Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Keir and loathing in the Labour party – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Chris Loder, a Tory MP, has told a fringe meeting that it would be a good thing to destroy supermarket supply chains, even if it causes short-term problems.

“I think actually one great opportunity we have from the issues we see at the moment is actually for some of these supermarket supply chains to crumble,” Loder, who was first elected MP for West Dorset in 2019, told a fringe meeting on farming at the party’s conference in Manchester, arguing that Brexit was not to blame for the problems. He went on:

I know it might not feel like it in the immediate term. But it is in our mid and long-term interest that these logistics chains do break.

It will mean that the farmer down the street will be able to sell their milk in the village shop like they did decades ago. It is because these commercial predators – that is the supermarkets – have wiped that out and I’d like to see that come back.

https://bit.ly/3a06NUX

I agree. He missed out the bit about warm beers and old ladies cycling to Evensong. Careless oversight.
    That will be next. A guarantee of a community shop, a non chain pub, a church with BCP Eucharist, farming markets and a bobby on the beat in every town and village in this country. The chance for parents to ballot to reopen grammars in their local area if they wish and no excess building in the greenbelt. Elgar wafting across the meadow on summer evenings as local teenagers pick hops and strawberries in the fields and down ginger beer on summer evenings, Miss Marple on the drama channel (Joan Hickson version of course)....
    Shoot. Me. Now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,825
    Charles said:

I just checked my local theatre to see what is going on. Under the Covid guidelines people are asked to remain masked at all times with the exception of the bar/food area. In the theatre there is currently a policy of keeping a space between people. They would also appreciate it if we would take a lateral flow test before visiting.

I know the cinema is something similar in terms of masks etc. I was just wondering how specific to Wales this was or whether it's different in England.

I’ve just been to the cinema in London - no masks to be seen except on the poster asking people to voluntarily wear masks…
    My local Tesco no longer seems to have a 'please wear a mask' sign out front so I didn't bother, though there was a fair number who did.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,236
    Well we all knew more than that from the MoS last night.

Name names! I do hope Richard Burgon, RLB and Lavery are unveiled as Conservative MPs tomorrow. Although they might have second thoughts if they saw Johnson on Marr today.
  • Options

Name names! I do hope Richard Burgon, RLB and Lavery are unveiled as Conservative MPs tomorrow. Although they might have second thoughts if they saw Johnson on Marr today.
    I am very sceptical but I can say with certainty it will not be any of those mps
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,304

Glory be. Just when I thought the average IQ of the PCP couldn’t possibly go lower.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,909

Even the Conservatives have some standards!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Definitions of senior may vary.
    It would be amusing if Burnham was a defector
    Burnham is not an MP....
    Burnham's plan is to get back into the Commons in a safe Labour seat at a by-election later this year, then to challenge Stamer for the leadership, wresting it from him in early 2022, before defecting to the Tories and and winning the Conservative leadership contest in late 2023. He then leads the Tories to a 200 seat majority in 2024.
    That would tick all the boxes for BJO.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Chris Loder, a Tory MP, has told a fringe meeting that it would be a good thing to destroy supermarket supply chains, even if it causes short-term problems.

“I think actually one great opportunity we have from the issues we see at the moment is actually for some of these supermarket supply chains to crumble,” Loder, who was first elected MP for West Dorset in 2019, told a fringe meeting on farming at the party’s conference in Manchester, arguing that Brexit was not to blame for the problems. He went on:

I know it might not feel like it in the immediate term. But it is in our mid and long-term interest that these logistics chains do break.

It will mean that the farmer down the street will be able to sell their milk in the village shop like they did decades ago. It is because these commercial predators – that is the supermarkets – have wiped that out and I’d like to see that come back.

I agree. He missed out the bit about warm beers and old ladies cycling to Evensong. Careless oversight.
    That will be next. A guarantee of a community shop, a non chain pub, a church with BCP Eucharist, farming markets and a bobby on the beat in every town and village in this country. The chance for parents to ballot to reopen grammars in their local area if they wish and no excess building in the greenbelt. Elgar wafting across the meadow on summer evenings as local teenagers pick hops and strawberries in the fields and down ginger beer on summer evenings, Miss Marple on the drama channel (Joan Hickson version of course)....
    Ha! Still missing the frolicking gayily that I would expect. Or at least merry gambolling.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    edited October 2021
    This will be news to many who have spent 18 months assuring me of the opposite:

