Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Inevitably the front pages are once again dominated by the football – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

**.... tiptoes in gently. Sees that PB still talking about football.

Quietly leaves this - https://barry-walsh.co.uk/hiding-in-plain-sight/ - and this - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/20/revealed-the-grim-list-of-sex-abuse-claims-against-metropolitan-police - here.

Tiptoes out muttering "Il calcio e tornato a casa" .....**

@Cyclefree, you're Italian for God's sake!

As the bloke in The Italian Job spake:

"Well, look 'appy, you stupid bastards! We won, didn't we?!"

:lol:

She's being supremely tactful.
    A friend in italy reports much spontaneous joy, singing and fireworks. Zero violence or aggression to Brits as far as she can see.

Why is fan behaviour so much worse in Britain? Genuine question - I have no idea.
    We have a drinking culture which goes back decades. Italy like most European countries doesn't. The licensing laws had a lot to do with it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

I see someone got banned - who was that?

England did really better than most of us expected - can't win them all. Embarrassed by some of our fans though, even if Leon thinks them just being manly.

FUDHY I think. The mod said that if anyone screenshot his post and sent it to the media, he’d have to resign his seat.
    Ah - didn't see that. I don't think I'd have squealed, not sure anyone would - as Leon said recently, we're a sort of family.
    It wasn’t anything. He said we would have won if Rashford had spent more time practicing and less time campaigning. Typical pointless argument from him.
    He was just being funny. It's his dry sense of humour. I was surprised people were getting hot under the collar about it
    HYUFD was banned?!
    Nah. It was @borisatsun for some obnoxious racist stuff. Rightly banned imo.

@HYUFD just left himself open to being publicly embarassed as an elected Conservative making ridiculous posts... if anyone can be bothered.
    No I was not banned and I said the same thing in my WhatsApp for local Tories after I posted it here and most of them agreed with me.

The fact is Rashford was openly campaigning for Labour policy, he became too political given he is still a highly paid professional footballer with other things to concentrate on.

It was nothing to do with BLM or the knee which I see as personal choice though I am sceptical of the Marxism within the BLM manifesto now to dismantle capitalism obviously
    HYUFD, you are wrong, and you have been posting questionable nonsense on here for the last twelve hours.

If you believe Rashford was being overtly party political, you are also wrong. If anything, Labour jumped onto the Rashford bandwagon rather than the other way around.
    I think that's factually correct, though we were right to jump on it as it was a good cause. But anyway - how would Tories doing this stuff feel if Rashford had scored the winner and we said "This shows that Rashford and Lsbour were right"? They'd say "Idiots!" and they'd be right. Footballers sometimes score and sometimes miss an opportunity. There is NO political significance in it either way.
    It may have been a cheap point but nonetheless there was clearly a partisan divide on Rashford's campaign.

For example, while 71% of Labour voters backed Rashford's campaign for schools to provide food during the holidays to those on free school meals with just 17% opposed and 67% of LD voters also backed his campaign, 47% of Tory voters opposed Rashford's campaign to only 40% in favour
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1317126424587833344?s=20
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,117

kle4 said:

I must say, the racist tweets I saw quoted by Sunder Katwala this morning really don't sound like they were written by English people.

If you wanted to sow division and hatred in a country, this is the kind of thing you would do, isn't it?

I think its been established before that even a lot of things that seem like they must be by bots, for example, often are not. Simplest explanation is usually the best, and conspiracy is not the simplest.
    It was probably said by people.

Just not by English people.

Look at the language. English people don't speak like that.

What proof do you have the perpetrators were English people...?
    A New Age airhead has defaced a mural of Marcus Rashford with a howl of meaningless psychobabble. No proper Englishman could utter a sentence like that:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-57803161
    Lol
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1414539672781574146

Boris Johnson and Patel have blood on their hands

If the racist abuse came from the stands, then you may have a point. But why anyone gives a fuck about Twitter, I don’t know.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,509
    SandraMc said:

We have now had 3 threads in a row about football. I personally find the issues raised by Cyclefree about sexism in the police far more interesting - and disturbing.

Boris 76. Football 3.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2021
    Tory MP Natalie Elphicke is forced into grovelling climbdown after saying Marcus Rashford should have practised taking penalties instead of 'playing politics' by campaigning for free school meals

The odd thing, is this is almost word for word what one user said here last night, somebody we know is a member of the Tory Party and I believe an elected representative. Is this a line going around CCHQ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

I think blaming politicians for the actions of mobs when they have not incited said mobs to action is a step too far when ascribing blood on hands. I think you need far more direct connection than seems to exist for such a strong allegation. It devalues the allegation for when much more direct connection exists.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited July 2021

kle4 said:

I must say, the racist tweets I saw quoted by Sunder Katwala this morning really don't sound like they were written by English people.

