Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

With three days to go the best Chesham and Amersham bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,583

GB News is rather like Brexit, isn’t it.

Much anticipated by some, but turns out to be a bunch of malfunctioning hooey.

And for much the same reason. Something that looks superficially simple turns out to be much harder than you think, because of all the behind-the-scenes stuff that is difficult and expensive to make work.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

I know plenty of older people who have been vaxxed but are wary of a full reopening as it would increase their chances of running into people like you who have chosen not to get vaccinated. Wake up. It’s your f****** fault as much as anyone’s. Unless you have been vaccinated, in my book you lose any right whatsoever to criticise the government for keeping restrictions. And I say this as someone who is sitting here livid with what the government is doing and has written (again) to my MP imploring him to vote against the government.

They can ensure the risk is zero by staying in their homes, social distancing and wearing masks or ensuring they only meet people outside their bubble in the open air. That's their choice.
    Well I’ll tell you what I’d do instead. Id have the army pin you down at gunpoint with a needle. And if necessary inject you with AZN into your eyeball. Because while there’s a big body of unvaccinated people out there who are vulnerable to hospitalisation from covid, normal service will not resume in the healthcare sector. If you don’t like it, you’ve got a month to find somewhere else to call home.
    FFS Moonshine many other governments are unlocking with much lower levels of vaccination. Its almost like NOT being vaccinated is more a guarantee of freedom that being vaccinated.

It is our government that is devaluing your vaccination currency, not me.
    It’s almost as if other countries are not linking reopening to vaccines because they know they’ll never reach the vaccination levels to justify it. Whereas because apparently we have enormous vaccine enthusiasm our Govt has aspirations of universal coverage and thinks it can therefore justify delaying things to reach this goal. Even though for the later cohorts it is in reality almost irrelevant.

It will also be interesting to know if enthusiasm amongst the young may reduce if the realise that getting the vaccine will not lead to personal freedom. Everyone has to suffer equally regardless of vaccine status.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830
    isam said:

Taz said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

Have the woke had any luck at cancelling GB News? Have any of the advertisers caved?

The reality is that GB News won't be able to sell much in the way of advertising until they have established viewing patterns.

The lack of HD, btw, is utterly incomprehensible. It basically means that GB News won't be streamed in office lobbies.
    I don't really watch the news on tv, it is too depressing. A doctor once actually advised me to stop wayching the news and reading the paper! Living on the outskirts of London, I particularly make sureI don't watch the regional news anymore, as it's always about some inner city crime in a place that seems a million miles away that I want nothing to do with. Such a contrast to hen I drop my son off at his Grandparent who actually live in Essex, and their local news is about the trade in some market in East Anglia picking up

Anyway, comparing GB News to what I do watch, it seems really shoddy. I actually have that girl on at the moments phone number. She was Farage's lackey I think.

Why no HD? Schoolboy error, it look so amateurish
    No HD is pretty poor planning.

The production values are poor too.

Someone here said it was like the focus was on air not behind the scenes. I think that’s spot on.
    Reading my post again, that's got to go down as one of the most poorly written in PB history
    That's quite some claim.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,556

This is an Alien versus Predator by-election for me.

Boris chokingon lifting lockdown means he deserves to lose C&A.

As far as I can tell the Lib Dems are campaigning on NIMBYism and not liberalism against lockdown, so they deserve to lose C&A.

So why can't they both lose? I don't want 'my own team' to win this week, nor do I want the Lib Dems too. If I was a C&A voter I think I'd spoil my ballot paper.

Question is whether you'd bother to turn out in the forecast rain in order to spoil your ballot.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    ping said:

It is time to consider removing the vote from the over 60s.

Followed by compulsory purchase of their five bedroom (but empty) homes in the suburbs.

Remove the Stannah stairlifts and you’ve got room for a half dozen poverty stricken millennials.

The oldies have been at the trough for too long.

I agree with your sentiment, but your post comes across as rather nasty.
    Not nasty at all.

My plan involves herding them into seaside camps on the Lincolnshire Coast with free access to 24-hour Gloria Hunniford related media, and all-you-can-eat orthopaedic shoes.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited June 2021
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

I know plenty of older people who have been vaxxed but are wary of a full reopening as it would increase their chances of running into people like you who have chosen not to get vaccinated. Wake up. It’s your f****** fault as much as anyone’s. Unless you have been vaccinated, in my book you lose any right whatsoever to criticise the government for keeping restrictions. And I say this as someone who is sitting here livid with what the government is doing and has written (again) to my MP imploring him to vote against the government.

They can ensure the risk is zero by staying in their homes, social distancing and wearing masks or ensuring they only meet people outside their bubble in the open air. That's their choice.
    Well I’ll tell you what I’d do instead. Id have the army pin you down at gunpoint with a needle. And if necessary inject you with AZN into your eyeball. Because while there’s a big body of unvaccinated people out there who are vulnerable to hospitalisation from covid, normal service will not resume in the healthcare sector. If you don’t like it, you’ve got a month to find somewhere else to call home.
    LOL given that the average age of the army is <30 you will have to get them to start on themselves.

I'm sure you are up to the task, given your charisma, power of persuasion and leadership skills.

Or if the army refuses you can presumably enlist the legions of little green men to do the same thing.
  • Options
    citycentrecitycentre Posts: 90
    ping said:

moonshine said:

I dont think older people with no skin in the game should have a say on whether we reopen or not
    I’m not sure I follow.

