Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183

More good news: whilst Covid case rates continue to climb in much of the Home Counties, all three of the Bedfordshire unitaries (where Delta hit earlier) are now on their way down. Moreover, the total number of Covid patients in the local hospital trust - updated as recently as Tuesday - is only 21, and all hospital indicators (admissions, total patients and ventilator beds) have been virtually static for the last fortnight.

Covid deaths for the whole of Bedfordshire so far this month, using the within 28 days of a test measure, stand at 4. In a population of nearly 700,000.

It's all immensely encouraging.

We might be hitting the sweet spot of rising positive tests in the young and fit accelerating us towards herd immunity. That is, at least, the hope.

Hospitalisations figures nationwide seem to be flattening out.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,675

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

another thing which I noticed is the amount of places that don't accept cash anymore. I found myself in central london with no cards on me and only cash, I was turned away from literally all of the outlets in charing cross station, the only place I could buy dinner from was marks and spencer.

I went in to Itsu and just well how the fuck am I going to eat anything if no one accepts cash and the woman behind the counter just shrugged.

The pandemic has killed my cash habit and I don't think it's coming back. It's been over 15 months now since I last used.
    yeah but what happens if you lose your cards (as I did). What then? Also making payment by card compulsory is a backdoor to permanent surveillance, it is a major encroachment in to freedom.
    Cards aren't compulsory but nor should accepting cash be.

Cash is a nightmare for businesses. Insecure, at serious risk of sticky fingers, creates a risk of robberies and theft, and creates problems for transportation. Cards at least guarantee that a transaction processed sees the money reach the bank account and not be disrupted by ending in someone else's pocket instead.

As for losing cards, that's not really much different to losing your cash. Besides you can load your cards onto your phone nowadays too, so even without your cards even if you have your phone you can still use your cards.
    With my RBS account if I lose my card/am without my card I can still withdraw cash (£150 per 24 hours) via the RBS app.
    How's that any different to if I am without my card I can still pay with any of my cards contactlessly via my Samsung Pay app?
    The moment you report your card lost/stolen it should stop working on Samsung Pay/Apple Pay/Google Pay until you receive your new card.
    That's why you should always have one totally virtual card that is only on your phone. (Or where the physical card is at home.)
    It really annoying that Privacy.com isn't in the UK. That is such a good idea, where you create all these virtual cards for online, so you can have different ones for services you use regularly and you create a one off if you are buying from a website you aren't certain about.
    Monzo allow you to do that, but only if you pay.
    How much does it cost?
    £5 per month.

You get a lot of other perks as well.

https://monzo.com/i/monzo-plus/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,190

Report on Sky has just said that Europe's Delta variant will be at 90% by the end of August and with their double dose vaccinations much lower than the UK, other than Malta, Europe is looking at a very serious situation in the Autumn

Now I am no expert on this, but there are many on here who have really good knowledge of covid spread and I would ask is this report fair and if so, how sensible is it travelling abroad at all this year

It is as if Merkel and Macron are attempting to close the stable door, but the horses have already gone

The EU is around six weeks behind the UK.

Doses per 100 people* in the EU are around 80, which is where the UK was on 12 May. They are also almost entirely Pfizer/Moderna so there is slightly quicker protection.

So, unless you think that vaccination rates are going to collapse in the EU (and so far they've been accelerating), they will exit this about six weeks after we do.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

another thing which I noticed is the amount of places that don't accept cash anymore. I found myself in central london with no cards on me and only cash, I was turned away from literally all of the outlets in charing cross station, the only place I could buy dinner from was marks and spencer.

I went in to Itsu and just well how the fuck am I going to eat anything if no one accepts cash and the woman behind the counter just shrugged.

The pandemic has killed my cash habit and I don't think it's coming back. It's been over 15 months now since I last used.
    yeah but what happens if you lose your cards (as I did). What then? Also making payment by card compulsory is a backdoor to permanent surveillance, it is a major encroachment in to freedom.

Cash is a nightmare for businesses. Insecure, at serious risk of sticky fingers, creates a risk of robberies and theft, and creates problems for transportation. Cards at least guarantee that a transaction processed sees the money reach the bank account and not be disrupted by ending in someone else's pocket instead.

