Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

MIND THE GAP: HOW LONG WILL BORIS JOHNSON SERVE AS PRIME MINISTER? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Apart from HYUFD being utterly wrong, he also misses the point.

The U.K. is (was?) a global services super-power, second only to the US. With the notable exception of whisky and salmon, we are agricultural weaklings.

Any trade deal should be examined for how well it facilitates our services trade. NZ (nor Australia) does not want our frost-damaged brassica.

As I mentioned earlier (and you ignored) Australia and New Zealand also have not a single car factory or assembly line left now, unlike us.

So there are plenty of opportunities to expand our car exports there too, not just our services (and brussels sprouts) exports
    Cars being shipped from here to the very furthest opposite point of the planet - this surely makes no sense when you take a step back and really consider it.
    They could fill them with brussels sprouts and kill two birds with one stone.
    Rolling about. Brilliant.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Zoe is starting to show some pretty consistent day on day falls now.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

tlg86 said:

Its interesting that in nearly every event in athletics, the WR now is much better than 20-30 years ago (if we exclude the couple of female events where one was juiced of their tits and the other was errrh a man)...but high jump, todays competitors in both men and women still can't get even get near the WR from 30+ years ago.

Jonathan Edwards still holds the triple jump record.
    Yes, good call. Even he couldn't get close to it after he did it.

Actually, long jump still stands as well from 30 years ago. Do they get close?
    not really.

https://www.worldathletics.org/records/all-time-toplists/jumps/long-jump/outdoor/men/senior?regionType=world&windReading=regular&page=1&bestResultsOnly=true&firstDay=1900-01-01&lastDay=2021-08-01

before the current record the previous one was Bob Beamon from 1968 (and not that much different)
    The long jump is one of those wierd records. Beamon jumped out of the pit in 1968, Powell bettered it in 1995 with a few competitors, and no-one has been near it since.
    Should we be suspicious of this?
    Here's an idea: shoes.

You'd expect technology to move on, and for things like shoes to improve and help with every step. But what if the modern shoes are actually fairly poor for these sorts of events, as opposed to things like running or football, and lead to slightly more injuries?

Probably way off-base ...
    I would have thought the likes of Nike spend millions researching this. I highly doubt they are subpar compared to 30-40 years ago, given how every other part of their preparation is optimised.
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. The likes of Nike would be much more interested in shoes for their top athletes, competing in the high-profile sports. They won't commit too many resources to fringe sports (and the jumping sports are relatively fringe). The requirements for the sports may be very different.

And even for football, a quick Google showed this:
    https://www.empowerband.com/post/how-modern-football-boots-cause-foot-injuries
    https://sportslens.com/can-football-boots-cause-injuries/7694/
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    No really big names in this final. Odd. Usually the blue ribbon event.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849
    Sandpit said:

Here goes then, the 100m final.

I’ll be really annoyed if it isnt’t over before the Grand Prix starts.

Will be - it only takes a few seconds. 9.81 approx.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    What a light show!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

tlg86 said:

There you go @FrancisUrquhart - WR in the women’s triple jump.

That isn't a surprise though, as the lady has got close before.

We were talking about WR that have stood for ages but nobody gets near. Women 800m being the most stand out (cough cough)...
    Least the women's 100m OR was broken this games. The WR is always going to be tricky with the broken windspeed meter (Flo Jo's WR was almost certainly +4.0 m/s)
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

tlg86 said:

Its interesting that in nearly every event in athletics, the WR now is much better than 20-30 years ago (if we exclude the couple of female events where one was juiced of their tits and the other was errrh a man)...but high jump, todays competitors in both men and women still can't get even get near the WR from 30+ years ago.

not really.

https://www.worldathletics.org/records/all-time-toplists/jumps/long-jump/outdoor/men/senior?regionType=world&windReading=regular&page=1&bestResultsOnly=true&firstDay=1900-01-01&lastDay=2021-08-01

before the current record the previous one was Bob Beamon from 1968 (and not that much different)
    The long jump is one of those wierd records. Beamon jumped out of the pit in 1968, Powell bettered it in 1995 with a few competitors, and no-one has been near it since.

