Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Snap Savanta poll on BoJo isolation plan finds most saying it was unfair – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Must be Johnson's worst day in office and there have been some humdingers.

No, it was far from them as they had the good sense to roll back on this absurd decision very quickly. It could have got far messier.
    I agree. I hadn't woken up by the time they had U-turned!
    But what on Earth were they thinking in the first place??
    Exactly. It is one misstep after another. Self inflicted wounds. Do they not have advisers. They clearly learned nothing from Barnard Castle.
    Like I said on the other thread, this government-wide opt-out (sorry, pilot) was most likely a clever wheeze to protect Michael Gove. It got out of hand because they'd not considered The Saj might take out the Prime Minister and Chancellor in one go.
  • felix said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

What advantages have we actually gained? Are we any more free or open than elsewhere in Europe? It doesn't seem like it

Yes we are. We're the most open nation in Europe.
    Actually Austria is for the vaccinated, all Austrian bars, restaurants and nightclubs are already reopen for anyone with proof of vaccination without the need for social distancing or a facemask.

Spain was the first nation to reopen all its bars and clubs without restrictions but it had to reimpose restrictions in some regions due to rising cases amongst younger partygoers

https://www.mypartybible.com/where-are-nightclubs-and-bars-open-in-europe-coronavirus-covid
    Wrong - it's still a requirement to wear masks entering any restaurant or bar and there are indoor capacity limits. All public transport and all shops and commercial centres require masks at all times. Even in public outside you must have a mask to hand to put on whenever it is not possible to maintain social distance. Any idea that we're back to normal is utter and complete nonsense.
    Spain reopened nightclubs in June but because of rising cases amongst unvaccinated young people regions like Catalonia had to impose restrictions on them again.

https://www.mypartybible.com/where-are-nightclubs-and-bars-open-in-europe-coronavirus-covid

The case rate amongst young not fully vaccinated clubbers in the big UK cities is where the biggest problem is likely to be from next week when UK nightclubs are allowed to reopen restriction free without social distancing and without mandatory facemasks

I live here - they were never re-opened without restrictions. Here in Andalucía restrictions remained throughout wrt masks, capacity, dancing, etc, etc. The same applies to everything else I said. Whether the measures make sense or not the idea that all restrictions ended or anywhere near ended is utter bullshit. There remains a requirement at all times indoor and outdoors to wear mask on entering places or whenever social distancing is not possible. All staff wear masks at all times. You really need to learn to listen to people who live here before telling us what our rules are.
    The fact is nightclubs were allowed to reopen in Spain over a month ago, well before nightclubs have been allowed to reopen here which is not until midnight tonight. Spanish nightclubs were also allowed to reopen without Covid passports which were required for nightclub reopening in Austria for example.

However the case rate amongst not fully vaccinated young Spaniards surged, even if some restrictions remained in clubs and so Spain had to reverse course and shut its nightclubs again in many regions.

Thus if our nightclubs are reopened tonight without mandatory facemasks, without social distancing and without mandatory Covid passports (which I personally would have required) there is a risk of a surge in cases amongst young British people not yet fully vaccinated who go clubbing
    You're frankly an idiot when you try to tell people living here what our rules are. Pointless to engage with such a level of stupidity. I know I shouldn't waste my time with someone so pig-headed but it's just so irritating.
    Really nasty, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

What advantages have we actually gained? Are we any more free or open than elsewhere in Europe? It doesn't seem like it

Actually Austria is for the vaccinated, all Austrian bars, restaurants and nightclubs are already reopen for anyone with proof of vaccination without the need for social distancing or a facemask.

Spain was the first nation to reopen all its bars and clubs without restrictions but it had to reimpose restrictions in some regions due to rising cases amongst younger partygoers

Wrong - it's still a requirement to wear masks entering any restaurant or bar and there are indoor capacity limits. All public transport and all shops and commercial centres require masks at all times. Even in public outside you must have a mask to hand to put on whenever it is not possible to maintain social distance. Any idea that we're back to normal is utter and complete nonsense.
    Spain reopened nightclubs in June but because of rising cases amongst unvaccinated young people regions like Catalonia had to impose restrictions on them again.

