Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Inevitably the front pages are once again dominated by the football – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2021 in General
imageInevitably the front pages are once again dominated by the football – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• A pity
  • valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    First? not like England
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    Is anyone "gutted" ? i managed a "oh well" at the end .
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Lots of people, why would you be affect surprise in the slightest about that when getting invested in team success and failure is at the heart of a lot of sports watching?
  • Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178

Ove tried to not be too invested
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232

I'm disappointed but it was probably the just result in the end. England are doing well in tournaments at last, but they're still not yet quite the finished article.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    It's just a meh result. Might as well toss a coin. Why can't we have 4-2 scorelines?
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    It looked like Southgate had got lucky with his tactical change when enthused wing backs contrived a goal before any game plan could get going. But fact is, Southgate change to back five surrendered too much possession and territory. He should have kept a back 4 front 3 and replaced Mount with Henderson to go toe to toe with the Italians in the midfield, we would have created more chances that way, and that would have been our best chance of taking the win. Instead we spent too much of this game on back foot when we should have had more possession and chances of our own.

Can call it a great run, lots of fun, but truth is we haven’t sealed the deal with home advantage. Both the World Cup and this tournament fixtures opened up chance for a good run - true, we should be strong entery into next years WC, but we could meet a Belgium, France, Italy much sooner than semi and final.

This was an historic missed opportunity this evening.

Ticketless fans getting in, in the numbers they clearly have should be treated very seriously. That’s the type of thing that can create lots of deaths.

Horrid to see Saka so nervous when stepping up, and so broken at end.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Let's not forget England were still ahead with just 23 minutes to go.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Andy_JS said:

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1414353782041894919

Does Ron Liddle have positions? He seems to just jump on bandwagons

Referring to an Italian player as 'swarthy'? I'm amazed he didn't append the w-word. What an unpleasant piece of work 'Blue Labour' Riddle is.
    Nothing wrong with the word swarthy AFAIK.
    Context matters, and tone. I could substitute out a bad word for a less bad one, but I could make my intended meaning pretty clear all the same, and my protestations would ring pretty hollow.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Damn right that they've done us proud. 🦁🦁🦁♥
  • Glad I'm not in Central this evening, apparently it is grim grim grim
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    After hubris comes nemesis.
  • valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    Beaten by a more street wise team.
    I called it for Italy before the game and I am calling England World Cup winners in Qatar. The team will only get better.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Yawn
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    FPT.
    Just seen Donnarumma player of the tournament?
    Am I deluded, or do I know nowt about football?
    He wouldn't be in my top 3 Italians.
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Italy win, it all went wrong then when Rashford spent all his time campaigning against the government rather than practicing his penalties

You should hope nobody screenshots that and lets the media know.

You'd be resigning your seat.
    No I most certainly would not it is what many were thinking and I got several likes for it on twitter.

There was nothing remotely racist about it, if Rashford had spent as much time practising his football as he had campaigning against government policy who knows what might have happened.

He is a highly paid professional footballer at the end of the day, if he wants to be a full time political campaigner he should do so and give up the football
    You have absolutely no awareness and to be honest best advice is to have an early night, though it is not early
    Yes the usual anti Johnson crowd on here (including you) and PB thought police will pile on but tough it was an entirely reasonable comment
    Does it not cut both ways, that the PM should stop fucking about getting involved in football photo ops and get on with governing the country?
    He'd then have far more time for...driving forklifts, posing with vaccines, observing building sites, etc.
    The serious folks in government must have a special team keeping his diary full of silly things to do, with extra points for events a long way from London
    Please send him to Scotland.
    dixiedean said:

FPT.
    Just seen Donnarumma player of the tournament?
    Am I deluded, or do I know nowt about football?
    He wouldn't be in my top 3 Italians.

How crap was the actual trophy for it though! Looked like a "home sweet home " sign you get from a car boot sale for 50p
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,492
    valleyboy said:

Beaten by a more street wise team.
    I called it for Italy before the game and I am calling England World Cup winners in Qatar. The team will only get better.

Hope you’re right!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    kle4 said:

Good on the Metro for the right tone. A loss, but the future feels better as an England fan - now it will be a disappointment to go out early, rather than expectation.

Agreed.

The England team are very solid - albeit perhaps too defensive in their mindset. They are very difficult to break down, and the fact they only let two goals in in the whole tournament is quite extraodinary.

