Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Keir and loathing in the Labour party – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    The last 20 mins of football by City is some of the best I have ever seen
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    Carnyx said:

We are stuck behind a Sunday driver trying to get the car home before the battery dies after our alternating belt failed.

Why are Sunday drivers so crap at driving? 50kph on a 100kph is infuriating.

What you need is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsI3fHUOlQM

this guys phone number
    But those must be blanks he's firing. No way could he hold it like that, the recoil on those Tyrannosaurus guns.

He's probably pretending to fire at a Tamiya Panzer.
    The theory I have heard is that he is firing reduced power rounds with just enough punch to cycle the action.

Blanks wouldn't work without a rather obvious blank adapter, surely?
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Anyways. None of this comment alters the fact that Graham Stringer stated dyslexia was made up. And that he was talking utter bollocks. The rest is whataboutery.

The Guardian seem happy to publish a piece suggesting that it’s a distinction without difference.
    I was ready to scoff at the statement that "dyslexia was made up" assuming that it was a clearly identifiable neurological impairment of the ability to perceive words. Did a bit of googling and read these https://ila.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/rrq.333 https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02873/full along with an article putting the "conventional" viewpoint http://www.ldonline.org/article/14907/. At the very least there is little agreement on definitions so Stringer's view that the term is covering up bad teaching practices isn't to be dismissed out of hand it seems, stated a bit dogmatically though.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    edited October 2021
    ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Chris Loder, a Tory MP, has told a fringe meeting that it would be a good thing to destroy supermarket supply chains, even if it causes short-term problems.

“I think actually one great opportunity we have from the issues we see at the moment is actually for some of these supermarket supply chains to crumble,” Loder, who was first elected MP for West Dorset in 2019, told a fringe meeting on farming at the party’s conference in Manchester, arguing that Brexit was not to blame for the problems. He went on:

I know it might not feel like it in the immediate term. But it is in our mid and long-term interest that these logistics chains do break.

It will mean that the farmer down the street will be able to sell their milk in the village shop like they did decades ago. It is because these commercial predators – that is the supermarkets – have wiped that out and I’d like to see that come back.

https://bit.ly/3a06NUX

I agree. He missed out the bit about warm beers and old ladies cycling to Evensong. Careless oversight.
    Your Morris Minor Traveller will need a service every 3000 miles too, so more work for the local mechanic, and the local carpenter.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Chris Loder, a Tory MP, has told a fringe meeting that it would be a good thing to destroy supermarket supply chains, even if it causes short-term problems.

“I think actually one great opportunity we have from the issues we see at the moment is actually for some of these supermarket supply chains to crumble,” Loder, who was first elected MP for West Dorset in 2019, told a fringe meeting on farming at the party’s conference in Manchester, arguing that Brexit was not to blame for the problems. He went on:

I know it might not feel like it in the immediate term. But it is in our mid and long-term interest that these logistics chains do break.

It will mean that the farmer down the street will be able to sell their milk in the village shop like they did decades ago. It is because these commercial predators – that is the supermarkets – have wiped that out and I’d like to see that come back.

I agree. He missed out the bit about warm beers and old ladies cycling to Evensong. Careless oversight.
    That will be next. A guarantee of a community shop, a pub, a church with BCP Eucharist, farming markets and a bobby on the beat in every town and village in this country. The chance for parents to ballot to reopen grammars in their local area if they wish and no excess building in the greenbelt. Elgar wafting across the meadow on summer evenings as local teenages pick hops in the fields and down ginger beer on summer evenings, Miss Marple on the drama channel (Joan Hickson version of course)....
    HYUFD, are you actually being sarcastically critical of..... The Tory Party?!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

That will be next. A guarantee of a community shop, a pub, a church with BCP Eucharist, farming markets and a bobby on the beat in every town and village in this country. The chance for parents to ballot to reopen grammars in their local area if they wish and no excess building in the greenbelt. Elgar wafting across the meadow on summer evenings as local teenages pick hops in the fields and down ginger beer on summer evenings, Miss Marple on the drama channel (Joan Hickson version of course)....
    It's the 2024 manifesto :o
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

No, that is my dream Tory Party
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Fishing said:

eek said:

Fpt

Fishing said:

tlg86 said:

The message I got from the Boris interview is that the government are actively creating inflation. Higher wages,higher taxes on employment, companies, lots of new taxes, more spending by government.