As for losing cards, that's not really much different to losing your cash. Besides you can load your cards onto your phone nowadays too, so even without your cards even if you have your phone you can still use your cards.
    With my RBS account if I lose my card/am without my card I can still withdraw cash (£150 per 24 hours) via the RBS app.
    How's that any different to if I am without my card I can still pay with any of my cards contactlessly via my Samsung Pay app?
    The moment you report your card lost/stolen it should stop working on Samsung Pay/Apple Pay/Google Pay until you receive your new card.
    That's why you should always have one totally virtual card that is only on your phone. (Or where the physical card is at home.)
    It really annoying that Privacy.com isn't in the UK. That is such a good idea, where you create all these virtual cards for online, so you can have different ones for services you use regularly and you create a one off if you are buying from a website you aren't certain about.
    How much does it cost?
    £5 per month.

Cheers, I will take a look.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Report on Sky has just said that Europe's Delta variant will be at 90% by the end of August and with their double dose vaccinations much lower than the UK, other than Malta, Europe is looking at a very serious situation in the Autumn

Now I am no expert on this, but there are many on here who have really good knowledge of covid spread and I would ask is this report fair and if so, how sensible is it travelling abroad at all this year

It is as if Merkel and Macron are attempting to close the stable door, but the horses have already gone

Perhaps the first question to ask is whether or not it'll take as long as another two-and-a-half months for Delta to take over in at least some of the EU countries?
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    edited June 2021

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Why not just leave one card at home at all times so that even if you lose the ones with you the card that is safe can still be used from your watch without any need to panic? I tend not to carry cards at all now, mind you. Watch and £10.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,448
    RobD said:

Good news, everyone. The British Antarctic Territory has been added to the safe travel list for NI (and presumably England). What better place to spend August? ;)

It is quite the most magnificent continent to visit and my wife and I feel very privileged to have spent time there with various landings

Though August is winter and no daylight
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,650
    Murphy's great principle suggests that the buyer should always be prepared to pay in a good number of the possible ways and that the seller should accept payment ditto.

Either no cash (getting more frequent) or cash only (it still exists) is going to be victim to the principle.

Occasionally a scrawled notice will go up on a petrol station "cash only" as the electronics fails.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,524

RobD said:

Good news, everyone. The British Antarctic Territory has been added to the safe travel list for NI (and presumably England). What better place to spend August? ;)

It is quite the most magnificent continent to visit and my wife and I feel very privileged to have spent time there with various landings

I’m told the great thing about the area is that when you fancy a chocolate, you can just pick one up.

After all, the area is full of Penguins.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

I’m told the great thing about the area is that when you fancy a chocolate, you can just pick one up.

After all, the area is full of Penguins.
    And you smell them before you hear them
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

Perhaps the first question to ask is whether or not it'll take as long as another two-and-a-half months for Delta to take over in at least some of the EU countries?
    It happens very quickly:

https://www.ft.com/content/d4abbe5e-8650-4a76-9fea-2d3efa2ed52b
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

How much does it cost?
    £5 per month.

I do know that at least one traditional high street banking group is planning on launching something similar but not until H2 of 2022 at the earliest.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,149

Feeling a bit depressed by stats today - can someone help me?

UK 7 day cases up by 44%, deaths up by 32%, hospitalisations up by 17%. On what basis does anyone expect the lockdown restrictions to ease in a few weeks time? ☹️

Don't look at the national picture look how things have progressed in Bolton, Blackburn and Bedford.

It is very encouraging.

And if you want hospitalisations here's England recent numbers:

22/06 182
    21/06 181
    20/06 171
    19/06 178
    18/06 185
    17/06 202
    16/06 177
    15/06 188
    14/06 185
    13/06 187

About 5% of January's.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Doses per 100 people* in the EU are around 80, which is where the UK was on 12 May. They are also almost entirely Pfizer/Moderna so there is slightly quicker protection.

So, unless you think that vaccination rates are going to collapse in the EU (and so far they've been accelerating), they will exit this about six weeks after we do.

To be fair I am not knowledgeable enough, it was Sky's reporter who was using charts and sounding very concerned
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

How much does it cost?
    £5 per month.

I do know that at least one traditional high street banking group is planning on launching something similar but not until H2 of 2022 at the earliest.
    It really is such an obvious service to offer and one which i am sure most people would love to have. I presume some sort of regulations mean privacy haven't launched here.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,381

maaarsh said:

Sri Lanka choosing to bat first was always going to short change spectators and this is setting up to be a men against boys waste of time.

Sri Lanka aren't very good are they.
    The Scotland of cricket.
    They used to be a terrific side for many years. Clearly lost their way.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,921
    edited June 2021
    JohnO said:

Roger said:

Just seen an interview with George Galloway on Ch4 News. He was extremely rude to his female interviewer before telling her to get off his bus. Horrible man!

He probably do well.

