Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

With three days to go the best Chesham and Amersham bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

From the times now
    Covid in Scotland: “Variant likely to delay lockdown exit by 10 weeks.”
    That takes us to the end of summer and we know Johnson follows Sturgeon

That means no end to restrictions until next Spring at the earliest as we are then into winter flu season and further likely mutations
    We need to starting chucking Molotov cocktails quite soon

And I don't think I am joking. Perhaps only civil strife will make the government see sense. The people have always had to fight for their freedom
    People are happy to vote for this government whatever it does. They're hardly likely to riot against it.
    Well, they are losing people like me

I am double vaccinated, and the last jab was more than 2 weeks ago. Either the vaccines work or they don't, either we can leave jail or we can't. Give me a vaccine passport and let me get on with my life, travelling where I want, ditching the masks, flashing the passport so I can have a near-normal life

Why should I tolerate any more lockdown on my liberties, just because some people are too stupid to get injected? Why should I watch businesses in Camden, London, the UK, go under because - again - some people are just dim?

Let the stupid pay with THEIR freedom. If they won't get vaxxed then make sure they can't do anything, by bringing in vaccine passports.

I am going to ignore the rules as much as I can from now on, anyway. I'm not going to wear a mask, if I can help it, I will travel abroad to amber countries and I won't quarantine on returning. I will lie
    Lol. Just wait until they switch the facial recognition cameras etc on to Mask avoiders and to enforce quarantine.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

This is an Alien versus Predator by-election for me.

Boris chokingon lifting lockdown means he deserves to lose C&A.

As far as I can tell the Lib Dems are campaigning on NIMBYism and not liberalism against lockdown, so they deserve to lose C&A.

So why can't they both lose? I don't want 'my own team' to win this week, nor do I want the Lib Dems too. If I was a C&A voter I think I'd spoil my ballot paper.

The right approach. The answer to your rage against the Tories isn't to vote Tory. Withhold your vote. Vote for someone else. Whatever - just don't reward the liar.
    I will not be voting Tory again for as long as lockdown lasts.

OTOH I doubt I'll be voting again until long after it ends so its rather moot.

If I got polled I don't know how I could respond. If there were an election tomorrow I'd spoil my ballot, but is that a polling option?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,780
    darkage said:

Have the woke had any luck at cancelling GB News? Have any of the advertisers caved?

Does anyone care ?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Pulpstar said:

The increase in the rate of cases has now fallen five days in succession IIRC.

Probably just noise...

Friday -> Monday (Reported) tends to drop or remain flat even when cases are rising. Monday -> Friday is a better test of whether cases are actually rising or not.
    It's a week-on-week figure though... is that what you are saying? That Monday through Sunday shows better numbers than, say, Saturday through Friday...?
    Todays England case numbers compared to last Monday, are up 35.29%
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I have cashed out my c&a 5 bet for a 1.06 profit. High roller or what?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

This is the simplest way to rebel. My finger is poised over delete

"Once you delete the NHS test and trace app, you won’t ever be told to isolate by it again. It’s that simple.

#LifeHacks 😉"

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stratford_/status/1404104158064615424?s=20

Lolz. Just delete it! Many of us never installed it in the first place. No more masks for me either. Especially not in this weather. I’m exempt you see.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Pretty punchy for the Speaker to accuse the government of misleading him and the House https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1404448260174057479

Boris is at a Nato meeting in Brussels with Joe Biden and later today has to announce his decision to the public

Is the speaker expecting Boris to miss the Nato meeting
    Probably, yes. Johnson should just do it from Parliament, rather than a press conference.
    Quite right.

Parliament should be prioritised before press conferences.
    To be fair the government have form here. What will be entertaining is that they got shut of Bercow and expected to get an easier ride. Hoyle is less opinionated on the issues but not so on parliamentary practice.
    Hoyle is has the procedure right, but refuses to exercise any form of censure.

