Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Latest voting intention polling following last week’s by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    JohnO said:

I'll give it six months before Mister Bercow realizes that, in fact, his values accord wholly and unswervingly with Liberal Democracy.

I was going to make a similar gag :smile:
  • theProletheProle Posts: 948
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:
    > John Bercow will not be nominated for a peerage by Sir Keir Starmer despite his defection to the Labour Party.

Sources close to Starmer said that the former Speaker of the House of Commons, the first in two centuries not to be given a seat in the Lords upon retirement, would not be made a peer by the present Labour leadership.

The opposition’s snub to Bercow, 58, effectively destroys any chance he once had of fulfilling his well-publicised ambition of joining other past Speakers in the upper chamber.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caa20c90-d38a-11eb-bd02-4c692e62e3fd?shareToken=17a6930ac80496aa423712b038c2575d

SKS is doing the right thing here. I suspect Bercow joined the Labour Party because he felt snubbed, and because he thought he was such a "prize", that it would land him a peerage.

Such a shame that SKS didn't agree.
    You mean the f***wit didn’t do a deal in advance? 😂😂😂
    Someone of Bercow's stature wouldn't stoop to do a deal in advance. Such a thing would be below him.
    I once worked for a short bloke with a particularly bad case of angry short bloke syndrome. It was a rather difficult relationship, because he was attempting to manage something he didn't understand, and I did, so he couldn't afford to lose me for all that he hated me.
    During one particularly heated argument, he said something about "looking down on me". Quick as a flash I replied "you'd need a stepladder for that".

Have you ever seen the top coming off a champagne bottle? The result was this in human form! 🍾🤣🤣🤣
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    rcs1000 said:

JohnO said:

I'll give it six months before Mister Bercow realizes that, in fact, his values accord wholly and unswervingly with Liberal Democracy.

I was going to make a similar gag :smile:
    But with a passion for Ulster remaining in the UK as a fallback.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Moving on: why the EU is not missing Britain that much

Smaller EU member states were impressed by how the EU has stood behind Ireland in the disputes with the UK over the Irish border, which had raised concern about the peace process, he said. “Small member states told us what is happening in Ireland shows us that when one country has an existential issue that that is an existential issue for all.”

Given the British role as leader of the EU’s awkward squad, obtaining opt-outs and raising red flags, some things are easier without the UK. “There are different states of sorrow,” said Riekeles. “We miss the British, but probably less than we thought.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/23/moving-on-why-the-eu-is-not-missing-britain-that-much

Ummm... would the EU have stood behind Ireland if they had been in dispute with Mexico?
    Or France ?

How will that minimum corporate tax squabble end I wonder
    Minimum corporation tax levels are being enforced on Ireland by the UK and the US.

Irony of ironies.
    Not at all.

While we were in the EU it was important for us to defend against the principle of a common tax rate because we could be outvoted by higher tax countries. As an independent actor that doesn’t matter provided the minimum is set at the appropriate level - and it becomes in our interest to undermine a neighbour’s competitive advantage
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Smaller EU member states were impressed by how the EU has stood behind Ireland in the disputes with the UK over the Irish border, which had raised concern about the peace process, he said. “Small member states told us what is happening in Ireland shows us that when one country has an existential issue that that is an existential issue for all.”

Given the British role as leader of the EU’s awkward squad, obtaining opt-outs and raising red flags, some things are easier without the UK. “There are different states of sorrow,” said Riekeles. “We miss the British, but probably less than we thought.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/23/moving-on-why-the-eu-is-not-missing-britain-that-much

LOL and we miss the Europeans less that we thought too, which sort of says the whole Remainer farrago was a waste of time
    LOL and we’ll miss the BritNats less that we thought too, which sort of says the whole Better Together farrago was a waste of time.
    Foxy said:

O/T 5 years ago today we voted to leave. Today I am off to London to spend the day on the lash with some of my fellow campaigners to celebrate the anniversary. If anybody sees a very drunken and dishevelled man trying to get on the last train back to Liverpool from Euston tonight, either please help me on or shove me under it depending on how you voted.

Strong Britain, Great Nation,

Strong Britain, Great Nation...

I noticed on the last thread that you sneered at the British values of tolerance, kindness, pride and respect.

Which of those virtues are not worth celebrating and encouraging?
    rcs1000 said:

Ummm... would the EU have stood behind Ireland if they had been in dispute with Mexico?
    Oh yes, that famous old Chihuahua-Limerick dispute.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:
    > John Bercow will not be nominated for a peerage by Sir Keir Starmer despite his defection to the Labour Party.