Wait a sec. Weren’t you singing his praises this very morn as someone who would speak up for Palestinians in Parliament?
    Good to see you recovered and firing on both cylinders!

Yes I did. I'd forgotten what a creepy man he is. Quite chilling. Being kicked off a bus by the conductor is bad enough but by Galloway in front of the TV cameras must have been extremely embarrassing.
  • Options

Good point
  • Options

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Why not just leave one card at home at all times so that even if you lose the ones with you the card that is safe can still be used from your watch without any need to panic? I tend not to carry cards at all now, mind you. Watch and £10.
    That's what I do.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

One of the most frustrating things about the modellers and the media is their seeming inability to adjust for vaccination. This has been going on for months now.
  • Options

Delta is obviously accelerating in the EU. It's massively more transmissible, and therefore will race through unvaccinated populations.

The EU is also behind the UK for vaccination rates.

But against that, the EU had far less seeding of Delta than the UK. There are no EU countries in the top 25 list of India diasporas. So, they started at lower levels. And the EU is vaccinating pretty quick right now. The last two weeks saw them do 28 million jabs in arms, and the bloc is at around 80 doses per 100 people, which is where the UK was about six weeks ago.

So, my guess is that the EU will see a very similar experience to us in a few weeks time, with Delta racing through unvaccinated populations, but it having only a relatively modest effect on hospitalisations.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I also am no expert but the way I see it:

At the rate they are vaccinating, they will probably be OK. As in they are only about 4 or 9 weeks behind the UK, depending on whether you look at first or second doses, and are putting more jabs in arms more rapidly that we are/where. and most of EU is I would think 6 or 8 weeks behind in terms of Delta. it will also i expect be clear form the UK that Delta will crat a lot of extra cases, but not so much hospitalisations, so little to be gained by expending lockdowns.

Caveats:

1) Some parts of the EU are ahead with Delta, the Iberian peninsula and Scandinavia, both may get more badly hit.

2) With more elderly people refusing the vaccine in some Eu nations, there could be a slightly bigger death tole,
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

There's a big difference in vaccination levels between different EU countries.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

How much does it cost?
    £5 per month.

It really is such an obvious service to offer and one which i am sure most people would love to have. I presume some sort of regulations mean privacy haven't launched here.
    A bit of regulation the major issue is a lot of banks are switching from VISA to Mastercard for both debit cards and credit cards (and going exclusive on the latter.)

Once that is sorted virtual cards should be easier to launch and deal with.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

One of the most frustrating things about the modellers and the media is their seeming inability to adjust for vaccination. This has been going on for months now.
    This report was looking at Europe's double dose vaccination rates
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

To be fair I am not knowledgeable enough, it was Sky's reporter who was using charts and sounding very concerned
    The Sky lady could just go to https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita to see exactly how far behind various countries are.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

How much does it cost?
    £5 per month.

A bit of regulation the major issue is a lot of banks are switching from VISA to Mastercard for both debit cards and credit cards (and going exclusive on the latter.)

What's the deal with the switch from visa to MasterCard?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,688
    My older daughter, all of15, just schooled me on the use of non-binary pronouns
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GB News wonderful interview at the moment
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The Sky lady could just go to https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita to see exactly how far behind various countries are.

Actually it was a male presenter and his charts seemed authentic but I cannot really comment as I am not an expert on Europe's vaccination rates
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,917
    Alistair said:

BigRich said:

Thanks for your weekly update, hoping the number do speed up,

Just wondering has Newham, been badly hit in any of the earlier waves? if so it could be that many of the unvaccinated have some immunity?

Yes, Newham got absolutely smashed in the January wave. Absolutely crushed.
    Did it? Can't say I remember that - can you provide some figures please?

• Options
    AN: “but if you do that it will lead to an economic slump and destitution”

Extinction Rebellion : “Yes”

AN: “what?”

ER: “I’m not disagreeing with you”
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The only sensible way to look at it is total vaccinations per capita, because different countries have different strategies. So, Finland (for example) is massively prioritising first doses, with the consequence they have 68.7% of adults with at least one, but only 19.2% with both.

By contrast, the Spanish have twice the number of people double vaccinated, but many fewer with a first dose.

Ultimately, so long as the doses keep arriving and getting put into peoples' arms, then the EU will exit this five to six weeks after the UK.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,921

On topic, bring back the birch or the death penalty for antivaxxers.

Either will do, they should not be allowed to hold the rest of society back.