This would also indicate higher interest rates.

Will this hit prior to the next general election?

I might have missed it, but your point - a very reasonable one - was not raised by Marr. It’s almost as though the media have forgotten about monetary policy.
    I think the country as a whole has forgotten the economic lessons that Mrs Thatcher taught it very painfully in the 1980s, not just monetary policy, but also supply side. In particular, the only way to prosperity is higher productivity, and the best way to higher productivity is competitive markets.

Partly it's a generational thing, partly it's a very left wing academic establishment and broadcast media, and partly it's an increased focus on trivia like trans rights or statues ffs.

Either way, we'll have to have a new Mrs Thatcher in a few years, when our decline, as opposed to stagnation, becomes even more obvious than it already is.
    Outr lack of productivity has limit level to do with politics.

A combination of short sightedness (3 -12 months profit growth requirements) made cheap imported Labour a safer choice than investment in productivity improvements.
    I agree to some extent, but that's only one of a large number of factors, many interlinked and many to do with government

- insufficient competition
    - poor infrastructure
    - poor skills and training
    - too much regulation
    - high taxation
    - barriers to entry
    - etc. etc.

A government will have to address all of those and more and offend many interest groups in the process.
    Exactly.

And no one has ever sufficiently explained why it was that German and Swiss companies, which had access to exactly that same supply of cheap labour, did invest.
  • Options

Absolute state of this.

Johnson's Marr train wreck alluded to this unicorn too. I just thought it was Johnson winging it, but it looks like copper-bottomed policy. God help us.

Any chance of a thread header?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    Scott_xP said:

I’m in America and it’s very interesting how news about the UK is reported without the bias of British newspapers or the nervousness of the BBC. Britain’s petrol crisis is a direct consequence of Brexit - this is just an accepted fact everywhere (except where it’s happening).
    https://twitter.com/mrjohnofarrell/status/1444658507987492867

A German friend contacted me to ask how I was coping with the empty supermarket shelves. Told him it wasn't as bad as what he knew in East Germany.

I think he was discombobulated by that response.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Your Morris Minor Traveller will need a service every 3000 miles too, so more work for the local mechanic, and the local carpenter.
    Also public punishments, 5 minute trials (OK, one day for complex murder), stocks, pillory, hanging and burning at the stake to save money on courts and prisons.

And Latin and Greek only languages permitted in schools.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Andy_JS said:

BBC Breaking:

Petrol problems "virtually over" in Scotland, northern England, and the Midlands - but issues persist in the South East, say retailers

Higher population density in the south-east?
    More greedy selfish people as well
  • Options

Absolute state of this.

Johnson's Marr train wreck alluded to this unicorn too. I just thought it was Johnson winging it, but it looks like copper-bottomed policy. God help us.

Turns out when I resigned my Conservative Party membership in 2019 I was the last free market Conservative.
  • Options
    isam said:

The last 20 mins of football by City is some of the best I have ever seen

I was torn then. I had laid 0-0 at half time on Betfair ... Whoops! But as a Liverpool fan I was kind of relieved it was 0-0 at half time.
  • Options

Absolute state of this.

Not until we've had the one about the non Conference bounce from Opinium - wait your turn
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Scott_xP said:

I’m in America and it’s very interesting how news about the UK is reported without the bias of British newspapers or the nervousness of the BBC. Britain’s petrol crisis is a direct consequence of Brexit - this is just an accepted fact everywhere (except where it’s happening).
    https://twitter.com/mrjohnofarrell/status/1444658507987492867

Except that a lot of the US media is biased because, in their minds, Brexit and Trumpism is inevitably linked and so Brexit is inherently "bad". Try and find a pro-Brexit or even balanced piece in either the NYT or LA Times on Brexit.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Broad church v narrow sect. Starmer gets it, the don't buy The Sun cult don't.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Sir Keir last year -sticking up for Jezza and distancing himself from the Currant Bun - how things change

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1444404554632679439?s=20
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    Turns out Andy Street declined to participate in the conference debate he was scheduled to take part in because it was an all male panel.
  • Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,584
    edited October 2021
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

That will be next. A guarantee of a community shop, a non chain pub, a church with BCP Eucharist, farming markets and a bobby on the beat in every town and village in this country. The chance for parents to ballot to reopen grammars in their local area if they wish and no excess building in the greenbelt. Elgar wafting across the meadow on summer evenings as local teenagers pick hops and strawberries in the fields and down ginger beer on summer evenings, Miss Marple on the drama channel (Joan Hickson version of course)....
    Excellent; poetic in comparison to your more functional polling posts.