Sources close to Starmer said that the former Speaker of the House of Commons, the first in two centuries not to be given a seat in the Lords upon retirement, would not be made a peer by the present Labour leadership.

The opposition’s snub to Bercow, 58, effectively destroys any chance he once had of fulfilling his well-publicised ambition of joining other past Speakers in the upper chamber.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caa20c90-d38a-11eb-bd02-4c692e62e3fd?shareToken=17a6930ac80496aa423712b038c2575d

SKS is doing the right thing here. I suspect Bercow joined the Labour Party because he felt snubbed, and because he thought he was such a "prize", that it would land him a peerage.

Someone of Bercow's stature wouldn't stoop to do a deal in advance. Such a thing would be below him.
    I once worked for a short bloke with a particularly bad case of angry short bloke syndrome. It was a rather difficult relationship, because he was attempting to manage something he didn't understand, and I did, so he couldn't afford to lose me for all that he hated me.
    During one particularly heated argument, he said something about "looking down on me". Quick as a flash I replied "you'd need a stepladder for that".

Have you ever seen the top coming off a champagne bottle? The result was this in human form! 🍾🤣🤣🤣
    I once worked for a short-fused tall bloke but there's no stereotype for that.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

O/T 5 years ago today we voted to leave. Today I am off to London to spend the day on the lash with some of my fellow campaigners to celebrate the anniversary. If anybody sees a very drunken and dishevelled man trying to get on the last train back to Liverpool from Euston tonight, either please help me on or shove me under it depending on how you voted.

I hope that the unfolding clusterfuck is all you thought it would be when you voted to leave. As a fellow leave voter I remain agog as to how the government has fucked it up this badly and appears determined to step up the level of fuck still further.
    Its going better than I expected.

I expected more disruption than we've seen.
    According to our local news in the north east 67% of businesses have either seen no change or improved trade with the EU member nations.

I’m a remainer but it is better than I hoped.
    Personally - although generally optimistic on the opportunities created by Brexit - I would pay exactly zero attention to any economic data until we have seen:

(a) normalisation of inventory levels caused by pre-Brexit stockpiling
    (b) the end of Covid

Those two issues make it next to impossible to really work out the impact of Brexit.
    Interesting piece in the FT on trade balances with the EU. Are our exports down 5% or 27%?

It seems we redefined exports to exclude intercompany supply chains, so car parts exports disappear from the figures, rather than show a drop.

https://twitter.com/ftukpolitics/status/1407292806792626180?s=19
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    In the days (late 80s, early 90s), when John Bercow worked in political consultancy, I was his link with the Big Oil company where I worked in its govt affairs function. We used to meet regularly and I enjoyed those occasions. He was still in his markedly right wing phase and was the PPC against (then) "Red Dawn" Primarolo in Bristol.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Bercow should have been given a peerage by default for services to the House. That the government chose not to bother demonstrates their continuing contempt for the House and basic due process.

Speakers pop up in the other place and intone their experience of parliament and due democratic process. That Bercow is not going to be able to do so demonstrates shame on Johnson's government which literally nobody cares about.

So of course serkeir isn't nominating him. It's not for him to do so. Perhaps PM Sunak will do so as part of his efforts to rehabilitate the Conservative Party.

Well it’s a view.
    I would have given Bercow a peerage, despite the fact that he's pond scum. And worse, pond scum who tried to suppress investigations into bullying in his office.

There is nothing admirable about Bercow.

But the Speaker of the House should not be pirouetting to ensure approval of the Government of the day to secure a peerage. A tradition, once broken, is hard to reinvent. From now on, the danger is that this is another power grabbed by the Executive, and the role of Speaker ends up politicised.
    Agreed. The regular morning's hate session on here isn't exactly edifying, either.
    I agree it would be nice if all the headers and moaners below could layoff on the Bozo bashing a smidgen. :)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Or France ?

Minimum corporation tax levels are being enforced on Ireland by the UK and the US.

Irony of ironies.
    Not at all.

While we were in the EU it was important for us to defend against the principle of a common tax rate because we could be outvoted by higher tax countries. As an independent actor that doesn’t matter provided the minimum is set at the appropriate level - and it becomes in our interest to undermine a neighbour’s competitive advantage
    Oh, I agree that we're acting correctly and in our best interest.

Furthermore, it is a perfectly moral way to behave.

It is, however, inappropriate to sneer at others for something that is little different to something you endorse.