Didn’t see you as a racist.
    Absolutely, my house is adorned with portraits of Nick Griffin and Enoch Powell.
    Couldn't you find space for Maggie?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I think the simple - non-sexist, non-transphobic - solution to this is that we have different pronouns for people between the ages of 12 and 24. They should all be referred to as "it".
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,203

maaarsh said:

Sri Lanka choosing to bat first was always going to short change spectators and this is setting up to be a men against boys waste of time.

The Scotland of cricket.
    Bit harsh. Sri Lanka has won as many cricket World cups as England.
    Much better food and weather than Scotland too.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

XR top people are very open about things, XR isn't about saving the planet, it is about destroying the whole capitalist system. Returning to a world of self sufficiency, communal manual labour and bartering.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Lovely stuff.

My pronouns are eff and off.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I read somewhere their viewing figures are 26% more than the BBC and 3 times Sky
  • Options
    Charles said:

Why would anyone be surprised? That’s their stated aim.

Albeit I’ve always had a sneaking suspicion that its founders, a bankrupt farmer and a failed academic, were rather anxious for money themselves...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

How much does it cost?
    £5 per month.

What's the deal with the switch from visa to MasterCard?
    Money (Mastercard are offering lower transaction fees than VISA) and the fact Mastercard want to be even more high profile.

They like to sponsor events then offer free tickets for card users.

Mastercard have gone aggressively in the UK, they've got Santander (who have moved over), TSB (who will move over soon but are still recovering from the systems failure in 2018).

There's a couple of others who will move over soon, I think the pandemic has put things on hold.
  • Options
    ER: “in 90% of circumstances your viewers will think I’m mad”

AN chuckles

ER: “ but that’s why you’ve got me on here”
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

There are chunks of Eastern Europe - Bulgaria and Romania in particular - who are massively behind the curve. Albeit they have relatively small populations.

Does anyone know why?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Delta is obviously accelerating in the EU. It's massively more transmissible, and therefore will race through unvaccinated populations.

But against that, the EU had far less seeding of Delta than the UK. There are no EU countries in the top 25 list of India diasporas. So, they started at lower levels. And the EU is vaccinating pretty quick right now. The last two weeks saw them do 28 million jabs in arms, and the bloc is at around 80 doses per 100 people, which is where the UK was about six weeks ago.

So, my guess is that the EU will see a very similar experience to us in a few weeks time, with Delta racing through unvaccinated populations, but it having only a relatively modest effect on hospitalisations.
    That depends on the number of anti-vaxxers per country.

Notice that Scotland has been hit much harder by Delta than England - not because it has more anti-vaxxers but because it had a lower level of acquired immunity from previous waves.

A 10% difference in protection could make a lot of difference in how various European countries are affected by Delta.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The French vax effort is slowing down as they approach hesitancy and cannot-be-arsed-its-summer
  • Options
    Roger said:

On topic, bring back the birch or the death penalty for antivaxxers.

Either will do, they should not be allowed to hold the rest of society back.

Didn’t see you as a racist.
    Absolutely, my house is adorned with portraits of Nick Griffin and Enoch Powell.
    Couldn't you find space for Maggie?
    I actually do have a shrine room, dedicated to Maggie, Dave (pbuh), George, and Ken Clarke.

Mostly Dave as I've got a few things signed by him.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

There are chunks of Eastern Europe - Bulgaria and Romania in particular - who are massively behind the curve. Albeit they have relatively small populations.

Does anyone know why?
    Poverty and its consequences, presumably.
  • Options
    Roger said:

JohnO said:

Roger said:

Just seen an interview with George Galloway on Ch4 News. He was extremely rude to his female interviewer before telling her to get off his bus. Horrible man!

He probably do well.

Wait a sec. Weren’t you singing his praises this very morn as someone who would speak up for Palestinians in Parliament?

Yes I did. I'd forgotten what a creepy man he is. Quite chilling. Being kicked off a bus by the conductor is bad enough but by Galloway in front of the TV cameras must have been extremely embarrassing.
    I think this is the incident you are referring to:

it cuts out before she is asked to leave, but you get the gist of it, A pore interviewer with a pore interviewee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBKFOLvYlzo
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's going to be shock starting to read anything in the whole of world literature written before the middle of last year.
  • Options

It is nearly complete, since everyone's been offered the vaccine.

If everyone wanted it they'd be getting done, or be done already, the fact only 4,500 were done is precisely because not everybody wants it.

That's just a glib response and it also has the added benefit of being wrong.

The situation in my part of London is they are continuing to offer walk-in vaccinations at the weekends. 4,200 Pfizer first vaccinations were administered at the Tottenham Hotspur ground last weekend - there were huge queues at Stratford as well. There's clearly still plenty of demand for vaccinations out there and I hope the mass vaccination weekend events continue.