But you have omitted one essential. Cricket - the sound of leather on willow.
  • Options

Absolute state of this.

Turns out when I resigned my Conservative Party membership in 2019 I was the last free market Conservative.
    Ahem! 😕

I was still there until a couple of weeks ago. And I 100% disagree with the quoted passage, it's insanity.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

That will be next. A guarantee of a community shop, a non chain pub, a church with BCP Eucharist, farming markets and a bobby on the beat in every town and village in this country. The chance for parents to ballot to reopen grammars in their local area if they wish and no excess building in the greenbelt. Elgar wafting across the meadow on summer evenings as local teenagers pick hops and strawberries in the fields and down ginger beer on summer evenings, Miss Marple on the drama channel (Joan Hickson version of course)....
    When I lived in both Wythall (Worcs) and Cradley (Herefordshire) we had bell ringing practice for Sunday on Wednesday evenings. True, the bells have gone from St. Mary's Wythall as it is now an office, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Just the hanging and flogging and the dream is complete.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Turns out Andy Street declined to participate in the conference debate he was scheduled to take part in because it was an all male panel.

Couldn’t they have nominated an honorary female?
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    edited October 2021
    tlg86 said:

Couldn’t they have nominated an honorary female?
    Couldn't he have self ID'd as one?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Brilliant.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

We are stuck behind a Sunday driver trying to get the car home before the battery dies after our alternating belt failed.

What you need is

this guys phone number
    But those must be blanks he's firing. No way could he hold it like that, the recoil on those Tyrannosaurus guns.

The theory I have heard is that he is firing reduced power rounds with just enough punch to cycle the action.

I thought for a moment it was single shot only but I was thinking of the contemporary competitor, the PTRD. The PTRS is gas operated and semiautomatic working off the barrel gases, and there is a manual gas regulator with three settings. Not recoil operated, but would there be enough pressure long enough?

What I'm wondering is if therre is an exercise round with a frangible or wooden bullet and, as you say, reduced propellant load. Or just blanks.

But my book on A/T rifles has hidden itself. Annoyingly this is out of print in book form else I would have got a copy by now and look it up - it's something that looks rather interesting:

http://www.russianammo.org/
  • Options
    UK Hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    Age related data scaled to 100K

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

I thought you were being wonderfully satirical.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Brilliant.
    Sounds a bit like where I have just moved to! And we get IPSOS-MORI door knockers too!!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,584

Bloody woke Tories.
  • Options
    isam said:

Absolute state of this.

Not until we've had the one about the non Conference bounce from Opinium - wait your turn
    Surely this one comes close. So to help you along, why was there no Conference bounce for Starmer? Delete as applicable:
    a) Starmer is rubbish,
    b) the Labour Party are rubbish,
    c) Wayne Couzens hijacked the news agenda,
    d) Johnson is gorgeous.

I'll go for b and c
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

What you need is

this guys phone number

I thought for a moment it was single shot only but I was thinking of the contemporary competitor, the PTRD. The PTRS is gas operated and semiautomatic working off the barrel gases, and there is a manual gas regulator with three settings. Not recoil operated, but would there be enough pressure long enough?

What I'm wondering is if therre is an exercise round with a frangible or wooden bullet and, as you say, reduced propellant load. Or just blanks.

But my book on A/T rifles has hidden itself. Annoyingly this is out of print in book form else I would have got a copy by now and look it up - it's something that looks rather interesting:

I thought that nearly no gas operated weapon would cycle with blanks and no adapter?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

It's when one can't tell the difference that one really has to worry.

Yet look more closely,, all the intervention needed to interfere with the free market to produce that image.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Brilliant.
    Interesting how much of that is the Green party manifesto, isn't it?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

What you need is

this guys phone number

I thought that nearly no gas operated weapon would cycle with blanks and no adapter?
    Quite. But if there is a frangible bullet, even a wooden round, it should work.
  • Options

isam said:

Absolute state of this.