I think they might well improve when Kane moves on.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited July 2021
    The front page photos of Southgate comforting Saka exactly parallel Venables comforting Southgate 25 years ago.

ETA in fact I'm surprised the picture editors have not juxtaposed them.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967

You certainly learnt that 18/09/14.

Did you lose much money that night ?
    gealbhan said:

It looked like Southgate had got lucky with his tactical change when enthused wing backs contrived a goal before any game plan could get going. But fact is, Southgate change to back five surrendered too much possession and territory. He should have kept a back 4 front 3 and replaced Mount with Henderson to go toe to toe with the Italians in the midfield, we would have created more chances that way, and that would have been our best chance of taking the win. Instead we spent too much of this game on back foot when we should have had more possession and chances of our own.

Can call it a great run, lots of fun, but truth is we haven’t sealed the deal with home advantage. Both the World Cup and this tournament fixtures opened up chance for a good run - true, we should be strong entery into next years WC, but we could meet a Belgium, France, Italy much sooner than semi and final.

Ticketless fans getting in, in the numbers they clearly have should be treated very seriously. That’s the type of thing that can create lots of deaths.

As I argued on previous thread. That is summat we'll never know.
    But I reckon matching up with the Italians in midfield wouldn't have worked.
    As they are simply better.
    We did well to get to penalties. The best team in the tournament won.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Good on the Metro for the right tone. A loss, but the future feels better as an England fan - now it will be a disappointment to go out early, rather than expectation.

Agreed.

The England team are very solid - albeit perhaps too defensive in their mindset. They are very difficult to break down, and the fact they only let two goals in in the whole tournament is quite extraodinary.

On the positive side, England really do have a whole array of world class talent (both in the squad and coming through) that hasn't really been true for donkeys years. The task is how to get the best of them in a single team.

Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Greenwood, Rashford, Saka, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Curtis Jones to name a few.

The likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold are still only 22.
    Floater said:

Yawn
    Yawn

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Agreed.

Look how deep Kane had to drop to find the ball. Against top class teams, England has had a problem getting the ball to its strikers ever since David Beckham retired.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,261
    edited July 2021
    I see someone got banned - who was that?

England did really better than most of us expected - can't win them all. Embarrassed by some of our fans though, even if Leon thinks them just being manly.

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Agreed.

On the positive side, England really do have a whole array of world class talent (both in the squad and coming through) that hasn't really been true for donkeys years. The task is how to get the best of them in a single team.

Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Greenwood, Rashford, Saka, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Curtis Jones to name a few.

The likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold are still only 22.
    And our goalie has 8 years plus.
    edited July 2021

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Agreed.

Look how deep Kane had to drop to find the ball. Against top class teams, England has had a problem getting the ball to its strikers ever since David Beckham retired.
    The problem is Maguire and Stones are too slow against world class attackers, so they have to play 3 at the back and / or 2 holding midfielders (I should say I thought Rice was outstanding in the first half as more attack minded).

Hopefully somebody like Bellingham can be the player that become the link player or perhaps Trent Alexander Arnold.

England did really better than most of us expected - can't win them all. Embarrassed by some of our fans though, even if Leon thinks them just being manly.

FUDHY I think. The mod said that if anyone screenshot his post and sent it to the media, he’d have to resign his seat.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Oh well. I had a bet on 1-1 at end of normal time.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,457
    Italy deserved to win, they were the better team.

But Leeds Utd could have won it for England, if only Southgate had entrusted that fateful last penalty to the wondrous Kalvin Phillips.

Yours in wisdom, Marcelo Bielsa.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909

No 55%
    Yes 45%
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

Can't win them all? England haven't won a tournament for 55 years lol!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    Authentically European team: Win

Pathetically Knee Taking Marxist Wankers: Lose

Lesson there
    dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

If I may be immodest, I posted on 2 July that Italy would win the tournament. I did think, watching the first game of the tournament, they were in with a good chance. The more I saw of them the more likely it seemed to me.

It’s a shame I’m too much of a tight Yorkshireman to risk losing any brass by actually betting.

And it’s also a shame we just couldn’t get over the line. So proud of this England team.

Well done!

My family lost 1000 SEK, as my wife had England in the office sweepstake. She was pretty glum, but the rest of the household… wasn’t.

