Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In North Shropshire the betting’s getting tighter – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2021 in General
imageIn North Shropshire the betting’s getting tighter – politicalbetting.com

A week on Thursday we have the Shropshire North by-election to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Owen Paterson and as can be seen in the betting chart the Lib Dems are edging up.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    tsrif
    dnoces
    driht
    and so on
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited December 2021
    And Labour think they are in second place!

What is the 2.5% next to Labor supposed to represent? They are about 200/1 on Betfair
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    IshmaelZ said:

and so on

Surely no os dna ?

IshmaelZ said:

and so on

Surely no os dna ?
    tniop dooG.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Why is Johnson dressing up like a policeman? He looks like a 55 year old at a five year old's fancy dress party.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Roger said:

Why is Johnson dressing up like a policeman? He looks like a 55 year old at a five year old's fancy dress party.

There's no way the fat prick looks 55. 65 maybe.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Farooq said:

Roger said:

He doesn’t look like someone who will last into old age. Everything seems to be catching up with him. Still he made his bed...
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

and so on

Surely no os dna ?
    tniop dooG.
    ¿ƃuᴉʇᴉɹʍ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ǝɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ s,ʇɐɥM
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Farooq said:

Roger said:

He's 57 isn't he?

But clearly not looked after himself. He looks rather liverish.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

and so on

Surely no os dna ?
    tniop dooG.
    ¿ƃuᴉʇᴉɹʍ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ǝɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ s,ʇɐɥM
    .wonʞ ɿǝvǝn lliw υoγ ˎʞƨɒ oɈ bǝǝn υoγ ʇI

Farooq said:

Roger said:

He doesn’t look like someone who will last into old age. Everything seems to be catching up with him. Still he made his bed...
    I hope his family will be looked after. I suspect they will.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Roger said:

Which one?
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Roger said:

Shirley "families"?
  • Why Amazon keep winning...

https://youtu.be/HxXJ8Q2GCs4
  • Roger said:

The new BBC crime drama looks a bit rubbish while we wait 3 years for season 2 of the bodyguard.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    FPT TimT Posts: 4,736
    2:21PM
    TheScreamingEagles said:
    » show previous quotes
    Time for Her Majesty to appoint a Viceroy.
    Sounds like you're throwing your hat in the ring, TSE. I'd just like to point out that I already am in place (albeit currently basking in the tropical sunshine of Camborne).
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    IshmaelZ said:

and so on

no os dna
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    Roger said:

With reference to that photo of Boris, I found this from the writer of Line of Duty pretty funny:

https://twitter.com/jed_mercurio/status/1467855644149665795
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited December 2021
    Good evening PB.

10 hours after having my booster jab I'm feeling absolutely fine! No side effects whatsoever so far.

I had Moderna so I've got to say thank you to the Blessed Donald and his "beautiful" vaccine :D
  • Lay the favourite.

Governments don't win by-elections. I'd be shocked if the Tories hold this.
  • Lay the favourite.

So would I
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Jennifer Arcuri has accused Andrew Neil of paedophilia, and he is theatening to sue for defamation.
  • GIN1138 said:

Good evening PB.

10 hours after having my booster jab I'm feeling absolutely fine! No side effects whatsoever so far.

I had Moderna so I've got to say thank you to the Blessed Donald and his "beautiful" vaccine :D

Don't forget the blessed Tits of Tennessee...Dolly Parton

GIN1138 said:

Good evening PB.

Don't forget the blessed Tits of Tennessee...Dolly Parton
    LOL! 😂

Jennifer Arcuri has accused Andrew Neil of paedophilia, and he is theatening to sue for defamation.

Blimey...
  • Jennifer Arcuri has accused Andrew Neil of paedophilia, and he is theatening to sue for defamation.

She sounds somewhat unhinged.