Surely this one comes close. So to help you along, why was there no Conference bounce for Starmer? Delete as applicable:
    a) Starmer is rubbish,
    b) the Labour Party are rubbish,
    c) Wayne Couzens hijacked the news agenda,
    d) Johnson is gorgeous.

I'll go for b and c
    You have removed two incorrect answers, now would you like to ask the audience or phone a friend?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Brilliant.
    Sounds a bit like where I have just moved to! And we get IPSOS-MORI door knockers too!!
    So brass knobs on 'n all.

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Absolute state of this.

Ahem! 😕

I was still there until a couple of weeks ago. And I 100% disagree with the quoted passage, it's insanity.
    This Free marketer resigned form the party about 3 months ago, there cant be many left now.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Does anyone know what "political message" was scrawled on Tulip Siddiq's vandalised car? I need to know whether it was my side or the other side before I condemn/ignore it. Thanks.

Yes, the news was very coy about the content

If it had been basic racism surely they would have said, and it would be bigger news?

Was it internal Labour slanging? I don't know what side she is on, within the party. Or something to do with trans/LGB issues - she has asked questions in the House about "conversion therapy" -

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2020-09-23/94503
    She declined to say, because it would incite copycats, but I gather it was racist.
  • Options
    So is this Pandora Papers leak going to cause any grief for serving politicians? Lots of people wondering if they covered their tracks well enough?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

What you need is

this guys phone number

I would have though physics makes it pretty clear it's not a full force round. Equal and opposite reactions and all, the force pushing the gun back has to be equal to that that sends a heavy projectile streaking through the air at a speed sufficient to blow through steel armour.

My money would be on it being a regular weapon that has been "dressed" to look like an anti-tank one.
  • Options
    For any historians, the Telegraph is plugging talks by William Hague, Andrew Roberts and General Petraeus on George III, William Pitt and whether Britain could have won the American War of Independence.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Age related data scaled to 100K

Malmesbury, thank you again for creating these, but, to me it looks like the data on the UK Gov website, for England has the 10-14 age group starting to dip form the 28 Sep. Link below. and that is a 7 day average, by specimen date. do you know why there is a discrepancy?

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=nation&areaName=England
  • Options
    edited October 2021

So is this Pandora Papers leak going to cause any grief for serving politicians? Lots of people wondering if they covered their tracks well enough?

Hmm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-58780561

Not just their own stashes (if, I hasten to add, any), but the failure to do anything useful about tax havens and tax dodging.

Not a great look when one party is just about to raise NI and cut UC (OK, remove the temporary uplift, but the feel is the same).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    After nearly a fifth of the season, Brentford are the second-highest London team.....
  • Options
    MANE!
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Lol

Citeh
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Yet look more closely,, all the intervention needed to interfere with the free market to produce that image.
    Of course.

People watching football, and not cricket. Tax football! Subsidise cricket.

People not going to the right kind of church. Close it down.

And God forbid anyone should think of remaking Miss Marple. That would require specific legislation. It might even deserve to be a capital crime.
  • Options

For any historians, the Telegraph is plugging talks by William Hague, Andrew Roberts and General Petraeus on George III, William Pitt and whether Britain could have won the American War of Independence.

That would be very interesting.

I saw Andrew Roberts talk once on whether the Germans could have won the Second World War, and he was very persuasive. (Although, of course, it would have required Hitler to not be Hitler. So, it's quite a counterfactual.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I saw Andrew Roberts talk once on whether the Germans could have won the Second World War, and he was very persuasive. (Although, of course, it would have required Hitler to not be Hitler. So, it's quite a counterfactual.)
    No invading Russia, no plans to invade the UK, and no declaration of war on America was my theory on how Hitler could have won WWII.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I just checked my local theatre to see what is going on. Under the Covid guidelines people are asked to remain masked at all times with the exception of the bar/food area. In the theatre there is currently a policy of keeping a space between people. They would also appreciate it if we would take a lateral flow test before visiting.

I know the cinema is something similar in terms of masks etc. I was just wondering how specific to Wales this was or whether it's different in England.

I’ve just been to the cinema in London - no masks to be seen except on the poster asking people to voluntarily wear masks…
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

And God forbid anyone should think of remaking Miss Marple. That would require specific legislation. It might even deserve to be a capital crime.
    I would certainly encourage more cricket, certainly in the summer.