If you wanted to sow division and hatred in a country, this is the kind of thing you would do, isn't it?

I think its been established before that even a lot of things that seem like they must be by bots, for example, often are not. Simplest explanation is usually the best, and conspiracy is not the simplest.

A New Age airhead has defaced a mural of Marcus Rashford with a howl of meaningless psychobabble. No proper Englishman could utter a sentence like that:

Fair enough, but this does not prove that the social media abuse these players got came from England.

All I'm doing is to try to calm down tensions here.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2021

Gary Neville is about as impartial as you. He hates the Tories, he hates Boris, he hates Brexit, he advocated people voted Corbyn, and lockdowns, if watch the class of 92 latest series he screams around off the handle about being lockdown restrictions etc.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,695

Tory MP Natalie Elphicke is forced into grovelling climbdown after saying Marcus Rashford should have practised taking penalties instead of 'playing politics' by campaigning for free school meals

The odd thing, is this is almost word for word what one user said here last night, is this a line going around CCHQ?

I've been wondering of late. The way HYUFD is suddenly all worried about having an English Parliament, after Mr Gove deletes EVEL for no clear reason that I can discern.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,163
    I see The Savills employees racist tweets seems to have cost them a large sale.

https://twitter.com/rachael_swindon/status/1414498244730802177?s=21
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    Panorama tonight on Long Covid.
    According to the teaser they are close to a blood test for it. No idea if this leads to better treatment, but may be a start.
  • Options

Gary Neville is about as impartial as you. He hates the Tories, he hates Boris, he hates Brexit, he advocated people voted Corbyn.
    It doesn't make him wrong. You just don't want to accept that racism in football is a clear and obvious problem - and it is now very clear that taking the knee was the right thing to do.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

The odd thing, is this is almost word for word what one user said here last night, somebody we know is a member of the Tory Party and I believe an elected representative. Is this a line going around CCHQ?

Maybe HYUFD is really Natalie Elphicke?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,169

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Gary Neville on Sky News: 'I'm just reading your breaking news and it says "PM condemns racist abuse of England players"... the prime minister said it was okay for the population of this country to boo those players who were trying to promote equality and defend against racism.'
    https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/1414493438163173377

Did sky highlight the fact that he was a Corbyn supporter?
    What has that got to do with anything? Neville's observation is either right or wrong. I despise Corbyn with a vengeance, however I interpret Neville's analysis to be accurate.
    I would agree with Neville's observation but I'm irritated by his using his football commentary platform platform to make it. It is also fair comment by those who disagree that he supported the worst political leader in modern British history.
    That is a fair point, but of no consequence to the actual analysis. Neville is either right or wrong.

And couldn't agree more with your analysis of Corbyn, once again in this instance, it is not the point.
  • Options

Or maybe they are one and the same??
  • Options
    edited July 2021

A dumb line if so. It doesn't even work on a practical level since its hard to accept they genuinely believe a whole bunch of campaigning mostly some time ago, has affected his ability to take penalties as he has been in training every day for a month. So it just comes across as a petty complaint about a battle that was already conceded by the PM, why reopen it?

As to whether it is a line, I'd suspect it's more just multiple people thinking it is such a clever and killer line that it must be shared with the world, then finding out it isn't very clever at all.

Happens with my comments a lot.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Gary Neville is about as impartial as you. He hates the Tories, he hates Boris, he hates Brexit, he advocated people voted Corbyn.
    It doesn't make him wrong. You just don't want to accept that racism in football is a clear and obvious problem - and it is now very clear that taking the knee was the right thing to do.
    Is it....my take as been quite simple from the start, that i think you need a unifying approach, that takes everybody (but the racists) with you and it is consistently shown in the polling to be divisive.

That's why the NFL and NBA came up with alternative approaches.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A dumb line if so. It doesn't even work on a practical level since its hard to accept they genuinely believe a whole bunch of campaigning mostly some time ago, has affected his ability to take penalties as he has been in training every day for a month. So it just comes across as petty complaint about a battle that was already conceded by the PM, why reopen it?

As to whether it is a line, I'd suspect it's more just multiple people thinking it is such a clever and killer line that it must be shared with the world, then finding out it isn't very clever at all.

According to JoB, it was posted just after 11.