Still waiting for the PM to apologise to the House for his various mendacities.
    Hoyle is furious on Sky just now but he makes threats to call in Boris but I have no idea what sanctions he has got
    Neither do I, but the Speaker needs to defend Parliament and Boris is a habitual offender.
    I do agree

However, in the wider world, and especially the red wall seats, I expect they could not care less, they just want to hear the PM live on tv
    And so another brick in the wall of our democratic system crumbles.

This brick has been loose for some time, but nevertheless...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,295

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Pretty punchy for the Speaker to accuse the government of misleading him and the House https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1404448260174057479

Boris is at a Nato meeting in Brussels with Joe Biden and later today has to announce his decision to the public

Probably, yes. Johnson should just do it from Parliament, rather than a press conference.
    Quite right.

To be fair the government have form here. What will be entertaining is that they got shut of Bercow and expected to get an easier ride. Hoyle is less opinionated on the issues but not so on parliamentary practice.

Hoyle is furious on Sky just now but he makes threats to call in Boris but I have no idea what sanctions he has got
    Neither do I, but the Speaker needs to defend Parliament and Boris is a habitual offender.
    I do agree

However, in the wider world, and especially the red wall seats, I expect they could not care less, they just want to hear the PM live on tv
    Absolutely. Parliament is full of enemies of democracy. Time that we do away with it so that we can have government by proclamation. As long as we get to see the PM on the telly making a statement and not having to answer any questions, thats democracy isn't it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117

As far as I can tell the Lib Dems are campaigning on NIMBYism and not liberalism against lockdown, so they deserve to lose C&A.

So why can't they both lose? I don't want 'my own team' to win this week, nor do I want the Lib Dems too. If I was a C&A voter I think I'd spoil my ballot paper.

The right approach. The answer to your rage against the Tories isn't to vote Tory. Withhold your vote. Vote for someone else. Whatever - just don't reward the liar.

If I got polled I don't know how I could respond. If there were an election tomorrow I'd spoil my ballot, but is that a polling option?
    You are counted as would not vote
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,116
    BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise...

Friday -> Monday (Reported) tends to drop or remain flat even when cases are rising. Monday -> Friday is a better test of whether cases are actually rising or not.
    It's a week-on-week figure though... is that what you are saying? That Monday through Sunday shows better numbers than, say, Saturday through Friday...?
    Indeed, they are increasing – we know that – but the week-on-week rise has fallen now five days in succession...

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Lord Buckethead looks a more attractive prospect with each passing day.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If the LDs do win Chesham and Amersham on Thursday, or get close they will have two things to thank.

First, rising Nimbyism in the Home Counties in opposition to new greenbelt development leading to a LD protest vote.

Second, Boris cancelling Freedom Day today leading to some Tory libertarians and hospitality business owners and workers voting ReformUK as a protest

Who
    Farage's new party (now led by Richard Tice) who are standing in the by election on an end Covid restrictions ticket
    https://twitter.com/Alex4CandA/status/1404345100763795459?s=20
    https://twitter.com/reformparty_uk/status/1402584385665355778?s=20
    Has beens
    About to be revived by Boris tonight unfortunately
    In your dreams
    ReformUK could be on 5-10% in the polls by next weekend
    Feel free to concede defeat on your position of a year ago that India would be virtually untouched by covid because of its longevity deficit.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,355

Scott_xP said:

Er, couldn’t Hancock announce to Parliament this afternoon rather than this evening?
    An announcement of this importance has to be Boris

I understand Hancock is announcing it in the HOC later
    So important enough for Boris to make but not important enough for Parliament to hear first.
    If he had not had to be at Nato Brussels with Joe Biden I have no doubt he would be at the HOC right now
    If he can be in Downing Street by 6pm, why couldn’t he be in Parliament by 6pm?
    I do not have his diary to be fair

And the meeting in Brussels has just concluded apparently
    One can perhaps understand why he doesn’t want to face tough questioning in Parliament, after a busy few days, and prefers gentler questions from the press that he can choose to disregard, but it doesn’t look good.
    I doubt the populace care about procedures and Boris is hardly new to doing this

The thing is the Speaker is furious, but as far as I can tell is impotent in doing anything

And of course it infuriates Boris opponents
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    edited June 2021
    ping said:

Just watching GB news for the first time

The lack of HD is unforgivable.

