Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s hard to see how Johnson recovers from this – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    edited December 2021
    Stocky said:

moonshine said:

First thing the cleaner said this morning “bloody Boris Johnson I hate that man. What a liar. And to think I said goodbye to my dying father on an iPad for him”.

Cut through. Conservative MPs would be wise to move swiftly or the next election will already be lost.

She said goodbye to her dying father on an iPad for Boris Johnson?
    Yes, he stood up in front of the nation and described the restrictions as a moral imperative, and put the teeth of criminal law behind him too. Because it was apparently so important they were followed to the letter with no room for compassion at all.

The anger among the apolitical population at large is as great as any I have seen in my lifetime.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Can I speak out in support of @Philip_Thompson for a minute. I am hardly his biggest fan and I'm sure its mutual. He is always happy to repeatedly double down with his positions - so often from a place of having minimal experience / knowledge. I assume he would be an amazing poker player with that level of bluffing.

I assume he has been put in at least time out for going all in on misquoting OGH to win a battle with @DougSeal over something irrelevant. He loves his strawmen argument and YES OR NO ultimatums. But despite me finding his "people die so what" argument to be awful he isn't abusive or stupid or dull.

We need him on this site.

I’m more worried about what he’s going to do with his days while he’s banned.
    Hope that Max Verstappen wins the F1 championship cleanly this weekend, which will almost certainly settle the SPoTY bet I have with him, in his favour.
    Nice deadpan.
    I've backed Hamilton for SPOTY, and laid him for the F1 win in the amount of the stake.
    A neatish arbitrage ?
    Ish. The worry (from a betting perspective) would be a crash-out “victory” for MV, that leads to a massive outpouring of support for Lewis over the next week.
    Why would that be a worry for me ?
    You’re right, I got it the wrong way round. Am stressed at the moment, waiting for bloody covid test result that’s required to turn up tonight for a walk around the circuit.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited December 2021

ping said:

“British housing boom created £3tn ‘unearned’ and ‘unequal’ windfall“

https://amp.ft.com/content/68b06c6d-5a72-4eed-86d0-6cdc90f99fcb

“Corlett said a change was needed. “Choosing not to tax this huge housing wealth windfall . . . has real consequences, including higher taxes for workers and businesses.”

He’s right. Time to tax property, properly.

It is but at the same time a political graveyard for any party threatened taxes on individual peoples homes
    I don't know why we don't have Council Tax Bands that go above, e.g.
    £3,408.76. You could have a £3m house, easy, around here and still pay only twice as much as a flat worth 10% of it.
    I have maintained that for years - more upper band rates are needed to reflect fairness

Mind you here in Wales the labour green coalition have announced a wide sale review into council tax
    It will be fascinating to see which parts of the very ambitious Labour/PC programme actually get carried out.

The agreement included moves to establish rent controls; the extension of free school meals to all primary school pupils; childcare for all two-year-olds; creation of a National Care Service; limits on second-home ownership; a replacement for council tax; the creation of a publicly owned construction company and an energy company; changes to the Senedd’s size and electoral system, including a statutory guarantee of gender balance; and measures to promote the Welsh language

The one thing that I am confident about is that increasing the size of the Senedd will happen :)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    Downing Street now argue that because Johnson wasn't told that Lord Brownlow was the "ultimate donor" he's in the clear

(Why else might a wealthy donor be picked to chair refurbishment trust?)

But PM original denial much wider than that: "(PM) knew nothing about such payments"

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1468892847835340806
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    edited December 2021
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

That fringe! It can only be called doubling down this morning.
    I'll take your word for it :D
    Though I think she should would pile on the votes with a lob, Ang could go this, how cool is that

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/530580399823574840/

Or even go complete curtains would be better than multi-storey crime scene as Z called it

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/584975439071542672/.

What is she trying for, ethnic? 🤔
    Aren't they all escapees from Thunderbirds?

(I saw the Soup Dragon yesterday, so I have some Moon Rabbit soup for lunch today. Complete with the green string they used to trap it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBRyP_I0OOA)
    Oh wow. That’s the stuff. Magical. 🥰

Bllllllllllllllllluh (Translated: without packing out Ukrainian with NATO troops, looks like the West have agree to let Putin invade without a fight)
    Smokey Joe does seem to be being a little dim. 'No, we won't send our military in', essentially. I thought the idea was to leave them wondering.

Though the forces of Ukraine are a lot bigger and a lot better than they were before. It would be interesting if the Russkies tried and were sent back in underpants and flip-flops.
    That’s seriously worrying.

If the Russkis go over the border, threatening to take Ukraine and leave a massive border between Russia and NATO, how are the NATO countries supposed to respond to Ukraine’s cry for help?

Grow a pair, Sleepy Joe. Tell them they can expect to be bombed back to Moscow.
    We are not going to get in a shooting war (which could easily go nuclear) with Russia over Ukraine. We are just not. Biden knows it and Putin knows it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216

ping said:

“Corlett said a change was needed. “Choosing not to tax this huge housing wealth windfall . . . has real consequences, including higher taxes for workers and businesses.”