"Amid mounting pressure, Ardern has said her strategy was never to have zero cases"

https://twitter.com/anapecalleddave/status/1444654521360297989?s=21
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Ha! Still missing the frolicking gayily that I would expect. Or at least merry gambolling.
    There will be no "frolicking gaily" in our brave new return to the 1950s
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Shoot. Me. Now.
    That's the step after the imposition of that pastiche of rural England onto the masses.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

It would be a bit queer if there was.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Even the Conservatives have some standards!
    That might be worse, as it shows the lowest level of duffers were deemed acceptable, rather than sneaking in because there was no cut off.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Definitions of senior may vary.
    It would be amusing if Burnham was a defector
    Burnham is not an MP....
    Burnham's plan is to get back into the Commons in a safe Labour seat at a by-election later this year, then to challenge Stamer for the leadership, wresting it from him in early 2022, before defecting to the Tories and and winning the Conservative leadership contest in late 2023. He then leads the Tories to a 200 seat majority in 2024.
    He can't though.

The moment he becomes an MP he ceases to be Mayor of Manchester.

It is the law.
    I think that is the least of the problems with my scenario.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,599
    tlg86 said:

Anyone back the 80-1 winner of the Arc?

Noah.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Does anyone know what "political message" was scrawled on Tulip Siddiq's vandalised car? I need to know whether it was my side or the other side before I condemn/ignore it. Thanks.

Yes, the news was very coy about the content

If it had been basic racism surely they would have said, and it would be bigger news?

Was it internal Labour slanging? I don't know what side she is on, within the party. Or something to do with trans/LGB issues - she has asked questions in the House about "conversion therapy" -

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2020-09-23/94503
    Isn’t her aunt senior in Bangladeshi politics? So maybe something regional/Rohinga etc?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,234
    malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC Breaking:

Petrol problems "virtually over" in Scotland, northern England, and the Midlands - but issues persist in the South East, say retailers

Higher population density in the south-east?
    More greedy selfish people as well
    Civic Nationalism... Absolutely not racist, no suree...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Glory be. Just when I thought the average IQ of the PCP couldn’t possibly go lower.
    As some unkind wag once observed a defection that had “raised the average IQs of both parliamentary parties”..
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Off topic. Some horrible reports about a 15 year old who has died from Covid before getting her jab. Raises the question - did they JCVI kill Jorja?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    MattW said:

tlg86 said:

Anyone back the 80-1 winner of the Arc?

Noah.
    Top jockey. Good with the rains.
  • Options
    The Truss has proclaimed that a trade deal with the US is really only of negligible importance. So that's all right then. But I do remember the tears that were shed on here when Obama said we wouldn't be getting one.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Does anyone know what "political message" was scrawled on Tulip Siddiq's vandalised car? I need to know whether it was my side or the other side before I condemn/ignore it. Thanks.

Yes, the news was very coy about the content

If it had been basic racism surely they would have said, and it would be bigger news?

Was it internal Labour slanging? I don't know what side she is on, within the party. Or something to do with trans/LGB issues - she has asked questions in the House about "conversion therapy" -

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2020-09-23/94503
    Isn’t her aunt senior in Bangladeshi politics? So maybe something regional/Rohinga etc?
    She's the niece of Sheikh Hasina apparently, who has been PM of Bangladesh for 17 years.

Interestingly it seems like the top of Bangladeshi politics has been dominated by Hasina and her rival, also a woman, since the early 90s. Don't tell the Taliban it is possible.
  • Options

Off topic. Some horrible reports about a 15 year old who has died from Covid before getting her jab. Raises the question - did they JCVI kill Jorja?

Yes.

All those 'scientists' who knew the vaccine protected teenagers and the benefits outweighed any risk but wanted to prioritise sending vaccines to the rest of the world couldn't greenlight the vaccine go-ahead have her blood on their hands.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Absolute state of this.

Johnson's Marr train wreck alluded to this unicorn too. I just thought it was Johnson winging it, but it looks like copper-bottomed policy. God help us.

Any chance of a thread header?
    Turns out when I resigned my Conservative Party membership in 2019 I was the last free market Conservative.
    Ahem! 😕

I was still there until a couple of weeks ago. And I 100% disagree with the quoted passage, it's insanity.
    TBF it might make a nice intro to a pastiche Sunday afternoon tv show
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

No
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited October 2021
    isam said:

Absolute state of this.