You'd expect technology to move on, and for things like shoes to improve and help with every step. But what if the modern shoes are actually fairly poor for these sorts of events, as opposed to things like running or football, and lead to slightly more injuries?

I would have thought the likes of Nike spend millions researching this. I highly doubt they are subpar compared to 30-40 years ago, given how every other part of their preparation is optimised.
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. The likes of Nike would be much more interested in shoes for their top athletes, competing in the high-profile sports. They won't commit too many resources to fringe sports (and the jumping sports are relatively fringe). The requirements for the sports may be very different.

Modern football boots though are superior in many other respects, but they offer less protection.

You might be right about it being fringe....it might also be that because its fringe, talented atheletes don't entertain the idea of competing in those events. Way more money in other events / sports.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,735
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The U.K. is (was?) a global services super-power, second only to the US. With the notable exception of whisky and salmon, we are agricultural weaklings.

Any trade deal should be examined for how well it facilitates our services trade. NZ (nor Australia) does not want our frost-damaged brassica.

As I mentioned earlier (and you ignored) Australia and New Zealand also have not a single car factory or assembly line left now, unlike us.

So there are plenty of opportunities to expand our car exports there too, not just our services (and brussels sprouts) exports
    Cars being shipped from here to the very furthest opposite point of the planet - this surely makes no sense when you take a step back and really consider it.
    Au contraire.

They require a lot of capital infrastructure to manufacture - so only some places can make them.

And they are expensive - so shipping is a v small part of the overall cost.

They’re actually the perfect thing to ship to the opposite point of the planet.

Unlike, say, sprouts.
    Financially, ok, for now, but aren't we moving towards a high tech, clean, digital future whereby all of this hauling serious physical matter from one part of the globe to another ceases to be the norm?
    We are also supposedly meant to be drastically cutting our red meat intake too to improve our health and reduce the need for deforestation and methane emissions from cattle.

Which would also mean a decline in future demand for Australian beef and NZ lamb
    Lambs are sheep, not a form of cattle. Nor do you need to deforest areas to graze sheep or goats, or for the matter of that deer (exhibit A - the Forest of Dean).

Try not to confuse the general and the specific.

(Incidentally, I know in advance that Hyufd will try to explain to me that actually sheep do need open pasture and are a form of cattle. It's those who might be confused by his posts that I'm speaking to here.)
    Sheep graze, deer and goats browse. Of course you can graze sheep in "woodland pasture" (second trendiest thing after rewilding) on the grass between trees, but it isn't efficient. People want sheep much more than they want goat or venison.
    The most efficient way of grazing sheep is upland pasture. We have plenty of that.

I’m not sure I agree either about woodlands. They have been cheerfully grazing Britain’s forests for thousands of years.
    Disaster for Hughes :(
    Well that's the end of the Brit. Sad.
    Oh dear, Hughes with the fault.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Pulpstar said:

Disaster for Hughes :(

Can understand why he took the chance.
    DavidL said:

The softest 100 metre field in years too.

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

tlg86 said:

not really.

Modern football boots though are superior in many other respects, but they offer less protection.
    That's kind-of the point: jumping sports may need more protection than football.
    A good few minutes for Italy!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Great sporting year for Italy, they win the Euros and now have their first ever men's 100m Olympic gold medal winner
  • Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

We were talking about WR that have stood for ages but nobody gets near. Women 800m being the most stand out (cough cough)...
    Least the women's 100m OR was broken this games. The WR is always going to be tricky with the broken windspeed meter (Flo Jo's WR was almost certainly +4.0 m/s)
    And she was juiced to the gills....

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

tlg86 said:

not really.

That's kind-of the point: jumping sports may need more protection than football.
    He means protection from tackles.
    Italy win the 100m!!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    ClippP said:

Well, Johnson is not quite in the Gavin Williamson class, but very nearly. If he can go as low as this in ultra-Conservative Con Home polls, he cannot remain in post very much longer.

