Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Trump becoming an even stronger favourite in the WH2024 betting – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2021 in General
imageTrump becoming an even stronger favourite in the WH2024 betting – politicalbetting.com

Even though it is more than three years away betting on the next White House race remains active and as can be seen the loser who refused to admit defeat. Trump, is clear favourite and he continues to totally dominate Republican politics. Much of that power would be diluted if he ruled out a run.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TazTaz Posts: 10,702
    Brutal from england
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    I think there's some other sport going on - rugby with the All Blacks vs Wales as well as the football.

After Wednesday's Carabao Cup reverse in East London, a poor day for Man City while Liverpool struggled against Brighton - all good news for the west Londoners who enjoyed another romp against an inferior club starting with "N".

Performance of the day - FRODON at Down Royal and another triumph for Bryony Frost.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,220
    This is not a vintage All Blacks performance. So far
    Worldometer has the world passing five million Covid-19 deaths: today

Five million

Grim
  • So this is the Rugby thread, while the cricket is still going on the previous one. Although as the last I looked England needed less than one an over, that might be over now.

So this is the Rugby thread, while the cricket is still going on the previous one. Although as the last I looked England needed less than one an over, that might be over now.

Scrappy game
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    A typical day for North East football...

Toon - Lost
    Mackems - Lost
    Smoggies - Lost
    Poolies - Lost
    The Heed - Lost
    Spenny - Lost
    Spartans - Lost

Darlo - Won

• So this is the Rugby thread, while the cricket is still going on the previous one. Although as the last I looked England needed less than one an over, that might be over now.

It’s all over now...
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

So this is the Rugby thread, while the cricket is still going on the previous one. Although as the last I looked England needed less than one an over, that might be over now.

All over. Aussies sent packing.
  • A typical day for North East football...

Toon - Lost
    Mackems - Lost
    Smoggies - Lost
    Poolies - Lost
    The Heed - Lost
    Spenny - Lost
    Spartans - Lost

Darlo - Won

Which one of those is Sunderland?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

Toon - Lost
    Mackems - Lost
    Smoggies - Lost
    Poolies - Lost
    The Heed - Lost
    Spenny - Lost
    Spartans - Lost

Darlo - Won

Mackems
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Leon said:

Five million

Grim

So in 19 months, COVID has killed as many people as die in a typical 2 week period,
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

Five million

Grim

So in 19 months, COVID has killed as many people as die in a typical 2 week period,
    True, but I am pretty sure you can multiply that figure by 3 or even 4 for the actual total. It's a lot of people
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited October 2021
    On topic, from someone who doesn't give the tiniest crap about sports, I wonder how many times the betting favourite 3 years out wins the White House? If it is as accurate as polling three years out here, it's pretty worthless.

But then, as OGH remarks, Trump's domination of his party is remarkable for someone who isn't a sitting President.
    Christ. This is a guy in pain

A broken rib?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

Five million

Grim

Or alternatively, as have died in a typical six week period once you adjust for the real figures rather than the Russian, Chinese, Iranian, Indian, Brazilian etc. undercounting.

But that is in itself a bit misleading. Because if we had continued in a 'typical' pattern it would have been rather more than that. It's been kept that low precisely because many of the most vulnerable societies have taken extraordinary measures to control it.
    Broken ribs. Ouch

Toon - Lost
    Mackems - Lost
    Smoggies - Lost
    Poolies - Lost
    The Heed - Lost
    Spenny - Lost
    Spartans - Lost

Darlo - Won

Mackems.

They don’t make things they....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    MaxPB said:

All over. Aussies sent packing.
    Ironically, it might be that if we spank the Saffas this time next week, the Aussies go through.
  • Fishing said:

On topic, from someone who doesn't give the tiniest crap about sports, I wonder how many times the betting favourite 3 years out wins the White House? If it is as accurate as polling three years out here, it's pretty worthless.

But then, as OGH remarks, Trump's domination of his party is remarkable for someone who isn't a sitting President.

I think Elizabeth Warren was the favourite at this point, she was a 52% chance at one point.
  • A courageous approach.

Prince Andrew has sought to turn the tables on the woman accusing him of teenage rape by claiming that she was involved in the “wilful recruitment and trafficking of young girls for sexual abuse”.

In a controversial attempt to prove his innocence, lawyers for the Duke of York have painted Virginia Giuffre as an alleged criminal who worked to procure underage “slutty girls” for Jeffrey Epstein, the paedophile billionaire.