Their remote feed audio quality is poor, too

Surprisingly low budget. I’m amazed they haven’t got the basics right.

I saw about 2 minutes of it this pm. It was de Piero I think, ex MP. I thought she was on Times News. Very boring. The website is crap. The News tab and "GB Views" tab seems to show the same articles! So much for reporting the news and not opinion in place of news.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    darkage said:

Have the woke had any luck at cancelling GB News? Have any of the advertisers caved?

The reality is that GB News won't be able to sell much in the way of advertising until they have established viewing patterns.

The lack of HD, btw, is utterly incomprehensible. It basically means that GB News won't be streamed in office lobbies.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    71% of English voters back the PM delaying lockdown tonight by 4 weeks, 24% opposed.

However opposition rises to 28% amongst Tory voters and 29% amongst Leave voters and 34% amongst 18 to 24 year olds

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1404461708517777412?s=20
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Scott_xP said:

No - but there's no reason Hancock could not have announced it to the house before the press conference:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1404458127089704962?s=20
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,431
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

This is the simplest way to rebel. My finger is poised over delete

"Once you delete the NHS test and trace app, you won’t ever be told to isolate by it again. It’s that simple.

#LifeHacks 😉"

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stratford_/status/1404104158064615424?s=20

Lolz. Just delete it! Many of us never installed it in the first place. No more masks for me either. Especially not in this weather. I’m exempt you see.
    I will probably delete it, tho the pubs round here do check - sometimes - to make sure you've logged in. There might be a workaround where I put the phone on Airplane mode as I scan
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

No - but there's no reason Hancock could not have announced it to the house before the press conference:

He can hardly do that to be honest
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Er, couldn’t Hancock announce to Parliament this afternoon rather than this evening?

So important enough for Boris to make but not important enough for Parliament to hear first.
    If he had not had to be at Nato Brussels with Joe Biden I have no doubt he would be at the HOC right now

One can perhaps understand why he doesn’t want to face tough questioning in Parliament, after a busy few days, and prefers gentler questions from the press that he can choose to disregard, but it doesn’t look good.
    I doubt the populace care about procedures and Boris is hardly new to doing this

The thing is the Speaker is furious, but as far as I can tell is impotent in doing anything

It is not “procedure” for the sake of it.

The concept is simple, the PM is accountable to Parliament, and Parliament is entitled to some form of scrutiny.

Otherwise you (as a voter) are handing over the job of representing you to Robert Peston and Laura K.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite right.

I do agree

Absolutely. Parliament is full of enemies of democracy. Time that we do away with it so that we can have government by proclamation. As long as we get to see the PM on the telly making a statement and not having to answer any questions, thats democracy isn't it?
    But this is the real world of today it seems

Someday normality will return but not sure when
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite right.

As we saw with the unlawful overseas aid cut - which really ought to have been subject to a vote in the Commons - the Speaker is quite prepared to sound off, and do nothing of consequence.
    I doubt it bothers Johnson very much.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,560
    I am shocked that once again you are out of touch.

SHOCKED!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,280
    Nigelb said:

darkage said:

Does anyone care ?
    A few blue ticks on Twitter and some outfit called stop funding hate who assembled a hardy band of volunteers to log all advertisers on GB News.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Scott_xP said:

Why not?

Utterly inexcusable.

The fact that an embargoed copy of decisions taken is already with the media before Parliament has been told is not acceptable.

Our constituents expect MPs to have the chance to ask questions on their behalf on these critical issues.

https://twitter.com/Mark_J_Harper/status/1404463181540564993?s=20
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Why not?
    Upstage the PM - not really
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,560
    I reckon this is just people not wanting to go to weddings in general, especially in the summer.