Williamson is kept in place by Johnson's having the final say. Johnson stays, only because the Tory MPs have no backbone. If they did, this chancer would be gone tomorrow.

And poor old HY would be looking for his next idol to worship.
    That is more Philip Thompson
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

The softest 100 metre field in years too.
    True but that was fast. Not Bolt fast but fast. No Brit has ever come close to that.

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

The massive (misrecorded) wind assistance was a bigger factor in that race.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Liz Truss says the UK is on the verge of a trade deal with New Zealand

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1421744617020608513?s=20

Oh, thank God for that!...We are all saved.....
    More seriously, it is another step towards being accepted into the CPTPP.

Which will really upset some people, for a fairly obvious reason.
    The only thing outstanding is the small matter of diverting all our trade through the Pitcairns.
    thankfully we should be able to purchase cabbages from Christmas Island, potatoes from Pitcairn Island, asperagus from Australia, tomatoes from Tahiti, (anymore alliterative veg?), once our farming industry goes to the wall.
    It won't go to the wall, there will be great demand in Australia and New Zealand for British chicken and beef and milk and fruit and veg
    Evidence? Seem to recall more than adequate beef when I've been to Aussie; indeed they export it to SE Asia and Japan. New Zealand, as I recall, has excellent, and excellent supplies of milk. Can't imagine that our fruit can compete with theirs, either.
    What you haven't mentioned is that the Aussies were quite keen to replace the sales of wine to China that they've recently lost.
    We also produce our own beef and lamb it may surprise you to know and there are excellent English sparkling wines as well now but no reason consumers both here and in Australia and New Zealand cannot have more choice and removal of tariffs, unless you are anti free trade.

Not quite, my West Essex friend. You claimed that Aussies and Kiwis would be falling over themselves to buy, and I quote, 'British chicken and beef and milk and fruit and veg'.
    Which I doubted, and sought evidence from you..

I have no problem with the concept of Free Trade, although it is not necessarily the answer to all problems and does create some.
    For example an increase in the availability, and decrease in the price, of Aussie sparkling wine might well have a negative effect on our own local industry.
    You are also forgetting it is not all one way traffic, our exports to Australia will also be cheaper.

Whisky, Brussels Sprouts, venison, cider etc all relatively rare in Australia and New Zealand and ripe for export from the UK to them.

Surely Australia and New Zealand will get their Brussels Sprouts from the EU, not from us? The clue's in the name.
    The EU does not have a trade deal with Australia and New Zealand yet, they do with us now, so our Brussels Sprouts will be cheaper.

There are huge opportunities for British Brussels Sprout farmers now in Australia and New Zealand
    I have liked that because I haven't laughed so much for ages.

Will these be fresh or frozen? Traditionally a Christmas veg which will get there after Christmas. Even we don't eat them from frozen out of season. If they are interested why doesn't New Zealand grow them themselves?

You are planning to export a bulky cheap vegetable half way around the world that they can grow themselves if they wanted to.

There must be so many other opportunities you could have picked that are better.
    I would have thought out of all British food and drink products Brussels Sprouts are amongst the least likely to be home produced or grown in Australia and New Zealand, thus it will have amongst the highest demand for British exporters of it to there.

Especially as we now have a trade deal with them unlike the EU
    They grow the things in profusion in Australia, as 30 seconds on this thing called Google shows.

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/how-to-make-brussels-sprouts-taste-delicious/12299690

And when the cost of carbon tax is added, forget exporting to Oz.
    That is a recipe for Brussels Sprouts, not a link to vast numbers of Brussels Sprouts farmers in Australia. Brussels Sprouts are one of the least grown vegetables in Australia, in fact not even in the top 15 Australian vegetable crops
    https://ausveg.com.au/resources/economics-statistics/australian-vegetable-production-statistics/

EU Brussels Sprout exporters of course would have to deal with high tariffs, unlike the UK, as well as a carbon tax (though of course a carbon tax would equally apply to Australian imports here in time)
    Lets look at exports then

https://www.worldstopexports.com/top-brussels-sprouts-exports-by-country/
    Yes, we are a top 10 Brussels sprouts exporter unlike Australia and New Zealand
    Australia exports more Brussels Sprouts per capita than we do. You can never simply admit that you were mistaken?

