Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Neither Johnson nor his deputy Raab come out of this well – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Moving on from simplistic solutions to complex problems:

Evening all :)

The good news is Mrs Stodge and I have booked our booster vaccinations. Have to say the NHS website perfectly good and easy to use. That's the good news.

The bad news is we can't get our booster vaccination in East Ham - the options are Manor Park or Barking. That's not a problem for us but it will be a problem for others in my area. Perhaps one of the issues with low take-up in some areas is the paucity of places where vaccinations can be administered.

When the mass vaccination programme was under way, we went to Excel (the exhibition centre, not the spreadsheet) and there was a walk-in at Newham Town Hall. For the boosters, the options seem much more limited and concentrated on pharmacies. At a time when we should be getting as many people as possible t get their third vaccination, it seems curious we are limiting the opportunities to get those vaccinations.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,279
    edited November 2021
    My granddaughter is home for a couple of days from University and has gone to the cinema tonight in Llandudno.

The family have just received a text from the cinema to say that from 15th November vaccine passports will be required

I noticed there was a very angry crowd of business owners and others outside the Senedd tonight demonstrating about the imposition of this scheme as many will not only lose business but also to across the border in England

Just as covid is showing signs of moving to an endemic this Welsh Government under Corbynista Drakeford has caused anger and chaos in the entertainment community and with Christmas just 6 weeks away
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:
    But with theirs on the way up and ours on the way down.

Thank goodness we resisted the siren call to use masks and other NPIs etc during the summer and autumn.
    Theirs have been rising and ours have been falling is fairer. If you want to make predictions about where case numbers are going, that's your business. I won't follow you there.
    All you need to remember is that the high number of Covid cases and deaths in the UK is completely immaterial; it's the end of lockdown that counts. But in countries other than the UK, high numbers of cases and deaths are a sign of doom and massive governmental incompetence. That's right, isn't it?
    Re: other countries, high numbers of cases and deaths may be an indication of bad decision-making if accompanied by more draconian measures than us. Worst of both worlds sort of thing.
    In terms of Denmark v the UK, here's the stringency index over time, that shows that most of the time, the UK has had more stringent restrictions than Denmark: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=chart&country=GBR~DNK
    The UK has no legal restrictions currently so why are they rating the UK as a 41.2 at the moment?

Though I see its based upon the 'strictest sub-region' so that would include any restrictions by Holyrood etc as "UK".
    I was wrong to use the word restrictions. It's wider than just prohibitions.
    Additional: I've been digging into the data a little and it's troubling. The current value for face coverings in England is listed as "2". In Scotland it's "3". The levels are:
    0- No policy
    1- Recommended
    2- Required in some specified shared/public spaces outside the home with other people present, or some situations when social distancing not possible
    3- Required in all shared/public spaces outside the home with other people present or all situations when social distancing not possible

This seems wrong, to me. As I understand it, the mask level should be at most "1" for England.

I withdraw any point I have made about the stringency index until and unless I find out that this is my mistake and not theirs.
    Face masks are required on public transport in England so that would fit with being a 2.

I opened your document but couldn't work out where to go for the "executive summary".

Seems a lot in there.
    No they're not.

Face masks are not legally required in public transport in England. TFL don't make the law.

I believe they are legally required in care homes and some other healthcare settings though.
    They should be compulsory on the tube and enforced by the law rather than tfl's ire (no fault of theirs)
    Why?

No they shouldn't. Just because TFL have overreached doesn't mean it should be the law.
    Why? - The tube is a special case of ridiculously close contact in an unventilated space.
    So what?

If people choose to wear a mask then, that's their choice. If they don't, ditto. That's the law as it is and as it should be.

The guidance to wear masks should be dropped.
    It's one of the most likely places for infection. It's an easy line to draw too. Until the spring we should wear masks where we can and where it's sensible. It's really not so tough.
    It really is.

Stopping infection isn't something we should be doing with NPIs. That's last year's policy.

We have PIs now. Its time to live with the fact that infections happen, not try to prevent them.
    Good god. Work with what I've said rather than what you want to think I've said.
    Did you say that they should be mandated by law to prevent infections?

The law shouldn't be seeking to prevent infections in the community. People should be getting vaccinated.
    Yes I agree. However where there are obvious infection hotspots they should be enforced.

I imagine the tube could be higher than nighclubs in the potential risk. Nightclubs are open or they're not, and nothing at all you can do. With the tube there's everything you can do to reduce unfection.
    I went to Stratford and then Epping today on the Central Line, I wore a mask. Stopped really caring if other passengers wear them though. Luckily it was lunch time, so there were hardly any people around.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

This sexuality debate is confusing me a bit now.

So, to prove my gayness, I have to fuck Paris Lees up the ass??

This seems like the wrong conclusion.

What's this 'proving gayness' thing?
    I thought the way the debate was leening was that all women (??) had to take it up the ass to prove they're not homophobic.