It is but at the same time a political graveyard for any party threatened taxes on individual peoples homes
    What did they expect?

1) Pour money into the economy.
    2) Declare house price inflation the right kind of inflation.
    3) Have population rising at the rate of a small city per year.
    4) Blocking the construction of homes to keep up with population growth
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Can I speak out in support of @Philip_Thompson for a minute. I am hardly his biggest fan and I'm sure its mutual. He is always happy to repeatedly double down with his positions - so often from a place of having minimal experience / knowledge. I assume he would be an amazing poker player with that level of bluffing.

I assume he has been put in at least time out for going all in on misquoting OGH to win a battle with @DougSeal over something irrelevant. He loves his strawmen argument and YES OR NO ultimatums. But despite me finding his "people die so what" argument to be awful he isn't abusive or stupid or dull.

Hope that Max Verstappen wins the F1 championship cleanly this weekend, which will almost certainly settle the SPoTY bet I have with him, in his favour.
    Nice deadpan.
    I've backed Hamilton for SPOTY, and laid him for the F1 win in the amount of the stake.
    A neatish arbitrage ?
    Ish. The worry (from a betting perspective) would be a crash-out “victory” for MV, that leads to a massive outpouring of support for Lewis over the next week.
    You’re right, I got it the wrong way round. Am stressed at the moment, waiting for bloody covid test result that’s required to turn up tonight for a walk around the circuit.
    Good luck.
    #envious
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: Downing St is arguing that Lord Geidt’s report on flat refurb did not get it wrong on what the PM knew.

Why? They argue PM knew Lord Brownlow was HANDLING the money, but not the SOURCE of the money.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1468927765068095490

Just resting in his account?
    Better than Harry Redknapp and the offshore bank account that did not belong to him, but his dog......
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,745
    Shall we play PB British Death bingo

If OMICRON THE BARGAINER offered you a deal, would you take it?

ie how many deaths would be acceptable, if OMICRON THE MERCIFUL BUT CRUEL then brought Covid to an end as a pandemic, and it was tamed into a new flu?

I reckon I'd take 100,000 UK deaths this winter. Easy. 100,000 morbidly obese, stupidly antivax, very very old, sorry guys - bye. The rest of us get our lives back

In fact if OMICRON THE TRUTHFUL swore blind that he'd stop fucking us over, and turn into a cold by May, forever and ever, I might accept 500,000 deaths. Pretty steep, but there ya go. A million just seems too callous.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2021
    moonshine said:

Stocky said:

moonshine said:

First thing the cleaner said this morning “bloody Boris Johnson I hate that man. What a liar. And to think I said goodbye to my dying father on an iPad for him”.

Cut through. Conservative MPs would be wise to move swiftly or the next election will already be lost.

Yes, he stood up in front of the nation and described the restrictions as a moral imperative, and out the teeth of criminal law behind him too. Because it was apparently so important they were followed to the letter with no room for compassion at all.

The anger among the apolitical population at large is as great as any I have seen in my lifetime.
    The rather sad truth is that the general public are shameless hypocrites on this.

Nobody followed the guidelines 100%.

Say it ain’t so
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Fun day for IT in the office. Fun day all round really !

Fallout from AWS outage yesterday?
    Setting up for wfh again :D
    I think I'll still be WFH on the second anniversary of the last time I was properly working in the office.
    I am still working from home, but then I was before COVID. :hushed:

More seriously, for one funder, I am now able to travel internationally, but not for three others. Can't wait for a real trip again. Or to work in the same room as others.

• Options

ping said:

£3,408.76. You could have a £3m house, easy, around here and still pay only twice as much as a flat worth 10% of it.
    One word: littleoldladies
    Why would you have a house worth £3 million if you are unable to afford £3,000 a year Council Tax? Surely you would sell it, move somewhere cheaper, and enjoy your retirement a lot more.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Fun day for IT in the office. Fun day all round really !

Fallout from AWS outage yesterday?
    Setting up for wfh again :D
    I think I'll still be WFH on the second anniversary of the last time I was properly working in the office.
    I am still working from home, but then I was before COVID. :hushed:

More seriously, for one funder, I am now able to travel internationally, but not for three others. Can't wait for a real trip again. Or to work in the same room as others.

Weren't you off to Baku? Did you go?
  • Options
    Leon said:

ie how many deaths would be acceptable, if OMICRON THE MERCIFUL BUT CRUEL then brought Covid to an end as a pandemic, and it was tamed into a new flu?

I reckon I'd take 100,000 UK deaths this winter. Easy. 100,000 morbidly obese, stupidly antivax, very very old, sorry guys - bye. The rest of us get our lives back

In fact if OMICRON THE TRUTHFUL swore blind that he'd stop fucking us over, and turn into a cold by May, forever and ever, I might accept 500,000 deaths. Pretty steep, but there ya go. A million just seems too callous.