Even those with, as you put it, “skin in the game” in aggregate, favour continued lockdown.
    hmm i bet those who run busineeses dont. Sure i agree many of the wfh types are in a similar position
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,819
    It's so depressing that the PM can simply ignore parliamentary procedure and remain untouchable. If he puts his mind to it he could really do some serious damage to the institution while he remains popular in the polls. Blair was similarly unbothered by checks and balances during his pomp, but there was at least the suggestion of outrage in the popular media and on the BBC. That sense of outrage seems to have dissipated.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2021

I reckon this is just people not wanting to go to weddings in general, especially in the summer.

YouGov: By 56% to 29% the English public say the current limit of 30 guests at weddings is fair, ahead of Boris Johnson's announcement today

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1404463445802684420

Footie is on....

Ahhhh so sorry I can't come to your wedding, that Boris is a right bastard isn't he....what me, no not doing anything....nom nom nom nom....yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....what a goal....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,603

"Police don't know the law":

Extraordinary - @metpoliceuk account tweeting that "gatherings of more than 30 people are illegal" when there is a specific exception for protests

https://twitter.com/AdamWagner1/status/1404467573714980869?s=20

Also they tweet "illegal under the guidelines"

If they're "guidelines" they aren't "law" - so they can't be "illegal".....

The Rozzers don't know the law and try and bully the public with arrest?

I am even more shocked than when it turned out Contrarian isn't in touch with the public when it comes to Covid-19
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

I don't know about the "all but conceded" - I've only today had another request from Labour to help with Chesham telephone knock-up on the day. Obviously Labour won't win, but it's pretty unlikely that the LibDems will either, so the argument will be to vote according to your actual preference. No doubt exactly the reverse will happen in Batley and Spen. I wish both parties would stop it and cooperate, but they really don't.

Yes, I'd vote LD on Thursday if I had a vote. I believe in tactical voting. But I also think it's fine to take the other view - don't get clever clever, just vote for the party or candidate you like the best.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,393

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

FFS Moonshine many other governments are unlocking with much lower levels of vaccination. Its almost like NOT being vaccinated is more a guarantee of freedom that being vaccinated.

The BMA said this morning no other Country in Europe was unlocking or near to

So who are these many other governments unlocking
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

And turns out to be more popular than the media elite thinks?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Francis complains almost every day when we only give half a million vaccines to people. Despite this being an order or magnitude better than even the “best” days contribution from acquired immunity during the pandemic. You are completely off your rocker with your campaign against vaccines. Without them we really would be facing rolling on and off restrictions pretty much indefinitely. If only we could get the refuseniks to take them, there would be no excuse left for the power mongers in Whitehall and Downing Street to keep hold of what they’ve taken. But you are too far down the hole to admit this.
  • Options

ping said:

Just watching GB news for the first time

The lack of HD is unforgivable.

Their remote feed audio quality is poor, too

Surprisingly low budget. I’m amazed they haven’t got the basics right.

I saw about 2 minutes of it this pm. It was de Piero I think, ex MP. I thought she was on Times News. Very boring. The website is crap. The News tab and "GB Views" tab seems to show the same articles! So much for reporting the news and not opinion in place of news.
    GB News is shovelling clips onto Youtube, which will doubtless help their reach.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    TimS said:

It's so depressing that the PM can simply ignore parliamentary procedure and remain untouchable. If he puts his mind to it he could really do some serious damage to the institution while he remains popular in the polls. Blair was similarly unbothered by checks and balances during his pomp, but there was at least the suggestion of outrage in the popular media and on the BBC. That sense of outrage seems to have dissipated.

Maybe because the 'outrage' is more faux than a Ratner solid gold ring!
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    ping said:

Followed by compulsory purchase of their five bedroom (but empty) homes in the suburbs.

Remove the Stannah stairlifts and you’ve got room for a half dozen poverty stricken millennials.

Your post comes across as rather nasty.
    Many feel they have paid their national insurance for 40 years, and so they are owed everything they get.

Our 97-year old neighbour said as much to the wife and I the other day.
  • Options

Maybe put that to the oldies grandchildren and see their response
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    theakes said:

Just popping back to the by election. The Lib Dems seem more confident in their weekend literature than I have seen in 20 years. Could this be a landslide or will the postal vote get the Cons home.
    A landslide would be something like 4 -7000 majority!

what do you mean by 'more confidant in their weekend Literature'

As in they know they have delivered a lot?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,474
    Boris. What a twat.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Lots of Lib Dem poster boards up in C&A.

I did spot 1 Green poster and 1 Conservative.

As a thought, I'm not sure that a 4 week delay necessarily hurts the Tories in C&A - plenty of people living in big houses with lots of space and it's not a hotbed of freedom-loving Brexiteers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Pretty punchy for the Speaker to accuse the government of misleading him and the House https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1404448260174057479

Boris is at a Nato meeting in Brussels with Joe Biden and later today has to announce his decision to the public

Is the speaker expecting Boris to miss the Nato meeting
    Probably, yes. Johnson should just do it from Parliament, rather than a press conference.
    Quite right.

Parliament should be prioritised before press conferences.
    I feel confident that my entire life people have complained about things being told to the press before Parliament. It's still worth complaining about, but everyone involved knows it is part of the game now and their fury, however righteous, is part of that game.
    While this is true, it’s worth pursuing.
    It would necessarily put parliamentarians on their mettle as well.
  • Options

I reckon this is just people not wanting to go to weddings in general, especially in the summer.

