Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Neither Johnson nor his deputy Raab come out of this well – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I've just been Googling "Sadiq Khan" to see what he is actually *doing*

Not much. But a few things. eg He is doing THIS

"Sadiq Khan has unveiled £25,000 grants to help people change street names as part of a diversity campaign launched following Black Lives Matter protests.

"The Mayor of London has announced a £1 million fund that will be shared out among community groups, including those wishing to campaign to alter potentially offensive road names.

"Grants of up to £25,000 will support groups through all aspects of the process of changing street names, which could include enlisting consultants and compensating residents.

"The Untold Stories fund is part of the Commission for Diversity in the Public Realm, which was established following Black Lives Matter protests to diversify artwork and statuary that came under scrutiny for commemorating figures linked to empire and slavery."

Utterly pointless Woke bullshit, which also wastes money. Brilliant

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/10/21/black-boy-lane-diversity-drive-sadiq-khan-plans-25000-grants/

And THIS:

"London mayor Sadiq Khan has urged the government to make face coverings mandatory on public transport as the UK continues to average more than 40,000 confirmed coronavirus cases a day for over a week."

He wants us all to mask up again. That's an inspired and innovative policy. Who saw that coming?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sadiq-khan-mandatory-face-masks-public-transport-b1947540.html

He's just extended the ULEZ zone which at a stroke has stopped me gadding around in my big polluting Merc. Whilst I'm not his greatest fan, eg he comes over to me as a careerist, and as I say he's making me walk everywhere, it has to be noted that much of the more visceral dislike of him is driven by him being Muslim. Not you, of course, but it's undeniably in the mix. Which is disappointing to see.
    It is deniably in the mix.
    He’s just crap.

The only person to bring up his Muslim-ness was the equally crap Zac Goldsmith.
    So iyo there are hardly any people whose dislike of him is driven by anti-Muslim prejudice? I think that's an absurdly optimistic notion. Please note I'm not in any way implying that any particular person who thinks he's rubbish is being influenced by this. It's not a smear against anybody to point out that prejudice is in the mix. Neither is it to say he isn't rubbish or some 'lefty comfort blanket' against something or other. It's just a factual comment.
    implying that any particular person who thinks he's rubbish is being influenced by this
    But if you're thinking it, I am too. I doubt we'd be the only ones.
    Ah but hang on. Take gardenwalker for eg, I am totally NOT thinking this. I must have read 1000 of his posts and not a trace of anti-muslim prejudice. Not even thinking it about leon where there has been fruitiness sometimes. Tbh it's more about where you see the quite wild-eyed stuff said about him. I think he's testified about it. He gets a lot. There, you have racism rearing its head, no question. What you also get is the slightly brighter and cagey type of racist who keeps a grip on what they say and stays carefully deniable. You know the type.
    Ah yes. The people you "just know" are racist, but haven't actually done anything racist.

Bit like the witches. If I wasn't out, 24/7, burning them...
    LOL this is the bad old kini.

As I noted several months ago in a post when he was flinging around accusations of racism (amended for his posts today):

"What you have to remember is that because @kinabalu for some unknown reason is very insecure he is invested in belittling views of nationality and what it means to be British and how one should react to people who are not white working class.

He does this because as a white working class lad made good (very good) and now moved away from his roots, he is confused about what he is supposed to think about these things. He feels he should condemn anyone who even mentions nationality or religion but has no views himself on them. He literally has no idea how to approach the idea of criticising someone who is not an "easy" target (ie WWC).

And hence when he bumps into people, like @Leon for example, someone he believes he is far more successful and intelligent than, but someone who is far more confident in their own opinions on such to him delicate and taboo subjects, he has literally no answer."

Holds as true today as it always has done.
    Nice couch you have, Topping. Trouble is, I almost nodded off.

Same time next week?
    Damn unsolicited diagnoses! He’ll be devising a scoring system to rank people next
    Ah, I sense a reference to my simple yet rather sophisticated 'Class Indicator' test that you, almost alone on here, refused to take. And I could never understand why. Still, no point revisiting. The past is another country.
    Doing those kind of tests then broadcasting the results is a kind of needy vanity that I’d like to avoid. Not that I always do I suppose
    No clue why you're seeing it this way. 'Class' comes up a lot on here and I designed something neat to clarify and assist the discussions. Nothing untoward about it at all. As you'd know if you hadn't refused to co-operate.
    I want the Class test! Fire at will soldier.
    No need to test you. The result is in.
    I've made it pretty clear that I'm a DE.

Is that what the test says?
    Yep, a 4 having rounded up. One of the clearer cut ones.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,018
    JBriskin3 said:

I'm a male but I'm with the TERFs on this one.