Given all the reported queues, I think you labour under some assumption these "mass" events can vaccinate tens of thousands at a time - no, they don't.

There's also this notion "everyone has been offered the vaccine" which you cite as some holy writ but that doesn't translate into people getting vaccinated. Not everyone rushes to the NHS Website - for many people in my part of the world, alternative ways of reaching them and getting them vaccinated are needed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

The French vax effort is slowing down as they approach hesitancy and cannot-be-arsed-its-summer
    Last week saw a record number of vaccinations in France: 4.6 million.

Now, I grant you that they will almost certainly have more vaccine refuseniks than the UK, but so far their vaccination effort has been speeding up, not slowing down.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Charles said:

Have they ironed out the AV issues people were talking about at launch?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    stodge said:

Alistair said:

BigRich said:

Thanks for your weekly update, hoping the number do speed up,

Just wondering has Newham, been badly hit in any of the earlier waves? if so it could be that many of the unvaccinated have some immunity?

Yes, Newham got absolutely smashed in the January wave. Absolutely crushed.
    Did it? Can't say I remember that - can you provide some figures please?

ENGLAND cases per 100k over the whole pandemic is 7200

Newham cases per 100k over the whole pandemic is 10300

On my phone so can't post the graphs but compare the shape of the cases graph for Newham compared to, say, the Northwest or Scotland.

The January peak is so huge you can't even see the October peak.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

It's going to be shock starting to read anything in the whole of world literature written before the middle of last year.
    It won’t be an issue. They’ll all simply be banned.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Adjusting for time? Or assuming static?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    RobD said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

It's that time of the week (don't you just love it?) when I take a look at the latest vaccination numbers in my own back yard, the London Borough of Newham.

This time last week, 143,429 adults over 30 had received a first vaccination - this week the number is 147,866 so that's 4,500 extra.

Among all those over 16, it was 162,150 last week and this week it's 174,037 so nearly another 12,000 first vaccinations and well over half of them under 30 year olds so all welcome.

Looking at 2nd vaccination numbers, the number of adults 30 and above who had received two vaccinations was 90,272 (84,870 last week) and for all over 16 it's 100,139 compared with 93,163 last week.

The proportion of adults over 30 having received a first vaccination is now 58% compared with 56.3% last week while the second dose proportion is now 35.4% from 33.3% last week.

There remain over 100,000 adults over 30 in Newham who have yet to be vaccinated - we did 4,500 last week so you can work out how long it's going to take if everyone wanted it. Assuming 80% take up which would be roughly 200,000 people we aren't three quarters of the way there and it's taken nearly seven months - at 4,500 per week we're still looking at three months to get everyone over 30 to have a single vaccination.

The notion the vaccination rollout is near complete may be valid in some places - it's not valid in Newham.

It's complete when everyone has been offered it, unless you propose forcing people to have it.
    Offered, and had the opportunity to have it.
    My daughter has been offered it. With the earliest appointment offered in two weeks, 30 miles away.
    But she’s been offered an appointment, certainly.
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337

Charles said:

XR top people are very open about things, XR isn't about saving the planet, it is about destroying the whole capitalist system. Returning to a world of self sufficiency, communal manual labour and bartering.
    Ironic really as it’s stuffed full of Tarquins and Jemimas who rely on their parents funds, have never worked in their lives and rely on the servants.
  • Options
    Charles said:

AN chuckles

Who is ER?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    darkage said:

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

I used to resist using a card as I wanted 100% of my money to go to the local shop instead of a financial service, but I've never worried about leaving a trail. If MI5 (bizarrely) ever want to know what I'm doing, I'm resigned to the fact that they'll have ways to figure it out, without depending on observing that I've been to Sainsbury.
    The fact that MI5 can put people under surveillance, for mostly good reasons, is not to my mind a good reason to accept mandatory card payments. Nor ID cards, nor CCTV everywhere etc - its the same slippery slope.

I don't mind card payments myself, but would rather preserve these freedoms.

Companies choosing not to accept cash doesn't make it mandatory. Its just their choice. If you don't like it, you can make your own choices.
  • Options
    stodge said:

It is nearly complete, since everyone's been offered the vaccine.

If everyone wanted it they'd be getting done, or be done already, the fact only 4,500 were done is precisely because not everybody wants it.

That's just a glib response and it also has the added benefit of being wrong.