YouGov: By 56% to 29% the English public say the current limit of 30 guests at weddings is fair, ahead of Boris Johnson's announcement today

Footie is on....

Ahhhh so sorry I can't come to your wedding, that Boris is a right bastard isn't he....what me, no not doing anything....nom nom nom nom....yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....what a goal....
    My friend scheduled her wedding in 2018 than turned out to be the same time as the England v. Sweden quarter final.

I know I wasn't the only one who used his phone to look like he was taking pictures whilst actually watching the match on the iplayer.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Nicky Campbell swaps BBC Radio 5 Live Breakfast for new phone-in show

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57472944

I presume everybody will be taking a paycut given they are all doing less work and need another body to fill in the gap.
  • Options

Maybe put that to the oldies grandchildren and see their response
    I think the grandchildren would certainly be keen.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

There is loosening going on in Spain but most activities are still limited and the mask mandate is in full force. There is also great concern about Delta - already community transmission in Madrid and the country is just starting to vaccinate the 40+. At 67 I'm around 7 weeks away from my second AZN. I think the myth of 'free Europe' is just that.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,358
    MaxPB said:

Some people really are miserable sods.

I doubt they would feel similar if it was a close friend or family member's wedding.

People like rules that don't affect them personally.
    Turns out, most of the population.
    I believe @MaxPB has noted this before.

Britain is a country of ageing curtain-twitchers, who glory in the misery of others.

If you want to understand the U.K., read the Daily Mail.
    Indeed I have and it's very true. It makes me want to leave the country.
    Do it! I have a pretty negative view of what England has become, so I left. Now they can do what they like and I'm safe from their madness north of the wall. Much less worrisome when its Someone Else's Problem.
  • Options

ping said:

I agree with your sentiment, but your post comes across as rather nasty.
    Not nasty at all.

My plan involves herding them into seaside camps on the Lincolnshire Coast with free access to 24-hour Gloria Hunniford related media, and all-you-can-eat orthopaedic shoes.
    That is either a poor joke or just plain nasty
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

The same logic would argue that if you run around firing a pistol, we can exercise our free choice to stay at home so you don't hit us. We can, but it doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,376

ping said:

Your post comes across as rather nasty.
    Many feel they have paid their national insurance for 40 years, and so they are owed everything they get.

Our 97-year old neighbour said as much to the wife and I the other day.
    I paid N I and lots of it for 49 yrs...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,358

Lindsay Hoyle is right. MPs are elected to HoC and should be first to scrutinise and question Govt, not media.

Same applies to MSPs elected to Holyrood. Will the Presiding Officer rebuke Sturgeon in the same regard?

ScotGov needs to stop hiding from Holyrood.

https://twitter.com/Jackson_Carlaw/status/1404455952120750082?s=20

Fabulous whataboutery. Why did they ditch him as leader again...?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

And for much the same reason. Something that looks superficially simple turns out to be much harder than you think, because of all the behind-the-scenes stuff that is difficult and expensive to make work.
    The big difference here is that no one who didn't like the sound of to begin with it has been led by their own preconceptions
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    felix said:

Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    ·
    24s
    Westminster Voting Intention (13 June):

Conservative 44% (+1)
    Labour 34% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (+2)
    Scottish National Party 4% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 7 June

Follow @redfieldwilton
    to see our VI first

Paging Big John .....
  • Options
    felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    24s

Conservative 44% (+1)
    Labour 34% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 7 June

Follow @redfieldwilton
    to see our VI first

Starmer's Piers Morgan bounce fading....
  • Options
    felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    24s

Conservative 44% (+1)
    Labour 34% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 7 June

Follow @redfieldwilton
    to see our VI first

Good news for Sir Keir - it will make the fightback look even better!
  • Options
    TimS said:

That sense of outrage (during Blair) was to some extent fake, as it was pushed by the right-leaning press.

Now it is Boris doing it, the right-leaning press don’t care.

Most people barely understand and care less how Parliament works or doesn’t work. Although that’s not (despite Big G) and argument in favour of its subversion.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/netherlands-coronavirus-lockdown-ends-june-5/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited June 2021
    MrEd said:

Lots of Lib Dem poster boards up in C&A.

I did spot 1 Green poster and 1 Conservative.

As a thought, I'm not sure that a 4 week delay necessarily hurts the Tories in C&A - plenty of people living in big houses with lots of space and it's not a hotbed of freedom-loving Brexiteers.
    It will hurt them with those who work in pubs, restaurants, clubs and the wedding industry there, including brides and grooms to be
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Sadly Big G has been hoodwinked by misleading information on GB News.
  • Options
    isam said:

Taz said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

Have the woke had any luck at cancelling GB News? Have any of the advertisers caved?

The reality is that GB News won't be able to sell much in the way of advertising until they have established viewing patterns.

The lack of HD, btw, is utterly incomprehensible. It basically means that GB News won't be streamed in office lobbies.
    I don't really watch the news on tv, it is too depressing. A doctor once actually advised me to stop wayching the news and reading the paper! Living on the outskirts of London, I particularly make sureI don't watch the regional news anymore, as it's always about some inner city crime in a place that seems a million miles away that I want nothing to do with. Such a contrast to hen I drop my son off at his Grandparent who actually live in Essex, and their local news is about the trade in some market in East Anglia picking up

Anyway, comparing GB News to what I do watch, it seems really shoddy. I actually have that girl on at the moments phone number. She was Farage's lackey I think.