My solution would be 100pc unisex toilets - I'm always suspious that females have an easier time sniffing blow in the pub toilets.

Equality For All.

There's a surprise
  • Options
    . . . meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

Politico.com - Sunu-no: Top GOP recruit won't run for Senate
    New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu said Tuesday he will seek reelection, denying Republicans their top recruit of the 2022 election cycle.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,018
    IshmaelZ said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I'm in Aberdeen at the moment and came across someone who went to school with a prominent member of the cabinet. He expressed surprise (and I quote) "that it was so little known he was a back passage storm trooper"

I was just taken by the expression which I haven't heard before. It would be tasteless to name names.
    quite so. Could be any of the Aberdonians in the Cabinet.
    Sheep out of favour in Aberdeen nowadays then
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimS said:

Selebian said:

TimT said:

Selebian said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you know what I think has been the biggest change in politics in recent years? The fact that the left have become so much more censorious and authoritarian than they used to be. 20 or 30 years ago they were significantly less so than people from other parties; now they're probably more so. For instance, when you hear someone calling for a long prison sentence these days, they're almost as likely to be from the left as the right.

I think this is right, up to a point. I think that if you look at opinion surveys you will still find that people on the left are more libertarian than those on the right. But I think you are right that there has been a rise in authoritarianism on the left. It's probably exaggerated by e.g. Twitter.
    I think in part it is a generational thing, where millenials tend to be quite authoritarian, maybe because they have grown up in a more permissive environment and so haven't had to push back against people telling them what they can and can't do. Incidentally I suspect that millenials will become very right wing like baby boomers have as they age, while gen x will remain instinctively liberal but apathetic. Millenials have the same "it's all about me" attitude as the baby boomers. And they will be able to afford a house eventually.
    You're either self-damning or older than I thought - I'm a millenial and I'm almost 40. The youngest millenials are ~25. Do you really think that group is authoritarian? Gen Z maybe (kids today...) :wink:

(I'd always assumed I was Gen X until someone on here posted the definitions)
    I'd always assume I was post-boomer. But apparently I am not.
    Do you still like to think "Gen X will continue to be a beacon of post-modern cynicism, pragmatic centrism and a bastion of gentle apathy"? Or slightly more boomer-sympathetic now? :wink:

I've had a lot more time for millenials since I discovered I was one!
    There's TimT, and there's TimS. TimS is a late GenXer in his mid 40s living in SE London (but not the same person as OnlyLivingBoy) who considers GenX are beacons of post-modern cynicism. TimT appears to be an early GenXer or late boomer.

Fun fact: the name Tim fell off a cliff of popularity in the mid 90s, coinciding with the prominence of Harry Enfield's Tim Nice but Dim character.
    My screen name here used to be "Timothy (likes zebras)".

For as long as I could remember I'd always gone as "Tim", but when I was 23 my mother made a point of telling me that she'd chosen the name Timothy for me and not Tim. I've been trying out Timothy instead, but people will always ask if they can call me Tim, and I don't really care.
    My family only call me Timothy when they are annoyed with me. And Martin Timothy when they are really, really annoyed.
    Actually my Dad only ever users Timothy when he is annoyed at me. My theory is that a three-syllable name is ideal for expressing annoyance as you can build up to a higher pitch of emphasis for the final syllable.

I didn't realise this until after I chose a two-syllable name for my daughter though.
    Our daughter's name is monosyllabic. Most unsatisfactory ...
    Mon for short?
    She's not Scottish, you know!
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I'm in Aberdeen at the moment and came across someone who went to school with a prominent member of the cabinet. He expressed surprise (and I quote) "that it was so little known he was a back passage storm trooper"

I was just taken by the expression which I haven't heard before. It would be tasteless to name names.
    We're just Sheepshagging Bastards :smile: #StandFree
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Aimless anecdote:

We went into Salisbury shopping today. It was... surprsingly... busy!

Lots of shoppers and full cafes, especially those with street seating.

60-70% mask wearing in shops I'd say.

Salisbury has had a wretched few years and it is a much underrated place, so it was good to see it looking so lively today.

Report ends.

I understand the Cathedral is popular with Russian Tourists'.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:
    But with theirs on the way up and ours on the way down.

Thank goodness we resisted the siren call to use masks and other NPIs etc during the summer and autumn.
    Theirs have been rising and ours have been falling is fairer. If you want to make predictions about where case numbers are going, that's your business. I won't follow you there.
    All you need to remember is that the high number of Covid cases and deaths in the UK is completely immaterial; it's the end of lockdown that counts. But in countries other than the UK, high numbers of cases and deaths are a sign of doom and massive governmental incompetence. That's right, isn't it?
    Re: other countries, high numbers of cases and deaths may be an indication of bad decision-making if accompanied by more draconian measures than us. Worst of both worlds sort of thing.
    In terms of Denmark v the UK, here's the stringency index over time, that shows that most of the time, the UK has had more stringent restrictions than Denmark: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=chart&country=GBR~DNK
    The UK has no legal restrictions currently so why are they rating the UK as a 41.2 at the moment?