Are you still doing the ayahuasca trip? Intrigued to hear what you get out of it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    ping said:

moonshine said:

Stocky said:

moonshine said:

Yes, he stood up in front of the nation and described the restrictions as a moral imperative, and out the teeth of criminal law behind him too. Because it was apparently so important they were followed to the letter with no room for compassion at all.

The rather sad truth is that the general public are shameless hypocrites on this.

Say it ain’t so
    A lot of people tried to the best of their ability. Having numerous parties with tens of people is something quite different.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Dr Eric Fingl-Doom on France

“Devastating surge of #COVID19 emerging in France 🇫🇷, where cases are near/at record highs. Cases also surging much faster & steeper than previous waves—especially in young children age 6-10. Similar spikes in other countries. May our children forgive us. HT @nicolasberrod”

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1468854522399399942?s=21

Never mind cases look at hosps n deaths week to yesterday

📌 daily hospitalizations: + 41%
    📌 daily critical care admissions: + 29%
    📌 hospitalized patients: + 24%
    📌 patients in critical care: + 29%
    📌 daily hospital deaths: + 57%
    The flingle-dingle-dongle is overdoing it for now. Their levels of hospital patients are about 2/3 lower in France than eg in Germany.

trend...
    France has a trend of switchbacks.
    France has been produced very strange figures throughout this pandemic, they have regularly had far less cases than the UK but many more people in hospital with Covid
    Probably different testing regimes and also criteria for hospital admission?
    I really don't know, but at the moment despite have far less cases than the UK over the past 8 weeks they have 13044 in hospital, which is nearly double the UK's number
    Over the last weeks, the divide between Northern Surge and Southern Flat profiles has been at the France-Belgium France-Germany border.

Something about warm and cold climates, and length of summer?
    The differences between various countries in testing are such that positive test results are only useful for internal comparisons - whether cases are up or down in country X for example.

Hospitalisation is a better measure, but not perfect because of definitions.
  • Options

Can Johnson recover?

Of course, Many a politician has been immersed in worse shit and come up smelling of roses.

Many pundits & commentators thought Thatcher would not survive the Westland affair.

Not merely did she, ... she won the General Election the following year convincingly.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Nice deadpan.
    A neatish arbitrage ?
    Good luck.
    #envious
    Thanks. It’s been a good autumn of sport out here, with the T20 World Cup, the Rugby 7s last weekend and the F1 finale this weekend.

Makes up for pretty much all social events getting binned last year.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Are you still doing the ayahuasca trip? Intrigued to hear what you get out of it.
    Supposedly still happening, but I wonder....
  • Options

Can Johnson recover?

Of course, Many a politician has been immersed in worse shit and come up smelling of roses.

Many pundits & commentators thought Thatcher would not survive the Westland affair.

Not merely did she, ... she won the General Election the following year convincingly.

Yes he will just disappear from public life for a few weeks, paternity leave, xmas, new year, then pick a fight with Macron in January which will boost them both and bring back the fan boys into the fold.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

I hear it is the shit....no wait, it gives you the shits...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Nice deadpan.
    A neatish arbitrage ?
    I'm glad I've not got tickets to this weekend's race.

Paying all that money for tickets, travel, and hotels, and getting kicked out of FP1 and banned for the rest of the weekend for calling Max Verstappen a cock juggling thunder c**t wouldn't be a good use of my money.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Though I think she should would pile on the votes with a lob, Ang could go this, how cool is that

Or even go complete curtains would be better than multi-storey crime scene as Z called it

(I saw the Soup Dragon yesterday, so I have some Moon Rabbit soup for lunch today. Complete with the green string they used to trap it.

Bllllllllllllllllluh (Translated: without packing out Ukrainian with NATO troops, looks like the West have agree to let Putin invade without a fight)
    Smokey Joe does seem to be being a little dim. 'No, we won't send our military in', essentially. I thought the idea was to leave them wondering.

Though the forces of Ukraine are a lot bigger and a lot better than they were before. It would be interesting if the Russkies tried and were sent back in underpants and flip-flops.

If the Russkis go over the border, threatening to take Ukraine and leave a massive border between Russia and NATO, how are the NATO countries supposed to respond to Ukraine’s cry for help?

The Russians probably won't take Ukraine entirely. Not now. My guess will be another big bite, of areas with high numbers of "Russian" Ukrainians.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

MattW said:

MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

“Devastating surge of #COVID19 emerging in France 🇫🇷, where cases are near/at record highs. Cases also surging much faster & steeper than previous waves—especially in young children age 6-10. Similar spikes in other countries. May our children forgive us. HT @nicolasberrod”

The flingle-dingle-dongle is overdoing it for now. Their levels of hospital patients are about 2/3 lower in France than eg in Germany.

trend...
    France has been produced very strange figures throughout this pandemic, they have regularly had far less cases than the UK but many more people in hospital with Covid
    I really don't know, but at the moment despite have far less cases than the UK over the past 8 weeks they have 13044 in hospital, which is nearly double the UK's number
    Over the last weeks, the divide between Northern Surge and Southern Flat profiles has been at the France-Belgium France-Germany border.