The case rate amongst young not fully vaccinated clubbers in the big UK cities is where the biggest problem is likely to be from next week when UK nightclubs are allowed to reopen restriction free without social distancing and without mandatory facemasks

Foxjr2 has a gap between shows so is planning a night out clubbing in Leicester on Friday. First time in 18 months for the young lad. He likes to get out on the floor.

Should be at 60 000+ cases per day by then...🙄
    This whole notion of 'clubbing' is a bit beyond me. From what I can ascertain it consists of:

a) Having to stand in a queue for no apparent reason
    b) Having to pay to go through a dark, piss-stained entrance way
    c) Paying stupid money for pissy drinks
    d) Being unable to hold a conversation due to the ridiculous volume of music you can't stand
    e) Struggling to stay awake
    f) Having to walk home because there are no buses or taxis at 3am

Have I missed anything?
    Against all that there's the possibility of going home with a stranger. Young people will go through all that for the possibility of getting laid.

Thinking about it, its a surprise that apps that match people for hookups haven't done more damage to the clubbing industry.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,080

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING Downing St and the Cabinet Office have tonight formally pulled out of the Covid-19 pilot scheme that allowed ministers and civil servants to keep working if they do daily tests.
    Full story on a day of chaos in The Daily Telegraph tomorrow and on
    http://telegraph.co.uk

What a joke.

Has there ever been an individual more unsuited to being PM?
    Wasn't that a scene in Yes, Minister, where Sir Humphrey is plotting to have Jim Hacker elected Prime Minister?

Sir Humphrey: ... after all, there have been less likely Prime Ministers.
    Chief Whip: Yes. [Pause] Who?
    Sir Humphrey: Oh, there must have been.
    From the novelisation,

Editor's Note: Extensive research indicates that Sir Humphrey must have been referring to the Marquis of Bute.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Taz said:

No, it was far from them as they had the good sense to roll back on this absurd decision very quickly. It could have got far messier.
    Oh well, there's always tomorrow. No doubt the old Etonian will think of some fuck up or other to surpass which ever one was the worst.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

We have been saying wouldn't be good if thr government broke down the stats by vaccination status.

I just noticed in Gibraltar, they literally tell you every new case, what age, vaccination status, resident or visitor.

Disclosive! Disclosive!

It really shouldn’t be too difficult for us to do it given the numbers are reasonably high now.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Alistair said:

Saff of the river is starting to heat up a bit Covid wise.

Gateshead and South Tyneside? Absolutely.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,080
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING Downing St and the Cabinet Office have tonight formally pulled out of the Covid-19 pilot scheme that allowed ministers and civil servants to keep working if they do daily tests.

What a joke.

May I revive the notion of Mr Nibbles? He at least can be guaranteed to have a suit that fits him. And to look bright-eyed, if somewhat briefly bushy-tailed, at all times.
    And whilst Mr Nibbles presumably has many offspring, there is less ambiguity about how many.

#NibblesforNumberTen
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    edited July 2021

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Foxjr2 has a gap between shows so is planning a night out clubbing in Leicester on Friday. First time in 18 months for the young lad. He likes to get out on the floor.

This whole notion of 'clubbing' is a bit beyond me. From what I can ascertain it consists of:

d) Being unable to hold a conversation due to the ridiculous volume of music you can't stand

Have I missed anything?
    g) Waking up in a strange bed and desperately trying to guess who, and where you are by looking at the mail...

It is a reunion of twenty year old single jabbed University students from all over the UK. What could possibly go wrong?

I might have to wear an FFP3 in my own house Saturday...

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Against all that there's the possibility of going home with a stranger. Young people will go through all that for the possibility of getting laid.

Thinking about it, its a surprise that apps that match people for hookups haven't done more damage to the clubbing industry.
    Exactly. Back in the day you had to attend venues frequented by potential partners. These days, why put yourself through the misery when it's all there online?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?

Exactly. Back in the day you had to attend venues frequented by potential partners. These days, why put yourself through the misery when it's all there online?
    Hmm. Do people join the Young Conservatives any more?

Scott_xP said:

What a joke.

Unfortunately yes. Jeremy Corbyn, which is why we have Johnson where he is today.
    We could have had an anti-vaxxer as PM....
    I actually meant an individual who had actually become PM. No doubt there is some drunk scoundrel from the 18th century that I have forgotten about who was worse.