Though I see its based upon the 'strictest sub-region' so that would include any restrictions by Holyrood etc as "UK".
    I was wrong to use the word restrictions. It's wider than just prohibitions.
    Additional: I've been digging into the data a little and it's troubling. The current value for face coverings in England is listed as "2". In Scotland it's "3". The levels are:
    0- No policy
    1- Recommended
    2- Required in some specified shared/public spaces outside the home with other people present, or some situations when social distancing not possible
    3- Required in all shared/public spaces outside the home with other people present or all situations when social distancing not possible

This seems wrong, to me. As I understand it, the mask level should be at most "1" for England.

I withdraw any point I have made about the stringency index until and unless I find out that this is my mistake and not theirs.
    Face masks are required on public transport in England so that would fit with being a 2.

I opened your document but couldn't work out where to go for the "executive summary".

Seems a lot in there.
    Is that right?
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own
    From 19 July 2021, there is no longer a legal requirement to wear face coverings in indoor settings or on public transport.

As for the link I sent before... I don't know what to say. There's plenty of stuff in there including a paper exploring the methodology and links to the data in a github repo. I'm sorry it's not in a more digestible format for you but sometimes it's worth digging a little deeper, as I've just been reminded by checking the face coverings score.
    Tfl DOES require masks

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/face-coverings

However I wonder what is the legal basis for this. It's notable they don't mention fines, so maybe this is a bit of a charade, and they actually don't have the power to enforce this?

The best characterisation of mask policy in England is "1 - Recommended"
    They could do it via Conditions of Travel.

That's (or was) the approach for banning photography.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

You can only be referncing Gove
    The school doesn't have to be Aberdeen. Quite a lot of people in Aberdeen were educated elsewhere (labour mobility, or being sent to boarding school).
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Without wishing to sound "woke", I am always slightly amused at the attempts at witty derogatory terminology for gay people by the rabidly homophobic. It merely highlights their own very vanilla, dull sex lives.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Not many sheep in Westminster or Whitehall, though I expect there are some in the children's part of London Zoo.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

The school doesn't have to be Aberdeen. Quite a lot of people in Aberdeen were educated elsewhere (labour mobility, or being sent to boarding school).
    The only other prominent Aberdonian politician is Theresa (unfortnately I can't remember the surname)

RIP Theresa
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Hang on, Aberdeen is in Wales? I didn't realise that until today.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

The only other prominent Aberdonian politician is Theresa (unfortnately I can't remember the surname)

RIP Theresa
    You're not getting my point - which is that the minister could have been living and/or educated somewhere completely different from Aberdeen.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

You just happened to.meet this person and he decided to tell you this unprompted.. ? Liklihood of this 0%

I am staying with a relative in Aberdeen who had some friends over. It's quite common I think you'll find!
    I'll meet you for a pint in The White Cockade if you want.
    Is that in Aberdeen? I don't know the place too well. I'm in Forest Drive. We went to Trump's golf course this morning.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Hang on, Aberdeen is in Wales? I didn't realise that until today.
    There's rather more sheep country in the Isles of Britain and Ireland than there is urban territory.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

RIP Theresa
    You're not getting my point - which is that the minister could have been living and/or educated somewhere completely different from Aberdeen.
    Yeah I was hoping someone could give me the surname-

It just came to me! Tessa Jowell
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Does he think Macron should be prosecuted?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/09/covid-vaccines-pfizer-ceo-says-people-who-spread-misinformation-on-shots-are-criminals.html

Pfizer CEO says people who spread misinformation on Covid vaccines are ‘criminals’

He's a French President, prosecution is pretty much mandatory.
    But not until he loses an Election.

That's how Chirac dodged it for (presumably) 14 years.

Euro Twitter is still arguing that jail sentences for 2 from 3 shows that UK is more corrupt because we haven't locked up any PMs.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

RIP Theresa

Tessa Jowell was gay?
    Bloody hell, she kept that quiet.
  • Options
    Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

You just happened to.meet this person and he decided to tell you this unprompted.. ? Liklihood of this 0%

I am staying with a relative in Aberdeen who had some friends over. It's quite common I think you'll find!
    Is that in Aberdeen? I don't know the place too well. I'm in Forest Drive. We went to Trump's golf course this morning.
    I'm in the suburbs (kinda) - can you make it to a West End bar high roller?
  • Options
    Catching up on the Cambridge Union ("Defending Free Debate") mess, banning someone for performing Hitler setting up his Arian art exhibition as evidence of the existence of bad taste, who has now been banned for life (if it sticks) for being 'offensive'.