The differences between various countries in testing are such that positive test results are only useful for internal comparisons - whether cases are up or down in country X for example.

Basically the only international comparison that has a chance of being accurate is excess deaths and a fair few countries hide those as well.
  • Options

Can Johnson recover?

Westland was nowhere near as bad as this.

The problem for Boris is that recent events have cruelly illuminated a pattern of behaviour going back years, which people were vaguely aware of but sorta forgave as Boris can be funny. Breaking Covid lockdown to have a party IS NOT FUNNY

So now he is suddenly not-forgiven for all the other stuff, especially as he is also reimposing Covid lockdown rules

The end is night-ish for him, he needs a gamechanger. Can't see where it comes from
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

I am looking forward to hearing what wisdom is imparted from the interdimensional elves / the dark recesses of your subconscious
  • Options
    MikeSMikeS Posts: 1
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Nice deadpan.
    A neatish arbitrage ?
    What happens, points-wise, if they take each other out?
    MV wins the championship, as he has one more win than LH - the race that never was, in Belgium.

The worry is, that MV now has an incentive to do just that.
    Not quite

"Formula 1 race director Michael Masi has reminded teams and drivers that any unsporting conduct at the Abu Dhabi season finale could result in a championship points deduction."
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

Can Johnson recover?

Fair point but this is a very different media environment and an issue of more pressing import to people than helicopters
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited December 2021

ping said:

Aspiration.

ping said:

One word: littleoldladies
    These arguments get trotted out, but I'm hardly a Trostskite.

I do genuinely mean bands that affect people with £1.5m + properties.

In the US, land of the aspiration middle classes, property taxes are commonly 1-3% of property value - that's £10,000 to £30,000 a year on a £1m property or 7 to 21 times what we pay here.
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

The Armish apparently deliberately tried to give themselves herd immunity from COVID through the means of passing around their cups at church.....sharing about Amazon hippy juice sounds like a similar efficient method.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The end is night-ish for him, he needs a gamechanger. Can't see where it comes from

Article 16
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Leon said:

I'm guessing there is an olive left and that's all in the first martini but you are mixing/have ordered the second. Amiright?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

We are not going to get in a shooting war (which could easily go nuclear) with Russia over Ukraine. We are just not. Biden knows it and Putin knows it.
    I don’t know why the f*ck anyone thinks NATO will ride to Ukraine’s rescue. As you said, everyone knows it. The only reason Putin didn’t do it earlier is that he thought Trump might be nuts enough to actually do something
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

I'm calling it. Wallpapergate sinks Boris.

I’m calling it. Kengate sinks Philip Thompson
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

So we need another explanation for your recent posts.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

ping said:

I do.
    Because the well-off didn't like paying the rates.
    It was designed by a Tory government to have precisely those features.
  • Options
    Some bishop bashing going on this piece.

It's time to confront the immorality of lockdowns

The failure of religious and spiritual leaders to address the societal costs of restrictions has been an utter travesty

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/09/time-confront-immorality-lockdowns/
  • Options
    ping said:

moonshine said:

Stocky said:

moonshine said:

Say it ain’t so
    @FrancisUrquhart did. I'm sure of it.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    edited December 2021
    moonshine said:

Stocky said:

moonshine said:

Yes, he stood up in front of the nation and described the restrictions as a moral imperative, and put the teeth of criminal law behind him too. Because it was apparently so important they were followed to the letter with no room for compassion at all.

Yes, agree about the anger. My mother is in a care home. There was always an exemption in place to see your loved one in an end of life situation. My father lives alone, if he was on his last legs wild horses wouldn't keep me from going to see him.
  • Options
    Welcome to PB, Mr. S.
  • Options

Can Johnson recover?

Yes he will just disappear from public life for a few weeks, paternity leave, xmas, new year, then pick a fight with Macron in January which will boost them both and bring back the fan boys into the fold.
    Pretty plausible. He should be hiring you on a big salary as Stratton's replacement :)
  • Options

ping said:

What did they expect?

True. But at the same time, that wealth is illiquid. Taxing it 'properly' would force a lot of people not only out of their homes but out of their localities, just because they happened to be somewhere that 'got lucky' (which undoubtedly wouldn't be how they saw it).

The only 'fair' ways to do it, IMO, are through inheritance tax and property sales taxes - in other words, when residency is changing anyway.

There is an argument for higher, more progressive council tax banding (and updating ratings), and I get that no-one has a right to live in a home they can't afford. But equally, should the govt be effectively actively evicting people? I don't think so.

Oh, also - stick up interest rates. That alone will bring prices down a bit.
  • Options
    eek said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

trend...

Basically the only international comparison that has a chance of being accurate is excess deaths and a fair few countries hide those as well.
    And that is a long way in the rear view mirror.

