Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump becoming an even stronger favourite in the WH2024 betting – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,397

isam said:

Tonight’s Opinium has the lowest number of people they have recorded as saying they approve of the job Sir Keir is doing as LotO

https://www.opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Opinium-Political-Report-25th-October-2021.pdf

Just 23% think Brexit will have a detrimental impact on their personal financial circumstances, with 15% thinking they will improve.
    Thank you Jeremy Corbyn.

15% trumping 23% uses the same formula that saw Labour win the 2017 GE.
    Up to a point but bear in mind these people, all of them, might be wrong. You would not want to plan NHS funding by opinion polls counting how many people thought they might get dementia or cancer. That less than half the sample expressed an opinion either way suggests most thought it a stupid question.
    That is true.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Alistair said:

Oh look, it is one of those free speech at University cases that somehow escapes the notice of hyper ventilating right wingers who somehow otherwise know the intimate details of every random student union shadow sub comittes

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1454530118454480901?t=LmAHveioYAxSwRX1BR1WqQ&s=19

University of Florida preventing it's faculty from being expert witnesses because it would upset their political masters.

The Republican Party are just autocratic shits that would destroy their country's democracy if it helped their political goals. Sadly there seem to be an increasing minority of Tories that take a similar position.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    geoffw said:

Charles said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

34% of white American students "falsely" claim to be from a racial minority, in their applications for college or uni

The insane but inevitable outcome of insane racial preferences

https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/education/577722-more-than-a-third-of-white-students-lie-about-their

I'm curious to know how they establish these claims as false. Genetic testing?

What's to say it is false? If a man can self identify as a woman, why can't a person of white ancestry identify as African origin?
    We can all identify as of African origin, if we look back far enough.
    This is now disputed, actually
    Really? First I’ve heard. What’s the new theory?
    I am happy to be corrected but my understanding is that the "Out Of Africa" theory is now disputed, but that theory only refers to homo sapien sapiens coming out of Africa as the modern species. Newer evidence suggests there was inter breeding between different subspecies of humans post-Africa. But all those sub species in turn came out of Africa so the argument still stands.
    Not so.

China. And Asia, more widely

"Most Chinese palaeontologists — and a few ardent supporters from the West — think that the transitional fossils are evidence that Peking Man was an ancestor of modern Asian people. In this model, known as multiregionalism or continuity with hybridization, hominins descended from H. erectus in Asia interbred with incoming groups from Africa and other parts of Eurasia, and their progeny gave rise to the ancestors of modern east Asians, says Wu."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-china-is-rewriting-the-book-on-human-origins/
    But where did those homo erecti come from?
    Primates evolving in Asia, presumably
    Convergent evolution would explain how they evolved similarly in different continents, and the origin in the same or very similar primate species would explain the ability to interbreed, as proto-Europeans bred with Neanderthals
    It is certainly a bit fishy that so much of the evolution is thought to have occurred in the hot dry places in the Rift Valley where fossils are most likely to be preserved.
    Yes

And now that "mitochondrial Eve" has been largely abandoned, and humans are thought to have evolved in several different places across Africa, then why not outside Africa.

In fact, if I had to bet, I would say they likely did. We are finding too many inexplicable and contradictory fossils in Asia

I have a theory, which is probably bollocks, that the quickest way "out of Africa" to get to S. America is via a boat ride across the Atlantic.
    Think there’s a problem with winds and currents
    The doldrums perhaps?

Consider: at their closest, Brazil and West Africa are nearer one another than Gibraltar and the Levant.
    By great circle?

According to Google:
    Natal (Brazil) to Monrovia (Liberia) is 2,969 km (1,845 miles).
    Gibraltar to Tel Aviv is 3,639 km (2,261 miles).
    Yes, Brazil is a whole lot further East than is generally thought.

I think it's only a three hour time difference between Rio and London during some times of the year.
    Does that end at 0200hrs tomorrow morning?

No, at 0100h
    Nope. https://www.gov.uk/when-do-the-clocks-change

I’m rather disappointed this story appears to be the Georgian equivalent of an urban myth

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Give-us-our-eleven-days/
    Gregorian rather than Georgian, Chuck.