I have always assumed she is unhinged.
    She just has that look.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Roger said:

With reference to that photo of Boris, I found this from the writer of Line of Duty pretty funny:

With every single wanky overwrought tweet, tiktok, instapost, facebook diatribe laughing at Boris or scorning him or just blatantly abusing him, his wife, his kids, his life, his face, his everythingness, his shocking effrontery in even existing and being a Tory AND A VILE BREXITEER I find myself driven back to the idea of voting for Boris again. And again and again and again and again

This unusual psychic reaction is quintupled if said mocking or derisory tweet or op-ed or facebook polemic comes from some stupidly overpaid luvvy, pundit, movie director, and so on

Keep it up, lads, Boris will have a majority of 100+ next time
    Have you seen the footage of Gordo ending his zoom interview, where he is all weird smiley, the interviewer says thank you, he forgets to hang up, immediately smile gone, angry face, slams laptop shut while webcam is still on?

Hahahaha, amazing stuff on Twitter. Brillo has quote-tweeted her "accusation" so now all his followers will see it. Genious.
    Leon said:

Roger said:

With every single wanky overwrought tweet, tiktok, instapost, facebook diatribe laughing at Boris or scorning him or just blatantly abusing him, his wife, his kids, his life, his face, his everythingness, his shocking effrontery in even existing and being a Tory AND A VILE BREXITEER I find myself driven back to the idea of voting for Boris again. And again and again and again and again

This unusual psychic reaction is quintupled if said mocking or derisory tweet or op-ed or facebook polemic comes from some stupidly overpaid luvvy, pundit, movie director, and so on

He’s quite a successful writer.

I think we used to have a writer on here, but as far as I can tell he was driven mad, went all gammony and vaguely conspiracy-theory. Started voting solely to “own the libs” etc.

I presume he is now in a 12 step and/or witness protection programme.
  • Jennifer Arcuri has accused Andrew Neil of paedophilia, and he is theatening to sue for defamation.

Would seem that the PM has a 'thing" for dangerous women - the crazier the better?

Sort of like Big_G!
  • Lay the favourite.

They did in Old Bexley

Would seem that the PM has a 'thing" for dangerous women - the crazier the better?

Sort of like Big_G!
    Maria Wheeler seemed very sane.

On the other hand, you’d have to be a bloody idiot to throw your lot in with Boris.

I believe she was also a Brexiter.

So perhaps you are right.
    Farooq said:

Hahahaha, amazing stuff on Twitter. Brillo has quote-tweeted her "accusation" so now all his followers will see it. Genious.
    I'd suggest that he is neither stupid, nor clueless about libel law, nor acting without legal advice. If she has 50k followers this makes this non-trivial, if he RTs to millions that just ups the gravity of the libel

Sort of like Big_G!
    What on earth do you mean
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    Has The Truss been spotted in Shropshire?

Leafleting for the LibDems.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,258

Leon said:

Roger said:

I think we used to have a writer on here, but as far as I can tell he was driven mad, went all gammony and vaguely conspiracy-theory. Started voting solely to “own the libs” etc.

Who knows? These arty types are weird

But I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast today as I prowled the Olchon Valley and him and his interviewee made the point that Trump would have got nowhere near beating Biden if the hatred of Trump had not been so overdone, so intense and insane, and so ugly. Forcing people with doubts to think “Fuck it: Trump it is”

And that’s Trump, where some of the fear and loathing is eminently justified. He is a menace to American democracy

Boris, for all his flaws - the kids, the lies, the vanity, the incompetence - is not Trump, yet he gets Trump-level loads of scorn and contempt and personal abuse. It is way overdone and it is always the fucking Remoaner losers at the forefront. Fuck ‘em

I hope Boris wins three more general elections just so they explode with anger
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

I'd suggest that he is neither stupid, nor clueless about libel law, nor acting without legal advice. If she has 50k followers this makes this non-trivial, if he RTs to millions that just ups the gravity of the libel
    If, indeed, it is libel.
  • Lay the favourite.

They did in Old Bexley
    Which was a dismal failure by the Opposition.

