Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Inevitably the front pages are once again dominated by the football – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    So that's Eurovision and the Euros for Italy. They need Miss World now for the Triple Crown.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,242
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

The fact is Rashford was openly campaigning for Labour policy, he became too political given he is still a highly paid professional footballer with other things to concentrate on.

Marcus Rashford in October. Helping out at a Manchester food bank. With his mum. ❤️ https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1414459134091698176/photo/1

Which is fine, stick to that not pushing the Labour agenda in his spare time
    Does make me laugh. Charles defended his comments in this area by pointing to the family charity work (which is genuinely excellent, I mean no slur). Apparently it is important that the very well to do are trying to help the impoverished, albeit people kept impoverished by the policies written and voted for by the people providing the charity.

Here we have the same thing, only its not the rich establishment showing charity, its the kid who a few years ago came from nothing who is doing all he can to help kids just like him. What an outrage, his charity work. What a disgusting spectacle, the worked his way up from grinding poverty man showing compassion and charity to his former neighbours and friends.

Wanting poor kids who live in shit homes and go to shit schools to not go hungry. Disgusting political grandstanding, pushing the Labour agenda. Much better that he do nothing for these kids, let the government get on with cutting funding to their schools, taking £20 a week off them and letting them go hungry.

You and your other Epping Tories in your WhatsApp group really are truly nasty human beings, you know that?

Natalie Elphicke MP also made a similar tweet, I can assure you many Tories across the country were thinking exactly the same thing.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1414500249910063106?s=20

As someone who thinks Johnson and the Tories are evil you obviously have an agenda to portray the government as sending us back to the Dickensian workhouse.

In actual fact the government provides free school meals in term time still and benefits for children from lower incomes in the holidays too, thinking Rashford and Labour's pushing of free school meals in the holidays too could be too costly given the state of the public finances now does not make you evil
    How about now? Are you supposed to be working now?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

That's true but I think the point was he almost never misses.

The pundits were saying he was looking at the goaly too much - trying to outwit him - rather than the ball and Rashford knew he'd made poor contact with the ball as soon as he'd kicked it.

If you ask me we were lucky to get a draw and penalties at all. Italy could easily have beaten us 3-1 and their defence, once they'd recovered from the opening half-hour, was utterly impenetrable.

I can not understand why footballers do anything other than take their optimal penalty shot (probability of executing the shot X the probability of it being saved). The situation is the same every time, bar the occassion, and you would think every player knows their shot and has practiced it so often that it becomes a mechanical process. Any time you deviate from that you aren't focusing on taking your best shot. If football had "special teams" they would take almost identical penalties time after time.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    edited July 2021
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

On hooliganism: many moons ago I heard something (I think it was R5) where they discussed this. Surprisingly (to me), hooligans were found in all classes, all professions, and nearly all ages (bar the very young). I also STR that a solicitor was once given a banning order (I wonder if he lost his job?)

Is there a breakdown of football banning orders by profession?

Back in the 80s, it was common for some to claim that hooliganism was unemployed people complaining about Thatcherism.

The evidence, in terms of arrests and criminal convictions was always the opposite. Employed, often quite well paid, dominated.
    Estate agents featured highly in convictions for hooliganism, I seem to recall. No surprise there.
    Indeed. The dominant groups, IIRC, were highly paid, but less educated.
    All that casual wear and train return tickets once a week on average built up the outgoings. Not to mention several gallons of premium lager a week.
    There's something wrong about the juxtaposition of two words there "premium" and "lager". Not a concept I recognise, in a British scenario anyway.
    Premium price, anyway, is what I am thinking of, certainly in the 1970s. I used to go sailing for the day in a yacht whose owner's idea of my contribution to the day (as well as help in winter maintenance) was a six pack of Carlsberg Special which I stashed under the deck in the bilge water as soon as I got on board.

We then pavigated our way round the Firth of Forth and through the beer (mainly he: I could not drink very much).

Fortunately, yachties are not known for their violence ...
    At least the bilge water in the Firth of Forth would have been cold.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,794
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

I see someone got banned - who was that?

England did really better than most of us expected - can't win them all. Embarrassed by some of our fans though, even if Leon thinks them just being manly.

FUDHY I think. The mod said that if anyone screenshot his post and sent it to the media, he’d have to resign his seat.
    Ah - didn't see that. I don't think I'd have squealed, not sure anyone would - as Leon said recently, we're a sort of family.
    It wasn’t anything. He said we would have won if Rashford had spent more time practicing and less time campaigning. Typical pointless argument from him.
    He was just being funny. It's his dry sense of humour. I was surprised people were getting hot under the collar about it
    HYUFD was banned?!
    Nah. It was @borisatsun for some obnoxious racist stuff. Rightly banned imo.

@HYUFD just left himself open to being publicly embarassed as an elected Conservative making ridiculous posts... if anyone can be bothered.
    No I was not banned and I said the same thing in my WhatsApp for local Tories after I posted it here and most of them agreed with me.

The fact is Rashford was openly campaigning for Labour policy, he became too political given he is still a highly paid professional footballer with other things to concentrate on.

It was nothing to do with BLM or the knee which I see as personal choice though I am sceptical of the Marxism within the BLM manifesto now to dismantle capitalism obviously
    Yes, nothing to do with you at all. Your comment was just a bit puerile, is all.

But that other Construct (the one banned) is different gravy. Ever since he appeared he's been trying to disguise his visceral racism and primitive bigotry behind a modicum of table manners and "read a few books" vocabulary. Then lo - our young BLACK footballers miss their penalties in the Euro final and he gets so excited (!) that it all hangs out. And of course this lovely sentiment was all over right wing social media within minutes of yesterday's sad denouement.

Grim, but at the same time instructive and useful. A strong and timely reminder that this (meanness, xenophobia, ignorance) is the essential spirit of right populism. It's what drives it. It's what it's about. There's nothing good there and no amount of long, straining articles about "left behind towns" and "the problem with multiculturalism", or offended protests that "it's not racist to worry about immigration" and "woke smothers good honest debate" bla bla can change this.

Anyway, rant over. As far as I'm concerned football HAS come home. You can't come closer to winning the trophy without winning it than we did. Well done Italy. Best team in the tournament. Well done England, team and manager, a fabulous run.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

England did really better than most of us expected - can't win them all. Embarrassed by some of our fans though, even if Leon thinks them just being manly.