But jeez, as Our Dom pointed out, what a shit choice we had in 2019. Beggars belief our parties presented these two.
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?

I think they use Grindr now.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    698 first vaccinations and 1,022 second vaccinations in Newham yesterday.

56.5% first doses and 36.5% both doses.

Yet we remain well below the national average in terms of cases - as others have said, the 800-1000 daily positive returns we were getting around Christmas and New Year (probably a huge underestimation of the actual number of cases) suggested we had a very bad six weeks of cases.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,701

Taz said:

Oh well, there's always tomorrow. No doubt the old Etonian will think of some fuck up or other to surpass which ever one was the worst.
    I’m sure, given the competence on exhibit on how the govt conducts itself it is solely a matter of,time.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

Will it move the polls though? I wouldn't bet on it.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341

I think one problem for Boris is that he is building up a huge backlog of awkward questions that would make any interview difficult even done by an incompetent journalist. I don't see how he can escape scrutiny in the medium term and during a future GE. Given that plus other character indicators he may quit while ahead with a bit of long Covid/ ill health/ exhaustion as the excuse whilst still ahead in the polls.

In a parliamentary democracy you are absolutely entitled to take the view that scrutiny is done by the House of Commons, select committees, LOTO and voters. Boris has spotted that in general being cross examined by forensic specialists like Andrew Neil is no more required of him than it is of PB readers. Sad for those who enjoy the show, but very wise. The job of journalists is to make government look idiots; why, from their point of view, help them?

• darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Hope. There is this strange feeling of hope that drives you forward.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited July 2021
    algarkirk said:

I think one problem for Boris is that he is building up a huge backlog of awkward questions that would make any interview difficult even done by an incompetent journalist. I don't see how he can escape scrutiny in the medium term and during a future GE. Given that plus other character indicators he may quit while ahead with a bit of long Covid/ ill health/ exhaustion as the excuse whilst still ahead in the polls.

In a parliamentary democracy you are absolutely entitled to take the view that scrutiny is done by the House of Commons, select committees, LOTO and voters. Boris has spotted that in general being cross examined by forensic specialists like Andrew Neil is no more required of him than it is of PB readers. Sad for those who enjoy the show, but very wise. The job of journalists is to make government look idiots; why, from their point of view, help them?

They do a fine job of that without any journalists' involvement.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Andy_JS said:

Wouldn’t bet on it either. Twitter bubble said Hancock story would and that lasted days. Only Barnard Castle has moved the polls really.

This wasn’t even a u-turn for me as I didn’t check the news this morning before they decided to isolate. Starmer failing to capitalise with his pompous nasal voice on the 10 o clock news.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341

Scott_xP said:

What a joke.

Unfortunately yes. Jeremy Corbyn, which is why we have Johnson where he is today.
    People who fail to grasp that politics is relative not absolute are going to be puzzled for ever. It makes no difference that you are unsuitable. You just have to be less unsuitable than the other fellow. They are all unsuitable in absolute terms. Wanting the job at all renders you unsuitable.

• CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TimS said:

I think one of the reasons “herd immunity” triggers such negative reactions in public opinion is the word “herd”. Treating us like animals in other words.

Yet it’s a wonderful concept. Enough people are immune through infection and vaccination that those who aren’t are still protected from community spread.

People in my specific community are known to refer to humans as being “just another species”
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

rcs1000 said:

Citation
    How about all the people crying havoc about Boris removing all legal restrictions, something no other nation in Europe has done?
    rcs1000 said:

I don't think that's true - I think Denmark is more open than the UK.
    Debateable as it stands, but 100% definitely not the case as of midnight.

In Denmark you can't enter a gym, or attend any organised indoor sport events without a Corona Passport. In the UK you've been able to attend a gym without a Covid passport.

In Denmark you need a Corona Passport to enter restraurants, cafes and bars. You don't in the UK. In Denmark all restaraunts, cafes and bars much close no later than 2am.

In Denmark for massages, haircuts and tattoos etc you must present a Covid Passport. You don't in the UK.

In Denmark you can't enter a museum, amusement park, cinema, venues, zoos, stadiums or other sport venues without a corona passport. You can in the UK.

In Denmark all discos and nightclubs are closed, they will be open tonight in the UK.