Deltapoll is likely an outlier, and there's something unusual going on with their methodology anyway: their SNP number is implausibly (and consistently) low, in a fashion that none of the other pollsters match.

The Lib Dems have been flatlining at around 8% for almost the whole of the last decade (Jo Swinson managed to earn them about an extra 3pts at the 2019 GE with the hardline Remain message, for all the good that it did her; that extra support quickly fell off again.) Some kind of revival might be on the cards in the wake of the by-election win; you can make arguments either way, but it's too early to tell.

Deltapoll’s Scottish numbers are bonkers. Miles off all the other pollsters, and real-world election results:

Con 32%
    Lab 24%
    SNP 21%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 5%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 3%
    oth 4%

Why?
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Bercow should have been given a peerage by default for services to the House. That the government chose not to bother demonstrates their continuing contempt for the House and basic due process.

Speakers pop up in the other place and intone their experience of parliament and due democratic process. That Bercow is not going to be able to do so demonstrates shame on Johnson's government which literally nobody cares about.

So of course serkeir isn't nominating him. It's not for him to do so. Perhaps PM Sunak will do so as part of his efforts to rehabilitate the Conservative Party.

Well it’s a view.
    I would have given Bercow a peerage, despite the fact that he's pond scum. And worse, pond scum who tried to suppress investigations into bullying in his office.

But the Speaker of the House should not be pirouetting to ensure approval of the Government of the day to secure a peerage. A tradition, once broken, is hard to reinvent. From now on, the danger is that this is another power grabbed by the Executive, and the role of Speaker ends up politicised.
    It was already politicised when Labour voted to appoint Martin after Boothriyd & then whipped to appoint Bercow.

The last 4 speakers (since Wetherill? I was just a kid!) have been members of the Labour Party.
    Weatherill - '83-'92 - Con
    Boothroyd - '92-'00 - Lab
    Martin - '00-'09 - Lab
    Bercow - '09-'19 - Con (ish)
    Hoyle - '19- - Lab

The Speakership election is written up by Wikipedia here, and while it is hardly an unimpeachable source, it doesn't mention whipping.
    It’s a bit difficult to find an article that long ago but this gives a flavour for the dynamic. This was not a “Con” candidate.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2009/jun/23/john-bercow-tories-alan-duncan
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Basil Fawlty?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    edited June 2021

Burcow may be first in line for a Peerage on Richard Burgon's list.

Anybody backing Quagmire or any other cismale for next Labour leader is surely chucking their money away.

It must be one of RAK, Jess Rodham Philips or the Stockport Cher. I think RAK is enough of a gobshite to discomfort Johnson.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,758
    Nigelb said:
    Too late for the Olympics though. I am just astonished that they are persisting with them. It has proven problematic with the relatively small number of professional footballers in the Euros but thousands of mainly amateur participants? Its just crazy.
    Gove rules out ‘foolish’ Scottish independence vote before election

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/23/gove-rules-out-scottish-independence-vote-before-election

More proof that Gove is a fifth columnist. Quite ingenious.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,007

I hope that the unfolding clusterfuck is all you thought it would be when you voted to leave. As a fellow leave voter I remain agog as to how the government has fucked it up this badly and appears determined to step up the level of fuck still further.
    Its going better than I expected.

I expected more disruption than we've seen.
    Thats coming once we stop asking for grace periods to implement changes that won't actually work. In the food industry we all know what is out there, and it won't be pretty. What we have now is daft enough, but next month if we have to start enacting what we insisted on having....
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,493
    Perhaps more importantly, the argument that Brexit has been relatively painless might not resonate with leave voters for long. Focus groups we conducted with “comfortable leavers” underlined this group’s high expectations. Many expected the departure from the EU to be a “change trigger” that prompted government to address issues ranging from infrastructure, health and police to rejuvenating British manufacturing. And such aspirations were not limited to this particular group of leaver: Deborah Mattinson refers, in her book on the so-called red wall, to the “giddy optimism” of many leave voters about the post-Brexit landscape.

Five years on, then, and it is still not clear that the government can – or even knows how to – deliver to those voters who backed Brexit. And the competing visions of those who did so make this task more difficult still.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2021/jun/22/leavers-hopes-brexit-referendum-eu
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited June 2021
    Jonathan said:

Well quite, Johnson appears petty.
    Yes it was a petty decision, and one which I said at the time might well be regretted in time and so probably not worth doing. Not for political impact, I dont think the public would care, but how it might affect the Speaker role.