PS-

I'm a man and don't fancy black women ;)
    I'd not read too much into the "debate" if that's the case. I'm pretty sure you can work out your place in the world to suit you. And if you're fine with it then so am I.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,960
    Quite chastening to see homophobia alive and well on PB, in the shape of @squareroot2 . Don’t think we have had a open homophobe on here since the dark days of HD2. That bigoted Justin chap probably comes the closest, with his retrograde views on premarital sex.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Omnium said:

@Anna_Mazz
    The first recorded use of ABRACADABRA. In a malaria cure. It’s in the bottom triangle and is reduced by a letter at a time, thus killing off the disease. Foolproof.
    https://twitter.com/Anna_Mazz/status/1458153852453146626

It doesn't seem to be just a stripping away of a letter every time though. A syllable every time? To my eye there's a step which doesn't have a missing syllable, but that'd be consistent with my just not knowing.

There must be meaning in these wors though, otherwise why bother.
    I think the last word above the abracadabra triangle is depellendo, which is the gerund of depellere, to expel; so 'to be expelled', but I can't work out the word before it.
    If you go up two lines, I think the poem says the fever depelli carmine posse, can be driven out by a song (i.e. the abracabra chant). The words above the triangle are a sort of chapter heading - first word is De, can't read the second one either.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I'm in Aberdeen at the moment and came across someone who went to school with a prominent member of the cabinet. He expressed surprise (and I quote) "that it was so little known he was a back passage storm trooper"

I was just taken by the expression which I haven't heard before. It would be tasteless to name names.
    Without wishing to sound "woke", I am always slightly amused at the attempts at witty derogatory terminology for gay people by the rabidly homophobic. It merely highlights their own very vanilla, dull sex lives.
    I doubt for most that male to male sex is an addition to a vanilla sex life as you put it. You should remember that people who do not approve of it are not necessarily homophobic. Its a side of life that just passes us by. Each to their own but no thank you.
    You can say no thank you without judging those who do enjoy it, though.
    Sometimes no thank-you isnt enough. Have you ever been propositioned?
    Yes, twice. I said no thank you, I'm not gay.

By contrast, my wife has been propositioned by unsavoury heterosexual men on hundreds of occasions, starting when she was about 13 years old.
    How many time has she been propositioned by savoury heterosexual men, of the kind you might find on this site?
    Once you've tried unsavoury you can't go back to savoury.
    (pats self on back for managing two John Shuttleworth references in one day).
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

This sexuality debate is confusing me a bit now.

So, to prove my gayness, I have to fuck Paris Lees up the ass??

This seems like the wrong conclusion.

What's this 'proving gayness' thing?
    I thought the way the debate was leening was that all women (??) had to take it up the ass to prove they're not homophobic.

PS-

I'm a man and don't fancy black women ;)
    I'd not read too much into the "debate" if that's the case. I'm pretty sure you can work out your place in the world to suit you. And if you're fine with it then so am I.

I've been trying to play the-

Reductio ad absurdum card for while. Which, is obviously a bit silly given where the MSM are in the debate.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Thank goodness we resisted the siren call to use masks and other NPIs etc during the summer and autumn.
    Theirs have been rising and ours have been falling is fairer. If you want to make predictions about where case numbers are going, that's your business. I won't follow you there.
    All you need to remember is that the high number of Covid cases and deaths in the UK is completely immaterial; it's the end of lockdown that counts. But in countries other than the UK, high numbers of cases and deaths are a sign of doom and massive governmental incompetence. That's right, isn't it?
    Re: other countries, high numbers of cases and deaths may be an indication of bad decision-making if accompanied by more draconian measures than us. Worst of both worlds sort of thing.
    In terms of Denmark v the UK, here's the stringency index over time, that shows that most of the time, the UK has had more stringent restrictions than Denmark: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?tab=chart&country=GBR~DNK
    The UK has no legal restrictions currently so why are they rating the UK as a 41.2 at the moment?

Though I see its based upon the 'strictest sub-region' so that would include any restrictions by Holyrood etc as "UK".
    Additional: I've been digging into the data a little and it's troubling. The current value for face coverings in England is listed as "2". In Scotland it's "3". The levels are:
    0- No policy
    1- Recommended
    2- Required in some specified shared/public spaces outside the home with other people present, or some situations when social distancing not possible
    3- Required in all shared/public spaces outside the home with other people present or all situations when social distancing not possible

This seems wrong, to me. As I understand it, the mask level should be at most "1" for England.

I withdraw any point I have made about the stringency index until and unless I find out that this is my mistake and not theirs.
    Face masks are required on public transport in England so that would fit with being a 2.

I opened your document but couldn't work out where to go for the "executive summary".

Seems a lot in there.
    No they're not.

Face masks are not legally required in public transport in England. TFL don't make the law.

I believe they are legally required in care homes and some other healthcare settings though.
    They should be compulsory on the tube and enforced by the law rather than tfl's ire (no fault of theirs)
    Why?