For day-to-day comparisons, I would say hospital admissions, and number in hospital would be a fair comparison for developed world countries.
  • Options

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

The Armish apparently deliberately tried to give themselves herd immunity from COVID through the means of passing around their cups at church.....sharing about Amazon hippy juice sounds like a similar efficient method.
    Yes. Quite. And the geezers I'm doing it with are not 20-somethings. So I have grave doubts it will go ahead
  • Options
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

If you actually had Covid recently, you are more likely to test positive when trying to get back into the UK.

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

The Russians probably won't take Ukraine entirely. Not now. My guess will be another big bite, of areas with high numbers of "Russian" Ukrainians.
    Followed by ethnic cleansing of the Ukrainian population.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    Leon said:

Thing is - you need to also put yourself in the lottery of death, otherwise you have no real stake. Other people dying who you've never met is 'easy'.
  • Options
    Exchange of the day at today's lobby briefing on Plan B:

"If I'm in a theatre watching a musical, can I take my mask off to sing?"

No10: "Yes. There is a general exemption for singing"

So could I walk into Tesco without a mask as long as I'm singing?

No10: "Essentially, yes"

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1468926687287070735
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

I don’t know why the f*ck anyone thinks NATO will ride to Ukraine’s rescue. As you said, everyone knows it. The only reason Putin didn’t do it earlier is that he thought Trump might be nuts enough to actually do something
    I'd laugh my ***s off if Russia invaded, NATO said it would respond, invoked Article 5, and then volunteered the UK to sort it out.
  • Options
    MikeS said:

Sandpit said:

ping said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Nice deadpan.
    A neatish arbitrage ?
    MV wins the championship, as he has one more win than LH - the race that never was, in Belgium.

Not quite

"Formula 1 race director Michael Masi has reminded teams and drivers that any unsporting conduct at the Abu Dhabi season finale could result in a championship points deduction."
    Welcome to PB, but forgive my lack of trust in the FIA to actually switch the championship winner with a penalty, if push came to shove, came to crash.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Stocky said:

moonshine said:

I agree. What’s more, not only does it manifest in anger at the personal inconvenience or tragedies that the lockdown caused, but also the impact on others. If you know a family member who’s husband or wife couldn’t see them in hospital etc etc, it causes further anger because the rules hurt and upset them too.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Downing St is arguing that Lord Geidt’s report on flat refurb did not get it wrong on what the PM knew.

Why? They argue PM knew Lord Brownlow was HANDLING the money, but not the SOURCE of the money.

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1468927765068095490

And that'll be why you can't pay birthday cash into your child's account anymore.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

I'm guessing there is an olive left and that's all in the first martini but you are mixing/have ordered the second. Amiright?
    Entirely sober. I reckon this is a cold calculation we are all quietly making. The bargaining stage

OK one more winter, take 200,000, I can cope, then just go away

We can endure a lot of pain, and a lot of death, and a lot of lockdown, what we cannot endure is that it might never stop. That this is it, forever. That is intolerable. So we make little mental bargains to get us thru the days
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Can Johnson recover?

This is far worse than Westland, but….
    …do the people who voted for Boris actually care?

Perhaps this was priced in? You don’t vote Boris for good governance or integrity. I suspect the people that like Boris don’t care too much about corruption, hypocrisy or taking the piss, They might actually like him sending up the institutions and mocking the whole thing. Everyone else never voted for him in the first place. He’s there because he creates a mess and distracts from the tough choices and realities of life.

As such the moves towards another lockdown might be more damaging.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Leon said:

Can Johnson recover?

The problem for Boris is that recent events have cruelly illuminated a pattern of behaviour going back years, which people were vaguely aware of but sorta forgave as Boris can be funny. Breaking Covid lockdown to have a party IS NOT FUNNY

So now he is suddenly not-forgiven for all the other stuff, especially as he is also reimposing Covid lockdown rules

How about triggering Article 16 and with maximum hardball chutzpah over a couple of dramatic weeks forcing the EU just before Christmas to change a couple of sentences in their offer on the Protocol?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Article 16
    I was going to say WAR WITH FRANCE, but A16 amounts to much the same thing.

Except- what if triggering A16 turns out to make things worse, not better?

If it were cost-free National Vim, Boris would have done it at the Party Conference.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Entirely sober. I reckon this is a cold calculation we are all quietly making. The bargaining stage

We can endure a lot of pain, and a lot of death, and a lot of lockdown, what we cannot endure is that it might never stop. That this is it, forever. That is intolerable. So we make little mental bargains to get us thru the days
    Cases down vs last Thursday in Wales today. Anyway, everyone will definitely get Omicron, you just have to make sure you’re vaccined up.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Nah. Putin had Trump's measure. And probably his negatives.