Why no HD? Schoolboy error, it look so amateurish
    No HD is pretty poor planning.

The production values are poor too.

Someone here said it was like the focus was on air not behind the scenes. I think that’s spot on.
    Reading my post again, that's got to go down as one of the most poorly written in PB history
    One of your best, I thought. Seriously.

I was just about to go "+1" but I see you now disowning it - so I won't.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,143
    TimS said:

Back to the seasonality question. It's been warm and sunny, and people have been out and about in the fresh air. Might that account for some of the levelling off in case rises recently?

If so then the biblical deluge we're all about to be subjected to from Thursday onwards, for several days at least, isn't good news. Maxima of 13-14C on Friday and mid teens at the weekend under leaden skies and torrential downpours. Los of friends and family crowding indoors.

Maxima of 14c where? Scotland? The London forecast is for 20c on Saturday.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If the LDs do win Chesham and Amersham on Thursday, or get close they will have two things to thank.

First, rising Nimbyism in the Home Counties in opposition to new greenbelt development leading to a LD protest vote.

Second, Boris cancelling Freedom Day today leading to some Tory libertarians and hospitality business owners and workers voting ReformUK as a protest

Who
    Farage's new party (now led by Richard Tice) who are standing in the by election on an end Covid restrictions ticket
    https://twitter.com/Alex4CandA/status/1404345100763795459?s=20
    https://twitter.com/reformparty_uk/status/1402584385665355778?s=20
    Has beens
    About to be revived by Boris tonight unfortunately
    In your dreams
    ReformUK could be on 5-10% in the polls by next weekend
    Feel free to concede defeat on your position of a year ago that India would be virtually untouched by covid because of its longevity deficit.
    Absolutely not, Indian death rate per million from Covid now 269, below the 490.2 global average Covid deaths per million and well below the 1,875 Covid deaths per million we have had in the UK.

Yes India has had a lot of cases and is second overall in terms of total cases now but its younger average population still means it has had a significantly lower death rate than the global average, exactly as I predicted
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    How do you know the Indian death rate? No-one else does.
    We know for certain that the official totals are hugely short (some places have had excess deaths in May being greater than normal by a factor of 40 times the official covid death toll in those places)
  • Options

Synchronising sound and vision should not be difficult. Buying a better camera is not that expensive. Watching 30 seconds of output before going live would not have been expensive or difficult. Diagnosis: groupthink.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Denmark has fully reopened too.
  • Options

The same logic would argue that if you run around firing a pistol, we can exercise our free choice to stay at home so you don't hit us. We can, but it doesn't make it right.
    The site has become increasingly ridiculous over this extended lockdown idea. Especially as those of us who do live outside the UK can generally testify that in their fundamentals most people and their countries are pretty much of a muchness - certainly wrt to democracies.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Pretty punchy for the Speaker to accuse the government of misleading him and the House https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1404448260174057479

Boris is at a Nato meeting in Brussels with Joe Biden and later today has to announce his decision to the public

Er, couldn’t Hancock announce to Parliament this afternoon rather than this evening?
    An announcement of this importance has to be Boris

I understand Hancock is announcing it in the HOC later
    So important enough for Boris to make but not important enough for Parliament to hear first.
    If he had not had to be at Nato Brussels with Joe Biden I have no doubt he would be at the HOC right now
    If he can be in Downing Street by 6pm, why couldn’t he be in Parliament by 6pm?
    I do not have his diary to be fair

And the meeting in Brussels has just concluded apparently
    One can perhaps understand why he doesn’t want to face tough questioning in Parliament, after a busy few days, and prefers gentler questions from the press that he can choose to disregard, but it doesn’t look good.
    I doubt the populace care about procedures and Boris is hardly new to doing this

The thing is the Speaker is furious, but as far as I can tell is impotent in doing anything

And of course it infuriates Boris opponents
    It is a self imposed impotence.
    And it matters if you believe in parliamentary democracy.
    Yes it does matter but as long as Boris is PM do not expect convention

He has a track record of this and I do not know how anyone changes him
    How strict is the convention anyway?

I seem to recall complaints about this dating back to when Cameron and Blair were PM too.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830
    Democracy in India...
    A peaceful protester detained without charge for a year now:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/06/india-democracy-freedom-protest/619185/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I'm not so worried about the unvaccinated. The virus will mutate and acquire partial reistance to the vaccines (As is shown with 1 dose AZ against delta). The truth is that it may well end up in a form where it simply spreads through the entire population (Both unvaxxed and vaxxed) but the vaccinated have vastly milder symptons. If the unvaccinated choose to cough up their own lungs that's on them.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

"The Dutch will be allowed to invite four people into their home, instead of two"

Hardly an end to lockdown is it? 🤔
  • Options

Yet by Yougov's very own polling a week ago English voters want the 30 guest wedding limit lifted by 46% to 42%
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1402186103369736192?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

If you read the article referred to it really isn't saying anything like that.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    theakes said:

Just popping back to the by election. The Lib Dems seem more confident in their weekend literature than I have seen in 20 years. Could this be a landslide or will the postal vote get the Cons home.
    A landslide would be something like 4 -7000 majority!