In Denmark its illegal to have indoor events and activities of more than 250 people, all such restrictions are being abolished in the UK.

In Denmark a face mask is legally required on public transport. Its not in the UK from tomorrow.

https://en.coronasmitte.dk/rules-and-regulations
    Sure, but that's Denmark's way (like Israel's) of achieving close to 100% vaccine uptake. It's basically freedom, so long as you are willing to get jabbed.
    Sure, but that's not more free than the UK is it?

They pretty much have the same restrictions the UK had in Stage 3 but with the Covid passport in addition too. They're not at UK Stage 4 restrictions even with the passport yet.

At midnight tonight drinkers in bars up and down the UK will be able to go from bars to nightclubs, they won't in Denmark.
    I suppose however it is reasonable to ask whether that is actually due to the vaccine, or just because Denmark are being more cautious. To put everything down to the pace of the vaccine programme, and not to the individual choices made by politicians is probably
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?

I’m guessing you meant Tinder? Although not up with modern Young Conservative predilictions...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    Boris has gone to Chequers to self isolate reports BBC news
    HYUFD said:

Err...
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,333

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Johnson says he only ‘briefly’ considered not isolating: Boris Johnson says he only looked “briefly into the idea” of avoiding self-isolation through a daily contact testing pilot after being pinged by NHS test and trace.

He considered long enough to

1. issue a press release saying they were doing it
    2. send a minister on all the morning shows to defend them doing it.

BoZo thinks the people who vote for him are idiots.
    To be fair, you give the impression of thinking the same thing.
    to be fair, it's very difficult not to think that...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited July 2021
    stodge said:

Yet we remain well below the national average in terms of cases - as others have said, the 800-1000 daily positive returns we were getting around Christmas and New Year (probably a huge underestimation of the actual number of cases) suggested we had a very bad six weeks of cases.

Southwark starting to look dicey, I'd barricade the bridges just to be sure.
    Charles said:

TimS said:

I think one of the reasons “herd immunity” triggers such negative reactions in public opinion is the word “herd”. Treating us like animals in other words.

Yet it’s a wonderful concept. Enough people are immune through infection and vaccination that those who aren’t are still protected from community spread.

People in my specific community are known to refer to humans as being “just another species”
    We are.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Err...
    That’ll kill the story.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Growth in France is starting to go vertical:

Andy_JS said:

Sadly, you almost certainly right.
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?

Er. How do they breed to produce the approved Conservative family for election manifesto photos (and, eventually, IHT relief maximisation)? Do Conservatvie females breed by parthenogenesis?

Things must have changed a lot ...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Growth in France is starting to go vertical:

Good candidate for the red list then.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    How busy do we think the nightclubs will be in 24 hours?

The obvious answer is very busy, as people have not been able to go there in 17 months there will be pent up demand,

But, perhaps some young people will wait till second jabbed, for others this is univsaty exam time, some may have just got out of the habit.

what happens if they open the clubs and nobody comes?

Ok not nobody, just less than a normal Monday?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Yes, the most important and best part of it.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Ecstasy. Takes care of (c) (drinks unnecessary), (d) (just hug people and tell the you love them) and (e) (staying awake isn't a problem). Without drugs I agree clubbing doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    alex_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Citation
    How about all the people crying havoc about Boris removing all legal restrictions, something no other nation in Europe has done?
    rcs1000 said:

I don't think that's true - I think Denmark is more open than the UK.
    Debateable as it stands, but 100% definitely not the case as of midnight.

In Denmark you can't enter a gym, or attend any organised indoor sport events without a Corona Passport. In the UK you've been able to attend a gym without a Covid passport.

In Denmark you need a Corona Passport to enter restraurants, cafes and bars. You don't in the UK. In Denmark all restaraunts, cafes and bars much close no later than 2am.

In Denmark for massages, haircuts and tattoos etc you must present a Covid Passport. You don't in the UK.

In Denmark you can't enter a museum, amusement park, cinema, venues, zoos, stadiums or other sport venues without a corona passport. You can in the UK.

In Denmark all discos and nightclubs are closed, they will be open tonight in the UK.

In Denmark its illegal to have indoor events and activities of more than 250 people, all such restrictions are being abolished in the UK.