St Gregory never expressed a view on the Calendar Riots of 1750.

Many Georgians, however, did.

Geoff.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,881
    geoffw said:

Charles said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

34% of white American students "falsely" claim to be from a racial minority, in their applications for college or uni

https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/education/577722-more-than-a-third-of-white-students-lie-about-their

What's to say it is false? If a man can self identify as a woman, why can't a person of white ancestry identify as African origin?
    I am happy to be corrected but my understanding is that the "Out Of Africa" theory is now disputed, but that theory only refers to homo sapien sapiens coming out of Africa as the modern species. Newer evidence suggests there was inter breeding between different subspecies of humans post-Africa. But all those sub species in turn came out of Africa so the argument still stands.
    Not so.

"Most Chinese palaeontologists — and a few ardent supporters from the West — think that the transitional fossils are evidence that Peking Man was an ancestor of modern Asian people. In this model, known as multiregionalism or continuity with hybridization, hominins descended from H. erectus in Asia interbred with incoming groups from Africa and other parts of Eurasia, and their progeny gave rise to the ancestors of modern east Asians, says Wu."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-china-is-rewriting-the-book-on-human-origins/
    Convergent evolution would explain how they evolved similarly in different continents, and the origin in the same or very similar primate species would explain the ability to interbreed, as proto-Europeans bred with Neanderthals
    It is certainly a bit fishy that so much of the evolution is thought to have occurred in the hot dry places in the Rift Valley where fossils are most likely to be preserved.
    Yes

And now that "mitochondrial Eve" has been largely abandoned, and humans are thought to have evolved in several different places across Africa, then why not outside Africa.

In fact, if I had to bet, I would say they likely did. We are finding too many inexplicable and contradictory fossils in Asia

I have a theory, which is probably bollocks, that the quickest way "out of Africa" to get to S. America is via a boat ride across the Atlantic.
    The doldrums perhaps?

Consider: at their closest, Brazil and West Africa are nearer one another than Gibraltar and the Levant.
    By great circle?

According to Google:

I think it's only a three hour time difference between Rio and London during some times of the year.

No, at 0100h

I’m rather disappointed this story appears to be the Georgian equivalent of an urban myth

We changed to the Gregorian calandar but we did so in the Georgian era.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,881
    Charles said:

geoffw said:

Charles said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

Geoff.
    What calendar riots?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,182
    Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h
    The second after 01:59:59 will be 01:00:00. So at the second 01:00:00, that's when any time differences will change. By the time 02:00:00 arrives, they'll have been different for (just over) an hour.
    But what you said implies "the second after 00:59:59 will be 00:00:00."
    If you dissent we may need an independent arbitrator.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Brazil is closer to France than it is to Chile.

France is closer to Australia than it is to Poland.
    Easter Island is closer to the UK than it is to Chile :lol:
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,182

geoffw said:

Charles said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

We changed to the Gregorian calandar but we did so in the Georgian era.
    ok ok point made
  • Options
    Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h
    The second after 01:59:59 will be 01:00:00. So at the second 01:00:00, that's when any time differences will change. By the time 02:00:00 arrives, they'll have been different for (just over) an hour.
    Depends how quickly you can reset your clocks! For our wall-mounted living room clock, I have to grab a chair, stand on it, remove the clock from the wall, and then reset it!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h
    No, I was correcting you in the finest tradition of pb pedantry. And I was exactly right.
    And in the finest tradition of pb pedantry, you can point out that there is another 0100h, the earlier one, where my statement is false. It's my fault for leaving it ambiguous, but I was right both literally and in intention :smiley:
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    IanB2 said:

Farooq said:

Brazil is closer to France than it is to Chile.

France is closer to Australia than it is to Poland.
    Easter Island is closer to the UK than it is to Chile :lol:
    Easter Island moves around, so you never know where it’s going to be from one year to the next
    Underrated post.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    on topic:

It looks like some Dem supporters in Virginia, has attempted a very ammeter 'false flag' opp, and it has unravelled very quickly, but not before the official Dem campaign had tweeted that is is 'disqualifying' for there opponent.