When did Cambridge Uni last put The Producers on?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    MattW said:

Catching up on the Cambridge Union ("Defending Free Debate") mess, banning someone for performing Hitler setting up his Arian art exhibition as evidence of the existence of bad taste, who has now been banned for life (if it sticks) for being 'offensive'.

Cambridge Union Society is not part of the University.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

RIP Theresa

Tessa Jowell was gay?
    No but she went to private school in Aberdeen in the same way Gove did.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Of course Roger if you say so.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

But when was it last put on in the Uni environment; I'm just interested how the twit-demographic would (or did) react.
  • Options
    Where I feel sorry for Michael Gove and others is that they have to be put in this situation in the first place. I know what its like in the closet, there is fear and shame and confusion. Add in being in the public spotlight and it must be hell.

Society still needs to evolve more so that people can be who they want to be without grief.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Or even the actual student union.

Also, I think the whole point about the exhibition about 'entartete Kunst' was that it was most certainly not Aryan art, at least as Hitler and his ilk saw it.

Edit: could have been a separate exhibition on Aryan art. Bit confused by the BBC report.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Roger said:

Roger said:

Without wishing to sound "woke", I am always slightly amused at the attempts at witty derogatory terminology for gay people by the rabidly homophobic. It merely highlights their own very vanilla, dull sex lives.
    I doubt for most that male to male sex is an addition to a vanilla sex life as you put it. You should remember that people who do not approve of it are not necessarily homophobic. Its a side of life that just passes us by. Each to their own but no thank you.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I only arrived last night so It wouldn't be polite to eat and then go out. But if she fancies it and message here later.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Or even the actual student union.

Also, I think the whole point about the exhibition about 'entartete Kunst' was that it was most certainly not Aryan art, at least as Hitler and his ilk saw it.

Edit: could have been a separate exhibition on Aryan art. Bit confused by the BBC report.
    Yes - it was acceptable-to-him-and-his-ilk art iirc.

I think you are talking about the Exhibition of Degenerate Art.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

But when was it last put on in the Uni environment; I'm just interested how the twit-demographic would (or did) react.
    On my one and only brief encounter with the Aberdonian I did think: hmm, maybe gay

But FWIW an old friend of mine knows him well and says Definitely not

DYOR, IANAL
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

It is an odd story. Why is a 61-year old mediocrity even attending a student debate?

And even if a 61-year old mediocrity really has nothing better to do of an evening, why does he travel from his home in Sussex to go to the Cambridge Union to do a Hitler impersonation?

Deep questions, no?
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

I doubt for most that male to male sex is an addition to a vanilla sex life as you put it. You should remember that people who do not approve of it are not necessarily homophobic. Its a side of life that just passes us by. Each to their own but no thank you.
    This is exactly my view about voting Conservative.
  • Options

Where I feel sorry for Michael Gove and others is that they have to be put in this situation in the first place. I know what its like in the closet, there is fear and shame and confusion. Add in being in the public spotlight and it must be hell.

Society still needs to evolve more so that people can be who they want to be without grief.

What is Gove?
    Oh, Brady don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me
    No more
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I only arrived last night so It wouldn't be polite to eat and then go out. But if she fancies it and message here later.
    Are you saying that you might be up for a west end bar Tonight? I've never met a PBer before (as far as I'm aware)...
  • Options
    We have not finished with the epidemic. The 5th wave has begun in Europe.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

On my one and only brief encounter with the Aberdonian I did think: hmm, maybe gay

DYOR, IANAL
    IANAL or HeANAL?
  • Options
    Leon said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

DYOR, IANAL
    Andrew Graham-Dixon was Aberdonian by birth or education? Wiki says not. So you must mean A. Hitler.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647

Roger said:

Roger said:

You don't approve of it but you are not homophobic?
  • Options

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

It is an odd story. Why is a 61-year old mediocrity even attending a student debate?

And even if a 61-year old mediocrity really has nothing better to do of an evening, why does he travel from his home in Sussex to go to the Cambridge Union to do a Hitler impersonation?

Deep questions, no?
    I speak as one and yet I cannot answer.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

RIP Theresa

Tessa Jowell was gay?
    Perhaps stretching the concept of prominent politician but Anneliese Dodds went to the same school as the alleged back passage storm trooper.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    The iPhone is a cruel thing. It’s just told me that on this exact day, 2 years ago, I was in Ushuaia, Argentina. 3 years ago, same day, I was in soi 4, Sukhumvit, Bangkok. Four years ago: the bat infested mountains of Yunnan. Southern China

It is like I am forced to listen to an exultant boastful version of myself (yes yes, maybe the only version) as I gloat about how much better my life is, as compared to my life
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

Deep questions, no?
    Outside the Cambridge Union was where @YBarddCwsc once flour-bombed Norman Tebbit.