But it was not an actual requirement, and Bercow can hardly whinge at people using his own arguments on conventions against him, given he wanted and wants to be politically involved. He played the game and has now been played.

I suspect like former PMs ex Speakers will not now get peerages as a matter of course, the convention lapsed, and that may impact how Speakers act, or convention (loosely applied anyway) of main parties contesting their seats.

In short, yes it was a petty decision, but that doesn't transform it into a violation of due process. Some conventions fall away in time, sometimes for good reason sometimes not, and even if the latter hyperbole treating it like a moral outrage when its merely a political one, doesnt help.
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

I noticed on the last thread that you sneered at the British values of tolerance, kindness, pride and respect.

The virtue of not dictating to primary school children to sing a right wing thinktank's version of a song supposedly to celebrate the nation which pretends that Northern Ireland isn't a thing.

Charles - are you providing succour to this nonsense out of remaining party loyalty, or do you really want us to go American and have a pledge of allegiance every morning in schools?

As Lieutenant Tawny Madison said in Galaxy Quest: Well Fuck That.
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Or France ?

Irony of ironies.
    Not at all.

Oh, I agree that we're acting correctly and in our best interest.

Furthermore, it is a perfectly moral way to behave.

It is, however, inappropriate to sneer at others for something that is little different to something you endorse.
    I don’t think there is any sneering going on?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    OT Euro2020 Betfair prices, in order, and their implied chances of winning (not normalised).

1 France 5.4 18.5%
    2 Italy 7.4 13.5%
    3 Germany 7.8 12.8%
    4 Belgium 9 11.1%
    5 Spain 9.8 10.2%
    6 England 10 10.0%
    7 Netherlands 12.5 8.0%
    8 Portugal 13 7.7%
    9 Denmark 26 3.8%
    10 Croatia 46 2.2%
    Everyone else (including Wales) is at 100 or more.

Fwiw I've backed France but do not agree with suggestions that England should be laid. A ten per cent chance of winning looks about right to me, with no juice on the back or lay side. Of course, we shall not know who England will play in the next round until after tonight's matches.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    I rather suspect that the extra 2m+ were towards the lower levels of the socioeconomic scale.

With a week to go until the deadline for EU nationals living in the UK to apply for settled status, it is clear that far more EU citizens have been living in the country than previous estimates suggested.

As of 31 May, the government had received 5.6 million applications for the post-Brexit scheme that allows EU nationals to continue living and working in the UK after the end of this month.

That is far higher than the official estimate when the scheme was fully opened in March 2019 that there were 3.7 million (non-Irish) EU nationals in the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56846637
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    Nigelb said:
    Still gonna be a while at that rate, because there's 125 million people x2 doses, and hardly any vaccinating at weekends.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,758

Perhaps more importantly, the argument that Brexit has been relatively painless might not resonate with leave voters for long. Focus groups we conducted with “comfortable leavers” underlined this group’s high expectations. Many expected the departure from the EU to be a “change trigger” that prompted government to address issues ranging from infrastructure, health and police to rejuvenating British manufacturing. And such aspirations were not limited to this particular group of leaver: Deborah Mattinson refers, in her book on the so-called red wall, to the “giddy optimism” of many leave voters about the post-Brexit landscape.

Five years on, then, and it is still not clear that the government can – or even knows how to – deliver to those voters who backed Brexit. And the competing visions of those who did so make this task more difficult still.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2021/jun/22/leavers-hopes-brexit-referendum-eu

Just as well the economy is going to start growing at 7% then, eh? I am sure the Guardian will be relieved.
    Nigelb said:
    “We’re saturated with excrement. And not just ourselves but our neighbours too”

😁
    I wonder if the Scotland team are now regretting lying about their covid risk levels.

If they'd been honest they would have had an excuse for losing again.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

Nigelb said:
    Still gonna be a while at that rate, because there's 125 million people x2 doses, and hardly any vaccinating at weekends.
    Lack of diasporas aside from Chinese and Korean should help Japan out with delta.

Charles said:

Foxy said:

The virtue of not dictating to primary school children to sing a right wing thinktank's version of a song supposedly to celebrate the nation which pretends that Northern Ireland isn't a thing.

Charles - are you providing succour to this nonsense out of remaining party loyalty, or do you really want us to go American and have a pledge of allegiance every morning in schools?