No they shouldn't. Just because TFL have overreached doesn't mean it should be the law.
    Why? - The tube is a special case of ridiculously close contact in an unventilated space.
    So what?

If people choose to wear a mask then, that's their choice. If they don't, ditto. That's the law as it is and as it should be.

It's one of the most likely places for infection. It's an easy line to draw too. Until the spring we should wear masks where we can and where it's sensible. It's really not so tough.
    It really is.

Stopping infection isn't something we should be doing with NPIs. That's last year's policy.

We have PIs now. Its time to live with the fact that infections happen, not try to prevent them.
    Good god. Work with what I've said rather than what you want to think I've said.

The law shouldn't be seeking to prevent infections in the community. People should be getting vaccinated.
    Yes I agree. However where there are obvious infection hotspots they should be enforced.

I imagine the tube could be higher than nighclubs in the potential risk. Nightclubs are open or they're not, and nothing at all you can do. With the tube there's everything you can do to reduce unfection.
    I went to Stratford and then Epping today on the Central Line, I wore a mask. Stopped really caring if other passengers wear them though. Luckily it was lunch time, so there were hardly any people around.
    In your railway journies have you ever sought out crowded commuter services? If I was a railway completist I'd have to experience the Northern line going south at 6pm for example. If I was sane I'd go nowhere near.
  • Options

Quite chastening to see homophobia alive and well on PB, in the shape of @squareroot2 . Don’t think we have had a open homophobe on here since the dark days of HD2. That bigoted Justin chap probably comes the closest, with his retrograde views on premarital sex.

Sorry - Strongly Disagree

All that @squareroot2 said is that he/she wasn't up for Anal Sex for him/herself.

HOW THE FUCK IS THAT HOMOPHOBIC

It makes him vanilla at the worst.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,500
    IshmaelZ said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Catching up on the Cambridge Union ("Defending Free Debate") mess, banning someone for performing Hitler setting up his Arian art exhibition as evidence of the existence of bad taste, who has now been banned for life (if it sticks) for being 'offensive'.

When did Cambridge Uni last put The Producers on?

Cambridge Union Society is not part of the University.
    I know.

But when was it last put on in the Uni environment; I'm just interested how the twit-demographic would (or did) react.
    It is an odd story. Why is a 61-year old mediocrity even attending a student debate?

And even if a 61-year old mediocrity really has nothing better to do of an evening, why does he travel from his home in Sussex to go to the Cambridge Union to do a Hitler impersonation?

Deep questions, no?
    Invited Art Historian speaker for a "Good Old Days" type debate with the audience in period costume, and a motion about Bad Taste?

And he went !!

For a "Good Old Days" type debate with the audience in period costume

You mean, an audience of pimply Cambridge undergraduates in period costume.

What sane person would inflict that spectacle upon themselves?

I would rather be in a dark Aberdonian nightclub, roofied out of my mind, and dancing with a senior member of the cabinet.
    That's very interesting. If you were an undergraduate prior to 1984 you have no business aping da yoof by going on about being "roofied;" if later, your flour-bombing of Tebbit has to be construed as an immensely witty and tasteful allusion to events in Brighton.
    Link to the speech.
    https://youtu.be/h5cXXE3jlpc?t=645
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

@Anna_Mazz
    The first recorded use of ABRACADABRA. In a malaria cure. It’s in the bottom triangle and is reduced by a letter at a time, thus killing off the disease. Foolproof.

It doesn't seem to be just a stripping away of a letter every time though. A syllable every time? To my eye there's a step which doesn't have a missing syllable, but that'd be consistent with my just not knowing.

I think the last word above the abracadabra triangle is depellendo, which is the gerund of depellere, to expel; so 'to be expelled', but I can't work out the word before it.
    Ah so maybe a 'spell'.

Should you find out more do let me know.
    I've found something that says the word is hemitritaeo, though it doesn't look like it to me. It mean a 'semitertian ague' (or malarial shivering).

So, for malarial shivering to be expelled, use Abracadabra!

And apparently Romans with malaria wore Abracadabra amulets to 'help' get rid of the disease.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

0- No policy
    1- Recommended

Seems a lot in there.
    No they're not.

Why?

So what?

It really is.

In your railway journies have you ever sought out crowded commuter services? If I was a railway completist I'd have to experience the Northern line going south at 6pm for example. If I was sane I'd go nowhere near.
    I once had to stand all the way from London Paddington to Exeter - two hours! That was just so that I could do the Barnstaple line that afternoon. Must have been in 2018!

Another really crowded train was when I took the "slow" line through Western-super-Mare (ie. Bristol to Taunton), even though that was early afternoon.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

0- No policy
    1- Recommended

Seems a lot in there.
    No they're not.

Why?

So what?

It really is.

I once had to stand all the way from London Paddington to Exeter - two hours! That was just so that I could do the Barnstaple line that afternoon. Must have been in 2018!