FUDHY I think. The mod said that if anyone screenshot his post and sent it to the media, he’d have to resign his seat.
    Ah - didn't see that. I don't think I'd have squealed, not sure anyone would - as Leon said recently, we're a sort of family.
    It wasn’t anything. He said we would have won if Rashford had spent more time practicing and less time campaigning. Typical pointless argument from him.
    He was just being funny. It's his dry sense of humour. I was surprised people were getting hot under the collar about it
    HYUFD was banned?!

@HYUFD just left himself open to being publicly embarassed as an elected Conservative making ridiculous posts... if anyone can be bothered.
    No I was not banned and I said the same thing in my WhatsApp for local Tories after I posted it here and most of them agreed with me.

It was nothing to do with BLM or the knee which I see as personal choice though I am sceptical of the Marxism within the BLM manifesto now to dismantle capitalism obviously
    Yes, nothing to do with you at all. Your comment was just a bit puerile, is all.

But that other Construct (the one banned) is different gravy. Ever since he appeared he's been trying to disguise his visceral racism and primitive bigotry behind a modicum of table manners and "read a few books" vocabulary. Then lo - our young BLACK footballers miss their penalties in the Euro final and he gets so excited (!) that it all hangs out. And of course this lovely sentiment was all over right wing social media within minutes of yesterday's sad denouement.

Grim, but at the same time instructive and useful. A strong and timely reminder that this (meanness, xenophobia, ignorance) is the essential spirit of right populism. It's what drives it. It's what it's about. There's nothing good there and no amount of long, straining articles about "left behind towns" and "the problem with multiculturalism", or offended protests that "it's not racist to worry about immigration" and "woke smothers good honest debate" bla bla can change this.

Anyway, rant over. As far as I'm concerned football HAS come home. You can't come closer to winning the trophy without winning it than we did. Well done Italy. Best team in the tournament. Well done England, team and manager, a fabulous run.
    You predicted from early on that England would reach the final, then lose. You might even have predicted Italy as the likely opponents

I find much of your commentary adolescent and silly, but you do occasionally get things absolutely bang on. Such as this. It makes me think.

Anyway - well done
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,639
    tlg86 said:

On the subject of goalkeepers taking penalties, I give you Kevin Pressman v Wolves (Wednesday still managed to lose that shootout):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSMi02ghN3s

Graham Alexander scored 58/62 mostly taking them with the outside of his boot. Gives great disguise and the option to go either way without making it clear to the keeper.

Not seen anyone, in any major league, replicate his style which is standout successful. Very strange.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

To be fair to you, Marcus Rashford has been criticised - I think even in hushed tones within the football scene - for possibly spending a bit too much time on campaigning and that he should focus more on his game.

Do I think that was behind his miss last night? No. Lots of us have demanding full time jobs and post on here and on Twitter as a break, when we have time. I have no reason to doubt he'd attended all training sessions and was very well practiced, and Southgate wouldn't have selected him if he hadn't been.

He'd sat on the sidelines for 2 hours, barely played for 3 minutes and was then asked to take one of the most important kicks of his life - he then overthought it, looked at the goaly rather than the ball, made a poor contact and half-hoofed it.

He tried to be too clever rather than focussing on the basics and trusting in his skill. That's why he missed, not because of his activities on Twitter.
    Both keepers were superb, Donnarumma waiting for so long before moving is the main reason Rashford missed, against most keepers they would have moved earlier and Rashford could have rolled it in the other side. It is bad technique imo compared to simply picking a spot, but very popular amongst players and Hazard and Jorginho have been very successful with it - with that style I do think the more penalties you take the greater the chance of missing as the keepers will learn a lot about your technique.
    Pickford was extremely impressive.

A gong for him is definitely in order.
    Yes, I’d make him the only outstanding English player. Maybe Shaw?

It ends there
    Rice tried.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited July 2021
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Marcus Rashford in October. Helping out at a Manchester food bank. With his mum. ❤️ https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1414459134091698176/photo/1

Does make me laugh. Charles defended his comments in this area by pointing to the family charity work (which is genuinely excellent, I mean no slur). Apparently it is important that the very well to do are trying to help the impoverished, albeit people kept impoverished by the policies written and voted for by the people providing the charity.

Here we have the same thing, only its not the rich establishment showing charity, its the kid who a few years ago came from nothing who is doing all he can to help kids just like him. What an outrage, his charity work. What a disgusting spectacle, the worked his way up from grinding poverty man showing compassion and charity to his former neighbours and friends.

Wanting poor kids who live in shit homes and go to shit schools to not go hungry. Disgusting political grandstanding, pushing the Labour agenda. Much better that he do nothing for these kids, let the government get on with cutting funding to their schools, taking £20 a week off them and letting them go hungry.

You and your other Epping Tories in your WhatsApp group really are truly nasty human beings, you know that?

Natalie Elphicke MP also made a similar tweet, I can assure you many Tories across the country were thinking exactly the same thing.

As someone who thinks Johnson and the Tories are evil you obviously have an agenda to portray the government as sending us back to the Dickensian workhouse.

In actual fact the government provides free school meals in term time still and benefits for children from lower incomes in the holidays too, thinking Rashford and Labour's pushing of free school meals in the holidays too could be too costly given the state of the public finances now does not make you evil
    I am too, as I assume is everyone else on here who is not retired or not on leave.

Anyway off now until lunchtime, so there you go
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

**.... tiptoes in gently. Sees that PB still talking about football.

Quietly leaves this - https://barry-walsh.co.uk/hiding-in-plain-sight/ - and this - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/20/revealed-the-grim-list-of-sex-abuse-claims-against-metropolitan-police - here.

Tiptoes out muttering "Il calcio e tornato a casa" .....**

Thought-provoking read. Wonder what will be uncovered...... if, of course, anything is. "Highly regrettable series of missed opportunities....." seems likely to be a phrase to apply.
    Lessons will be learned.
    Couzens was nicknamed "The Rapist".

But look here: "One officer was accused of eroding trust by displaying “an arrogance towards female members of staff and a ready willingness to take advantage of his position of trust to engage in unwanted physical contact”. He received a final written warning."

Still an officer, though. Let's hope no-one meets him on a dark night as they walk home, eh.
    Good grief!

As a society we've moved a long way during my lifetime, but there's still an awful long way further to go.

I am more convinced than ever that change comes not from politicians or 'leaders' but from individual people saying 'no more' and working together to protest for progress.

MeToo and BLM ar fine examples of that.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,223
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Quietly leaves this - https://barry-walsh.co.uk/hiding-in-plain-sight/ - and this - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/20/revealed-the-grim-list-of-sex-abuse-claims-against-metropolitan-police - here.