It's so incredibly childish.
    I was not mistaken, we export more Brussels Sprouts than Australia and New Zealand do.

If you were talking carrots you might have had a point, there Australia is a top 10 exporter unlike us

https://www.tridge.com/intelligences/carrot/export
    You are wrong.

On its own that's fine. Life is a series of mistakes. As someone said on here a day or two ago, we all make them.

What is contemptible is that you refuse ever to admit to error. It is impossible to have any sort of public debate if someone will not admit to error when confronted with the facts.

You are everything that is wrong with politics in this country, and democracies more generally.
    Well if I continue to annoy left liberals like you all to the good, I will carry on with gusto! I would be more concerned if I wasn't.

I was also not wrong, the UK is a top 10 brussels sprout exporter unlike Australia as even your own link confirmed
    There's a massive difference between annoying me by holding political views I dislike, or worse, by coming up with good arguments for political views that I dislike - as several of the right-wing posters on here manage - and annoying me by failing to observe a basic principle of public debate - not to lie about the facts.

The first is the foundation of a healthy democracy and the second will be the death of it.

And on a personal level it is a sign of being a weak-minded coward not to be willing to admit to mistakes. You're pathetic.
    There was no lie, as your own link showed the UK is a top 10 brussel sprouts exporter unlike Australia. You have also refused to concede that.

I of course could not care less what you think of me
    It wasn't my link. I did not dispute the fact of British exports, so I have nothing to concede. You are in denial of Australian exports of Brussels Sprouts.

In his own words, HYUFD is talking absolute carrots today.
    I posted earlier I was not in denial of Australian exports of carrots, I accept Australia leads us in the world carrot trade
    :smiley:
    The world carrot trade is up there in the pantheon of great HYUFDisms
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667

ClippP said:

Well, Johnson is not quite in the Gavin Williamson class, but very nearly. If he can go as low as this in ultra-Conservative Con Home polls, he cannot remain in post very much longer.

Williamson is kept in place by Johnson's having the final say. Johnson stays, only because the Tory MPs have no backbone. If they did, this chancer would be gone tomorrow.

ConHome was never much to do with the Conservative Party despite the name. More UKIP than anything else, really.
    But then it is said that the former UKIP supporters have taken over the conservative Party, so it might be that Con Home with its UKIP tendencies is a fair representation of today's Conservative Party.

So the point remains - Johnson is out of favour and ready for the chop.
    Sky Sports’ F1 coverage really is epically bad. Hype, stupidity and shrieking. Even the Hundred isn’t this awful.

Anyway, what odds are people offering on Verstappen making it to the end of the first lap this time?
    Colin Jackson counting that as a win for Europe. :lol:
    Wet race in Hungary.
    edited August 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

The massive (misrecorded) wind assistance was a bigger factor in that race.
    Probably...although I reckon if I was on the amount of gear she was on even I could probably run 11s :-)
    ClippP said:

ClippP said:

ConHome was never much to do with the Conservative Party despite the name. More UKIP than anything else, really.
    But then it is said that the former UKIP supporters have taken over the conservative Party, so it might be that Con Home with its UKIP tendencies is a fair representation of today's Conservative Party.

Pork or lamb?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849
    DougSeal said:

I went to pick up the wife from Heathrow and was told to expect 3-6 hour delays post landing. Her flight from Boston got in at 8 and I planned to leave the house at 8.30 so as to get there at 10 on the off chance it took less. At 8.20, drinking a coffee, leisurely reading the paper and getting ready to leave, I get an exasperated call from Mrs Seal asking me where TF I was. Flight landed at 8, she was through immigration and customs in 20 minutes. I’m not Mr Popular today.