NATO won't ride to Ukraine's rescue as such. There won't be American boots on the ground in Kiev. But there may well be (damn well should be) very strong economic sanctions - including, for example, freezing all Russian assets, private or public, above a low maximum. Obviously, Russia would respond with a boycott of gas sales and the like (hence why it's happening in winter, and why Russia has already been restricting sales, to run down client stocks), but that is a price that should be paid.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Oh look, Ed's in Putin's mind and he can report to us that the Russian hardman was scared of Donald Trump.
  • Options

Leon said:

Thing is - you need to also put yourself in the lottery of death, otherwise you have no real stake. Other people dying who you've never met is 'easy'.
    Oh, I put myself in there, of course. And vulnerable family and friends, too

Otherwise it's a pointless exercise in wishcasting

I reckon I am probably OK personally. Triple jabbed, likely (?) already infected at least once, no comorbidities, apart from the booze I lead a reasonably healthy life: gym, fish, seaweed, all that. Not much stress, no office hours

I'd bet on me to make it through

Could take both my parents tho
  • Options
    Of all the hills to die on I’m not sure why @Philip_Thompson chose a pedant off with me that essentially revolved around a definition of “2008”. I hate to back down as much as the next man but even I have limits…
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: No10 mount extraordinary defence of Boris Johnson, claiming he did not lie to the public over the No10 flat refurbishment... because while he knew Tory donor was *organising* the money, he didn't know it was actually *the donor's money* 🤯
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-accused-lying-probe-25655522?!11

That is extraordinary. Reinforces the dodgy donors aspects of the scandal, won't cut it either with the commissioner or the public, is massive sophistry at the very best.

So, with such amazing lengths being gone to, we're back to just how pant-shittingly scared are they of the truth?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Article 16
    Great minds / fools never ...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382

Can Johnson recover?

He's running out of time wrt Macron. The fishing license process should simply have been stopped with a "use the Treaty dispute mechanism" months ago, which would go our way. Time is required for Brexit success to develop, and it's getting short.

There's another chance tomorrow, but BJ is too moronic to do it.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Can Johnson recover?

Fair point but this is a very different media environment and an issue of more pressing import to people than helicopters
    Hard to know, actually.

Sturgeon clearly survived extensive ... shall we say ... forgetfulness of what happened in the Salmond affair with no great difficulty earlier this year. The public can be surprisingly forgiving.

Whether Boris survives probably comes down to whether he wants to.

There may be more of a question mark as to whether the lazy slob actually wants to, given that he could earn much more as ex-PM

In fact, given that Wanker Clegg earns much more as ex-Deputy PM, it is surprising to me that anyone wants to be in Government for very long anymore.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Can Johnson recover?

How about triggering Article 16 and with maximum hardball chutzpah over a couple of dramatic weeks forcing the EU just before Christmas to change a couple of sentences in their offer on the Protocol?
    No, not good enough. He needs something huge like the first vaccine surge. Something near-miraculous to blow away the stink
  • Options
    MattW said:

Can Johnson recover?

He's running out of time wrt Macron. The fishing license process should simply have been stopped with a "use the Treaty dispute mechanism" months ago, which would go our way. Time is required for Brexit success to develop, and it's getting short.

What's happening tomorrow?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,420
    Leon said:

Can Johnson recover?

Boris won't be going anywhere. He has a historical perspective. He knows fine well others have weathered far worse and come through.

Look at Bill Clinton. Lies, Lewinsky, impeachment. He would have won re-election and a third term easily if the constitution didn't have term limits.

Hell, even Trump was nearly re-elected.

Nope. Lots more entertainment to come.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

NATO won't ride to Ukraine's rescue as such. There won't be American boots on the ground in Kiev. But there may well be (damn well should be) very strong economic sanctions - including, for example, freezing all Russian assets, private or public, above a low maximum. Obviously, Russia would respond with a boycott of gas sales and the like (hence why it's happening in winter, and why Russia has already been restricting sales, to run down client stocks), but that is a price that should be paid.
    What’s Chinas or India’s position? Would they join sanctions? We need to know that. I Putin just signed a deal with Modi.
  • Options
    Leon said:

At the moment I'd settle for the death toll not including me.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Exchange of the day at today's lobby briefing on Plan B:

"If I'm in a theatre watching a musical, can I take my mask off to sing?"

No10: "Yes. There is a general exemption for singing"

So could I walk into Tesco without a mask as long as I'm singing?

No10: "Essentially, yes"

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1468926687287070735

To which Greg Callus, formerly very much of this parish, replied:

Greg Callus
    @Greg_Callus

Not commenting on Plan B: just pointing out that if ever there were to be a legislative amendment to criminalise singing along when at the theatre - an offence which (in most circs) many believe should carry the death penalty - now would be the time for it to be introduced.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MikeS said:

Sandpit said:

ping said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Nice deadpan.
    A neatish arbitrage ?

Not quite

Welcome to PB, but forgive my lack of trust in the FIA to actually switch the championship winner with a penalty, if push came to shove, came to crash.
    Sounds like this could end up with Court of Arbitration for Sport sometime in 2022......
  • Options

Mr. Rabbit, to play Devil's advocate, Senna and Prost both pulled this nonsense and got away with it.

And Hamilton suffered no points deduction for Silverstone.

Historically you are correct. But is it right? And should it be tolerated in face of safety.