Johnson's Marr train wreck alluded to this unicorn too. I just thought it was Johnson winging it, but it looks like copper-bottomed policy. God help us.

Not until we've had the one about the non Conference bounce from Opinium - wait your turn
    Is that all you got Izzy, a wrongly spun story of polling, each time someone is trying to explain to you how the rudderless Tories are losing the debate?

The true story of the polling is how it is relentlessly and irresistibly closing, the Tory’s fading, the Labour vote firming up, with plenty more time to go yet.

Tick tock. 😄
  • Options
    Farooq said:

No
    If she’d had the jab three weeks earlier she might have survived.
  • Options

The Truss has proclaimed that a trade deal with the US is really only of negligible importance. So that's all right then. But I do remember the tears that were shed on here when Obama said we wouldn't be getting one.

That's odd but I don't recall a single tear being shed.

I do recall anger at the US President thinking it was his prerogative to interfere in UK politics - and an opinion that it didn't matter what the US President said, we should do the right thing for the UK.

Truss's statement is entirely consistent with that.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

If she's already dead then she had it well before the JCVI decision could have gone the other way, so even leaving the ridiculous premise of your question untouched, the answer is no.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    gealbhan said:

isam said:

Absolute state of this.

Not until we've had the one about the non Conference bounce from Opinium - wait your turn
    Is that all you got Izzy, a wrongly spun story of polling, each time someone is trying to explain to you how the rudderless Tories are losing the debate?

The true story of the polling is how it is relentlessly and irresistibly closing, the Tory’s fading, the Labour vote firming up, with plenty more time to go yet.

Tick tock. 😄
    That next exit poll is going to break you......
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

If she's already dead then she had it well before the JCVI decision could have gone the other way, so even leaving the ridiculous premise of your question untouched, the answer is no.
    She died this week I think. The jcvi could have authorised use months ago, but didn’t.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

isam said:

Absolute state of this.

Tick tock. 😄
    I seem to recall someone else repeatedly writing "tick tock" in the past. Remind me how that went? 🤔
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Was out for a walk earlier and came across some anti-vaccine materials stuck on a bus stop right outside a school, so decided to deface them as best I could. Yeah, free speech and all, but whatever, screw 'em.

A while back we found a homeopathic alternatives to vaccination book in a help yourself location (old phone box). I burned that book. Felt odd doing it, but I believe it was dangerous.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,599
    edited October 2021

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Brilliant.
    Interesting how much of that is the Green party manifesto, isn't it?
    It's what huge amounts of the farming media and politicians have been chugging on about for years and years, and more in the pandemic. Food and farming awards.

Localism, food miles, traceability.

The Greens have been trying to mug us for subsidies for hobby farmers for as long.

I don't see the need to destroy supermarkets to create it though; seems to be happening perfectly well anyway.

Trust me; I listen to Farming Today.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

maaarsh said:

She died this week I think. The jcvi could have authorised use months ago, but didn’t.
    Equally there will have been avoidable deaths in the over 80s cohort who had their second dose more than 6 months ago, thanks to the dillydallying approach to approving boosters.
  • Options

That's odd but I don't recall a single tear being shed.

I do recall anger at the US President thinking it was his prerogative to interfere in UK politics - and an opinion that it didn't matter what the US President said, we should do the right thing for the UK.

Truss's statement is entirely consistent with that.
    Anger at being given advice that turned out to be completely correct? Cantankerous or what!
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2021
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Indeed, the MHRA authorised it months ago. We finished opening up to over 18s months ago. Other nations started months ago.

There was no justification for the JCVI's prevarication. I hope all of those JCVI 'scientists' who prioritised sending vaccines abroad wasted months are hanging their heads in shame.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Anyway, play nice. Many hours of Redzone beckons....
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600
    I love the heading to this thread but I am not sure about the dig at Diane Abbott; her privately-educated son has had tragic mental health problem. Diane herself was educated at a state grammar school.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    kle4 said:

Was out for a walk earlier and came across some anti-vaccine materials stuck on a bus stop right outside a school, so decided to deface them as best I could. Yeah, free speech and all, but whatever, screw 'em.