Another really crowded train was when I took the "slow" line through Western-super-Mare (ie. Bristol to Taunton), even though that was early afternoon.
    I'd not recommend seeking out the even more horrible experiences. Actually just take a trip on the Bakerloo line around 5pm.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

@Anna_Mazz

Ah so maybe a 'spell'.

I've found something that says the word is hemitritaeo, though it doesn't look like it to me. It mean a 'semitertian ague' (or malarial shivering).

And apparently Romans with malaria wore Abracadabra amulets to 'help' get rid of the disease.
    It's abbreviated - see the superscript between the 2 ts (and same word but ending -um immed to its left, in the text). I feel much better now about not being able to decipher it.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

All that @squareroot2 said is that he/she wasn't up for Anal Sex for him/herself.

They said they "disapproved" of it.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

@Anna_Mazz

Ah so maybe a 'spell'.

I there not some research on this? Keen-eyed though you may be surely it's been spotted before.
  • Options
    CNBC Ticker-

Facebook to remove ad targeting options for politics, sensitive issues
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,567
    Just seen that the GOP won the Seattle City Attorney election by 4 percentage points. Bit of an unexpected result.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,677
    edited November 2021

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

@Anna_Mazz

Ah so maybe a 'spell'.

Looks as if it is contracted in the MS - there is a scribal mark of some sort which usually means a contraction AIUI.

PS Is the first word not de - concerning, about?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

Still not a problem with me. Anal sex is more dangerous physically than Penis-Vagina
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,172
    Anyway, to change the subject, how about we discuss the correct start dates for the seasons?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

0- No policy
    1- Recommended

Seems a lot in there.
    No they're not.

Why?

So what?

It really is.

I'd not recommend seeking out the even more horrible experiences. Actually just take a trip on the Bakerloo line around 5pm.
    Pah, I did use to commute daily from Gants Hill to South Kensington between 1994 and 2004 during my studies and my first job at Imperial College. Also between home and Mill Hill East between 2007 and 2010 when I worked at the MRC.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

Still not a problem with me. Anal sex is more dangerous physically than Penis-Vagina
    Do you disapprove of Banal Sex?
  • Options

Anyway, to change the subject, how about we discuss the correct start dates for the seasons?

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    Summer June till grouse shooting starts
    autumn to 31 Oct.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I there not some research on this? Keen-eyed though you may be surely it's been spotted before.

I'm sure there is. I spotted it on twitter earlier and thought it might interest some here!

Just found this transcription and translation of some of the text

Hemitritaeo depellendo.

Mortiferum magis est quod Graecis hemitritaeos
    uulgatur uerbis; hoc nostra dicere lingua
    non potuere ulli, puto, nec uoluere parentes.
    Inscribes chartae quod dicitur abracadabra
    saepius et subter repetes, sed detrahe summam
    et magis atque magis desint elementa figuris
    singula, quae semper rapies, et cetera †figes,
    donec in angustum redigatur littera conum:
    his lino nexis collum redimire memento.
    Nonnulli memorant adipem prodesse leonis.
    coralium uero si †cocco nectere† uelis
    nec dubites illi ueros miscere smaragdos,
    adsit baca teres niueo pretiosa colore:
    talia languentis conducent uincula collo
    letalesque abiget miranda potentia morbos.

Against the demi-tertian fever.

The fever that the Greeks call “hemitritaion” is more dangerous. The Greek word has never been translated into Latin, whether because the nature of the language will not allow it, or because parents, in the belief that to do so would bring harm to their children, have been unwilling to give it a name. Write on a piece of papyrus ABRACADABRA. Then repeat this word as many times as there are letters in the word, but each time taking off a letter, so that the whole thing takes the form of a cone. This done, hang the piece of papyrus around the neck of the patient with a linen thread. It is claimed that lion-fat is also a good medicine. Coral and saffron wrapped in a cat’s skin has a virtue not less marvellous. If you think it advisable to hang some coral around the patient’s neck, include some emeralds: this talisman will infallibly cast out the lethal fire of the fever.

https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/2017/05/17/first-use-of-abracadabra-its-serenus-sammonicus/
  • Options
    RE: Sexuality

I've got to same fair play to PBers for tackling the Anal sex issue head on (so to speak)

I remember a Stephen Fry (presumably BBC) programme where he tried to state that male gays only engaged in fellatio
  • Options

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Stocky said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

0- No policy
    1- Recommended

Seems a lot in there.
    No they're not.

Why?

So what?

It really is.

Pah, I did use to commute daily from Gants Hill to South Kensington between 1994 and 2004 during my studies and my first job at Imperial College. Also between home and Mill Hill East between 2007 and 2010 when I worked at the MRC.
    The train experience or just plain bad?
  • Options
    Excellent idea

Singapore will force unvaccinated to pay for own medical care

People "unvaccinated by choice" in Singapore will have to pay for their own medical care, the government has confirmed.

The change will take place from 8 December - as one of the most successful countries at rolling out a vaccine (85% double jabbed) struggles with a surge in cases.

Singapore currently pays for all COVID-related care unless the virus was acquired overseas.