The situation in my part of London is they are continuing to offer walk-in vaccinations at the weekends. 4,200 Pfizer first vaccinations were administered at the Tottenham Hotspur ground last weekend - there were huge queues at Stratford as well. There's clearly still plenty of demand for vaccinations out there and I hope the mass vaccination weekend events continue.

Given all the reported queues, I think you labour under some assumption these "mass" events can vaccinate tens of thousands at a time - no, they don't.

There's also this notion "everyone has been offered the vaccine" which you cite as some holy writ but that doesn't translate into people getting vaccinated. Not everyone rushes to the NHS Website - for many people in my part of the world, alternative ways of reaching them and getting them vaccinated are needed.
    Most people have been offered the vaccine, it is just take up rates are abysmal there. You can see the same stats for other vaccination campaigns, it's consistently has the lowest take up rate amongst all local authorities.
  • Options

Charles said:

AN: but that will cause economic misery

XR: Exactly

AN: And you want that?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Now, I grant you that they will almost certainly have more vaccine refuseniks than the UK, but so far their vaccination effort has been speeding up, not slowing down.
    I was going by the words of the French PM. I accept that he is likely to err on the side of alarmism

"Prime Minister Jean Castex on Thursday urged more French to get their first Covid vaccine dose, acknowledging that fewer people are signing up for slots as the summer holidays approach.

"“We’re vaccinating 200,000 people a day” with an initial jab, Castex said during a visit to the Landes department of southwest France, where the more contagious Delta variant of the virus now accounts for 70 percent of all new cases.

"“That’s not enough,” he said, after initial doses peaked at nearly 500,000 a day last month.

“We’ve done much better, and we have to do much better,” he said"

https://www.macaubusiness.com/france-must-do-much-better-on-vaccinations-pm/

The will plateau ~70% vaxxed? Possibly not enough against Deltya
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Have they ironed out the AV issues people were talking about at launch?
    Yep
  • Options

Charles said:

I read somewhere their viewing figures are 26% more than the BBC and 3 times Sky
    Yes, that was on Androw Niels tweet, linked on here a couple of hours ago.

As I don't have a TV I cant watch, but for anybody watching GB News, have they mostly sorted out the 'Tec' issues they had last week or is it still happening but not worth commenting on any more?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

Charles said:

AN chuckles

Who is ER?
    Extinction rebellion founder

Roger Hallam

He just said “you wouldn’t bet the farm”… given his track record

@ydoethur
  • Options
    Its rather ironic that George Galloway stands for the workers party....has he ever done a proper day of work in his life?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

rcs1000 said:

Adjusting for time? Or assuming static?
    The reporter gave me the impression he was talking of the position at the end of August and specifically double dose rates
  • Options

Charles said:

Two questions for XR: What is the sustainable human population worldwide if your aims are achieved.

Does your personal lifestyle, wealth, salary, pension plan, ambition and family life reflect what you want for the world as a whole.

• Options

maaarsh said:

The Scotland of cricket.
    Scotland have really annoyed me this week.

Even worse than their shameful behaviour over Billy Gilmour's Covid-19 result the fuckers have earwormed me with Yes Sir, I Can Boogie.

Absolute fucking roasters.
  • Options

RobD said:

stodge said:

It's that time of the week (don't you just love it?) when I take a look at the latest vaccination numbers in my own back yard, the London Borough of Newham.

This time last week, 143,429 adults over 30 had received a first vaccination - this week the number is 147,866 so that's 4,500 extra.

Among all those over 16, it was 162,150 last week and this week it's 174,037 so nearly another 12,000 first vaccinations and well over half of them under 30 year olds so all welcome.

Looking at 2nd vaccination numbers, the number of adults 30 and above who had received two vaccinations was 90,272 (84,870 last week) and for all over 16 it's 100,139 compared with 93,163 last week.

The proportion of adults over 30 having received a first vaccination is now 58% compared with 56.3% last week while the second dose proportion is now 35.4% from 33.3% last week.

There remain over 100,000 adults over 30 in Newham who have yet to be vaccinated - we did 4,500 last week so you can work out how long it's going to take if everyone wanted it. Assuming 80% take up which would be roughly 200,000 people we aren't three quarters of the way there and it's taken nearly seven months - at 4,500 per week we're still looking at three months to get everyone over 30 to have a single vaccination.

The notion the vaccination rollout is near complete may be valid in some places - it's not valid in Newham.