YouGov: By 56% to 29% the English public say the current limit of 30 guests at weddings is fair, ahead of Boris Johnson's announcement today

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1404463445802684420
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

71% of English voters back the PM delaying lockdown tonight by 4 weeks, 24% opposed.

However opposition rises to 28% amongst Tory voters and 29% amongst Leave voters and 34% amongst 18 to 24 year olds

Those are amazing figures and shows how frightened the populace have become

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Trigger alert - it is Laura

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1404456196405403657

Australia media reporting agreement in principle of trade deal with UK will be announced tmrw - not a v well kept secret...
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I am shocked that once again you are out of touch.

SHOCKED!
    stocked and shunned, says Mrs Spooner....
    :smiley:
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If the LDs do win Chesham and Amersham on Thursday, or get close they will have two things to thank.

First, rising Nimbyism in the Home Counties in opposition to new greenbelt development leading to a LD protest vote.

Second, Boris cancelling Freedom Day today leading to some Tory libertarians and hospitality business owners and workers voting ReformUK as a protest

Who
    Farage's new party (now led by Richard Tice) who are standing in the by election on an end Covid restrictions ticket
    Has beens
    In your dreams
    Feel free to concede defeat on your position of a year ago that India would be virtually untouched by covid because of its longevity deficit.
    I had forgotten that.

As I noted upthread, one Indian state has had an excess mortality rate per million greater than the UK Covid death rate, in the space of two months.
    With a population average age 23.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,538

Scott_xP said:

The concept is simple, the PM is accountable to Parliament, and Parliament is entitled to some form of scrutiny.

Otherwise you (as a voter) are handing over the job of representing you to Robert Peston and Laura K.
    Or worse than that... Kay Burley...
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    People saw the pictures from India a month ago, this is called the Indian variant, it was bound to be a popular policy
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite right.

As we saw with the unlawful overseas aid cut - which really ought to have been subject to a vote in the Commons - the Speaker is quite prepared to sound off, and do nothing of consequence.
    I believe the Speaker can “name” the PM and have him suspended from the House for a few days.

Presume Raab becomes the acting PM in Parliament.

I doubt this has been done to a sitting PM, but there’s a first time for everything.
  • Options
    I know plenty of older people who have been vaxxed but are wary of a full reopening as it would increase their chances of running into people like you who have chosen not to get vaccinated. Wake up. It’s your f****** fault as much as anyone’s. Unless you have been vaccinated, in my book you lose any right whatsoever to criticise the government for keeping restrictions. And I say this as someone who is sitting here livid with what the government is doing and has written (again) to my MP imploring him to vote against the government.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

The reality is that GB News won't be able to sell much in the way of advertising until they have established viewing patterns.

The lack of HD, btw, is utterly incomprehensible. It basically means that GB News won't be streamed in office lobbies.
    I don't really watch the news on tv, it is too depressing. A doctor once actually advised me to stop wayching the news and reading the paper! Living on the outskirts of London, I particularly make sureI don't watch the regional news anymore, as it's always about some inner city crime in a place that seems a million miles away that I want nothing to do with. Such a contrast to hen I drop my son off at his Grandparent who actually live in Essex, and their local news is about the trade in some market in East Anglia picking up

Anyway, comparing GB News to what I do watch, it seems really shoddy. I actually have that girl on at the moments phone number. She was Farage's lackey I think.

Why no HD? Schoolboy error, it look so amateurish
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I actually agree but Boris is unique in this regard and so far the voter backs him
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It is a self imposed impotence.
    And it matters if you believe in parliamentary democracy.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Why not?
    Upstage the PM - not really
    The PM is upstaging Parliament.