They also indicate that by making false allegations against the prince and using up court time, Giuffre is allowing real predators to get away with their crimes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-andrew-accuses-virginia-giuffre-of-procuring-slutty-girls-for-sexual-abuse-by-epstein-9zlbk8dwt
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Leon said:

Five million

Grim

And probably at least a couple of million short, maybe many more depending whether or not you are inclined to believe the Chinese, the Indians, some of the South Americans, Russia....
    34% of white American students "falsely" claim to be from a racial minority, in their applications for college or uni

The insane but inevitable outcome of insane racial preferences

https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/education/577722-more-than-a-third-of-white-students-lie-about-their

I'm curious to know how they establish these claims as false. Genetic testing?
    Leon said:

34% of white American students "falsely" claim to be from a racial minority, in their applications for college or uni

https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/education/577722-more-than-a-third-of-white-students-lie-about-their

Anonymous polling within universities vs applications.
    Leon said:

But surely they can't be false if you allow self-identification?
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Anonymous polling within universities vs applications.
    This will end with 100% of white students claiming minority status. There is no way of disproving these claims, because race does not exist and is a social construct - as we are constantly told.

And so the whole thing is turned into a sad silly farce
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Leon said:

They’re just following the logic of Pocahontas.
    edited October 2021
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

They’re just following the logic of Pocahontas.
    And Elizabeth Warren?
    Fishing said:

Eisenhower and FDR must have been there or thereabouts in 1949 and 1929 respectively. Reagan was probably the leading contender for the Republican nomination in 1980 by 1977, ahead of Ford, Dole and Rockefeller, and therefore would possibly have been considered favourite given Carter had become mired in scandal.

But it isn't that common, certainly.
  • A courageous approach.

Prince Andrew has sought to turn the tables on the woman accusing him of teenage rape by claiming that she was involved in the “wilful recruitment and trafficking of young girls for sexual abuse”.

In a controversial attempt to prove his innocence, lawyers for the Duke of York have painted Virginia Giuffre as an alleged criminal who worked to procure underage “slutty girls” for Jeffrey Epstein, the paedophile billionaire.

They also indicate that by making false allegations against the prince and using up court time, Giuffre is allowing real predators to get away with their crimes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-andrew-accuses-virginia-giuffre-of-procuring-slutty-girls-for-sexual-abuse-by-epstein-9zlbk8dwt

You can almost hear the great man himself saying 'slutty girls' with relish.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

"Students should be told during Freshers’ Week that universities are not there to protect their feelings, academics have said as they call for change in the wake of a professor’s resignation.

The “real blame” for the “ludicrous” culture that has emerged on British campuses lies with universities rather than “young and immature” students, a leading Oxford scholar has said."

D Telegraph

• A courageous approach.

I wonder what first attracted Prince Andrew to the paedophile billionaire?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

A courageous approach.

Why on earth would his lawyers include that in a filing?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Out of interest, has anyone listened to much Alistair Cooke on US elections over the years?

I listened to him, but it's the sort of thing I would filter out.

I've much more enjoyed his essays about US politics.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    edited October 2021

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

"Students should be told during Freshers’ Week that universities are not there to protect their feelings, academics have said as they call for change in the wake of a professor’s resignation.

The “real blame” for the “ludicrous” culture that has emerged on British campuses lies with universities rather than “young and immature” students, a leading Oxford scholar has said."

D Telegraph
    Some woke Americans call us "TERF island" because of our apparent resistance to the ideology of self-identification.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Anyone heard any more from CHB
  • Charles said:

A courageous approach.

The court papers quote Crystal Figueroa, the sister of one of Giuffre’s ex-boyfriends, who claims she was asked by Andrew’s accuser for help in recruiting minors: “She [Giuffre] would say to me, ‘Do you know any girls who are kind of slutty?’”

A courageous approach.

Good god. It actually says that in his documents? I thought you were joking

A catastrophic decision

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

D Telegraph

It's all part of turning students into customers and the customer is always right. University is no longer a privilege when 50% of people go and when it costs £9k per year.

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

D Telegraph
    Some woke Americans call us "TERF island" because of our apparent resistance to the ideology of self-identification.
    Do they not realise we are the epicentre of the trans-TERF wars? They STARTED here then spread to the colonies

I am insulted
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

D Telegraph

It's all part of turning students into customers and the customer is always right. University is no longer a privilege when 50% of people go and when it costs £9k per year.
    Change in the wake or the woke...