I doubt it will change many votes, but still read if intrested:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2021/10/29/pathetic-dems-pose-as-white-nationalists-supporting-glenn-youngkin-n2598259
  • Options

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h
    Depends how quickly you can reset your clocks! For our wall-mounted living room clock, I have to grab a chair, stand on it, remove the clock from the wall, and then reset it!
    Ah but then that's just the clock showing the wrong time! The real time is... I think... wholly independent on your living room clock. Unless there's some very weird smallprint in the système international that I am unaware of.
  • Options
    Charles said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

I’m not so sure: they would have been paid by the day but still have been expected to pay a month’s rent…
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h
    Ah but then that's just the clock showing the wrong time! The real time is... I think... wholly independent on your living room clock. Unless there's some very weird smallprint in the système international that I am unaware of.
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h
    You should send that in to the Readers’ Digest. They have a page for people like you.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Charles said:

geoffw said:

Charles said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

Geoff.
    What calendar riots?
    That was the apparent urban myth I was so disappointed by. I had been brought up to believe that there were riots by Englishmen angered by the government “stealing” 11 days when they changed the calendar

Edit: to be fair to my parents, the Encyclopaedia Brittanica stated it as fact as recently as 1976
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,341
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

Foss said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h
    You should send that in to the Readers’ Digest. They have a page for people like you.
    I'm fairly certain they'd sus I'd stolen it from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
  • Options
    If the link would open we might be able to tell you?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,819

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

A courageous approach.

Prince Andrew has sought to turn the tables on the woman accusing him of teenage rape by claiming that she was involved in the “wilful recruitment and trafficking of young girls for sexual abuse”.

In a controversial attempt to prove his innocence, lawyers for the Duke of York have painted Virginia Giuffre as an alleged criminal who worked to procure underage “slutty girls” for Jeffrey Epstein, the paedophile billionaire.

They also indicate that by making false allegations against the prince and using up court time, Giuffre is allowing real predators to get away with their crimes.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-andrew-accuses-virginia-giuffre-of-procuring-slutty-girls-for-sexual-abuse-by-epstein-9zlbk8dwt

You can almost hear the great man himself saying 'slutty girls' with relish.
    Good god. It actually says that in his documents? I thought you were joking

A catastrophic decision
    The whole strategy is courageous.

The way they are trying to get it thrown out just looks awful.

Especially in light of the Prince's previous denials about never meeting her.
    US trial lawyers generally know what they are doing, mad as this looks. Trying to prejudice a jury somewhere down the line?
    They are throwing mud in the hope some of it sticks.

It appears their strategy is to say Virginia Giuffre cannot bring any action because of a prior agreement she had with Epstein.

The prince’s lawyers argue that an out-of-court settlement reached between Giuffre and Epstein in 2009 protects Andrew from any liability. However, a copy of the settlement filed as an exhibit on Friday was completely blacked out.

Let that sink in, Andrew wants the whole thing thrown out because of that, that's going to look awful in the eyes of the public.
    It was not just Andrew Epstein and Maxwell allegedly procured girls for, without that NDA large numbers of celebrities and wealthy individuals would be feeling nervous
    To be fair, t’was ever thus!
    When I were a lad the Yanks at the East Anglian airbases used to send a bus or two down to Southend on a Saturday night to find girls ‘who’d like to go to a party at an air base.’
    Led to fights.
    Sounds rather like the Manchester United footballers "harvesting" the most attractive assistants from shops for their parties. This was 2007.

Several shop assistants from the make-up and handbags section of Selfridges were invited to the United party on Monday night at the Great John Street boutique hotel in the city centre. It was also attended by models, including Louise Cliffe, the one-time Miss Manchester, and others who came from Leeds, Liverpool and London. Events that took place have been unravelled in all their uncomfortable detail in the tabloid press. Yesterday's newspapers brought allegations that a drunk girl took part in an orgy with several men.