In Denmark a face mask is legally required on public transport. Its not in the UK from tomorrow.

https://en.coronasmitte.dk/rules-and-regulations
    Sure, but that's Denmark's way (like Israel's) of achieving close to 100% vaccine uptake. It's basically freedom, so long as you are willing to get jabbed.
    Sure, but that's not more free than the UK is it?

They pretty much have the same restrictions the UK had in Stage 3 but with the Covid passport in addition too. They're not at UK Stage 4 restrictions even with the passport yet.

At midnight tonight drinkers in bars up and down the UK will be able to go from bars to nightclubs, they won't in Denmark.
    I suppose however it is reasonable to ask whether that is actually due to the vaccine, or just because Denmark are being more cautious. To put everything down to the pace of the vaccine programme, and not to the individual choices made by politicians is probably
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?

I’m guessing you meant Tinder? Although not up with modern Young Conservative predilictions...
    She found him on Tinder. Then Lost him on Grindr.
    Rob Beckett, Mock the Week.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    I reckon in a month's time today's events will be pretty much completely forgotten. People will have other things to think about.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited July 2021

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    I've never been to a nightclub in my life but if other people want to do it I don't have a problem with it. Live and let live.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Ecstasy. Takes care of (c) (drinks unnecessary), (d) (just hug people and tell the you love them) and (e) (staying awake isn't a problem). Without drugs I agree clubbing doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    If you ever had the misfortune of visiting Big Doms nightclub even that wouldn't be enough....i pity the Durham Uni students for whom that was the only choice without leaving for the big smoke.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Mandy is incredible for club nights.
    edited July 2021
    Chris said:

I reckon in a month's time today's events will be pretty much completely forgotten. People will have other things to think about.

E.g. 200k cases a day or 2000 hospitalisations?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

On topic, how reliable do we think a poll taken on a (very nice) Sunday is? @Isam always says that the politically engaged are always over represented in polls; it may be even more true for this one.

Ah, @Isam still banned. Don't know why, but more's the pity.
    yes it's bollocks. STOP BANNING ISAM
    You could offer to take his place on the banned list, like some sort of hostage exchange?
    It seems pretty easy going here. What do you have to do to get a ban ?
    Repeatedly point out the boss is wrong
    Charles said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

On topic, how reliable do we think a poll taken on a (very nice) Sunday is? @Isam always says that the politically engaged are always over represented in polls; it may be even more true for this one.

You could offer to take his place on the banned list, like some sort of hostage exchange?
    Suggest radiohead are a crap band or python isn't the best programming language.....

Chris said:

You got there first, and I was only going to go with 150k
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

I think he gets banned for saying Enoch was right when the topic is something else entirely.

Or maybe it's something else. Truth is I'm not sure.
    Alistair said:

Chris said:

Prof Pantsdown this morning was suggesting 200k might be possible.
    Chris said:

Absolutely.

The new Premier League season will have begun.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Alistair said:

Hmm, yes. Vaccination percentages are a bit better than on the other side, but still pretty low. Lambeth at 60.8% for first doses and only 39.3% for second.

There was a suggestion with previous waves that it was only taken seriously when it was serious in London.

Chris said:

Absolutely.

More booing the taking the knee controversy.....
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

I think he gets banned for saying Enoch was right when the topic is something else entirely.

Yes, @isam is honest enough to state openly why he doesn't like immigrants. He doesn't pretend that it is just about housing.

He is quite a good tipster though, when he gets away from Powellism.

Alistair said:

Chris said:

• stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Alistair said:

stodge said:

Southwark starting to look dicey, I'd barricade the bridges just to be sure.
    No need - zero deaths and 26 hospital admissions despite 1,573 new positive tests.
    Terrible front pages for Johnson.

e.g.

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    37m
    Monday’s Daily TELEGRAPH: “Freedom day farce as PM urged to end ‘pingdemic’ “. #TomorrowsPapersToday

Alistair said:

Chris said:

Are you suggesting that we are under the control of a delusional talking toy? It does rather fit the facts...
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/3469943#Comment_3469943

This seems to be his last post.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited July 2021

Charles said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

Suggest radiohead are a crap band or python isn't the best programming language.....
    Whitespace should be used for nothing beyond personal or corporate formatting preferences.

I can and will code any language Except python for that reason.

Chris said:

Absolutely.