I've been caught like that. Course, if you go in good time, leave a buffer, it will go the other way and you'll be waiting hours, spending money in cafes, racking up the parking, in and out of the loos, getting tense and irritable, just about ready to explode by the time your 'SO' finally comes lollopping into view.
    Everyone on the Inters…
  • HYUFD said:

Great sporting year for Italy, they win the Euros and now have their first ever men's 100m Olympic gold medal winner

And the men's high jump and Eurovision too!
  • Sandpit said:

Second British DQ of the 100m. Something wrong with GB coaching (assuming they share a coach)?
    edited August 2021

Sandpit said:

Second British DQ of the 100m. Something wrong with GB coaching (assuming they share a coach)?
    Prescott waa dead lucky in the heats as well. He definitely false started once (and got away with it) and was another dodgy one as well where it was touch and go.
  • HYUFD said:

And the high jump.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Au contraire.

They require a lot of capital infrastructure to manufacture - so only some places can make them.

Unlike, say, sprouts.
    Financially, ok, for now, but aren't we moving towards a high tech, clean, digital future whereby all of this hauling serious physical matter from one part of the globe to another ceases to be the norm?
    We are also supposedly meant to be drastically cutting our red meat intake too to improve our health and reduce the need for deforestation and methane emissions from cattle.

Which would also mean a decline in future demand for Australian beef and NZ lamb
    Lambs are sheep, not a form of cattle. Nor do you need to deforest areas to graze sheep or goats, or for the matter of that deer (exhibit A - the Forest of Dean).

(Incidentally, I know in advance that Hyufd will try to explain to me that actually sheep do need open pasture and are a form of cattle. It's those who might be confused by his posts that I'm speaking to here.)
    Sheep graze, deer and goats browse. Of course you can graze sheep in "woodland pasture" (second trendiest thing after rewilding) on the grass between trees, but it isn't efficient. People want sheep much more than they want goat or venison.
    The most efficient way of grazing sheep is upland pasture. We have plenty of that.

I’m not sure I agree either about woodlands. They have been cheerfully grazing Britain’s forests for thousands of years.
    Yes but are they really cheerful or are they dreaming of uplands?
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,335
    ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Pork or lamb?
    He could always be put out to stud....
    edited August 2021
    Well, that time he didn’t even make the first corner.

Edit - I should make it clear that this time that wasn’t Hamilton’s fault, but it very clearly was Bottas’.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    DougSeal said:

That is good, IIRC they initially where not showing the same decline that the governments testing indicated, but do you have a link?
  • I think every race in F1 should be wet....far more exciting.
  • Bottas for SPOTY.
    That’s the funniest thing I’ve seen since Turkey 2010.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,132

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Pork or lamb?
    He could always be put out to stud....
    Not AFAIK a high enough IQ to compete with those Nobel laureates and Mensa wizards who offer their spermatozoa at prices that cost even more per cc than my printer's ink.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Au contraire.

Unlike, say, sprouts.

It's that right? The most efficient use of upland pasture is to graze sheep on it (leaving grouse to one side) but that is not the same thing. You can feed 50x the number of sheep on an acre of nice green field than an acre of fell.

The mountain sheep are sweeter,
    But the valley sheep are fatter;
    We therefore deemed it meeter
    To carry off the latter.
    We made an expedition;
    We met a host, and quelled it;
    We forced a strong position,
    And killed the men who held it.
    Bottas needs a 3 race ban lol
    edited August 2021
    Happy #YorkshireDay, which I shall celebrate in the traditional manner by being completely right about absolutely everything.

https://twitter.com/ianduhig/status/1421740238595104769?s=19

Maybe they could celebrate by paying for their round for once....
    Oh well, Lewis for the win looks like a good bet.
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Au contraire.

Unlike, say, sprouts.

It's that right? The most efficient use of upland pasture is to graze sheep on it (leaving grouse to one side) but that is not the same thing. You can feed 50x the number of sheep on an acre of nice green field than an acre of fell.