HYUFD posted just after 11, the same thing.
  • Options
    I am convinced HYUFD is an MP.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Oops. @Roger first to the ball.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

England did really better than most of us expected - can't win them all. Embarrassed by some of our fans though, even if Leon thinks them just being manly.

FUDHY I think. The mod said that if anyone screenshot his post and sent it to the media, he’d have to resign his seat.
    Ah - didn't see that. I don't think I'd have squealed, not sure anyone would - as Leon said recently, we're a sort of family.
    It wasn’t anything. He said we would have won if Rashford had spent more time practicing and less time campaigning. Typical pointless argument from him.
    He was just being funny. It's his dry sense of humour. I was surprised people were getting hot under the collar about it
    HYUFD was banned?!

@HYUFD just left himself open to being publicly embarassed as an elected Conservative making ridiculous posts... if anyone can be bothered.
    No I was not banned and I said the same thing in my WhatsApp for local Tories after I posted it here and most of them agreed with me.

The fact is Rashford was openly campaigning for Labour policy, he became too political given he is still a highly paid professional footballer with other things to concentrate on.

It was nothing to do with BLM or the knee which I see as personal choice though I am sceptical of the Marxism within the BLM manifesto now to dismantle capitalism obviously
    HYUFD, you are wrong, and you have been posting questionable nonsense on here for the last twelve hours.

If you believe Rashford was being overtly party political, you are also wrong. If anything, Labour jumped onto the Rashford bandwagon rather than the other way around.
    I think that's factually correct, though we were right to jump on it as it was a good cause. But anyway - how would Tories doing this stuff feel if Rashford had scored the winner and we said "This shows that Rashford and Lsbour were right"? They'd say "Idiots!" and they'd be right. Footballers sometimes score and sometimes miss an opportunity. There is NO political significance in it either way.
    It may have been a cheap point but nonetheless there was clearly a partisan divide on Rashford's campaign.

For example, while 71% of Labour voters backed Rashford's campaign for schools to provide food during the holidays to those on free school meals with just 17% opposed and 67% of LD voters also backed his campaign, 47% of Tory voters opposed Rashford's campaign to only 40% in favour
    On that logic, going to the Unitarian church in Birmingham is anti-Tory and politically partisan because Tories favour the C of E.,
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925

BREAKING: Indonesia reports 40,427 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record, and 891 new deaths

That's a very high mortality rate....

Indicates the true situation is worse by far.
  • Options

No it was absolutely the worst thing to do. The very worst. It has caused far, far more division than a less aggressive protest or temporary protest would have.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

Well of course there was a partisan divide, it was a political issue and the government's supporters naturally backed the government more than non government supporters. But 47 to 40 against is actually a lot clsoer than I'd have assumed it was.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I wasn't the only one thinking it then. @HYUFD is an MP, I am not sure which but it could well be Elphicke. The timing of the post and the words used, it's just a little bit too coincidental.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A dumb line if so. It doesn't even work on a practical level since its hard to accept they genuinely believe a whole bunch of campaigning mostly some time ago, has affected his ability to take penalties as he has been in training every day for a month. So it just comes across as petty complaint about a battle that was already conceded by the PM, why reopen it?

Well, the match finished around that time, but that is a point in favour of the 'line' theory.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You make excellent comments.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

On that logic, going to the Unitarian church in Birmingham is anti-Tory and politically partisan because Tories favour the C of E.,
    The Tories actually get a higher voteshare amongst Jews than Anglicans now, though both are comfortably over 50%
    http://www.brin.ac.uk/religious-affiliation-and-party-choice-at-the-2017-general-election/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

The Tories actually get a higher voteshare amongst Jews than Anglicans now, though both are comfortably over 50%
    http://www.brin.ac.uk/religious-affiliation-and-party-choice-at-the-2017-general-election/
    Okay, your logic still makes it polotically partisan to worship as a Unitarian!
  • Options
    Why don't you just come out and say what you think? that All brexiteers, conservatives and white football supporters are racists. All of them. Every single one.

Feel better now?

Get it off your chest, CHB
  • Options

kle4 said:

The ratio of excellent comments to overall numbers of comments may not reflect in my favour, but thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I wasn't the only one thinking it then. @HYUFD is an MP, I am not sure which but it could well be Elphicke. The timing of the post and the words used, it's just a little bit too coincidental.
    Haven't some on PB met HYUFD in person? or at least someone claiming to be him/her/it*?

*because a bot is a logical possibility.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    https://mobile.twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1414498287097454592

Let me be clear. The Prime Minister and the Home Secretary gave license to the racists who booed the England players and are now racially abusing England players.