You never want to see a neutral get angry.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

But faggots will be back on the menu.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Ascribing particular deaths to particular individuals or groups is always controversial.

however the decition to not allow kids to take the vaccine, like the delay to the disitions for 17-18 year olds and the distion not to use AZ on the under 40s have all let to more than necessary infection and transmition, while the people directly affected are unlikely to die, at least in large numbers, the grater the number of infections the more old, and sick people will catch it, secondary infection. and hence the much larger then necessary number of deaths over the last 3 months.

there are 3 strategies that could have been taken:

1) Vaccinate everybody, including kids as soon as possible.

2) Vaccinate ASAP down to a set age, 16, 18, maybe even 25, and then send all remaining vaccines to the other nations. at least till every nation in the would has enough to vaccinate all over 60s or something similar.

3) let the vaccines pile up in a ware house, have a good long think about it while not using them and then decide to vaccinate after many have already had COVID and arguable we are at heard immunity.

I could get behind ether 1 or 2. but 3 was/is to be the worst possible plan.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

But faggots will be back on the menu.
    Well, that would be truly offal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

That will be next. A guarantee of a community shop, a pub, a church with BCP Eucharist, farming markets and a bobby on the beat in every town and village in this country. The chance for parents to ballot to reopen grammars in their local area if they wish and no excess building in the greenbelt. Elgar wafting across the meadow on summer evenings as local teenages pick hops in the fields and down ginger beer on summer evenings, Miss Marple on the drama channel (Joan Hickson version of course)....
    HYUFD, are you actually being sarcastically critical of..... The Tory Party?!
    No, that is my dream Tory Party
    Oh.

I thought you were being wonderfully satirical.
    It's when one can't tell the difference that one really has to worry.

Yet look more closely,, all the intervention needed to interfere with the free market to produce that image.
    Of course.

People watching football, and not cricket. Tax football! Subsidise cricket.

People not going to the right kind of church. Close it down.

And God forbid anyone should think of remaking Miss Marple. That would require specific legislation. It might even deserve to be a capital crime.
    I would certainly encourage more cricket, certainly in the summer.

I have no problem with other non Anglican churches as long as there is still a Church of England church in every Parish offering a BCP service.

However my goodness I agree remakes of Miss Marple since Joan Hickson have been nothing short of heretical
    Well, the last sentence does at least demonstrate you have excellent taste in TV.
    ..and Joan Hickson was no Margaret Rutherford.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

That will be next. A guarantee of a community shop, a pub, a church with BCP Eucharist, farming markets and a bobby on the beat in every town and village in this country. The chance for parents to ballot to reopen grammars in their local area if they wish and no excess building in the greenbelt. Elgar wafting across the meadow on summer evenings as local teenages pick hops in the fields and down ginger beer on summer evenings, Miss Marple on the drama channel (Joan Hickson version of course)....
    Oh.

Yet look more closely,, all the intervention needed to interfere with the free market to produce that image.
    Of course.

And God forbid anyone should think of remaking Miss Marple. That would require specific legislation. It might even deserve to be a capital crime.

I have no problem with other non Anglican churches as long as there is still a Church of England church in every Parish offering a BCP service.

However my goodness I agree remakes of Miss Marple since Joan Hickson have been nothing short of heretical
    The danger of both Hickson’s and Suchet’s canonical depiction of Marple and Poirot is that nothing can ever be better. And thus we see Marple sexed up (worldly in a different way to the original idea, where Marple knows the world because she knows the village so well, and everything in the world is seen in village life. Or Poirot as itv recently did. You cannot just remake them, you have to be different, and for me, don’t bother.
    Likewise Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes, who has since had to be reimagined into 21st Century London or New York, or as a doctor in House.
    Jeremy Brett was THE definitive film/tv portrayal of Sherlock Holmes. The rest before - and after - do NOT measure up.

Was particularly unimpressed by Benedict Cumberback's efforts. Don't know if it was him or the writing - likely both.

PLUS the fact he ain't in Jeremy Brett's league. But them, as Sherlock, who is?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    SandraMc said:

I love the heading to this thread but I am not sure about the dig at Diane Abbott; her privately-educated son has had tragic mental health problem. Diane herself was educated at a state grammar school.

I've got loads of sympathy for people with mental health problems.