It may be that Andrew Graham-Dixon went to pay quiet homage.

I was wrong, of course.

A waste of good flour.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329

Roger said:

Roger said:

Yep it’s pathetic. Some people just need to grow up a bit and accept people as they are.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

You can say no thank you without judging those who do enjoy it, though.
    Sometimes no thank-you isnt enough. Have you ever been propositioned?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kjh said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I expect he objects to the hijacking of the innocent and useful word "gay" from his vocabulary.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

RIP Theresa

Tessa Jowell was gay?
    Perhaps stretching the concept of prominent politician but Anneliese Dodds went to the same school as the alleged back passage storm trooper.
    Robert Gordon's? - Well that increases my exhaustive list of famous Aberdonians-

Anne Lennox
    The Shamen
    Michael Gove
    Tessa Jowell
    Annelise Dodds (?)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

The iPhone is a cruel thing. It’s just told me that on this exact day, 2 years ago, I was in Ushuaia, Argentina. 3 years ago, same day, I was in soi 4, Sukhumvit, Bangkok. Four years ago: the bat infested mountains of Yunnan. Southern China

It is like I am forced to listen to an exultant boastful version of myself …

That must be unbearable.
    Sympathy.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    edited November 2021
    kjh said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I remember a comedic piece years back which suggested homophobia was at times not a helpful term, as phobias are usually about a deep aversion to things, and there might be people who have a phobia about same sex acts, or some religious belief that it is inappropriate, or someone covering for their own urges etc. I'm not sure what other terminology would really be useful though, in practice. Motivation for the discrimination or mistreatment probably doesn't matter to the victim.

I don't really remember the details other than the concluding joke, which was about how the person making derogatory comments about gay people might be fighting their own suppressed desires and worthy of our sympathy, or they might just be a total dick.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

Deep questions, no?
    Invited Art Historian speaker for a "Good Old Days" type debate with the audience in period costume, and a motion about Bad Taste?

He's also an Oxford Man, it seems. And has some profile - BBC programmes etc.

Isn't the news coverage just another potboiler in the culture wars?
  • Options

We have not finished with the epidemic. The 5th wave has begun in Europe.

Macron btw..

My first message is an appeal to the 6 million of you who are not yet vaccinated: vaccinate yourself. To be able to live normally. To be free in a nation like France implies to be responsible and to show solidarity. I am counting on you.
    The booster campaign must be accelerated. From December 15, it will take the over 65s this reminder for the health pass to be valid.

We had relaxed our efforts, we must resume them. The vaccine is not enough. In this context of recovery, we must redouble our vigilance. All flexibilities will be postponed to keep the rules in force. We are currently conducting an essential reform of unemployment insurance: it will be necessary to have worked at least six months in the last two years to be able to be compensated."
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

This is exactly my view about voting Conservative.
    I thought that was regarded more like a disease - disproportionately more likely among the old and vulnerable, and once you succumb to it its effects can linger for a long time.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

RIP Theresa

Tessa Jowell was gay?
    Robert Gordon's? - Well that increases my exhaustive list of famous Aberdonians-

Anne Lennox
    The Shamen
    Michael Gove
    Tessa Jowell
    Annelise Dodds (?)
    Oops I missed Lord Byron.

Whatever happened to @Byronic ?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

You started the no thank you stuff.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It is like I am forced to listen to an exultant boastful version of myself (yes yes, maybe the only version) as I gloat about how much better my life is, as compared to my life

Why not pop across to the Edinburgh Castle? See what's happening in there.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I have once. I was rather flattered. I suggested my wife and children might not approve. He seemed like a nice chap.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

Deep questions, no?
    Invited Art Historian speaker for a "Good Old Days" type debate with the audience in period costume, and a motion about Bad Taste?

And he went !!

For a "Good Old Days" type debate with the audience in period costume

You mean, an audience of pimply Cambridge undergraduates in period costume.

What sane person would inflict that spectacle upon themselves?

I would rather be in a dark Aberdonian nightclub, roofied out of my mind, and dancing with a senior member of the cabinet.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't think anybody reckons you're the only version.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

Deep questions, no?
    Outside the Cambridge Union was where @YBarddCwsc once flour-bombed Norman Tebbit.

It may be that Andrew Graham-Dixon went to pay quiet homage.

I was wrong, of course.