The 15-hour party was closed to the players' wives and girlfriends and was reportedly described as "very, very sleazy". Another said girls were being passed around "like pieces of meat".

"The word goes out that a brief has been issued by the party organisers to harvest the shop assistants," said a supervisor at Harvey Nichols in central Manchester. "It will go out here and at Selfridges. They want the girls to be there to decorate the room."

The chosen girls are not paid to attend, but are implicitly expected to entertain the footballers in return for the hospitality they receive and the access to celebrity culture, she said

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/dec/22/football.uknews4
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

geoffw said:

Charles said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

Geoff.
    What calendar riots?
    That was the apparent urban myth I was so disappointed by. I had been brought up to believe that there were riots by Englishmen angered by the government “stealing” 11 days when they changed the calendar

Edit: to be fair to my parents, the Encyclopaedia Brittanica stated it as fact as recently as 1976
    To forestall riots by aggrieved tax payers they postponed the due date by 11 days from Lady Day to 5th April. They intended to adjust it slowly, year by year, but never got around to it.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h
    For the first time ever I agree with Farooq.

The time will go normally 00:59:59 BST -> 01:00:00 BST etc through to 01:59:59 BST and the next second will be 01:00:00 GMT.

So the first time we will see 02:00:00 will be 02:00:00 GMT by which time it will have been GMT for over an hour.

We won't see 02:00:00 BST again until the spring when 00:59:59 GMT is followed the next second by 02:00:00 BST.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,173

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

The time will go normally 00:59:59 BST -> 01:00:00 BST etc through to 01:59:59 BST and the next second will be 01:00:00 GMT.

So the first time we will see 02:00:00 will be 02:00:00 GMT by which time it will have been GMT for over an hour.

We won't see 02:00:00 BST again until the spring when 00:59:59 GMT is followed the next second by 02:00:00 BST.
    I've spent about ten minutes thinking about this one, and I think @Farooq (and you) are absolutely correct.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214
    Unpopular opinion: I don’t like the extra hour. They always say you get an extra hour in bed, but I see it as an extra hour until bedtime on Sunday night.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,259
    MaxPB said:

This Norway to China or Portugal comparison has got to be up there with the most controversial I've ever seen on PB.

Which is strange, because it’s just a silly “fun fact”. Obviously the choice of endpoints is obtuse.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

MattW said:

Out of interest, has anyone listened to much Alistair Cooke on US elections over the years?

I listened to him, but it's the sort of thing I would filter out.

I've much more enjoyed his essays about US politics.

I tried to listen to every edition of Letter from America from the mid-70s as they were broadcast.

Checking, the BBC only have 1572 editions online.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,379
    isam said:

isam said:

Tonight’s Opinium has the lowest number of people they have recorded as saying they approve of the job Sir Keir is doing as LotO

https://www.opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Opinium-Political-Report-25th-October-2021.pdf

Starmer is clearly a dud - though tonight's voting intention figures suggest Labour could poll 38% in an early GE given the 7% Green vote available to be squeezed.
    I think the increase in Green VI is disaffected Corbynites, who hate Sir Keir. I can’t see them rushing back to vote for a form of the Labour Party that they dislike as much as they do Tories. In the past it was easier to allocate them back that way. Maybe it still is, but I think there’s a bigger rift than before between the far left and Centrist Labour
    David's assuming that 40% of Greens will vote Labour tactically - I think that's actually on the low side. I know quite a few in that position and they are indeed Crbynite but they'll nearly all vote Labour in marginals.