I have no problem with other non Anglican churches as long as there is still a Church of England church in every Parish offering a BCP service.

However my goodness I agree remakes of Miss Marple since Joan Hickson have been nothing short of heretical
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

We had our own amateur painter ballsing things up.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

tlg86 said:

I know why dyslexia is a thing, there is a bigger stigma around reading and writing. Far more people struggle with even basic maths, so it doesn’t matter nearly as much.

And media luvvies seem to think that being rubbish at basic maths is a badge of honour rather than something to be embarrassed about.
    Which media luvvies boast of being bad at maths?
    Almost all of them. Sitting on a breakfast sofa or wherever letting the nation know how poor they are at maths and then the next one has to chip in and say how bad they are too.

Happens all the time. Whenever there is a topic under discussion that requires a bit of adding up.
    I had a lunch recently where the bill was exactly £160, with two diners.

We asked the waitress to split it, and she couldn't do the mental maths, and had to get her phone/calculator out.

She was a humanities graduate from Bristol University. She didn't seem especially embarrassed, just offered a mild chuckle

I bet she knows all about Mary Seacole and Black History, however
    It will be policy - the consequence of getting it wrong probably comes out of her pay
  • Options

MANE!

Foden
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Pubs preserved in stead of being converted to dwelling houses (and no underage drinking, evidently, and presumably back to licensing hours) - that means statutory nationalisation like the Gothenbergs we had in Scotland.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No invading Russia, no plans to invade the UK, and no declaration of war on America was my theory on how Hitler could have won WWII.
    And not sacking all the Jewish scientists who might have helped with the German atomic bomb. The Nazis really did believe their own propaganda.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313

rcs1000 said:

The classic counter factual is for the Germans to fight the perfect campaign while their enemies make the same mistakes. Victory in Russia was possible if (a) no Greek delay, (b) more direct approach on Moscow, and (c) an appreciation of just how bad the winter could be, and to prepare for it.
  • Options
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

rcs1000 said:

That would be winning the Franco-German War 1939-40, and the outcome of that is in the name.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

I have no problem with other non Anglican churches as long as there is still a Church of England church in every Parish offering a BCP service.

However my goodness I agree remakes of Miss Marple since Joan Hickson have been nothing short of heretical
    The danger of both Hickson’s and Suchet’s canonical depiction of Marple and Poirot is that nothing can ever be better. And thus we see Marple sexed up (worldly in a different way to the original idea, where Marple knows the world because she knows the village so well, and everything in the world is seen in village life. Or Poirot as itv recently did. You cannot just remake them, you have to be different, and for me, don’t bother.
  • Options

MANE!

Foden
    Salah!
  • Options
    Mo SALAH!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    edited October 2021

rcs1000 said:

The classic counter factual is for the Germans to fight the perfect campaign while their enemies make the same mistakes. Victory in Russia was possible if (a) no Greek delay, (b) more direct approach on Moscow, and (c) an appreciation of just how bad the winter could be, and to prepare for it.
    Russia is a big place, and the Red Army could have kept falling back, so when and how would victory be declared? Hitler faced the same problem with Britain in 1940. Our army had been routed, its artillery abandoned, so how come we were still in the war?
  • Options
    What a goal by Salah
  • Options
    "a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Definitions of senior may vary.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

That would be winning the Franco-German War 1939-40, and the outcome of that is in the name.
    Blitzkrieg?

He'd have controlled most of mainland Europe if he had consolidated his victory.

Pearl Harbour was the doozy for both the Japanese and Germans.

No German declaration of war and FDR won't go a Germany First approach.
  • Options

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Indeed but seems a labour mp was at a conference bar last night
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

The danger of both Hickson’s and Suchet’s canonical depiction of Marple and Poirot is that nothing can ever be better. And thus we see Marple sexed up (worldly in a different way to the original idea, where Marple knows the world because she knows the village so well, and everything in the world is seen in village life. Or Poirot as itv recently did. You cannot just remake them, you have to be different, and for me, don’t bother.
    Likewise Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes, who has since had to be reimagined into 21st Century London or New York, or as a doctor in House.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Russia is a big place, and the Red Army could have kept falling back, so when and how would victory be declared? Hitler faced the same problem with Britain in 1940. Our army had been routed, its artillery abandoned, so how come we were still in the war?
    True but Moscow was a key objective. Much soviet manufacturing was moved to the east, but crucially there is not much in the vast space. A defensive line on the Volga as an end point was plausible.
    Of course you can also add in in treating the people you have invaded better, but that was never the point of the nazi state.
  • Options
    This is some game...
  • Options
    De Bruyne
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