@BorisJohnson
    and
    @pritipatel
    are like arsonists complaining about a fire they poured petrol on. Total hypocrites.

I didn’t hear any racist abuse from the stands last night.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/1414534994219913221

What would she know? Tories just want to pretend this isn't happening.

They are so quick to rightfully - I would add - call out Labour racism yet from their own side and party, silence. It stinks.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,975
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Well, the match finished around that time, but that is a point in favour of the 'line' theory.
    Given multiple Tories posted the same thing either they are sheep who post racists comments without thinking or it was suggested as a suitable attack line by someone.

Either way it misses the fundamental fact that Labour took up Rashford's campaign Labour didn't create it.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,361

Meanwhile, the woke monster rears its ugly head again. Savills are launching an investigation after one of their managers tweeted the "... ruined it for us" message last night. The woke doing further digging and have found a sock-puppet twitter account with even more racism.

Question. You are a company. A member of your staff is outed as posting horrendous racism causing people to react against your company. Do you sack him for gross misconduct?

https://twitter.com/Savills/status/1414484312137912321
    https://twitter.com/HeathertheHeron/status/1414510292525101060

Yeah, thanks for posting that in full. No chance that will trigger any companies' scanning systems.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

A dumb line if so. It doesn't even work on a practical level since its hard to accept they genuinely believe a whole bunch of campaigning mostly some time ago, has affected his ability to take penalties as he has been in training every day for a month. So it just comes across as a petty complaint about a battle that was already conceded by the PM, why reopen it?

Grimsey said it as well so pretty clwar evidence that it wasn't clever.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

QTWAIN.

A single Councillor and a single backbench MP, both of which are from the fruitier extreme end of the party, are not representative of CCHQ.
  • Options

Why don't you just come out and say what you think? that All brexiteers, conservatives and white football supporters are racists. All of them. Every single one.

Feel better now?

Get it off your chest, CHB
    I don't think that at all. Please don't put words in my mouth.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Haven't some on PB met HYUFD in person? or at least someone claiming to be him/her/it*?

Just because I am not leftwing does not mean I am a bot, as for Natalie Elphicke we are not even of the same gender
  • Options
    edited July 2021

God your an idiot sometimes....it isn't a secret who they are, they are quite open about it on here. Hint, not an MP.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    dixiedean said:

Panorama tonight on Long Covid.
    According to the teaser they are close to a blood test for it. No idea if this leads to better treatment, but may be a start.

There's an article on the BBC news site this morning, irregularities in the blood with 'rogue antibodies'. They think they can test for it.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hmmm. Once we get over our knee-taking reverence for Southgate, I feel this will impact

‘I said I wanted to take one!!!!
    The gaffer has made so many right decisions through this tournament and he did tonight! But I won’t have people say that I didn’t want to take a peno when I said I will…’

He chose Saka over Grealish. Why??

https://twitter.com/jackgrealish/status/1414522271859888132?s=21

It is a judgement call by Southgate. He believed Saka was more likely to score than Grealish. Maybe he was right, we shall never know if Jack would have scored or missed.

Nonetheless, Grealish is right to call out Sky Sports fake news.
    I seriously pity Southgate. He very probably won’t win a tournament now, so he will go down as the man that lost the euros twice, 25 years apart, at home, first as player then as manager - on penalties

He is not redeemed. It is quite the tragedy. He’s a decent bloke who has been DP’d by Fate
    He'll be fine. He'll be remembered for it, sure, but he still achieved the best results one of our managers has for a long time. He hasn't erased what he'll be known for, but there will always be a 'but' after they mention it, which is more than most of ours.
    No, football is cruel. He’s now a double loser.

As he’s obviously such a nice guy, it is particularly unfair. But unless he does something miraculous in the WC he will be the bloke that lost the euros. Twice. At home. On penalties

There will be footnotes but when fans think of him the first reactions will be a sigh, and a frown

Keep writing the airport novels and travel guides "Leon", like most journos you clearly know nothing about leadership. He will be remembered as a remarkable leader who took an average national team and took it to a level good enough to get to a level not seen before in 55 years. Will he be the footballing equivalent of Neil Kinnock/Michael Howard, or will he be Tony Blair/David Cameron? Who knows!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If it was a 'line' then you would have seen a hundred MPs posting it, not one.