Glad I'm not in Central this evening, apparently it is grim grim grim

Not what I saw. Just drove through

A lot of police, but the fans are mainly drifting home in the rain after the loser Southgate lost again
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

FUDHY I think. The mod said that if anyone screenshot his post and sent it to the media, he’d have to resign his seat.
    Nah, bloke called borissomething. But let's not forget the first rule of fight club...

Draw at 90 minutes 2/1 or 9/4 was the obvious bet. Can't think why I didn't take it; I certainly meant to.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

I prefer to see a great game where the better team wins. I thought the game was dull. Not a patch on the Spain Italy game or even England Denmark. A very disappointing final. A great shame France or Belgium didn't get through. Great players and exciting teams. England flattered to deceive by not playing any of the better teams till the final. Germany are well past their best

No 55%
    Yes 45%
    Improving the Yes vote from 28% to 45% was hardly nemesis.

Don't think so. His post was crass but not red card material.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,151
    😠😠😠😠😠
    GIN1138 said:

Er, true. Still, there are 180 nations at last count, so if we win every 90 years we're beating the odds.

Sort of.
    Leon said:

Lesson there

In what way are England not an “authentically European team”?
    Los Angeles County reports 1,113 new coronavirus cases, up 143% from last week and the biggest one-day increase since March 11

GIN1138 said:

Er, true. Still, there are 180 nations at last count, so if we win every 90 years we're beating the odds.

Sort of.
    Should that not be 360 years ?
    Will there be a new Pizza ad coming out?
    Roger said:

I prefer to see a great game where the better team wins. I thought the game was dull. Not a patch on the Spain Italy game or even England Denmark. A very disappointing final. A great shame France or Belgium didn't get through. Great players and exciting teams. England flattered to deceive by not playing any of the better teams till the final. Germany are well past their best
    Finals often are dull. Ironically, Italy were lucky to squeeze past Spain (on penalties) in the semi-final.
    Roger said:

Crickey I pretty enough agree with Roger.....does this mean I have to go and watch GB News for 24hrs as my punishment?
  • Leon said:

A lot of police, but the fans are mainly drifting home in the rain after the loser Southgate lost again
    It's obviously different when you make it up inside your head

Leon said:

Lesson there

Brexit innit

Ah - didn't see that. I don't think I'd have squealed, not sure anyone would - as Leon said recently, we're a sort of family.
    O/T

"Pin resets wipe all data from over 100 Treasury mobile phones
    Permanent secretary Tom Scholar among those affected after entering incorrect passwords repeatedly"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/12/pin-resets-wipe-all-data-from-over-100-treasury-mobile-phones

Ok, in that case I missed the post in question. But it does beg the question if FUDHY’s post was bad enough to force him to resign his seat, why was it insufficient to get him a PB ban?

Leon said:

Bur... I just did. I was in Hackney with mates watching the match, then I came home, via central London. Why on earth would I lie about that?!

Anecdote:

When Marcus Rashford came on to fuck everything up, the crowd in the pub launched into a sarcastic version of "Feed the World, let them know it's...." etc

When he did that terrible penalty, this was sung again with renewed and expressive vigour. And derision. This will haunt the rest of his career. Oh well. Them's the breaks
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Permanent secretary Tom Scholar among those affected after entering incorrect passwords repeatedly"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/12/pin-resets-wipe-all-data-from-over-100-treasury-mobile-phones

Maybe all memory of our National Debt is gone? Yippee
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,837
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Let's not forget England were still ahead with just 23 minutes to go.

Much later even. Italy missed first in the penalties. We led that 2/1.
    You cannot come closer to winning a tournament without winning it than we have just done. Losing on the 10th and final kick of a penalty shootout in the final. Terrific performance by the team and the manager. And such a bummer.
    I'm going to Whitstable.

dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

If I may be immodest, I posted on 2 July that Italy would win the tournament. I did think, watching the first game of the tournament, they were in with a good chance. The more I saw of them the more likely it seemed to me.

It’s a shame I’m too much of a tight Yorkshireman to risk losing any brass by actually betting.