The government says the unjabbed "make up a sizeable majority of those who require intensive in-patient care and disproportionately contribute to the strain on our healthcare resources".
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

Do you disapprove of Banal Sex?
    I certainly do not!
  • Options

Omnium said:

I'm sure there is. I spotted it on twitter earlier and thought it might interest some here!

Hemitritaeo depellendo.

The fever that the Greeks call “hemitritaion” is more dangerous. The Greek word has never been translated into Latin, whether because the nature of the language will not allow it, or because parents, in the belief that to do so would bring harm to their children, have been unwilling to give it a name. Write on a piece of papyrus ABRACADABRA. Then repeat this word as many times as there are letters in the word, but each time taking off a letter, so that the whole thing takes the form of a cone. This done, hang the piece of papyrus around the neck of the patient with a linen thread. It is claimed that lion-fat is also a good medicine. Coral and saffron wrapped in a cat’s skin has a virtue not less marvellous. If you think it advisable to hang some coral around the patient’s neck, include some emeralds: this talisman will infallibly cast out the lethal fire of the fever.

https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/2017/05/17/first-use-of-abracadabra-its-serenus-sammonicus/
    And have there been more rational analyses?
  • Options

Omnium said:

Hemitritaeo depellendo.

line 1 hemitritaeos should be hemitritaeum
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

kjh said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I'm in Aberdeen at the moment and came across someone who went to school with a prominent member of the cabinet. He expressed surprise (and I quote) "that it was so little known he was a back passage storm trooper"

I was just taken by the expression which I haven't heard before. It would be tasteless to name names.
    Without wishing to sound "woke", I am always slightly amused at the attempts at witty derogatory terminology for gay people by the rabidly homophobic. It merely highlights their own very vanilla, dull sex lives.
    I doubt for most that male to male sex is an addition to a vanilla sex life as you put it. You should remember that people who do not approve of it are not necessarily homophobic. Its a side of life that just passes us by. Each to their own but no thank you.
    You can say no thank you without judging those who do enjoy it, though.
    Sometimes no thank-you isnt enough. Have you ever been propositioned?
    I have once. I was rather flattered. I suggested my wife and children might not approve. He seemed like a nice chap.
    A guy I spent a fair bit of time with as a post doc at Leeds came out, and described his type as basically me. Turned out I’d been out on several dates without realising... Really nice guy, no idea where he is now.
    Lol that's great, sounds suspiciously similar to how my relationship with my wife started, lots of "friend dates" where my or her friends would cancel at the last minute. It took me four of those to pluck up the courage to ask her out on a proper date and the rest, as they say is history.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    edited November 2021

Excellent idea

People "unvaccinated by choice" in Singapore will have to pay for their own medical care, the government has confirmed.

The change will take place from 8 December - as one of the most successful countries at rolling out a vaccine (85% double jabbed) struggles with a surge in cases.

Singapore currently pays for all COVID-related care unless the virus was acquired overseas.

The government says the unjabbed "make up a sizeable majority of those who require intensive in-patient care and disproportionately contribute to the strain on our healthcare resources".

Good idea on paper but where does it end?

Should drug addicts, smokers, drinkers and fat people pay for their care? And what about people who need medical care through misadventure? People who drive recklessly etc?

Once you go down that path there would be no end to it.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    JBriskin3 said:

Thank you and quite right. Not for me tyvm.

Not saying any more . Its the mindset that if you are not for us you are against us

I am.taking some time off from the site. I hope Anabobaxina reflects on his comment... the site has got very nasty of late. I shall be scrolling past his comments. None are worthy of a rexponse..

• Options
    JBriskin3 said:

I've got to same fair play to PBers for tackling the Anal sex issue head on (so to speak)

I remember a Stephen Fry (presumably BBC) programme where he tried to state that male gays only engaged in fellatio

I think what he said was just that anal was less ubiquitous than is commonly supposed. And that this subthread is so off topic that I might actually off-topic it for the first non-accidental time ever.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

The iPhone is a cruel thing. It’s just told me that on this exact day, 2 years ago, I was in Ushuaia, Argentina. 3 years ago, same day, I was in soi 4, Sukhumvit, Bangkok. Four years ago: the bat infested mountains of Yunnan. Southern China

It is like I am forced to listen to an exultant boastful version of myself (yes yes, maybe the only version) as I gloat about how much better my life is, as compared to my life

"Four years ago: the bat infested mountains of Yunnan. Southern China."

Hmm...

Two years ago a new plague emerges from Southern China. The source has yet to be discovered. There have been many theories about what it might be.

"Unwittingly spread by a well travelled flint dildo knapper" has yet to be discussed. Perhaps it ought to be.....
  • Options
    stodge said:

Moving on from simplistic solutions to complex problems:

Evening all :)

The good news is Mrs Stodge and I have booked our booster vaccinations. Have to say the NHS website perfectly good and easy to use. That's the good news.