More booing the taking the knee controversy.....
    GB News finance team are hoping so.
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Chris said:

Are you suggesting that we are under the control of a delusional talking toy? It does rather fit the facts...
    This isn't flying, it is falling with style.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    edited July 2021
    BigRich said:

How busy do we think the nightclubs will be in 24 hours?

The obvious answer is very busy, as people have not been able to go there in 17 months there will be pent up demand,

But, perhaps some young people will wait till second jabbed, for others this is univsaty exam time, some may have just got out of the habit.

what happens if they open the clubs and nobody comes?

Ok not nobody, just less than a normal Monday?

The clubs are going to be rammed, it's not a particularly dangerous disease for the vast majority of 18 - 30s and they haven't been to a club for 17 months.
    We'll** probably head out with friends at some point but even double vaxxed I wouldn't dream of heading to them on the first big night, even if I was single.
    The clubs will probably outdo herd immunity via vaccination today tbh.

** I'm old lol
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    I've never been to a nightclub in my life but if other people want to do it I don't have a problem with it. Live and let live.
    Not even an open air disco at a holiday resort? You've surely experienced that even if you've remained at table.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,701
    Charles said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

I’ve got a few hundred quid as well as a nice meal at Trakol in Gateshead on the back of the recent by election bets I had that would disagree with that assertion.

Alistair said:

Hmm, yes. Vaccination percentages are a bit better than on the other side, but still pretty low. Lambeth at 60.8% for first doses and only 39.3% for second.

There was a suggestion with previous waves that it was only taken seriously when it was serious in London.
    Somewhat more than a suggestion.
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, @isam is honest enough to state openly why he doesn't like immigrants. He doesn't pretend that it is just about housing.

He can be quite engaging. Had some good chats with him. Also have a £300 bet running with him so he has to come back - if I win that is, otherwise no problem.

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    If you ever had the misfortune of visiting Big Doms nightclub even that wouldn't be enough....i pity the Durham Uni students for whom that was the only choice without leaving for the big smoke.
    Wait. Cummings ran a night club?
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

He's also usually agreeable and informed.
    Has a "red mist" attractor at times though.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    I can confirm there are Sam Smith's pubs with 'digital detox' signs banning the used of laptops, tablets and mobiles and which also only accept cash.

Very retro 1995.
    edited July 2021

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    His family owned a place called Klute in Durham.
    Are we counting Prof Ferguson's 200,000 cases at peak as a late entry to the PB prediction competition?

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

Innocuous.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    Andy_JS said:

Yes, he will get away with it

Just watched MSM TV news for the first time in ages

General jollity at his incompetence, plus the gorgeous weather, the Germans are drowning (always a nice distraction), suddenly loads of British sport - with big crowds - golf, F1, cricket - and we won at least two of those - then more nice weather news, then the thought of total unlockdown, yay!

The British people want to relax and to drink beer in the sun. Boris will be forgiven. He's Charles II, the Merry Monarch.

Of course, if Covid returns to ravage us.....
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Didn't you catch the morphic resonance when he had Sonia Khan escorted from the premises by security? Or when the next day he told spads that if they didn't like his management style they could "f*** off"?

Are we counting Prof Ferguson's 200,000 cases at peak as a late entry to the PB prediction competition?

Only if we know his PB name.

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    It was a board gaming venue presumably with side rooms for courses on chaos theory or the art of war?
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Not even an open air disco at a holiday resort? You've surely experienced that even if you've remained at table.
    Wish I could say I had never been to a night club...
    Foxy said:

Only if we know his PB name.
    Chris or Alistair?

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    It was a board gaming venue presumably with side rooms for courses on chaos theory or the art of war?
    Seventies themed place for expensive call girls and voyeurs?

Also is this price is right rules? Over estimate don't count?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    The clubs in Newcastle are basically fully booked tonight. One is even holding a delayed new years party.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Aye I’ve been and it was a shithole

The clubs in Newcastle are basically fully booked tonight. One is even holding a delayed new years party.

Party like its 1999... hospitalisations per day....
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    Gnud said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Didn't you catch the morphic resonance when he had Sonia Khan escorted from the premises by security? Or when the next day he told spads that if they didn't like his management style they could "f*** off"?
    His uncle owned it. That was the same uncle he ran the campaign with against the North East England assembly. They alleged that the assembly would be all about feathering politicians' nests and taking away much-valued medical care from the masses.