People who have mental health problems, and are allegedly users of crystal meth, are due a lot less sympathy IMO. It'd be interesting to know what came first in his case: the drugs or the mental illness.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

It was more of a reference to myself, a former privately educated chap.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Well, the last sentence does at least demonstrate you have excellent taste in TV.
    Indeed no, which is why she was so much better in the role. With due respect to a brilliant actress, Margaret Rutherford was completely miscast as Marple.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Defacing or (better yet) taking down posters tacked up at bus stops (elsewhere for that matter) is itself free speech.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

maaarsh said:

Equally there will have been avoidable deaths in the over 80s cohort who had their second dose more than 6 months ago, thanks to the dillydallying approach to approving boosters.
    My wife and I have ours on 11 October
  • Options
    edited October 2021

gealbhan said:

isam said:

Absolute state of this.

Tick tock. 😄
    I seem to recall someone else repeatedly writing "tick tock" in the past. Remind me how that went? 🤔
    It doesn’t matter how you tick tock, but the climate you tick tock in.

If Labour keep up the dialogue with lost red wall voters they started last week, it’s going to make the next exit poll very interesting.

If the Torys continue what they have started this week, clueless about how they take forward all the issues the Government own, it is going to make the next exit poll very interesting.

You think polling is very very bad for Labour? They only have to have a 2% lead in that exit poll and it will be very interesting.

Anyway, I’m talking about a sea change narrative that’s clearly going on, which the polling trend is actually supporting.

But Tories knew this was coming eventually, that you couldn’t ride the raft for ever?
  • Options

SandraMc said:

It was more of a reference to myself, a former privately educated chap.
    And of course a well targeted dig at the "university" in Cambridgeshire attended by Mrs A and her son.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Hickson easily was the definitive Marple, honourable mention goes to Julia Mckenzie, Geraldine McEwan was ill-served by script writers and Margaret Rutherford just replayed Madame Arcati…
  • Options
    buffed up by spin doctors and speech writers, Truss was far better than I thought she would be - just merely abysmal, instantly forgettable so no fun at all.

The fact she just can’t deliver a decent speech, does it count against her as being in running with a chance of leader? I think it probably does.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Defacing or (better yet) taking down posters tacked up at bus stops (elsewhere for that matter) is itself free speech.
    Unfortunately they were so well stuck down I couldn't just rip them off, I had to scrape off the batsh*t text and contact details.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Unfortunately they were so well stuck down I couldn't just rip them off, I had to scrape off the batsh*t text and contact details.
    Thus exercising YOUR right of free speech.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

The danger of both Hickson’s and Suchet’s canonical depiction of Marple and Poirot is that nothing can ever be better. And thus we see Marple sexed up (worldly in a different way to the original idea, where Marple knows the world because she knows the village so well, and everything in the world is seen in village life. Or Poirot as itv recently did. You cannot just remake them, you have to be different, and for me, don’t bother.
    Likewise Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes, who has since had to be reimagined into 21st Century London or New York, or as a doctor in House.
    Jeremy Brett was THE definitive film/tv portrayal of Sherlock Holmes. The rest before - and after - do NOT measure up.

Was particularly unimpressed by Benedict Cumberback's efforts. Don't know if it was him or the writing - likely both.

John Wood. Brett was too hammy.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I don't think it is. Not criticising what he did, but how is it different from censorship?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Disgusting. Some people are just really vile. What loathsome person would out disinformation like that out to try and make children ill?

There are no flies on my boss and I’ve no doubt she’s already on the alert for such things, but I’ll keep my eyes open as well.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

I think pretty much anyone who wanted to defect would be refused as they ate all bozos. RLB defection.. I think the Borg would have assimilated us by the time that happens (and if she is still alive.). Sector 001 needs to be careful
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

isam said:

Absolute state of this.

Tick tock. 😄

If Labour keep up the dialogue with lost red wall voters they started last week, it’s going to make the next exit poll very interesting.

If the Torys continue what they have started this week, clueless about how they take forward all the issues the Government own, it is going to make the next exit poll very interesting.

You think polling is very very bad for Labour? They only have to have a 2% lead in that exit poll and it will be very interesting.

Anyway, I’m talking about a sea change narrative that’s clearly going on, which the polling trend is actually supporting.