It just shows that Elphicke and HYUFD think the same.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The ratio of excellent comments to overall numbers of comments may not reflect in my favour, but thank you.
    You are being overly modest.
  • Options

Nope we know who he is - a wannabie MP who is following the Tory playbook in the hope that it will get him selected at some point.
  • Options

God your an idiot sometimes....it isn't a secret who he is, he is open about it on here.
    “Sometimes”?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

One thing that struck me - and this was on reading, and well before this discussion - is that the wording felt careful, almost vetted.

Did Ms Elphicke's version say 'practicing'?
  • Options
    kjh said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

You are being overly modest.
    It's why I think he's my favourite poster. Consistently humble and well informed.

And he gives me thumbs up too! :)
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

The criticism was that the players were engaged in a divisive and overtly political act, which wasn't the right way to oppose racism. That racism then followed in no way proves it was "the right thing to do" - arguably, the opposite.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If it was a 'line' then you would have seen a hundred MPs posting it, not one.

It just shows that Elphicke and HYUFD think the same.
    I think most MPs were bright enough to spot the elephant trap (for it was obvious)..
  • Options
    Can we have a new thread please, to get these depressing football pics off my iPad? Ta muchness
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1414529602068881410

So do the statue defenders want to come out and condemn this?
  • Options

God your an idiot sometimes....it isn't a secret who they are, they are quite open about it on here. Hint, not an MP.
    *you're
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Just because I am not leftwing does not mean I am a bot, as for Natalie Elphicke we are not even of the same gender
    Bots can be left, right or nothing wing. That bot the other day pretended to be a Scottish independista for instance.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    So much for the end of the culture war, bringing together the nation, making everybody nicer and happier, like post Olympics, that was written in the press yesterday.

We have some idiot comments from Tories and Labour MPs claiming Boris directed the racists twitter trolls (in his lunch break between burying the bodies in the gardens of Chequers).
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Ahem, you're?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    MattW said:

Pulpstar said:

Meanwhile, the woke monster rears its ugly head again. Savills are launching an investigation after one of their managers tweeted the "Niggers ruined it for us" message last night. The woke doing further digging and have found a sock-puppet twitter account with even more racism.

Question. You are a company. A member of your staff is outed as posting horrendous racism causing people to react against your company. Do you sack him for gross misconduct?

https://twitter.com/Savills/status/1414484312137912321
    https://twitter.com/HeathertheHeron/status/1414510292525101060

Savills will 100% sack him but I'd imagine they'd want to consult with employment lawyers 1st. Sacking people without following the correct processes can be expensive, and I'm quite sure a process needs to be followed no matter how egregious an incident.
    Yup - suspend him, subject to a disciplinary hearing. Otherwise you risk giving a possibly (since the charge needs to be proved) very unpleasant person a large sum of money.
    I'm not altogether sure about this. How far does the company own your private life? If you're well-known to be a spokesperson, sure, that definitely means you shouldn't bring the company into disrepute. Likewise if you say "As a manager for X, I must say that...". But if you merely tweet as Joe Bloggs and nobody except your colleagues and friends know you work for X, are you accountable to them? I don't think so. (I argued similarly for the communist behaviourist on SAGE and am trying to be balanced - I don't think being employed gives your employer a right to own your personal views.)

That's separate from the legality of what you say. If you post incitement to hatred, you should be prosecuted. But I'm assuming here that you say something that most people find offensive but isn't illegal.
    That's a really important point.

It wasn't so long ago that Public Authorities were sacking everyday bloggers under 'damage our reputation' clauses. How far does that right extend?

Should Drs making party political commentary about the NHS (especially conspiracy theories about it) still be in their jobs? What about Professors who say 'the wrong things'?

Now perhaps we see it sharply with people carrying media Job Titles on their Twitter bios to build a profile, with a 'retweet is not endorsement' and 'opinions are not my employer's' smokescreens.
    You might be interested in who defended the outing and action against Nightjack (the police blogger)....
  • Options
    Taz said:

I see The Savills employees racist tweets seems to have cost them a large sale.

https://twitter.com/rachael_swindon/status/1414498244730802177?s=21

Are we doing irony today?

Rachael Cousins is one of the more rabid Corbynista twitter trolls.

She won't be buying any portfolios soon from her Council House in Swindon.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/heres-the-woman-behind-britains-most-divisive-twitter
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Yeah, OK. I condemn this.

What on earth does the one have to do with the other?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,227
    In Covid-19 sport news, the key final County Championship match between Derbyshire and Essex has been abandoned following a positive Covid test. Means that Essex likely will fail to defend their title, though they haven't confirmed the points allocation.