If the PM's schedule means he can't come to the HoC first - understandable today - he could at least have the common courtesy to send a Minister.
  • Options
    So I've worked out how to game the NHS app without deleting it - because some venues DO make sure you have used the NHS app, and scanned in properly

You just toggle off the contract tracing element, under Settings

If you do that you can still check in to a venue, but you can't be bossed around

"The venue check-in feature works independently of the contact tracing feature. If you get a venue alert it will not tell you to self-isolate."

https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01312/en-us
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    moonshine said:

I know plenty of older people who have been vaxxed but are wary of a full reopening as it would increase their chances of running into people like you who have chosen not to get vaccinated. Wake up. It’s your f****** fault as much as anyone’s. Unless you have been vaccinated, in my book you lose any right whatsoever to criticise the government for keeping restrictions. And I say this as someone who is sitting here livid with what the government is doing and has written (again) to my MP imploring him to vote against the government.
    Try writing that again remembering that in England that most people under 30 haven't had a chance of being vaccinated yet..
  • Options

BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Probably just noise...

Indeed, they are increasing – we know that – but the week-on-week rise has fallen now five days in succession...

Just sayin'.
    The Week on week increases reported last week, where inflated by the inures in testing, after the school half term low, and will have been more cases the week before that where not spotted as the testing did not happen.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite right.

I believe the Speaker can “name” the PM and have him suspended from the House for a few days.

I doubt this has been done to a sitting PM, but there’s a first time for everything.

He would still be PM. In the olden days, the PM used to be in the HoL, so doesn't need to sit in the commons anyway.
  • Options

I reckon this is just people not wanting to go to weddings in general, especially in the summer.

YouGov: By 56% to 29% the English public say the current limit of 30 guests at weddings is fair, ahead of Boris Johnson's announcement today

Some people really are miserable sods.

I doubt they would feel similar if it was a close friend or family member's wedding.

People like rules that don't affect them personally.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

From where I'm sitting, the cases figures look rather encouraging.

We've had six consecutive days of reported cases in the six-thousands now (for England), and the lagged cases-by-specimen-date seem to be matching those.
    It's still (probably) growing, but considerably slower than we'd have projected.

The North West is looking more and more like it may have already levelled off.

Hospital admissions still climbing: seven day average for England up until the 12th of June is now up nearly 50% week on week - but this is against the case growth of a week prior, of course, so that could be the fastest growth we'll see.

The 7-day average of admissions is still only 143 (with a maximum so far of 162). Number in hospital in England still under 1000 as of this morning; we'll go past that soon, but maybe not by too much. It's very plausible that we won't go past 2,000, or even 1,500.

(Edit: And if cases are falling by early July, it makes opening up far easier in July, even if hospitalisations have only just flattened off by then)

The figures show that the vaccines work
  • Options

We've had six consecutive days of reported cases in the six-thousands now (for England), and the lagged cases-by-specimen-date seem to be matching those.
    It's still (probably) growing, but considerably slower than we'd have projected.

Hospital admissions still climbing: seven day average for England up until the 12th of June is now up nearly 50% week on week - but this is against the case growth of a week prior, of course, so that could be the fastest growth we'll see.

The 7-day average of admissions is still only 143 (with a maximum so far of 162). Number in hospital in England still under 1000 as of this morning; we'll go past that soon, but maybe not by too much. It's very plausible that we won't go past 2,000, or even 1,500.

(Edit: And if cases are falling by early July, it makes opening up far easier in July, even if hospitalisations have only just flattened off by then)

Indeed Andy, thanks for the analysis – you do it so much better than me. I had spotted that the w-o-w rise has been falling for five days now. Which I wondered whether was noise, but as each day passes it becomes less likely to be.
  • Options
    Leon said:

So I've worked out how to game the NHS app without deleting it - because some venues DO make sure you have used the NHS app, and scanned in properly

If you do that you can still check in to a venue, but you can't be bossed around

"The venue check-in feature works independently of the contact tracing feature. If you get a venue alert it will not tell you to self-isolate."

I’ve not been anywhere that doesn’t allow you to verbally provide a name and number and most places in these parts don’t even ask for that. If anyone insisted I download an app, I’d walk out.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    Leon said:

Yes, turn off contact tracing if you don't fancy self isolation.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    HYUFD said:

Jo public got more sense than Twitter and PB combined shocker! :smiley:
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,295

Scott_xP said:

Parliament has the power to sanction...
  • Options
    If Boris HAS to delay he should make it a four week delay but with a review after two. And if the stats are good, reopen earlier
  • Options

I doubt they would feel similar if it was a close friend or family member's wedding.