But Tories knew this was coming eventually, that you couldn’t ride the raft for ever?
    Ex Tory bur what sea change? A sea change would be a mid-term 20 point poll lead. Not a mid-term poll deficit.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Peter Cushing for me. Honourable mention for Douglas Wilmer.
  • Options

In God We Truss
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,019
    Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC Breaking:

Petrol problems "virtually over" in Scotland, northern England, and the Midlands - but issues persist in the South East, say retailers

Higher population density in the south-east?
    More greedy selfish people as well
    Civic Nationalism... Absolutely not racist, no suree...
    You are right they have that as well
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205
    gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Brett was excellent in the role although the later episodes, everything after The Creeping Man, were nigh on dismal. The early Brett Holmes were as good as any.

Peter Cushing and Douglas Wilmer we’re both excellent in the role. All of their BBC Holmes work is available on DVD too.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Peter Cushing for me. Honourable mention for Douglas Wilmer.
    Yes, agree on both. Both excellent.
  • Options
    Benedict Cumberbatch was the best Sherlock Holmes.

Johnny Lee Miller a close second.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Brett was brilliant as Holmes - the 'hammy' aspect seemed to match the books IMO. Holmes always seemed to have a sense of the theatric.

I do wonder if Brett's bipolar disorder and other tragic malaises gave his performances a very Holmesian aspect as well. The Holmes of the books was frequently not a very well man - although most of his malaises were of his own making - starving himself, not caring for himself, opium addictions etc.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

isam said:

Absolute state of this.

Tick tock. 😄

Ex Tory bur what sea change? A sea change would be a mid-term 20 point poll lead. Not a mid-term poll deficit.
    That’s where you are deluded. Labour can easily go from here to a 2 point lead in that exit poll.

The governments that tend to get swingback tend to be competent.

And as OGH keeps saying over and over to you without you listening, a particular and historically unique set of circumstances - lack of trust in Labour and dislike for its leader - created the 2019 result.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Hickson easily was the definitive Marple, honourable mention goes to Julia Mckenzie, Geraldine McEwan was ill-served by script writers and Margaret Rutherford just replayed Madame Arcati…
    Margaret Rutherford definitely had the best theme tune. It's echoing round my head as I type, which is a blessed relief because yesterday my brain was in thrall to Simon Smith And His Amazing Dancing Bear.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Brett was brilliant as Holmes - the 'hammy' aspect seemed to match the books IMO. Holmes always seemed to have a sense of the theatric.

I do wonder if Brett's bipolar disorder and other tragic malaises gave his performances a very Holmesian aspect as well. The Holmes of the books was frequently not a very well man - although most of his malaises were of his own making - starving himself, not caring for himself, opium addictions etc.
    The point of Holmes portrayal, not just in performance, but the writing, is not to shatter the perception of a genius in whom scientific curiosity is raised to the status of a heroic passion. If in writing for Holmes or acting him you to try to bring out and show other sides of him, it’s nots going to work, because it won’t be Holmes.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Taz said:

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Brett was excellent in the role although the later episodes, everything after The Creeping Man, were nigh on dismal. The early Brett Holmes were as good as any.

Peter Cushing and Douglas Wilmer we’re both excellent in the role. All of their BBC Holmes work is available on DVD too.
    Honourable mention for Tom Baker’s Holmes pastiche in Dr Who, the talons of Weng Chiang.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

On topic, I haven't scrolled through the comments yet but one good bet might be Graham Stringer - obviously pro-Brexit, not a natural fit generally for the increasingly woke Labour party, sits for a seat that is pro-Brexit (and where the neighbouring Heywood and Middleton went Tory). Not sure his relationship with Burnham but I haven't seen anything that suggests they are close.

Also - of an age where he's unlikely to run again.
    Would be a big coup for the Conservatives as well - he is not a nobody, he is an ex-leader of Manchester City Council, still commands a lot of respect in the constituency / City and is well known through Greater Manchester. He is the sort of defection that could have a ripple effect in neighbouring constituencies.
    A significant Jewish community in his constituency.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I don't think it is. Not criticising what he did, but how is it different from censorship?
    Censorship is typically done by government or organisations, but I did acknowledge it was potentially impact their speech. But there's always been limitations on speech anyway.

Besides, there's unlikely to be a right to vandalise a bus stop - if you graffiti a slogan on something it can be washed off, if you put up a poster someone can take it down.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    kle4 said:

I approve this tale - good on you.