The bad news is we can't get our booster vaccination in East Ham - the options are Manor Park or Barking. That's not a problem for us but it will be a problem for others in my area. Perhaps one of the issues with low take-up in some areas is the paucity of places where vaccinations can be administered.

When the mass vaccination programme was under way, we went to Excel (the exhibition centre, not the spreadsheet) and there was a walk-in at Newham Town Hall. For the boosters, the options seem much more limited and concentrated on pharmacies. At a time when we should be getting as many people as possible t get their third vaccination, it seems curious we are limiting the opportunities to get those vaccinations.

I've heard that there has been a big surge in bookings since Saturday and slots are now much more difficult to come by. Hopefully a good sign that people have been cajoled into getting them and that 30% of over 80s who haven't had ot will become much smaller.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

Good on paper but where does it end?

Should drug addicts, smokers, drinkers and fat people pay for their care? And what about people who need medical care through misadventure? People who drive recklessly etc?

This is to target covid specifically and I expect there would be strong support for it
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,172
    IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    Good god. Winter Dec 1 TIL Feb 28th.
    Spring 1st March TIL June 30th.
    Autumn sept 1st TIL nov 30th.
    Summer - one day between spring and autumn, signified by the tabloids publishing a picture of fruity girls in a fountain and a headline “phew, what a scorcher”.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

The iPhone is a cruel thing. It’s just told me that on this exact day, 2 years ago, I was in Ushuaia, Argentina. 3 years ago, same day, I was in soi 4, Sukhumvit, Bangkok. Four years ago: the bat infested mountains of Yunnan. Southern China

It is like I am forced to listen to an exultant boastful version of myself (yes yes, maybe the only version) as I gloat about how much better my life is, as compared to my life

Hmm...

Two years ago a new plague emerges from Southern China. The source has yet to be discovered. There have been many theories about what it might be.

Unwittingly spread by a well travelled flint dildo knapper has yet to be discussed. Perhaps it ought to be.....
    @Cyclefree

Did you manage to get your booster?
  • Options
    edited November 2021

GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

Good on paper but where does it end?

This is to target covid specifically and I expect there would be strong support for it
    Oh I'm sure there would be strong support for it. But we both know once you start going down the path of making health care a moral judgement there would be no end to it..
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

JBriskin3 said:

I think what he said was just that anal was less ubiquitous than is commonly supposed. And that this subthread is so off topic that I might actually off-topic it for the first non-accidental time ever.
    No, he was fairly clear on the matter. Having said that he was in Africa when he made this claim...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    You were eating a Hawaiian pizza when you posted that because you couldn't be more wronger.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Hmm...

Unwittingly spread by a well travelled flint dildo knapper has yet to be discussed. Perhaps it ought to be.....
    @Cyclefree

Yes thank you. Last Wednesday. I got a text the previous Friday. All very efficiently done. I got Pfizer again. Absolutely no reaction to it at all, just like the previous ones.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2021
    I like the word "haruspication".

P/S Cyclefree I got no reaction(s) either. What's it mean?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There's an extraordinarily overwrought piece in the Atlantic about a journalist's experience of testing positive for covid. It's written as if he had a near death experience but then says he's "probably been sicker 15 times as an adult".

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/the-worlds-only-normal-until-you-test-positive/620653/

That is insanely overwrought.

TL;DR; person gets not very sick with Covid but treats it like having the plague. Oh yes, and he has a nonbinary eight year old.
    What an incredible whiny piece.

So pathetic, if I didn't know better, I'd think it was a parody.

Though he does have an interesting line in it: One way to put the question of endemicity is: When do we start treating COVID like other respiratory illnesses? The answer in the UK thank fuck was back in July. No masks, no bullshit, just get on with your life, Covid is just any other respiratory illness.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    You were eating a Hawaiian pizza when you posted that because you couldn't be more wronger.
    You are right, autumn is wholly mythical and winter starts in September. And is alleviated only by YULETIDE and Bruce Willis in the greatest of all christmas movies...
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    I can accept more wrong, but more wronger?
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

He said he didn’t approve of it.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    "Yet more controversy in the form of ever-notorious Hawaiian and Pineapple varieties coming in third and fourth place, respectively. Has this settled the infamous ‘pineapple on pizza’ debate?"

https://www.ovenpride.com/blog/the-uks-favourite-pizza-toppings-revealed/
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Hmm...

@Cyclefree

Yes thank you. Last Wednesday. I got a text the previous Friday. All very efficiently done. I got Pfizer again. Absolutely no reaction to it at all, just like the previous ones.
    That's good to know!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

We don't give alcoholics new livers.
  • Options
    I've got my Covid Booster booked for December.

System working soooo much better again now :D
  • Options
    The one thing better than a ham and pineapple pizza is a bacon and banana pizza.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    It's in my OED.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

JBriskin3 said:

Not saying any more . Its the mindset that if you are not for us you are against us

I am.taking some time off from the site. I hope Anabobaxina reflects on his comment... the site has got very nasty of late. I shall be scrolling past his comments. None are worthy of a rexponse..