I can't see the Hundred or the Test series against India surviving the rate at which cricket players are picking up Covid, unless they isolation rule for contracts is dropped, or they stop testing cricket players.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

Re our conversation the other day @HYUFD respond by telling Carnyx why you think his argument is flawed.

By the way @HYUFD I also appreciated you final post in our exchange the other day. I thought it very sporting comment from you and was really appreciated.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Patel is as thick as fuck so one expects no better but it's not like Johnson to be caught on the wrong side of public opinion like he has been about the English team's genuflections.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Bots can be left, right or nothing wing. That bot the other day pretended to be a Scottish independista for instance.
    Are you suggesting Malc is a bot? I don't think a bot could be programmed to be that dumb surely?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,266

So much for the end of the culture war, bringing together the nation, making everybody nicer and happier, like post Olympics, that was written in the press yesterday.

We have some idiot comments from Tories and Labour MPs claiming Boris directed the racists twitter trolls (in his lunch break between burying the bodies in the gardens of Chequers).

This is an unexpectedly high work output by Boris given the regular accusations of laziness.
  • Options

I’d be happy to condemn it - if I could see what was said
  • Options
    Leon said:

God your an idiot sometimes....it isn't a secret who he is, he is open about it on here.
    “Sometimes”?
    I've always been respectful to you after I understood the circumstances you're in so I would really appreciate the same from you.

We don't have to agree on anything - but there's no need to behave like this.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Hmmm. Once we get over our knee-taking reverence for Southgate, I feel this will impact

The gaffer has made so many right decisions through this tournament and he did tonight! But I won’t have people say that I didn’t want to take a peno when I said I will…’

"I want to take one!" isn't the same as being in any fit state to do so. We don't know how and why the list was finalised but had the game been won in open play it wouldn't matter. Anyone can miss a penalty.
    No. Choosing a 19 year old, who has never taken an important penalty before, to take the deciding and crucial penalty in a Euro final is just insanely bad management

Southgate has got a lot right in this competition, and I salute him for that. But last night he got it horribly wrong, in multiple ways. He will no doubt soldier on, unfortunately
    If he didn't who would the alternative be? No better, that's for sure.
    Rice has taken penalties for West Ham. Mount is known for free kicks. But it is not a question of being "better" than Saka so much as more experienced and resilient.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is a judgement call by Southgate. He believed Saka was more likely to score than Grealish. Maybe he was right, we shall never know if Jack would have scored or missed.

I seriously pity Southgate. He very probably won’t win a tournament now, so he will go down as the man that lost the euros twice, 25 years apart, at home, first as player then as manager - on penalties

He is not redeemed. It is quite the tragedy. He’s a decent bloke who has been DP’d by Fate
    He'll be fine. He'll be remembered for it, sure, but he still achieved the best results one of our managers has for a long time. He hasn't erased what he'll be known for, but there will always be a 'but' after they mention it, which is more than most of ours.

As he’s obviously such a nice guy, it is particularly unfair. But unless he does something miraculous in the WC he will be the bloke that lost the euros. Twice. At home. On penalties

There will be footnotes but when fans think of him the first reactions will be a sigh, and a frown

Keep writing the airport novels and travel guides "Leon", like most journos you clearly know nothing about leadership. He will be remembered as a remarkable leader who took an average national team and took it to a level good enough to get to a level not seen before in 55 years. Will he be the footballing equivalent of Neil Kinnock/Michael Howard, or will he be Tony Blair/David Cameron? Who knows!
    He’s lost us two very winnable euros. So maybe Kinnock, with a dash of Gordon Brown
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,285
    edited July 2021
    From the Manchester Evening News

Conservative MP Natalie Elphicke has apologised after saying Marcus Rashford should have spent more time perfecting his game than playing politics

BBC said the Dover MP has now apologised saying last night I shared the frustration and heartbreak of millions of England fans

'I regret messaging privately a rash reaction about Marcus Rashford's missed penalty and apologise to him for any suggestion that he is not fully focused on football'

Our own @HYUFD said the same objectionable comments and it is time for him to make his own apology

I am so sorry for Rashford , Sancho and Saka for missing their spot kicks and need to have the love and understanding of our nation, not bigots and idiots making unacceptable comments either on here or on the media generally

It was pleasing to see how all the England players hugged their colleagues in distress, in marked contrast to Mbappe colleagues who virtually shunned him when he missed his penalty for France

Every decent person in the country should have great love and affection for England, it's management and players as they look to grow together over the years into a great side

And well done Gareth Southgate
  • Options
    @isam has been banned again. Why this time?