And it’s also a shame we just couldn’t get over the line. So proud of this England team.
    Yeah. Me too. We got the maximum out of our ability, helped by a favourable draw and no injuries. As @FrancisUrquhart points our we are young enough to go again.
    There's no one in this side won't be around next year, or even 3 or 5 years time given a fair wind. You certainly can't say that about Italy, Belgium, Germany or Spain.
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Well, that's convenient. Embarrassing messages? Jut flub your password and IT will magic them away before the inquiry.

Roger said:

Crickey I pretty enough agree with Roger.....does this mean I have to go and watch GB News for 24hrs as my punishment?
    Yes, it was a poor final. Italy deserved to win

What concerns me is that England will keep Southgate blah blah blah

Why? He is tedious and defensive yet blessed with an amazing squad. Get rid. And he is now a confirmed jinx and penalty hoodoo-owner, If we have to keep losing, let us at least do it in style, not this nervous shite

Leon said:

Lesson there

Brexit innit
    Huh? Does the result of a vote somehow change elementary geography? Democracy is far more powerful than I thought it was.

No, that’s not what Sean meant. We all know what he meant, and as usual with Sean it’s pretty repulsive.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Bur... I just did. I was in Hackney with mates watching the match, then I came home, via central London. Why on earth would I lie about that?!

Anecdote:

When Marcus Rashford came on to fuck everything up, the crowd in the pub launched into a sarcastic version of "Feed the World, let them know it's...." etc

When he did that terrible penalty, this was sung again with renewed and expressive vigour. And derision. This will haunt the rest of his career. Oh well. Them's the breaks
    And then everyone cheered and the Albanian taxi driver...
    Leon said:

Lesson there

That's really boring. Seriously, it is.

Ok, in that case I missed the post in question. But it does beg the question if FUDHY’s post was bad enough to force him to resign his seat, why was it insufficient to get him a PB ban?
    It wasn't, though it might not help his Westminster chances. Basically he linked Rashford's penalty miss with his free school meals campaigning. Notwithstanding there is no conceivable link, even Dominic Cummings thought HMG was on the wrong side of history.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Anecdote:

I think you've had one too many tonight squire.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Anecdote:

The fact he caused the government of Boris Johnson some discomfort really has upset you hasn't it.
    But... that penalty.

We all saw it
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Why? He is tedious and defensive yet blessed with an amazing squad. Get rid. And he is now a confirmed jinx and penalty hoodoo-owner, If we have to keep losing, let us at least do it in style, not this nervous shite
    Stop boring me. I mean it.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Ooh. What will you do?!

Some idiot screenshotted it.

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    gealbhan said:

Horrible.

It seems obvious that the players who are the best at penalties in training are not necessarily the players who will be the best at penalties in the horrendous situation of a shoot-out. You can't replicate it realistically in advance.

Maybe it would be better to give them to players who contributed something to the match, so that they aren't defined by a single kick. Someone like Shaw, in this instance. Coming on just to kick the ball once seems like an awful burden.

It was that "Borisatsun" character one hopes. A truly grim specimen.
    "Correspondent’s diary
    A night to forget: among the English fans that embarrass their country

Our correspondent donned red to cheer Denmark at Wembley stadium. For that he got middle fingers, mimed masturbation, then a punch"

https://www.economist.com/diary/2021/07/09/a-night-to-forget-the-english-fans-that-embarrass-their-country
    Leon said:

Roger said:

World Cup next year. No time for a change and no obvious candidate.
    My twitter timeline is now starting to fill with videos of and reports of fighting / stabbing / throwing people in the Thames in London....
    kinabalu said:

Yes, it was, and it was.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Anecdote:

And then everyone cheered and the Albanian taxi driver...
    It's true! The Tredegar, Hackney, I saw it wiv my own eyes

https://thelordtredegar.co.uk/

To be fair it was a pretty good natured crowd that took defeat well. They were barracking all the penalty missers in different creative ways. Then everyone went home in a subdued fashion

We have all been here before. At least the Union is saved

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Maybe all memory of our National Debt is gone? Yippee
    About a third of UK debt is held overseas, so you’d better hope that a lot of Russian, Chinese and Yankee twats also entered the wrong pin code four times in a row.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Ooh. What will you do?!
    Go to Whitstable.

But seriously, shit is fine if it's entertaining or original. This is just shit.