I’m commenting on @Foxy ’s sneering attitude.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

LOL and we miss the Europeans less that we thought too, which sort of says the whole Remainer farrago was a waste of time
    LOL and we’ll miss the BritNats less that we thought too, which sort of says the whole Better Together farrago was a waste of time.
    except of course youre not the majority so wont be going anywhere
    They enjoy acting like children (and expecting everyone to treat the people as children) too much to do that.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    DavidL said:

Just as well the economy is going to start growing at 7% then, eh? I am sure the Guardian will be relieved.
    Is that 7% over last year or over where we were before the foolish action in 2020
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Well it’s a view.

It was already politicised when Labour voted to appoint Martin after Boothriyd & then whipped to appoint Bercow.

The last 4 speakers (since Wetherill? I was just a kid!) have been members of the Labour Party.
    Weatherill - '83-'92 - Con
    Boothroyd - '92-'00 - Lab
    Martin - '00-'09 - Lab
    Bercow - '09-'19 - Con (ish)
    Hoyle - '19- - Lab

The Speakership election is written up by Wikipedia here, and while it is hardly an unimpeachable source, it doesn't mention whipping.
    It’s a bit difficult to find an article that long ago but this gives a flavour for the dynamic. This was not a “Con” candidate.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2009/jun/23/john-bercow-tories-alan-duncan
    Boothroyd was the office - a Speaker, not a self promoter.
    Martin was toady
    Bercow was.... Bercow
    Hoyle seems to be more like Boothroyd.

The issue was that Bercow decided that he was going to take part in the politics in the House. If you are a Remainer, this might seem to be a glorious thing, but it involved tearing up a bit of the mos maiorum. Once you start doing that..... Well, it reminds me of Pompey complaining about other people breaking the rules....
    MPs are the last people you want to be Speakers. The Speaker is supposed to be impartial while they clearly aren't. Also his constituents are basically disenfranchised for a decade. I've long thought that a retired civil servant or judge would do better.

I'm actually surprised it's worked as well as it has for as long.
    In the first opinion poll since the historic vote of No Confidence in prime minister Stefan Löfven, the Swedish Left Party (renamed Communists) reach their highest numbers in 19 years.

In contrast, the Liberal vote has totally collapsed. There is no way they are going to reach the 4% threshold now.

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,743
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Pieties about others’ sneering after calling someone a fuckwit certainly exemplifies that fine, old British value of hypocrisy.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,722

OT Euro2020 Betfair prices, in order, and their implied chances of winning (not normalised).

1 France 5.4 18.5%
    2 Italy 7.4 13.5%
    3 Germany 7.8 12.8%
    4 Belgium 9 11.1%
    5 Spain 9.8 10.2%
    6 England 10 10.0%
    7 Netherlands 12.5 8.0%
    8 Portugal 13 7.7%
    9 Denmark 26 3.8%
    10 Croatia 46 2.2%

Fwiw I've backed France but do not agree with suggestions that England should be laid. A ten per cent chance of winning looks about right to me, with no juice on the back or lay side. Of course, we shall not know who England will play in the next round until after tonight's matches.

If anything perhaps England are a back, solely because they started the tournament a 6.2 shot I think? Qualifying as group winners without conceding a goal shouldn’t warrant that kind of drift. I suppose performances haven’t been impressive, but I don’t think they could have been expected to be on form. We are functional rather than flashy

I do suspect that our vaccine prioritisation programme was not the most optimal one overall, given hindsight.

The prioritisation of the most vulnerable first was certainly correct, and we're reaping the benefit in the lower death and hospitalisation rates. But I wonder if, when Groups 1-9 were one-jabbed, it might have been a better route to then invert Phase 2.

That is: while second-jabbing Groups 1-9, start first-jabbing the rest from Age 18-21 up, rather than down towards Age 18-21.

After all, arguably the more social interactions happen with younger adults.
    It would have meant my age group came last, which would have been annoying personally, but it might have been the more optimal balance between "reducing deaths" (start with the old and more vulnerable) and "reducing spread" (start with the young and more sociable).

Still, it certainly did a bloody good job of reducing the overall death toll and hospitalisation rate, so I'm probably just being picky about looking at the "good" and wondering about a "best"

From 18 upwards would have best protected the schools.

From 49 downwards would have best protected the hospitals.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Nigelb said:
    Yeah was going to say that rate really needs to be doubled given how far behind Japan is. It would take until the end of October to be functionally finished at this rate.