Turns out, most of the population.
    I believe @MaxPB has noted this before.

Britain is a country of ageing curtain-twitchers, who glory in the misery of others.

If you want to understand the U.K., read the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Who
    Has beens
    In your dreams
    Absolutely not, Indian death rate per million from Covid now 269, below the 490.2 global average Covid deaths per million and well below the 1,875 Covid deaths per million we have had in the UK.

Yes India has had a lot of cases and is second overall in terms of total cases now but its younger average population still means it has had a significantly lower death rate than the global average, exactly as I predicted
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    Lots of Lib Dem poster boards up in C&A.

I did spot 1 Green poster and 1 Conservative.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes it does matter but as long as Boris is PM do not expect convention

He has a track record of this and I do not know how anyone changes him
  • Options
    Leon said:

If Boris HAS to delay he should make it a four week delay but with a review after two. And if the stats are good, reopen earlier

That would seem a reasonable compromise
  • Options

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite right.

He would still be PM. In the olden days, the PM used to be in the HoL, so doesn't need to sit in the commons anyway.
    Yes, I mean for PMs questions etc.
  • Options
    eek said:

moonshine said:

Try writing that again remembering that in England that most people under 30 haven't had a chance of being vaccinated yet..
    What’s that got to do with anything? If everyone over 40 took responsibility and got vaxxed, we’d pretty much have no hospitalisations at all.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    moonshine said:

They can ensure the risk is zero by staying in their homes, social distancing and wearing masks or ensuring they only meet people outside their bubble in the open air. That's their choice.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    edited June 2021
    Wales and Ukraine in the sweepstake D:

Someone got France and Spain, another person England and Germany :
  • Options

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite right.

He doesn't have to do anything like that - he could, for example, have allowed a substantive vote for the overseas aid rebels.
    I realise he's reluctant to 'do a Bercow', but Johnson has no such inhibitions, and his behaviour requires a substantive response.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What makes you think that power mad twerps like Gove, the Dept of Health and SAGE have any interest in letting him do that?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite right.

He doesn't have to do anything like that - he could, for example, have allowed a substantive vote for the overseas aid rebels.
    I realise he's reluctant to 'do a Bercow', but Johnson has no such inhibitions, and his behaviour requires a substantive response.
    Bercow’s issue was the made the Speaker-hood political. That should be resisted.

No, the Speaker should use the procedural tools open to him.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Why not?

Utterly inexcusable.

The fact that an embargoed copy of decisions taken is already with the media before Parliament has been told is not acceptable.

Our constituents expect MPs to have the chance to ask questions on their behalf on these critical issues.

Call me a cynical Cyrus, but I can't help wondering if the possibility of MPs asking questions is why Boris doing the press conference but not the Commons statement.

Still, if Mark Harper doesn't like the actions of his party leader, he has a quick and direct route to do something about that.
  • Options

If there was a market, I would put money on cases peeking, on or before 21 June, that is by specimen date and using the mid point of a 7 day average.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Britain is a country of ageing curtain-twitchers, who glory in the misery of others.

Indeed I have and it's very true. It makes me want to leave the country.
  • Options
    Just for info at least 2 local pubs have had outbreaks in last few days

I have been at one of them but not contacted by track and trace .That one was closed for at least 24 hours but reopen after a clean and new staff shipped in (it's part of a chain)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,301
    Per ratings posted on Digital Spy, GB News significantly outrated BBC News Channel and Sky News last night - it was very close to having as many viewers as BBC News Channel and Sky News combined.

Only the first night of course - so no real guide to the long term - but still a promising start.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Scott_xP said:

Why not?

Utterly inexcusable.

Call me a cynical Cyrus, but I can't help wondering if the possibility of MPs asking questions is why Boris doing the press conference but not the Commons statement.