Thought-provoking read. Wonder what will be uncovered...... if, of course, anything is. "Highly regrettable series of missed opportunities....." seems likely to be a phrase to apply.
    Lessons will be learned.

But look here: "One officer was accused of eroding trust by displaying “an arrogance towards female members of staff and a ready willingness to take advantage of his position of trust to engage in unwanted physical contact”. He received a final written warning."

Still an officer, though. Let's hope no-one meets him on a dark night as they walk home, eh.
    Of course. Lessons *will* be learned.

This means that an officer will solemnly pronounce "Lessons will be learned" at a press conference.

You don't think that means knowledge will be increased, do you? Or practises changed?

That would be an unfair slur on the careers of high flying role model officers. Like Cressida Dick.

We live in the world where, when a high flyer needed a new job in child protection, she was given a glowing reference. The bit about being personally responsible for Rotherham was left out.

Or Charlie Prince couldn't get a job for 6 months after Citi Group. He had to stay at home in his mansion on the Potomac, with only $91 million dollars in golden good bye to keep him company.

Failure is not an option.
  • Options

Leon said:

This surely says it all. Southgate is dreadful

‘England had one shot on target in 120 minutes. Shaw's goal in the 2nd minute.’

https://twitter.com/sgevans/status/1414345021357281294?s=21

I could not agree more, we have brilliant youthful attacking players and Southgate decided to play defensive and draw Italy on. Normally when you do that you have fast attacking players to play counter attacking football. We had Harry Kane. How he could not see what was happening at the start of the 2nd half is beyond me. He waited for Italy scored before he changed our formation.

The one player I don't get is Mason Mount. He offered nothing in either the semi final or final. The Italian defence must have been so pleased to see all our fast players on the bench.

Italy were there for the taking, we had the players to do it and they just watched from the bench.
    Yes, we could have easily won that game, against a decent but not scintillating Italy. Ranked, remember, beneath us in the FIFA table.

That’s what irritates - this was ours to seize. At home. And now because of sentimental culture war bollox we are stuck with the affable but blundering Southgate, until 2023

And that is my final football comment for the summer. C’est tout
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

I am too, as I assume is everyone else on here who is not retired or not on leave.

Anyway off now until lunchtime, so there you go
    You castigate Rashford for doing something else while "working" at being an England footballer and you do exactly the same thing - post on PB while working at whatever it is you do. Either Rashford is fine doing his extra curricular activities and you are also, or you both are not.

Let me know when you get back here at lunch.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,099

Leon said:

I could not agree more, we have brilliant youthful attacking players and Southgate decided to play defensive and draw Italy on. Normally when you do that you have fast attacking players to play counter attacking football. We had Harry Kane. How he could not see what was happening at the start of the 2nd half is beyond me. He waited for Italy scored before he changed our formation.

The one player I don't get is Mason Mount. He offered nothing in either the semi final or final. The Italian defence must have been so pleased to see all our fast players on the bench.

Italy were there for the taking, we had the players to do it and they just watched from the bench.
    Mmm. We made our second ever major final, and first for over half a century, the first in most of our lifetimes, and lost it on the 10th and final kick of a penalty shootout against the best team in the tournament.

Terrible. Let's sack the manager. Let's put an expert in charge. Are you available?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,363

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

On the latter, just shows his efforts to fit it with the current incarnation of the party.
  • Options
    glw said:

The pundits were saying he was looking at the goaly too much - trying to outwit him - rather than the ball and Rashford knew he'd made poor contact with the ball as soon as he'd kicked it.

If you ask me we were lucky to get a draw and penalties at all. Italy could easily have beaten us 3-1 and their defence, once they'd recovered from the opening half-hour, was utterly impenetrable.

I can not understand why footballers do anything other than take their optimal penalty shot (probability of executing the shot X the probability of it being saved). The situation is the same every time, bar the occassion, and you would think every player knows their shot and has practiced it so often that it becomes a mechanical process. Any time you deviate from that you aren't focusing on taking your best shot. If football had "special teams" they would take almost identical penalties time after time.
    Wouldn't the goalkeepers then know what to expect for each player, and dive (or not) accordingly?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    tlg86 said:

On the subject of goalkeepers taking penalties, I give you Kevin Pressman v Wolves (Wednesday still managed to lose that shootout):

No danger of a stutter step mess up when it's a keeper taking it :D
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:

Graham Alexander scored 58/62 mostly taking them with the outside of his boot. Gives great disguise and the option to go either way without making it clear to the keeper.

Not seen anyone, in any major league, replicate his style which is standout successful. Very strange.
    I went to Turf Moor on a Wednesday night in December 2009 and saw Alexander do precisely that.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Mmm. We made our second ever major final, and first for over half a century, the first in most of our lifetimes, and lost it on the 10th and final kick of a penalty shootout against the best team in the tournament.

Terrible. Let's sack the manager. Let's put an expert in charge. Are you available?
    Look at our performances, other than against Ukraine we were bang average.

One shot on target last night when we have the array of attacking talent that we have.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ironically if you're going to keep him on till the 99th minute you might as well keep him on for 120 - he's an excellent penalty taker.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

The fact is Rashford was openly campaigning for Labour policy, he became too political given he is still a highly paid professional footballer with other things to concentrate on...
    Should know his place and leave it to the professionals like you ?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,238

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

To be fair to you, Marcus Rashford has been criticised - I think even in hushed tones within the football scene - for possibly spending a bit too much time on campaigning and that he should focus more on his game.

Do I think that was behind his miss last night? No. Lots of us have demanding full time jobs and post on here and on Twitter as a break, when we have time. I have no reason to doubt he'd attended all training sessions and was very well practiced, and Southgate wouldn't have selected him if he hadn't been.

He'd sat on the sidelines for 2 hours, barely played for 3 minutes and was then asked to take one of the most important kicks of his life - he then overthought it, looked at the goaly rather than the ball, made a poor contact and half-hoofed it.

He tried to be too clever rather than focussing on the basics and trusting in his skill. That's why he missed, not because of his activities on Twitter.
    To be fair he only just missed. A decent todger-length to the right and we'd be saying what a magnificent penalty it was.

Five penalties missed (or saved) by the two teams. Might rain have been a factor? Can the stats nerds tell us if penalties are more commonly missed in the rain?
  • Options
    glw said:

Could someone explain why this is stupid.....