I wouldn't read too much into their literature: they need to project that they are in with a shout.

I'm sticking with 47-42 as my forecast.
  • Options

This is an Alien versus Predator by-election for me.

Boris chokingon lifting lockdown means he deserves to lose C&A.

As far as I can tell the Lib Dems are campaigning on NIMBYism and not liberalism against lockdown, so they deserve to lose C&A.

So why can't they both lose? I don't want 'my own team' to win this week, nor do I want the Lib Dems too. If I was a C&A voter I think I'd spoil my ballot paper.

Question is whether you'd bother to turn out in the forecast rain in order to spoil your ballot.
    Definitely. I've never missed an election, not even locals or PCC, I believe its civic duty to vote.

Across Parliamentary, Local, European and PCC elections I've voted for four different parties in the past. I would spoil my ballot, but I'd never abstain.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Is was a direct quote by the head of the BMA

You are obsessed with GBnews
  • Options
    This is a tricky one, Forza Horizon 5 E3 press conference is on at the same time as Boris...
  • Options

TimS said:

Like the Spectator?

I cannot think of a previous example of a Speaker accusing No 10 of misleading the House. It is a another sign of how bad relations are getting between the Speaker and the Prime Minister.

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1404470184065355778?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Probably, yes. Johnson should just do it from Parliament, rather than a press conference.
    Quite right.

Parliament should be prioritised before press conferences.
    To be fair the government have form here. What will be entertaining is that they got shut of Bercow and expected to get an easier ride. Hoyle is less opinionated on the issues but not so on parliamentary practice.
    Hoyle is has the procedure right, but refuses to exercise any form of censure.

Still waiting for the PM to apologise to the House for his various mendacities.
    As we saw with the unlawful overseas aid cut - which really ought to have been subject to a vote in the Commons - the Speaker is quite prepared to sound off, and do nothing of consequence.
    I doubt it bothers Johnson very much.
    Bring back Speaker Bercow. Bring back the Conservative campaign against the Speaker.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,308
    HYUFD said:

Yet by Yougov's very own polling a week ago English voters want the 30 guest wedding limit lifted by 46% to 42%
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1402186103369736192?s=20
    Probably how the question was asked both times.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Really? Googling it, they've announced they're planning to lift restrictions by October.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Extraordinary - @metpoliceuk account tweeting that "gatherings of more than 30 people are illegal" when there is a specific exception for protests

I am even more shocked than when it turned out Contrarian isn't in touch with the public when it comes to Covid-19
    One piece of advice that I've seen you and other legal people on here give is to never accept a police caution, it came in handy for one of my friends who was just walking through a crime scene but the police picked him out as a suspect from CCTV. They wanted to give him a caution, he refused and said either arrest and charge what you have or fuck off. Obviously they fucked off. I've posted that advice in our WhatsApp group loads of times and he said afterwards if he hadn't had the advice he'd probably have accepted the caution without realising it would destroy his career in financial services.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It’s the same on social media. A hardcore seem obsessed by it. They probably don’t watch it either
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,819

TimS said:

Back to the seasonality question. It's been warm and sunny, and people have been out and about in the fresh air. Might that account for some of the levelling off in case rises recently?

If so then the biblical deluge we're all about to be subjected to from Thursday onwards, for several days at least, isn't good news. Maxima of 13-14C on Friday and mid teens at the weekend under leaden skies and torrential downpours. Los of friends and family crowding indoors.

Maxima of 14c where? Scotland? The London forecast is for 20c on Saturday.
    13-14C on Friday pretty widely including London. Mid teens for much of the country on Saturday but warmer (and muggy) South of the Thames into Sussex, Kent and Hants, and colder (11-12C) in much of the North. A total of between 40 and 60mm rainfall currently modelled from Thursday to Saturday in the SE.

Based on the most recent runs of the ECMWF and GFS models.
  • Options
    May be no bad thing (for us):

EU holiday flight bookings at 50% of pre pandemic levels compared to 20% in the UK.

https://twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1404323864302206978?s=20
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Er, couldn’t Hancock announce to Parliament this afternoon rather than this evening?
    An announcement of this importance has to be Boris

I understand Hancock is announcing it in the HOC later
    So important enough for Boris to make but not important enough for Parliament to hear first.
    If he had not had to be at Nato Brussels with Joe Biden I have no doubt he would be at the HOC right now
    If he can be in Downing Street by 6pm, why couldn’t he be in Parliament by 6pm?
    I do not have his diary to be fair

And the meeting in Brussels has just concluded apparently
    One can perhaps understand why he doesn’t want to face tough questioning in Parliament, after a busy few days, and prefers gentler questions from the press that he can choose to disregard, but it doesn’t look good.
    I doubt the populace care about procedures and Boris is hardly new to doing this

The thing is the Speaker is furious, but as far as I can tell is impotent in doing anything

And of course it infuriates Boris opponents
    It is a self imposed impotence.
    And it matters if you believe in parliamentary democracy.
    Yes it does matter but as long as Boris is PM do not expect convention

He has a track record of this and I do not know how anyone changes him
    How strict is the convention anyway?

I seem to recall complaints about this dating back to when Cameron and Blair were PM too.
    He can't handle scrutiny.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

"Museums, theaters, cinemas and a wide range of other venues can reopen across The Netherlands from June 5, Prime Minister Mark Rutte announced late Friday.