Martin Brundle has anecdote from before got into F1 himself and senna going for the title (gp2, 3?) the stunt senna pulled on Prost for title Brundle could have pulled on Senna.

Should it not be tolerated on both grounds of unsporting and dangerous?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

The plan I believe is to remove Russian Banks from the Swift and IBAN networks. That basically doesn't require anyone apart from the US to insist upon it and everyone will follow..
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2021
    Jonathan said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

What’s Chinas or India’s position? Would they join sanctions? We need to know that. I Putin just signed a deal with Modi.
    I think it’s reasonably likely china would make a move on Taiwan at the same time.

Why would china care about Ukraine, other than to use the situation to their advantage?

The post ww2 peace settlement looks very brittle, to me.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

It's precisely those bargains that the government needs to make and let us know what they have decided. We are coming up to two years now and this might last a few more years. The public should be asked their views on this and also for extra funding for the NHS if that is what it will take for the NHS to be "protected" regardless of this or that virus.

Oh and what on earth are you doing sober? It's past one o'clock.
  • Options

ping said:

What did they expect?

True. But at the same time, that wealth is illiquid. Taxing it 'properly' would force a lot of people not only out of their homes but out of their localities, just because they happened to be somewhere that 'got lucky' (which undoubtedly wouldn't be how they saw it).

The only 'fair' ways to do it, IMO, are through inheritance tax and property sales taxes - in other words, when residency is changing anyway.

There is an argument for higher, more progressive council tax banding (and updating ratings), and I get that no-one has a right to live in a home they can't afford. But equally, should the govt be effectively actively evicting people? I don't think so.

Proportional property tax with fix Council Tax and Stamp Duty.
    Plus CGT on main dwellings.

Job done.
  • Options
    eek said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

The plan I believe is to remove Russian Banks from the Swift and IBAN networks.
    Would crypto markets make that less significant?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    TOPPING said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

I'd laugh my ***s off if Russia invaded, NATO said it would respond, invoked Article 5, and then volunteered the UK to sort it out.
    A Russian partition or occupation of Ukraine would actually suit US interests. It would remind the Western Europeans they still need the US and stop them getting any ideas about stragic autonomy. It would tie the Russians up for decades of expensive misery as a bonus.
  • Options
    MattW said:

ping said:

What did they expect?

Job done.
    Yes. Job done.

Also election lost.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

It's precisely those bargains that the government needs to make and let us know what they have decided. We are coming up to two years now and this might last a few more years. The public should be asked their views on this and also for extra funding for the NHS if that is what it will take for the NHS to be "protected" regardless of this or that virus.

One reference point as to how inured we've become to Covid. The estimated actual global death toll from Covid is around 20m. That would be 2m more than died in World War I - in half the time.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

One reference point as to how inured we've become to Covid. The estimated actual global death toll from Covid is around 20m. That would be 2m more than died in World War I - in half the time.
    Yes but didn't Spanish flu kill more than that?
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Good points. Good thoughts. I’ll pass that on to the Soup Dragon for you.

Although she is on a distant moon, she does take East West diplomatic mind games very seriously.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

NEW: No10 mount extraordinary defence of Boris Johnson, claiming he did not lie to the public over the No10 flat refurbishment... because while he knew Tory donor was *organising* the money, he didn't know it was actually *the donor's money* 🤯
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-accused-lying-probe-25655522?!11

That is extraordinary. Reinforces the dodgy donors aspects of the scandal, won't cut it either with the commissioner or the public, is massive sophistry at the very best.

So, with such amazing lengths being gone to, we're back to just how pant-shittingly scared are they of the truth?
    Have you ever tried to grind the truth out of a guilty teenager, especially when you jolly well know the truth already? Can't confess, because they know and fear the consequences. So they tie themselves tighter and tighter in knots.

We're about two cycles from "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD", I reckon.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

I am shortly up to Highgate for oysters and fine wines with an old pal. We are not going gentle into that good night
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

You cannot negotiate with the virus; and no-one has any idea what actions will lead to what level of deaths. All we can say - roughly - is certain actions - e.g. masks, wfh, vax - *reduces* infections and deaths. But we have no ides what the baseline of deaths will be for non-action, especially with Omicron.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Wouldn't matter. The Kremlin's dodgy overseas money isn't in India or China.

The West should absolutely be doing everything it can to keep / get India on side though. Frankly, it shouldn't be all that hard, particularly now that Pakistan doesn't matter.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Yes but didn't Spanish flu kill more than that?
    50-80m is the estimate. Huge

But there is now a chance that Covid could equal it, if OMICRON THE SCYTHE-WIELDER gets going in the unvaxxed poor
  • Options

We're about two cycles from "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD", I reckon.

It has been suggested the next line will be "There is no flat in Downing Street"
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Can Johnson recover?