- You are the England manager, and can select from a huge pool of talent.
    - You have, through the medium of substitution, the ability to have players on the bench with singular skills.
    - You recruit at least one person who has the ability to kick penalties at such velocities and with such mind-bending amounts of spin, on multiple axes, that Leon sees aliens.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    I've been listening to R4 much of the morning. I'm quite surprised that they've not mentioned (possibly I just missed) Branson's success with his space-plane.

On their website though.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57797297

I know it's not quite the same league as Musk/Bezos etc, but its still an extraordinary achievement.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,586

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Lessons will be learned.

This means that an officer will solemnly pronounce "Lessons will be learned" at a press conference.

You don't think that means knowledge will be increased, do you? Or practises changed?

That would be an unfair slur on the careers of high flying role model officers. Like Cressida Dick.

We live in the world where, when a high flyer needed a new job in child protection, she was given a glowing reference. The bit about being personally responsible for Rotherham was left out.

Or Charlie Prince couldn't get a job for 6 months after Citi Group. He had to stay at home in his mansion on the Potomac, with only $91 million dollars in golden good bye to keep him company.

I have a relative who is deaf. I recall that the deaf community were most unimpressed to discover that if they lived in or visited London the police might summarily execute them at discretion, by shooting or clubbing, for not stopping when someone shouted at them from behind. No idea if they feel any more confident these days.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,099
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

You predicted from early on that England would reach the final, then lose. You might even have predicted Italy as the likely opponents

I find much of your commentary adolescent and silly, but you do occasionally get things absolutely bang on. Such as this. It makes me think.

Anyway - well done
    No, I predicted we'd get to the final and go down to France. Close but no cigar.

And thanks. I am indeed a curious mix of the adolescent and silly, and the wise old owl. I'll take that.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eek said:

If we are going to discuss football all day (we lost on penalties to a team that was better for 115 minutes of the match) I may as well do some work.

Before I go though a simple piece of advice

Life hack: skip sleep the night before getting passport photos taken, to more accurately reflect how you're going to look to customs officers after international flights

https://twitter.com/liamosaur/status/1414475432531939328

Or just turn left on entering the plane?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD thought police...
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

"Pin resets wipe all data from over 100 Treasury mobile phones
    Permanent secretary Tom Scholar among those affected after entering incorrect passwords repeatedly"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/12/pin-resets-wipe-all-data-from-over-100-treasury-mobile-phones

Well, that's convenient. Embarrassing messages? Jut flub your password and IT will magic them away before the inquiry.
    Standard IT security. It’s like that at my firm too.
    What it should do is wipe the device, only. The messages should be on a server, backed up.

Otherwise you have created a self destruct button for compromising records.
    I’m sure it does and it’s the guardian making up a story.
    The government has confirmed that all the text messages and have been wiped/lost.
    Your faith in the government’s truthfulness is quite touching
  • Options
    Rashford was absolubtely correct to be taking the 3rd penalty. He missed, it happens - it wasn't the wrong choice.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The England football culture is just plain weird. You just don’t get the same level of crushing emotional nonsense with Rugby, Cricket, the Olympics or anything else. All the crap about ‘55 years of hurt’. We prodigiously shoot ourselves in the foot. Sad, but I suspect we’re stuck with it forever more.

Rubbish, I'm still sore about 1991 and 2007.

Absolute tosser of a TMO in 2007.

I hate the All Blacks for their spear tackle on BOD in 2005.

Edit - I'd be even more sore about 2015 and Stuart Lancaster if I hadn't repressed most of it.
    1991 - yes - penalty try. Would be today, no question. 2007 - I'm less sure. Maybe now if the call was try onfield, is there anything to turn it over? The spear tackle on O'Driscoll is one of the most cynical things i have ever seen in sport, and how the players got away with it was astonishing.
    I too have blanked out 2015!
    I think my rage with 2007 is that I spent good money buying tickets for the final, I may have been a bit more sanguine about it.

Oh and tickets for the QF against the Aussies, that was bliss.
    England in 2007 were a mess. We were lucky to get as far as we did.

But event then, the rugby side and culture really don't carry the same baggage. We got into a final last time. We lost, badly and it was a bit embarrassing. But somehow it really didn't carry all of the same baggage.
    I don't think it was embarrassing - we played a stunning game in the semi to knock the All Blacks and then came up short against a South African team on the up, who executed their plan to perfection. We also had little go our way in the game. But not embarrassing by any stretch.
    That scrum, good grief.
    We lost a prop in the first couple of minutes. Could have been a very different game.
    Many reasons why rugby (or any other sport, really) doesn't generate the same rage.
    - Firstly, it's a higher scoring game. So less susceptible to small sample bias. It's generally apparent who the better team is, and the better team almost always wins. In high scoring games, luck evens itself out. The downside is that you get fewer surprises. But you rarely feel cheated when your team loses. In 2007, England lost by the width of Matt Tait's boot - but still lost, and were the second best team.
    - You can play rugby boringly, but you can't really play defensively. You can't spend the whole game passing it back to the goalkeeper. If you don't go forwards, you lose the ball.
    - Football is incomparable in the way it encourages cheating. In almost any other sport, if you cheat, and get caught cheating, the consequences are worse than if you had not cheated. Not so in football. You can pull back a player who has run past you and would be in with a shot on goal and get nothing worse than a yellow card and a free kick which will go nowhere, because it's so low scoring. There is no equivalent of the penalty try, so if you handle the ball on the line to keep the ball out, the other side gets a penalty but may not score. The advantage rule is not played in a sensible way. And as for the hundreds of constant niggles - holding on to the ball until you're ready in position, arguing with the referee, diving, time wasting... It's no wonder football fans get angry.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Permanent secretary Tom Scholar among those affected after entering incorrect passwords repeatedly"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/12/pin-resets-wipe-all-data-from-over-100-treasury-mobile-phones

Well, that's convenient. Embarrassing messages? Jut flub your password and IT will magic them away before the inquiry.
    What it should do is wipe the device, only. The messages should be on a server, backed up.

The government has confirmed that all the text messages and have been wiped/lost.
    Hmmm. The only way I can think off that being a thing would be that after the wipe of the device, they reconnected the device to the service, and the wiped state was imported to the server.

Syncing deleted the data from the server, in effect. But then there should be backups.
    Are SMS messages synced though or are they just on the device?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Wouldn't the goalkeepers then know what to expect for each player, and dive (or not) accordingly?