It would be amusing if Burnham was a defector
  • Options

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

"In related news, a senior Labour MP was spotted by a co-conspirator chatting with two Mail on Sunday hacks and three senior Tory advisors at a conference bar last night…"

I don't get it; the co-conspirator grassed up their mate?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    moonshine said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Burnham is not an MP....
  • Options

moonshine said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Burnham is not an MP....
    It would still be amusing
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    moonshine said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Why would he defect? He has zero chance of becoming Tory leader, even if Boris goes Sunak or Truss would be lead replacements. However if Starmer went and he was elected as an MP again he would be top replacement as Labour leader and that is thus his only route to becoming PM
  • Options
    isam said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

"In related news, a senior Labour MP was spotted by a co-conspirator chatting with two Mail on Sunday hacks and three senior Tory advisors at a conference bar last night…"

Given it was at a bar the co-conspirator could be anyone, not necessarily a friend.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Why would he defect? He has zero chance of becoming Tory leader, even if Boris goes Sunak or Truss would be lead replacements, however if Starmer went he would be top replacement as Labour leader and that is thus his only route to becoming PM
    You need a sense of humour
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited October 2021
    isam said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

“Co-conspirator” = Guido’s source. It’s the style he uses.

Probably a Tory MP or SpAd.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Burnham is not an MP....
    Burnham's plan is to get back into the Commons in a safe Labour seat at a by-election later this year, then to challenge Stamer for the leadership, wresting it from him in early 2022, before defecting to the Tories and and winning the Conservative leadership contest in late 2023. He then leads the Tories to a 200 seat majority in 2024.
    He can't though.

The moment he becomes an MP he ceases to be Mayor of Manchester.

It is the law.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Burnham is not an MP....
    Burnham's plan is to get back into the Commons in a safe Labour seat at a by-election later this year, then to challenge Stamer for the leadership, wresting it from him in early 2022, before defecting to the Tories and and winning the Conservative leadership contest in late 2023. He then leads the Tories to a 200 seat majority in 2024.
    He can't though.

The moment he becomes an MP he ceases to be Mayor of Manchester.

It is the law.
    That doesn't mean he can't do anything Robert said.
  • Options
    That was one of the best football matches I have ever seen - a lovely Autumn day
  • Options
    Disappointing result. Might have taken that at half-time, but after twice being ahead its disappointing.

Entertaining game though.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Well, the last sentence does at least demonstrate you have excellent taste in TV.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

Burnham is not an MP....
    He only got re-elected this year, he'd jump ship so soon? (never mind the rest of it :))
  • Options
    A whistleblower at Facebook will say that thousands of pages of internal company research she turned over to federal regulators proves the social media giant is deceptively claiming effectiveness in its efforts to eradicate hate and misinformation and it contributed to the January 6 attack on the Capitol in Washington DC.

The former employee is set to air her claims and reveal her identity in an interview airing Sunday night on CBS 60 Minutes ahead of a scheduled appearance at a Senate hearing on Tuesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/03/facebook-whistleblower-capitol-attack
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

"a senior Labour MP"? 🤔

All MPs are senior when referred to in newspapers and other media. Or they are 'leading'.

Worst case scenario is they are 'prominent', meaning the writer can just about say they are known, but not pretend anyone cares about them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Well, the last sentence does at least demonstrate you have excellent taste in TV.
    Reading this thread got me wondering. Isn’t it now time for a male Miss Marple?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Absolute state of this.

Oh.

Of course.

Reading this thread got me wondering. Isn’t it now time for a male Miss Marple?
    Agatha Christie wrote one herself in The Moving Finger.

Mind you, it’s a pretty homophobic depiction…
  • Options

Disappointing result. Might have taken that at half-time, but after twice being ahead its disappointing.

Entertaining game though.

It was fantastic football and Liverpool were very lucky not to be down to 10 men

Fair result in the end
This discussion has been closed.