You said you disapproved of the act of homosexual sex (the implication being that you disapproved of others doing it). That seems to me to be pretty much definitively homophobic.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

I never think much of these "Where will it end?" arguments. When heroin and cocaine were outlawed, whenever that was, I am sure people were saying What next? alcohol and caffeine? To which the answer was, No, this is about heroin and cocaine. I am sue Singapore is quite capable of passing a covid-specific law which is and remains covid-specific.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

We do, as George Best would confirm if he was still alive.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    "Yet more controversy in the form of ever-notorious Hawaiian and Pineapple varieties coming in third and fourth place, respectively. Has this settled the infamous ‘pineapple on pizza’ debate?"

https://www.ovenpride.com/blog/the-uks-favourite-pizza-toppings-revealed/
    I have never seen cauliflower (6th) on a pizza. I'm not against it, I like cauliflower, but it never even occurred to me as an option.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,196

I was wondering earlier why advent wasn't ~40 days long like Lent. If it started on Martinmas, 11th November, then it would be 44 days, or six weeks and two days before Christmas. Now you might object that 44 days is not 40, but it turns out that the counting of Lent is somewhat more complicated anyway.

Also, this would tie in with the suggestion that Martinmas should mark the start of winter, as then Christmas could mark the rough midpoint of a 91-day long season, which would see spring starting a week or so into February (roughly around the time of Shrove Tuesday and putting Easter Day as the central point of a spring season).

Seems like it's traditional to have beef on Martinmas, but the only beef we have at the moment is mince. Perhaps we can pass off some burgers or meatballs to mark the occasion of one possible starting date for winter.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,953
    GIN1138 said:

You can book now for December? How?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    It's in my OED.
    More wronger is?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

Based purely on the likely prognosis, not on their past history, as Foxy has repeatedly clarified.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

You said you disapproved of the act of homosexual sex (the implication being that you disapproved of others doing it). That seems to me to be pretty much definitely homophobic.
    Only Tim Farron can settle that debate.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

Only if they've been sober for 12 months is the rule isn't it?

So if the antivaxxers were to be vaccinated for months then that'd be comparable.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    It's in my OED.
    More wronger is?
    It is a noun, so yes.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

That is true.

But presumably when an alcoholic and/or heavy drinker has one of the various medical issues that can occur from making this lifestyle choice (liver or esophageal cancer for example) they aren't turned away from the hospital unless they are willing to pay for their care and treatment because they have caused their condition?

Maybe they should be though? I suspect a lot of people would support that. Telling someone that caused their cancer: no money, no chemo!

I wouldn't agree with it but I bet I'd be in the minority.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

You said you disapproved of the act of homosexual sex (the implication being that you disapproved of others doing it). That seems to me to be pretty much definitely homophobic.
    Are you saying that females have to accept it up the ass to prove how gay they are?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

You can book now for December? How?
    Went on the NHS Covid booking website, inputted my credentials and voila! :D
  • Options

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

After proving sobriety. If the anti-vaxxers accept the vaccine as part of the treatment programme then give them the treatment.

In a resource limited world the NHS should turn away those irresponsible and idiotic people who have refused life saving medication already. To my mind refusing the vaccine is a signal that a person doesn't want to be treated for COVID. We should accept that.
  • Options

Vanilla forums is not living up to its name.

LOL! :D
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited November 2021

There's an extraordinarily overwrought piece in the Atlantic about a journalist's experience of testing positive for covid. It's written as if he had a near death experience but then says he's "probably been sicker 15 times as an adult".

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/11/the-worlds-only-normal-until-you-test-positive/620653/

Good grief. The poor luvvie tested positive and wasn't ill. He was paid to write this self-obsessed drama-queen drivel.

"The world’s normal only until you test positive" he says.

And his children. His poor children:

"My nonbinary 8-year-old was so mad and maybe so scared that they could barely look at me. My 5-year-old daughter proved her status as the ultimate ride-or-die kid. She brought a chair down the street so she could sit 20 feet away from me outside in her mask, as I sat on the porch in an N95. I’m not sure which reaction was more heartbreaking. It was as if one never wanted to see me again and the other didn’t want to let me out of her sight."

Edit: is it intended as a comedy piece I wonder?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620

JBriskin3 said:

Lol re the site has got nasty of late. Pot and kettle comes to mind.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    It's in my OED.
    In racist Yorkshire maybe, but in pukka English, we normally say "more wrong".

"Wronger" is a noun, and therefore wouldn't make sense in the sentence you wrote.
  • Options

A lurker has pointed out the most astonishing aspect of tonight's chat.

I wasn't the instigator.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    It's in my OED.

"Wronger" is a noun, and therefore wouldn't make sense in the sentence you wrote.
    Perhaps you missed all the racist Essex people who ended up in front of the police last week?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

I wasn't the instigator.
    You must be gutted
  • Options

I wasn't the instigator.
    Ah yes, you say that, but it was precisely your sonambulance that gave opportunity to those that might otherwise have lurked. To wit the pre-alluded lurker.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I wasn't the instigator.
    You must be gutted
    Nah, I'm delighted.