The Tories will be slightly disappointed that the Budget has only shifted things by 1 point, and Sunak is also only up 1 despite the adulatory coverage, though his disapproval rating is down 3.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,970
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not disputed by anyone worth listening to as far as I can see.
    Here you go. Some reading

"Asia’s mysterious role in the early origins of humanity
    Bizarre fossils from China are revealing our species' Asian origins and rewriting the story of human evolution"

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23931850-200-asias-mysterious-role-in-the-early-origins-of-humanity/#ixzz7Ao7c52Rr

"An Asian Origin for Human Ancestors?
    Myanmar fossil suggests our earliest predecessors may not have come from Africa"

"Researchers agree that our immediate ancestors, the upright walking apes, arose in Africa. But the discovery of a new primate that lived about 37 million years ago in the ancient swamplands of Myanmar bolsters the idea that the deep primate family tree that gave rise to humans is rooted in Asia. If true, the discovery suggests that the ancestors of all monkeys, apes, and humans—known as the anthropoids—arose in Asia and made the arduous journey to the island continent of Africa almost 40 million years ago."

https://www.science.org/content/article/asian-origin-human-ancestors
    Myanmar isn't a million miles from the submerged Sunda Shelf mentioned upthread.
    If all primates come from Asia then it is highly plausible that these primates evolved into hominids in Asia, at roughly the same time as they evolved into hominids in Africa, and they would be able to interbreed if they met again

No, that’s not at all plausible.

The out of Asia hypothesis you quote is talking about something which might have happened tens of millions of years ago. For there to be any possibility of interbreeding between close species, you’d have to be talking about something much more recent.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Unpopular opinion: I don’t like the extra hour. They always say you get an extra hour in bed, but I see it as an extra hour until bedtime on Sunday night.

LOL!

But of all the days to hate an extra hour of, you hate Sunday?

Are you that excited for Monday instead?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

on topic:

It looks like some Dem supporters in Virginia, has attempted a very ammeter 'false flag' opp, and it has unravelled very quickly, but not before the official Dem campaign had tweeted that is is 'disqualifying' for there opponent.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2021/10/29/pathetic-dems-pose-as-white-nationalists-supporting-glenn-youngkin-n2598259

Townhall claimed that January 6th was a false flag attempt. These people have no credibility.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

BigRich said:

on topic:

Townhall claimed that January 6th was a false flag attempt. These people have no credibility.
    Even the story is laughable. They don't even claim to have evidence those people are Dems. It is embarrassing so many Americans fall for these right wing conspiracies.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    London is closer to Christchurch, New Zealand, than it is to Watford.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited October 2021
    Aslan said:

Aslan said:

BigRich said:

on topic:

Even the story is laughable. They don't even claim to have evidence those people are Dems. It is embarrassing so many Americans fall for these right wing conspiracies.
    Townhall is garbage but I think the Project Lincoln people fessed up to this? Not Dems though, the group is ostensibly Never-Trump Republicans. It's not really clear that they're helpful to the Dems, they draw a lot of attention to themselves and raise a lot of money from Dem supporters, much of which they seem to spend paying themselves consulting fees.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited October 2021
    HYUFD said:
    Did she walk across land and water or fly? ;)
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Aslan said:

Aslan said:

BigRich said:

on topic:

Townhall is garbage but I think the Project Lincoln people fessed up to this? Not Dems though, the group is ostensibly Never-Trump Republicans. It's not really clear that they're helpful to the Dems, they draw a lot of attention to themselves and raise a lot of money from Dem supporters, much of which they seem to spend paying themselves consulting fees.
    Yup, the Lincoln Project has confessed. As you said, the LP are a bunch of pigs at the trough who have realised that allowing yourselves to be portrayed as the “useful idiots” of the GOP can be very lucrative.

Can’t see it changing anything.
  • Options
    Been out looking for northern lights... and wow, what a treat! Very visible, green curtains of light moving. Incredibly clear. It's a breathtaking sight every time and this one was one of the best. Ursa Major was hanging low over the lights, and Orion was clear on the opposite horizon.
    Quite a lot of other people around too. We drove to a remote car park and there were about ten cars there, families etc with cameras. All good clean fun. One of nature's best free gifts.

Considering how much rain there's been this week, and even in the middle of today it was lashing it down. Very lucky the sky cleared for this. Spectacular.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

I've spent about ten minutes thinking about this one, and I think @Farooq (and you) are absolutely correct.
    That's me done for the year, I can go back to being wrong til some point in 2022
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Been out looking for northern lights... and wow, what a treat! Very visible, green curtains of light moving. Incredibly clear. It's a breathtaking sight every time and this one was one of the best. Ursa Major was hanging low over the lights, and Orion was clear on the opposite horizon.
    Quite a lot of other people around too. We drove to a remote car park and there were about ten cars there, families etc with cameras. All good clean fun. One of nature's best free gifts.