A waste of good flour.
    Forget the punting and the may ball, that sounds like a genuine highlight.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Thank goodness we resisted the siren call to use masks and other NPIs etc during the summer and autumn.
    Theirs have been rising and ours have been falling is fairer. If you want to make predictions about where case numbers are going, that's your business. I won't follow you there.
    All you need to remember is that the high number of Covid cases and deaths in the UK is completely immaterial; it's the end of lockdown that counts. But in countries other than the UK, high numbers of cases and deaths are a sign of doom and massive governmental incompetence. That's right, isn't it?
    Re: other countries, high numbers of cases and deaths may be an indication of bad decision-making if accompanied by more draconian measures than us. Worst of both worlds sort of thing.
    In terms of Denmark v the UK, here's the stringency index over time, that shows that most of the time, the UK has had more stringent restrictions than Denmark: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=chart&country=GBR~DNK
    The UK has no legal restrictions currently so why are they rating the UK as a 41.2 at the moment?

Though I see its based upon the 'strictest sub-region' so that would include any restrictions by Holyrood etc as "UK".
    Additional: I've been digging into the data a little and it's troubling. The current value for face coverings in England is listed as "2". In Scotland it's "3". The levels are:
    0- No policy
    1- Recommended
    2- Required in some specified shared/public spaces outside the home with other people present, or some situations when social distancing not possible
    3- Required in all shared/public spaces outside the home with other people present or all situations when social distancing not possible

This seems wrong, to me. As I understand it, the mask level should be at most "1" for England.

I withdraw any point I have made about the stringency index until and unless I find out that this is my mistake and not theirs.
    Face masks are required on public transport in England so that would fit with being a 2.

I opened your document but couldn't work out where to go for the "executive summary".

Seems a lot in there.
    No they're not.

Face masks are not legally required in public transport in England. TFL don't make the law.

I believe they are legally required in care homes and some other healthcare settings though.
    They should be compulsory on the tube and enforced by the law rather than tfl's ire (no fault of theirs)
    Why?

No they shouldn't. Just because TFL have overreached doesn't mean it should be the law.
    Why? - The tube is a special case of ridiculously close contact in an unventilated space.
    So what?

If people choose to wear a mask then, that's their choice. If they don't, ditto. That's the law as it is and as it should be.

The guidance to wear masks should be dropped.
    It's one of the most likely places for infection. It's an easy line to draw too. Until the spring we should wear masks where we can and where it's sensible. It's really not so tough.
    It really is.

Stopping infection isn't something we should be doing with NPIs. That's last year's policy.

We have PIs now. Its time to live with the fact that infections happen, not try to prevent them.
    Good god. Work with what I've said rather than what you want to think I've said.
    Did you say that they should be mandated by law to prevent infections?

The law shouldn't be seeking to prevent infections in the community. People should be getting vaccinated.
    Yes I agree. However where there are obvious infection hotspots they should be enforced.

I imagine the tube could be higher than nighclubs in the potential risk. Nightclubs are open or they're not, and nothing at all you can do. With the tube there's everything you can do to reduce unfection.
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

Well - has it ever been put on by a university student group?

The ADC is Cambridge probably puts on - what - two dozen plays a year. But most of them will contain three or four actors and will have minimal sets and production value. (This is student theatre.)

Big musicals just aren't that common in a student theatre environment. I'm pretty sure there's never been a production of Cats at the ADC, but that's not because of the political content of the work, it's because it's a bit big an undertaking.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714

I am a late Gen Xer, but definitely Gen X.

Our formative experiences stretch roughly from Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”, through to “The Simpsons”, to dial-up Internet, 9/11 and the Iraq War.

Same with me. Never watched the Simpsons though.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    kjh said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I have once. I was rather flattered. I suggested my wife and children might not approve. He seemed like a nice chap.
    A guy I spent a fair bit of time with as a post doc at Leeds came out, and described his type as basically me. Turned out I’d been out on several dates without realising... Really nice guy, no idea where he is now.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

Deep questions, no?

And he went !!

I would rather be in a dark Aberdonian nightclub, roofied out of my mind, and dancing with a senior member of the cabinet.
    That's very interesting. If you were an undergraduate prior to 1984 you have no business aping da yoof by going on about being "roofied;" if later, your flour-bombing of Tebbit has to be construed as an immensely witty and tasteful allusion to events in Brighton.
  • Options
    @Anna_Mazz
    The first recorded use of ABRACADABRA. In a malaria cure. It’s in the bottom triangle and is reduced by a letter at a time, thus killing off the disease. Foolproof.
    https://twitter.com/Anna_Mazz/status/1458153852453146626

• Options
    kle4 said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I remember a comedic piece years back which suggested homophobia was at times not a helpful term, as phobias are usually about a deep aversion to things, and there might be people who have a phobia about same sex acts, or some religious belief that it is inappropriate, or someone covering for their own urges etc. I'm not sure what other terminology would really be useful though, in practice. Motivation for the discrimination or mistreatment probably doesn't matter to the victim.