Yes if the player has a bias towards a side, then the keeper can anticipate it, so you need players who are comfortable shooting either side. Fundamentally the stats show that penalties are about reducing the time a keeper has to react, that comes down to speed and where you aim. It has little to do with tricking the keeper, as the keeper is barely relevant to what is going on the key is executing the shot. Get good at putting it in a top corner and a keeper is stuffed. That's what a "special team" would do.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Leon said:

It was a repeat of the 2018 WC vs Croatia - early goal, sit back and then wait to hit opposing teams on the counter-attack as they look for an equalizer. Which is what makes last night frustrating. The problem is that England do not have players who have that necessary combination of confidence and speed to do that. You saw them get the ball, run for a bit and then look around to see who they could pass it to.

Southgate is a good solid B+ manager - he will get you past even medium to high quality teams and up to a certain level. However, when it comes to the brilliance needed to win competitions, he hasn't get the mental flexibility.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I've been listening to R4 much of the morning. I'm quite surprised that they've not mentioned (possibly I just missed) Branson's success with his space-plane.

On their website though.

I know it's not quite the same league as Musk/Bezos etc, but its still an extraordinary achievement.

It isn't an extraordinary achievement - more a case of sunk cost fallacy crawling across the line.

Hybrid rocket motors are terrible at scaling and efficient combustion. Just looking at the exhaust yesterday, you could see the masses of unburnt propellant. Which makes for horrendous vibration and will cause another accident at some point.

The feathering system has killed one person already and doesn't work for more than low suborbital flight.

The development process was supremely incompetent and killed a number of people in totally avoidable accidents. Playing with pressurised tanks of a mono-propellant, known to be heat sensitive, in the desert sun? Without temperature pressure gauges through the entire system? While people stood a few yards away? While you open a "slam" valve?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,128
    Cyclefree said:

Just a superb piece from you @Cyclefree linked to there, I would encourage everyone to read it.
  • Options
    At last, an appropriately named financial institution....

Ex-Citibank Korea chief joins Toss Bank as outside director
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/biz/2021/07/126_312030.html
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Hmmm. The only way I can think off that being a thing would be that after the wipe of the device, they reconnected the device to the service, and the wiped state was imported to the server.

Syncing deleted the data from the server, in effect. But then there should be backups.
    Are SMS messages synced though or are they just on the device?
    They exist on the telco's servers for a long time. How long depends on the local legal requirements - and those of the local intelligence agencies.

If you use SMS messages in court, they aren't taken from a phone. To be used in court, they are requested from the provider, with a legal chain of proof that they are valid and unaltered.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I have a feeling the opposing keeper didn't see him running up to take the kick in that dazzle camouflage.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Lol. You can afford money for everyone but the poorest. "Won't anyone think of the children nation's finances!" they wail!

Must be awful being that morally corrupted.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388
    edited July 2021

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

To be fair he only just missed. A decent todger-length to the right and we'd be saying what a magnificent penalty it was.

Five penalties missed (or saved) by the two teams. Might rain have been a factor? Can the stats nerds tell us if penalties are more commonly missed in the rain?
    That for was the startling stat.

(Having caught up with the result this morning).

Though everyone seems to be having problems with numbers:

Few thousand?

• Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Just a superb piece from you @Cyclefree linked to there, I would encourage everyone to read it.
    And from the Guardian story, it's obvious that the Met has a systemic problem.
    ...Figures from the Royal College of Policing’s current “barred list” – officers who have been dismissed from a force and are banned from joining another – show that nearly a fifth of offences include abuse of position for sexual purposes, domestic violence or harassment against the public and colleagues.

Of the 555 officers barred since the list was introduced in December 2017, more than 1,100 reasons for dismissal are listed of which more than 200 involve sexual, harassment or domestic abuse offences. Nearly a quarter of the barred officers served in the Met....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    MaxPB said:

Proud of the team. Got to a final. I'm shattered not to win having come so close but with another 18 months of maturity and the WC being before Harry Kane's annual January injury I feel like we're in a really good place to do well at the WC.

Saka taking the most pressurises pen of the tournament was a mistake from Southgate. I think Southgate was tactically poor in the second half, didn't get Henderson on early enough and keeping the back 5 didn't make sense. We looked a lot better with a back four and Henderson marshalling the midfield. Think Henderson on at 60 mins and we don't concede. We lacked solidity in the middle for the whole second half and it showed, Italy just kept coming back in waves.

Anyway, this England team could go on to do great things, I really hope they do.

Yes, we got a final, one better than in 2018. So that's two major cups in a row in which we got to a semi-final or better!
  • Options

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "We are tantalisingly close to the final milestone in our roadmap out of lockdown, but the plan to restore our freedoms must come with a warning."

So, Freedom Day a damp squib then. Close. But not yet there. A plan to restore freedom, not action to restore freedom.

Strange, I read on this very board from PB Clown Apologists that this absolutely would not happen.
    The funny thing is you criticise Boris when he does one thing, then you criticise him fir a course correction.

I think you’d criticise him regardless of what he did. Which makes your criticism of limited value.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Lessons will be learned.

I have a relative who is deaf. I recall that the deaf community were most unimpressed to discover that if they lived in or visited London the police might summarily execute them at discretion, by shooting or clubbing, for not stopping when someone shouted at them from behind. No idea if they feel any more confident these days.
    I recall a certain Mayor of London was lambasted for giving the shove to a Met Police Chief who said that such things were just how it rolls.

In the building trade at the time, this was greeted with general approval. Good sparkles are hard enough to find, even without the local police hunting them.

Incidentally, all the police services in the UK were using the same methodology. Including Police Scotland. The reason why relates to the efforts of the police to keep the military out of counter-terrorism.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Rashford was absolubtely correct to be taking the 3rd penalty. He missed, it happens - it wasn't the wrong choice.

Worth looking at his kick in the Europa League shootout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN5Tls-TBaI

Pretty much identical. What went wrong last night is he got his run up wrong and kicked the ball with his heel.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

Saka taking a penalty before Sterling or Grealish just made no sense to me.

But it happens. We did well to get as far as we did. There's no shame in being Runners Up, even if it is disappointing.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    When Southgate's tenure ends what will be the more important things to learn to bring England future success - the positives or the negatives? And what would you say for other England managers.