Though I did find it rather reminiscent of Theresa May, who was asked what the naughtiest thing she ever did was, and responded 'running through fields of wheat when I was a child', or something like that.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPpYDHQVp9c
  • Options

Couldn't get into Sherlock, much as I like the Cumberbatch. Couldn't buy his dynamic with Watson.
  • Options

In God We Truss
    Good God - not Truss 🤣
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,019

Peter Cushing and Basil Rathbone were streets ahead of him.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Though I did find it rather reminiscent of Theresa May, who was asked what the naughtiest thing she ever did was, and responded 'running through fields of wheat when I was a child', or something like that.
    At least she now has a more plausible answer: calling an unnecessary general election.
  • Options

As Sherlock Holmes, Benedict Cumberbatch is a bush-league version of Basil Rathbone: a 3rd-rate imitation of a 2nd-rate performance.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714

Apart from Jeremy Brett.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    I thought a US trade deal was one of the big Brexit prizes . So looks like another vote leave promise bites the dust . In other news the government says it’s not responsible for any food supply issues and the free market should just deal with it. From the same government whose so called trade deal is a major factor in those supply issues .
  • Options

kle4 said:

I shall endeavour to develop some more noteworthy sins in future.
  • Options
    Best Holmes? Christopher Plummer surely.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

The point of Holmes portrayal, not just in performance, but the writing, is not to shatter the perception of a genius in whom scientific curiosity is raised to the status of a heroic passion. If in writing for Holmes or acting him you to try to bring out and show other sides of him, it’s nots going to work, because it won’t be Holmes.
    I disagree. ;) 'Scientific curiosity' is just one aspect of the Holmes of the books: he is a much deeper character than that. As for the theatrics: all the disguises he uses.

I'd actually say your statement fits Mycroft better.
  • Options

Taz said:

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Honourable mention for Tom Baker’s Holmes pastiche in Dr Who, the talons of Weng Chiang.

Li H’Sen Chang was pretty much Fu Manchu too

And our Tom played Sherlock Holmes in an average version of Hound of the Baskervilles in which Caroline John, who was a companion of the third Doctor, also appeared.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

But none of that happens. Starving himself would be Mrs Hudson falling down on the job, he takes cocaine and morphine when bored but is not an addict - he is only pretending to be one when W finds him in an opium den.
  • Options
    Although I have never seen them the Russian Sherlock Holmes are held in very high regard and many seem to rate them as the best. Or some of the best.

https://www.sherlock-holmes.org.uk/conan-doyle/television/the-russian-tv-films/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,044

A take nearly as wrong as "pineapple is great on pizza" or "Radiohead are a great band"
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I thought a US trade deal was one of the big Brexit prizes . So looks like another vote leave promise bites the dust . In other news the government says it’s not responsible for any food supply issues and the free market should just deal with it. From the same government whose so called trade deal is a major factor in those supply issues .

Somewhat moot if they join CPTPP.
  • Options
    For everyone who likes Holmes I’d really recommend J G Reeder by Edgar Wallace. Hugh Burden played him in two series on ITV in the very early seventies. Sublime.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

I disagree. ;) 'Scientific curiosity' is just one aspect of the Holmes of the books: he is a much deeper character than that. As for the theatrics: all the disguises he uses.

I could say citation needed for the depth. Instead I will compromise. If we can agree, Holmes can’t function in his chosen mode of professionalism if he gives emotion a stronghold?
  • Options

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Actually he makes the most impassioned defence of scientific incuriosity in all literature, when Watson tells him the earth goes round the sun, and he says he never knew that, and will do his best to forget it. He is only interested in detecting.
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico679 said:

Somewhat moot if they join CPTPP.
    Somewhat moot It’s any easier to join CPTPP. Government only floated the idea for a few hours, so media would lead on CPTPP excitement not lack of US trade deal, before government squashed the possibility themselves.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

But none of that happens. Starving himself would be Mrs Hudson falling down on the job, he takes cocaine and morphine when bored but is not an addict - he is only pretending to be one when W finds him in an opium den.
    He did voluntarily inflict ‘the Devils Foot’ Fumes on himself As part,of trying to solve that case. The consequences could have been dire
  • Options
    wf1954wf1954 Posts: 15

moonshine said:

maaarsh said:

My wife and I have ours on 11 October
    My wife and I are 66. We had our second jabs 11 April, we have our boosters booked for 11 October so 6 months exactly. So no dillydallying I think?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556

Guido a bit unconvincing. If he has information about a senior Labour MP from someone who happened to see the person it isn't confidential but he names no names. This story isn't standing up ATM.

This discussion has been closed.