I don't really remember the details other than the concluding joke, which was about how the person making derogatory comments about gay people might be fighting their own suppressed desires and worthy of our sympathy, or they might just be a total dick.
    The irony is that Gove's predecessor Nick Hawkins was deselected when he left his wife for a Conservative councillor (female). There was more to the deselected than that. Conservative councillors were approached for their opinions by the press. Most gave very sensible replies, but one commented 'well at least he didn't leave his wife for a man'. Presumably that councillor will be somewhat peeved now.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

Deep questions, no?

And he went !!

That's very interesting. If you were an undergraduate prior to 1984 you have no business aping da yoof by going on about being "roofied;" if later, your flour-bombing of Tebbit has to be construed as an immensely witty and tasteful allusion to events in Brighton.
    I can use roofied. Anyone can use roofied.

Do you police the language?
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

RIP Theresa

Tessa Jowell was gay?

Anne Lennox
    The Shamen
    Michael Gove
    Tessa Jowell
    Annelise Dodds (?)

My house was Byron at AGS.
    PE in the pool under Mr C*nto F*****er was akin to swimming the Hellespont.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    edited November 2021

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Yes, twice. I said no thank you, I'm not gay.

By contrast, my wife has been propositioned by unsavoury heterosexual men on hundreds of occasions, starting when she was about 13 years old.
  • Options

kjh said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

A guy I spent a fair bit of time with as a post doc at Leeds came out, and described his type as basically me. Turned out I’d been out on several dates without realising... Really nice guy, no idea where he is now.
    I liked, but had to comment as that had me rolling around laughing.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

0- No policy
    1- Recommended

Seems a lot in there.
    No they're not.

Face masks are not legally required in public transport in England. TFL don't make the law.

I believe they are legally required in care homes and some other healthcare settings though.
    They should be compulsory on the tube and enforced by the law rather than tfl's ire (no fault of theirs)
    Why?

No they shouldn't. Just because TFL have overreached doesn't mean it should be the law.
    Why? - The tube is a special case of ridiculously close contact in an unventilated space.
    So what?

If people choose to wear a mask then, that's their choice. If they don't, ditto. That's the law as it is and as it should be.

The guidance to wear masks should be dropped.
    It's one of the most likely places for infection. It's an easy line to draw too. Until the spring we should wear masks where we can and where it's sensible. It's really not so tough.
    It really is.

Stopping infection isn't something we should be doing with NPIs. That's last year's policy.

We have PIs now. Its time to live with the fact that infections happen, not try to prevent them.
    Good god. Work with what I've said rather than what you want to think I've said.
    Did you say that they should be mandated by law to prevent infections?

The law shouldn't be seeking to prevent infections in the community. People should be getting vaccinated.
    Yes I agree. However where there are obvious infection hotspots they should be enforced.

I imagine the tube could be higher than nighclubs in the potential risk. Nightclubs are open or they're not, and nothing at all you can do. With the tube there's everything you can do to reduce unfection.
    Why should it be enforced by law? For what reason?

It people don't want to take chances they can avoid risky areas. That's their choice. But we shouldn't have the state making our choices for us.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

RIP Theresa

Tessa Jowell was gay?

Anne Lennox
    The Shamen
    Michael Gove
    Tessa Jowell
    Annelise Dodds (?)

My dad went to Grammar (ironically not an actual Grammar, non-Aberdonians)

More importantly-

Is Roger really in Aberdeen?

Should I meet him for a pint?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    There's an extraordinarily overwrought piece in the Atlantic about a journalist's experience of testing positive for covid. It's written as if he had a near death experience but then says he's "probably been sicker 15 times as an adult".

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/the-worlds-only-normal-until-you-test-positive/620653/
  • Options
    kjh said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

He wants to outlaw Banal Sex :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

The ADC is Cambridge probably puts on - what - two dozen plays a year. But most of them will contain three or four actors and will have minimal sets and production value. (This is student theatre.)

Big musicals just aren't that common in a student theatre environment. I'm pretty sure there's never been a production of Cats at the ADC, but that's not because of the political content of the work, it's because it's a bit big an undertaking.
    Seems that Eton did it :smile:
    https://www.etoncollege.com/news-and-diary/school-news/broadway-comes-to-eton/
  • Options

@Anna_Mazz
    The first recorded use of ABRACADABRA. In a malaria cure. It’s in the bottom triangle and is reduced by a letter at a time, thus killing off the disease. Foolproof.