If the Opposition were credible and looking like winning the next election, then Labour should be winning North Shropshire. They were second last time, have been second all but one time and have regularly gotten over 30% in the past.
    Leon said:

just so they explode with anger

Can you demonstrate what that would look like? Wait, I see it now.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

Sort of like Big_G!
    I don't know what he means either, but it feels like a compliment. I'd go with that if I were you Big G.
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

If, indeed, it is libel.
    Don't you start...
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

If, indeed, it is libel.
    Hahaha. Careful.

Even if it wasn’t, how the hell would Arcuri know?

Lay the favourite.

They did in Old Bexley

If the Opposition were credible and looking like winning the next election, then Labour should be winning North Shropshire. They were second last time, have been second all but one time and have regularly gotten over 30% in the past.
    Jeez, they sound terrible. Are you sure you want to lay the favourite after all?
  • Lay the favourite.

They did in Old Bexley

I really cannot believe Starmer supports tactical voting in this by election where he needs to show progress for labour

If the conservatives do lose then it will be a justified warning but how would Starmer explain a loss of vote share

Sort of like Big_G!
    Just being a smartass at your expense . . . sort of . ..
    edited December 2021

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

If, indeed, it is libel.
    Hahaha. Careful.

Even if it wasn’t, how the hell would Arcuri know?
    Ah, truth is not the only defence against an accusation of libel.
    And all I'm saying is, don't prejudge a court case that hasn't finished. It mightn't even start.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Who knows? These arty types are weird

But I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast today as I prowled the Olchon Valley and him and his interviewee made the point that Trump would have got nowhere near beating Biden if the hatred of Trump had not been so overdone, so intense and insane, and so ugly. Forcing people with doubts to think “Fuck it: Trump it is”

And that’s Trump, where some of the fear and loathing is eminently justified. He is a menace to American democracy

Boris, for all his flaws - the kids, the lies, the vanity, the incompetence - is not Trump, yet he gets Trump-level loads of scorn and contempt and personal abuse. It is way overdone and it is always the fucking Remoaner losers at the forefront. Fuck ‘em

I hope Boris wins three more general elections just so they explode with anger
    Boris is not that removed from Trump.
    They are both fat, useless liars, with a certain skill in using PR stunts and woke-baiting to fool the old, senile, and syphilitic.
  • kjh said:

Sort of like Big_G!
    I don't know what he means either, but it feels like a compliment. I'd go with that if I were you Big G.
    I would not describe my beloved wife of 57 years a dangerous woman to be fair
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    Roger said:

Johnson in campaigning mode is a
    Construction Worker, a Cop, a Biker (well cyclist anyway) only a Cowboy and a Native American and we have a full set of the Village People.
  • Farooq said:

Roger said:

”Fat prick” 😄

This is why I come to PB: for the insightful political analysis.

But seriously, the useless turd really does look like shite warmed up. His first stroke or coronary incident cannot be far off. I know 75 year olds who look fitter. Jeez, even 85 year olds.
  • Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    Looks like something might be happening in the cases data now. Probably a good thing term is ending soon.
  • Have just read the Neill / Arcuri spat on twitter.

Wow...
  • Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    2h
    Eat, drink & be merry, for tomorrow (or, more likely, in the new year) we may [catch omicron].

Farooq said:

Roger said:

”Fat prick” 😄

This is why I come to PB: for the insightful political analysis.

But seriously, the useless turd really does look like shite warmed up. His first stroke or coronary incident cannot be far off. I know 75 year olds who look fitter. Jeez, even 85 year olds.
    Every time he puts a bobble hat on - EVERY TIME - he looks like a care in the community case.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    Leon said:

Roger said:

It's not like you to over-react to a mildly amusing and pretty inoffensive joke at the Prime Minister's expense.

Have just read the Neill / Arcuri spat on twitter.

Wow...

It certainly cheered me up. I don't care which of them goes down in flames. Perhaps both? It's fantastic sport either way.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084

kjh said:

Sort of like Big_G!
    But if she were….you’d be safer saying the same
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Leon said:

Roger said:

It's the middle age version of students going back to a pub in their hometown, telling everyone how they've been living their lives all wrong, then wondering why no one phones them for a pint
  • kjh said:

Sort of like Big_G!
    Would the lady prefer to be considered harmless?