I suspect the structural success, for which Southgate can claim at least some credit, will be a key positive. If we learn well, we can - well - here is a list of rival European countries and their major final appearance records since 66:

Germany - 11 finals - W 6 L 5 - longest gap 12 years (2002-14)
    Italy - 8 finals - W 4 L 4 - longest gaps 12 years (1970-82, 1982-94)
    France - 6 finals - W 4 L 2 - longest gap 18 years+ (pre 1966-1084)
    Spain - 4 finals - W 3 L 1 - longest gap 24 years (1984-2008)
    Holland - 4 finals - W 1 L 3 - longest gap 22 years (1988-2010)

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    edited July 2021
    Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree, you're Italian for God's sake!

As the bloke in The Italian Job spake:

"Well, look 'appy, you stupid bastards! We won, didn't we?!"

:lol:

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Gary Neville on Sky News: 'I'm just reading your breaking news and it says "PM condemns racist abuse of England players"... the prime minister said it was okay for the population of this country to boo those players who were trying to promote equality and defend against racism.'
    https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/1414493438163173377

Did sky highlight the fact that he was a Corbyn supporter?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

And from the Guardian story, it's obvious that the Met has a systemic problem.
    ...Figures from the Royal College of Policing’s current “barred list” – officers who have been dismissed from a force and are banned from joining another – show that nearly a fifth of offences include abuse of position for sexual purposes, domestic violence or harassment against the public and colleagues.

Of the 555 officers barred since the list was introduced in December 2017, more than 1,100 reasons for dismissal are listed of which more than 200 involve sexual, harassment or domestic abuse offences. Nearly a quarter of the barred officers served in the Met....
    One wonders if the promise that they were going to close the following loophole was followed through?

- Officer complained about.
    - Officer retires suddenly. Stress. This stops the complaint process.
    - Officer hired by another force. Since the complaint process ended in no action, not relevant.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Charles said:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "We are tantalisingly close to the final milestone in our roadmap out of lockdown, but the plan to restore our freedoms must come with a warning."

So, Freedom Day a damp squib then. Close. But not yet there. A plan to restore freedom, not action to restore freedom.

Strange, I read on this very board from PB Clown Apologists that this absolutely would not happen.
    The funny thing is you criticise Boris when he does one thing, then you criticise him fir a course correction.

I think you’d criticise him regardless of what he did. Which makes your criticism of limited value.
    Its not even a course correction.

He never said and was never going to say "this is over, lets have an orgy and act like Soddom and Gomorrah, there is no need to be cautious".

The power of law has been replaced with advice and guidance, as it should be. Now its on responsible adults to pick and choose how to behave.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,586

Cyclefree said:

She's being supremely tactful.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The England football culture is just plain weird. You just don’t get the same level of crushing emotional nonsense with Rugby, Cricket, the Olympics or anything else. All the crap about ‘55 years of hurt’. We prodigiously shoot ourselves in the foot. Sad, but I suspect we’re stuck with it forever more.

Edit - I'd be even more sore about 2015 and Stuart Lancaster if I hadn't repressed most of it.
    1991 - yes - penalty try. Would be today, no question. 2007 - I'm less sure. Maybe now if the call was try onfield, is there anything to turn it over? The spear tackle on O'Driscoll is one of the most cynical things i have ever seen in sport, and how the players got away with it was astonishing.
    I think my rage with 2007 is that I spent good money buying tickets for the final, I may have been a bit more sanguine about it.

But event then, the rugby side and culture really don't carry the same baggage. We got into a final last time. We lost, badly and it was a bit embarrassing. But somehow it really didn't carry all of the same baggage.
    I don't think it was embarrassing - we played a stunning game in the semi to knock the All Blacks and then came up short against a South African team on the up, who executed their plan to perfection. We also had little go our way in the game. But not embarrassing by any stretch.
    That scrum, good grief.
    We lost a prop in the first couple of minutes. Could have been a very different game.
    Many reasons why rugby (or any other sport, really) doesn't generate the same rage.
    - Firstly, it's a higher scoring game. So less susceptible to small sample bias. It's generally apparent who the better team is, and the better team almost always wins. In high scoring games, luck evens itself out. The downside is that you get fewer surprises. But you rarely feel cheated when your team loses. In 2007, England lost by the width of Matt Tait's boot - but still lost, and were the second best team.
    - You can play rugby boringly, but you can't really play defensively. You can't spend the whole game passing it back to the goalkeeper. If you don't go forwards, you lose the ball.
    - Football is incomparable in the way it encourages cheating. In almost any other sport, if you cheat, and get caught cheating, the consequences are worse than if you had not cheated. Not so in football. You can pull back a player who has run past you and would be in with a shot on goal and get nothing worse than a yellow card and a free kick which will go nowhere, because it's so low scoring. There is no equivalent of the penalty try, so if you handle the ball on the line to keep the ball out, the other side gets a penalty but may not score. The advantage rule is not played in a sensible way. And as for the hundreds of constant niggles - holding on to the ball until you're ready in position, arguing with the referee, diving, time wasting... It's no wonder football fans get angry.
    The deliberate handball to stop a shot on target in the box should probably be a straight goal and red card awarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXCmHcYS2-I
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Times Radio
    @TimesRadio
    ·
    28m
    "We need to stop fixating on suppressing infection."

Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology at
    @UniofOxford
    , says the government needs to "let infection reach an equilibrium level and strenuously protect the vulnerable".

@AasmahMir
    |
    @StigAbell
    |
    @SunetraGupta

Didn't she say we'd reached herd immunity last summer?
    Last Summer? We'd reached in in May 2020!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388

MattW said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

That for was the startling stat.

(Having caught up with the result this morning).

Though everyone seems to be having problems with numbers:

Few thousand?

Bah. Typose.

That for me...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That scrum, good grief.
    The deliberate handball to stop a shot on target in the box should probably be a straight goal and red card awarded.

It's odd that whereas Lampard's over the line shot v Germany in 2010 was the catalyst for GLT being brought in, the same wasn't true of Luis Suarez's handball on the line (he absolutely did the right thing, by the way!). It seems obvious that football should have the penalty goal as part of the laws.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I said on here that we need to keep wearing masks. Got roundly attacked by the Insane Clown Posse. Will never happen they said. Yet here we are, being told to wear masks.

I attack him because he's doing such a massively shit job mate. We need leadership and we have someone who bounces between absolutes and then denies doing so. Either stick to a position because it is right, or do a "when the facts change I change my mind."

Either is fine. Lead from the front. Own the issue. The real problem - in proper Tory language - is that he's frit.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That scrum, good grief.
    Eddie's tactics were all to cock.

England had an aggressive kicking game designed to exploit the opposition fullback. Combined with a pack of block busting ball carriers they were setup to blitz sides early. Whenever they came across a side with a class fullback they came apart as the pack ran out of puff in the second half. It as consitent across the entiure 2016-2019 period now matter how Eddied played with the setup.