It doesn't seem to be just a stripping away of a letter every time though. A syllable every time? To my eye there's a step which doesn't have a missing syllable, but that'd be consistent with my just not knowing.

There must be meaning in these wors though, otherwise why bother.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

By contrast, my wife has been propositioned by unsavoury heterosexual men on hundreds of occasions, starting when she was about 13 years old.
    How many time has she been propositioned by savoury heterosexual men, of the kind you might find on this site?
  • Options
    This sexuality debate is confusing me a bit now.

So, to prove my gayness, I have to fuck Paris Lees up the ass??
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Which is exactly why any man who chooses to do so should be allowed to put a skirt on and nip into the ladies.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

There's an extraordinarily overwrought piece in the Atlantic about a journalist's experience of testing positive for covid. It's written as if he had a near death experience but then says he's "probably been sicker 15 times as an adult".

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/the-worlds-only-normal-until-you-test-positive/620653/

That is insanely overwrought.

TL;DR; person gets not very sick with Covid but treats it like having the plague. Oh yes, and he has a nonbinary eight year old.
  • Options

Someone has not embraced the new reality of endemic Covid. I note they are in the US, so that is different.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

@Anna_Mazz

It doesn't seem to be just a stripping away of a letter every time though. A syllable every time? To my eye there's a step which doesn't have a missing syllable, but that'd be consistent with my just not knowing.

I think the last word above the abracadabra triangle is depellendo, which is the gerund of depellere, to expel; so 'to be expelled', but I can't work out the word before it.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

This seems like the wrong conclusion.

What's this 'proving gayness' thing?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Leon said:

I’m trying to remember anything interesting about Soi 4, Sukhumvit.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

RIP Theresa

Tessa Jowell was gay?

Anne Lennox
    The Shamen
    Michael Gove
    Tessa Jowell
    Annelise Dodds (?)

My dad went to Grammar (ironically not an actual Grammar, non-Aberdonians)

More importantly-

Is Roger really in Aberdeen?

Should I meet him for a pint?
    He definitely has connections in the North East. I'm sure he'd be charming company, but perhaps not the White Cockade..
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

I know.

Seems that Eton did it :smile:
    https://www.etoncollege.com/news-and-diary/school-news/broadway-comes-to-eton/
    Big school productions are much more common that big University ones, no? They fit the "everyone gets a role" that you need at school. While at University, the number of people who want tiny supporting roles in student productions is going to be limited.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

An utterly disgusting post. Up the ARSE, please.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Please, we have standards on PB.

It’s arse.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

A video of you masturbating to gay porn will suffice.

Edit to add: we will also need to see videos of you not being aroused by heterosexual porn.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

An utterly disgusting post. Up the ARSE, please.
    My ELBOW is better :lol:
  • Options

Omnium said:

@Anna_Mazz

I think the last word above the abracadabra triangle is depellendo, which is the gerund of depellere, to expel; so 'to be expelled', but I can't work out the word before it.
    Ah so maybe a 'spell'.

Should you find out more do let me know.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Paris Lees is a woman!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    edited November 2021
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

How many time has she been propositioned by savoury heterosexual men, of the kind you might find on this site?
    Quite a few, but not sure that there are that many on this site (apart from me, of course). It's a bit of a lads banter club on here, and she's not keen on laddish blokes.

But I was trying to make a serious point that predatory gay men are hugely insignificant when compared to predatory heterosexual men, who ensure that attractive women face a considerable, even daily, amount of unwanted attention.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

This seems like the wrong conclusion.

What's this 'proving gayness' thing?
    I thought the way the debate was leening was that all women (??) had to take it up the ass to prove they're not homophobic.

PS-

I'm a man and don't fancy black women ;)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869

Why should it be enforced by law? For what reason?

It people don't want to take chances they can avoid risky areas. That's their choice. But we shouldn't have the state making our choices for us.

I'm all for personal responsibility but unfortunately we all too often have personal irresponsibility. Individuals who are clearly sick or unwell travelling round and infecting other people.

Why is this? Are they callous uncaring individuals? Possibly or could it be they have the kind of employment where if they don't work they don't get paid and they can't afford to miss a day's pay as they have children to feed or rent to pay?

Perhaps they have the kind of employment where if they don't report for work it's not a question of not being paid - it's a question of being sacked.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Paris Lees is a woman!
    I can't find her on Redtube. Does anyone have a link?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Paris Lees is a woman!
    I can't find her on Redtube. Does anyone have a link?
    Xtube, on the other hand, was recently shut down :(
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Anyone heard from @Casino_Royale? Not seen him lately.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

@Anna_Mazz

Manuscript writing could be pretty boring.
This discussion has been closed.