Though I'm toying with the headline this weekend of FuckeDUP!
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Winter Nov 1 - 30 April
    Spring is May
    autumn to 31 Oct.
    It's in my OED.

Perhaps you missed all the racist Essex people who ended up in front of the police last week?
    "Wronger" is a noun, and therefore wouldn't make sense in the sentence you wrote. You could say "You couldn't be more OF A wronger", I suppose.

PS.
    West Ham 3
    Liverpool 2
    :p

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,070

JBriskin3 said:

I saw nothing homophobic in your remarks. Horses for courses
  • Options

Stocky said:

I wasn't the instigator.
    You must be gutted
    Nah, I'm delighted.

First things first - maybe a fresh thread might take us away from the Tim Farron debate?
  • Options
    Mammy knows best:

Scot Gov Deputy FM John Swinney today announced that vaccine passports could be expanded to more "indoor hospitality and leisure settings" and mandatory masks could be "extended", with possible confirmation next Tues. What does this mean though? Answer: Scot Gov won't tell you.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1458177512211718148?s=20
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Stocky said:

I wasn't the instigator.
    You must be gutted
    Nah, I'm delighted.

First things first - maybe a fresh thread might take us away from the Tim Farron debate?
    I can't be arsed, ahem.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341
    rel="Anabobazina">
    JBriskin3 said:

He said he didn’t approve of it. </blockquotthe last word

I
    You should meet up.with KJH you would get on well. Taking offence is what you get off on.

Bye

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    EXC: Amid sleaze row PM has abandoned his Cabinet away day to Chequers on Thursday, @TheSun can reveal.

Ministers will meet at No10 but seems PM gone cold on big “levelling up” chat at 1,400 acre estate

Event was Dan Rosenfield’s baby.. but now kaput

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/16685191/boris-johnson-cop26-glasgow-deal/
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,070
    Talking of Abracadabra, this is a properly interesting video about the coded, cryptic nature of anti-Semitism online (from right and left)

https://vimeo.com/517984855

Half of this must be the sheer thrill of speaking an inexplicable code, in plain sight, like criminal backslang, but some of it is actually sinister
  • Options

Americans eh? 😂
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

After proving sobriety. If the anti-vaxxers accept the vaccine as part of the treatment programme then give them the treatment.

In a resource limited world the NHS should turn away those irresponsible and idiotic people who have refused life saving medication already. To my mind refusing the vaccine is a signal that a person doesn't want to be treated for COVID. We should accept that.
    It is a fundamental principle that consent can be changed by the patient at any time. Refusing the unvaxxed treatment would be quite unethical.

Liver transplants in alcoholics, or hip replacements in morbidly obese are not refused as moral judgements, but rather due to higher risk of failure and complications.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,567
    Sherelle Jacobs is probably my favourite journalist at the moment. Couldn't agree more with this.

"After 11 years of Tory rule, Britain is still run by a hypocritical Blairite elite
    The quangos and BBC continue to be dominated by a soft-Left establishment that the PM is too scared to tame
    Sherelle Jacobs"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/08/11-years-tory-rule-britain-still-run-hypocritical-blairite-elite/
  • Options

Where I feel sorry for Michael Gove and others is that they have to be put in this situation in the first place. I know what its like in the closet, there is fear and shame and confusion. Add in being in the public spotlight and it must be hell.

Society still needs to evolve more so that people can be who they want to be without grief.

Has Michael Gove been "outed" on PB? :o
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Stocky said:

I wasn't the instigator.
    You must be gutted
    Nah, I'm delighted.

I can't be arsed, ahem.
    Have we reached the bottom of the barrel?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Sherelle Jacobs is probably my favourite journalist at the moment. Couldn't agree more with this.

"After 11 years of Tory rule, Britain is still run by a hypocritical Blairite elite
    The quangos and BBC continue to be dominated by a soft-Left establishment that the PM is too scared to tame
    Sherelle Jacobs"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/08/11-years-tory-rule-britain-still-run-hypocritical-blairite-elite/

Can't say I think that altogether convincing. 'Establishment' being blamed for things is generally pretty woolly.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

It is a fundamental principle that consent can be changed by the patient at any time. Refusing the unvaxxed treatment would be quite unethical.

Liver transplants in alcoholics, or hip replacements in morbidly obese are not refused as moral judgements, but rather due to higher risk of failure and complications.
    But its not unethical to tell kids they can't go to school, that people need to stay at home, or that people have to wear a mask on their face?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    edited November 2021
    Where do people get the idea that summer lasts for months? It’s normally a week or two in August, a week in July, and in a very good year a week or two in June and/or early September.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Excellent idea

But its not unethical to tell kids they can't go to school, that people need to stay at home, or that people have to wear a mask on their face?
    No, all those things are ethical in the correct context.
This discussion has been closed.