Still, if Mark Harper doesn't like the actions of his party leader, he has a quick and direct route to do something about that.
    You are a cynical Cyrus, and a doubting Darius besides.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365

Lots of Lib Dem poster boards up in C&A.

I did spot 1 Green poster and 1 Conservative.

Poster boards are so last year. The battle is on Facebook and by post and (bar chart) leaflets ...
  • Options

Its a nation of ageing curtain twitchers ON COMFORTABLE TRIPLE LOCKED RETIREMENT BENEFITS.

F8ck with that and watch them turn. Watch the government run out of money, get swamped by inflation, and see how much they worry about COVID then.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    ping said:

Just watching GB news for the first time

The lack of HD is unforgivable.

Their remote feed audio quality is poor, too

Surprisingly low budget. I’m amazed they haven’t got the basics right.

I like that they keep the headlines scrolling along the bottom and the time showing while the ads are on.
  • Options

moonshine said:

They can ensure the risk is zero by staying in their homes, social distancing and wearing masks or ensuring they only meet people outside their bubble in the open air. That's their choice.
    Well I’ll tell you what I’d do instead. Id have the army pin you down at gunpoint with a needle. And if necessary inject you with AZN into your eyeball. Because while there’s a big body of unvaccinated people out there who are vulnerable to hospitalisation from covid, normal service will not resume in the healthcare sector. If you don’t like it, you’ve got a month to find somewhere else to call home.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

I don't really watch the news on tv, it is too depressing. A doctor once actually advised me to stop wayching the news and reading the paper! Living on the outskirts of London, I particularly make sureI don't watch the regional news anymore, as it's always about some inner city crime in a place that seems a million miles away that I want nothing to do with. Such a contrast to hen I drop my son off at his Grandparent who actually live in Essex, and their local news is about the trade in some market in East Anglia picking up

Anyway, comparing GB News to what I do watch, it seems really shoddy. I actually have that girl on at the moments phone number. She was Farage's lackey I think.

No HD is pretty poor planning.

The production values are poor too.

Someone here said it was like the focus was on air not behind the scenes. I think that’s spot on.
  • Options
    citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90

moonshine said:

I dont think older people with no skin in the game should have a say on whether we reopen or not
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Another devastating set of Covid numbers today. I’m not sure the Crematoria are going to cope
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Parliament has the power to sanction...
    Yes but what sanction that will not add more points to Boris's popularity
  • Options
    GB News is rather like Brexit, isn’t it.

Much anticipated by some, but turns out to be a bunch of malfunctioning hooey.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes it does matter but as long as Boris is PM do not expect convention

He has a track record of this and I do not know how anyone changes him
    Puppy Training 101

If Boris has done something undesirable, Boris needs a sanction.
    If Boris doesn't get it, Boris's behaviour will just get worse.

I wonder if JRM's nanny is available for a secondment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I believe that is on the cards.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021

moonshine said:

I dont think older people with no skin in the game should have a say on whether we reopen or not
    I’m not sure I follow.

Even those with, as you put it, “skin in the game” in aggregate, favour continued lockdown.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Indeed I have and it's very true. It makes me want to leave the country.
    Nothing’s stopping you.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

Its a nation of ageing curtain twitchers ON COMFORTABLE TRIPLE LOCKED RETIREMENT BENEFITS.

F8ck with that and watch them turn. Watch the government run out of money, get swamped by inflation, and see how much they worry about COVID then.
    Triple lock means that inflation won't hurt them.

• Options
    citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90

People saw the pictures from India a month ago, this is called the Indian variant, it was bound to be a popular policy
    Ive realised this last year how many miserable sods live in this country
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    Taz said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

No HD is pretty poor planning.

The production values are poor too.