1 France 5.4 18.5%
    2 Italy 7.4 13.5%
    3 Germany 7.8 12.8%
    4 Belgium 9 11.1%
    5 Spain 9.8 10.2%
    6 England 10 10.0%
    7 Netherlands 12.5 8.0%
    8 Portugal 13 7.7%
    9 Denmark 26 3.8%
    10 Croatia 46 2.2%

The value there is Belgium.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557

I can't remember who it was on here who was confidently pronouncing that Covid could be cured by Ivermectin but they had obviously seen the results of this gold standard trial... that is about to start:

Covid: Ivermectin to be studied as possible treatment in UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57570377

Good thread on ivermectin here:
    https://twitter.com/awgaffney/status/1407431518675472387
    Notable that one of the leading physician advocates for using ivermectin for COVID-19, Paul Marik, was once also convinced that he had cured sepsis with a combination of vitamins and steroids — a finding not replicated once a randomized trial was actually performed...

A large scale RCT is a very good thing, and should settle the matter one way or the other.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:
    Lack of diasporas aside from Chinese and Korean should help Japan out with delta.
    Also social distancing is natural to them. (Can EiT confirm?).
    Illustrated by Peter Ustinov's anecdote about a visit to Japan and Australia.

Making his way with luggage through Tokyo airport, which was full of people, the crowd magically gave way providing a clear path through. Then on to a small airport in Australia where there was only one other person, who bumped into him.

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

A lot of us are sneering at this "Great Britain, Strong Nation" for school kids nonsense! It is a step towards this
    https://youtu.be/SDuHXTG3uyY?t=9

I wonder if the Scotland team are now regretting lying about their covid risk levels.

Yes Jim, we feel the love.

I rather suspect that the extra 2m+ were towards the lower levels of the socioeconomic scale.

With a week to go until the deadline for EU nationals living in the UK to apply for settled status, it is clear that far more EU citizens have been living in the country than previous estimates suggested.

As of 31 May, the government had received 5.6 million applications for the post-Brexit scheme that allows EU nationals to continue living and working in the UK after the end of this month.

That is far higher than the official estimate when the scheme was fully opened in March 2019 that there were 3.7 million (non-Irish) EU nationals in the country.

Noooo? Get out of town????

How many did Labour predict when they opened the floodgates? 10-15,000 a year wasn’t it?

• theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Always Basil Fawlty

If you are so sure you are in the majority then why are you feart of a referendum?

Ally McCoist was absolutely right - Croatia played them off the park, but the Scotland team has a lot more promise than he has seen in ages. They'll look to push on to qualification for the world cup.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:
    Too late for the Olympics though. I am just astonished that they are persisting with them. It has proven problematic with the relatively small number of professional footballers in the Euros but thousands of mainly amateur participants? Its just crazy.
    About three quarters of Japan agrees with you.
    Won't change anything, though.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:
    I think Pfizer have donated around 200k jabs to the IOC. Let's see how many actually get into the arms of athletes though.

theProle said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

Always Basil Fawlty
    To today's youth about as topical a reference as the Canterbury Tales.
    Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

A lot of us are sneering at this "Great Britain, Strong Nation" for school kids nonsense! It is a step towards this
    Yes I thought that too. Whose idea is it?! i find it quite sinister

Mind you, my son will be going to school in 3 years or so and has blond hair and blue eyes, just like our milkman, so he might get the gig
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

By bringing your own sneering attitude. This song being rammed down the throats of primary age children is not part of any British values. Other than the one of not knowing what our country is as it misses off NI.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    If we are noting the EU anniversary then surely pride of place in our collective memories should go to @Andy_JS who showed, as recently as C&A last week, that he hasn't lost it.
    I do recall a lot of upset about some schoolchildren supposedly singing about independent scotland. However benign an intention behind a song supporting the union at the very least to be consistent it could not be used in that context, and that limits who might sing such a thing.

Just rename America, F*ck Yeah instead, save energy.
    Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Indeed.

The parallels are striking.
    Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

This version surely https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ohhib
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394

If you are so sure you are in the majority then why are you feart of a referendum?
    Well, the Brexit referendum, of course. You can have unexpected results, as we know. The point is, surely, that the country is bitterly divided and independence is definitely not "the settled will" which, really, it ought to be if you are going to rip up a 300 yr old union.

BTW - the stuff about the EU defending its smaller members. Didn't work out for Greece too well, as I recall. Countries which have debt problems have austerity forced on them by the EU big boys, like it or not.
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

A quintessential part of being British is to denigrate oneself.

It is manifestly not to shout and get arsey about how marvelous your own values are.
    I think using the word quintessential is a quintessential part of being British, since it seems most commonly used in that context :)
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Great Britain, of course, does not include Northern Ireland. Are we to resd some message into that?