Even if Sinckler hadn't been spark'd out you were doomed in the final.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Gary Neville on Sky News: 'I'm just reading your breaking news and it says "PM condemns racist abuse of England players"... the prime minister said it was okay for the population of this country to boo those players who were trying to promote equality and defend against racism.'

An allegation which if correct would entirely change the facts he speaks of...
  • Options

Omnium said:

On their website though.

It isn't an extraordinary achievement - more a case of sunk cost fallacy crawling across the line.

Hybrid rocket motors are terrible at scaling and efficient combustion. Just looking at the exhaust yesterday, you could see the masses of unburnt propellant. Which makes for horrendous vibration and will cause another accident at some point.

The feathering system has killed one person already and doesn't work for more than low suborbital flight.

The development process was supremely incompetent and killed a number of people in totally avoidable accidents. Playing with pressurised tanks of a mono-propellant, known to be heat sensitive, in the desert sun? Without temperature pressure gauges through the entire system? While people stood a few yards away? While you open a "slam" valve?
    NFW would I go on one of them (in the unlikely event of my having the spare cash).
    Though I see his mate Elon has bought a ticket:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/elon-musk-richard-branson-space-flight-b1882180.html
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Pro_Rata said:

When Southgate's tenure ends what will be the more important things to learn to bring England future success - the positives or the negatives? And what would you say for other England managers.

I suspect the structural success, for which Southgate can claim at least some credit, will be a key positive. If we learn well, we can - well - here is a list of rival European countries and their major final appearance records since 66:

Germany reached the final of Euro 2008.

The longest period Germany has not been in a final is the current 2014->
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Charles said:

Its not even a course correction.

He never said and was never going to say "this is over, lets have an orgy and act like Soddom and Gomorrah, there is no need to be cautious".

The power of law has been replaced with advice and guidance, as it should be. Now its on responsible adults to pick and choose how to behave.
    Sadly a lot of adults are not responsible - so you are expecting businesses to do the police's job for them and that may or may not be a good idea.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Saka taking a penalty before Sterling or Grealish just made no sense to me.

But it happens. We did well to get as far as we did. There's no shame in being Runners Up, even if it is disappointing.
    Was Grealish fit after that challenge? Was Sterling, after his 120 minutes of strenuous anonymity? And how do we know they would have done any better?

Its penalties. A lottery. What you need to do is win the game in open play. One shot on target isn't good enough obviously, but Italy were by far the better team and England arguably overperformed by reaching the final at all.

I'm not bothered by the football, but fascinated by the psychology...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That scrum, good grief.

It's odd that whereas Lampard's over the line shot v Germany in 2010 was the catalyst for GLT being brought in, the same wasn't true of Luis Suarez's handball on the line (he absolutely did the right thing, by the way!). It seems obvious that football should have the penalty goal as part of the laws.
    Do you think if it had been someone like Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, France cheated out of the game the rules might have changed, but since it was Ghana it's been overlooked ?
    It'll probably happen again, the incentive to use your hands if you're the last defender deep into time is very logical as the abstract value of the red card decreases as time progresses in the match.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

What has that got to do with anything? Neville's observation is either right or wrong. I despise Corbyn with a vengeance, however I interpret Neville's analysis to be accurate.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    edited July 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That scrum, good grief.

Jackie Charlton wasn't even booked for his in 1966:

https://youtu.be/myG7PSY2auk?t=90
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800

Pro_Rata said:

Germany reached the final of Euro 2008.

The longest period Germany has not been in a final is the current 2014->
    Damn the back of those envelopes.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited July 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Free school meals during the holidays are an insult to working class people. It's saying if they get given the money to buy their children food they'll probably spend it on fags or in slot machines, leaving their children to stay hungry. It's quite similar to the line about coalminers not needing baths in their houses because they'll only put coal in them. Increase welfare benefits instead, either with money or food vouchers.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That scrum, good grief.

Do you think if it had been someone like Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, France cheated out of the game the rules might have changed, but since it was Ghana it's been overlooked ?
    It'll probably happen again, the incentive to use your hands if you're the last defender deep into time is very logical as the abstract value of the red card decreases as time progresses in the match.
    Arguably, that it was an African country being cheated out of the African World Cup made it even worse (or, perhaps, only in the UK...)

Perhaps it doesn't happen enough for it to generate quite the same amount of debate.

The odd one is the ABBA system for penalties. It was brought in then dropped. Very odd. Four shootouts in the Euros. Four wins for the team taking first.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Omnium said:

On their website though.

Yes, I was aware of some the engine issues. However actually getting these things to work is still in my view an achievement. Do you think the feathering type system is a total dead-end technology wise?
  • Options
    Meanwhile, the woke monster rears its ugly head again. Savills are launching an investigation after one of their managers tweeted the "Niggers ruined it for us" message last night. The woke doing further digging and have found a sock-puppet twitter account with even more racism.

Question. You are a company. A member of your staff is outed as posting horrendous racism causing people to react against your company. Do you sack him for gross misconduct?

https://twitter.com/Savills/status/1414484312137912321
    https://twitter.com/HeathertheHeron/status/1414510292525101060
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,961
    Christ, the banter.
    Has she got some hypothetical bar charts to show how these would work?

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1414337291443707920?s=21
  • Options

Meanwhile, the woke monster rears its ugly head again. Savills are launching an investigation after one of their managers tweeted the "Niggers ruined it for us" message last night. The woke doing further digging and have found a sock-puppet twitter account with even more racism.

Question. You are a company. A member of your staff is outed as posting horrendous racism causing people to react against your company. Do you sack him for gross misconduct?

I'm not sure anyone would consider it woke to find racism unacceptable.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

After hubris comes nemesis.

Yawn
    Yawn

I wish you wankers had the bottle to actually fuck off and leave the UK. Sadly you didn't and we're stuck with the stench of a dead country that can't find its own dick because it's fallen off.
    How can they be wankers AND have dicks that have fallen off? I’m assuming they aren’t transgender
    Admirable logic Charles.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,238

glw said:

- You have, through the medium of substitution, the ability to have players on the bench with singular skills.
    - You recruit at least one person who has the ability to kick penalties at such velocities and with such mind-bending amounts of spin, on multiple axes, that Leon sees aliens.
    For penalties within normal play, there will already be experienced, proficient penalty takers, who take and score penalties for their clubs. Harry Kane, for instance.