To carry off the latter.
    We made an expedition;
    I think, with respect, you’re missing the point. The claim was that we will stop eating red meat because it requires deforestation. I was pointing out that was bollocks, as goats, deer and sheep can use natural landscapes that don’t require deforestation.
    BigRich said:

DougSeal said:

That is good, IIRC they initially where not showing the same decline that the governments testing indicated, but do you have a link?
    The reports sent to the Government that have the historic “newly sick” are only available to subscribers but you can see the case peak on total in the public dashboard at covid.joinzoe.com
    Could somebody please explain to Mercedes that they’re driving in F1 not a Dodgems championship?
    edited August 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Max seriously lucky to still be in this race but surely his performance will be compromised? His car looks a mess.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612
    ClippP said:

ClippP said:

Except that it still isn't. Any more than "Wings" is the SNP.

The real metric to measure on this is the support of the MPs in the commons - how many rebellions, how often. The MPs are very much connected into their local associations, which are where the actual party members are.

When you factor in that ConHome uses voodoo polls, the value of such "information" drops to zero.

Might as well get a Momentum voodoo poll on Starmer.
    Pulpstar said:

Interesting how things change. Kimi got no penalty for this in 2008:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Et8hVVM0Voo
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't know what he'll get if anything but he's seriously compromised/knocked out about 4 cars here. Needs a punishment for sure.

Edit: The more you watch it the worse it is.

And it directly benefits his team-mate.
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

I went to pick up the wife from Heathrow and was told to expect 3-6 hour delays post landing. Her flight from Boston got in at 8 and I planned to leave the house at 8.30 so as to get there at 10 on the off chance it took less. At 8.20, drinking a coffee, leisurely reading the paper and getting ready to leave, I get an exasperated call from Mrs Seal asking me where TF I was. Flight landed at 8, she was through immigration and customs in 20 minutes. I’m not Mr Popular today.

I've been caught like that. Course, if you go in good time, leave a buffer, it will go the other way and you'll be waiting hours, spending money in cafes, racking up the parking, in and out of the loos, getting tense and irritable, just about ready to explode by the time your 'SO' finally comes lollopping into view.
    There’s a sign saying you shouldn’t leave your car when collecting unless you have to. Didn’t fancy six hours in the motor however new it is. Although I suppose I could have spent it figuring out how to change the preset radio stations.

I think every race in F1 should be wet....far more exciting.

Yes, they should spray the track for the LOLs
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited August 2021
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't know what he'll get if anything but he's seriously compromised/knocked out about 4 cars here. Needs a punishment for sure.

I view this more of a Belgium 98 incident rather than malice or incompetence.
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Au contraire.

Unlike, say, sprouts.

To carry off the latter.
    We made an expedition;
    I think, with respect, you’re missing the point. The claim was that we will stop eating red meat because it requires deforestation. I was pointing out that was bollocks, as goats, deer and sheep can use natural landscapes that don’t require deforestation.
    And my point is that you get more and cheaper lamb off fields which used to be woods, and much less and more expensive lamb out of woods which are still woods.

The whole of that Peacock poem deserves showcasing on PB. Easily as bloodthirsty as Sean's Aztecs

To carry off the latter.
    We made an expedition;

On Dyfed's richest valley,
    Where herds of kine were browsing,
    We made a mighty sally,
    To furnish our carousing.
    Fierce warriors rushed to meet us;
    We met them, and o'erthrew them:
    They struggled hard to beat us;
    But we conquered them, and slew them.

As we drove our prize at leisure,
    The king marched forth to catch us:
    His rage surpassed all measure,
    But his people could not match us.
    He fled to his hall-pillars;
    And, ere our force we led off,
    Some sacked his house and cellars,
    While others cut his head off.

We there, in strife bewild'ring,
    Spilt blood enough to swim in:
    We orphaned many children,
    And widowed many women.
    The eagles and the ravens
    We glutted with our foemen;
    The heroes and the cravens,
    The spearmen and the bowmen.

We brought away from battle,
    And much their land bemoaned them,
    Two thousand head of cattle,
    And the head of him who owned them:
    Ednyfed, king of Dyfed,
    His head was borne before us;
    His wine and beasts supplied our feasts,
    And his overthrow, our chorus.
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Actually, here I think he might be let off because of the weather. His brakes locked and he skidded.