Charles said:

A courageous approach.

The court papers quote Crystal Figueroa, the sister of one of Giuffre’s ex-boyfriends, who claims she was asked by Andrew’s accuser for help in recruiting minors: “She [Giuffre] would say to me, ‘Do you know any girls who are kind of slutty?’”
    OK, that changes it. If they have a friend saying Giuffre used those words, then Andrew is allowed to present them as evidence. He is an innocent man as of this moment. Albeit a stupid one
  • Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision
    The whole strategy is courageous.

The way they are trying to get it thrown out just looks awful.

Especially in light of the Prince's previous denials about never meeting her.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited October 2021

A courageous approach.

I wonder what first attracted Prince Andrew to the paedophile billionaire?
    Actually I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Epstein’s willingness to pay for everything that was the initial pull. Can’t recall who it was who wrote the profile on Andrew that suggested he was notorious for expecting whoever he was with to foot the bill.

Came for the freebies, stayed inadvertently for the slutty girls could be a defence I guess..
    And home… what an enjoyable evening, shall remember that match for a long time.
  • There was a piece I read earlier on this week which made me doubt Prince Andrew's sanity.

Apparently he was and still is convinced that his appearance in that interview went well.

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

He is entitled to do this, however, as I say below. And I can see how it might work

But he is finished as a public figure for ever. The royals must want him to vanish into nothing
    On topic, at what point does Biden become value for re-election? 17% for the first-term incumbent must be almost unheard of?

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

‘Courageous’?
    AKA Foolhardy?
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/458b3cac-3988-11ec-a14e-75e3a4bcdc4c?shareToken=473363dd4386c9590cfaaef8b2e6abcb

Great article. Finally someone has articulated in the mainstream press that maybe it's not such a great idea to keep everyone alive indefinitely.
  • Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

‘Courageous’?
    AKA Foolhardy?
    Yes, courageous in the Yes Minister sense.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

Five million

Grim

The excess death numbers for a lot of places are absolutely horrific. Some Central and South American countries have had 50+% more deaths than normal in the last 18 months.

See: https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938

Peru has had more than twice the normal number of people die. And is in the middle of another wave. That's absolutely horrific.
    Sandpit said:

Was Mrs S with you?
    Was it not said in one of the Epstein investigations, that they had trouble putting all the contacts they unearthed into binary groups of abusers and abused, because there was quite a bit of overlap with girls recruiting their younger friends?
    rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

Five million

Grim

The excess death numbers for a lot of places are absolutely horrific. Some Central and South American countries have had 50+% more deaths than normal in the last 18 months.

Peru has had more than twice the normal number of people die. And is in the middle of another wave. That's absolutely horrific.
    That would be 600,000 dead in the UK. And many still dying
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

Five million

Grim

Looking at the totals for excess deaths, most European countries are in the 15-20% range, with Germany (just 3% above normal levels) and Denmark (no excess deaths), the standouts.

Of course, Germany - particularly the East - is getting absolutely stomped right now.

Sandpit said:

Was Mrs S with you?
    Indeed so. One of these days I’m going to take her to a competitive match that builds to a finish - as it appears SAvSL was earlier today.
    Superb try from the Blacks
    Sandpit said:

Was it not said in one of the Epstein investigations, that they had trouble putting all the contacts they unearthed into binary groups of abusers and abused, because there was quite a bit of overlap with girls recruiting their younger friends?

Takes one back to the ‘groupies’ of the sixties.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848
    Oh no. Not my favourite header title. On Trump, there comes a time - and I've reached it - where you just throw analysis in the bin and go higher. You place some faith in the American people. Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Nowhere, is what I'm betting, figuratively and literally. Donald Trump will flame out and I'll make a packet. I'm long sanity, long decency, long truth and justice, and it's a good feeling.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

US trial lawyers generally know what they are doing, mad as this looks. Trying to prejudice a jury somewhere down the line?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227
    edited October 2021
    Washington State 2021 General Election - as of Friday, Oct. 29 (EDay -4)

cumulative ballot returns:
    WA State = 827,931 (17.2% of 4.8m active registered voters)
    King Co = 227,880 (16.3% of 1.4m active reg)
    Seattle = 95,531 (19.6% of 489k active reg)

Note that King Co accounts for 29% of statewide registration, and City of Seattle for 10% statewide

Further note King Co that (so far) King accounts for 27.5% of statewide returns, and Seattle for 11.5%

The differential is due to fact that most of King County outside of Seattle does NOT have much to vote for (or against) on the 2021 off-year ballot. Most races are for local city, school board and "junior tax district" offices, with a few county races here and there. In many smaller jurisdictions only one candidate filed. Pretty similar in the other 38 counties beyond King.