For penalty shoot-outs, you'd need at least five. Arguably, we had these but not all on the field at the end of extra time. Though remember, Southgate made very late substitutions to get what he thought were his best penalty takers onto the field. Possibly Italy did the same thing but with more time for them to become accustomed to the game and atmosphere.
  • Options

Yes - because chances are he's being doing the same thing in private for years..
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited July 2021

Is that even a question.
    Of course you do.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

On their website though.

Yes, I was aware of some the engine issues. However actually getting these things to work is still in my view an achievement. Do you think the feathering type system is a total dead-end technology wise?
    The feathering doesn't work even as far as the low hypersonic region - Mach 5 or so. Rutan was working from an idea abandoned in the early days of ASSET/AMaRV development line.

Since he didn't contemplate going much above Mach 3, this seemed like a reasonable idea. Since he was seeking a vehicle that was passively stable in re-entry above all else. He was somewhat obsessed with preventing a repeat of Mike Adam's accident.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Scott_xP said:

Italy were the first really good side that we played.

Apart from Scotland...
    Indeed. In light of the English winning the silver medal, our draw with them looks pretty damn good. Can we get a medal too?
  • Options

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

After hubris comes nemesis.

Yawn
    Yawn

I wish you wankers had the bottle to actually fuck off and leave the UK. Sadly you didn't and we're stuck with the stench of a dead country that can't find its own dick because it's fallen off.
    How can they be wankers AND have dicks that have fallen off? I’m assuming they aren’t transgender
    Admirable logic Charles.
    Isn't that a bit bigoted? Saying that wankers have to have... Surely the right to self identify as a wanker is a human right?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

A friend in italy reports much spontaneous joy, singing and fireworks. Zero violence or aggression to Brits as far as she can see.

Why is fan behaviour so much worse in Britain? Genuine question - I have no idea.
  • Options

Savills will 100% sack him but I'd imagine they'd want to consult with employment lawyers 1st. Sacking people without following the correct processes can be expensive, and I'm quite sure a process needs to be followed no matter how egregious an incident.
  • Options
    Hmmm. Once we get over our knee-taking reverence for Southgate, I feel this will impact

‘I said I wanted to take one!!!!
    The gaffer has made so many right decisions through this tournament and he did tonight! But I won’t have people say that I didn’t want to take a peno when I said I will…’

He chose Saka over Grealish. Why??

https://twitter.com/jackgrealish/status/1414522271859888132?s=21
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

A friend in italy reports much spontaneous joy, singing and fireworks. Zero violence or aggression to Brits as far as she can see.

Why is fan behaviour so much worse in Britain? Genuine question - I have no idea.
    I’m new to this football lark, having successfully ignored it for twenty years. Enjoyable game last night.

Are the British fans notably worse than other European sides?

There’s nothing like this in the NZ rugby, but we don’t have a large, ex-industrial lumpen underclass.
  • Options

glw said:

For penalties within normal play, there will already be experienced, proficient penalty takers, who take and score penalties for their clubs. Harry Kane, for instance.

For penalty shoot-outs, you'd need at least five. Arguably, we had these but not all on the field at the end of extra time. Though remember, Southgate made very late substitutions to get what he thought were his best penalty takers onto the field. Possibly Italy did the same thing but with more time for them to become accustomed to the game and atmosphere.
    The medium pace thing someone mentioned earlier reminded me of the England cricket team in the 80s facing the West Indies.... Facing an opposition trained by their fellow players to deal with some of the faster bowling on the planet, England would find yet another medium pace bowler. And get hit out of the ground.
  • Options

Is that even a question.
    Of course you do.
    Personally I would, in a heartbeat. Yet when racism / rioting gets exposed and people get the sack, there are always people saying that its a witch hunt...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Savills will 100% sack him but I'd imagine they'd want to consult with employment lawyers 1st. Sacking people without following the correct processes can be expensive, and I'm quite sure a process needs to be followed no matter how egregious an incident.
    Yup - suspend him, subject to a disciplinary hearing. Otherwise you risk giving a possibly (since the charge needs to be proved) very unpleasant person a large sum of money.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

It isn’t. Twit
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I would hope he is already on his way home to do some gardening, and his future employment will be subject to the results of the investigation.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I’m new to this football lark, having successfully ignored it for twenty years. Enjoyable game last night.

Are the British fans notably worse than other European sides?

There’s nothing like this in the NZ rugby, but we don’t have a large, ex-industrial lumpen underclass.
    Generally I'd say our fans (and tourists in general) are more likely to be loutish. But they're less likely to kill/seriously harm others than, say, Italian fans. I haven't done Rome, but I know you have to be super careful if you go there.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hmmm. Once we get over our knee-taking reverence for Southgate, I feel this will impact

‘I said I wanted to take one!!!!
    The gaffer has made so many right decisions through this tournament and he did tonight! But I won’t have people say that I didn’t want to take a peno when I said I will…’

He chose Saka over Grealish. Why??

https://twitter.com/jackgrealish/status/1414522271859888132?s=21

"I want to take one!" isn't the same as being in any fit state to do so. We don't know how and why the list was finalised but had the game been won in open play it wouldn't matter. Anyone can miss a penalty.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Charles said:

HYUFD was banned?!

HYUFD, you are wrong, and you have been posting questionable nonsense on here for the last twelve hours.

If you believe Rashford was being overtly party political, you are also wrong. If anything, Labour jumped onto the Rashford bandwagon rather than the other way around.
    I think that's factually correct, though we were right to jump on it as it was a good cause. But anyway - how would Tories doing this stuff feel if Rashford had scored the winner and we said "This shows that Rashford and Lsbour were right"? They'd say "Idiots!" and they'd be right. Footballers sometimes score and sometimes miss an opportunity. There is NO political significance in it either way.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

It isn’t. Twit
    I seem to remember riots along the Champs-Élysées when Paris won the 2018 world cup...
  • Options

Is that even a question.
    Of course you do.
    Personally I would, in a heartbeat. Yet when racism / rioting gets exposed and people get the sack, there are always people saying that its a witch hunt...
    With due respect, this is straw-mannery.

I doubt he’ll get many people defending his “right” to utter offensive racial slurs on the net.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,128

Scott_xP said:

Italy were the first really good side that we played.

Apart from Scotland...
    Indeed. In light of the English winning the silver medal, our draw with them looks pretty damn good. Can we get a medal too?
    We should have won that match to be honest. It was England's worst performance in the entire tournament.
This discussion has been closed.