Someone here said it was like the focus was on air not behind the scenes. I think that’s spot on.
    Reading my post again, that's got to go down as one of the most poorly written in PB history
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Well I’ll tell you what I’d do instead. Id have the army pin you down at gunpoint with a needle. And if necessary inject you with AZN into your eyeball. Because while there’s a big body of unvaccinated people out there who are vulnerable to hospitalisation from covid, normal service will not resume in the healthcare sector. If you don’t like it, you’ve got a month to find somewhere else to call home.
    FFS Moonshine many other governments are unlocking with much lower levels of vaccination. Its almost like NOT being vaccinated is more a guarantee of freedom that being vaccinated.

It is our government that is devaluing your vaccination currency, not me.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If Boris 'has to delay' it should be for 48 or 72 hours, to allow an extra weeks worth of data to be analysed, This time next week there will be 2 full weeks of data without the 'half term' effect confusing things, and it may all seem to be not as bad as it looks now.

This would also allow weekend things to go on as planed for the week end of the 26/27 June, and for the furlough scheme to start to be tapered off at the start of July.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Just popping back to the by election. The Lib Dems seem more confident in their weekend literature than I have seen in 20 years. Could this be a landslide or will the postal vote get the Cons home.
    A landslide would be something like 4 -7000 majority!
  • Options
    It is time to consider removing the vote from the over 60s.

Followed by compulsory purchase of their five bedroom (but empty) homes in the suburbs.

Remove the Stannah stairlifts and you’ve got room for a half dozen poverty stricken millennials.

The oldies have been at the trough for too long.
  • Options
    Lindsay Hoyle is right. MPs are elected to HoC and should be first to scrutinise and question Govt, not media.

Same applies to MSPs elected to Holyrood. Will the Presiding Officer rebuke Sturgeon in the same regard?

ScotGov needs to stop hiding from Holyrood.

https://twitter.com/Jackson_Carlaw/status/1404455952120750082?s=20
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Quite right.

I feel confident that my entire life people have complained about things being told to the press before Parliament. It's still worth complaining about, but everyone involved knows it is part of the game now and their fury, however righteous, is part of that game.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    I don't know about the "all but conceded" - I've only today had another request from Labour to help with Chesham telephone knock-up on the day. Obviously Labour won't win, but it's pretty unlikely that the LibDems will either, so the argument will be to vote according to your actual preference. No doubt exactly the reverse will happen in Batley and Spen. I wish both parties would stop it and cooperate, but they really don't.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021

Followed by compulsory purchase of their five bedroom (but empty) homes in the suburbs.

Remove the Stannah stairlifts and you’ve got room for a half dozen poverty stricken millennials.

Your post comes across as rather nasty.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

If Boris 'has to delay' it should be for 48 or 72 hours, to allow an extra weeks worth of data to be analysed, This time next week there will be 2 full weeks of data without the 'half term' effect confusing things, and it may all seem to be not as bad as it looks now.

This would also allow weekend things to go on as planed for the week end of the 26/27 June, and for the furlough scheme to start to be tapered off at the start of July.
    I thought about that. It won't happen yet you might be proved right.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    "Police don't know the law":

Extraordinary - @metpoliceuk account tweeting that "gatherings of more than 30 people are illegal" when there is a specific exception for protests

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1404467573714980869?s=20

Also they tweet "illegal under the guidelines"

If they're "guidelines" they aren't "law" - so they can't be "illegal".....
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,727
    Back to the seasonality question. It's been warm and sunny, and people have been out and about in the fresh air. Might that account for some of the levelling off in case rises recently?

If so then the biblical deluge we're all about to be subjected to from Thursday onwards, for several days at least, isn't good news. Maxima of 13-14C on Friday and mid teens at the weekend under leaden skies and torrential downpours. Los of friends and family crowding indoors.
  • Options

If you wanted to do one thing to improve the age divide in this country, I think it would be reform of planning for bungalows. No restrictions on building them more or less wherever you want. But a total and immediate nationwide ban on putting in an upstairs conversion under any circumstance. You could help things by loosening the rules over single story annexes too.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    ·
    24s
    Westminster Voting Intention (13 June):

Conservative 44% (+1)
    Labour 34% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (+2)
    Scottish National Party 4% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)