"This is actually the end of the lockdown," he told a news conference.

Restaurants will be allowed to offer indoor dining again and opening hours can be extended until 10pm. The Dutch will also be allowed to invite up to four people to their homes instead of two.

However, employees should still go to workplaces as little as possible, for the time being. "We're not there yet," Rutte cautioned.

A strict lockdown has been in place since mid-December.

Rutte predicted the vaccination campaign will bring more improvements , although the summer will not yet be "completely normal." The government is still warning that travelling entails risks.

If the number of infections and hospitalizations continue to move in the right direction, more restrictions will be relaxed from June 30, Rutte added.

Citizens will then be allowed to host up to eight people in their homes and restaurants and bars will be permitted to stay open until midnight.
    "

It does seem that we're frequently describing our own remaining restrictions as "lockdown" whilst other countries continuing to follow remaining restrictions are "out of lockdown"

I think the term has been hopelessly eroded.
    I mean, I went to the cinema weeks ago. I've eaten out in restaurants indoors and gone to pubs frequently. And been able to go indoors with more than four people.
    Yes, precisely.

People are living more or less normal social lives. As I said my mate was complaining to me about not having been to a concert, and he went to one a fortnight ago. Telling me this, unmasked in a busy cafe, having been in a bar til 2am , that he said didnt apply any restrictions!

Actually I am a bit worried I went to the cafe with him, he hasnt had the vaccine!
  • Options
    Taz said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It’s the same on social media. A hardcore seem obsessed by it. They probably don’t watch it either
    The main people talking about it on here are you and Big G.

It’s quite funny.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If the LDs do win Chesham and Amersham on Thursday, or get close they will have two things to thank.

First, rising Nimbyism in the Home Counties in opposition to new greenbelt development leading to a LD protest vote.

Second, Boris cancelling Freedom Day today leading to some Tory libertarians and hospitality business owners and workers voting ReformUK as a protest

Who
    Farage's new party (now led by Richard Tice) who are standing in the by election on an end Covid restrictions ticket
    https://twitter.com/Alex4CandA/status/1404345100763795459?s=20
    https://twitter.com/reformparty_uk/status/1402584385665355778?s=20
    Has beens
    About to be revived by Boris tonight unfortunately
    In your dreams
    ReformUK could be on 5-10% in the polls by next weekend
    Feel free to concede defeat on your position of a year ago that India would be virtually untouched by covid because of its longevity deficit.
    Absolutely not, Indian death rate per million from Covid now 269, below the 490.2 global average Covid deaths per million and well below the 1,875 Covid deaths per million we have had in the UK.

Yes India has had a lot of cases and is second overall in terms of total cases now but its younger average population still means it has had a significantly lower death rate than the global average, exactly as I predicted
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    How do you know the Indian death rate? No-one else does.
    We know for certain that the official totals are hugely short (some places have had excess deaths in May being greater than normal by a factor of 40 times the official covid death toll in those places)
    We know that Africa and India have had lower Covid death rates than western Europe and the USA, it is not difficult, the highest Covid death rate is amongst over 80s of whom there are lots in the West but relatively few percentage of population wise in Africa and India.

Even taking account of excess deaths and cumulative death rates most of India and most of Africa remains below most of Europe and the USA
    http://www.healthdata.org/special-analysis/estimation-excess-mortality-due-covid-19-and-scalars-reported-covid-19-deaths
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    edited June 2021

Footie is on....

The wedding guest here beat his breast
    For he heard the loud whistle for kick off.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    Is this sort of discussion not what the Oxford COVID-19 Government Response Tracker is meant for? It suggests that the UK is currently more restricted than most countries in Europe (e.g. France, Spain, even Denmark) but less restricted than Ireland, Germany and Italy. Also, perhaps surprisingly, less restricted than China and Australia.
  • Options

TimS said:

Like the Spectator?

I cannot think of a previous example of a Speaker accusing No 10 of misleading the House. It is a another sign of how bad relations are getting between the Speaker and the Prime Minister.

That extract, at least, casts no judgment either way.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

"Museums, theaters, cinemas and a wide range of other venues can reopen across The Netherlands from June 5, Prime Minister Mark Rutte announced late Friday.

Restaurants will be allowed to offer indoor dining again and opening hours can be extended until 10pm. The Dutch will also be allowed to invite up to four people to their homes instead of two.

However, employees should still go to workplaces as little as possible, for the time being. "We're not there yet," Rutte cautioned.

Rutte predicted the vaccination campaign will bring more improvements , although the summer will not yet be "completely normal." The government is still warning that travelling entails risks.

If the number of infections and hospitalizations continue to move in the right direction, more restrictions will be relaxed from June 30, Rutte added.

Citizens will then be allowed to host up to eight people in their homes and restaurants and bars will be permitted to stay open until midnight.
    "

It does seem that we're frequently describing our own remaining restrictions as "lockdown" whilst other countries continuing to follow remaining restrictions are "out of lockdown"

I mean, I went to the cinema weeks ago. I've eaten out in restaurants indoors and gone to pubs frequently. And been able to go indoors with more than four people.
    A good point. Lockdown = the Stay At Home order plus most things closed.