In Seattle situation is quite different, we have three hotly-contested citywide races: for mayor, city attorney and one at-large city council seat. Which is driving up turnout in the Emerald City. Already our return rate is above the countywide percentage - and Seattle voters general vote later as a rule than suburban, exurban and rural voters.

Back in 2017 statewide turnout was only 37%; it was 43% in King Co and 49% in Seattle. IF these numbers are replicated this year (and adjusted for registration increase) then just under half of the final statewide turnout is already in the can, with slightly lower shares for King Co & Seattle.

This year should be somewhat higher, for one thing four years ago was the last election BEFORE pre-paid postage for returning mail ballots - and for this election over 64% of the ballots returned so far have been via USPS, with the bulk of the remainder via drop boxes.

Anyone heard any more from CHB

Not seen anything but I do hole they’re okay
  • Sandpit said:

Yup, it is something that happened in some of the grooming cases in this country.

It was quite striking.

Sandpit said:

Takes one back to the ‘groupies’ of the sixties.
    All variations on the world’s oldest profession, and it’s never going to go away…
    How does he get away with it?

Rob Roberts: Disgraced MP back in Conservative Party on Monday
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59088563

Even if he's not had the whip restored, this is still pretty poor by the Tories.
    Come on Wales!
  • Sandpit said:

On topic, at what point does Biden become value for re-election? 17% for the first-term incumbent must be almost unheard of?

He'll be an octogenarian at the next election. He's a lame duck already surely?

If things are going well for Biden then Kamala will be the nominee.

Sandpit said:

Yup, it is something that happened in some of the grooming cases in this country.

It was quite striking.
    Depends on the amount of money handed over consequent on the ‘transaction’.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

US trial lawyers generally know what they are doing, mad as this looks. Trying to prejudice a jury somewhere down the line?
    They are throwing mud in the hope some of it sticks.

It appears their strategy is to say Virginia Giuffre cannot bring any action because of a prior agreement she had with Epstein.

The prince’s lawyers argue that an out-of-court settlement reached between Giuffre and Epstein in 2009 protects Andrew from any liability. However, a copy of the settlement filed as an exhibit on Friday was completely blacked out.

Let that sink in, Andrew wants the whole thing thrown out because of that, that's going to look awful in the eyes of the public.
  • Spurs are being kind to ensure Ole gets to keep his job a bit longer.

Come on Spurs, turn this around! You only need to score 3 not 5. 😂
  • Sandpit said:

It was quite striking.
    Nope, it was more the groomed victims thought they were in love with their abusers and would do anything for them.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,725
    How come Correct Horse Battery was posting this afternoon, but on his profile it says last active yesterday?
  • IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

That applies to the prosecution as well as the defense. Esp. when you are talking about criminal conspiracy-human trafficking-public corruption federal prosecutors of the Southern District of New York.
    Friend of mine, a retired schoolmaster, once told us about a lecture the male students had to attend.
    ‘Dealing with 14 yr old tarts!’
    Rule one. Always keep a table between you and a girl you are ‘disciplining’!
  • isam said:

How come Correct Horse Battery was posting this afternoon, but on his profile it says last active yesterday?

It's a quirk.

The last active time is the last time you visited the Vanilla Forums (https://vf.politicalbetting.com/)

But if you post via the main site then that doesn't show on the VF last active info.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

A courageous approach.

More fool me for taking the Mail’s reporting at face value
  • IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

It appears their strategy is to say Virginia Giuffre cannot bring any action because of a prior agreement she had with Epstein.

The prince’s lawyers argue that an out-of-court settlement reached between Giuffre and Epstein in 2009 protects Andrew from any liability. However, a copy of the settlement filed as an exhibit on Friday was completely blacked out.

