and your machine-gunning style of engagement makers it harder for any more interesting discussions to happen. That's why I say you're not polite. And worse you're boring.

I don't understand the hagiography that others are willing to write about you.
    It is difficult to post something ironically, with the raised eyebrow and grin which means the poster doesn't something to be taken at face value. Which easily;y done in a face to face situation.

And I suspect that both my Essex neighbour and those 'critical' of him sometimes suffer from that difficulty.
  • HYUFD said:

If it was not for Boris the Tories would not have a majority of 80, Brexit would still not have got done and Corbyn would still be leader of the Labour Party
    In turn:

- Yes
    - No
    - I doubt it, but even if it were the case, so what?

In any case you've ignored the point. Yes, it might have been in the very short-term interests of the party to choose this amoral buffoon, but you didn't have be a superforecaster to figure out that it would be a disaster for both the country and the party in the medium term.
  • Who could possibly have predicted that the Conservatives choosing as leader and PM a mendacious, amoral, untrustworthy, disorganised, self-centred buffoon, with the attention-span of a gnat, would lead to chaotic and dysfunctional government, and wouldn't even be in the long-term interests of the Conservative Party?

That’s what a Tory thinks.

Imagine how ordinary people are reacting to this.
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

It does if Max knows it's possible that he will have points deducted and Boris wins...
    It will make it less likely, but it's still entirely possible.

IanB2 said:

Tommy Phillipson. Close relation of Bridget.
    Careful. Even the mere mention of Bridget Phillipson is enough to raise the heart rate of several fragile PBers.

Absolutely - the cumulative effect always magnifies the pressure. The reason why I am calling this one and not the others as final break factor is that its no longer in his control.

He can deflect and obfuscate things like Afghanistan though the stench from them spices up the way that all of these are received. He can try and ignore dodgy PPE contracts. He can try to insist "I wasn't there" for the parties.

But wallpapergate? He lied. To the independent arbiter investigating alleged breach of the ministerial code. He lied. To parliament after his earlier lies found him not to have breached the code. He tried to remove the standards commissioner so that not only will she now go after this with aplomb but they can do nothing but accept her findings.

When she reports, Boris will be caught in a web of lies about dodgy donations to spend an unfathomable amount of money decorating a flat that was used by the PM and his family and staff for repeated breaches of the law. And THAT sinks him. Because the PM has to obey the law. Even this one. And people will no longer be as dismissive as they would have been if this had broken earlier this year.

BTW great to see you posting a little more regularly
    Has Philip been banned? I missed that.

Why?
  • Mr. Rabbit, to play Devil's advocate, Senna and Prost both pulled this nonsense and got away with it.

And Hamilton suffered no points deduction for Silverstone.

HYUFD said:

In turn:

- Yes
    - No

In any case you've ignored the point. Yes, it might have been in the very short-term interests of the party to choose this amoral buffoon, but you didn't have be a superforecaster to figure out that it would be a disaster for both the country and the party in the medium term.
    If Hunt had succeeded May as Tory leader then Farage would have stood BXP candidates in all Tory held seats. It is unlikely he would have won as many Redwall seats as Boris did nor enough to make up for Tory seats in the South lost to the LDs as the BXP took Tory votes.

Hence we would still be likely in groundhog day a la 2017, Hunt PM in office but not in power, with most seats but no majority, still unable to get his Deal through the Commons and Corbyn still Leader of the Opposition.
    HS2 has signed a £2bn contract for it's trains.

There are being built in Newton Aycliffe and fitted out in Derby so there will be 550 lorries performing the task the railways should be doing.

MattW said:

(I saw the Soup Dragon yesterday, so I have some Moon Rabbit soup for lunch today. Complete with the green string they used to trap it.

Bllllllllllllllllluh (Translated: without packing out Ukrainian with NATO troops, looks like the West have agree to let Putin invade without a fight)
    Smokey Joe does seem to be being a little dim. 'No, we won't send our military in', essentially. I thought the idea was to leave them wondering.

Though the forces of Ukraine are a lot bigger and a lot better than they were before. It would be interesting if the Russkies tried and were sent back in underpants and flip-flops.
    A perfect accompaniment to the pineapple topped delicacy.
    IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

trend...
    France has a trend of switchbacks.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Dura_Ace said:

Sam Coates on Sky News actually looks physically exhausted at having to explain Johnson's multiple co-morbid scandals.

It's surely quicker and easier to list the occasions when he has told the truth and behaved with integrity.
  • HYUFD said:

If Hunt had succeeded May as Tory leader then Farage would have stood BXP candidates in all Tory held seats. It is unlikely he would have won as many Redwall seats as Boris did nor enough to make up for Tory seats in the South lost to the LDs as the BXP took Tory votes.

Hence we would still be likely in groundhog day a la 2017, Hunt PM in office but not in power, with most seats but no majority, still unable to get his Deal through the Commons and Corbyn still Leader of the Opposition.

You seriously underestimate Jeremy Hunt, and you're arguing that Farage would have successfully prevented Brexit. I very much doubt that; quite apart from anything else, Brexit was going to happen by the effluxion of time.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

HYUFD said:

In turn:

- Yes
    - No

Many moons ago (I was looking for the post but gave up, meanwhile @Philip_Thompson can look for a header from over 10 years ago and find it in moments) I wrote that Boris would be found out but that I had no idea how or when but he would be.

This was no great or searing insight but was a statement of the bleedin' obvious.

And lo if we're not there then we are pretty close to it.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Cummings still at it:

"Shopping cart isn't Heineken, he was/is UNPOPULAR. Our strategy & message won 2019, not a mythical Heineken quality which does not exist if u look at the data. b/ 'Carry on'. There's nothing TO carry on, there's no plan no team no grip no clue no message no nuthin"
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653

Has Philip been banned? I missed that.

Why?

Not sure really. Being pedantic I guess.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Smokey Joe does seem to be being a little dim. 'No, we won't send our military in', essentially. I thought the idea was to leave them wondering.

Though the forces of Ukraine are a lot bigger and a lot better than they were before. It would be interesting if the Russkies tried and were sent back in underpants and flip-flops.
    That’s seriously worrying.

If the Russkis go over the border, threatening to take Ukraine and leave a massive border between Russia and NATO, how are the NATO countries supposed to respond to Ukraine’s cry for help?

Grow a pair, Sleepy Joe. Tell them they can expect to be bombed back to Moscow.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

trend...
    France has a trend of switchbacks.
    France has been produced very strange figures throughout this pandemic, they have regularly had far less cases than the UK but many more people in hospital with Covid
This discussion has been closed.