A poor piece of driving but not as bad as Hamilton’s last time which was a dud overtaking manoeuvre (and which actually enabled to win a race which he otherwise was most unlikely to win). Also, of course, he’s out of the race.

Hamilton got 10 seconds. This would be similar, I think, with Bottas out I think probably he’ll just be told not to be such a bloody twit in future.
    edited August 2021
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Actually, Hakkinen got a one race ban for this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gnVNse5eUR4

They didn’t restart this race. Hill could have been champion had they done so.

And, of course, Grosjean got a ban for Spa 2012, which I was at.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFg58c3YM70
    Norris out.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited August 2021
    Shirt unbuttoned to chest hair level? Check.
    Suit cut at least 10 years too young? Check.
    Tory 'Ahm really bad wi the Elephantiasis the noo' power pose? Check.

Welcome your new overlord, SLDs.

https://twitter.com/joe_yer99/status/1421580583789027329?s=20
  • NEW THREAD

• MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    kjh said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

They could fill them with brussels sprouts and kill two birds with one stone.
    Rolling about. Brilliant.
    There's a reason why freight containers are inexpensive in the UK...
  • Talking of edifices which have run out of luck:

‘Scotland's most striking castle on tiny remote island for sale at just £1’

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/scotlands-most-striking-castle-tiny-21194439.amp

Hate to be pedantic, but that headline is riddled with porkies:
    1. it is not a “castle”, it is a late Victorian estate house
    2. it is not “striking”, it is horrifically ugly and completely out of place in its environment
    3. in a list of Scotland’s “most striking” structures, it wouldn’t make the top 5000
    4. Rum is not tiny; it is the largest island in its archipelago
    5. It is not for sale (even the article itself explicitly says that “Kinloch Castle is not currently on the open market for sale”)
    6. It does not cost £1

So, in summary, the only remotely truthful assertion is that Rum is “remote”, although even that is nonsense if you happen to live in Eigg, Skye or Mallaig. And “remoteness” is a function of demography, politics and fashions in transportation. Rum was very central if you were a competent seafarer during the Lordship of the Isles.

This is the very peak of junk journalism. A primary school child could write a better article. The culprit? The despicable Reach plc. What a bunch of chancers.

A thoroughly forensic debunking, thank you
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited August 2021

NEW THREAD

Are you sure? I got:-
    Data too long for column 'Name' at row 1|Gdn_Database|Query|insert `GDN_Discussion` (`InsertUserID`, `DateInserted`, `DateUpdated`, `CategoryID`, `ForeignID`, `Type`, `Name`, `Body`, `Format`, `Attributes`) values (:InsertUserID, :DateInserted, :DateUpdated, :CategoryID, :ForeignID, :Type, :Name, :Body, :Format, :Attributes)
    which is tech-nerd speak for I've done the rent money on Bottas.
    Cannae post on yon indyref thread, the Tories willnae permit it.
    New thread is borken.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    DavidL said:

Bernie suggested that.
  • False start on the new thread....like Team GB in the 100m
  • New thread is borken.

I blame TSE :lol:
    Unionist saboteurs have been interfering with the new thread.
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Bernie suggested that.
    Bernie was a genius. He knew that F1 lived off news, and they had five months of the year when there was very little news. So he'd come up with bonkers ideas (e.g. the medals system) that would get the media het up and generate stories. He'd also do it to distract from other stories.

Love him or loathe him, he was blooming good at what he did.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Cannae post on yon indyref thread, the Tories willnae permit it.

Can you post on it now?
  • Looks like India are good at a sport other than Cricket!
    Absolute scenes lol
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,868

HYUFD has successfully dragged PBers into his own insanity vortex. Brings back wonderful memories of Scottish tanks and hot broth.

Now I am back to visions of HYFUD, by the roadside on the A78, in the pouring rain, trying to kick some life back into a solitary Covenanter tank...
    HYUFD, I wish I had spent the afternoon following this utterly surreal thread, instead of entertaining the family for lunch. P.S. We had sprouts. P.P.S. I live 100m from the A78. I will listen out for the tanks.
This discussion has been closed.