It's complete when everyone has been offered it, unless you propose forcing people to have it.
    My daughter has been offered it. With the earliest appointment offered in two weeks, 30 miles away.
    Given that 1/2 of the total population of the borough (not just those over 18) have not had a vaccine, that suggests a significant number of people who are amongst the older groups who have been offered it for quite a while now.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,645
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Couple of other points to consider:

UK total cases have been rising steadily for about five weeks now. Of the other big European countries, cases are still falling in DE, FR, IT, might be beginning to go up in ES.

Not vaccinating so slavishly by age should break some of the chains of infection the UK has seen in its Youth Clubs.

In a lot of countries, schools have or are just about to break up, which will help.

But the key thing for all of us is the situation come September when schools go back and we all scurry inside again. And there's no real sign that all of Europe won't be securely vaxed by then.
  • Options

Its rather ironic that George Galloway stands for the workers party....has he ever done a proper day of work in his life?

Well there was that time he pretended to be a cat.

Does that count?
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

I was going by the words of the French PM. I accept that he is likely to err on the side of alarmism

"Prime Minister Jean Castex on Thursday urged more French to get their first Covid vaccine dose, acknowledging that fewer people are signing up for slots as the summer holidays approach.

"“We’re vaccinating 200,000 people a day” with an initial jab, Castex said during a visit to the Landes department of southwest France, where the more contagious Delta variant of the virus now accounts for 70 percent of all new cases.

"“That’s not enough,” he said, after initial doses peaked at nearly 500,000 a day last month.

“We’ve done much better, and we have to do much better,” he said"

https://www.macaubusiness.com/france-must-do-much-better-on-vaccinations-pm/

The will plateau ~70% vaxxed? Possibly not enough against Deltya
    Fair enough: I was using the total jabs, not the first/second dose. Worth noting that they are over 60% of adults with a first dose already, and increase by 2.5% last week, so 70% is probably a bit on the pessimistic side. (Worth also remembering that in some US states lotteries have been very effective at increasing vaccine uptake.)
  • Options

RobD said:

stodge said:

Where is she? Availability must be rather variable, depending on your location.

I logged on to book my second jab via the NHS website (first was via GP) on Wednesday, and picked a convenient centre in Cambridge, a short journey up the railway line.

Thursday morning was booked solid. Appointments available Thursday afternoon and every day after that. Am all set up for Saturday morning.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Charles said:

Yes, that was on Androw Niels tweet, linked on here a couple of hours ago.

As I don't have a TV I cant watch, but for anybody watching GB News, have they mostly sorted out the 'Tec' issues they had last week or is it still happening but not worth commenting on any more?
    I am not a regular viewer but some of the glitches seem to have gone

I still tend to have Sky in the background
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,102
    O/T

This is one of the best sketches I've ever watched. Dave Allen, 1976.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-iF45pOlI
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    algarkirk said:

Charles said:

Two questions for XR: What is the sustainable human population worldwide if your aims are achieved.

Does your personal lifestyle, wealth, salary, pension plan, ambition and family life reflect what you want for the world as a whole.

Pinker talks about this in his last book..... efficiency in farming has enabled famine to basically be eliminated while using a total of less land mass. Also all this return to "natural" produce is a nonsense as basically everything we think of as such is a result of interbreeding e.g. all apples.
  • Options

Did Lenin? Or Che? Or Pol Pot? Or Osama bin Laden, for that matter?

Revolutionaries and radicals tend to come from the provincial upper and upper-middle classes, provincial enough to feel excluded from the elite status quo, high class enough to be leisured and comfortable, so they feel able to focus on politics
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

maaarsh said:

The Scotland of cricket.

Even worse than their shameful behaviour over Billy Gilmour's Covid-19 result the fuckers have earwormed me with Yes Sir, I Can Boogie.

No, incorrect usage.

You get a timeout from using scotch words.

Except for "outwith" you have to use that one in your next piece of work related writing.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Charles said:

Half a billion
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

Roger said:

JohnO said:

Roger said:

He probably do well.

I think this is the incident you are referring to:

it cuts out before she is asked to leave, but you get the gist of it, A pore interviewer with a pore interviewee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBKFOLvYlzo
    The lady from CH4 is very unprofessional, with her stupid quip about is this a woke bus.... can't i offend anybody.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Who with?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to Spain, including the Balearic Islands but excluding the Canary Islands.

Meanwhile, the government has the Balearics on the Green List but Canaries on Amber!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Why has Israel been placed on the Green Watchlist?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Most people have been offered the vaccine, it is just take up rates are abysmal there. You can see the same stats for other vaccination campaigns, it's consistently has the lowest take up rate amongst all local authorities.

Like @Philip_Thompson, you look at the numbers and jump to all sorts of conclusions. We've had this argument before - you can't apply a simplistic solution to what is in fact a complex situation.