Let that sink in, Andrew wants the whole thing thrown out because of that, that's going to look awful in the eyes of the public.
    IIRC this is the very settlement that's garnered LOTS of interest from US Dept of Justice public corruption section.
    A totally phenomenal try
    edited October 2021

Sandpit said:

It was quite striking.
    Nope, it was more the groomed victims thought they were in love with their abusers and would do anything for them.
    Bit of both, I suggest. But you’re right.
    That's one of the best tries I've ever seen. Why aren't the commentators more excited?

Astounding
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Leon said:

A totally phenomenal try

You said it wasn't a "vintage All Blacks performance" earlier.

Perhaps but the All Blacks have found their stride now.

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

So, to play Devil’s Andrew’s advocate, she was also involved in recuiting girls so isn’t entirely innocent here, and she’s been paid off once already for the dodgy parties at Epstein’s place, so shouldn’t be double-dipping for compensation (in a civil suit) for the same event.

Now, some people might think that’s outrageous, but others might think it’s plausible or even reasonable.
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

That applies to the prosecution as well as the defense. Esp. when you are talking about criminal conspiracy-human trafficking-public corruption federal prosecutors of the Southern District of New York.
    It's disgusting we didn't hand over Prince Andrew for criminal prosecution. The whole element of having a family seemingly above legal sanction is a big argument for being a republic.
    edited October 2021
    stodge said:

Leon said:

A totally phenomenal try

You said it wasn't a "vintage All Blacks performance" earlier.

Perhaps but the All Blacks have found their stride now.
    Yes I take that back. It was scrappy and stodgy

This is Roederer Rugby now. Fizzing
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Leon said:

What's to say it is false? If a man can self identify as a woman, why can't a person of white ancestry identify as African origin?
  • Sandpit said:

It was quite striking.
    Its far from unusual behaviour for [especially underage] abuse victims, isn't it?

Not quite Stockholm Syndrome but there must be a similar terminology for this as its so common as to be almost stereotypical.

Doesn't make the original abusers behaviour any more excuseable.
    Sensational
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

What's to say it is false? If a man can self identify as a woman, why can't a person of white ancestry identify as African origin?
    We can all identify as of African origin, if we look back far enough.
  • Aslan said:

Leon said:

You'll trigger Leon and stop him from watching the Rugby with that talk.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

So, to play Devil’s Andrew’s advocate, she was also involved in recuiting girls so isn’t entirely innocent here, and she’s been paid off once already for the dodgy parties at Epstein’s place, so shouldn’t be double-dipping for compensation (in a civil suit) for the same event.

Now, some people might think that’s outrageous, but others might think it’s plausible or even reasonable.
    No doubt many other high profile men in the USA are cheering on Andy as he takes one for the team.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

It's disgusting we didn't hand over Prince Andrew for criminal prosecution. The whole element of having a family seemingly above legal sanction is a big argument for being a republic.
    Perhaps, but extradition seems very one way with the us. Many of us would happily swap Ann Secoolas (apologies for spelling) with Andrew, even if the former never ended up serving time. At least face justice for your mistake.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,725

isam said:

It's a quirk.

The last active time is the last time you visited the Vanilla Forums (https://vf.politicalbetting.com/)

But if you post via the main site then that doesn't show on the VF last active info.
    Ah right, thank you
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,132
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

Didn't the Americans regard someone with only one black great-grandparent (or less?) as black? In those days, in a highly negative way. But plainly it all depends on definition.

And, literally, many would think that they were natively born Americans, so I wonder if there was some confusion there.

• logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

Five million

Grim

... who otherwise would have lived many years more?
    Or is this the 'everybody dies eventually, so why should I wear a mask' argument?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

D Telegraph
    I do wonder whether student loan system has made all this worse. They are the customers now. The ones paying.

When the LEA was paying it was a different relationship.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Bloody hell, how bad are Spurs getting beaten by this collation of 13 individuals who may or may not have met before but certainly have no idea how to play as a team?
  • Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

A catastrophic decision

True. But doubt those people include many - or rather any - US federal judges.

Aslan said:

Leon said:

This is now disputed, actually
    edited October 2021
    Carnyx said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Didn't the Americans regard someone with only one black great-grandparent (or less?) as black? In those days, in a highly negative way. But plainly it all depends on definition.

And, literally, many would think that they were natively born Americans, so I wonder if there was some confusion there.

Or, it’s the perfectly logical consequence, of the universities treating applicants differently according to race.
This discussion has been closed.