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Indeed.

No wonder Charles supports the idea.
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

A quintessential part of being British is to denigrate oneself.

It is manifestly not to shout and get arsey about how marvelous your own values are.
    I think using the word quintessential is a quintessential part of being British, since it seems most commonly used in that context :)
    LOL absolutely.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Everyone commenting about the song does realise it was written by kids from Bradford right ?

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Indeed.

The brains behind it all

“ Kash Singh is the Chief Executive and Founder of One Britain One Nation (OBON). As Chair and founder of the British Indian Association, he was responsible for bringing together thousands of people from diverse backgrounds.

In his professional capacity he was a senior police officer in the rank of Inspector with the West Yorkshire Police. In over two decades of police service, he has gained much experience in working with people from all backgrounds.”

https://www.onebritainonenation.com/ceo-founder
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited June 2021
    Even the hardened Tories I follow on Twitter are nauseated by this “Strong Nation” crud.

It’s pathetic; what Brexit has wrought!
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

That is brilliant. I've never seen that version. Saved.
    You pretty much get the flavour of this OBON goonery when you see that the parliamentary group promoting its interests include Andrea Jenkyns and Andrew Rosindell.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    Good morning

Burley is having a tantrum on Sky over the VIP UEFA officials being allowed into the Country for the Euro final at Wembley, when UK citizens cannot go abroad

Sky interviewed labour's John Healey who fell into the narrative by saying this is typical behaviour by this government of favouring their friends as Dominic Cummings affirms, but then Sky singularly failed to ask the question of him, labour and indeed Burley herself, that are they willing to hand the prestigious finals to Bucharest, as that is the consequence of banning these officials

This is another example of poor journalism and seeking another 'gotcha'
    Pulpstar said:

Everyone commenting about the song does realise it was written by kids from Bradford right ?

And the brainchild of a British Indian policeman! It makes it less sinister for sure, I thought it was Boris’s idea and that was scary. Apparently schools in Bradford have been singing it for years.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:
    About three quarters of Japan agrees with you.
    Won't change anything, though.
    I think it'll be OK TBH, they're supposed to be vaccinated by the time they arrive and there will be a lot of attention on them. If they had like zero cases of Delta in Japan then I'd say keep that thing out at all costs but it's already here, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555

Great Britain, of course, does not include Northern Ireland. Are we to resd some message into that?

Let's hope so.
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

My favourite Spitting Image I’d had been deleted from YouTube - John Majors Acid Day Out. If anyone can find a link I’d be grateful

Exactly what I was thinking. They’re preparing the ground for a Border Poll… in which HMG will declare itself neutral.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Interesting replies:

Five years ago today the U.K. voted to leave the EU.

But what does politics look like in the parallel universe where we voted Remain?

Who is PM? Chancellor? Leader of the opposition? What’s the big row we’re having?

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1407593921564323842?s=20

Answers on a postcard.....
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Oh it is news as the rules have recently tightened - any farms looking to extend / diversify now need to check for the current slurry situation across a 5 mile radius and if the total new output exceeds a set figure refusal is automatic.

Good morning

Burley is having a tantrum on Sky over the VIP UEFA officials being allowed into the Country for the Euro final at Wembley, when UK citizens cannot go abroad

Sky interviewed labour's John Healey who fell into the narrative by saying this is typical behaviour by this government of favouring their friends as Dominic Cummings affirms, but then Sky singularly failed to ask the question of him, labour and indeed Burley herself, that are they willing to hand the prestigious finals to Bucharest, as that is the consequence of banning these officials

Get yourself over to GB News quick. If you tarry you may miss Brillo's massive and inevitable myocardial infarction live on air.

Good morning

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062199/

edited June 2021
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

And the brainchild of a British Indian policeman! It makes it less sinister for sure, I thought it was Boris’s idea and that was scary. Apparently schools in Bradford have been singing it for years.
    It’s certainly more Spode than Mosley.
    Better to be laughed than feared, though the laughed at rarely agree.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    isam said:

Noooo? Get out of town????

How many did Labour predict when they opened the floodgates? 10-15,000 a year wasn’t it?