He's surely the site's bad boy - overtakes Malcy who needs to up his game @malcolmg
  • Options

Leon said:

“Sometimes”?
    I've always been respectful to you after I understood the circumstances you're in so I would really appreciate the same from you.

lol. What ‘circumstances’?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
  • Options
    edited July 2021

kle4 said:

(For the record, Horse, yes obvs I condemn this).

However it will be interesting to see where the media / commentators take this - most media reports are going for the 'this is so offensive we have blocked it out of the picture and won't discuss the content with you' method, as the Today programme used to do before they spent 6 minutes discussing how outrageous twitter had become.

'Racially aggravated damage' ?
    https://theathletic.com/news/marcus-rashford-euro-2020-england/R45W1PIU6IHR

It is a picture of a cock 'n' balls.

I can see them going for RAD due to indirect reasons, however.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Are you suggesting Malc is a bot? I don't think a bot could be programmed to be that dumb surely?
    No, for one thing (!) no bot has that depth of Scots idiom - yet. It was Calista whatshername. Which/who was highly implaisible not merely for the English but the lack of Scots (though could be a very new incomer).
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

“Sometimes”?

Leon I'm not going to go into revealing it as I know it's a private matter for you. I do that out of respect but you're really pushing my buttons today.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977

In Covid-19 sport news, the key final County Championship match between Derbyshire and Essex has been abandoned following a positive Covid test. Means that Essex likely will fail to defend their title, though they haven't confirmed the points allocation.

I can't see the Hundred or the Test series against India surviving the rate at which cricket players are picking up Covid, unless they isolation rule for contracts is dropped, or they stop testing cricket players.

It would appear to be a morning for depressing sports news. Especially as I haven't actually been able to Chelmsford and watch a game this year. At least our local club is keeping going.

Although abandoning the Hundred might lighten the gloom a little.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

"I want to take one!" isn't the same as being in any fit state to do so. We don't know how and why the list was finalised but had the game been won in open play it wouldn't matter. Anyone can miss a penalty.
    No. Choosing a 19 year old, who has never taken an important penalty before, to take the deciding and crucial penalty in a Euro final is just insanely bad management

Southgate has got a lot right in this competition, and I salute him for that. But last night he got it horribly wrong, in multiple ways. He will no doubt soldier on, unfortunately
    If he didn't who would the alternative be? No better, that's for sure.
    Rice has taken penalties for West Ham. Mount is known for free kicks. But it is not a question of being "better" than Saka so much as more experienced and resilient.
    Also, older. Memo to Gareth: DON’T PICK A TEENAGER
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1414498287097454592

Let me be clear. The Prime Minister and the Home Secretary gave license to the racists who booed the England players and are now racially abusing England players.

@BorisJohnson
    and
    @pritipatel
    are like arsonists complaining about a fire they poured petrol on. Total hypocrites.

I didn’t hear any racist abuse from the stands last night.

I think accusations, to be effective, need to be of a kind that is generally able to be believed, by more than the most intense supporters. So for instance a lot of people could believe many of the accusations against Corbyn, they felt like they could be true, but the Goldsmith campaign against Khan about links to extremists didn't work since no one seemed to genuinely believe that was true of Khan.

These accusations are around 'giving licence' to outright racial abuse, because of a failure to back an act which, reasonably or not, engendered a political based divide.

That just seems like not enough to me. 'Giving licence' is pretty tangential when trying to suggest such a level of culpability, and whilst some think the PM is racist, do people in general suspect he would support outright racial abuse? I'm not convinced they would, so it then becomes will people accept the connection between the taking the knee comments (or lack thereof) and racists abusing people? Given the politicised of the discussion around the former, I don't think that likely either.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Conservative MP Natalie Elphicke has apologised after saying Marcus Rashford should have spent more time perfecting his game than playing politics

BBC said the Dover MP has now apologised saying last night I shared the frustration and heartbreak of millions of England fans

'I regret messaging privately a rash reaction about Marcus Rashford's missed penalty and apologise to him for any suggestion that he is not fully focused on football'

Our own @HYUFD said the same objectionable comments and it is time for him to make his own apology

I am so sorry for Rashford , Sancho and Saka for missing their spot kicks and need to have the love and understanding of our nation, not bigots and idiots making unacceptable comments either on here or on the media generally

It was pleasing to see how all the England players hugged their colleagues in distress, in marked contrast to Mbappe colleagues who virtually shunned him when he missed his penalty for France

Ever decent person in the country should have great love and affection for England, it's management and players as they look to grow together over the years into a great side

Yes I may have made a cheap point and said so too but there is no doubt a lot of Tories have felt Rashford has spent too much time campaigning on a political line they disagree with.