Leon said:

Roger said:

Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind be considering changing the 2nd most successful England manager in history?
    Apart from him not being overtly right wing enough, that is?
    kinabalu said:

I assumed it was him.
    edited July 2021
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind be considering changing the 2nd most successful England manager in history?
    Apart from him not being overtly right wing enough, that is?
    I think his problem was more who he failed to play on the right wing ;-)
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    edited July 2021

Floater said:

Yawn
    Yawn

I wish you wankers had the bottle to actually fuck off and leave the UK. Sadly you didn't and we're stuck with the stench of a dead country that can't find its own dick because it's fallen off.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited July 2021

My twitter timeline is now starting to fill with videos of and reports of fighting / stabbing / throwing people in the Thames in London....

Doesn't sound good. This reminds of the ugliness in the aftermath of Italia 90 and Euro 96. We still have a fan problem hanging onto the coat-tails of England in this country, unfortunately. There was progress at the end of the '90s and early 2000s, but it seems as if the FA are going to have to get back to work again in trying to change our fan culture, and who follows the England team. You couldn't ask for much more from the team itself.

gealbhan said:

Horrible.

It seems obvious that the players who are the best at penalties in training are not necessarily the players who will be the best at penalties in the horrendous situation of a shoot-out. You can't replicate it realistically in advance.

Maybe it would be better to give them to players who contributed something to the match, so that they aren't defined by a single kick. Someone like Shaw, in this instance. Coming on just to kick the ball once seems like an awful burden.
    Being so young and inexperienced will not have helped either. The main thing, though, was probably just to make the substitutions earlier. The players would then have got into the game and might even have meant we did not need penalties. Italy certainly seemed to benefit from fresh legs.

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Lesson there

That's really boring. Seriously, it is.
    Leon was claiming taking the knee was an act of team building genius the other day.

Very erudite, great writer, but more faces than the town hall clock. The boy’s all over the fucking place. If we’d won he’d be singing the Internationale.
    Behind the fireworks prose and the awesome knowledge of people & places there radiates an essential dimness.

:smile:

Anyway ... Whitstable.

Take care chaps.

Doesn't sound good. That reminds of the ugliness in the aftermath of Italia 90, and Euro 96. England still have a fan problem.
    Its hard to judge...lots of fake news / "game of telephone" on twitter, but there is definitely 4 videos I have seen of groups fighting, which I have no reason to doubt are from now.
    One of the advantages of age is that "sporting defeat" means less, and less, as the years go by. It is just life.

On my table in that Hackney pub was a younger woman who was just inconsolable, having been recently introduced to, and enthused, by English football, she was utterly convinced we would win

I tried to solace her but in the end you just have to take the scars, until you are an old git like me who has seen it all before, and it bounces off

We should sack Southgate, however. Do not reward failure

Night night
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

One of the advantages of age is that "sporting defeat" means less, and less, as the years go by. It is just life.

On my table in that Hackney pub was a younger woman who was just inconsolable, having been recently introduced to, and enthused, by English football, she was utterly convinced we would win

I tried to solace her but in the end you just have to take the scars, until you are an old git like me who has seen it all before, and it bounces off

We should sack Southgate, however. Do not reward failure

Night night

‘We should sack Southgate, however. Do not reward failure’

Most successful England manager since Alf Ramsey. Young team, who seem to think the world of Southgate, who have got years of development and potential ahead of them. Playing with style and a confidence that doesn’t make you feel like it could all fall apart at any minute.

Sack Southgate. Jesus.

Edit: I’d love to have a pint with you though Leon, I bet in real life you’re a fucking diamond.

gealbhan said:

Horrible.

Being so young and inexperienced will not have helped either. The main thing, though, was probably just to make the substitutions earlier. The players would then have got into the game and might even have meant we did not need penalties. Italy certainly seemed to benefit from fresh legs.
    Indeed, although I wouldn't have had Rashford at right back for too long.

I didn't understand his penalty either. Surely when under pressure the fewer moving parts you have the better. It is all very well doing that on the training pitch.

Still, they've kept us entertained for a month in a pandemic. You can't fault them for that.
    The fewer moving parts the better.
    Must say it was fascinating to compare goalies.
    Pickford was a hyperactive Duracell bunny.
    Donnarumma a Zen like still.
    2 saves each.
    Cuba reports 6,923 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase so far, and a record 47 new deaths
This discussion has been closed.