How many German girls married British servicemen 1946-60, came over here and 'never bothered' about nationality.
    Dura_Ace said:

Good morning

Get yourself over to GB News quick. If you tarry you may miss Brillo's massive and inevitable myocardial infarction live on air.
    I would expect GBNews to have a balanced argument and as a matter of interest do you not see the point
    Sounds like Scotland too:

Perhaps inevitably, the losers are most unwilling to bury the hatchet. When asked to score their feelings towards the other side out of 100 – with 100 the “warmest” feeling, and 0 the “coldest” – Remainers rate their feelings towards Leavers at 29 out of 100, while Leavers give Remain voters a much “warmer” rating of 42 out of 100. There are four times more Remain supporters who say it’s hard to be friends with people who voted Leave in the EU referendum than Leave voters who say the same about Remain voters (29 per cent versus seven per cent) – and these negative feelings about the other side haven’t declined, even as the news agenda moves on. It will continue to be an issue that represents different British mind sets, and divides society.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/eu-referendum-five-years-brexit-leave-remain-symbolise-who-we-are-1064829?ito=twitter_share_article-top
    TOPPING said:

Good morning

I do not see the connection or am I missing it
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Quite apart from the ridiculousness of the whole thing, it really is a crap song, even more unsingable than The Star Spangled Banner. Anodyne sentiments without a trace of British humour, apart from those taking the mickey out of it. Perhaps it is a spoof.

Null points from me...
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

My favourite Spitting Image I’d had been deleted from YouTube - John Majors Acid Day Out. If anyone can find a link I’d be grateful
    Try Daily Motion: they have tons of astonishing archive footage. I spent several happy hours reacquainting myself with the Goodies and Young Ones last year. And indispensable for cycling fans who want to see the last 10km of races not included in their subscriptions.

Google “dailymotion spitting image” then Videos and they appear to have pretty much the entire back catalogue.
    The man behind “Great Nation”.

“Mr Singh told Times Radio: “We started the concept in Bradford and West Yorkshire, and it’s been very, very successful indeed, so what we want to look at is taking it across the nation.

“It was something that was born from my dream as a police officer, in terms of what I’d see, in terms of my passion, pride and frustration, and something that I feel needed to be done in this country.

“This country is a brilliant country. I came to this country as a six-year-old kid who couldn’t speak a word of English. My parents were labourers, they worked in a factory and foundry, and there are fantastic people in this country.“

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/government-backs-one-britain-one-073918206.html
    edited June 2021

Sounds like Scotland too:

Perhaps inevitably, the losers are most unwilling to bury the hatchet. When asked to score their feelings towards the other side out of 100 – with 100 the “warmest” feeling, and 0 the “coldest” – Remainers rate their feelings towards Leavers at 29 out of 100, while Leavers give Remain voters a much “warmer” rating of 42 out of 100. There are four times more Remain supporters who say it’s hard to be friends with people who voted Leave in the EU referendum than Leave voters who say the same about Remain voters (29 per cent versus seven per cent) – and these negative feelings about the other side haven’t declined, even as the news agenda moves on. It will continue to be an issue that represents different British mind sets, and divides society.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/eu-referendum-five-years-brexit-leave-remain-symbolise-who-we-are-1064829?ito=twitter_share_article-top

The best answer is like myself who voted remain but accept the vote and have no hatchet issues other than some at the extremes like @Scott_xP who need to move on
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    My brother: “I reckon Kane’s got Covid”, my Dad: “He’s too slow slow to catch Covid” 😂
    https://twitter.com/melt77/status/1407425518488764419
    isam said:

“Mr Singh told Times Radio: “We started the concept in Bradford and West Yorkshire, and it’s been very, very successful indeed, so what we want to look at is taking it across the nation.

“It was something that was born from my dream as a police officer, in terms of what I’d see, in terms of my passion, pride and frustration, and something that I feel needed to be done in this country.

“This country is a brilliant country. I came to this country as a six-year-old kid who couldn’t speak a word of English. My parents were labourers, they worked in a factory and foundry, and there are fantastic people in this country.“

Yeah, but I don't think that excuses the excreble song!

TOPPING said:

Good morning

I do not see the connection or am I missing it
    If, as the empirical evidence suggests, you find watching Sky News annoying T is helpfully pointing out that it's possible to configure your television so that YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IT.
    isam said:

I think there's quite a lot of polling evidence of ethnic minority communities having stronger senses of "Britishness" than of being "English" or "Scottish" - perhaps seeing those as ethnic identities?
    Scott_xP said:

My brother: “I reckon Kane’s got Covid”, my Dad: “He’s too slow slow to catch Covid” 😂
    https://twitter.com/melt77/status/1407425518488764419

That is very good
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728

some at the extremes like @Scott_xP who need to move on

You are more obsessed with me than I am with the vote.

Get a life
This discussion has been closed.