I can't see the party junking him unless and until the polls show clearly that he's become a liability (cf a realistic alternative) in the sort of seats where the next GE will be decided. We're miles off that (although it could happen quickly of course) and so although I hope he goes and goes soon, my betting view is this is a good time to back him to still be PM at next years Tory Party conference. 1.5 on that is value imo.
  • Options
    Single customer view will be available to all bookmakers showing your net deposits across the industry.

https://igamingbusiness.com/philp-throws-support-behind-scv-and-affordability-in-gb-gambling-review/

Will make it close to impossible for winning punters.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

The world / European population (heck even the UK population) is a lot higher now then in 1914. So the figures are higher but the percentage of population way lower.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Can Johnson recover?

I can't see the party junking him unless and until the polls show clearly that he's become a liability (cf to a realistic alternative) in the sort of seats where the next GE will be decided. We're miles off that (although it could happen quickly of course) and so although I hope he goes and goes soon, my betting view is this is a good time to back him to still be PM at next years Tory Party conference. 1.5 is value imo.
    I'd wait for next week's polls.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

From a British only perspective, Covid is running at ~1/3rd of battlefield casualties, leaving civilians alone.

I'm sure this makes me a monster, but I feel a much greater sense of loss for 20 year old soldiers than covid deaths with a median age of 82, if we want the full perspective, however.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

Can Johnson recover?

Easy. Invade France
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Can Johnson recover?

Hard to know, actually.

Sturgeon clearly survived extensive ... shall we say ... forgetfulness of what happened in the Salmond affair with no great difficulty earlier this year. The public can be surprisingly forgiving.

Whether Boris survives probably comes down to whether he wants to.

There may be more of a question mark as to whether the lazy slob actually wants to, given that he could earn much more as ex-PM

In fact, given that Wanker Clegg earns much more as ex-Deputy PM, it is surprising to me that anyone wants to be in Government for very long anymore.
    A few things to note WRT Sturgeon however:

1. The whiff of scandal over the whole Salmond affair was uncomfortable and unpleasant, but it didn’t personally impact people in the same way as the perceived hypocrisy of the Covid rules did. The charge was essentially that there was a bit of a smoky room vibe about trying to “get” a fellow politician. Not edifying by any stretch of the imagination, but not personally impactful to people. It might have had more cut-through if Salmond was a popular king over the water who enjoyed more personal popularity than Sturgeon, but as it was he was seen as yesterday’s man at the time that this all blew up.

2. Sturgeons raison d’etre is independence. She will be backed by a large chunk of the population until she achieves that goal, or encounters a significant failure in trying to bring that about (eg a referendum loss). Boris’ raison d’etre for many was bringing about Brexit. He did. His personal story in some ways is already complete. Unless he can come up with another good reason why he should stick around and why those supporters should continue to vote for him. At the moment that’s fear of nurse in voting for Labour (Labour are currently making inroads in trying to correct that, but there’s more to do) and the levelling up agenda. Which is not going great places at the moment.
  • Options

MattW said:

ping said:

What did they expect?

Job done.
    Yes. Job done.

Also election lost.
    CGT on main dwellings looks lovely but creates a whole different set of issues.

Simply replacing Council Tax with something else fixes a lot of the issues but a rebranding and revaluation of council tax is such a brave decision the VOA / Treasury are petrified to even suggest it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    edited December 2021
    Mr. Rabbit, consistency would be the counter-argument.

Hamilton got a 10s time penalty for taking out Verstappen in Silverstone, which saw the Dutchman get 0 points and Hamilton still claim 25.

I don't for a moment think that was vindictive on Hamilton's part but his car was in a fundamentally different place to that when he passed Leclerc at the same track section later in the race.

Omicron: was that the name of the villain in The Three Doctors special of Doctor Who? Edited extra bit: i think it was him or Omega.
  • Options

The present boundaries of Ukraine were set by Stalin. It is the impossible country.

It would be better if Ukraine is dismembered with minimum loss of blood. But, one way or another, it will inevitably be dismembered.

Because no-one can put the House that Joe Built back together again.

Just as no-one could put the House that Tito Built back together again.
  • Options

MattW said:

ping said:

What did they expect?

Job done.
    Yes. Job done.

Also election lost.
    I have an idea...

Take the increase in population each year (estimated). Distribute the numbers around the country - each council is on the hook to produce X new homes - either private development or whatever.

IF they want to be nimbies - they can *buy* house credits for houses built by councils in other areas. Bit like Carbon Credits. So a council that builds above the quota can sell the excess to those below quota.
  • Options
    eek said:

MattW said:

Can Johnson recover?

What's happening tomorrow?
    Tomorrow is the date the EU have asked the UK to resolve all the disputes by. Obvs they have no authority to impose a deadline, but it is an opportunity.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/fishing-row-france-uk-le-havre-port-boats-brexit-b963094.html

AIUI There are two lots of disputes - those with no serious evidence submitted, which have gone nowhere, and those with some evidence but more required where the deadline has been extended to Jan 31.

I'm saying the Govt should just declare the first category done and dusted with a Non. It resolves those disputes :-).

Mr Macaron will go off like a Roman Candle, but that's what he does.

Plus there are separate processes for UK / Jersey / Guernsey.
This discussion has been closed.