Please keep in mind, one of the MOST dangerous things in the world is a good woman!

Anyway, was just contrasting you - favorably I hope - with the PM.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

kjh said:

Sort of like Big_G!
    Just use your imagination Big G.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Do we have any posters in North Shropshire ? Do they have any local insights ?

Perhaps, though, after the 14th visit from the Focus Team, they have ceased to care about anything.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Wow...

who is Arcui?

It does not change the validity or not of her accusation, but it seems everybody else knows, should I have heard of her?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Technically he’s libelled himself - remember everyone who retweets a libellous tweet is guilty of libel.
  • Everton v Arsenal live on Sky and will the Everton supporters really walk out on the 27th minute as threatened

• Luke Akehurst
    @lukeakehurst
    ·
    51m
    To the people saying "Labour can't win in North Shropshire, the LDs can": Labour has been just 2,195 votes off winning the seat; the nearest the Lib Dems have ever been was 11,000 behind, and that was in 1983!!! There is no evidence it is a good seat for the Lib Dems.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Vote for an imbecile to annoy the precious!

C'mon. Shape up.
  • kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

I AM NEGATIVE

The future of British lithic sex toy carving is secured

You just had a cold. Anyone familiar with your hyperbolic panic about the slightest little thing should have known that from the outset.
    I know you’re a boring, humourless, middle brow dickhead, just as i am a hyperbolic twat with a drama queen complex, and I imagine we probably agree on these diagnoses, but on this point I beg to differ.

This was not a cold. No sneezing, no runny nose, no sore throat, no temperatures, it attacked my chest FIRST and then left me virtually comatose for 48 hours (I was literally awake for about 90 minutes out of 48 hours). No cold has ever done that. And yet flu - I have had flu - is considerably worse. Intense fevers. Etc

So what was it? I dunno. I feel like I am almost better after being bedridden 12 hours ago. Very strange

I wonder if we will encounter many of these strange ailments. We - as a species (especially in the rich world) have just gone thru an unprecedented experiment in quarantine and isolation. There will be peculiar consequences
    And yet you were well enough to post (regularly). Not exactly deaths door.
    Ah fuck off. Seriously. Fuck off and do one

For 48 hours I felt absolutely terrible. Really really shit. I was fairly convinced I had some kind of Covid - because it was all so strange and new and odd

And yet every three or six hours I would wake up and feel OK. And then - because I was ill and still in bed and unable to go to the pub 9 miles away, because I AM ENTIRELY ALONE IN A REMOTE COTTAGE - I came on PB and chatted with you guys, because you are funny and smart and clever albeit quite geeky (like me) and there is nearly always someone around to talk to.

It’s like waking up in a hospital ward full of quirky Cambridge Phds and superb racing tipsters and drunken computer experts happy to chat - it’s great. It is better than any ward.

I am grateful for that. I am grateful for PB being there. I am grateful to TSE and OGH and RCS and everyone else for providing this forum. It has kept me sane these last three days and I hope, if and when you ever get disquietingly ill - you too will be able to rely on this forum as a way of communicating, and of diluting your loneliness. Because that is what it has done for me. And if you do find yourself in that situation, I will be happy to chat to you, because this is what we do. We chat and we argue and somehow we help each other, as a weird by-product.

It is a good thing.
    It's just all so emotionally extreme. Going from one panic to another. And some very very unpleasant comments at the expense of @IanB2 and @kinabalu to name but two. You need calling out on this stuff. Happy to dish it out, not so happy when you get it back.
    Sean was ever thus. Happy to dish out copious mendacity, filth and venom, but a fragile wee petal when called out.

Nevertheless, glad the popinjay is over his man cold.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    BigRich said:

Wow...

who is Arcui?

It does not change the validity or not of her accusation, but it seems everybody else knows, should I have heard of her?
    She had an affair with Boris to collect some government grants
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Luke Akehurst
    @lukeakehurst
    ·
    51m
    To the people saying "Labour can't win in North Shropshire, the LDs can": Labour has been just 2,195 votes off winning the seat; the nearest the Lib Dems have ever been was 11,000 behind, and that was in 1983!!! There is no evidence it is a good seat for the Lib Dems.