The nightclub was billed Europe's "second worst"...but then the worst one (in Belgrade) burned down.
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

General jollity at his incompetence, plus the gorgeous weather, the Germans are drowning (always a nice distraction), suddenly loads of British sport - with big crowds - golf, F1, cricket - and we won at least two of those - then more nice weather news, then the thought of total unlockdown, yay!

The British people want to relax and to drink beer in the sun. Boris will be forgiven. He's Charles II, the Merry Monarch.

One hopes that you are not alluding to Charles Stuart's, erm, more personal attributes.

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    Aye I’ve been and it was a shithole
    I went to visit a uni friend and went once...i remember asking where the toilets were and i was told just follow the smell of piss.... condition on further visits to see said friend, not going to that shit hole again.
  • franklynfranklyn Posts: 297

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    What sort of ghastly clubs do you go to. I am a member of the Reform, in Pall Mall, and one never needs anything stronger that the club claret to have a splendid time, No problem with the volume of noise either. I can't vouch for what might go on at the Atheneum or Pratts.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    Alistair said:
    Foul outside the box, there was a second foul inside the box; but it wasn't a continuation of the original foul. Free kick and yellow.
    Gnud said:

Gnud said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

Have I missed anything?
    His uncle owned it. That was the same uncle he ran the campaign with against the North East England assembly, alleging that the assembly was all about feathering politicians' nests and taking away medical care from the masses.

The nightclub was billed Europe's "second worst"...but then the worst one (in Belgrade) burned down.
    Second worst is quite an accolade. I did go to one in Switzerland that could have been the inspiration for the one in the Inbetweeners Movie:

https://youtu.be/e7wBGekB2-w
    edited July 2021
    And another tennis player out of Olympics with the COVID...

https://twitter.com/CocoGauff/status/1416834632188796929?s=19
    Chester Cathedral
    @ChesterCath
    · 28m
    We thank you all for your feedback regarding an intention to ring the Cathedral bells tomorrow marking “Freedom Day”.

We apologise sincerely for the insensitivity of this plan and for any upset cause.

The bells will not ring tomorrow.
    "My daughter went out with a Muslim" is a new variant of the traditional defence.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/sunderland-councillor-says-is-not-21081761
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

He's Charles II, the Merry Monarch.

I'll point out that I made the Boris / Charles II comparison last week.

Very happy for others to use it but if it enters into general circulation I want my 15 minutes :wink:

That herd immunity wont get itself to the door you know.
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:
    Foul outside the box, there was a second foul inside the box; but it wasn't a continuation of the original foul. Free kick and yellow.
    So ignoring the outside the box foul I genuinely think the Canadian player is at fault for the inside the box incident. He changes his line and clatters the American.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    First dose percentage in Lambeth of 70-90 year olds is ~80%. Quite a few of the 20% are going to die.

Such a senseless waste when we have the vaccines available.
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

tlg86 said:

Innocuous.
    shouldn’t call it banned, should call it cancelled

I can confirm there are Sam Smith's pubs with 'digital detox' signs banning the used of laptops, tablets and mobiles and which also only accept cash.

Very retro 1995.

I went to the brewery once back in the 80s. Saw the squares. Drank a lot in the little bar at the end of tour.
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

First dose percentage in Lambeth of 70-90 year olds is ~80%. Quite a few of the 20% are going to die.

In order to turn that around, what is the reason for as high as 20%
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Having to have vaccine proof isnt freedom
    In California, one needs proof of vaccination against measles (and various other things) to go to public school.

If covid is added to the list of things one is required to be vaccinated against, is that tyranny? Or sanity?
    There is a large difference between a one off proof and having to show it everywhere you might want to go. One is more like show me your provisional licence before you can take a driving test....the other is leave house....go to cinema show vaxport...leave cinema...goto restaurant...show vaxport...leave restaurant....goto bar show vaxport multiply by number of days you go out
    That's a distinction without a difference: in both cases you are making vaccinating effectively compulsory.

Anyone got a list of the highest and lowest areas for vaccination ?

Might show some interesting correlations to demographics, housing, voting etc.
This discussion has been closed.