As I posted earlier 47% of Tory voters disagreed with Rashford's campaign for free school meals to be extended to the holidays to only 40% in favour
  • Options

kle4 said:

I expect one person said it and the others cut and pasted it from their Whatsapp group. (Showing my age there: cut rather than copy and pasted.)
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

“Sometimes”?

Leon I'm not going to go into revealing it as I know it's a private matter for you. I do that out of respect but you're really pushing my buttons today.
    No, please tell, you ludicrous prick
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

He’s lost us two very winnable euros. So maybe Kinnock, with a dash of Gordon Brown
    The England managers of the past had to have experience and success in one thing. Football management.

These days, as the news today shows, its a whole new ball game. Its not about football any more.

The chances of getting the best football manager are, therefore, no better than even. If that.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I expect one person said it and the others cut and pasted it from their Whatsapp group. (Showing my age there: cut rather than copy and pasted.)
    An interesting point, when did it become copy and paste?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ever decent person in the country should have great love and affection for England, it's management and players as they look to grow together over the years into a great side

Yes I may have made a cheap point and said so too but there is no doubt a lot of Tories have felt Rashford has spent too much time campaigning on a political line they disagree with.

As I posted earlier 47% of Tory voters disagreed with Rashford's campaign for free school meals to be extended to the holidays to only 40% in favour
    You clearly don't understand how much of Rashford's campaigning is completely outsourced.

Which is easy to do when you earn £00,000s a week...
  • Options
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

It will be interesting to see where the media / commentators take this - most media reports are going for the 'this is so offensive we have blocked it out of the picture and won't discuss the content with you' method, as the Today programme used to do before they spent 6 minutes discussing how outrageous twitter had become.

'Racially aggravated damage' ?
    https://theathletic.com/news/marcus-rashford-euro-2020-england/R45W1PIU6IHR

It is a picture of a cock 'n' balls.

That’s it??! Ffs
  • Options

kle4 said:

When computers arrived and it was possible to copy something....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“Sometimes”?

Calm down - he may be confusing you with a different poster?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

Re our conversation the other day @HYUFD respond by telling Carnyx why you think his argument is flawed.

By the way @HYUFD I also appreciated you final post in our exchange the other day. I thought it very sporting comment from you and was really appreciated.
    In fairness there is a sort of political element in that Unitarians, like other free churches, don't accept the subordination of the Church to an earthly power in the form of HMTQ and a (usually) Conservative government. But I think that is more a matter of religious principle on their part than the political principle which is partly behind the Tory retention of that establishment.

So, especially as HYUFD hasn;t himself invoked it, we can disregard it for the purposes of seeking his view on the defect in my logic.

I don't think I have seen disestablishmentarianism discussed seriously for a very long time, outside histories of the late C19 and the sort of discussions we have here on PB sometimes ...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,285
    HYUFD said:

You always need to qualify your statements

Why not be like Natalie Elphicke who has made a straightforward unqualified apology for the same thoughtless comments
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“Sometimes”?

Calm down - he may be confusing you with a different poster?
    Yes, to be fair, it wouldn’t be the first time
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

But I know lots of people that have used computers for years that say cut and paste. It must be a generational thing
  • Options

kle4 said:

When they started using photocopies instead of cutting up the original.
  • Options

eek said:

kle4 said:

But I know lots of people that have used computers for years that say cut and paste. It must be a generational thing
    You can still cut and paste. On my computer you can cut or copy. Isn't that standard?
  • Options
    The penalty time on this thread has expired.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

eek said:

kle4 said:

You can still cut and paste. On my computer you can cut or copy. Isn't that standard?
    Sorry Stocky, I meant when did people start saying one over the other.

I would always say copy and paste - yet my parents will say cut and paste when they mean cut and paste. If you see what I mean, perhaps it wasn't as interesting as I thought
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    Leon said:

Even there you are wrong! Denmark has a very developed hooligan culture

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/denmark-hooligans-organise-insane-20-24403451

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/video-mental-footage-of-a-punch-up-between-two-gangs-of-football-hooligans-in-denmark-350029

I have finally concluded that most of your opinions derive from an idealistic, naive and almost determinedly uninformed view of the world. Which is sweet in a way. But it also explains your support for Corbyn

Isn’t comparing supporters of a national team with those of individual teams fairly meaningless?

Of course there may have been bands of Danes roving Epping Forest looking for a ruck before their date with destiny at Wembley last week, but..
This discussion has been closed.