Anybody describing this current scenario here as us being "locked down", I just switch off and disregard the rest of the comment.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Democracy in India...
    A peaceful protester detained without charge for a year now:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/06/india-democracy-freedom-protest/619185/

Meanwhile in the USA black boy is attacked and tasered by police, he wasn’t resisting, for the crime of vaping.

https://twitter.com/drrjkavanagh/status/1404220794096455684?s=21
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Some people really are miserable sods.

I doubt they would feel similar if it was a close friend or family member's wedding.

People like rules that don't affect them personally.
    Turns out, most of the population.
    I believe @MaxPB has noted this before.

Britain is a country of ageing curtain-twitchers, who glory in the misery of others.

If you want to understand the U.K., read the Daily Mail.
    Indeed I have and it's very true. It makes me want to leave the country.
    Do it! I have a pretty negative view of what England has become, so I left. Now they can do what they like and I'm safe from their madness north of the wall. Much less worrisome when its Someone Else's Problem.
    Mate, you're in Scotland it's full of a completely different kind of c***. As I've said on here a few times, we're waiting until August to make the decision, if we're not out of legal measures by then we're plotting a route out of the UK. Options at the moment are Zurich, San Diego and possibly somewhere in Italy. The final option would essentially be a very early retirement option as we could probably liquidate everything we own, buy a nice villa and then just do the odd day of contracting here and there. I don't think we're ready for that though so it will very likely be option 1 or 2.

Ideally Boris grows a pair and tells the scientists to fuck off and get back in their corner a week from now and reopens ASAP. I'm just not sure how brave he will be and not unlocking is the easy way out.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MaxPB said:

One piece of advice that I've seen you and other legal people on here give is to never accept a police caution, it came in handy for one of my friends who was just walking through a crime scene but the police picked him out as a suspect from CCTV. They wanted to give him a caution, he refused and said either arrest and charge what you have or fuck off. Obviously they fucked off. I've posted that advice in our WhatsApp group loads of times and he said afterwards if he hadn't had the advice he'd probably have accepted the caution without realising it would destroy his career in financial services.
    Golden rules for dealing with the rozzers

1) Never ever accept a caution

2) Never speak to police without legal representation (preferably your own if you can afford it, duty sols are massively overworked and even more underpaid but still better than nothing.)

If the media really wanted to focus on police misconduct they should go for cautions. The amount of times they've told people that should accept a caution and they'll walk out of the police station without a stain on their record otherwise they'll have a very messy media focussed trial is criminal behaviour on the part of the police.

With more and more organisations carrying out DBS checks the police are actively ruining so many lives with their behaviour.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Did you realise that Big G North Wales is an anagram for “GB News harlot”?

Downright spooky.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

"

Quite!

Today's threads had some absolute nonsense comments (not this matter particularly, but the general fantasising about reality) and it's very tiresome. Almost as bad as the run-up to a GE. And, still to come this evening, the ceremonial throwing of toys out of prams.

--AS
  • Options

Taz said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It’s quite funny.
    A lot more posters have commented on it than you seem to think

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    I think tonight's announcement could sink the Tories in Chesham and Amersham, with crucial votes going over to the Reform Party.
  • Options

Taz said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It’s quite funny.
    Lol. I’ve seen a few minutes of it this morning as people here were rattling on about it. I mentioned it this morning, mainly to do with production values and how people have reacted to it, but have been out all day at Westonbirt arboretum. Only just getting back in.

Still project away old chap. It’s comical. This station will be dead in 12 months.
  • Options
    Mail at it again i see with this headline
    Covid cases soar 36% amid fears Boris will delay unlocking BEYOND July 19 and may even REVERSE his road-map - despite desperate vaccine push
  • Options
    isam said:

felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    24s

Conservative 44% (+1)
    Labour 34% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 7 June

Follow @redfieldwilton
    to see our VI first

34pc is high for Labour.. trouble for Boris and it could easily get closer to 40pc teflon doesn't.ladt forever
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Golden rules for dealing with the rozzers

1) Never ever accept a caution

2) Never speak to police without legal representation (preferably your own if you can afford it, duty sols are massively overworked and even more underpaid but still better than nothing.)

If the media really wanted to focus on police misconduct they should go for cautions. The amount of times they've told people that should accept a caution and they'll walk out of the police station without a stain on their record otherwise they'll have a very messy media focussed trial is criminal behaviour on the part of the police.

With more and more organisations carrying out DBS checks the police are actively ruining so many lives with their behaviour.
    Yup, it was the DBS check that would get him. I have to have one every year as to most people who directly or indirectly handle client money so he does too. He spoke to the legal people provided by his workplace insurance afterwards and they said the advice is to never accept a caution. It's better to get arrested, fight it and then walk away. A caution is a 5 year stain on your record for nothing.
  • Options

TimS said:

Like the Spectator?

Click the link:

Hoyle said that he had been told no decisions had been taken only to find out that there was an embargoed document setting out what changes were coming. A visibly furious Hoyle declared from the chair that: ‘This House is being misled’.

Considering that misleading the House is a resigning matter, this is a remarkably serious accusation for the Speaker to level against Downing Street. It is not hard to follow it through to its logical conclusion; and I cannot think of a previous example of a Speaker accusing No. 10 of misleading the House. It is another sign of how bad relations between the Speaker and the Prime Minister have become.

Not a lot of "don't care" there....
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

"

A good point. Lockdown = the Stay At Home order plus most things closed.