Keep that up! split the anti tory vote.
  • Roger said:

Construction Worker, a Cop, a Biker (well cyclist anyway) only a Cowboy and a Native American and we have a full set of the Village People.
    But never a lawyer.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    I expect the Conservatives to narrowly hold North Shropshire. However it will be closer than Old Bexley and Sidcup with the Conservatives just under 50% and the LDs on 40%+.

If the Labour vote collapses in favour of the LDs then there is also a chance that RefUK could again come 3rd as they did in Bexley, only this time beating Labour rather than the LDs
  • Roger said:

Wait for him showing up at the Calgary Stampede
  • Everton v Arsenal live on Sky and will the Everton supporters really walk out on the 27th minute as threatened

Or will most of the fans there have fallen asleep by then?! 😀
  • eek said:

BigRich said:

Wow...

who is Arcui?

OR did she had an affair with some government grants to collect Boris?

Much of a muchness either way!
  • Farooq said:

Wow...

It certainly cheered me up. I don't care which of them goes down in flames. Perhaps both? It's fantastic sport either way.
    I see what you mean, but the worry is that IF the accusation is true, there are some real victims out there. Whatever the facts, such serious criminal accusations *must* be investigated. Even if they were “in the past” (copyright Twat Raab).
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Farooq said:

Wow...

I see what you mean, but the worry is that IF the accusation is true, there are some real victims out there. Whatever the facts, such serious criminal accusations *must* be investigated. Even if they were “in the past” (copyright Twat Raab).
    It's a serious accusation?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    BigRich said:

Wow...

who is Arcui?

Johnson's pole dancing former travelling companion and alleged beneficiary of mayoral patronage.
  • RobD said:

Farooq said:

Wow...

I’m concerned if you think that paedophilia is not a serious accusation.

Farooq said:

Wow...

Must they?
    Does Arcuri have any evidence? It doesn’t really look like it.

RobD said:

Farooq said:

Wow...

All accusations are serious? Are you that naive?
  • eek said:

BigRich said:

Wow...

who is Arcui?

Could Arcuri bring Johnson down? She must know where at least some of the bodies are buried.

BigRich said:

Wow...

who is Arcui?

Johnson's pole dancing former travelling companion and alleged beneficiary of mayoral patronage.
    I don’t think there’s much “alleged” about her being a beneficiary.

It’s just that its apparently just “Boris being Boris” in the kakistocracy formerly known as the U.K.
  • Farooq said:

Wow...

Must they?
    She better have. Otherwise she’ll be spending the rest of her existence in poverty.
  • RobD said:

Farooq said:

Wow...

Paedophilia is serious. "You're a paedo" is about as serious as it gets. And she is a public figure.

Farooq said:

Wow...

Must they?
    She better have. Otherwise she’ll be spending the rest of her existence in poverty.
    It seems to be entirely based on the presence of his name in Epstein's book and that photo. Like I said, not serious.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Farooq said:

Wow...

Must they?
    Surely another sponsorship for her 'tech' activities can't be ruled out
  • RobD said:

Farooq said:

Wow...

Must they?
    It seems to be entirely based on the presence of his name in Epstein's book and that photo. Like I said, not serious.
    I’d prefer the police to draw conclusions, rather than random dudes on an obscure blog.
  • Roger said:

Farooq said:

Wow...

Must they?
    Surely another sponsorship for her 'tech' activities can't be ruled out
    Hush money.

RobD said:

Farooq said:

Wow...

Must they?
    I’d prefer the police to draw conclusions, rather than random dudes on an obscure blog.
    You want police to spend time on this based on the evidence presented? A serious claim would require a little more than this.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Public figures should not use Twitter
  • RobD said:

Farooq said:

Wow...

Must they?
    It may not be a serious accusation. But the accusation is serious.
This discussion has been closed.