Considering how much rain there's been this week, and even in the middle of today it was lashing it down. Very lucky the sky cleared for this. Spectacular.

Ironically, the night the fireworks started.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Yet, as good as the northern lights were here tonight, it was nothing compared to Finland:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN7A_wDTpkA&t=5720s

Wow!

EDIT: 1:36:50... WOAH
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,057
    geoffw said:

MattW said:

Out of interest, has anyone listened to much Alistair Cooke on US elections over the years?

I tried to listen to every edition of Letter from America from the mid-70s as they were broadcast.

I love Letter From America. Didn't know you could listen to them again.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,038
    Pity Dylan Lee. The first pitcher in history to make their first major league start in a World Series game. At age 27 too. And you concede a hit off your very first pitch cos of a poor fielder's throw.
    Followed by a 4 pitch walk. And someone is already warming up to replace you...
    You are about to be a quiz question. ...
    Edit: Impressive strikeout to follow.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Andy_JS said:

geoffw said:

MattW said:

I love Letter From America. Didn't know you could listen to them again.
    Salford Boy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00f6hbp

One thing that always encourages me is that he did not start until he was 38. then did 58 years.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,038
    dixiedean said:

Pity Dylan Lee. The first pitcher in history to make their first major league start in a World Series game. At age 27 too. And you concede a hit off your very first pitch cos of a poor fielder's throw.

dixiedean said:

And another 4 pitch walk. Bases loaded. And you're subbed. 15 pitches.
    Quiz question.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    Did she walk across land and water or fly? ;)
    I think it's quite sad.

Arrived by train and was mobbed.

Will convince that empty yammering is where it's at for progress on the green agenda, when at least in most of Europe we are beyond that.
  • Options
    The last post was made at 01:28 and its now 01:00.

Time travel!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

In the 90s of the first things I had to program at school in my IT classes was a clock. My programming all worked but I got into a disagreement with my teacher not over the nature of my programming, but over the nature of time itself.

I programmed the clock to go from 23:59 to 0:00 - but he was adamant a clock should go from 23:59 to 24:00 to 0:01 and that there was no such minute as 0:00

I'm still adamant to this day that there's no such minute as 24:00 and that 0:00 is correct.
  • Options
    Slow news day: the front pages are all over the shop.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-59106910

Which is good news for the Chancellor because it means the budget has not unravelled. The Sunday papers were always going to be a test, and there is nothing, or at least nothing so serious as to make the front pages.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,057

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

In the 90s of the first things I had to program at school in my IT classes was a clock. My programming all worked but I got into a disagreement with my teacher not over the nature of my programming, but over the nature of time itself.

I programmed the clock to go from 23:59 to 0:00 - but he was adamant a clock should go from 23:59 to 24:00 to 0:01 and that there was no such minute as 0:00

I'm still adamant to this day that there's no such minute as 24:00 and that 0:00 is correct.
    You're right.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Not so.

Yes

The doldrums perhaps?

By great circle?

According to Google:

No, at 0100h

You're right.
    The day ends at 24:00 and begins at 00:00; there is no 24:00:01 but if you are not accounting for seconds...; iirc we used to avoid midnight when scheduling work, and use 23:55 or 00:05. A more interesting question is what happens to tasks scheduled between 1 and 2am: should they be carried out twice (like tonight) when the clocks go back, and not at all when clocks go forward?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,989
    Ah, the biannual moving-the-clocks discussion.

I suggest you all move south a bit, and live somewhere where it’s not needed! < / smug_face >

It’s actually a very noticable difference, that one hour time zone change. It’s the difference between a midweek UK football match finishing at 12:45 local time for me, or finishing at 01:45! The former is just a late night, the latter requires the alarm to be on full blast the following morning.
This discussion has been closed.