The way some people live their lives in my part of London means their time to go and get a vaccination is often very limited - the weekend mass vaccination centres were very popular with huge queues - if there was no demand there wouldn't have been. There need to be more of these - I'm absolutely convinced the demand is there especially among younger adults but the way the vaccines are provided needs to be re-focussed.

I fully accept a proportion of the 100,000 unvaccinated adults over 30 in Newham won't be vaccinated but the effort to get as many of them as possible vaccinated has to continue and it makes no sense to "wind down" the vaccination rollout at this time. Even 4,500 per week makes a difference.

• Options
    Leon said:

Revolutionaries and radicals tend to come from the provincial upper and upper-middle classes, provincial enough to feel excluded from the elite status quo, high class enough to be leisured and comfortable, so they feel able to focus on politics
    Men of the people.....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

maaarsh said:

The Scotland of cricket.

No, incorrect usage.

Except for "outwith" you have to use that one in your next piece of work related writing.
    Oh I regularly use outwith, the joys of having a Scottish boss for so long in my career.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Theodore Dalrymple / Dr Anthony Daniels has pointed this out many times in his books on Central America. Well worth reading IMO.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coups-Cocaine-Journeys-South-America/dp/0879512636
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweet-Waist-America-Journeys-Guatemala/dp/0091735858
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

Who with?
    Roger Hallam.

He’s very disarming.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

Who with?
    Seems the lady being interviewed just now maintains China did covid deliberately
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,229
    Leon said:

Is she aware of the damaging effects of gendering animals?

https://twitter.com/butnotthecity/status/1408046565395251204

Gendering animals serves to normalise bioessentialist conceptions of gender. When we gender animals, we forget that sex is assigned. We begin to believe that sex is literally ~in~ the body.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

Andy_JS said:

Charles said:

Who with?
    Roger Hallam.

He’s very disarming.
    "Between at least 2017 and early 2019 he was studying for a PhD at King's College London, researching how to achieve social change through civil disobedience and radical movements."

Sounds more autobiographical than independent research.
  • Options
    stodge said:

RobD said:

Like @Philip_Thompson, you look at the numbers and jump to all sorts of conclusions. We've had this argument before - you can't apply a simplistic solution to what is in fact a complex situation.

The way some people live their lives in my part of London means their time to go and get a vaccination is often very limited - the weekend mass vaccination centres were very popular with huge queues - if there was no demand there wouldn't have been. There need to be more of these - I'm absolutely convinced the demand is there especially among younger adults but the way the vaccines are provided needs to be re-focussed.

I fully accept a proportion of the 100,000 unvaccinated adults over 30 in Newham won't be vaccinated but the effort to get as many of them as possible vaccinated has to continue and it makes no sense to "wind down" the vaccination rollout at this time. Even 4,500 per week makes a difference.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the vaccines should no longer be offered after a certain date, I fully expect that they will be available long after the nominal program is over. But I am not jumping to any conclusions. You can see vaccine hesitancy in that borough by looking at the other vaccine campaigns, which are conducted under significantly less time pressure.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Why has Israel been placed on the Green Watchlist?

Because Israel won't allow anyone in

It looks like HMG is being reasonable, reflective, and sensibly relaxed, and yet, in actuality, they are barely relaxing things at all
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I worry about Spain because at the moment the case growth is in the north but from July until the end of August vast numbers will be heading to the coast and campo for the holidays. A large proportion of those under 35-40 will at best only have one jab and many not even that. It's gonna be a close run thing.
  • Options

Alistair said:

maaarsh said:

The Scotland of cricket.

No, incorrect usage.

Oh I regularly use outwith, the joys of having a Scottish boss for so long in my career.
    I have had a Scottish boss for nearly 60 years, my dear lady wife no less
  • Options
    Leon said:

You could add Napoleon to that list, wasn't he a minor aristocrat form Corsica?

The head of the North Korean solidarity association, is from a Spanish aristocratic family, I cant remember which part.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Leon said:

Is she aware of the damaging effects of gendering animals?

https://twitter.com/butnotthecity/status/1408046565395251204

Gendering animals serves to normalise bioessentialist conceptions of gender. When we gender animals, we forget that sex is assigned. We begin to believe that sex is literally ~in~ the body.
    Is that a joke/parody or serious? 😱
  • Options
    Charles said:

algarkirk said:

Charles said:

Half a billion
    Is that the population target or their personal wealth?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Your older what!!!. S/he will never speak to you again if you you such offensive terms as 'd*******'.
This discussion has been closed.