Anybody describing this current scenario here as us being "locked down", I just switch off and disregard the rest of the comment.
    I agree. But I think that "lockdown" is sometimes used lazily to mean government constraints.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Downright spooky.
    And garden Walker is an anagram of R E Glad Wanker.
  • Options

isam said:

felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    24s

Conservative 44% (+1)
    Labour 34% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 7 June

Follow @redfieldwilton
    to see our VI first

34pc is high for Labour.. trouble for Boris and it could easily get closer to 40pc teflon doesn't.ladt forever
    2 less than it was last week!
  • Options
    Quite.

I'd be interested to see whether there's any vetting of the emails @SimonMcCoyTV
    is reading out on GB News right now - someone claiming to be a paramedic saying they haven't dealt with a covid patient in three months (when we have thousands of cases a day) sounds a bit @_DHOTYA

https://twitter.com/stokel/status/1404473305881616385
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Downright spooky.
    You are unbelievable nasty
  • Options

Mail at it again i see with this headline
    Covid cases soar 36% amid fears Boris will delay unlocking BEYOND July 19 and may even REVERSE his road-map - despite desperate vaccine push

Who,is,writing for,them now. Independent sage and zero,covid zealots.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

"

Quite!

Today's threads had some absolute nonsense comments (not this matter particularly, but the general fantasising about reality) and it's very tiresome. Almost as bad as the run-up to a GE. And, still to come this evening, the ceremonial throwing of toys out of prams.

--AS
    I think the main issue with this delay is the precedent it sets. If a delay is based on what might be rather than what is it makes one wonder what is to stop further delays.
  • Options

TimS said:

Like the Spectator?

Click the link:

Hoyle said that he had been told no decisions had been taken only to find out that there was an embargoed document setting out what changes were coming. A visibly furious Hoyle declared from the chair that: ‘This House is being misled’.

Considering that misleading the House is a resigning matter, this is a remarkably serious accusation for the Speaker to level against Downing Street. It is not hard to follow it through to its logical conclusion; and I cannot think of a previous example of a Speaker accusing No. 10 of misleading the House. It is another sign of how bad relations between the Speaker and the Prime Minister have become.

Not a lot of "don't care" there....
    Again, the writer does not pass his own opinion, albeit the Speaker’s view is vividly conveyed.

(I tend not to click on Spectator links as I do not have a sub)
  • Options
    I took Mike's advice a while back and placed a bet on the LibDems at 25-1.

The wheels are coming off Johnson's machine.

He has just been laid into by the Speaker for misleading the House of Commons: an extraordinarily furious statement by Lindsey Hoyle.

The roadmap is in tatters. It's obvious, as I said on here a month ago, that controls will continue for months and years. Those who have stolen your rights won't return them.

And Brexit is falling apart over Northern Ireland, as it was always likely to do when you put bellicose people like Lord Frost and Emmanuel Macron in the same room.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/14/time-start-preparing-no-deal-20/

Peak Boris was May 25th, just before Dom Cummings attacked him.

The long slow (but not necessarily) linear slide is underway. And now we will start to see Johnson for what he really is.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    24s

Conservative 44% (+1)
    Labour 34% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 7 June

Follow @redfieldwilton
    to see our VI first

Which pollster?
  • Options
    Taz said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Downright spooky.
    And garden Walker is an anagram of R E Glad Wanker.
    “Taz” is Amharaic for “one who suckles at the camel’s bottom”.
  • Options

I took Mike's advice a while back and placed a bet on the LibDems at 25-1.

The wheels are coming off Johnson's machine.

He has just been laid into by the Speaker for misleading the House of Commons: an extraordinarily furious statement by Lindsey Hoyle.

The roadmap is in tatters. It's obvious, as I said on here a month ago, that controls will continue for months and years. Those who have stolen your rights won't return them.

And Brexit is falling apart over Northern Ireland, as it was always likely to do when you put bellicose people like Lord Frost and Emmanuel Macron in the same room.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/06/14/time-start-preparing-no-deal-20/

Peak Boris was May 25th, just before Dom Cummings attacked him.

The long slow (but not necessarily) linear slide is underway. And now we will start to see Johnson for what he really is.

Well hopefully not before time...sick of the good ole boris what a character types
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Quite.

I'd be interested to see whether there's any vetting of the emails @SimonMcCoyTV
    is reading out on GB News right now - someone claiming to be a paramedic saying they haven't dealt with a covid patient in three months (when we have thousands of cases a day) sounds a bit @_DHOTYA

Just wondering are there any journalists actually doing their jobs or are they all glued to GBNews?

Bullshit emails / callers, isn't that absolute standard on any show that interacts with the public. Transfer deadline day its a running joke about the nonsense they put up on BBC and Sky saying such and such saw Ronaldo at Teeside airport or some such nonsense.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    24s

Conservative 44% (+1)
    Labour 34% (-2)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (+2)
    Green 5% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 7 June

Follow @redfieldwilton
    to see our VI first

Which pollster?
    This one
  • Options

Quite.

It sounds a bit ‘Simon Denton’ from ‘This Time’ to me.

My wife works for a trust, they don’t have thousands of cases a day but it’s certainly not the case there have been none for months and that’s somewhat dangerous to read out.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think tonight's announcement could sink the Tories in Chesham and Amersham, with crucial votes going over to the Reform Party.

Dom Cummings' latest attack on Johnson over the dodgy HS2 data won't have helped the tories either. I have a former tory friend in the constituency who will never vote for them again.
This discussion has been closed.